PDA

View Full Version : 13/14 NBA's Best rim protectors

Legends66NBA7
07-22-2014, 01:35 AM
http://thechilltime.com/look-back-2014s-best-nba-rim-protectors/

[QUOTE]Big men who can protect the basket have become an increasingly valuable commodity in the NBA. Teams who possess an agile, athletic power forward or center who can take away opposing teams

navy
07-22-2014, 01:40 AM
Anyone that watches the Lakers and Heat know that Gasol and Bosh are horrible(average at best) rim protectors. The article lost credibility in that paragraph.

LoneyROY7
07-22-2014, 01:41 AM
DJ. :applause:

Legends66NBA7
07-22-2014, 12:22 PM
Bump.

kshutts1
07-22-2014, 12:32 PM
Anyone that watches the Lakers and Heat know that Gasol and Bosh are horrible(average at best) rim protectors. The article lost credibility in that paragraph.
Numbers don't lie, so they're likely not horrible/average-at-best. But a few possible reasons for your perception...

Your perception may be skewed by being a fan of one, or both, of the teams. I'm not sure.

The chart may be skewed, depending on what they consider a "contest" at the rim. If Pau or Bosh fail to make the proper rotation, and let a likely "contested" shot become an open dunk, was that taken in to account?

Did you expect more of them, since they're so tall?

50-55% shooting is really good... but at the rim, it's really not. So while that % may seem like it's high.... take a look at the league leaders in FG% at the rim. Then you'd see that Bosh and Gasol, while allowing upwards of 50% at the rim, are still preventing 10-25 percentage points, hypothetically speaking.

What I love about stats/numbers is, as long as we consider the context and limitations of them, they take out the element of perception.

nightprowler10
07-22-2014, 12:37 PM
DJ has to be a prime candidate for DPOY going in to the next season. He was a beast last year.

Dro
07-22-2014, 12:44 PM
Numbers don't lie, so they're likely not horrible/average-at-best. But a few possible reasons for your perception...

Your perception may be skewed by being a fan of one, or both, of the teams. I'm not sure.

The chart may be skewed, depending on what they consider a "contest" at the rim. If Pau or Bosh fail to make the proper rotation, and let a likely "contested" shot become an open dunk, was that taken in to account?

Did you expect more of them, since they're so tall?

50-55% shooting is really good... but at the rim, it's really not. So while that % may seem like it's high.... take a look at the league leaders in FG% at the rim. Then you'd see that Bosh and Gasol, while allowing upwards of 50% at the rim, are still preventing 10-25 percentage points, hypothetically speaking.

What I love about stats/numbers is, as long as we consider the context and limitations of them, they take out the element of perception.
good post. and I guess Hibbert still has some value....:confusedshrug:

navy
07-22-2014, 12:46 PM

Did you read the article? The numbers said they were average at best. But then the article made excuses for their numbers. My perception is reality.

Two names that are surprising to see in the middle of the pack are Marc Gasol and Chris Bosh. In this case, it appears the numbers do not tell the whole story. Gasol was injured early in the season, and that may have had a negative impact on his numbers. Bosh was a core piece of Miami’s high trapping strategy, and is generally regarded as an above average interior defender and rim protector. Despite what the chart may indicate, Bosh and Gasol are two of the best defensive big men in the NBA, and their presence in the middle of the rim protection chart is not indicative of their true defensive impact.

This paragraph was just false. Ive seen enough Laker and Heat games to tell you these two are not great rim protectors and no excuses need to be made for them.

Legends66NBA7
07-22-2014, 12:50 PM
Did you read the article? The numbers said they were average at best. But then the article made excuses for their numbers. My perception is reality.

This paragraph was just false. Ive seen enough Laker and Heat games to tell you these two are not great rim protectors and no excuses need to be made for them

Article is about Marc Gasol, not Pau. Marc was the former DPOY from a season ago, he was just hurt last year. He's much better defensively than his older brother.

JohnMax
07-22-2014, 12:50 PM
LeBron James’ decision to join the Cavaliers was a joyful one for the city of Cleveland, but new head coach David Blatt will have his work cut out for him on the defensive end. Tristan Thompson and Anderson Varejao combined to be one of the most porous rim protecting combinations in the NBA last season. The undersized Thompson, in particular, finished as one of the worst rim protectors on the chart, allowing opponents to shoot an embarrassing 59.1% against him. Including the very poor defender Kyrie Irving, Cleveland must make significant strides defensively if it wants to compete for a championship in 2014-15.

Now do you see why Cleveland values Andrew Wiggins so much

Graviton
07-22-2014, 12:51 PM
Ibaka may be great when it comes to weakside blocks and "rim protection" but his man to man and overall post defense is still lacking. He still bites on too many pump fakes, rushes for flashy blocks and just doesn't display intelligent defensive IQ. That's why Duncan/Diaw destroyed OKC so easily with simple passing and multiple angles.

Ibaka still operates mainly on instinct, he is easily tricked by smarter players and gets lost on D. That's why Pop was so mad at the Spurs players when they lost after Ibaka returned, they were challenging him at the rim straight up, without any ball movement or smart play. But once they started working AROUND Ibaka instead of going at him they cut OKC's defense to pieces. Ibaka has a loooong way to go if he wants to become a real defensive anchor like Duncan.

JohnMax
07-22-2014, 12:55 PM
Graviton, can you tell me why Ibaka was so effective guarding Blake Griffin?

How did Griffin figure him out? He was able to score easier against Ibaka as more games passed.

navy
07-22-2014, 01:05 PM
Article is about Marc Gasol, not Pau. Marc was the former DPOY from a season ago, he was just hurt last year. He's much better defensively than his older brother.

Your right. Alright, Chris Bosh only then. :oldlol:

Although from what Ive seen Marc Gasol is much more of a positional guy than these other rim protectors. Gets to the right places even though he doesnt jump high to get blocks.

Duggrr
07-22-2014, 01:06 PM
Lord Fropez :bowdown:

This dude is underrated as hell. One of the primary reasons why Portland had such a huge jump in the 14' season.

navy
07-22-2014, 01:06 PM

How did Griffin figure him out? He was able to score easier against Ibaka as more games passed.
Blake has no post game and relies of strength to score. Ibaka could match it.

kshutts1
07-22-2014, 01:11 PM

This paragraph was just false. Ive seen enough Laker and Heat games to tell you these two are not great rim protectors and no excuses need to be made for them.
Middle of the pack for that list of players. Is that all rim-protectant players in the NBA? If so, then I concede to your point. If that list of players encompasses only a portion of all such players, then I'd still argue that being "middle of the pack" there implies that he, Bosh, is still above other players, and therefore higher than average.

But regardless, I did say that stats can be misleading based on context.

wally_world
07-22-2014, 02:09 PM
DJ. :applause:

Wut? Opponents had a high FGA at the rim against DJ, but actually shot close to 50%, not that commendable at all. He blocks a ton of shots, but that doesn't translate to good defense, like this chart showed.

navy
07-22-2014, 02:12 PM
Wut? Opponents had a high FGA at the rim against DJ, but actually shot close to 50%, not that commendable at all. He blocks a ton of shots, but that doesn't translate to good defense, like this chart showed.
Read the chart again. That was the top ten list he was in. Which is good.

I know because I made the same mistake of thinking where he was meant he was bad.

Graviton
07-22-2014, 03:32 PM

Because as I said Ibaka isn't that good of a 1v1 straight up defender, Griffin scored on him easily with post ups and face ups. He is quicker and stronger than Ibaka on top of more explosiveness. You see how frustrated Ibaka gets when he plays Griffin, can only nut punch him. :oldlol:

Ibaka always has issues 1v1 vs any decent big man, once you know to pump fake, avoid the weakside block and go AROUND him instead of at him you get free points.

Graviton
07-22-2014, 03:35 PM
Blake has no post game and relies of strength to score. Ibaka could match it.
Really? Did you watch any of the OKC/Clippers matchups in the regular season or playoffs this past season? Griffin rapes Ibaka every time, and he actually does have a post game, it just has like 2 moves but those moves are enough to dump on Ibaka. Griffin's quickness is the biggest issue, not his strength.

JimmyMcAdocious
07-22-2014, 03:38 PM
Bargs. :applause:

Like a great shutdown corner. Balls don't get thrown his way and when it does, he shuts them down. :bowdown:

SOD 21
07-22-2014, 03:47 PM
Blake Griffin only shot 46% from the field against Oklahoma City in the playoffs and that is 7% less than the averaged during the regular season and in the first round against Golden State.

Ibaka and Oklahoma City must have done something right against Griffin defensively.

Graviton
07-22-2014, 04:06 PM
Blake Griffin only shot 46% from the field against Oklahoma City in the playoffs and that is 7% less than the averaged during the regular season and in the first round against Golden State.

Ibaka and Oklahoma City must have done something right against Griffin defensively.

All-time after 15 games Blake is averaging 23/10/4 on 52% vs Ibaka. 24/9/4 on 46% in the playoffs but only on 18 shot attempts. His TS% is still good either way, not to mention everyone's percentages drop in the playoffs. Blake more often than not shits on Ibaka, how he performs isn't affected by Serge's defense as much as it is by his own self. Sometimes Clippers don't go to Griffin and jack up 3s, but when they feed him he performs well most of the time.

I watch all OKC games, I know who gives us issues and Blake is definitely one of them.

Inferno
07-22-2014, 04:08 PM
Lopez is damn near the top :eek:

And WTF, where's Bogut? Ah, I see him. Elite. :applause: