PDA

View Full Version : A few Bob Cousy clips

CavaliersFTW
07-19-2014, 04:38 PM
http://youtu.be/PxH1-C2tTWk

This is only a few clips of him I quickly took from a few sources, a fraction of what I've got and not even a collection of the best clips I've got. His ability to hit guys with blind passes in rhythm on fast breaks looks top tier all-time. Of course there are those who troll about him based on the slow motion gif of him dribbling but I've also heard good posters like Kblaze suggest Cousy is no more talented than say, D2 college players or w/e. From what little I've seen, I'd disagree, I think his skillset and his stats are obviously reflective of his own era's rules and game (palming restricting lateral dribbling moves, etc) but I think his talent IE his natural gifts of vision, his timing, his hands, his mind, etc are clearly elite. He seems to orchestrate fast breaks about as good as any point guard I've watched with a critical eye. I don't see NCAA players, summer league players, or even most NBA players historically or present with his natural aptitude to control a fast break.

CavaliersFTW
07-19-2014, 04:45 PM
I'm going to be uploading a sub-10 minute mix of him in the next week or so that will be publicly available, these few minutes for now are unlisted.

moe94
07-19-2014, 04:46 PM
dat pass @ 0:17 :biggums:

CavaliersFTW
07-19-2014, 05:14 PM
Satch Sanders and Tom Heinson btw look like perfect forwards for Cousy to dish too in transition, both had great hands and finishing ability around the rim. Not to mention the occasional set up to Bill Russell of course. With shooters on the wing like Sam Jones and Bill Sharman I can see why the early dynasty Celtics where such a nightmare to match up against with Russell firing out passes to Cousy and Cousy having so many options to hit on the run.

moe94
07-19-2014, 05:19 PM
0:56 is also nice

Cousy wasn't alone with the nice passes, either. It's a nice mix.

Suguru101
07-19-2014, 05:26 PM
Thank you for the find, this is an awesome contribution.

So Cousy was kind of a Rondo- type player?

CavaliersFTW
07-19-2014, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the find, this is an awesome contribution.

So Cousy was kind of a Rondo- type player?
I don't know how much Rondo pushes the break. But he's got a similar flair like Rondo. Of players I've looked at closely Cousy reminds me most of early 80's Magic Johnson, in that he looks gifted and natural at controlling the fast-break, finding the right man to hit in transition. There will be more clips of Cousy real soon, including a bit more of his scoring and ball handling but his outstanding talent is definitely passing on the break.

aj1987
07-19-2014, 05:50 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/25q817l.jpg

jongib369
07-19-2014, 05:55 PM
I don't know how much Rondo pushes the break. But he's got a similar flair like Rondo. Of players I've looked at closely Cousy reminds me most of early 80's Magic Johnson, in that he looks gifted and natural at controlling the fast-break, finding the right man to hit in transition. There will be more clips of Cousy real soon, including a bit more of his scoring and ball handling but his outstanding talent is definitely passing on the break.
Who would you rather have as your starting point guard, Cousy or Rubio?

Thanks for the clips though, like always you find some great footage I've never seen before...Look forward to the rest. Showing the man had some skill might disturb some of the cattle on ISH (http://youtu.be/3n6Ra-K7us8?t=17s).

SuperPippen
07-19-2014, 05:56 PM
Yo CavsFTW, I greatly enjoy your videos and I respect your attempts to illuminate the abilities of old school players. I have no doubt that most of the old legends who get disrespected on sites like these would have no trouble being all-stars - at bare minimum - in today's game.

Cousy, however, is one of those guys whose basketball merits I am not so sure of when viewed in a modern context. I give the man his due as an innovative legend, but I wouldn't be too confident that his abilities would translate well into the modern era.

My favorite old school player is Jerry West, and I thoroughly appreciated the video you made of him. Do you know how much more footage of West might be available, specifically from his 1970 season (which I view as his prime)? I would love the chance to watch more of him in action.

aj1987
07-19-2014, 06:15 PM
Who would you rather have as your starting point guard, Cousy or Rubio?

Thanks for the clips though, like always you find some great footage I've never seen before...Look forward to the rest. Showing the man had some skill might disturb some of the cattle on ISH (http://youtu.be/3n6Ra-K7us8?t=17s).
http://i.imgur.com/UeZan.jpg

Inactive
07-19-2014, 07:22 PM
Thanks for the highlights. He seems to be as creative a passer as anyone, from any era.

fpliii
07-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Very cool. Thanks for sharing. :applause:

Yo CavsFTW, I greatly enjoy your videos and I respect your attempts to illuminate the abilities of old school players. I have no doubt that most of the old legends who get disrespected on sites like these would have no trouble being all-stars - at bare minimum - in today's game.

Cousy, however, is one of those guys whose basketball merits I am not so sure of when viewed in a modern context. I give the man his due as an innovative legend, but I wouldn't be too confident that his abilities would translate well into the modern era.

