PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Mike Miller to Cleveland

D-Rose
07-15-2014, 05:22 PM
@WojYahooNBA 1m
Mike Miller has reached an agreement on a deal with Cleveland, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

Quite a grab for Cleveland. Adds a vet who can contribute off the bench.

What sucks about this for Heat fans especially is that Micky Arison will be writing this guy a $6 million check next season due to being amnestied lol. It's probably part of why Miller can afford to take a tad smaller salary.

GOBB
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
:sleeping

ImKobe
07-15-2014, 05:23 PM
shocked.

GODbe
07-15-2014, 05:24 PM
:banana:

jzek
Allen next :bowdown:

LeBron's clutch shooters will all be back soon! :bowdown:

RoundMoundOfReb
They're pretty set on the wings right now...Need big time front court improvement though...

D-Rose
07-15-2014, 05:25 PM
WojYahooNBA 15s
Miller will sign a two-year, $5.5M deal with Cavs, league source tells Yahoo Sports.

That's one hell of a bargain.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 05:26 PM
Houston got owned once again :oldlol:

VengefulAngel
07-15-2014, 05:27 PM

Taking a discount to play with Lebron... Let's see if anyone else follows.

Uncle Drew
07-15-2014, 05:27 PM
:rockon:

sweggeh
07-15-2014, 05:28 PM
ffs...

Milbuck
They really need a backup C..Varejao cannot be trusted to be healthy all season.

RoundMoundOfReb
When is the last time somebody took a significant pay cut to sign with the Cavs? #LeBronEffect #BiggerThanBasketball

RedBlackAttack
Allen next :bowdown:

LeBron's clutch shooters will all be back soon! :bowdown:
Don't want Allen.

Happy with this signing. I always wanted Mike Miller on this team. He should be a great fit alongside Kyrie and Dion, too.

Fox
07-15-2014, 05:29 PM
Wow. That's a great deal.

no pun intended
And so this is the advent of a new breed of players: ring-chaser chasers

LongLiveTheKing
Heat should have never amnestied him....

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 05:30 PM
Hmm.. Like Ray Allen, Mike Miller will be done soon.. If not already.

Although I have more trust in Mike Miller than Ray Allen at this Point.

James Jones?

RBA, what is the word on Kevin Love?

RedBlackAttack
PG - Kyrie Irving / Matthew Dellavadova
SG - Andrew Wiggins / Dion Waiters
SF - LeBron James / Mike Miller / Joe Harris
PF - Tristan Thompson / Anthony Bennett
C - Anderson Varejao / Brendan Haywood

...coming together nicely.

DMAVS41
Great deal...this Cavs team badly needs shooting.

Still not sure how the spacing is going to work.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 05:31 PM

I actually don't like that very much.

The spacing is horrid with the starters and the defense won't be elite either...

D-Rose
They really need a backup C..Varejao cannot be trusted to be healthy all season.
They traded for Brendan Haywood...but to be honest I haven't seen him play in years so idk if that counts for much lol

Goldrush25
And so this is the advent of a new breed of players: ring-chaser chasers

So it appears players can't win in the eyes of you guys. They're either selfish mercenaries or they're ring chasers.:oldlol:

Never mind the fact that no one seriously thinks Cleveland can win the championship next year.

BigTicket
07-15-2014, 05:32 PM
Nice, we needed a good shooter.

Now we need to find a backup center who can play defense, and a veteran backup PG. The ideal candidates would be Okafor and Williams/Pargo, but I don't think we'll be able to afford them.

RoundMoundOfReb
RBA says they traded for him because he has a very unique contract situation that makes him extremely valuable in a trading situation next off-season..

RedBlackAttack

James Jones?

As far as I know, they're still demanding Wiggins which means there will be no deal. I think the Warriors have resumed talks with the T-Wolves over Love, though I believe they're still unwilling to include Klay Thompson.

