PDA

View Full Version : All things considered, this team is not so bad...

ImKobe
07-18-2014, 06:41 AM
I mean, we came into the off-season expecting Lakers to get Melo or at least some solid all-star, but looking at what moves we've made, this roster doesn't look half bad in the big picture

we currently have

Lin
Kobe
Young
Randle
Hill
Boozer
Ed Davis
Kendall Marshall
Steve Nash
Ryan Kelly
Robert Sacre

And we're probably signing Jordan Clarkson and re-signing Xavier Henry, that leaves 2 more players to fill our roster, since we're short on SFs we'll probably go after Marion and we could use another big man since we're short on some size on the front court.

Now, is this team, on paper, a championship contender? Hells no. But can it contend for a Playoff spot if Kobe's at his 2011-12 season form? I'm pretty positive about that. Randle has a lot of potential, Lin can play better than he did in that toxic Houston environment and Ed Davis & Boozer were huge steals for what they're paid this season. Kelly showed some promise on the offensive end under MDA,

Marshall is a very talented passer but needs to work on his D and his shooting form (though he was making it rain from 3 all season). Young is a versatile scorer, but is a medicore rebounder and a playmaker, but showed improvement on the defensive end as the season went on. Xavier Henry had a very good start to the season but was unlucky with his injury. Hill we all know is the ultimate hustle player and he gets rebounds whenever he wants to.

I like the overall complexion of this roster, though it doesn't feature any all-stars or superstars outside of Kobe and possibly Randle, it has some depth that we've lacked for some seasons now and it's not too old outside of Kobe, Boozer and Nash.

With the right head coach, it wouldn't be a stretch to say we could be at least as good as the 2013-14 Dallas Mavericks, who also didn't have many superstars but had a solid roster with different players contributing every night when Dirk and Monta weren't on their A-game.

Of course I don't like the fact that our success rides on Kobe's health, but if his achilles is fine he should be where he was in 2012 health-wise. He also struggled with knee problems that season and had some nagging injuries to his shoulder and his legs, but he could at least play through the pain and look his like Kobe on most nights, which is what I'm banking on right now.

All in all, this off-season wasn't too bad and as a Laker fan, I'm excited for the season :confusedshrug:

sportjames23
07-18-2014, 06:46 AM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110619075229/uncyclopedia/images/c/c8/Benny_hinn_2.gif

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
07-18-2014, 06:57 AM
The 10th or 11th seed is as bad as it gets bro

Dragic4Life
07-18-2014, 06:57 AM
Won't make playoffs for sure.

ImKobe
07-18-2014, 06:59 AM
Bunch of debbie downers

East_Stone_Ya
07-18-2014, 07:02 AM
http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110619075229/uncyclopedia/images/c/c8/Benny_hinn_2.gif

I don't know why but....:oldlol:

JonatanRey
07-18-2014, 07:19 AM
They have signed really cheap, but Lakers have been the biggest loosers so far this summer. An interesting debate would be if Lakers could make the playoffs in the east. And I would doubt it. Even with a healthy Kobe.

ImKobe
07-18-2014, 07:36 AM
They have signed really cheap, but Lakers have been the biggest loosers so far this summer. An interesting debate would be if Lakers could make the playoffs in the east. And I would doubt it. Even with a healthy Kobe.
:oldlol:

Dragic4Life
07-18-2014, 07:37 AM
No such thing as a healthy Kobe from here on out.

GimmeThat
07-18-2014, 07:40 AM
I feel like I'm looking at the lottery board of next year's draft.

UK2K
07-18-2014, 08:07 AM
When the Lakers blow and draft Karl Towns Jr next year, they'll be stupid good in 2-3 seasons.

Karl Towns and Randle? Perfect compliment to each other

Genaro
07-18-2014, 08:11 AM
Actually Rockets are.

D-Rose
07-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Unlikely that they win more than 30-35. Leaves them in mediocrity and no 1st round pick.

Nick Young
07-18-2014, 08:20 AM
With Kobe, Lakers are always a title contender.

Lin is the perfect PG next to Mamba. We will prove the haters wrong:rockon:

ImKobe
07-18-2014, 08:24 AM
When the Lakers blow and draft Karl Towns Jr next year, they'll be stupid good in 2-3 seasons.

Karl Towns and Randle? Perfect compliment to each other

Lakers won't keep their pick unless they finish with the top 5 worst record in the league, they couldn't even get a top 5 pick with Kobe out, Pau constantly injured and MDA as head coach with Kendall Marshall & Robert Sacre starting :lol

We do have the Rockets pick, but it will be 20+ so whatever

Dallas made the POs with Dirk as their best player and Samuel Dalembert as their starting C. They had a much worse front court and Kobe-Lin >> Monta-Dirk, of course RC is a better coach than what we'll get, but this team has enough depth to compete for a 5-8 seed with Kobe healthy, no doubt.

The off-season was a let down in terms of Lakers retooling and becoming a contender again, but don't sleep on this roster. One could argue it's better than the 2011-12 Lakers if Kobe's healthy. The front court of Randle, Hill, Davis & Boozer is a lot deeper than just Gasol-Bynum and has the potential to be more produtive, depending on Randle's development, of course.

Sad that this should have been our real big 3 if Stern didn't **** it up for us

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-qc3huKqsfuc/Tt5Zrb-dU7I/AAAAAAAAACs/5VDthqTBLa4/s1600/tumblr_lvrt9aDTAx1qbpmf7o1_500.jpeg

TheGreatDeraj
07-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Lin and Nick Young are going to have to step their game up on the perimeter, so Kobe won't have to do so much. No idea who's going to play defense on the great wing players out there.

None of the bigs are all that good, so it's going to have to be a group effort.

-Hill can play at a good, but not great level for about 20 minutes a night and will probably get injured at least twice during the year
-Boozer is a terrible defender and struggles against length on offense
-Davis has some talent but is young and needs refinement
-Randle is a rookie that is going to have to earn his minutes
-Kelly is another poor defender, mostly a stretch four
-Sacre was showing a little more skill last year, but looks to be a career journeyman at best

Just like on the perimeter, I have no idea who's going to play defense on the good interior players out there.

It's going to have to be a great defensive scheme with everyone committed for Lakers to make the playoffs. Considering the Lakers don't even have a coach yet I think making the playoffs is a stretch with how good the West.

Here's 8 teams that barring injury will probably be better talent wise than the Lakers:
Spurs
Mavericks
Rockets
Grizzlies
Clippers
Warriors
Thunder
Portland

Then a few of other solid teams:
Pelicans, Suns, Nuggets

It's possible, but it's going to take a special season to do so.

CelticBaller
07-18-2014, 09:08 AM
Lottery bound

kshutts1
07-18-2014, 10:03 AM
I want to see them trade Nash. He's a good player on a good team, but he doesn't offer much to a mediocre team like the Lakers.

That being said, I'd love to see the Lakers get Evan Turner now. He's a great SF for their current roster. Lin, Kobe, Randle (or Boozer) are scorers. Turner would be a great pass-first player to join that shoot-heavy offense.
Then bring Young off the bench as a "green light, instant-offense" player (the role he will play whether he's asked to or not, lol), and the guard rotation is actually solid. Assuming Kobe is at least a 20/4/4 that is, on decent efficiency.

K Xerxes
07-18-2014, 10:14 AM
Someone put Lin and Boozer on the 'Now this is going to be fun' picture. :lol

roma_victor
07-18-2014, 01:33 PM
Someone put Lin and Boozer on the 'Now this is going to be fun' picture. :lol

Not my work, but:

http://wac.9ebf.edgecastcdn.net/809EBF/ec-origin.chicago.barstoolsports.com/files/2014/07/Capture39-480x582.jpg

iamgine
07-18-2014, 01:38 PM
Would be entertaining at least.

DMAVS41
07-18-2014, 01:39 PM
It's not...I could see them getting a top 4 seed in the East.

Likely miss the playoffs in the West though.

45 wins would be the ceiling unless Randle just dominates.

Levity
07-18-2014, 01:41 PM
lakers "potential" line up next year

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/ X
Wes/ Young
Randle or Boozer
Hill/ Davis

maybe they go after marion too. If healthy, the team can compete for the last playoff spot out west. Cohesive line up of scorers with defenders. but again, everything comes down to health for this team.

played0ut
07-18-2014, 01:42 PM

lol k its imperative that i know where the source of this is

*Edit*

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xFMWvRCL2iM

Fire Colangelo
07-18-2014, 01:52 PM
Well... What are the chances Kobe returns to 2012 form?

NugzFan
07-18-2014, 02:13 PM
In May , If you told 1000 laker fans that your roster would look like this in July at least 999 would be upset and/or claim they would sign 2+ stars instead.

atljonesbro
07-18-2014, 02:14 PM
45ish win team. Not gonna make noise not gonna get a good draft pick.

D-Rose
07-18-2014, 04:02 PM

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/ X
Wes/ Young
Randle or Boozer
Hill/ Davis

maybe they go after marion too. If healthy, the team can compete for the last playoff spot out west. Cohesive line up of scorers with defenders. but again, everything comes down to health for this team.
I'm not sure what defenders you're referring to? I don't see a single good defender on that lineup. Closest thing is Hill, who's a good rebounder.

AnaheimLakers24
07-18-2014, 04:11 PM
holy hell we need an athletic wing bad

AnaheimLakers24
07-18-2014, 04:18 PM

Lin/Clarkson/Nash
Kobe/ X
Wes/ Young
Randle or Boozer
Hill/ Davis

lottery bound bro

bagelred
07-18-2014, 05:25 PM
You've got Steve Nash and Jeremy Lin on the same team.

Somewhere...in the distance....Mike D'Antoni has tears in his eyes.....