PDA

View Full Version : What the Rockets could have done instead

Ca$H
07-15-2014, 07:13 PM
Rockets royally screwed up in terms of having a plan C. Plan A was Melo and plan B was Bosh. A good plan C would have been signing Lance for 4 years 40 million and absorbing Ilyasova's contract(Bucks would receive Pelicans 1st rounder in exchange). Then re-sign Parsons by using his bird rights.

Lance
Harden
Parsons
Ilyasova
Howard

How is that not a legit title contender?

Smook A.
07-15-2014, 07:15 PM
We should've just traded Lin, Asik & Parsons for Rondo + a filler back in February.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:17 PM
Rockets royally screwed up in terms of having a plan C. Plan A was Melo and plan B was Bosh. A good plan C would have been signing Lance for 4 years 40 million and absorbing Ilyasova's contract(Bucks would receive Pelicans 1st rounder in exchange). Then re-sign Parsons by using his bird rights.

Lance
Harden
Parsons
Ilyasova
Howard

Okay...I'm glad someone posted this as well. I've been scratching my head about this as well.

Even with signing Ariza. Why didn't the Rockets use their remaining cap space to fill out the roster and then bring back Parsons.

How much space did they have after they signed Ariza? Couldn't they have fit in Lance at like 10 million a year and signed another point guard that they badly need?

Then you bring back Parsons and you are just loaded.

Like the idea of absorbing someone like Ilaysova for Thad Young as well in place of one of the guys above.

???

I guess I'm confused why they didn't just get Ariza at 8 a year and Lance at 10 a year...that is just better than Bosh anyway actually.

Harden
Lance
Ariza
Parsons
Howard

Uhhh....that actually is insanely good and the defense gets dramatically better as well. Wouldn't that leave them enough room to pick up Jones and Montejunas as well?

longtime lurker
07-15-2014, 07:19 PM
What the Rockets should have done is not let Parsons out of his contract trying to sign him for cheap.

UK2K
07-15-2014, 07:24 PM
What the Rockets should have done is not let Parsons out of his contract trying to sign him for cheap.
Keep him as an indentured servant? Yeah that's what we should have done.

Unfortunately Dwight signed with Houston partly because we agreed to let Parsons out of his slavery a year earlier. It wasn't our choice, it was Dwight's.

UK2K
07-15-2014, 07:26 PM
Okay...I'm glad someone posted this as well. I've been scratching my head about this as well.

Even with signing Ariza. Why didn't the Rockets use their remaining cap space to fill out the roster and then bring back Parsons.

How much space did they have after they signed Ariza? Couldn't they have fit in Lance at like 10 million a year and signed another point guard that they badly need?

Like the idea of absorbing someone like Ilaysova for Thad Young as well in place of one of the guys above.

???

I guess I'm confused why they didn't just get Ariza at 8 a year and Lance at 10 a year...that is just better than Bosh anyway actually.

Harden
Lance
Ariza
Parsons
Howard

Uhhh....that actually is insanely good and the defense gets dramatically better as well. Wouldn't that leave them enough room to pick up Jones and Montejunas as well?
I ask myself that same thing every morning when I wake up and we don't sign anyone of note.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:30 PM
I ask myself that same thing every morning when I wake up and we don't sign anyone of note.

Am I missing something here? Couldn't they have signed Ariza and Lance for less than Bosh?

Seems like they could have signed Lance and Ariza and kept Jones/Montejunas...then gone over the cap with Parsons. Bring in a vet minimum point guard and center....and be as good as anyone in the league.

I'm so confused if the above was possible.

shortsoptional
07-15-2014, 07:31 PM

???

Harden
Lance
Ariza
Parsons
Howard

I could easily be wrong, but wouldn't they have to make all those signings happen before the 72 hour Parsons window? Meaning, if they wanted Lance, they'd have to have signed an offer sheet to him before Parsons signed his and got Ariza signed all before Parsons deadline? Unless they worked out a S&T, they would have been pressed for time. Especially if Plan A was Bosh and he waited on LeBron for his decision. Team sounds great... I'm just not sure time and procedures would have allowed for this to be a legit option.

