PDA

View Full Version : Gibson or Fender?

outbreak
07-16-2014, 07:01 PM
Question for people who play guitars here, which do you prefer to play?

I've always preferred Fender but I'm thinking of picking up another guitar soon and was thinking of trying to find a Gibson I like for a change. My only solid body guitar right now is a telecaster which probably makes getting a strat or another tele just an indulgence.

L.Kizzle
07-16-2014, 07:20 PM
I have a fender bass and a Gibson guitar and a Yamaha/korg keyboards.

dr.hee
07-16-2014, 07:24 PM
Neither. Why stick to Fender vs Gibson? I'd rather look at pickup configuration, scale length, fret size, neck dimensions and stuff like that. If it happens to be a Strat, LP or whatever the big 2 offer, that's cool. But you'll miss out on a lot of cool stuff if you're limiting yourself to these brands only.

outbreak
07-16-2014, 07:33 PM
Neither. Why stick to Fender vs Gibson? I'd rather look at pickup configuration, scale length, fret size, neck dimensions and stuff like that. If it happens to be a Strat, LP or whatever the big 2 offer, that's cool. But you'll miss out on a lot of cool stuff if you're limiting yourself to these brands only.

That's true, right now I have my telecaster, a gretsch, a cort, a fender accoustic and an epiphone. I won't buy a guitar until I play it and find out if I like the feel for it or not.

NumberSix
07-16-2014, 07:57 PM
Nothing beats a good ol' Les Paul

YouGotServed
07-16-2014, 07:59 PM
Fender :oldlol:

dr.hee
07-16-2014, 08:05 PM
That's true, right now I have my telecaster, a gretsch, a cort, a fender accoustic and an epiphone. I won't buy a guitar until I play it and find out if I like the feel for it or not.

Yeah, somehow I can't get used to the LP style scale length and fretboard. No idea why, just doesn't feel right to me. No matter how good or expensive the guitar is. That's why I like bridge humbuckers in strat style guitars...which isn't that cool with most Fenders out of the box since they apparently don't like the idea of a single tone control for the bridge pu. Yeah thank you Fender, the only harsh sounding position on your freaking guitars doesn't have a tone control. Except for some lazy anniversary special editions or something like that, where they advertise bigger frets as a huge deal.

Anyway, since you've got an Epi already...is the upgrade in quality to real Gibson actually that big? My sample size is irrelevant of course, but from what I've played so far (which isn't a lot since I'm playing lefty), higher prized Gibson is kind of a crapshoot.

Gonna conclude my incredibly helpful post by admitting I'm kinda biased against both companies. You're welcome.

Levity
07-16-2014, 08:07 PM
in highschool, i went the prototypical high school rockband route and got a telecaster (loved it). but now, id prefer a gibson out of the two.

Duggrr
07-16-2014, 08:09 PM
They both serve their purpose, but I lean towards Fender considering they match the music I play more. I have a Mexican Strat, Japanese Jazzmaster and an American Jazz Bass. I'm also in the market for a Fender Amp as well, as an upgrade to my cheap AC15.

I'm considering looking getting into Rickenbackers if I can somehow manage to buy one for a decent price. Anyone have experience with them?

PHX_Phan
07-16-2014, 08:17 PM
Never liked any of the Gibsons or Epiphones I've played. Not bad guitars, just didn't like the feel of the necks at all.

I would say Fender out of the two, but agree with others to expand your search and check out what works for you. I liked Schecter guitars when I was playing.

outbreak
07-16-2014, 08:23 PM
Yeah, somehow I can't get used to the LP style scale length and fretboard. No idea why, just doesn't feel right to me. No matter how good or expensive the guitar is. That's why I like bridge humbuckers in strat style guitars...which isn't that cool with most Fenders out of the box since they apparently don't like the idea of a single tone control for the bridge pu. Yeah thank you Fender, the only harsh sounding position on your freaking guitars doesn't have a tone control. Except for some lazy anniversary special editions or something like that, where they advertise bigger frets as a huge deal.

Anyway, since you've got an Epi already...is the upgrade in quality to real Gibson actually that big? My sample size is irrelevant of course, but from what I've played so far (which isn't a lot since I'm playing lefty), higher prized Gibson is kind of a crapshoot.

Gonna conclude my incredibly helpful post by admitting I'm kinda biased against both companies. You're welcome.

My epiphones a studio dot and to be honest it's pretty bad. Picked it up on a whim because it was really cheap in a sale and it's got a nice feel to it but it needs a lot of things replaced that I can't be bothered getting sorting out now and not sure if I wanted to sink cash into it when it's not a great guitar to begin with.

outbreak
07-16-2014, 08:26 PM
They both serve their purpose, but I lean towards Fender considering they match the music I play more. I have a Mexican Strat, Japanese Jazzmaster and an American Jazz Bass. I'm also in the market for a Fender Amp as well, as an upgrade to my cheap AC15.

I'm considering looking getting into Rickenbackers if I can somehow manage to buy one for a decent price. Anyone have experience with them?

I used to have a blues deluxe, really nice fender amp for the price and looked sooooo good in tweed. I sold it though because I wasn't doing much besides playing around the house and it's far too loud for that. I've actually been thinking of looking at an AC15 to replace it too, I've never used one but the AC30s are nice. They sound pretty different to the AC30 though don't they?

DukeDelonte13
07-16-2014, 08:27 PM
i've been playing bass for a long time and i just picked up my first fender ever, a mexi jazz bass. I absolutely love it. Quintessential bass sound.

IMO you buy them for the sound. You will always find more playable and versatile guitars outside of Gibson or Fender, but you won't go wrong with either. Dat tone.

outbreak
07-16-2014, 08:31 PM
Never liked any of the Gibsons or Epiphones I've played. Not bad guitars, just didn't like the feel of the necks at all.

I would say Fender out of the two, but agree with others to expand your search and check out what works for you. I liked Schecter guitars when I was playing.

One issue I've had with Gibsons is most of the ones I've tried have been really heavy and felt fragile compared to other guitars, was actually thinking of trying out a les paul jnr or a melody maker and seeing how they feel, would be a cheap way to go and their normally light. Always liked how p90s sound and I already have the tele for cleans.

DeuceWallaces
07-16-2014, 10:32 PM
My epiphones a studio dot and to be honest it's pretty bad. Picked it up on a whim because it was really cheap in a sale and it's got a nice feel to it but it needs a lot of things replaced that I can't be bothered getting sorting out now and not sure if I wanted to sink cash into it when it's not a great guitar to begin with.

If you put in the money for upgrades you will have something better than a stock ES for half the cost. What year is yours? The Korean made from early 2000s are highly regarded. I have a 2000 without about 800 put into it and it's a damn dream.

Personally I'm a gibson/marshall sound kind of guy but over the years you should probably pick up one of each.

Anyway, most people don't realize that even your brand new 2K american made strat or LP still needs to be brought in after purchase and have the action set properly, pots checked, ect.

HylianNightmare
07-17-2014, 12:19 AM
Used to love Gibson when i first started. Sg's were such bang for your buck guitars.

Crystallas
07-17-2014, 12:46 AM
Why choose? Get the best of both worlds and buy a PRS solidbody. :D

But seriously, I rarely find a production guitar that I don't like. Strat, Les Paul... who cares. Both are great.

boozehound
07-17-2014, 01:16 AM
depends what you want. Personally I like the gibson SG and the fender telecaster (esp with the front humbucker). Overall, I am biased towards gibson. Gibsons are generally better made (particularly the pre 80s ones)

dr.hee
07-17-2014, 05:39 AM
Get the best of both worlds and buy a PRS solidbody.

Nice guitars, but incredibly overprized.

@OP

What about LP alternatives? Tokai has made some pretty cool stuff for example which should still be easy to find. Just from a financial point of view, this looks more interesting to me than going for a full price Gibson.

russwest0
07-17-2014, 05:42 AM
i have had nothing but good things with my fender. I bought 500 dollar mexican stratocaster, and put in 300 dollar billy corgan custom pickups in it

just listen to me man this is best advice I will ever give

"80% of your sound quality comes from the amp"

but shit like a bad pedal setup can ruin this as well. be careful and good luck brother.

dr.hee
07-17-2014, 05:52 AM
i have had nothing but good things with my fender. I bought 500 dollar mexican stratocaster, and put in 300 dollar billy corgan custom pickups in it

just listen to me man this is best advice I will ever give

"80% of your sound quality comes from the amp"

but shit like a bad pedal setup can ruin this as well. be careful and good luck brother.

What's your setup?

russwest0
07-17-2014, 05:59 AM
What's your setup?

my setup is changing at the moment.

I am likely going to get a cheap tube amp and mod into a marshall jcm800 clone or something.

that is how you know you are talking to a decent electric guitarist, they understand the good amps as opposed to cliche's about the guitars.

(sorry I am high)

this is one of the best amps of all time and one that many legendary guitarists and musicans use

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-jcm800-2203-vintage-series-100w-tube-head

this will have a greater increase on your sound more than any guitar ever will. If you want to save money google "marshall jcm 800 clone." For example Peavey offers one modeled exactly after it called the "Peavey Windsor" for like 400 dollars.

Also, NEVER buy a multi effects pedal. Just hand pick your own pedals and run them all into a pedal powering source like the DC Brick or something. Just trust me lol.

Look up gear rigs for guitarists you like and see what pedals they use and consider using some of the same ones.

Some legendary pedals I use are the

Big Muff (epic fuzz pedal)
Boss DS-1 (distortion)
Boss PH-3 (Phase shifter, cool echo sounds for solos and other shit)
MXR Phase-90 (for solos and shit too)

and some others as well

russwest0
07-17-2014, 06:04 AM
there are also some people online who mod popular, legendary pedals and make them really epic. they also make their own custom pedals that have unique and epic sounds.

that is always an option but they are usually pretty expensive like 100-200 per pedal.

Also, ALWAYS BUY THE ORIGINAL PEDAL and not a reboot. Same goes for all guitar shit. They always remake the classic gear that is legendary, but it just isn't as good. buy the old, original shit instead.

russwest0
07-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Also you NEED a compressor pedal (MXR-Dyna Comp is the standard here) and if you are getting any sort of static noise in the background from your setup buy a noise cancellation pedal... don't nobody want to have to filter through your static just to hear your music

k I will stop blowing up thread now

dunksby
07-17-2014, 06:42 AM
Fender and Gibson have nice familiar tones but they can only give you the Fender/Gibson sound. PRS guitars will give you a much wider range of tone. They are expensive guitars though, I personally got lucky and found a 40% off deal online a few years ago and I took the opportunity.

dunksby
07-17-2014, 06:48 AM

I am likely going to get a cheap tube amp and mod into a marshall jcm800 clone or something.

that is how you know you are talking to a decent electric guitarist, they understand the good amps as opposed to cliche's about the guitars.

(sorry I am high)

this is one of the best amps of all time and one that many legendary guitarists and musicans use

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/marshall-jcm800-2203-vintage-series-100w-tube-head

this will have a greater increase on your sound more than any guitar ever will. If you want to save money google "marshall jcm 800 clone." For example Peavey offers one modeled exactly after it called the "Peavey Windsor" for like 400 dollars.

Also, NEVER buy a multi effects pedal. Just hand pick your own pedals and run them all into a pedal powering source like the DC Brick or something. Just trust me lol.

Look up gear rigs for guitarists you like and see what pedals they use and consider using some of the same ones.

Boss DS-1 (distortion)

and some others as well
You don't need a 100W amp to get a decent sound out of your guitar, at least this is consistent with your character. You remind me of those guys I knew who couldn't wait to show off their loud ass amps by making your ears bleed.

dunksby
07-17-2014, 06:52 AM
Also you NEED a compressor pedal (MXR-Dyna Comp is the standard here) and if you are getting any sort of static noise in the background from your setup buy a noise cancellation pedal... don't nobody want to have to filter through your static just to hear your music

Or it means too many cables and not proper grounding, also a good guitar player appreciates a reasonable amount of organic hum. Getting prickly about a perfect clean sound just makes your tone sound artificial.

dr.hee
07-17-2014, 09:17 AM

(sorry I am high)

Boss DS-1 (distortion)

and some others as well

Well, you're quite full of yourself. I suppose you're not even close to semi pro level playing ( compared to skill found in different playing settings, not in terms of commercial success), yet you're talking nonsense about NEVER buying multi effect units and recommending an 100w head without taking into consideration musical taste and stage setting. Then you're listing Boss pedals as some kind of legendary gold standard while saying a central power source is important, but on the other hand you're completely ignoring the really meaningful stuff regarding tone like true bypass and cable length.

So to me, it looks like you're the musical equivalent of all those armchair quarterbacks thinking they can say meaningful shit about football because they possess two healthy arms. Not your best try :oldlol:

And more bullshit :oldlol:

Why do I NEED a compressor? Have you ever even played guitar?

there are also some people online who mod popular, legendary pedals and make them really epic. they also make their own custom pedals that have unique and epic sounds.

that is always an option but they are usually pretty expensive like 100-200 per pedal.

Also, ALWAYS BUY THE ORIGINAL PEDAL and not a reboot. Same goes for all guitar shit. They always remake the classic gear that is legendary, but it just isn't as good. buy the old, original shit instead.

And even more bullshit...so instead of a modern custom strat style guitar with individually chosen specs regarding hardware, frets, neck and overall built, I should ALWAYS go with the original Fender version? Which means mass produced 60s guitars made out of cheap wood built by amateurs with no quality control whatsoever? Just lucking out by finding the good 1 out of 10 duds? Big news for you: Hendrix was awesome because he was Hendrix, not because he played the crap Fender was producing at the time. Do you think he enjoyed massive hum problems and his guitar never staying in tune? Or should I buy an original non master volume 100w head if I can get the same thing with master and FX-loop?

I should choose a 70s single coil with huge variances in winding numbers as opposed to modern small custom shops using the same materials while staying consistent regarding the building process?
The same with pedals. If the original version has no true bypass, and I can get a reboot with improvements, I shouldn't take it? Why?

You're repeating the same nostalgia bullshit Fender and Gibson have been using for decades to justify their mediocre and non innovative business policy by convincing gullible casual players like yourself that there's some kind of special magic around old ass gear :oldlol:

outbreak
07-17-2014, 04:26 PM
I prefer less pedals and impedance, right now I'm mainly using my tele straight into a fender champ 500 and using my tele to get the tone I want. No point having a big tube amp unless you're gigging big shows and even then they should have a p.a. You can't really get a real good sound out of a 100watt or even something like my 40watt blues deluxe I sold until you crank it abit which is too loud for residential use for me. I've also always been told, never done it though, that kit pedal copies are actually better than the originals now because you can make it like they used to rather than the cheap mass market versions big companies put out now.

I've never been a big fan of the look of prs guitars sound nice but always thought they were a bit ugly. Can't say I've heard of any quality issues with them like fender and Gibson have at times though

Overdrive
07-17-2014, 04:53 PM

(sorry I am high)

Marshall JCM800 is about the most cliche thing you can get, maybe the AC30 tops it. LP & JCM800 is the standard touch guy combo.

Overdrive
07-17-2014, 05:03 PM

WTF. Most of the noise is wrongful use of cables and cheap and/or wrong instruments. No need for pedals if you can avoid it by just doing the right thing.

You don't need a 20ft cable if you never leave your amp for more than 6ft. Guitar cables, especially stereo cables, are aside from wires also capacitators. The longer the cable the more capacity, which produces the humming sound.

You don't need 30ft cables to get to your Marshall full stack unless you're Angus Young, but even then there are better solutions than noise filtering pedals.

OT: When our band was still together our guitarist switched the bridge single coil of his american strat to a SD humbucker - making it a selfmade superstrat. Sound was somewhere in between an SG and Strat. So if you're undecided you can always make some weird hybrid.

DeuceWallaces
07-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Lol at a compressor while playing anything even closely sounding like rock. The foundation of modern rock guitar is clipping your signal and creating distortion; compressors are designed specifically to prevent that from happening. Their used in mastering, home audio, and live PA systems to prevent speaker damage and/or reduce the dynamic range of a musical or vocal number.

Overdrive
07-17-2014, 05:13 PM
I should choose a 70s single coil with huge variances in winding numbers as opposed to modern small custom shops using the same materials while staying consistent regarding the building process?
The same with pedals. If the original version has no true bypass, and I can get a reboot with improvements, I shouldn't take it? Why?

You're repeating the same nostalgia bullshit Fender and Gibson have been using for decades to justify their mediocre and non innovative business policy by convincing gullible casual players like yourself that there's some kind of special magic around old ass gear :oldlol:

What I don't get is this road worn hype. I want to by my instrument and road wear it myself. Every scratch has to be earned. I don't understand why someone would go into a shop and buy an artificially damaged guitar.

Most musicians are Fenders/Gibson sheep I guess.

dr.hee
07-17-2014, 05:43 PM
Lol at a compressor while playing anything even closely sounding like rock. The foundation of modern rock guitar is clipping your signal and creating distortion; compressors are designed specifically to prevent that from happening. Their used in mastering, home audio, and live PA systems to prevent speaker damage and/or reduce the dynamic range of a musical or vocal number.

Don't hate on compression. Look at John Frusciante. Dude would sound even worse if he couldn't hide his lack of tonal control and vibrato behind a wall of distortion and compressing the signal into oblivion.

outbreak
07-17-2014, 05:54 PM
What I don't get is this road worn hype. I want to by my instrument and road wear it myself. Every scratch has to be earned. I don't understand why someone would go into a shop and buy an artificially damaged guitar.

I agree on the road worn thing, it really is beyond me why people would pay extra to have a guitar that's been worn like that. Especially things like the Joe Strummer tele they did, I've heard it's a nice player and I'm as big of a strummer fan as you can get but the wear on that guitar are like decals and look like total shit. Why would you want to pay for that? Then there's the people who sandblast and rust their guitars trying to make them look worn. I suppose maybe it's because modern poly doesn't wear like nitro?

I don't think most musicians are sheep really, most people who actually play pick what feels and sounds good to them but a large part of buying guitars when you're not a professional musician is vanity. I'm not too proud to admit looks and brand play a part in my purchases, not saying I'd only buy fender or gibson (i've had other brands in the past including a nice australian made les paul copy that I regret selling) but it still plays a part. I do think it's silly when I hear someone starting out say they only want to try out one particular brand because their friends told them it's the best. Another reason why I think Gibson and Fender get so much sales is because (at least where I live) a lot of the smaller brands are set up like ass in the store whereas the fenders and gibsons seem to have had more effort put into the set ups and let's face it a lot of people will end up buying a guitar and just playing it how it was off the shelf with out adjusting anything. Out of my guitars I play my tele the most but I'd have to say my Gretsch is by far my favourite but it doesn't get played as much as a full hollowbody doesn't really work for the music I used to play in bands.

dr.hee
07-18-2014, 05:26 AM

Yeah, it's ridiculous. People at the Fender Custom Shop have a hard time setting up those road worn vintage reissue bullshit because they're artificially aging hardware to a degree where they can't even turn screws anymore :lol

dunksby
07-18-2014, 06:50 AM
Yeah, it's ridiculous. People at the Fender Custom Shop have a hard time setting up those road worn vintage reissue bullshit because they're artificially aging hardware to a degree where they can't even turn screws anymore :lol
Have you tried graphtech gear? I replaced my PRS' nut which was the axe's weakest link with a Graph Tech Tusq (http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-categories/nuts) and it's great, it was as if the stock nut was keeping the axe back. I recommend trying out their picks (http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-categories/picks) as well even if you don't like them you would see they give a big and peculiar tone.

dr.hee
07-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Have you tried graphtech gear? I replaced my PRS' nut which was the axe's weakest link with a Graph Tech Tusq (http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-categories/nuts) and it's great, it was as if the stock nut was keeping the axe back. I recommend trying out their picks (http://www.graphtech.com/products/product-categories/picks) as well even if you don't like them you would see they give a big and peculiar tone.

I don't have much choice being a lefty, but I'll probably go for Tusq for my next guitar, which will be custom built :banana:

The most important thing for tuning stability is to put graphite on the nut regularly imo. Helps a lot with the vintage style trem blocks. Don't like to use a Floyd Rose at all, so I'm just ignoring the regular bit of detuning.

russwest0
07-18-2014, 06:59 AM
my bad about that shit last night guys, I was high off my ass :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

dr.hee
07-18-2014, 07:06 AM
my bad about that shit last night guys, I was high off my ass :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

You're simply clueless about guitar, being high or not. It's just not possible to consume an amount of weed or any other recreational drug sufficient to make a knowledgeable person talk that much bullshit about gear. You would've died in the process.

:oldlol:

russwest0
07-18-2014, 07:07 AM
You're simply clueless about guitar, being high or not.

:oldlol:

lol what?

dr.hee
07-18-2014, 07:12 AM
lol what?

Well no amount of weed or whatever will make a person that clueless about gear. I mean seriously...so much clichee advice from you, it's hilarious :oldlol:

russwest0
07-18-2014, 07:13 AM
Well no amount of weed or whatever will make a person that clueless about gear. I mean seriously...so much clichee advice from you, it's hilarious :oldlol:

I was just typing about pedals and shit and kept running lol

I didn't care man, I was high

russwest0
07-18-2014, 07:23 AM
I recorded this when I was like 16, what do you think

http://chirb.it/g30qDr

the best part is towards the end, a solo lol

dr.hee
07-18-2014, 08:28 AM
I recorded this when I was like 16, what do you think

http://chirb.it/g30qDr

the best part is towards the end, a solo lol

Have you improved since then? Would be better to hear something more recent.

DukeDelonte13
07-18-2014, 09:30 AM

Some hard rock / metal bass players use compressors to get a more consistent sound if they are playing really fast and intricate licks.

I've never met a guitar player who uses on compressor on a consistent basis though.

dr.hee
07-18-2014, 09:47 AM
Some hard rock / metal bass players use compressors to get a more consistent sound if they are playing really fast and intricate licks.

I've never met a guitar player who uses on compressor on a consistent basis though.

I'm not playing bass so I can't say anything about it...but regarding guitar it's pretty much a matter of skill. A good guitarist will use a compressor for specific effects, but won't need it to compensate bad soloing technique. And for rhythm playing, it takes away lots of dynamics. Can be done on purpose, but I don't like it at all. The more dynamics, the better. If I want a high gain somewhat compressed tone, I'll go with a good distortion/boost/overdrive setup instead of destroying any kind of individuality by using massive compression.

dunksby
07-18-2014, 01:11 PM
I don't have much choice being a lefty, but I'll probably go for Tusq for my next guitar, which will be custom built :banana:

The most important thing for tuning stability is to put graphite on the nut regularly imo. Helps a lot with the vintage style trem blocks. Don't like to use a Floyd Rose at all, so I'm just ignoring the regular bit of detuning.
I'm a leftie too but the right-oppression has forced me to learn how to use my right hand. I still have a few problems with my picking but at least I can't complain about my fingering.
About the graphite thing, what makes GT nuts so good is that they don't need to be coated as graphite is part of the composite material they use.

dr.hee
07-18-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm a leftie too but the right-oppression has forced me to learn how to use my right hand. I still have a few problems with my picking but at least I can't complain about my fingering.
About the graphite thing, what makes GT nuts so good is that they don't need to be coated as graphite is part of the composite material they use.

Yeah you're right about the graphite part, but I know players who still put a bit on their GT nuts. I mean it can't hurt. Guess I'll test it once the guitar is finished.

Did you start out lefty style or played regular from the beginning?

dunksby
07-18-2014, 02:18 PM
Yeah you're right about the graphite part, but I know players who still put a bit on their GT nuts. I mean it can't hurt. Guess I'll test it once the guitar is finished.

Did you start out lefty style or played regular from the beginning?
When I started I didn't even know they made guitars for lefties so I always played on right handers.

NumberSix
07-18-2014, 03:02 PM
Marshall JCM800 is about the most cliche thing you can get, maybe the AC30 tops it. LP & JCM800 is the standard touch guy combo.
I would agree.

The best amp I ever heard though was an orange head that a buddy bought at a pawn shop.

dr.hee
07-19-2014, 03:09 AM
I would agree.

The best amp I ever heard though was an orange head that a buddy bought at a pawn shop.

Orange has some cool stuff, if I had the money right now I might go for one of their smaller combos.