Eventually, Minnesota is going to have to accept the best offer on the table. They have no leverage and every team in the NBA knows it. They're trying to play teams off of one another, but it isn't working. Still no Klay. Still no Wiggins.

Smook A.
No surprise.

"Wherever Brony Bron goes, I go" -- Mike Miller

HomieWeMajor
07-15-2014, 05:33 PM
We will get up and recover. It's what we do.

Kingwillball
07-15-2014, 05:34 PM
Miller if healthy can still play was one of Memphis most clutch players along with Miami.

RedBlackAttack
I actually don't like that very much.

The spacing is horrid with the starters and the defense won't be elite either...
I still think Bennett will eventually become the starter at the 4 this season. He really has a perfect skillset alongside Kyrie/James.

And, I also think Tristan works much better as a backup 5 than a starting 4. I just put him there because I didn't want people flipping out about Bennett and turning this thread into an anti-AB thing.

ArbitraryWater
As far as I know, they're still demanding Wiggins which means there will be no deal. I think the Warriors have resumed talks with the T-Wolves over Love, though I believe they're still unwilling to include Klay Thompson.

Eventually, Minnesota is going to have to accept the best offer on the table. They have no leverage and every team in the NBA knows it. They're trying to play teams off of one another, but it isn't working. Still no Klay. Still no Wiggins.

Hmm... Looks to me like ultimately, in the end, when Minnesota needs to complete a move, Cleveland still has the best chances then :banana:

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 05:35 PM
RBA says they traded for him because he has a very unique contract situation that makes him extremely valuable in a trading situation next off-season..
That is correct. Haywood is actually pretty valuable as essentially an $11 million trade exception next season. That's really the only reason he was picked up by the Cavs.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 05:36 PM
I still think Bennett will eventually become the starter at the 4 this season. He really has a perfect skillset alongside Kyrie/James.

And, I also think Tristan works much better as a backup 5 than a starting 4. I just put him there because I didn't want people flipping out about Bennett and turning this thread into an anti-AB thing.

Yea...I agree with that. That makes a lot more basketball sense.

Man...if you guys don't make moves...I really hope Bennett works out in that role.

He has the ability to make or break this team over the next few years if you don't make a move for Love or someone else.

GOBB
07-15-2014, 05:36 PM

Why would anyone give him more than that? 34

Kingwillball
07-15-2014, 05:38 PM

James Jones?

Its only a 2 year deal and he is not a starter great pickup if healthy.

Uncle Drew
Andrew Ungvari @DrewUnga
Again, the Heat will be paying Mike Miller $6.6 million to play with LeBron in Cleveland next season.

lol

Uncle Drew
Shot 46% for 3 last year.

lilteapot
07-15-2014, 05:39 PM
He played 82 games with the Grizz last year. Hope he's able to stay healthy this season

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Its only a 2 year deal and he is not a starter great pickup if healthy.

Good point.. Cavs needed shooting too

Now get Jones/Allen :lol

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 05:41 PM
Yea...I agree with that. That makes a lot more basketball sense.

Man...if you guys don't make moves...I really hope Bennett works out in that role.

He has the ability to make or break this team over the next few years if you don't make a move for Love or someone else.
Other moves are coming, but it would hurt to lose Bennett at this point, mainly because I still think he could end up being very, very good and we're going to get pennies on the dollar. That's why instead of trading for Love and basically killing our salary situation for the next six years around three guys, I'd almost rather make one more relatively small move with a veteran big while keeping most of our young core intact.

Most people think moving for Love is the biggest swing for the fences for this team. In fact, I think the real swing for the fences is to continue making moves like this one for proven, veteran guys who aren't going to destroy your cap situation in the hopes that the young guys really start to step up... which is completely possible now that LeBron James is on the roster to mentor them and David Blatt will be installing a motion offense.