Edit: Also, the Parsons cap hold went to like 2.7 or something once he signed... and Lance's cap hold of 10 mil once they signed the offer sheet. Does that leave enough to even sign Ariza at 8?

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:34 PM
I could easily be wrong, but wouldn't they have to make all those signings happen before the 72 hour Parsons window? Meaning, if they wanted Lance, they'd have to have signed an offer sheet to him before Parsons signed his and got Ariza signed all before Parsons deadline? Unless they worked out a S&T, they would have been pressed for time. Especially if Plan A was Bosh and he waited on LeBron for his decision. Team sounds great... I'm just not sure time and procedures would have allowed for this to be a legit option.

I don't see why though...because Parsons signed his offer sheet with the Mavs and then the Rockets plan was to sign Bosh and then match the offer sheet.

The Rockets still could have matched Parsons after they signed Ariza...I know that for sure.

So I'm asking why they didn't just go out and get Lance or another 8 to 10 million a year player, keep Jones/Montejunas...then go over the cap by matching with Parsons like they planned to do with Bosh.

I actually like that team way better because they would have been able to keep their two pf's that can play center if need be as well.

I'm just really confused why a team would be willing to commit like 22 million a year to Bosh for 4 years. But won't commit 18 million a year for 4 years to Lance/Ariza.

Mr Exlax
07-15-2014, 07:34 PM
We still have Kevin McHale as our head coach. I don't care what roster moves we make, we're still gonna lose with McHale. Why do you people not see it?

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:36 PM

Edit: Also, the Parsons cap hold went to like 2.7 or something once he signed... and Lance's cap hold of 10 mil once they signed the offer sheet. Does that leave enough to even sign Ariza at 8?

I'm confused about the bold. They were going to be able to sign Bosh at roughly 22 million a year according to reports...and then match with Parsons.

Why couldn't they have signed Ariza to 8 a year and Lance to 10 a year and the match Parsons?

I don't follow.

longtime lurker
07-15-2014, 07:36 PM

Unfortunately Dwight signed with Houston partly because we agreed to let Parsons out of his slavery a year earlier. It wasn't our choice, it was Dwight's.

WTF are you talking about you idiot? I remember you were one of the idiots that said Bosh would sign and Parsons would be matched :lol what happened clown? They should have picked up his option and negotiated an extension next season. The only people that couldn't see that this could backfire are Rockets homers and your idiotic GM.

OnFire
07-15-2014, 07:40 PM
There is an exact order you have to do the deals and I don't think you could do all that stuff, THEN sign parsons. Probably same reasons why the Heat are still making contracts official that already have been decided upon.

kentatm
07-15-2014, 07:42 PM
:biggums:

WTF?

Lance and Harden would be god awful together of one had to run the point

what is wrong with you guys? This shit aint 2K

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
There is an exact order you have to do the deals and I don't think you could do all that stuff, THEN sign parsons. Probably same reasons why the Heat are still making contracts official that already have been decided upon.

So they could sign bosh to 22 million and then match parsons....but they couldn't sign ariza and lance...then match parsons? If true...that seems absurdly stupid for a rule.

Again, I know for sure they could have matched Parsons after they signed Ariza.

I'm asking if they could have signed another player in addition to Ariza and then matched Parsons. Seems like they could have...

KungFuJoe
07-15-2014, 07:43 PM
We still have Kevin McHale as our head coach. I don't care what roster moves we make, we're still gonna lose with McHale. Why do you people not see it?

Pretty much this. McHale could have the 1992 Dream Team and they still would have gotten bounced in the first round.

shortsoptional
07-15-2014, 07:45 PM
[/B]

I'm confused about the bold. They were going to be able to sign Bosh at roughly 22 million a year according to reports...and then match with Parsons.

Why couldn't they have signed Ariza to 8 a year and Lance to 10 a year and the match Parsons?

I don't follow.

They said Max... but according some sites i follow http://mavericks.scout.com/
...they said it was only up to like 19.6 mil they could offer Bosh.

And with Lance...is he not a RFA?

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:45 PM
:biggums:

WTF?

Lance and Harden would be god awful together of one had to run the point

what is wrong with you guys? This shit aint 2K

I actually don't really think that at all. I'd make Lance the 6th man though.

If you are willing to pay Bosh 22 million a year. Ariza/Lance for 17 million while you keep both your pf's on the roster should not scare you off.

I actually like the idea of Lance/Harden/Ariza/Parsons/Howard at times....

kentatm
07-15-2014, 07:46 PM
I actually don't really think that at all. I'd make Lance the 6th man though.

If you are willing to pay Bosh 22 million a year. Ariza/Lance for 17 million while you keep both your pf's on the roster should not scare you off.

I actually like the idea of Lance/Harden/Ariza/Parsons/Howard at times....

the ball movement would suck so much dick its not funny.

sorry but you are waaaaaay off here.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:47 PM
They said Max... but according some sites i follow http://mavericks.scout.com/
...they said it was only up to like 19.6 mil they could offer Bosh.

And with Lance...is he not a RFA?

Yea...I'm just throwing him out there for number purposes though. It's not so much him...it's the numbers.

So 19.6 to Bosh...why not spend that 19.6 on Ariza and other things? That is my point.

You'd have 11.6 left to improve the roster...then you match Parsons.

The Rockets just seem like they've given up any chance to contend this year yet again....and who knows what happens the year after. A lot of precious years are slipping away for Howard.

longtime lurker
07-15-2014, 07:50 PM
So they could sign bosh to 22 million and then match parsons....but they couldn't sign ariza and lance...then match parsons? If true...that seems absurdly stupid for a rule.

Again, I know for sure they could have matched Parsons after they signed Ariza.

I'm asking if they could have signed another player in addition to Ariza and then matched Parsons. Seems like they could have...

Of course they could have but they were on the clock. I don't see how Lance and Harden fit. They're similar types of players except one looks like he showers and plays defense

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:51 PM
the ball movement would suck so much dick its not funny.

sorry but you are waaaaaay off here.

Good luck stopping Harden or Lance with Ariza and Parsons spacing out the floor.

How are you stopping them?

The Rockets had the 4th best offense last year playing Lin, Beverly, and Jones big minutes....and Casspi/Garcia a combined like 40 minutes a game.

Where was the ball movement last year? You make it sound like Lin was just carving people up...LOL

That team is definitely way better than it was last year on both ends...like way better.

Sorry...

shortsoptional
07-15-2014, 07:51 PM
Yea...I'm just throwing him out there for number purposes though. It's not so much him...it's the numbers.

So 19.6 to Bosh...why not spend that 19.6 on Ariza and other things? That is my point.

You'd have 11.6 left to improve the roster...then you match Parsons.

The Rockets just seem like they've given up any chance to contend this year yet again....and who knows what happens the year after. A lot of precious years are slipping away for Howard.

Oh...no I totally agree with your logic. I was just contributing to the specific players that we had been talking about. I feel like the timing of trying to go for a RFA like Lance and trying to get in within the window of Parsons would have made that difficult.

But on the whole, yea, I can understand all of that. Howard chose Houston because he thought they could contend faster. Well, they didn't go any further than Dallas last year and don't appear to be doing much more this year either.

Mr Exlax
07-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Parsons wanted out anyway. He felt like he was the third star that we were looking for and Morey didn't. He's gonna be great for Dallas, but wouldn't be as great with Houston. Simple as that.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 07:56 PM
Of course they could have but they were on the clock. I don't see how Lance and Harden fit. They're similar types of players except one looks like he showers and plays defense

I was just using Lance as a guy that fits in numbers wise...I realize that they might not have had enough time with him being restricted.

I don't think Lance/Harden is a problem at all actually.

You play Lance as the 6th man and then at end of games depending on the situation.

What Rockets team did you guys watch last year?

They had an elite offense...and they heavily relied on Lin (not nearly the player Lance is on either end) and Garcia/Daniels (in the playoffs)...and those guys aren't close to what Ariza gives you.

That is way better than what happened. Again, it didn't have to be Lance...likely it wouldn't have been, but they should have gone out and improved the team and brought Parsons back. Now they are in big trouble to even make the playoffs.

UK2K
07-15-2014, 07:57 PM
Am I missing something here? Couldn't they have signed Ariza and Lance for less than Bosh?

Seems like they could have signed Lance and Ariza and kept Jones/Montejunas...then gone over the cap with Parsons. Bring in a vet minimum point guard and center....and be as good as anyone in the league.

I'm so confused if the above was possible.
Your guess is as good as mine.

They could have signed Ariza and Stephenson then matched Parsons, although I wouldn't want them to.

But even without matching Parsons, Stephenson and Ariza were easy signings.

Instead we diddled and signed random Euros and nobodies and now we have enough cap room to sign good role players but no impact players. They still have the MLE but even then, nobody who can provide a spalsh like they could have had four days ago.

Not matching Parsons was a good move. Not doing anything with their cap space was stupid.

kentatm
07-15-2014, 07:59 PM
Good luck stopping Harden or Lance with Ariza and Parsons spacing out the floor.

How are you stopping them?

The Rockets had the 4th best offense last year playing Lin, Beverly, and Jones big minutes....and Casspi/Garcia a combined like 40 minutes a game.

Where was the ball movement last year? You make it sound like Lin was just carving people up...LOL

That team is definitely way better than it was last year on both ends...like way better.

Sorry...

it would be easy to stop b/c all you have to do is watch Harden or Lance pound the ball until its late in the shot clock.

no man, that team would blow at offense.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 08:03 PM
Your guess is as good as mine.

They could have signed Ariza and Stephenson then matched Parsons, although I wouldn't want them to.

But even without matching Parsons, Stephenson and Ariza were easy signings.

Instead we diddled and signed random Euros and nobodies and now we have enough cap room to sign good role players but no impact players. They still have the MLE but even then, nobody who can provide a spalsh like they could have had four days ago.

Not matching Parsons was a good move. Not doing anything with their cap space was stupid.

Right. The only thing about matching Parsons is that it lets you go over the cap and really put the icing on the cake and just say..."**** it"...we are going all in on the title for the next 3 or 4 years.

My point is that I'm confused why a team so willing to pay Bosh 20 million a year in cap...would then scoff at the idea of paying 8 to Ariza and then use the remaining 12 or so on someone else.

You guys could have done something like this then;

Thomas at 7 million a year
Ariza at 8 million a year
Hawes at 5 million a year.

Then you match Parsons.

Isn't that team way better than just having Bosh/Parsons? It is in my opinion.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 08:10 PM
it would be easy to stop b/c all you have to do is watch Harden or Lance pound the ball until its late in the shot clock.

no man, that team would blow at offense.

what do you think they did last year dude?

It's the exact same team except this time you have Ariza instead of Garcia/Casspi...and Lance instead of Lin.

It's absolutely better on offense and defense.

What are you talking about?

Here were the Rockets last year in the regular season in order of minutes played;

Harden
Parsons
Howard
Beverly
Lin
Jones
Asik
Garcia
Powell
Casspi

They finished the regular season with the 4th best offense.

Now you are telling me the following team would go from elite on offense to sucking? Just no....

Harden
Parsons
Howard
Beverly
Lance
Ariza
Jones
Montejunas
Daniels

I think you really under-rate Lance's ability to make plays on and off the ball. He's a better offensive player than you are giving him credit for. You are essentially saying that losing Lin and replacing him with Lance takes the team from the 4th offense to the 20th or worst offense. Because everything else would stay the same...and you add Ariza (who is just a far better player than Omri and Garcia combined). Lance in a free flowing system like the Rockets? He'd do way better than playing on those inept offensive teams in Indiana with nobody to make plays for...and even then Lance was able to have a very similar assist and turnover rate as Lin did. And he's a far better player just overall than Lin.

Do you really stand by that?

That Rockets team would be looking at a top 5 offense again and a top 8 defense. They'd be deadly.

ISH...were losing Lin/Asik for Lance/Ariza will turn your offense from elite to sucking....ROFL

YouGotServed
07-15-2014, 08:21 PM
lol Stephenson is horrible. No thanks, and 15 M for Parsons is way too much. I'm good.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 08:36 PM
lol Stephenson is horrible. No thanks, and 15 M for Parsons is way too much. I'm good.

We were just throwing shit out there for numbers.

I already posted what I would have done if I was the Rockets and they gave me 20 million in cap space and were willing to match the Parsons offer.

So instead of Bosh at 20 million...from the jump I would have done this;

Thomas at 7
Ariza at 8
Hawes at 5

Bingo...have a great 6th man/backup pg in Thomas. Get your stretch big in Hawes. And get a great fit SF that can drop threes and play elite wing defense that this team sorely was missing with Harden, Lin, Omri, and Garcia.

Those three players are worth more than Bosh in my opinion.

Then you match Parsons and have tons of lineup flexibility. Can go super small and super big.

SwishSquared
07-15-2014, 08:38 PM
Right. The only thing about matching Parsons is that it lets you go over the cap and really put the icing on the cake and just say..."**** it"...we are going all in on the title for the next 3 or 4 years.

My point is that I'm confused why a team so willing to pay Bosh 20 million a year in cap...would then scoff at the idea of paying 8 to Ariza and then use the remaining 12 or so on someone else.

You guys could have done something like this then;

Thomas at 7 million a year
Ariza at 8 million a year
Hawes at 5 million a year.

Then you match Parsons.

Isn't that team way better than just having Bosh/Parsons? It is in my opinion.
I think Thomas was easily attainable and considering his vastly different game from Beverly, that would have been a nice change of pace at the PG spot. If Morey went full on freakshow with his roster movements, he could have done:

-Harden + Parsons S&T for Melo + Shump + Hardaway Jr
-Asik + DoMo for Millsap (saw this one floated around for a while)
-Lin + Capela for Thomas S&T (I'd bet Kings would do this prior to Collison signing. They seem totally to straddle line between unpredictable/incompetent)
-This would keep them over the cap so they could use MLE still to bring in a back-up big man. My understanding is if if full amount not given, team's not hard-capped at $81M.
-Bring back Canaan & Troy Daniels. Use BAE/MLE for another wing and big

Potential roster:
Beverly-Shump-Melo-Millsap-Howard
Thomas-Daniels-THJ-Jones-Ed Davis
Canaan-Johnson-Papanikolaou-Aminu-Udoh

Disclaimer: Not all moves (perhaps none) are realistic, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Morey was so bold as to attempt this.

DMAVS41
07-15-2014, 08:56 PM
I think Thomas was easily attainable and considering his vastly different game from Beverly, that would have been a nice change of pace at the PG spot. If Morey went full on freakshow with his roster movements, he could have done:

-Harden + Parsons S&T for Melo + Shump + Hardaway Jr
-Asik + DoMo for Millsap (saw this one floated around for a while)
-Lin + Capela for Thomas S&T (I'd bet Kings would do this prior to Collison signing. They seem totally to straddle line between unpredictable/incompetent)
-This would keep them over the cap so they could use MLE still to bring in a back-up big man. My understanding is if if full amount not given, team's not hard-capped at $81M.
-Bring back Canaan & Troy Daniels. Use BAE/MLE for another wing and big

Potential roster:
Beverly-Shump-Melo-Millsap-Howard
Thomas-Daniels-THJ-Jones-Ed Davis
Canaan-Johnson-Papanikolaou-Aminu-Udoh

Disclaimer: Not all moves (perhaps none) are realistic, but I wouldn't be surprised at all if Morey was so bold as to attempt this.

Yep...and a guy like McRoberts fits in great as well.

Should have gone down that path with getting 3 guys instead of going after Bosh...then match Parsons.

Rockets would have had the best team in the league.

JtotheIzzo
07-15-2014, 08:59 PM

Lance
Harden
Parsons
Ilyasova
Howard

Its a middle of the road team, perpetual 4-5 seed.

russwest0
07-15-2014, 09:00 PM

lol what, you guys let Dwight Howard make your important decisions like that?

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm