PDA

View Full Version : Kidd to use Giannis as a Point Guard

PAOK
07-16-2014, 09:01 AM
On Monday night in the Bucks' game against the Utah Jazz, Antetokounmpo played almost exclusively as the primary ball-handler in a team-high 32 minutes.

But does Kidd really think Antetokounmpo could handle the point guard — or point forward — duties during the regular season?

The answer is a qualified yes.

"We've seen it in practice," Kidd said. "When you see a player's comfort level with the ball — no matter what size — we wanted to see it in game action. We slowly have started letting him have the ball and running the offense."

A 7ft PG?? this would create some interesting matchups, and would allow jabari to play at his natural SF position. do u think giannis can handle it?

CelticBaller
07-16-2014, 09:04 AM
Is it too late to hop on the bucks bandwagon?

Ca$H
07-16-2014, 09:08 AM
Giannis has the potential to be a better version of Lamar Odom.

QuebecBaller
07-16-2014, 09:08 AM
:eek: :eek:

BoutPractice
07-16-2014, 09:09 AM
:banana:
Bucks are going to be one of the most exciting teams in the league next year.

fragokota
07-16-2014, 09:11 AM
Good, he was supposed to be a PG anyways

QuebecBaller
07-16-2014, 09:12 AM
PG - Giannis
SG - Middleton
SF - Parker
PF - Henson
C - Sanders

Nobody under 6'8... the anti Don Nelson lineup :lol

Dragic4Life
07-16-2014, 09:15 AM
He ain't Lebron James.:facepalm

BoutPractice
07-16-2014, 09:17 AM
Apparently he's now 6'9.5 barefoot, so about 6'11 and shoes. Possibly still growing.

He's at least as tall as Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis :eek:

Jailblazers7
07-16-2014, 09:18 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. He might spend some moments in a PG type role but a lot of wings are capable of that.

QuebecBaller
07-16-2014, 09:20 AM
He ain't Lebron James.:facepalm

???

SpanishACB
07-16-2014, 09:27 AM
I'll believe it when I see it. He might spend some moments in a PG type role but a lot of wings are capable of that.

This. I don't care who brings the ball up court or who receives the first pass when the offense starts. Whoever handles the play is the PG.

East_Stone_Ya
07-16-2014, 09:31 AM
would make a lot of turnovers

poido123
07-16-2014, 09:42 AM
That Bucks team is crazy long :eek:

Kidd of all people should know who would make a good Point guard, huge gamble.

I'm happy to see their team develop, guys like Milbuck need something to cheer :lol

Taller than CP3
07-16-2014, 09:47 AM

Too bad we'll never see them on television.

Thorpesaurous
07-16-2014, 09:49 AM
If they can play Giannis at the Point, then the extra rebounding he can provide from that position, and the extra rim protection you can theoretically get out of Larry Sanders, you could really play small and put Parker at the 4.

The only problem is they don't really have the wing players to make that work. Illyasova would wind up as the four if they were together, at least that's who he'd be defended by, which is sort of the whole point. In order to have Parker defended by the 4, you'd need to go Giannis with some combo of Mayo/Wolters/Knight/Delfino at the other two spots. That would create some hard core spacing issues for defenses.

I don't know how good they'll be, but they'll be fascinating next year. I hope Kidd is as creative as he seemed after the seemingly plug and play Nets roster fell apart last year. Because this team could be really interesting. They're still a year away from adding the extra pieces that would allow them to really use the flexibility I feel like having Giannis and Parker will allow them.

JohnFreeman
07-16-2014, 09:50 AM
East is going to be fun this year

Jameerthefear
07-16-2014, 10:26 AM
No. Just no.

pauk
07-16-2014, 10:52 AM
Giannis has been a point-guard his entire life, its his natural role/instincts offensively. Only in the NBA did he have to transition into another position/role.... he got the same treatment as Sun Yue (6'10" pure PG from China that played SF for the Lakers)....

He has ok vision/passing but his ballcontrol at that size is what stands out, he can develope into a great PG, maybe, i mean he has lots of potential, so young.

TheMilkyBarKid
07-16-2014, 10:58 AM
East is going to be fun this year
Hell yeah it is!
Even the really bad teams seem to be improving.
If they can get this to work he will be a nightmare to defend.

NattyPButter
07-16-2014, 11:04 AM
He'll bring the ball up court but he sure isnt gaurding other teams PGs. He would get blown by.

gasolina
07-16-2014, 11:44 AM
I think he's still be a SF, but would be counted to facilitate.

Makes sense since Bran Knight isn't a PG and lacks natural instincts to run a team. Plus defensively Giannis can be a little more distruptive roaming instead of picking up the ball handler at PG.

Shop Ilyasova for another playmaker at the 2.

Obligatory Depth Chart
C - Sanders / Zaza
F - Parker / Henson
F - Giannis / Middleton
G - lol no one / Mayo
G - Knight / Wolters

JellyBean
07-16-2014, 12:51 PM
http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/THISGONBGUD.gif

LoneyROY7
07-16-2014, 12:53 PM
No. Just no.

Bucks' potential and talent >> Magic's potential and talent. Fact.

wally_world
07-16-2014, 02:26 PM
:applause:

i actually noticed this in the few summer league games i saw. he's alot smoother/more fluid than Odom/Diaw and guys like that who were point-forwards, so i think he CAN actually play PG.

HurricaneKid
07-16-2014, 03:18 PM
I think he's still be a SF, but would be counted to facilitate.

Makes sense since Bran Knight isn't a PG and lacks natural instincts to run a team. Plus defensively Giannis can be a little more distruptive roaming instead of picking up the ball handler at PG.

Shop Ilyasova for another playmaker at the 2.

Obligatory Depth Chart
C - Sanders / Zaza
F - Parker / Henson
F - Giannis / Middleton
G - lol no one / Mayo
G - Knight / Wolters

Couple issues.

First off, Knight is NOT a PG. He might look like a PG. But his vision, ability to organize the offense, etc is strictly 2 guard stuff. He is fine there if you have a bigger PG that can defend 2s. Middleton can play plenty of 2 as well. Henson shoots ~30% outside of 9 feet. He is a C. Plain and simple. He is a rim protector. So really its more like:

C - Sanders / Zaza /Henson
F - Ilyasova / Parker / OBryant
F - Giannis / Parker / Middleton
G - Knight / Middleton / Mayo / Bayless
G - LOL / Wolters / LOL

Now I like Wolters more than most. But holy hell that is the worst backcourt in the league.

LBJ4MVP23
07-16-2014, 03:20 PM
Immediately after this his wife asked him if he feels comfortable with him on offense and defense as his PG.... His wife has not been heard from since.

wally_world
07-16-2014, 03:26 PM
Couple issues.

First off, Knight is NOT a PG. He might look like a PG. But his vision, ability to organize the offense, etc is strictly 2 guard stuff. He is fine there if you have a bigger PG that can defend 2s. Middleton can play plenty of 2 as well. Henson shoots ~30% outside of 9 feet. He is a C. Plain and simple. He is a rim protector. So really its more like:

G - LOL / Wolters / LOL

Now I like Wolters more than most. But holy hell that is the worst backcourt in the league.

Knight / Giannis / Parker / Ilyasova / Sanders will be the starting 5. Giannis can play point on offense and have Knight guard the PGs.

Milbuck
07-16-2014, 03:28 PM
This is ****ing terrific news. Last year was a nightmare, his potential was obvious then but Drew used him in the absolute worst possible way. He took a tremendous prospect with legitimate point guard abilities and used him exclusively as a spot up shooter in small minutes.

It's great to hear that Kidd sees Giannis's skill there and is willing to experiment with it in games. It's going to be pretty ugly at times, considering this will be Giannis's first time translating his PG game to the NBA..his inexperience will cost us games. But that's the perfect situation for the Bucks to be in, you get to develop the shit out of Giannis (and Jabari's) game all while getting to tank as planned. In a couple years, that duo could be nasty.

Bucks' potential and talent >> Magic's potential and talent. Fact.
Pretty much this. For anyone who's been watching Giannis during SL, it's obvious his ceiling is as high as any 21 and under player in the NBA not named Anthony Davis.

Milbuck
07-16-2014, 03:32 PM
Knight / Giannis / Parker / Ilyasova / Sanders will be the starting 5. Giannis can play point on offense and have Knight guard the PGs.
And this too. Only thing is we should start Henson instead of Ilyasova at the 4. Henson has reportedly been busting his ass and hitting the weight room. He said he's gained 16-18 pounds and is up to 235, it's time we develop him. That could be a sick defensive 4/5 combo between him and Sanders. The only reason Ilyasova should start is to up his trade value. If our purpose next year is to tank and develop our young talent, Henson has to start.

atljonesbro
07-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Can't wait to watch. Giannis reminds me of a gazelle when I watch him

gasolina
07-16-2014, 03:36 PM
Couple issues.

G - LOL / Wolters / LOL

Exactly what I said earlier. You can slide in Knight at the 1 so he can use his length on D. With Giannis running plays, I agree the Bucks could use another playmaker in the starting lineup. Could be another 1, but I'd prefer a combo guard who can hold his own at the 2 defensively.

Ilyasova is being shopped heavily. Hopefully for the playmaking 2 guard.

On to Zaza / Henson. It seems a bit of a waste to see Henson play behind Zaza. Wonder what they'll do next

CavaliersFTW
07-16-2014, 03:46 PM
Apparently he's now 6'9.5 barefoot, so about 6'11 and shoes. Possibly still growing.

He's at least as tall as Dwight Howard and Anthony Davis :eek:
:applause: finally someone got his height right, yeah currently 6-9.5 without shoes and a quarter inch under 6-11 in shoes. Grew a half inch from last year. He and Durant are probably about the same height, assuming Durant also grew a little from his rookie season. The two tallest and longest "perimeter" players in the league at the moment I think.

UK2K
07-16-2014, 04:13 PM
Beverly is gonna rip the shit out of him.

Its not a matter of whether you can handle the ball when your defender is closer to the bounce than you are.

Milbuck
07-16-2014, 04:16 PM

Its not a matter of whether you can handle the ball when your defender is closer to the bounce than you are.
****ing LOL at Beverley guarding a near 7 footer. Giannis will just post that little shit up. Beverley has no chance. No chance.

jimmy77x
07-16-2014, 04:16 PM
Too bad we'll never see them on television.

They will get 4 games...on NBA TV

dreamwarrior
07-16-2014, 04:21 PM
giannis can play all 5 positions

JimmyMcAdocious
07-16-2014, 04:55 PM
They will get 4 games

And 26 in the playoffs. Spurs in 6.

Pointguard
07-16-2014, 06:12 PM

Giannis dribbles hard enough that this isn't a problem. Beverly by himself isn't a worry because Giannis giant step guarantees he will stay in front of Beverly if he tries a hard angle on him. While Beverly does have Dwight behind in some cases, Giannis, with momentum, is a bit too quick.

Pointguard
07-16-2014, 06:18 PM
:applause: finally someone got his height right, yeah currently 6-9.5 without shoes and a quarter inch under 6-11 in shoes. Grew a half inch from last year. He and Durant are probably about the same height, assuming Durant also grew a little from his rookie season. The two tallest and longest "perimeter" players in the league at the moment I think.
Giannis is definitely going to play taller than Durant. His blocking shots already seems that way. Nevermind that Giannis does a lot of the Doc J statue of liberty move much more. One hand usage makes you a lot longer.

TheReal Kendall
07-16-2014, 06:20 PM
Let's see him get across half court with Bradley or Beverly harassing him.

Milbuck
07-16-2014, 06:28 PM
Let's see him get across half court with Bradley or Beverly harassing him.
:oldlol: 6' Beverley is not going to harass near 7' Giannis. And it's not like Beverley is peak Tony Allen to begin with..he's an extremely overrated defender.

chips93
07-16-2014, 06:38 PM
giannis can play all 5 positions

lets not get ahead of ourselves. the guy averaged 7ppg last year, he is still learning to play one position

Cocaine80s
07-16-2014, 06:40 PM
wtf when did Kidd become Bucks coach?

And giannis will average 8 t/o a game if hes full time pg

HurricaneKid
07-16-2014, 06:45 PM
wtf when did Kidd become Bucks coach?

And giannis will average 8 t/o a game if hes full time pg

:confusedshrug:

Kobe Avg 6.5 last year.

Euroleague
07-16-2014, 06:49 PM
Giannis has been a point-guard his entire life, its his natural role/instincts offensively. Only in the NBA did he have to transition into another position/role.... he got the same treatment as Sun Yue (6'10" pure PG from China that played SF for the Lakers)....

He has ok vision/passing but his ballcontrol at that size is what stands out, he can develope into a great PG, maybe, i mean he has lots of potential, so young.

That's total bullshit.

He didn't play point guard in Greece. He played small forward and occasionally was used as a point forward in high school games.

Milbuck
07-16-2014, 06:54 PM
That's total bullshit.

He didn't play point guard in Greece. He played small forward and occasionally was used as a point forward in high school games.
Keep spewing this crap. And I suppose Giannis wasn't a Greek League All-Star at 17 either, huh?

Euroleague
07-16-2014, 07:24 PM
He wasn't even playing on the senior men's team of a third division team in Greece at age 17.

He was playing in the JUNIOR team of a THIRD division team in Greece at age 17.

Milbuck
07-16-2014, 07:29 PM
He wasn't even playing on the senior men's team of a third division team in Greece at age 17.

He was playing in the JUNIOR team of a THIRD division team in Greece at age 17.
http://i.imgur.com/GdB72Hu.png
http://i.imgur.com/fRiXv8c.png

Maga_1
07-16-2014, 07:50 PM
Keep spewing this crap. And I suppose Giannis wasn't a Greek League All-Star at 17 either, huh?

Nop.

Euroleague
07-16-2014, 08:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/GdB72Hu.png
http://i.imgur.com/fRiXv8c.png

He was not an all star in Greek League in 2013, when he was 18, not 17. Learn to subtract.

He was also not an all star in Greek League when he was 17, because as I said, he was playing in a JUNIOR club then. JUNIOR, as in the boys' team. And in Greece's THIRD division.

And when he was 18 in 2013, not 17 (again learn to subtract), he was playing in Greece's second division, which means he could NOT be a Greek first division all star.

The second division in Greece does not have an all star game genius.

And here is the list of all the actual 12 players that were actually SELECTED as all stars in 2013, when he was 18, not 17 (again learn to subtract):

He was NOT named as an all star. Which any brain dead fool could figure out, because he didn't even play in the freaking Greek League. It's hard to be named an all star of a league you don't play in.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=el&u=http://www.sport24.gr/Basket/ElladaBasket/Esake/ola_ta_asteria_sto_all_star_game.2155887.html&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dhttp://www.sport24.gr/Basket/ElladaBasket/Esake/ola_ta_asteria_sto_all_star_game.2155887.html%26bi w%3D1680%26bih%3D867

2013 Greek League All Stars:

The Greek Team:

Dimitris Diamantidis
Vassilis Spanoulis
Nikos Pappas
Kostas Sloukas
Kostas Charalampidis
Kostas Papanikolaou
Vlantimir Giankovits
Georgios Printezis
Mike Bramos
Sofoklis Schortsanitis
Lazaros Papadopoulos
Michalis Tsairelis

The Rest of the World:

Acie Law
Roko-Leni Ukic
Eric McCollum
Terrell Stoglin
Brent Petway
James Gist
Landon Milbourne
Jonas Maciulis
Jeremy Hunt
Stephane Lasme
Will Coleman
Kyle Hines

GOBB
07-16-2014, 08:09 PM
Now the kid is 7 foot. What next? Start of season he's 7'2?

CavaliersFTW
07-16-2014, 10:03 PM
Now the kid is 7 foot. What next? Start of season he's 7'2?
For accuracy sake this has already been pointed out in this thread but he's currently 6-9.5 without shoes, or 6-10 and 3/4 with shoes. Which is up a half inch from his draft measurements.

Euroleague
07-17-2014, 08:13 AM
For accuracy sake this has already been pointed out in this thread but he's currently 6-9.5 without shoes, or 6-10 and 3/4 with shoes. Which is up a half inch from his draft measurements.

For "accuracy" sake this is bullshit. He is NOT growing. Just STOP IT.

2 days after that bullshit claim by the Bucks GM, the Bucks trainer said he measured him AFTER that claim and he was 6-10 1/2 in shoes with 1 1/2 in shoes on.

It's called being different heights at different times of the day genius. Not "getting taller" or "growing". He's the same freaking height he was before the start of the 2012-13 season at Filathlitikos.

The height of your body fluctuates during the day. It isn't "getting taller".

Let me guess though, Wilt's height didn't fluctuate, he was always the same height no matter what right?

Jasper
07-17-2014, 09:39 AM
just an experiment...

he will play point SF when he needs to, during the game.

Kidd has not ruled out having a back court of 2 pg's to get the balling moving up court and ball rotation.

The game will be quite fast in Milwaukee this coming season ... problem is a 40 win season is not going to happen.

iznogood
07-17-2014, 09:44 AM
:oldlol: 6' Beverley is not going to harass near 7' Giannis. And it's not like Beverley is peak Tony Allen to begin with..he's an extremely overrated defender.
I'm not saying Beverly will or won't harass Giannis, but size wasn't an issue when Chris Paul punked KD in the playoffs last season.

L.A. Jazz
07-17-2014, 09:48 AM
you can never have enough guys who can bring up the ball.

Nets fan 93
07-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Gonna create the matchup problems like he did in Brooklyn. Antetokoumpo might have the handles.. But does he have the vision?

Euroleague
07-17-2014, 07:37 PM
Gonna create the matchup problems like he did in Brooklyn. Antetokoumpo might have the handles.. But does he have the vision?

More like he has the vision, but he does not have the handles. His handles are barely passable for a small forward.

He travels almost every time he touches the ball. It just does not get called because it's the NBA. It's LeBron James level "ball handling".

3 steps to go the length of the floor and carrying almost the whole time.

HomieWeMajor
07-17-2014, 07:39 PM
Wow I don't think there has even been a 7 foot point guard before. Mismatch galore.