PDA

View Full Version : BREAKING: Emmanuel Mudiay (top HS player) will play in China; $1.2 million contract

bagelred
07-22-2014, 02:14 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--emmanuel-mudiay-agrees-to--1-2-million-deal-to-play-in-china-150156352.html

Emmanuel Mudiay has agreed to a one-year, $1.2 million contract with Guangdong of the China Basketball Association, the richest overseas contract ever for a high school player, a source told Yahoo Sports.

Mudiay, 19, had been faced with eligibility issues for his freshman season at Southern Methodist University under Hall of Fame coach Larry Brown and made the decision to play in China before becoming eligible for the 2015 NBA draft.

This guy is 3rd pick of 2015 on one of those mock draft sites.

This is awesome. Let's hope more top picks go overseas, so we can shut down the slave labor practices of the NCAA. :rockon:

"Der...but he is an amateur, amateurs can't get paid. Dat ain't right. Der." Buh bye NCAA. Slave labor no more...

imnew09
07-22-2014, 02:16 PM
Making 1.2 mil at age 19 and im just here typing in this fken forum

hawksdogsbraves
07-22-2014, 02:20 PM
Hope it works out better for him than it did Brandon Jennings

noob cake
07-22-2014, 02:26 PM
Even Calipari can't match that kind of salary.

Good choice.

Eric Cartman
07-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Ironic that he has to go to China to avoid worker slavery.

Brokenbeat
07-22-2014, 02:48 PM

:applause: :oldlol:

navy
07-22-2014, 02:51 PM
:oldlol:

Bandito
07-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Making 1.2 mil at age 19 and im just here typing in this fken forum
Was thinking the same thing too :(

Andrew Wiggins
07-22-2014, 03:45 PM
great for him to get paid but china is awful developmentally, especially for a raw, athletic point guard

shady6121
07-22-2014, 03:52 PM

:lol

PJR
07-22-2014, 03:52 PM
This is going to become a trend very soon.

Sarcastic
07-22-2014, 03:53 PM
great for him to get paid but china is awful developmentally, especially for a raw, athletic point guard

Colleges are awful for development as well. College coaches are not incentivized to develop players. They are incentivized to win games, and they will do so to the detriment of a player.

outbreak
07-22-2014, 04:04 PM
Colleges are awful for development as well. College coaches are not incentivized to develop players. They are incentivized to win games, and they will do so to the detriment of a player.
Uh one of the big things they are judged on is developing players and how their players turn outin the nba. That's the reason good coaches get good recruits every year because they know that coach can develop them to nba level. Interesting move wonder if it'll work out. Who was the guy a couple years back who went there? I remember someone did and it was the worst move and they dropped bad I stock

magnax1
07-22-2014, 04:11 PM
Thank god. So few NCAA basketball skills are translatable directly to the NBA like euroleague.
As for China....idk. I've never watched their games. All I know was starbury was dropping crazy stats there for a while.

R.I.P.
07-22-2014, 04:18 PM

Post of the Year. :bowdown: :bowdown:

:D :D

Spurs5Rings2014
07-22-2014, 04:31 PM

:roll:

G-train
07-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Somewhere, Yi Jianlian is smiling.

G-train
07-22-2014, 05:03 PM

Royal Ivey will take him under his wing.

32MJ32
07-22-2014, 07:35 PM
Hope it works out better for him than it did Brandon Jennings

?

Jennings went at #7 after his year in Europe then made the All-Rookie 1st Team. How is that a bad outcome? Sounds like a good one, to me, when you factor in he got paid for his year in Rome. He'd have likely ended up in the exact same NBA situation had he gone to school and been paid $0.00 in the process.

A bad outcome for this guy would be going overseas and off the radar of NBA teams, falling out of the 1st round entirely and almost not making the league after being rated as one of the top HS prospects in the USA, like Jeremy Tyler did.

noob cake
07-22-2014, 07:38 PM
?

Jennings went at #7 after his year in Europe then made the All-Rookie 1st Team. How is that a bad outcome? Sounds like a good one, to me, when you factor in he got paid for his year in Rome. He'd have likely ended up in the exact same NBA situation had he gone to school and been paid $0.00 in the process.

A bad outcome for this guy would be going overseas and off the radar of NBA teams, falling out of the 1st round entirely and almost not making the league after being rated as one of the top HS prospects in the USA, like Jeremy Tyler did.

Jennings was miserable his year abroad. Instead of living in Rome, he will be living in Shanghai. Living in Europe is much more suitable for a young black basketball player.

32MJ32
07-22-2014, 07:45 PM
Jennings was miserable his year abroad. Instead of living in Rome, he will be living in Shanghai. Living in Europe is much more suitable for a young black basketball player.

So because Jennings was reportedly "sad" (source?) it was a bad idea? He got paid, got an endorsement deal from Under Armour that he couldn't have signed in college, got picked in the lottery and played pretty well as an NBA rookie. Reads like a winning move, for mine.

And have you been to Shanghai? Or do you live there? Or are you just casting aspersions and making generalisations from your PC? Plenty of "young black basketball player(s)" seem to be making good livings in China at the moment

ralph_i_el
07-22-2014, 07:48 PM

I assume you've been to China then if that's what you think?

outbreak
07-22-2014, 07:57 PM
Jeremy Tyler was the one I was thinking of in my earlier post, I was wrong though he went to israel and japan.

buddha
07-22-2014, 07:57 PM
This is awesome. Let's hope more top picks go overseas, so we can shut down the slave labor practices of the NCAA. :rockon:

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

**** the college industrial complex

Akrazotile
07-22-2014, 08:07 PM

"Der...but he is an amateur, amateurs can't get paid. Dat ain't right. Der." Buh bye NCAA. Slave labor no more...

So youll crticize the NBA on your big bad soapbox for using "slave labor".

But if they dont change their policy and continue operating the exact same way using "slaves"... You'll still watch and enjoy and probably buy a jersey or two.

Big man right here. Look at you. :applause:

flipogb
07-22-2014, 08:34 PM
Mudiay will have a statue in China and then be an NBA lottery pick

wakencdukest
07-22-2014, 09:12 PM
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/source--emmanuel-mudiay-agrees-to--1-2-million-deal-to-play-in-china-150156352.html

I'd like to see more kids out of high school signing multi-year contracts overseas. We need to spread some talent around the globe, let them develop for a few years or more and get paid while doing it.

HylianNightmare
07-22-2014, 09:17 PM
Hope he boosts his stock

WeGetRing2012
07-22-2014, 10:44 PM
Uh one of the big things they are judged on is developing players and how their players turn outin the nba. That's the reason good coaches get good recruits every year because they know that coach can develop them to nba level. Interesting move wonder if it'll work out. Who was the guy a couple years back who went there? I remember someone did and it was the worst move and they dropped bad I stock

Some college players end up staying in school much longer because coaches don't develop them quickly or they stay to long & don't get drafted (Macadoo-lottery pick to undrafted)

Mudlay will be fine. Exum just went in the lottery and he played in a weaker league vs. weaker competition. NBA coaches will want him. It's the NCAA that creates this idea that college is best for the pros when in most cases the top HS prospects would do better going overseas.

bagelred
07-22-2014, 10:45 PM
So youll crticize the NBA on your big bad soapbox for using "slave labor".

But if they dont change their policy and continue operating the exact same way using "slaves"... You'll still watch and enjoy and probably buy a jersey or two.

Big man right here. Look at you. :applause:

Not the NBA, the NCAA. The NBA pays it's employees, last I checked....

But nice try though. :cheers:

D-Rose
07-22-2014, 11:08 PM
If I could go live in another country and play basketball as one of these young guys, it'd be Australia. Not sure about the $ though, but I see why Jonny Flynn went there for a gig.

Hope Mudiay pans out and comes over next draft.

Cactus-Sack
07-22-2014, 11:28 PM
Hope this becomes a trend.

32MJ32
07-22-2014, 11:30 PM
If I could go live in another country and play basketball as one of these young guys, it'd be Australia. Not sure about the $ though, but I see why Jonny Flynn went there for a gig.

Hope Mudiay pans out and comes over next draft.

There's not a whole lot of money on offer down here, certainly not anywhere close the amount you could get in Europe.

FWIW, although he had already been drafted, James Ennis just spent a year here "on loan" from Miami. I'd say it helped him earn a roster spot with the Heat, as he played really well, and it was good for our league to have a player of his calibre. Hopefully, it's something that is replicated going forward.

MavsSuperFan
07-22-2014, 11:33 PM
:lol

Seriously though this is a legit way to get around the minimum age requirement in the NBA

MavsSuperFan
07-22-2014, 11:35 PM
with his money, hire a coach to help develop him.

I am always skeptical of how much can you really develop players. Is any sport really that complex? Its not brain surgery.

Talent is want disguishes busts from successful players imo

Akrazotile
07-23-2014, 12:01 AM
I have no problem with guys' rights to do it this way, but for me the thing is if you cant even meet basic college elligibility requirements with a million dollar future on the line, how likely are you to be a good NBA player? For every Derrick Rose theres a bunch of Michael Beasley, Darius Miles, Korleone Young, JR Smith, Tyreke Evans, Andre Blatche. Why do people even want to watch guys like that??

Obviously not everyone who came in from highschool did so bc of poor academics, so Im not talkin bout those guys. But do we not enjoy watching high IQ teams like the Spurs and Heat and Mavs play in the finals? I dont understand how so many OBVIOUSLY dumb and immature players keep getting drafted with high picks just bc they can jump high. Cant people SEE what kind of teams and players are winning each year?? And yet we still get teams drafting guys with low iq and character flags. Its ridiculous.

hawksdogsbraves
07-23-2014, 12:15 AM
?

It hurt his draft stock and messed up his development (imo).

I honestly think he'd probably be better off just training all year a la Dante Exum.

MavsSuperFan
07-23-2014, 12:16 AM
I have no problem with guys' rights to do it this way, but for me the thing is if you cant even meet basic college elligibility requirements with a million dollar future on the line, how likely are you to be a good NBA player? For every Derrick Rose theres a bunch of Michael Beasley, Darius Miles, Korleone Young, JR Smith, Tyreke Evans, Andre Blatche. Why do people even want to watch guys like that??

Obviously not everyone who came in from highschool did so bc of poor academics, so Im not talkin bout those guys. But do we not enjoy watching high IQ teams like the Spurs and Heat and Mavs play in the finals? I dont understand how so many OBVIOUSLY dumb and immature players keep getting drafted with high picks just bc they can jump high. Cant people SEE what kind of teams and players are winning each year?? And yet we still get teams drafting guys with low iq and character flags. Its ridiculous.

Being smart in math, science, english, etc and getting good grades doesnt translate to high basketball IQ. Look at all the articles on the gpa inflation among major college athletic programs.

There are tons of guys geniuses at one thing Eg. art, that are incapable of handling, Stem courses.

for me the thing is if you cant even meet basic college elligibility requirements with a million dollar future on the line, how likely are you to be a good NBA player?
Really irrelevant, as professional sports is 99% physical.

HurricaneKid
07-23-2014, 12:30 AM

Why are you assuming its academics?

Its not. There is an NCAA investigation and the kid did something. Probably had cream cheese with bagels.

D-Rose
07-23-2014, 07:55 AM
**** the NCAA. They make billions off guys like this that would never want to go to college otherwise. People like this have a one in a million talent and deserve to earn their maximum potential.

Akrazotile
07-23-2014, 08:03 AM
Why are you assuming its academics?

Its not. There is an NCAA investigation and the kid did something. Probably had cream cheese with bagels.

Youre right I did assume and if my assumption was wrong about this particular case thats my bad.

However I still think the point in general is valid, Im not saying anyone has to be GOOD at particular subjects but you dont have to be good at subjects to get passing grades, you just have to make a minimal effort. And I guess it just annoys me when the NBA is supposed to be the best bball league in the world and we have guys like michael beasley being drafted second overall. I mean there are so many flat out DUMB players on the court and off who get drafted. I just dont understand why teams dont take more caution with this. The Spurs never draft guys with character/maturity issues and look where they are. Why arent other teams doing the same???

Real Men Wear Green
07-23-2014, 08:35 AM
Comparing NCAA to slavery is stupid. Players are not being forced to join it the way that slavery was forced. Nor does it have slavery's horrors. You can disagree with NCAA policies without making ridiculous comparisons.

SpanishACB
07-23-2014, 08:48 AM

:applause:

however, it's more ironic seeing yankees laugh at other countries slavery or standing against communism when they have it right at home and seem pretty happy with it giving the NCAA millions and millions in merchandise and TV deals.

SpanishACB
07-23-2014, 08:53 AM

this is a troll post right?

mentioning the Spurs to support your argument it actually destroys it when you realize the amount of players they have that were teen professionals.

moe94
07-23-2014, 08:55 AM

This entire post is just wtf :coleman:

SpanishACB
07-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Comparing NCAA to slavery is stupid. Players are not being forced to join it the way that slavery was forced. Nor does it have slavery's horrors. You can disagree with NCAA policies without making ridiculous comparisons.

They're not getting their work's worth. That's what we mean.

learn a bit smartass:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_slavery

ILLsmak
07-23-2014, 08:58 AM

Depends on coach. Even if a player is underutilized for a whole season, if the coach is great and can put him on to a few things that he can practice in ncaa, it's worth. I'm dead srs about the nba and ncaa being in bed and the nba punishing players for not going thru college. Whether it be thru bad hype or never letting them get calls, they have huge incentive to not let people beat that system.

-Smak

moe94
07-23-2014, 09:03 AM
Depends on coach. Even if a player is underutilized for a whole season, if the coach is great and can put him on to a few things that he can practice in ncaa, it's worth. I'm dead srs about the nba and ncaa being in bed and the nba punishing players for not going thru college. Whether it be thru bad hype or never letting them get calls, they have huge incentive to not let people beat that system.

-Smak

What do you base this on? The NBA is all about stars and if a player who skipped college has the talent to be one and exhibits it through his production, I highly doubt they'd go out of their way to hinder his success because his success is also theirs.

ILLsmak
07-23-2014, 09:04 AM
Being smart in math, science, english, etc and getting good grades doesnt translate to high basketball IQ. Look at all the articles on the gpa inflation among major college athletic programs.

There are tons of guys geniuses at one thing Eg. art, that are incapable of handling, Stem courses.

Really irrelevant, as professional sports is 99% physical.

Double post. U wrong son lol. It could be that some people are not taught the right way, but intelligence is the ability to adapt and learn. Essential skills. You might say in something as finite as basketball (at least how most play it) abstract ideas are counter productive, think the argument of 40 percent threes vs sixty percent twos. You ideally want people who will follow orders, but you want them to be able to grasp what you're saying. It's more than u taky ball n put hoop.

-Smak

ILLsmak
07-23-2014, 09:06 AM
What do you base this on? The NBA is all about stars and if a player who skipped college has the talent to be one and exhibits it through his production, I highly doubt they'd go out of their way to hinder his success because his success is also theirs.

No true star has ever done it. It's seen as a huge risk. Nba loses by ppl going overseas. As I said it's a system. Triple post.

-Smak

Real Men Wear Green
07-23-2014, 09:06 AM
They're not getting their work's worth. That's what we mean.

learn a bit smartass:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voluntary_slavery
"Voluntary slavery" is an oxymoron dumbass. Some of them (a definite minority) are not getting compensated on par with what they are bringing to their school, and a lot of them have no interest in the education they are receiving. That's a fact. But guess what? Like Mudiay, they don't have to join the NCAA. IMO they should be allowed to get endorsement deals but the language some of you are using equating an NCAA scholarship to slavery which is a true evil is excessive and stupid.

jzek
07-23-2014, 09:09 AM
Must be a tough decision:

a) Earn 1.2 million playing basketball
b) Go to college while earning 0

Real Men Wear Green
07-23-2014, 09:10 AM
"Voluntary slavery" is an oxymoron dumbass. Some of them (a definite minority) are not getting compensated on par with what they are bringing to their school, and a lot of them have no interest in the education they are receiving. That's a fact. But guess what? Like Mudiay, they don't have to join the NCAA. IMO they should be allowed to get endorsement deals but the language some of you are using equating an NCAA scholarship to slavery which is a true evil is excessive and stupid.
I just looked at the link. Equating people selling themselves into slavery with an NCAA scholarship is every bit as stupid as, well, as calling an NCAA scholarship "slavery." Do we really need to point out the differences? When Mudiay abandoned SMU did Larry Brown have his foot cut off?

SpanishACB
07-23-2014, 09:11 AM

i get it. but you're just assuming we aren't aware of the differences between slavery and what goes on the NCAA, of course we are. It's a legit comparison for what it is, I don't think it's so offensive you felt the need to be pedantic about it.

moe94
07-23-2014, 09:13 AM
i get it. but you're just assuming we aren't aware of the differences between slavery and what goes on the NCAA, of course we are. It's a legit comparison for what it is, I don't think it's so offensive you felt the need to be pedantic about it.

It's not even remotely comparable to slavery. He's got a point. :kobe:

SpanishACB
07-23-2014, 09:15 AM
It's not even remotely comparable to slavery. He's got a point. :kobe:

probably because you're completely unaware of any form slavery outside of the white patron whipping a negro

Real Men Wear Green
07-23-2014, 09:16 AM
No, it is completely illegitimate. A slave can't leave and a number of things about their living conditions were horrific. An NCAA athlete can leave, cannot be beaten by his/her coach, has the rights accorded to any other citizen (assuming their a citizen), etc. You're being sensationalist to emphasize your point and it's a dumb tactuic to be taking. Slaves are/were truly suffering. A guy like Manziel or Tebow simply isn't making as much as he could if not for some rules that we may find unreasonable but they agreed to.

moe94
07-23-2014, 09:17 AM
probably because you're completely unaware of any form slavery outside of the white patron whipping a negro

Cool implication but that doesn't change the fact that it's not slavery, by any means. Your hyperbole is tiresome and retarded.

Andrew Wiggins
07-23-2014, 09:26 AM
lmao, "spanishacb" always goes out of his way to steer every thread into his "white vs black/why black people are intrinsically dumber/why the us is evil" propaganda

Andrew Wiggins
07-23-2014, 09:32 AM

sure they are and development and winning aren't mutually exclusive.

developing players for the next level also attracts more high level players to your program and one of the key ingredients to coach calipari's success.

i've seen a few CBA games live and the level of play and discipline is awful. they give the ball to their american point guard and big man and let him take 20+ shots a game. everything is isolation and run and gun. you get very little idea of how to run a team and players who can't shoot are quite successful in this league

Jailblazers7
07-23-2014, 09:44 AM
The NCAA thing is more like indentured servitude. NCAA gives access to scouting, facilities, and top competition (i.e. protect their status as a prospect like Smak is saying) to players for a year of labor.