PDA

View Full Version : Defense the reason Warriors won't include Klay Thompson in trade for Kevin Love

JohnMax
07-20-2014, 04:15 AM
From Sam Amick of USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/07/19/kevin-love-stephen-curry-usa-teammates/12876193/):

Their recent refusal to include guard and Timberwolves target Klay Thompson in the deal is rooted in this reality, as losing Thompson would not only leave Curry overexposed defensively in the backcourt but is compounded by the fact that Love

bdreason
07-20-2014, 04:36 AM
Love is a great offensive player... but he isn't a good defender, and he has no playoff experience. On top of that, you have to pay him like a max player.

I'm really not sure why they Cavs (or Warriors) would be willing to give up so much for Love. For example, the idea that the Cavs would just give up on a player like Wiggins so soon is baffling to me. Wiggins was a better HS prospect than Love, a better College prospect fthan Love, and for all we know, will probably be a better NBA player than Love... and Wiggins is on a ROOKIE contract.

The only reason I'd even consider moving Lee and Thompson for Love is because Lee already makes $15m per year, and Thompson is going to get $12-15m per year starting next season. If Thompson still had another year on his rookie contract? I wouldn't even think about trading him.

qrich
07-20-2014, 05:05 AM
With how cheaply Afflalo went, Golden State should have dealt Klay for Love and also snagged Afflalo. And I'm not a Love fan.

Curry - Afflalo - Iggy - Love - Bogut.

:eek:

MJ(Mean John)
07-20-2014, 05:13 AM
Love is overrated.(the Person)

So is Klay if he's seeking the Max.

Seriously, how is EVERY player trying to get the Max.

Klay
Parsons
Bledsoe (not yet)
Hayward(not yet)
Hibbert(lmaooooooooo)
Wall(not yet)
Kyrie(Not yet)
Paul George(not yet)
Harden(only plays offense. Not effective enough on a daily basis)
Dwight FEKKIT.
Curry(not yet)
Love (NO DEFENSE, no go to move, etc)
Rubio

Etc.

These Are not Max players.

Only certain guys should be getting the max. Too bad it's a supply and demand type of thing.

Guys who should get the Max should he franchise/elite players.

Bron
Melo
Prime KB
Prime wade
Prime Duncan
Durant
Cp3
WestBrook (meh. Borderline)
Prime Shaq
MJ
Prime Dirk

MFer's who could SINGLE handedly win you ball games/change your team and as far as value, are worth MORE than the max.

Guys who are just good NOW, because the league is watered down are getting the max. Supply and demand. Shoot, somebody has to get paid, somebody has cap space and boom.

I mean, by all means I'm not saying that Love and Dwight are not good players, because they are. But seriously, you're not getting your dollar value when paying these guys the max.

Dwight is so limited offensively, I mean for paying him $20Mil max, you aren't getting the VALUE that you would be if you were paying Noah his $11 Mil, and day Loul Deng his $6 mil, and then another guy his $3 mil.

I'm talking Value here. Dwight is too limited to be getting the max

Look at Love. He's putting up inflated numbers on a weak team. But seriously, you're paying say $20 mil to a guy who doesn't play defense, doesn't have a go to move, as a post player doesn't really have a post game, I mean. You're not getting true value. Again, you could go out and instead Rajon Rondo, And Noah.

I'm just saying your not getting the most Bang for your buck.

Paying James Harden so that he can not show up in the play offs or play ANY DEFENSE, AT ALL. Payin him $20 mil.
Vs.

Starting I. Thomas (7mil) + Afflalo(7mil) + Channing Frye(5Mil).
You would have a better team.
More Value. Then, Save the Max for LeBron. For Melo. For Prime Kobe or Prime Dirk. Prime KB.

The max contract is losing it's value. It's unfortunate. That's how a lot of numbs get overpaid.

GimmeThat
07-20-2014, 07:11 AM
[QUOTE=JohnMax]From Sam Amick of USA Today (http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2014/07/19/kevin-love-stephen-curry-usa-teammates/12876193/):

Their recent refusal to include guard and Timberwolves target Klay Thompson in the deal is rooted in this reality, as losing Thompson would not only leave Curry overexposed defensively in the backcourt but is compounded by the fact that Love

GOBB
07-20-2014, 08:30 AM
How many great two way players are there in the NBA?

Love is a great offensive player... but he isn't a good defender, and he has no playoff experience. On top of that, you have to pay him like a max player.

I'm really not sure why they Cavs (or Warriors) would be willing to give up so much for Love. For example, the idea that the Cavs would just give up on a player like Wiggins so soon is baffling to me. Wiggins was a better HS prospect than Love, a better College prospect fthan Love, and for all we know, will probably be a better NBA player than Love... and Wiggins is on a ROOKIE contract.

The only reason I'd even consider moving Lee and Thompson for Love is because Lee already makes $15m per year, and Thompson is going to get $12-15m per year starting next season. If Thompson still had another year on his rookie contract? I wouldn't even think about trading him.

You could replace Wiggins with Beasley no? Thing is we know what Love has developed into and he is in the prime of his career. His defense being highlighted is the only thing discussed. Nothing else about his game is mentioned. Love is better than Chris Bosh. Bosh was apart of 4 NBA finals, 2 of which were wins. Bosh leaves a lot to be desired about his defense.

Dragic4Life
07-20-2014, 08:30 AM
Can't.

PotOdds
07-20-2014, 09:27 AM
Given that Lee is what, 80-85% equivalent to Love, adding Klay is too much to give up.

bagelred
07-20-2014, 10:15 AM
He's not a two-way player? Oh my god, so what? Now everyone has to be bisexual?

The Politically Correct crowd is going a little overboard on this one....