BigTicket
07-15-2014, 05:42 PM
Andrew Ungvari @DrewUnga
Again, the Heat will be paying Mike Miller $6.6 million to play with LeBron in Cleveland next season.

lol

And we get Miami's 1st round pick :D

But they got 2 rings out of it, so they still got the better end of the deal.

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 05:43 PM
He was really rejuvenated last year, but most people don't realize it because he was playing in Memphis. He looked totally done his last year in Miami, but he's not.

GOBB
Shot 46% for 3 last year.

Cool story. :confusedshrug:

He was really rejuvenated last year, but most people don't realize it because he was playing in Memphis. He looked totally done his last year in Miami, but he's not.

He did, but I wouldnt give him more than what he was given. Thats fair for a guy who shoots just 3's and nothing else. Contract year but i'll give him benefit of the doubt given he was more healthy last year.

D-Rose
I bet Denver was...and that's why there was such a hold up in him deciding.

ArbitraryWater
And we get Miami's 1st round pick :D

But they got 2 rings out of it, so they still got the better end of the deal.

We'll get 2 rings out of it as well :D (Yes, I'm saying "we"... Accept me, fellow Cavs fans! :cheers: )

GOBB
07-15-2014, 05:45 PM
I bet Denver was...and that's why there was such a hold up in him deciding.

Yeah I read they were and another team. Cant remember. Stupid. But good for Cavs. I just wouldnt give him more.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 05:46 PM
denver was offering him 3 years 12 mil

Uncle Drew
07-15-2014, 05:48 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BsnZbcKCUAEg5xO.jpg

:eek:

Kingwillball
07-15-2014, 05:49 PM

Cause of bad back

D-Rose
07-15-2014, 05:49 PM
Yeah I read they were and another team. Cant remember. Stupid. But good for Cavs. I just wouldnt give him more.
I believe Dallas and Houston were also on the chase.

Yo Cavs fans, how about this guy benefitting from playing off LeBron?

http://cdn.fansided.com/wp-content/blogs.dir/272/files/2014/07/matthew-dellavedova-nba-boston-celtics-cleveland-cavaliers.jpg

36.8% from 3 last season.
37.8% from 3 in 4 years of college.

inclinerator
07-15-2014, 05:52 PM
http://i.imgur.com/37NfpVT.png

NumberSix
07-15-2014, 05:54 PM
Wow. Extremely nice pick up by Cleveland. Didn't actually think they could do it.

How the hell do you convince someone to live in Cleveland, FOR LESS MONEY???

D-Rose
07-15-2014, 05:56 PM
Wow. Extremely nice pick up by Cleveland. Didn't actually think they could do it.

http://cdn.solecollector.com/media/sneakers/images/mike-miller-flight-five-id-lebron.jpg

NumberSix
07-15-2014, 05:59 PM
Super happy for Mike Miller. Dude deserves to be on a contending team.

D-Rose
lol
@WindhorstESPN 25m
Last year Mike Miller feigned back injury when he heard Cavs might claim him off waivers. Today he signs with them despite larger offers.

GOBB

He's 34 and cool with Bron. At his age and role its about comfort level.

DStebb716
07-15-2014, 06:01 PM
He's really not that good anymore. A lot was made about this for nothing.

Kingwillball
07-15-2014, 06:03 PM
Cool story. :confusedshrug:

He did, but I wouldnt give him more than what he was given. Thats fair for a guy who shoots just 3's and nothing else. Contract year but i'll give him benefit of the doubt given he was more healthy last year.

He is actually a solid rebounder and underrated passer and defender.

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 06:03 PM

You saw him last year? :facepalm

Gave OKC nightmares in the playoffs, drained clutch 3's in OT killin' it.. damn that was fun times :lol

navy
07-15-2014, 06:04 PM
lol
:roll:

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 06:05 PM
lol

#LeBronEffect

Meticode
07-15-2014, 06:07 PM
You don't read deeper into the story. He's not the Mike Miller he was almost 10 years ago averaging 16PPG+ per game. He's only a great spot-up shooter now. Before last year the dude looked totally done, he was barely able to run up and down the court then last year in Memphis he looked totally different and had a great season.

The biggest story with this signing is only one thing and one thing only. Is LeBron able to get free agents no matter how big or large to come to Cleveland and try to win? Mike Miller was the first test of this.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-15-2014, 06:12 PM
from realcavsfans

http://s7.postimg.org/dqeoa4hp7/mike_conspiracy.png

hawkfan
07-15-2014, 06:14 PM
You don't read deeper into the story. He's not the Mike Miller he was almost 10 years ago averaging 16PPG+ per game. He's only a great spot-up shooter now. Before last year the dude looked totally done, he was barely able to run up and down the court then last year in Memphis he looked totally different and had a great season.

The biggest story with this signing is only one thing and one thing only. Is LeBron able to get free agents no matter how big or large to come to Cleveland and try to win? Mike Miller was the first test of this.

Miller also can be a shooting coach for their young players. Great pickup.

Drew Gooden would be a great addition at vet minimum. Cleveland needs inside scoring badly, and Gooden in 10-12 mpg can do that.

Meticode
07-15-2014, 06:15 PM
Miller also can be a shooting coach for their young players. Great pickup.

Drew Gooden would be a great addition at vet minimum. Cleveland needs inside scoring badly, and Gooden in 10-12 mpg can do that.
Why?

TheReal Kendall
07-15-2014, 06:20 PM
This Cavs team is starting to look like the Heat

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 06:21 PM
lol
I had forgotten about that. Dude definitely faked an injury. I can't exactly blame him with the state of the franchise at that moment in history. :oldlol:

It's amazing what six months can do. The Cavs may be one of the premiere destinations in the league right now. Much of that has to do with James, but things also seemingly stabilized a bit before that.

*David Blatt was almost unanimously hailed as a great coaching hire.

*Assistant Ty Lue is very well liked by players across the league.

*Kyrie Irving has committed to the Cavs longterm, and he did so 60 seconds after the moratorium on player/team discussions was up.

*Another top draft pick has joined an already stacked young core.

Is this arguably the greatest offseason any team has had in NBA history? I guess only time will truly tell, but considering where things were at midseason last year and where they are now, it is almost too amazing to even fathom.

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 06:23 PM
This Cavs team is starting to look like the Heat
Meh, I don't associate Miller with Heat nearly as much as I do, say, Ray Allen (which is one of the big reasons I don't want him). Miller is a guy I wanted on the Cavs badly during LeBron's first seven years here. I always thought he was a perfect match.

DMV2
07-15-2014, 06:24 PM
Heat should have never amnestied him....
Miller was ONLY good in the Finals, otherwise he was complete trash in a Heat uni. He almost retired due to a bad back.

Was he better last year in Memphis?

-Lebron23-
07-15-2014, 06:26 PM

*Kyrie Irving has committed to the Cavs longterm, and he did so 60 seconds after the moratorium on player/team discussions was up.

Let's be real, none of the above would get you a coveted free agent.

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 06:26 PM
Miller was ONLY good in the Finals, otherwise he was complete trash in a Heat uni. He almost retired due to a bad back.

Was he better last year in Memphis?

He was pretty great in 2013.. I remember how Spoesltra refused to play him more minutes during the finals even though he was money

NumberSix
07-15-2014, 06:27 PM
I had forgotten about that. Dude definitely faked an injury. I can't exactly blame him with the state of the franchise at that moment in history. :oldlol:

It's amazing what six months can do. The Cavs may be one of the premiere destinations in the league right now. Much of that has to do with James, but things also seemingly stabilized a bit before that.

Is this arguably the greatest offseason any team has had in NBA history? I guess only time will truly tell, but considering where things were at midseason last year and where they are now, it is almost too amazing to even fathom.
I still can't help but laugh my ass off at Calipari turning down an $80 million dollar contract from the Cavs and said he would've done it if they had LeBron. Only for them to get LeBron 30 days later.

:roll:

NumberSix
07-15-2014, 06:28 PM
Meh, I don't associate Miller with Heat nearly as much as I do, say, Ray Allen (which is one of the big reasons I don't want him). Miller is a guy I wanted on the Cavs badly during LeBron's first seven years here. I always thought he was a perfect match.
Miller played in Miami longer than Ray did and won more chips there.

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 06:29 PM
Like I said, James is the main reason obviously. But, it feels like the franchise was really stabilizing before he decided to come back... and, it was part of the reason James decided to return to the Cavs so soon after leaving, imo.

At the end of the day, no highly coveted FA wants to go to a bad team. It's not like the Lakers are having a ton of success on the FA market despite being in the second largest market and being one of the most storied franchises in the league.

Too much is made of the city when it comes to FAs, imo.

kennethgriffin
07-15-2014, 06:31 PM
great shooter. but averages only 6-7 points... he might hit a shot here and there

cavs still suck. 3-4 years away from being anything.. and miller will be retired by then.

cavs need to stick with the youth movement

Uncle Drew
OT, but what the hell. Baron Davis wants to return to the NBA. Do it Griffin!

hawkfan
Why?

You want to rely on AV, Thompson and Bennett for inside scoring to win a championship?

Ok.

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 06:33 PM
Miller played in Miami longer than Ray did and won more chips there.
Yes, but Allen was a much more visible and central piece in his two years in Miami than Miller ever was. In his three years in Miami, Miller averaged 12, 16 and 14 minutes respectively in their playoff runs.

Meanwhile, Allen -- even at his advanced age -- was logging 27 minutes per game this past post-season.

navy
07-15-2014, 06:35 PM
Ray Allen is better than Mike Miller. Mike Miller can catch and shoot, but Ray Allen is a constant movement threat and the defense must account for it every second.

DStebb716
07-15-2014, 06:36 PM

Sure. It's cool that he got a free agent to come, but I'll be more interested when it's a player he didn't play with previously that still has some value.

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 06:36 PM
Ray Allen is better than Mike Miller. Mike Miller can catch and shoot, but Ray Allen is a constant movement threat and the defense must account for it every second.
Still don't want him, and I consider Ray Allen maybe the greatest shooter I've ever seen. He's still good offensively. But, I do not want a team full of mercenaries. The Cavs need to create their own identity, not become the Heat of the North.

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 06:38 PM

No disrespect to RBA, but I especially cracked up at the Tyron Lue part

hawkfan
If the Cavs add Ray Allen, that's two good pickups by LBJ.

LBJ doin work.

LoPro4u2c
Still don't want him, and I consider Ray Allen maybe the greatest shooter I've ever seen. He's still good offensively. But, I do not want a team full of mercenaries. The Cavs need to create their own identity, not become the Heat of the North.

In B4 Lebron recruits James Jones, Joel Anthony, and Ray Allen to the Cavs.

RedBlackAttack
07-15-2014, 06:40 PM
You want to rely on AV, Thompson and Bennett for inside scoring to win a championship?

Ok.
James is going to be playing a good deal of PF, me thinks. Especially now with this signing, the wing positions are looking pretty good.

hawkfan
07-15-2014, 06:42 PM
James is going to be playing a good deal of PF, me thinks. Especially now with this signing, the wing positions are looking pretty good.

Relying too much on LBJ to carry the team, which he got sick of in his previous stint in Cleveland and last year in Miami, is probably not a good strategy.

Gooden on vet minimum for 10-12 mpg is a good pickup. Provides some energy points off the bench with Miller and possibly Allen.

NumberSix
07-15-2014, 06:43 PM
I think Ray is just more recent in your mind because he played their last season and Miller didn't.

navy
07-15-2014, 06:44 PM
Im sure very few share that train of thought, but okay.

