PDA

View Full Version : Where do you find the time?!?!

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 08:19 PM
Between lifting, doing cardio, prepping my meals, eating my meals, ensuring that I get 8 hours of sleep, practicing, and playing, I'm hard pressed to know how some of these members on ISH have the time to do all that. My schedule Mon-Friday looks like this:

6:00am - Wake up
6:15am - Meal #1
6:45am - at the Gym for morning shooting drills and cardio
8:00am - get home, take a shower, meal #2
9:00am - Start work
10:00am - Meal #3
noon - Afternoon bball open gym
1:15pm - back at work, eat meal #4 at desk
4:15pm - Meal #5
6:15pm - Weight training starts
7:45pm - get home, shower, eat meal #6, prep meals for tomorrow
10:00pm - bed

So tell me, how the hell do I get 10,000+ posts and still be a baller in real life?
I mean, who the hell is going to respect an opinion from someone about basketball if they aren't actually practicing what they preach?

B-hoop
07-21-2014, 08:21 PM
Pretty sure you don't have to play basketball everyday to understand the game..

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 08:25 PM
Pretty sure you don't have to play basketball everyday to understand the game..

When I see 10,000 + posts I just ask myself "wow....how much better of a basketball player could that person be if they spent that time actually playing instead of talking about others that play"

:lol

CHi1PriDe
07-21-2014, 08:27 PM
I try to hoop at least 3 days a week and lift on the other days. Working 5 days a week and hooping everyday takes big toll on your body :no:

B-hoop
07-21-2014, 08:29 PM
When I see 10,000 + posts I just ask myself "wow....how much better of a basketball player could that person be if they spent that time actually playing instead of talking about others that play"

Well depends how long you have been posting, but there are really some guys who probably have nothing better to do than discussing MJ's dick size and if Lebron > Kobe.

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 08:32 PM
I try to hoop at least 3 days a week and lift on the other days. Working 5 days a week and hooping everyday takes big toll on your body :no:

Yep, gotta do proper stretching and supplements and not over do it if something doesn't feel right. No reason for me not to be in a gym 6/7 days. There's guys that can't walk that would die for a chance to do so. I'm not going to throw away the opportunity by posting on ISH all damn day.

SouBeachTalents
07-21-2014, 08:33 PM
Yep, gotta do proper stretching and supplements and not over do it if something doesn't feel right. No reason for me not to be in a gym 6/7 days. There's guys that can't walk that would die for a chance to do so. I'm not going to throw away the opportunity by posting on ISH all damn day.

I'm very happy for you

Soundwave
07-21-2014, 08:40 PM
So you're in high school or you're working?

If you're working and out of high school why are you up at 6:45 shooting hoops? :lol

Unless you're on a college team (and it doesn't sound like you're in school) playing in the evenings after work is good enough dude.

If you're lifting for mass, make some of your meals protein shakes + some kind of carb source.

Arnold Schwarzenneger said even in his younger days he couldn't always find time to eat 6 times a day, but he'd eat 3x a day and then sub in a few protein shakes. Easy.

Also an 1 1/2 hours lifting weights 5x+ a week is excessive, especially if you're playing basketball daily on top of that (that should cover your cardio and then some).

Shorten your workouts, but lift heavier for 50-60 minutes, that's all the body needs, more than that and you're likely just dicking around wasting time in the gym.

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 08:44 PM
So you're in high school or you're working?

If you're working and out of high school why are you up at 6:45 shooting hoops? :lol

Unless you're on a college team (and it doesn't sound like you're in school) playing in the evenings after work is good enough dude.

I work full time and am out of school. Playing in the evenings isn't good enough. I'm working on other things in the am that I typically don't do at lunch or after work.

You know how it is when you play like 4-5 times a week and then let's say the next week you only play 1 day? You immediately know the difference in your level of conditioning. At least I do. And yes, 2 of my meals are protein shakes.

Soundwave
07-21-2014, 08:48 PM
I work full time and am out of school. Playing in the evenings isn't good enough. I'm working on other things in the am that I typically don't do at lunch or after work.

You know how it is when you play like 4-5 times a week and then let's say the next week you only play 1 day? You immediately know the difference in your level of conditioning. At least I do. And yes, 2 of my meals are protein shakes.

Are you planning to play for a college team or something though? Playing daily for 60-90 minutes is more than enough to keep your conditioning up if you're just a guy who wants to play pick-up ball.

I'd still recommend shorter lifting sessions. Unless you are training to be a pro/amateur bodybuilder, being in the gym for over an hour (especially since you probably don't need the cardio) is unneccessary.

Hey Yo
07-21-2014, 08:51 PM

Your schedule shows you live at home and pay no bills.

Must be nice.

LBJ 23
07-21-2014, 08:56 PM
If it doesn't bother you training with full stomach you can cut those 6 meals to 2-3 bigger meals. It won't make any difference. Except, of course if it bothers you training full or if you're struggling to eat a lot of food in just 2-3 meals.

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Your schedule shows you live at home and pay no bills.

Must be nice.

Is that the excuse you use for not being motivated? I own my own home, work 40 hours a week, and still find the time to do what I'm doing. Not my fault I'm able to accomplish more with less time compared to those who do live at home with no other responsibility. I've been doing what I've been doing for the last 2 years and feel great. It's called time management. Maybe that's why my post count is so low?

Are you planning to play for a college team or something though? Playing daily for 60-90 minutes is more than enough to keep your conditioning up if you're just a guy who wants to play pick-up ball.

I'd still recommend shorter lifting sessions. Unless you are training to be a pro/amateur bodybuilder, being in the gym for over an hour (especially since you probably don't need the cardio) is unneccessary.

I don't lift the full hour. I just thankful that I can play and haven't been injured recently so why not put 100% into it while I can? What am I missing? A TV show on FX or HBO?

Hey Yo
07-21-2014, 09:11 PM
Is that the excuse you use for not being motivated? I own my own home, work 40 hours a week, and still find the time to do what I'm doing. Not my fault I'm able to accomplish more with less time compared to those who do live at home with no other responsibility. I've been doing what I've been doing for the last 2 years and feel great. It's called time management. Maybe that's why my post count is so low?
allegedly

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 09:14 PM
not trying to knock you but that lifestyle seems boring as **** if all you do 7 days a week if work 9-5 and workout.

Soundwave
07-21-2014, 09:19 PM

I don't lift the full hour. I just thankful that I can play and haven't been injured recently so why not put 100% into it while I can? What am I missing? A TV show on FX or HBO?

More time in the gym doesn't actually mean better results though, that's generally a misnomer by beginners. If your work out is that long, chances are you are taking too much time in between sets. Shorten the time and/or lift heavier.

The body doesn't care how long you spend in the gym, it's just responding to how much strain you put on the muscle.

I'm just saying if you're feeling tired, looking at your schedule, there's a lot of ways to minimize some of that I think. If you're not tired and you generally enjoy that, then that's thats fine.

It'd probably recommend giving your social life more time too ... basketball is great and all, but especially if you're not playing in any type of college program or high end league ... make sure you're building your social life too. You will thank me for telling you that as you get on later into your 20s/30s.

Kblaze8855
07-21-2014, 09:21 PM
Ive been able to post from work if I decided to for well over 10 years. I get to work at 5am and might not see 3 people before 7 or 8. I dont struggle to find time.

hawksdogsbraves
07-21-2014, 09:22 PM
not trying to knock you but that lifestyle seems boring as **** if all you do 7 days a week if work 9-5 and workout.

LOL seriously, dude sounds like a psychopath :oldlol:

Does he think anybody is impressed by his marine corps-basketball training lifestyle? I'm sure he's just trolling but if that's really his schedule then the guy has some pretty serious issues. Get a life buddy. :oldlol:

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 09:24 PM
More time in the gym doesn't actually mean better results though, that's generally a misnomer by beginners. If your work out is that long, chances are you are taking too much time in between sets. Shorten the time and/or lift heavier.

The body doesn't care how long you spend in the gym, it's just responding to how much strain you put on the muscle.

I'm just saying if you're feeling tired, looking at your schedule, there's a lot of ways to minimize some of that I think. If you're not tired and you generally enjoy that, then that's thats fine.

It'd probably recommend giving your social life more time too ... basketball is great and all, but especially if you're not playing in any type of college program or high end league ... make sure you're building your social life too. You will thank me for telling you that as you get on later into your 20s/30s.

it all depends on his fitness goals. no point getting "big" if all you're going for speed / athleticism for basketball. lose a lot of size just from playing ball itself from the massive mounts of cardio.

Soundwave
07-21-2014, 09:26 PM
it all depends on his fitness goals. no point getting "big" if all you're going for speed / athleticism for basketball. lose a lot of size just from playing ball itself from the massive mounts of cardio.

Even there though I think a full solid hour of lifting is more than enough. If they dude is complaining about not having time to do other things or being tired ... well I mean you don't really *have* to be in the gym for more than an hour to reach any type of fitness goal unless you actually are training like a bodybuilder.

Especially if you already get your cardio from daily basketball sessions.

NuggetsFan
07-21-2014, 09:28 PM
I like watching basketball better than playing. Basketball talent doesn't = understanding of the game. Jordan proves this, as does millions of other people who are blessed with insane athletically ability that doesn't match there production/where they ended up.

I played alot when I was younger. Still play occasionally. Guess I got older and at 23 it's not like I'm going to play overseas, college, NBA etc. Get more enjoyment out of watching the NBA than I would playing basketball at the park for 6 hours straight. I'd actually probably die with that routine :oldlol:

I personally don't see the point of living that kinda routine unless your going somewhere with your basketball. Maybe if you have weight issues/fitness freak/whatever other things that would include that kinda dedication. Just for the enjoyment of the game? I dunno, that kinda routine seems like it'd ruin it.

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 09:31 PM
LOL seriously, dude sounds like a psychopath :oldlol:

Does he think anybody is impressed by his marine corps-basketball training lifestyle? I'm sure he's just trolling but if that's really his schedule then the guy has some pretty serious issues. Get a life buddy. :oldlol:

Let me guess, you're the guy that thinks that if you are in the NBA, you should just do what you need to do since you are already getting paid millions, instead of putting it even MORE work to be better than the best on the biggest stage?

I mean shit, if an NBA player can have that kind of a work ethic when they already have everything in life, isn't it sad that those perfectly capable of putting in work would rather sit in their mom's basement and talk about how a dedicated work out program is psychopathic and whoever does something similar has issues. You need a life coach buddy! :lol

And for the record, marine corps training shits all over what I'm doing, and would be much more rigorous. My program is a cake walk compared to college athlete training and marine training, and also inferior to the physical training actors do before a major role in which they need to change the way they look. Those guys have someone on their ass 24/7.

Aim high son, you'll go farther.

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 09:32 PM
Even there though I think a full solid hour of lifting is more than enough. If they dude is complaining about not having time to do other things or being tired ... well I mean you don't really *have* to be in the gym for more than an hour to reach any type of fitness goal unless you actually are training like a bodybuilder.

Especially if you already get your cardio from daily basketball sessions.

training to be a better baller and a body builder..? the fcuk. lose all your gainz from am cardio and noon bball. you literally have to eat like 4000 calories a day to actually get gains.

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 09:39 PM
training to be a better baller and a body builder..? the fcuk. lose all your gainz from am cardio and noon bball. you literally have to eat like 4000 calories a day to actually get gains.

I know swimmers that eat 5000 calories a day just to maintain their weight.

I like watching basketball better than playing. Basketball talent doesn't = understanding of the game. Jordan proves this, as does millions of other people who are blessed with insane athletically ability that doesn't match there production/where they ended up.

I played alot when I was younger. Still play occasionally. Guess I got older and at 23 it's not like I'm going to play overseas, college, NBA etc. Get more enjoyment out of watching the NBA than I would playing basketball at the park for 6 hours straight. I'd actually probably die with that routine :oldlol:

I personally don't see the point of living that kinda routine unless your going somewhere with your basketball. Maybe if you have weight issues/fitness freak/whatever other things that would include that kinda dedication. Just for the enjoyment of the game? I dunno, that kinda routine seems like it'd ruin it.

23, holy shit you aren't even in your prime. :lol

I started light, and then I just kept adding to my routine. Shit didn't happen overnight lol. When I notice a performance decrease, then I'll stop.

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 09:40 PM
Let me guess, you're the guy that thinks that if you are in the NBA, you should just do what you need to do since you are already getting paid millions, instead of putting it even MORE work to be better than the best on the biggest stage?

I mean shit, if an NBA player can have that kind of a work ethic when they already have everything in life, isn't it sad that those perfectly capable of putting in work would rather sit in their mom's basement and talk about how a dedicated work out program is psychopathic and whoever does something similar has issues. You need a life coach buddy! :lol

And for the record, marine corps training shits all over what I'm doing, and would be much more rigorous. My program is a cake walk compared to college athlete training and marine training, and also inferior to the physical training actors do before a major role in which they need to change the way they look. Those guys have someone on their ass 24/7.

Aim high son, you'll go farther.

well it's a given fact that actual basketball players / marines have more advance programs seeing how they're paid to be in shape.

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 09:45 PM
well it's a given fact that actual basketball players / marines have more advance programs seeing how they're paid to be in shape.

Exactly, and I'm not getting paid for it so my program isn't as advanced. There's just something about making a ton of shots in pick up ball and all the respect that comes from younger guys for it that makes it worth it for me, and I'd rather do that and feel healthy than spend my time on basketball forums. Wtf is that doing for my health and well being? :lol

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 09:51 PM
Exactly, and I'm not getting paid for it so my program isn't as advanced. There's just something about making a ton of shots in pick up ball and all the respect that comes from younger guys for it that makes it worth it for me, and I'd rather do that and feel healthy than spend my time on basketball forums. Wtf is that doing for my health and well being? :lol

But what's the point? You make it seem like you have no social life outside work and workout. If you enjoy that lifestyle than sure but that's just boring as **** from most people's pov.

buddha
07-21-2014, 09:58 PM
lol @ wasting so much time meal prepping and eating meals when you could be drinking soylent. I guarantee you my blood work is better than yours plus i'm not wasting time eating food like some dumb archaic hominid. more time to fap and post on IH, nomsayin.

Bird
07-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Between lifting, doing cardio, prepping my meals, eating my meals, ensuring that I get 8 hours of sleep, practicing, and playing, I'm hard pressed to know how some of these members on ISH have the time to do all that. My schedule Mon-Friday looks like this:

So tell me, how the hell do I get 10,000+ posts and still be a baller in real life?
I mean, who the hell is going to respect an opinion from someone about basketball if they aren't actually practicing what they preach?

So what's your end game?

You're not playing college ball, you're not playing overseas and you're not in high school.

What is the goal of playing twice a day, M-F, working out everyday of the week and eating 6 meals a day (and prepping meals everyday instead of prepping days worth of meals in one day)?

BuffaloBill
07-21-2014, 10:05 PM

Yeah because everyone who likes watching basketball obviously loves playing it everyday too

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 10:06 PM
So what's your end game?

You're not playing college ball, you're not playing overseas and you're not in high school.

What is the goal of playing twice a day, M-F, working out everyday of the week and eating 6 meals a day (and prepping meals everyday instead of prepping days worth of meals in one day)?

It's passed 10 PM he's in bed atm. :lol

Bird
07-21-2014, 10:08 PM
It's passed 10 PM he's in bed atm. :lol

Shit, my bad.

I guess he can answer the question when he is eating his 1st meal of the day or after his shooting drills and cardio.

Straight_Ballin
07-21-2014, 10:08 PM
So what's your end game?

The goal is to keep doing it because it feels great and I enjoy doing it. Social life is on the weekends. It's not that hard once you start doing it. What I'm doing is no different than what a pHD student is doing in terms of having a social life, accept I'm socializing with the people on the court. :lol. Anyways, bed time.

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 10:09 PM
lol @ wasting so much time meal prepping and eating meals when you could be drinking soylent. I guarantee you my blood work is better than yours plus i'm not wasting time eating food like some dumb archaic hominid. more time to fap and post on IH, nomsayin.

is that stuff even out for sale yet?

moe94
07-21-2014, 10:11 PM
This dude doesn't get, does he? Once you reach 20,000 posts, your vertical increases 20 inches and you get to steal the talent of one NBA player on some Space Jam shit. Get with it.

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 10:12 PM
The goal is to keep doing it because it feels great and I enjoy doing it. Social life is on the weekends. It's not that hard once you start doing it. What I'm doing is no different than what a pHD student is doing in terms of having a social life, accept I'm socializing with the people on the court. :lol. Anyways, bed time.

It's passed 10 PM op your 8 hour of sleep is being cut short. :no:

Mass Debator
07-21-2014, 10:20 PM
I feel ya man. Those small goals are the "good-feeling" part of life and contributes majorly to human growth. Setting your habits and routines straight open tons of opportunities in life especially when it comes to overcoming mental obstacles. Keep it up. If you haven't tried freezing cold showers/baths on a nightly basis, you haven't lived yet imo. :D

Bird
07-21-2014, 10:21 PM

If these are the reasons, why worry about what others do or why they do it?

Some people enjoy watching basketball and discussing it with others in person and online. Some people like to have a social life that happens everyday of the week. Some like to workout and hoop M-F then enjoy themselves on the weekend.

If you want to know how so many people have so many posts, you just need to realize that not everyone is the same. More than a few of them have realized that nothing is gained by having a schedule such as yours (being a great rec league player is nothing to brag about) and some of them even have jobs that require more than 40 hours per week or families that require their attention.

Not to mention, you obviously have plenty of free time on the weekend, so there should be no reason you cannot use that time to amass your 10,000 posts.

LBJFTW
07-21-2014, 10:28 PM
If these are the reasons, why worry about what others do or why they do it?

Some people enjoy watching basketball and discussing it with others in person and online. Some people like to have a social life that happens everyday of the week. Some like to workout and hoop M-F then enjoy themselves on the weekend.

If you want to know how so many people have so many posts, you just need to realize that not everyone is the same. More than a few of them have realized that nothing is gained by having a schedule such as yours (being a great rec league player is nothing to brag about) and some of them even have jobs that require more than 40 hours per week or families that require their attention.

Not to mention, you obviously have plenty of free time on the weekend, so there should be no reason you cannot use that time to amass your 10,000 posts.

I think you are missing the OP's point. Why would he spend what little time he has on the weekends posting on ISH. I commend what he is doing. At least he's living up to his name instead of living his life through other people's accomplishments like so many on this board. I wish I could still ball that much! Nothing is gained by having a schedule like that, but something is gained posting 10 times a day on a message board, most of which is propping up wanna be's?

Bird
07-21-2014, 10:35 PM
I think you are missing the OP's point. Why would he spend what little time he has on the weekends posting on ISH. I commend what he is doing. At least he's living up to his name instead of living his life through other people's accomplishments like so many on this board. I wish I could still ball that much! Nothing is gained by having a schedule like that, but something is gained posting 10 times a day on a message board, most of which is propping up wanna be's?

I didn't miss his point.

And I never said there was anything to gain by posting 10 times a day on a message board. Even I wonder how some of the guys on here get up to such crazy numbers of posts (one of the guys around here has like 7k or 8k posts since joining in January I do believe).

The point I was trying to make to him was, why does it matter what they do compared to what he does?

I too wish I could still ball even half that much, but with work, school and a family to tend to, I do not have much time to get away to play (not to mention, it is difficult to find a game where I live).

I feel like with the way he lives his life, based on the schedule he posted and how he talked about it, how others spend theirs shouldn't be finding space in his mind.

buddha
is that stuff even out for sale yet?

I wasn't talking about that company that sells over-priced crap, soylent also refers to the do it yourself recipes. it's not hard to go to a supermarket and buy oatmeal flour, protein powder and coconut oil. if you're crafty there's ways of getting protein powder 99 cents a lb.

TylerOO
98% of posters on here arent real ballers like me and you

Beastmode88
07-21-2014, 10:36 PM
I wasn't talking about the company that sells crap, soylent also refers to the do it yourself recipes. it's not hard to go to a supermarket and buy oatmeal flour, protein powder and coconut oil.

why not eat real food again? you can get good nutrition micro/macros just from basic food. half that shit taste like dirt.

stalkerforlife
07-21-2014, 10:40 PM

I respect your discipline and schedule.