My favorite old school player is Jerry West, and I thoroughly appreciated the video you made of him. Do you know how much more footage of West might be available, specifically from his 1970 season (which I view as his prime)? I would love the chance to watch more of him in action.
Agree 100%. I'm not sure how I feel about Cousy. Some nice passes in these clips though. Very interesting player who I'd like to see more of, so I'm looking forward to the upcoming mini-mix.

CavaliersFTW
07-19-2014, 10:03 PM
There will be more clips soon

fpliii
07-19-2014, 10:07 PM
There will be more clips soon
Just wondering, how much is there out there on Guy Rodgers? Wilt actually said in his autobiography:

[QUOTE]I always thought Guy Rodgers, for example, was the best ball-handler I ever saw

JohnFreeman
07-19-2014, 10:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/UeZan.jpg
:lol

SHAQisGOAT
07-20-2014, 01:26 AM
Nice :applause: Groundbreaking and very creative/skilled, flashy as hell, great to watch.

Cousy to me is like Nash before Nash but without the J (not saying he couldn't shoot or something though) yet more creativity/variety with his scoring from up-close, and ofc "under" 60's rules and with that style.

CavaliersFTW
07-20-2014, 02:31 AM
Just wondering, how much is there out there on Guy Rodgers? Wilt actually said in his autobiography:
Not a lot but Oscar Robertson agrees with Wilt, according to him Guy had the best handle from his time period and this I believe is over guys like Archie Clark, Walt Hazzard, Walt Frazier, Wali Jones and Tiny Archibald that visibly had fantastic looking handles regardless of the different palming rules. I actually also remember Austin Carr, announcer of the Cavaliers and former player say when he saw Kyrie bust out an incredible sequence of dribbling that he hadn't seen that kind of ball handling since Guy Rodgers... so I'd imagine Guy Rodgers had moments of displaying an incredible handle, and from what little I've seen of him all i can tell was that he was smooth and totally ambidextrous with his handle and very secure with it. I don't know if it was Guy Rodgers or not but I remember reading one of Wilt's first point guards on the Warriors would often throw the ball off the glass as a Lob and have Wilt fetch it to please the crowds. I wonder if that was Guy.

Rameek
07-20-2014, 02:33 AM
I thought of Jason White Chocolate personally...

Most players dont translate directly from one era to another. Its utterly stupid and ridiculous to try to take a 50's, 60's, 70's player and directly transpose them to the future.

Hypothetically would that player with modern training and teachings what that player possibly could have been? Hard to tell.

Technically most new era players travel and palm the ball so watching old era players get made fun for dribbling.

MiseryCityTexas
07-20-2014, 03:32 AM
Bob Cousy would have at least been a lot better than Jeremy Lin and Jose Calderon in today's league.

MiseryCityTexas
07-20-2014, 03:34 AM
I thought of Jason White Chocolate personally...

Most players dont translate directly from one era to another. Its utterly stupid and ridiculous to try to take a 50's, 60's, 70's player and directly transpose them to the future.

Hypothetically would that player with modern training and teachings what that player possibly could have been? Hard to tell.

Technically most new era players travel and palm the ball so watching old era players get made fun for dribbling.

Yet people still translate players from one era to another because it's fun to do, and make for interesting basketball conversations.

BoutPractice
07-20-2014, 03:35 AM
Ridiculous passer, some of the passes do remind me of White Chocolate .

It's fairly clear to me Bob Cousy would be able to master "modern" dribbling techniques under more lenient rules for carrying. This is not some old man at the park. His ball control and awareness is evidently elite... you can't pass this creatively, with this degree of precision, in movement at such speed, without serious ball handling skills.

He has the ball on a leash, even when he's just using one hand. Do you really think that if he practiced crossovers, he wouldn't be able to fool everyone? Do you really think if you told him "go ahead, Cousy, do me a crossover", he would just lose the ball and fall over himself? It's not like a crossover is that hard to do... Some of the passes he's doing, that's what truly difficult, even today.

And I'm not even sure he translates to the modern era that well... I'm just stating what I see.

senelcoolidge
07-20-2014, 01:15 PM
Great great player. But he's not allowed to be great since he played in the 60's. He also played in an era where palming the ball and traveling were against the rules unlike today so he can't be great.

Ratnik
07-20-2014, 01:53 PM
Your obsession with old players is just sad.

WillC
07-20-2014, 02:01 PM
One of the greatest and most important players in basketball history. Incredible footage, thanks for putting it together.

Your obsession with old players is just sad.

So, someone who respects the history of this great game is sad? Really?

Learn some respect, kid.

Rameek
07-20-2014, 02:20 PM
Yet people still translate players from one era to another because it's fun to do, and make for interesting basketball conversations.
Really it isnt interesting conversations IMHO when some children here try to transpose one athlete from the dark ages into present with no qualifiers. Its utter disrespect and lack of common sense.

Everything becomes biased.