PDA

View Full Version : NBA.com: Off season Power Rankings

Legends66NBA7
07-21-2014, 01:01 PM
http://www.nba.com/2014/news/powerrankings/07/21/summer2014/index.html

LeBron's move brings parity to the East

The first three weeks of free agency have been crazy. LeBron James went home, Lance Stephenson left Indiana, Paul Pierce joined his third team in as many seasons, the Bulls reloaded, the Mavs got their anchor back, and the Rockets struck out on the big names.

The Lakers gave Jordan Hill $9 million a year and Ed Davis only $1 million. Ben Gordon will be paid more than Vince Carter this season.

There are still some moves that can make an impact. Obviously, a Kevin Love trade could send the Warriors or Cavaliers to the top of their conference. Restricted free agents Eric Bledsoe and Greg Monroe are still out there, waiting to sign an offer sheet or re-sign with the Suns and Pistons, respectively. And vets like Shawn Marion and Jameer Nelson could be great fits on the right team.

But with things having settled down, with Summer League about to wrap up, and with this author's attention turning toward USA Basketball and the FIBA Basketball World Cup, it's time to issue some mid-summer Power Rankings.

Here's how the 30 teams stack up. Everything starts with the champs, who are bringing everybody back and who have no question marks. From there, it's all Western Conference in the top five until we see what the Bulls are getting from Derrick Rose and whether the Cavs are getting anything from Minnesota.

NBA Rankings

30. Philadelphia
29. Utah
28. Milwaukee
27. Orlando
26. Boston
25. LA Lakers
24. Sacramento
23. Detroit
22. Denver
21. New York

20. New Orleans
19. Atlanta
18. Minnesota
17. Brooklyn
16. Charlotte
15. Phoenix
14. Miami
13. Indiana
12. Washington
11. Memphis

10. Toronto
9. Houston
8. Portland
7. Cleveland
6. Chicago
5. Golden State
4. Dallas
3. LA Clippers
2. Oklahoma City
1. San Antonio

Thoughts ?

BlackWhiteGreen
07-21-2014, 01:07 PM
Dallas at 4 is a reach
Washington > Toronto

Marchesk
07-21-2014, 01:08 PM
What makes Portland worse than 3rd? What makes the Clippers (or any of the other teams 3-7) better?

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 01:11 PM
I really hope I'm wrong, but the Mavs at 4 seem like a joke to me.

Really really really hope so, but I don't like our off-season the more I think about it.

We actually have not gotten any better to date. This whole time I've been assuming we add Mo or Jameer. If that were to be the case...we would have gotten better, and I like our team, but not enough to put us 4th.

Maybe I am too far down on Parsons, but I just don't see him as the player that can swing this thing so much when he's taking up 16 million in cap a year.

Give us Jameer as the starting guard with Harris off the bench and Felton playing 15 or so minutes as the backup sg and heat check guy? Okay...I like our team a lot more.

But as of now. Harris/Felton/Ellis with no backup sg is not going to get us the 4th best team in the league.

imnew09
07-21-2014, 01:13 PM
LOL when have these "pro" analysts been right? Toronto at top 10, Dallas #4,
:lol :lol

Lakers should be top 10.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-21-2014, 01:15 PM
Raptors are too high...We're not better than Memphis, Washington, Phoenix and probably not better than Miami, Indiana, Charlotte, New Orleans...

Im Still Ballin
07-21-2014, 01:23 PM
Raptors IMO should be ahead of Houston. Swapped Salmons for Lou Willams. James Johnson. Resigned bench players. niiiiiiiiiiice.

StephHamann
07-21-2014, 01:34 PM
Lakers should be top 10.

http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/wtf/grand/kobe_bryan_wtf.gif

NuggetsFan
07-21-2014, 01:43 PM
Denver way too low. Missed Gallo, McGee for the entire season. Andre Miller was held out, Lawson hurt, Nate Robinson done for the season so Randy Foye was our main PG. Denver is a team that relies on depth and was destroyed by injuries yet still manged to win 36 games. In the 62 games Lawson played they were .500 or atleast in that ball park.

Add are 2nd/3rd best players + McGee and a 2nd season for Shaw and this team is pretty close to the one that won 57 games. Switch Iggy for AA and Koufus for Mozzy. Denver finished 11th in the West last year with a destroyed roster, they'll improve on that. I think they'll hit between 47-53 wins if they stay somewhat healthy.

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Denver way too low. Missed Gallo, McGee for the entire season. Andre Miller was held out, Lawson hurt, Nate Robinson done for the season so Randy Foye was our main PG. Denver is a team that relies on depth and was destroyed by injuries yet still manged to win 36 games. In the 62 games Lawson played they were .500 or atleast in that ball park.

Add are 2nd/3rd best players + McGee and a 2nd season for Shaw and this team is pretty close to the one that won 57 games. Switch Iggy for AA and Koufus for Mozzy. Denver finished 11th in the West last year with a destroyed roster, they'll improve on that. I think they'll hit between 47-53 wins if they stay somewhat healthy.

Agreed.

Denver will absolutely be a top 16 team in the league. It's laughable to say the Nuggets wouldn't make the playoffs in the East. Which is essentially what they are doing by putting them at 22.

Legends66NBA7
07-21-2014, 02:28 PM
According to seeding (assuming everyone is healthy)

1. Chicago
2. Toronto
3. Miami
4. Cleveland
5. Atlanta
6. Washington
7. Indiana
8. Charlotte

9. Brooklyn
10. New York
11. Boston
12. Detroit
13. Milwaukee
14. Orlando
15. Philadelphia

I've seen a lot of overrating of Washington, Cleveland, and Charlotte. Also seen a lot of underrating of Atlanta, Miami, and Toronto.

1) San Antonio
2) OKC
3) LA Clippers
4) Dallas
5) Golden State
6) Houtson
7) Memphis
8) Portland

9) Phoenix
10) Denver
11) New Orleans
12) Minnesota
13) Sacramento
14) LA Lakers
15) Utah

NBA.com agrees with most of my predictions.

:pimp:

UK2K
07-21-2014, 02:28 PM
Dallas will be 6-8 in the west IF they get Marion back.

As it stands now, nobody on that team plays defense except Chandler who is like 55 years old.

dunksby
07-21-2014, 02:33 PM
How is CLE a 4th seed in the east? :wtf:

kurple
07-21-2014, 03:43 PM
Denver will be top 6 in the west

KG215
07-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I think people are putting a little too much stock in Dallas taking the Spurs 7-games in the 1st round and thinking, "Hey, they added Chandler, so they're definitely going to be better."

I think people tend to overlook the fact the Mavericks were essentially playing playoff intensity level basketball the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season just to get into the playoffs. I think they caught a Spurs team, who had been somewhat on cruise control for a week or two, napping and almost got 'em. That's not the sole reason the series went 7-games, because I do think the Mavericks presented specific matchup problems for the Spurs that only one other team in the NBA can really exploit, the Thunder, but the Mavericks have an elite coach whereas the Thunder are being coached by Scott Brooks.

I do think the West is so wide-open that, after the Spurs, Thunder, and Clippers, it wouldn't surprise me if any of the Blazers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Rockets, Mavericks, Suns, Nuggets, or Pelicans finished 4th. Well, maybe if any team I listed after the Mavericks (Suns, Nuggets, or Pelicans) finished 4th I'd be a bit surprised but I do think any of those 8 teams could take one of the five remaining playoff spots and it wouldn't surprise me. Hell, I'm still not going to completely sleep on the Timberwolves if they keep Love. They surely can't lose that many close games again next year can they?

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 04:14 PM
Yeah, I think people are putting a little too much stock in Dallas taking the Spurs 7-games in the 1st round and thinking, "Hey, they added Chandler, so they're definitely going to be better."

I think people tend to overlook the fact the Mavericks were essentially playing playoff intensity level basketball the last 2-3 weeks of the regular season just to get into the playoffs. I think they caught a Spurs team, who had been somewhat on cruise control for a week or two, napping and almost got 'em. That's not the sole reason the series went 7-games, because I do think the Mavericks presented specific matchup problems for the Spurs that only one other team in the NBA can really exploit, the Thunder, but the Mavericks have an elite coach whereas the Thunder are being coached by Scott Brooks.

I do think the West is so wide-open that, after the Spurs, Thunder, and Clippers, it wouldn't surprise me if any of the Blazers, Warriors, Grizzlies, Rockets, Mavericks, Suns, Nuggets, or Pelicans finished 4th. Well, maybe if any team I listed after the Mavericks (Suns, Nuggets, or Pelicans) finished 4th I'd be a bit surprised but I do think any of those 8 teams could take one of the five remaining playoff spots and it wouldn't surprise me. Hell, I'm still not going to completely sleep on the Timberwolves if they keep Love. They surely can't lose that many close games again next year can they?

Good take.

there is no doubt that the Mavs caught the Spurs sleeping in the first 2 games. unfortunately the Mavs only won 1 of those...

I'm really worried about this season for the Mavs...hopefully I'm wrong. And hopefully we get Jameer Nelson. As crazy as it sounds...that might be worth like 10 wins to this Mavs team as presently constructed.

StephHamann
07-21-2014, 04:19 PM
Good take.

there is no doubt that the Mavs caught the Spurs sleeping in the first 2 games. unfortunately the Mavs only won 1 of those...

I'm really worried about this season for the Mavs...hopefully I'm wrong. And hopefully we get Jameer Nelson. As crazy as it sounds...that might be worth like 10 wins to this Mavs team as presently constructed.

[I]Jared Zwerling: Jameer Nelson has about 15 teams interested. Healthy, wants to win/play. Also a key player mentor. Guards market may dictate $5-7 mil range. Wouldn't be surprised if SAS (Mills' injury), OKC (Fisher retired) & MIA (PG shooter & Bron needs ball-handling help) all inquire on Nelson

:(

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 04:22 PM
[I]Jared Zwerling: Jameer Nelson has about 15 teams interested. Healthy, wants to win/play. Also a key player mentor. Guards market may dictate $5-7 mil range. Wouldn't be surprised if SAS (Mills' injury), OKC (Fisher retired) & MIA (PG shooter & Bron needs ball-handling help) all inquire on Nelson

Yep. I saw that tweet earlier...

This is why I'm so uneasy. Mo would be a nice fit as well, but this spells trouble for us in my opinion.

We have horrid guard depth right now. Felton as the potential starter and no backup sg for Ellis?????

**** me...

BlackWhiteGreen
07-21-2014, 04:24 PM

:coleman:

salwan
07-21-2014, 04:37 PM
cant wait til I see j. okafor in a celtics uniform :lol :hammerhead:

bballnoob1192
07-21-2014, 04:44 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol :lol :lol :lol :facepalm

oarabbus
07-21-2014, 04:48 PM

:oldlol:

J Shuttlesworth
07-21-2014, 04:54 PM
It's crazy that the east/west is even more lobsided now. Last year, Miami and Indiana would have been in the top 4 teams in the league, now we don't have an east team till #5

Foster5k
07-21-2014, 05:01 PM
This list actually seems about right.

A bunch of West teams in the top and East at the bottom. Yep, right on the money. :D

NuggetsFan
07-21-2014, 05:16 PM
Agreed.

Denver will absolutely be a top 16 team in the league. It's laughable to say the Nuggets wouldn't make the playoffs in the East. Which is essentially what they are doing by putting them at 22.

It's mindblowing to me that they have Denver as the 8th worst team in the league. With all the injuries/no AA Denver finished 11th in the West and that was there worst season in a decade.

No star appeal I guess, but still this dude will be the same idiot that calls them a surprise team 1/3 into the season. Even tho the team is made up/has alot of similar pieces that won 57 games. Not saying they'll hit 57 wins but a really deep team with a balanced attack and what should be one of the better benches in the league is built for regular season play.

stallionaire
07-21-2014, 05:19 PM
Toronto at 10 ? LMFAO

DaSeba5
07-21-2014, 05:30 PM
I agree with where they have Miami.

russwest0
07-21-2014, 05:32 PM
Top 5 teams from the West. Yes sir :applause: :applause: :applause:

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-21-2014, 05:41 PM
The Mavs are a lot better than last year. Not sure how it will shake out in the standings. It will be proven in crunchtime with the Mavs. The Mavs last year as a 49 win team blew about 10 games in the last 6 minutes. They were horrid at crunchtime. (Most of that was because Dalembert couldn't play in crunchtime because he was such a bonehead. And Calderon was so horrid defensively that he was exploited repeatedly at the end of games.)

That will change with what they added.

Legends66NBA7
07-21-2014, 05:45 PM
I agree with where they have Miami.

I think they can still take their division.

moe94
07-21-2014, 05:45 PM
Toronto at 10 ? LMFAO

If you're implying that's too high... :coleman:

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 05:47 PM
The Mavs are a lot better than last year. Not sure how it will shake out in the standings. It will be proven in crunchtime with the Mavs. The Mavs last year as a 49 win team blew about 10 games in the last 6 minutes. They were horrid at crunchtime. (Most of that was because Dalembert couldn't play in crunchtime because he was such a bonehead. And Calderon was so horrid defensively that he was exploited repeatedly at the end of games.)

That will change with what they added.

I definitely agree that our crunch time lineup, if healthy, would be infinitely better no matter what happens with out mini mid level. That is a good point and one that really matters.

However, I really worry about the rest of games/seasons. We lost Carter, Calderon's shooting/play which was a strength outside of crunch time, we lost Blair, and Marion...

Lets say, for example, we don't add another guard.

We could be entering crunch time down 3 instead of up 3 more often...and even with an improved late game lineup...we still don't add any wins.

Dirk was an absolute beast last year in the regular season. I'm not sure how many more seasons of near 50/40/90 while playing 33 minutes a game and 80 games he has left. I'd imagine Dirk will likely play around 70 games and average only 30 minutes this year.

I know Parsons was added to pick up that slack, but I worry about our night to night play in the regular season when rest is so important and we need to blow teams out often in order to have the kind of season we want.

pastis
07-21-2014, 05:48 PM
funny how mavs are overrated now due to the prasons signing.

i see the mavs below golden state, New Orleans (hell of a team if healthy) and memphis. if loves stays in minnesota and with the nuggets being strong again, i see my mavs only fighting for the 6-10th place. once the playoffs reached....everything is possible....but mavs can miss the playoffs as well....everything is possible in the west.

KG215
07-21-2014, 05:49 PM
It's mindblowing to me that they have Denver as the 8th worst team in the league. With all the injuries/no AA Denver finished 11th in the West and that was there worst season in a decade.

No star appeal I guess, but still this dude will be the same idiot that calls them a surprise team 1/3 into the season. Even tho the team is made up/has alot of similar pieces that won 57 games. Not saying they'll hit 57 wins but a really deep team with a balanced attack and what should be one of the better benches in the league is built for regular season play.
Yeah, I still don't see them as much of a threat in the playoffs (maybe a first round win with the right matchup) but if healthy I can see them winning 50ish games this year.

Legends66NBA7
07-21-2014, 05:53 PM
If you're implying that's too high... :coleman:

Let them have their fun.

I have yet to see any reason(s) on who should be ahead of Toronto.

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 05:54 PM
funny how mavs are overrated now due to the prasons signing.

i see the mavs below golden state, New Orleans (hell of a team if healthy) and memphis. if loves stays in minnesota and with the nuggets being strong again, i see my mavs only fighting for the 6-10th place. once the playoffs reached....everything is possible....but mavs can miss the playoffs as well....everything is possible in the west.

Yea....making the playoffs is the tough part for this Mavs team.

Once in, if healthy, they would be super dangerous.

I disagree about the Pelicans. I think they have potential, but I don't see how one would reasonably put them ahead of the Mavs going into the season. They could definitely finish ahead though...wouldn't be the craziest thing, but there are too many unknowns with them.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-21-2014, 05:55 PM
You seriously don't remember how BAD Carter was in the first part of the year? When Brendan Wright was hurt last year at the beginning Carter shot 36% for November in 17 games(!)... also during that time the Mavs were playing Mekel and Larkin.

And Marion was dreadful last year. I know nearly all of the people on this site won't know that because most of them didn't watch him play on a nightly basis. But losing Marion this year is a huge PLUS for the Mavs.

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 05:58 PM
You seriously don't remember how BAD Carter was in the first part of the year? When Brendan Wright was hurt last year at the beginning Carter shot 36% for November in 17 games(!)... also during that time the Mavs were playing Mekel and Larkin.

And Marion was dreadful last year. I know nearly all of the people on this site won't know that because most of them didn't watch him play on a nightly basis. But losing Marion this year is a huge PLUS for the Mavs.

I do remember, if you read my post...you'd realize I am talking about Dirk likely not playing 33 minutes a game at 80 games...with essentially no injury problems....while shooting 50/40/90.

I'm not just assuming he does that. Which is what you have to do...to put the Mavs as the 4th best team in the regular season next year.

I also disagree about Marion. It was time for him to go, but he was not dreadful.

Also, Carter played his ass off defensively last year...something even die hard Mavs fans seem to ignore. Carter was like 4th in the league in terms of wins above replacement for sg's last year. He played great defense as well for and had a real impact there...his drpm (from ESPN) was 3rd in the league. He played 81 games irrc. Even when he was shooting poorly...he made a nice impact on our team in the 25 minutes a game he played. Losing him matters...and especially hurts now that we don't ****ing have a backup shooting guard.

LoneyROY7
07-21-2014, 05:59 PM
I definitely agree that our crunch time lineup, if healthy, would be infinitely better no matter what happens with out mini mid level. That is a good point and one that really matters.

However, I really worry about the rest of games/seasons. We lost Carter, Calderon's shooting/play which was a strength outside of crunch time, we lost Blair, and Marion...

Lets say, for example, we don't add another guard.

We could be entering crunch time down 3 instead of up 3 more often...and even with an improved late game lineup...we still don't add any wins.

Dirk was an absolute beast last year in the regular season. I'm not sure how many more seasons of near 50/40/90 while playing 33 minutes a game and 80 games he has left. I'd imagine Dirk will likely play around 70 games and average only 30 minutes this year.

I know Parsons was added to pick up that slack, but I worry about our night to night play in the regular season when rest is so important and we need to blow teams out often in order to have the kind of season we want.

I wouldn't be surprised if Parsons blossoms into a star on the Mavs and can be a true #2 option to Dirk.

Y'all just badly need some help at PG.

pastis
07-21-2014, 06:02 PM

thats right, carter had some awful phases like marion, but is crowder that good? i rly dont know, but im looking forward.

btw: i hope dirk drops his minutes to 27/28 and only playing around 65-70 games this RS....and then coming back strong for the playoffs hehe

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 06:03 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if Parsons blossoms into a star on the Mavs and can be a true #2 option to Dirk.

Y'all just badly need some help at PG.

That is the hope.

The hope is that Parsons blossoms into a star...and that we add Mo or Jameer...

If that happens...then we are a legit title contender imo.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-21-2014, 06:04 PM
I do remember, if you read my post...you'd realize I am talking about Dirk likely not playing 33 minutes a game at 80 games...with essentially no injury problems....while shooting 50/40/90.

Dirk is more likely to shoot 50/40/90 this year than he was last year. Spacing is going to be a lot better this year.

I'm not just assuming he does that. Which is what you have to do...to put the Mavs as the 4th best team in the regular season next year.

Dirk doesn't have to do that for them to be 4th.

Also, Carter played his ass off defensively last year...something even die hard Mavs fans seem to ignore.

Yeah he played good defense. He still was not a positive for most games. And take Brendan Wright from him he was almost useless. And we all know Wright couldn't be counted on to play when it matters. But Carlisle trotted him out there just so Carter would be okay.

I also disagree about Marion. It was time for him to go, but he was not dreadful.

He was dreadful. And Carlisle playing him as the backup 4 made it even worse.

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 06:08 PM
Dirk is more likely to shoot 50/40/90 this year than he was last year. Spacing is going to be a lot better this year.

Dirk doesn't have to do that for them to be 4th.

Yeah he played good defense. He still was not a positive for most games. And take Brendan Wright from him he was almost useless. And we all know Wright couldn't be counted on to play when it matters. But Carlisle trotted him out there just so Carter would be okay.

He was dreadful. And Carlisle playing him as the backup 4 made it even worse.

Could not disagree more with Carter. And, of course, what you are basing that on? I'd imagine nothing of note.

Carter had the 15th best rapm in the entire league last year.
With the ESPN stats;
Carter had the 2nd best real plus minus out of all shooting guards as well.

He was really good for us.

You are just wrong.

As for Marion...seems like just semantics. Dreadful is a strong word to me. He wasn't great, but he also wasn't some terrible player. We played him probably 10 minutes too much each game and asked him to do things that he can't really do anymore. I don't mind losing him...but to call him dreadful is too strong in my opinion.

Where we really disagree is Carter. I don't know how one could watch the Mavs last season and say Carter was not a positive player most of the time. That is absurd to me.

Dirk won't have to play that well or that many minutes if we add another guard and Parsons really excels...and we don't have injury concerns. I'm just not sure how much of that we can bank on. Like I have repeatedly said...I'll feel a whole lot better if Felton is our 3rd guard because it gives us a level of guard depth I'm excited about...now I'm terrified...

BuffaloBill
07-21-2014, 06:17 PM
theres only like 2 teams out west I can't see making the playoffs

DaSeba5
07-21-2014, 06:31 PM
I think they can still take their division.

They can, but they have a lot of questions to answer first. If they don't win it, it will be the first time a non-Florida team has won the SE division unless Orlando wins it.

StephHamann
07-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Without his great defence marion is close to beeing useless. Good decision to replace him.

Carter on the other hand can get crazy hot out of nothing, it safed us during times when dirk struggled to score last year.

Often you thought "stop taking this long threes man :facepalm " but the shots went in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kEYJZcRHoI#t=1m20s

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 07:03 PM
Without his great defence marion is close to beeing useless. Good decision to replace him.

Carter on the other hand can get crazy hot out of nothing, it safed us during times when dirk struggled to score last year.

Often you thought "stop taking this long threes man :facepalm " but the shots went in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kEYJZcRHoI#t=1m20s

Marion's defense/rebounding was still positive, but it did decline. It was his offense that hurt us...and it hurt us more than it should have because we played him too many minutes.

Time for him to go for sure. There is more money and better basketball fits for him out there.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Here ya go DMav..

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/07/20/chandler-parsons-development-growth/

Read the last third of that article starting at xs and os.

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 08:46 PM
Here ya go DMav..

http://www.mavsoutsider.com/2014/07/20/chandler-parsons-development-growth/

Read the last third of that article starting at xs and os.

could you summarize it.

on phone and that is a burden to read.

i must say...it's going to take a lot of convincing to get me to believe Carter most nights was not a positive player...but I'm open to anything.

Locked_Up_Tonight
07-21-2014, 08:49 PM
Read when you get on an ipad/computer then....

That article is about Parsons/Ellis/Dirk......

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 08:53 PM
Read when you get on an ipad/computer then....

That article is about Parsons/Ellis/Dirk......

Oh okay. Yea...I'll check it out later.

I have no doubt our offense is going to be great with Parsons. He literally solves all of our problems and makes them strengths at the forward position next to Ellis/Dirk. No more collapsing defenses not respecting Marion's 3 ball...

My issue is shot creation outside of that. I'd love to have a guard that could shoot/create better than Harris on the roster. I'll keep coming back to Jameer as I think he'd be perfect.

I'm also skeptical of Parson's ability to consistently make plays in the playoffs.

But again, it's not offense that worries me...it's the defense.

UK2K
07-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Oh okay. Yea...I'll check it out later.

I have no doubt our offense is going to be great with Parsons. He literally solves all of our problems and makes them strengths at the forward position next to Ellis/Dirk. No more collapsing defenses not respecting Marion's 3 ball...

My issue is shot creation outside of that. I'd love to have a guard that could shoot/create better than Harris on the roster. I'll keep coming back to Jameer as I think he'd be perfect.

I'm also skeptical of Parson's ability to consistently make plays in the playoffs.

But again, it's not offense that worries me...it's the defense.
Marion shot 36% from 3 last season.

Parsons shot 37% from 3 last season.

Parsons did take twice as many 3's so at least he can give the impression of spreading the floor, but he's not the knock down shooter you watched on sportscenter.

The one thing he does like to do is slash on a drive or back door cut though.

DMAVS41
07-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Marion shot 36% from 3 last season.

Parsons shot 37% from 3 last season.

Parsons did take twice as many 3's so at least he can give the impression of spreading the floor, but he's not the knock down shooter you watched on sportscenter.

The one thing he does like to do is slash on a drive or back door cut though.

He's a much better shooter than Marion. If Parsons got the kind of wide open looks that Marion got...he'd shoot 50%.

It's easy to conflate something like that.

Marion shot 36% from three on literally wide open shots only basically. If teams cover Parsons the same way they did Marion on our pick and roll action. Parsons will average 25 or more ppg and will make 5 to 6 threes a game.

FLDFSU
07-21-2014, 10:22 PM
How does the Heat fall to 14th when we bring back essentially the same team?

Sportal
07-21-2014, 11:02 PM
4th is about where I was ranking the Mavs in other topics.

I don't know what it is, I just think they will be A LOT better next season with their additions.

I could see Parsons averaging between 20-24ppg.

ralph_i_el
07-21-2014, 11:27 PM
He's a much better shooter than Marion. If Parsons got the kind of wide open looks that Marion got...he'd shoot 50%.

Marion shot 36% from three on literally wide open shots only basically. If teams cover Parsons the same way they did Marion on our pick and roll action. Parsons will average 25 or more ppg and will make 5 to 6 threes a game.
^this

Also parsons shot a larger percentage of his 3's from above the break, and a large percent of his 3's were unassisted

JohnFreeman
07-21-2014, 11:35 PM
Bucks should maybe be above Kings

KG215
07-22-2014, 12:08 AM
How does the Heat fall to 14th when we bring back essentially the same team?
I still think the Heat are a top 3 team in the East but "essentially the same team" except, you know, the best player on the planet and one of the 5-10 best players ever.

JohnFreeman
07-22-2014, 12:24 AM
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BtHbazdCIAE3yoA.png

UK2K
07-22-2014, 11:27 AM
^this

Also parsons shot a larger percentage of his 3's from above the break, and a large percent of his 3's were unassisted

:biggums:

When has Parsons ever taken an unassisted shot? Did you watch the Rockets last season? Almost every three point shot he took was off a drive and kick.

UK2K
07-22-2014, 11:30 AM

Parsons isn't the knock down shooter you saw on SportsCenter. He really isn't.

He had one 10-14 game that everyone saw, then was 4-19 the next four games after that. His open shots were a result of Harden or Lin driving and kicking where Parsons like to hang out in the corner.

He actually was 33% for the rest of the month (13 games) after his 10-14 game, and then finished the last month up shooting 33%. In the last 34 games of the season, he shot 32.5%.

DMAVS41
07-22-2014, 11:36 AM
:biggums:

When has Parsons ever taken an unassisted shot? Did you watch the Rockets last season? Almost every three point shot he took was off a drive and kick.

Again that is misleading...

But anyway, Parsons was assisted on 6% less of his 3 point attempts last year.

Marion shot half of his 3's from the corner last year...and he shot 35%
Parsons shot 21 percent of his 3's from the corner last year...and he shot 43%

Trust me dude...Parsons is a far better shooter than Marion. Even those stats don't do it justice. Marion got his looks wide ****ing open...like...take your time...line it up...shoot.

People fly out at Parsons and try to force him off the 3 point line. Parsons was taking much tougher shots and shot far less (percentage wise) of the easiest 3's in the corner.

I'll say it again. If Parsons got the kind of wide open looks that Marion got, especially in the corner, you are looking at 45 to 50 percent from Parsons.

Parsons is going to open up worlds of things on our offense...we played Marion 31 minutes last year. And it hurt us offensively.

If healthy, our offense is going to be unstoppable...especially if we add another guard.

I just really wish we could have somehow kept Carter. Then I wouldn't care about Harris/Felton/Mekel at pg.

Because our end of game lineup could have been;

Ellis/Carter/Parsons/Dirk/Chandler. And that is championship material right there.

UK2K
07-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Again that is misleading...

But anyway, Parsons was assisted on 6% less of his 3 point attempts last year.

Marion shot half of his 3's from the corner last year...and he shot 35%
Parsons shot 21 percent of his 3's from the corner last year...and he shot 43%

Trust me dude...Parsons is a far better shooter than Marion. Even those stats don't do it justice. Marion got his looks wide ****ing open...like...take your time...line it up...shoot.

People fly out at Parsons and try to force him off the 3 point line. Parsons was taking much tougher shots and shot far less (percentage wise) of the easiest 3's in the corner.

I'll say it again. If Parsons got the kind of wide open looks that Marion got, especially in the corner, you are looking at 45 to 50 percent from Parsons.

Parsons is going to open up worlds of things on our offense...we played Marion 31 minutes last year. And it hurt us offensively.

If healthy, our offense is going to be unstoppable...especially if we add another guard.

I just really wish we could have somehow kept Carter. Then I wouldn't care about Harris/Felton/Mekel at pg.

Because our end of game lineup could have been;

Ellis/Carter/Parsons/Dirk/Chandler. And that is championship material right there.

I know Parsons is a better shooter than Marion, I just think non-Rocket fans who didn't actually watch the games are falling for the SC hype.

Again, 32.5% over the last 2/5 of the season. Not saying it's because of one reason or another, just saying he's not Steph Curry.

And by the way, Parsons was assisted on 94.6% of his made 3pt attempts last season.

DMAVS41
07-22-2014, 11:39 AM
Parsons isn't the knock down shooter you saw on SportsCenter. He really isn't.

He had one 10-14 game that everyone saw, then was 4-19 the next four games after that. His open shots were a result of Harden or Lin driving and kicking where Parsons like to hang out in the corner.

He actually was 33% for the rest of the month (13 games) after his 10-14 game, and then finished the last month up shooting 33%.

Stop talking to me like my opinion about Parsons shooting comes from sportscenter.

You are so wrong here it's not even funny. Parsons shot 43% from the corner 3 last year. Marion shot 35%.

Parsons is going to get a lot of corner threes on our team...

You really have no clue. Teams wanted to force Marion into 3's....while teams tried to run Parsons off the 3 point line.

Comparing a guy that takes 2 wide open 3's a game...with half of them coming from the corner...to a guy that takes 5 threes a game with only 21% of them coming from the corner is stupid.

Parsons is a much better shooter than Marion. This doesn't mean Parsons is Klay Thompson or something, but he's going to do things to the defenses we face that Marion can't dream of.

DMAVS41
07-22-2014, 11:44 AM
I know Parsons is a better shooter than Marion, I just think non-Rocket fans who didn't actually watch the games are falling for the SC hype.

Again, 32.5% over the last 2/5 of the season. Not saying it's because of one reason or another, just saying he's not Steph Curry.

So what? That happens.

Here is a better indication;

Over his last 150 games...Parsons has averaged 5 threes a game and has made 38% of them.

Marion, conversely, has averaged 1.6 threes a game over his last 143 games and has made 35% of them.

And again, Marion is literally being given wide open corner threes because of his skillset. Parsons efficiency would skyrocket getting wide open corner threes as consistently as Marion. He'd shoot 45 to 50 percent from 3.

The difference is that teams won't allow that. So it opens up so much for Ellis and Dirk...and rim runs for Chandler.

Our issue is going to be the other guard position. Can Harris take advantage? Can Ellis take advantage?

Will the Mavs go with Ellis/Parsons/Jefferson/Dirk/Chandler...to really cause matchup problems?

As I posted earlier...this team would just be so damn unstoppable with Carter on it...it's scary.

As of now, that other guard is going to be a problem at times.

UK2K
07-22-2014, 11:44 AM
Stop talking to me like my opinion about Parsons shooting comes from sportscenter.

You are so wrong here it's not even funny. Parsons shot 43% from the corner 3 last year. Marion shot 35%.

Parsons is going to get a lot of corner threes on our team...

You really have no clue. Teams wanted to force Marion into 3's....while teams tried to run Parsons off the 3 point line.

Comparing a guy that takes 2 wide open 3's a game...with half of them coming from the corner...to a guy that takes 5 threes a game with only 21% of them coming from the corner is stupid.

Parsons is a much better shooter than Marion. This doesn't mean Parsons is Klay Thompson or something, but he's going to do things to the defenses we face that Marion can't dream of.
I said that, probably four times in this thread.

I agree. I'm well aware he's a better shooter than Marion. He'll open up the offense for sure. That's what shooters do. But hes not a knock down shooter by any stretch of the imagination. He had one game that people saw, and then shot poorly from the 3pt line the rest of the 34 games in the season before increasing his shooting up to 36% during the playoffs.

That's all I said.

DMAVS41
07-22-2014, 11:45 AM

And by the way, Parsons was assisted on 94.6% of his made 3pt attempts last season.

And Marion was assisted on 100% of this 3's...and half of them came from the easy corner.

Only 21% of Parsons came from the corner.

Dude...this is not close.

Why are we even debating this? Shooting 38% over the last 150 games while taking 5 threes a game is really good. Marion isn't even in the same ballpark...

DMAVS41
07-22-2014, 11:46 AM
I said that, probably four times in this thread.

I agree. I'm well aware he's a better shooter than Marion. He'll open up the offense for sure. That's what shooters do. But hes not a knock down shooter by any stretch of the imagination. He had one game that people saw, and then shot poorly from the 3pt line the rest of the 34 games in the season before increasing his shooting up to 36% during the playoffs.

That's all I said.

How do you define a knock down shooter? Does he have to be as good as Klay Thompson or something?

Is Dirk a knock down shooter?

UK2K
07-22-2014, 11:47 AM
And Marion was assisted on 100% of this 3's...and half of them came from the easy corner.

Only 21% of Parsons came from the corner.

Dude...this is not close.

Why are we even debating this? Shooting 38% over the last 150 games while taking 5 threes a game is really good. Marion isn't even in the same ballpark...
I agree. And have agreed this whole time.

UK2K
07-22-2014, 11:50 AM
How do you define a knock down shooter? Does he have to be as good as Klay Thompson or something?

Is Dirk a knock down shooter?

Parsons was 68th in 3pt % last season. I dont think that is a knock down shooter. Maybe you do, but I don't.

He was the 18th best 3pt shooting SF. Maybe that's a knock down shooter to you.

Like I said, good shooter, not great. That's all I have been saying this whole time.

Dro
07-22-2014, 11:52 AM
So they pretty much have Indiana at 4th in the East. I can agree with that, although I think they'll be 3rd.....

DMAVS41
07-22-2014, 11:53 AM
Parsons was 68th in 3pt % last season. I dont think that is a knock down shooter. Maybe you do, but I don't.

He was the 18th best 3pt shooting SF. Maybe that's a knock down shooter to you.

Like I said, good shooter, not great. That's all I have been saying this whole time.

Who said he was great?

You are literally just arguing semantics.

Parsons is a really good 3 point shooter....especially from the corner when open and that will immensely help the Mavs as our spacing at SF was one of our biggest weaknesses.

You can't leave Dirk or Parsons open at the 3 point line...they will kill your from there.

Other than that...I've said nothing about Parsons being a great or elite shooter.

But I will say...anyone taking 5 or so threes a game and hitting around 38% at SF is pretty damn good.

And meh...you could same the same shit about Dirk. He took 4 threes a game and shot 39.8%...wasn't even in the top 25 in the league in terms of 3 point shooting.

T_L_P
07-22-2014, 11:58 AM
Mavs being third is surprise. It's not like they landed a mega-star capable of winning them an extra 10+ games, and Dirk is only getting older.

Is Chandler and Parsons really worth such praise.

I think they'll get the 6th or 7th seed next year. :confusedshrug:

DMAVS41
07-22-2014, 12:13 PM
Mavs being third is surprise. It's not like they landed a mega-star capable of winning them an extra 10+ games, and Dirk is only getting older.

Is Chandler and Parsons really worth such praise.

I think they'll get the 6th or 7th seed next year. :confusedshrug:

Yea...my thoughts as well.

If Dirk plays at the same level last year and plays 80 games...and the rest of the Mavs are healthy.

Then yea... a top 4 seed is possible, but I'm with you. Dirk is getting older. I doubt he plays 33 minutes and 80 games at 22 points a night at 50/40/90.

We also lost Carter...who, despite even what Mavs fans say, was a beast for us and played 81 games.

We still have the mini mid level left, but if our current team is the one we put out there next year...I'd say 7th to 10th in the West is likely.

nightprowler10
07-22-2014, 12:27 PM
So basically:

West:

1. Spurs
2. OKC
3. LAC
4. Dallas
5. GSW
6. Portland
7. Houston
8. Memphis

East:

1. Chicago
2. Cleveland
3. Toronto
4. Washington
5. Indiana
6. Miami
7. Charlotte
8. Brooklyn

I probably replace Memphis with the Nuggz. Houston is probably the 8th seed.

I also think Indy and Miami are being underrated. Miami especially have made great moves and I can see them being no lower than 5th seed.

Legends66NBA7
07-22-2014, 12:33 PM
So they pretty much have Indiana at 4th in the East. I can agree with that, although I think they'll be 3rd.....

They have them 5th.

6. Chicago
7. Cleveland
10. Toronto
12. Washington
13. Indiana

They probably went with playoff seeding.

Legends66NBA7
07-22-2014, 12:36 PM
So basically:

West:

1. Spurs
2. OKC
3. LAC
4. Dallas
5. GSW
6. Portland
7. Houston
8. Memphis

East:

1. Chicago
2. Cleveland
3. Toronto
4. Washington
5. Indiana
6. Miami
7. Charlotte
8. Brooklyn

I probably replace Memphis with the Nuggz. Houston is probably the 8th seed.

I also think Indy and Miami are being underrated. Miami especially have made great moves and I can see them being no lower than 5th seed.

They got it spot on right with their West predictions. I got the same 8 teams, with the exception I had Memphis, Portland, and Houston all changing spots (Houston 6, Memphis 7, Portland 8).

NBA.com got Brooklyn over Atlanta wrong. Brooklyn will likely miss the playoffs this year.

I agree with Miami, not sure with Indiana right now. Got do more than Rodney Stuckey and CJ Miles. They need a better point guard. I was wondering if they could go after Eric Bledsoe in a trade perhaps, it would vault them back into the top teams in the East.

Roundball_Rock
07-22-2014, 01:29 PM
20. New Orleans
19. Atlanta
18. Minnesota
17. Brooklyn
16. Charlotte
15. Phoenix
14. Miami
13. Indiana
12. Washington
11. Memphis

10. Toronto
9. Houston
8. Portland
7. Cleveland
6. Chicago
5. Golden State
4. Dallas
3. LA Clippers
2. Oklahoma City
1. San Antonio

So Miami went from the Finals to 14th and 6th in its conference--just in front of the Bobcats? He probably is right.

Chicago is too low and Cleveland is too high. Chicago should be 4th. Cleveland should be around 10th.

Dro
07-22-2014, 05:57 PM
They have them 5th.

6. Chicago
7. Cleveland
10. Toronto
12. Washington
13. Indiana

They probably went with playoff seeding.
Yeah, my mistake, you guys are right..Well I don't think they'll be 5th honestly...They lost Lance true, but honestly, George Hill put up nearly identical numbers the year before that Lance put up last year. So hopefully we can replace Lance's production and then get whatever boost we may get from an improved team chemistry(hopefully).

BuffaloBill
07-22-2014, 06:46 PM
I think Lance was a really good addition for Charlotte. I would actually go as far as to say that I could see them getting the 5-6 seed.

Number24
07-30-2014, 08:45 AM
3rd it is... (worst case scenario)

because the way I see it, they are like saying, Lance leaving Indiana is just as bad as Lebron abandoning Miami. Seriously?:biggums:

SHABBA
07-30-2014, 08:50 AM
Outside of the West's top two, looks like the East will be much stronger next year. Houston, LAC, Portland and GSW have all taken steps back or stood still while East teams have improved outside of Miami.

NugzFan
07-30-2014, 08:57 AM
Outside of the West's top two, looks like the East will be much stronger next year. Houston, LAC, Portland and GSW have all taken steps back or stood still while East teams have improved outside of Miami.

you mean stronger than the east last year and not stronger than the west next season, right?

T_L_P
07-30-2014, 09:09 AM
I think the Heat will surprise a lot of people.

I expect Wade and Bosh to do better without LeBron, and Deng has always been super underrated in my opinion.

They're gonna make the Conference Finals if they (ie Wade) stay healthy. The East really doesn't have 'the team' right now though. Bulls I have no idea about. Pacers crumbled last year and got worse. Heat don't have the best player in the world. Cavs are inexperienced. Raptors, Wizards, Hawks are good but not contenders.

Spurs, Thunder and Clippers are clearly the best teams in the West.

MUGEN
07-30-2014, 12:10 PM

Portland didn't do any flashy moves but they definitely improved. They got rid of Mo and added Blake and Kamen.