PDA

View Full Version : Smoker's widow awarded 23 Billions! in a lawsuit

PistonsFan#21
07-21-2014, 08:58 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/20/smokers-widow-awarded-23b-in-lawsuit-against-rj-reynolds-tobacco-company

Sorry if this was already posted i didnt see a thread on the 1st 2 pages.

Thats insane. The reason used by her lawyer was total bullshit too. Who can honestly say they never heard that cigarettes are addictive/bad for you?

B-hoop
07-21-2014, 09:07 PM
They are ****ed now, gonna suffer with huge class-action lawsuits

Edit, just read the article and apparently the Supreme Court doesn't accept class-action suits for tobacco users, the amount of money will probably be lowered at a higher court

NumberSix
07-21-2014, 09:13 PM
This isn't the first time somebody has gotten this high of a ruling.

Qwyjibo
07-21-2014, 09:15 PM
Lucky!

I wish I had someone I really cared about then they died so that I could reap the benefits. Oh well. Maybe later.

Patrick Chewing
07-21-2014, 09:18 PM
Think I should start smoking.

NumberSix
07-21-2014, 09:38 PM
http://www.torontosun.com/2014/07/20/smokers-widow-awarded-23b-in-lawsuit-against-rj-reynolds-tobacco-company

Sorry if this was already posted i didnt see a thread on the 1st 2 pages.

Thats insane. The reason used by her lawyer was total bullshit too. Who can honestly say they never heard that cigarettes are addictive/bad for you?
I think it's pretty obvious that the guy started smoking like 40 years ago when tobacco companies were still hiding and denying the fact that cigarettes are not only addictive, but that they specifically engineered them to be as addictive as possible.

Droid101
07-21-2014, 09:40 PM
When did they start labeling/stop advertising on TV? That's going to be the cut off for these types of lawsuits.

Good on them for punching big tobacco in the eye, doe.

PistonsFan#21
07-21-2014, 10:10 PM
I think it's pretty obvious that the guy started smoking like 40 years ago when tobacco companies were still hiding and denying the fact that cigarettes are not only addictive, but that they specifically engineered them to be as addictive as possible.

the guy who died was 36 years old...

knickballer
07-21-2014, 10:48 PM
only in america

NumberSix
07-21-2014, 11:06 PM
the guy who died was 36 years old...
Yeah, he died at 36............ 18 years ago. :hammerhead:

PistonsFan#21
07-21-2014, 11:18 PM
Yeah, he died at 36............ 18 years ago. :hammerhead:

:facepalm he died in 1996. He was already 20 years old at the start of the 80's. You mean to tell me it wasnt known by then that cigarettes are bad and addictive?

ace23
07-21-2014, 11:55 PM
:facepalm he died in 1996. He was already 20 years old at the start of the 80's. You mean to tell me it wasnt known by then that cigarettes are bad and addictive?
He was addicted to them by then is what he's saying I think.

NumberSix
07-22-2014, 01:27 AM
It wasn't until the mid 1990's that it was revealed that cigarette companies KNOWINGLY were adding things to cigarettes that cause cancer and increase their addictive properties.

It's not about not knowing that tobacco isn't good for you. It's about all the chemicals they add to the tobacco that they knew causes cancer and they pretended like they didn't know.

They withheld the fact that they PURPOSELY add chemicals that cause cancer to make them more addictive.

GimmeThat
07-22-2014, 02:27 AM
I would like to believe that smokers didn't cough when they first started smoking, nor did they felt the burn in their lung.

it just doesn't sound very logical, that's all.

GimmeThat
07-22-2014, 02:30 AM
It wasn't until the mid 1990's that it was revealed that cigarette companies KNOWINGLY were adding things to cigarettes that cause cancer and increase their addictive properties.

It's not about not knowing that tobacco isn't good for you. It's about all the chemicals they add to the tobacco that they knew causes cancer and they pretended like they didn't know.

They withheld the fact that they PURPOSELY add chemicals that cause cancer to make them more addictive.

and 23 billions awarded to one widow?
did everyone else knew and were in with the company and just decided not to tell her as well?

you know, like the whole world?

NumberSix
07-22-2014, 02:38 AM
and 23 billions awarded to one widow?
did everyone else knew and were in with the company and just decided not to tell her as well?

you know, like the whole world?
NOBODY knew that tobacco companies were purposely adding chemicals that cause cancer until the mind 1990s.

Just because everybody knows it now does not mean it has been known forever.

NumberSix
07-22-2014, 02:42 AM
I would like to believe that smokers didn't cough when they first started smoking, nor did they felt the burn in their lung.

it just doesn't sound very logical, that's all.
People have been smoking tobacco for hundreds of years. What we have not been doing is smoking tobacco with arsenic and ammonia in it. Tobacco companies weren't telling people they were putting chemicals in the tobacco that the knew caused cancer.

I know drinking soda isn't good for me. I don't expect it to have arsenic in it though.

GimmeThat
07-22-2014, 03:02 AM
NOBODY knew that tobacco companies were purposely adding chemicals that cause cancer until the mind 1990s.

Just because everybody knows it now does not mean it has been known forever.

just surprised all that money to one widow only.

I guess she was the only victim.

GimmeThat
07-22-2014, 03:03 AM
People have been smoking tobacco for hundreds of years. What we have not been doing is smoking tobacco with arsenic and ammonia in it. Tobacco companies weren't telling people they were putting chemicals in the tobacco that the knew caused cancer.

I know drinking soda isn't good for me. I don't expect it to have arsenic in it though.

having good lawyers as well as doctors who are experts that are willing to testify helped peoples case I'm sure

masonanddixon
07-22-2014, 03:11 AM
I truly hate the crusade against smoking. We allow any idiot to have kids which is a far bigger burden on society, but if someone wants to light up it's now somehow a crime.

NumberSix
07-22-2014, 03:51 AM
I truly hate the crusade against smoking. We allow any idiot to have kids which is a far bigger burden on society, but if someone wants to light up it's now somehow a crime.
It's not a crusade on smoking. It a matter of putting harmful chemicals into products and not telling anyone and spending millions to keep the truth from getting out.

If you want to lace your product with cancer causing chemicals, you just have to be honest and let people know what they buying.

masonanddixon
07-22-2014, 04:50 AM
It's not a crusade on smoking. It a matter of putting harmful chemicals into products and not telling anyone and spending millions to keep the truth from getting out.

If you want to lace your product with cancer causing chemicals, you just have to be honest and let people know what they buying.

There's shit now like on the spot fines for smoking in designated areas and shit.

What other chemicals are in there besides tobacco? If anything the tobacco companies are heroes because they are doing their part in reducing the population numbers.

BlazerRed
07-22-2014, 05:36 AM
23 ****ing billion? That is just ridiculous. You could never spend that money.

NumberSix
07-22-2014, 07:03 AM
23 ****ing billion? That is just ridiculous. You could never spend that money.
The point is to punish them. Fining them a couple million would be meaningless to them. People should honestly be in prison. They what they did on purpose.

GimmeThat
07-22-2014, 08:11 AM

well, at least people now know about it since someone has filed a lawsuit on it.