If I was the Cavs I would make the team like this

Kyrie
Lebron
Love
Defensive center
3/D players

That's a multiple ring squad right there. Screw the Cavs identity.

SpecialQue
07-15-2014, 06:45 PM
Ring chasing worthless scumbag piece of shit fvckface.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Other moves are coming, but it would hurt to lose Bennett at this point, mainly because I still think he could end up being very, very good and we're going to get pennies on the dollar. That's why instead of trading for Love and basically killing our salary situation for the next six years around three guys, I'd almost rather make one more relatively small move with a veteran big while keeping most of our young core intact.

Most people think moving for Love is the biggest swing for the fences for this team. In fact, I think the real swing for the fences is to continue making moves like this one for proven, veteran guys who aren't going to destroy your cap situation in the hopes that the young guys really start to step up... which is completely possible now that LeBron James is on the roster to mentor them and David Blatt will be installing a motion offense.

My problem with that is this;

Waiters and Thompson are going to get PAID by somebody this year and next. I worry that keeping Thompson this year...will just result in his value getting over-rated and some stupid team will give him a ton of money and hamstring your cap that way.

I personally would just rather get the legit superstar if possible.

If Wiggins for Love is dead. Then it doesn't have to be Love...but I still would trade Thompson and or Waiters and the picks for stuff. I don't see the point in keeping those guys honestly because you are going to have to pay them so soon.

NumberSix
07-15-2014, 06:48 PM
Ring chasing worthless scumbag piece of shit fvckface.
He already has rings.

OnFire
07-15-2014, 06:56 PM
As a heat fan why the fck do i care if my billionare owner is paying some shit off the salary cap? What the hell else do you other fans worry about? Whoever uses that to try to jab a heat fan is a moron. He can pay mike miller 100 million for all i give a crap.

Cocaine80s
07-15-2014, 07:08 PM
My problem with that is this;

Waiters and Thompson are going to get PAID by somebody this year and next. I worry that keeping Thompson this year...will just result in his value getting over-rated and some stupid team will give him a ton of money and hamstring your cap that way.

I personally would just rather get the legit superstar if possible.

If Wiggins for Love is dead. Then it doesn't have to be Love...but I still would trade Thompson and or Waiters and the picks for stuff. I don't see the point in keeping those guys honestly because you are going to have to pay them so soon.
i predict waiters thompson and some picks for Love

NumberSix
07-15-2014, 07:09 PM
Who the hell wants Waiters?

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:09 PM

That is ideal for the Cavs, but the Wolves have said no.

DonDadda59
07-15-2014, 07:11 PM

This time next year (or even mid season): 'LeBron needs more help!' :(

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:12 PM
This time next year (or even mid season): 'LeBron needs more help!' :(

Exactly.

ArbitraryWater
07-15-2014, 07:13 PM
LeBron needs more help to beat the Spurs

Cocaine80s
07-15-2014, 07:16 PM
That is ideal for the Cavs, but the Wolves have said no.
Love is a 1 yr rental for most teams

No one would offer more than that for him

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:19 PM
Love is a 1 yr rental for most teams

No one would offer more than that for him

It depends.

We don't know the inside information here.

outbreak
07-15-2014, 09:27 PM
Anyone in Cleveland hung out with his brother yet?

Meticode
07-15-2014, 09:30 PM
Everyone.

KOBEtherealKing
07-15-2014, 09:39 PM
Lakers would gladly take him

NugzFan
07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
Everyone.

Everyone?

Meticode
07-15-2014, 09:40 PM
That's what Mike Miller is, but I'm sure you knew this already.

Mr. Incredible
07-15-2014, 09:47 PM
LeBron needs more help to beat the Spurs
Every team needs more help to beat the Spurs.

stalkerforlife
07-15-2014, 10:03 PM
Let the stacking begin.

:facepalm