PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony: I want to win

Legends66NBA7
07-26-2014, 04:05 AM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nba/story/_/id/11263468/carmelo-anthony-talks-decision-return-new-york-knicks

LAS VEGAS -- Carmelo Anthony said it was not the money, but instead his confidence in team president Phil Jackson and his belief that the New York Knicks "aren't that far away from contending for an NBA title," that made him opt to remain in New York instead of signing with the Chicago Bulls.

"I want to win. I don't care about the money," Anthony told ESPN.com. "I believe Phil will do what he has to do to take care of that.

"I don't think we're that far away," he added. "People use 'rebuilding' too loosely."

"It was overwhelming," Anthony said. "It was stressful in the final days, one of the hardest decisions I've ever had to make."

Anthony said, though, it ultimately came down to New York and Chicago.

"I was flip-flopping," he admitted. "It was hard. It was Chicago, but then after I met with L.A., it was L.A. But it came back to Chicago -- and was pretty much always Chicago or New York. That's a situation where I could have walked in now to an opportunity to compete for the next however many years."

But the 30-year-old Anthony said he is invigorated to work with a new team president in Phil Jackson and a new coach in Derek Fisher.

"It's a matter of me believing in the organization, believing in Phil," Anthony said. "I wanted to go somewhere where I can end my career."

Anthony, who was second in the league in scoring last season at 27.4 points per game, met with several teams throughout the process: the Bulls, Lakers, Mavericks and Rockets.

He joins a retooled Knicks club that dealt away Tyson Chandler and Raymond Felton in exchange for point guard Jose Calderon, Samuel Dalembert, Shane Larkin and Wayne Ellington. The Knicks also drafted talented forward Cleanthony Early and added free agent Jason Smith. New York returns Anthony, J.R. Smith, Tim Hardaway Jr. and Andrea Bargnani -- as well as an aging Amar'e Stoudemire.

"I feel like we have a brand-new team," Anthony said. "It's a new beginning. It's excited."

Anthony said he felt LeBron James' move back to Cleveland opened up the Eastern Conference.

"It balances everything out," he said. "There's balance from one to eight right now. The East is balanced."

dubeta
07-26-2014, 04:06 AM
"I dont care about the money" :roll: :roll:

PickernRoller
07-26-2014, 04:08 AM
Nikka really said he didn't care about em money? :lol :lol

Cocaine80s
07-26-2014, 04:08 AM
What a dumbass. If he ended up in Chicago they wouldve been a lock for the finals

Da Hammer
07-26-2014, 04:09 AM
"I want to win" So he stays in New York with a team that hasn't been able to compete in a complete shit conference. :coleman: :biggums: :facepalm

Smook A.
07-26-2014, 04:09 AM
I doubt Melo would've re-signed if the Knicks offered him less.

He's all about the green. If he really cared about winning, he'd be a Chicago Bull right now.

Smoke117
07-26-2014, 04:10 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: Carmelo probably actually believes these words coming out of his mouth.

moe94
07-26-2014, 04:12 AM
"I want to win. I don't care about the money,"

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/2013/10/camron.gif

GimmeThat
07-26-2014, 04:15 AM
good to know his spending habits are in check.

poido123
07-26-2014, 04:16 AM
Thread title :oldlol:

If he wanted to win, hed sacrifice something to get it :(

Warfan
07-26-2014, 04:18 AM
"I want to win. I don't care about the money,"

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-89e_1GDOtrI/UwplqEQLcfI/AAAAAAAADFE/ybhgOCaoBfQ/s1600/1.gif

moe94
07-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Michael Jordan: "I don't care about gambling"
Kobe Bryant: "I don't care about white girls"
Jerry Seinfeld: "I don't care about Superman"
Fleece Johnson: "I don't care about booty"

dubeta
07-26-2014, 04:21 AM
"I wanna win, so I stayed with the lottery knicks oh by the way coincidently they can offer me the most money but that doesnt really matter":facepalm

Legends66NBA7
07-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Fleece Johnson: "I don't care about booty"

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view/1064044/fleece-johnson-o.gif

keep-itreal
07-26-2014, 04:24 AM
"I want to win"

you already did Melo. $120 million dollars man... good lord:eek:

Harison
07-26-2014, 04:45 AM
I have to admit, winning and money part were funny :lol

GimmeThat
07-26-2014, 04:55 AM
I wish every inconvenient path lead to success

at least this way, we can disregard history

Chicago Brawls
07-26-2014, 04:59 AM
"I wanted to go somewhere where I can end my career."

Sarcastic
07-26-2014, 05:27 AM
Yet, everyone wanted him on their team.

If money was not an issue (it always is, no matter what anyone says), he would have taken a vet min contract with Cleveland.

-Lebron23-
07-26-2014, 06:25 AM
Yet, everyone wanted him on their team.

If money was not an issue (it always is, no matter what anyone says), he would have taken a vet min contract with Cleveland.
Butthurt man realizing she's only with him because of money right here.

UK2K
07-26-2014, 06:30 AM
But he took a pay cut right?

He saved the NYK $1.5m per year?

What a swell guy. Good luck 'winning'.

-Lebron23-
07-26-2014, 06:32 AM

Stop it. They got Calderon, didn't you know?

russwest0
07-26-2014, 06:38 AM
"I wanted to go somewhere where I can end my career."

Welcome to New York, Melo.

Denitron
07-26-2014, 07:17 AM
:lol :lol :lol

Da Hammer
07-26-2014, 07:26 AM

http://31.media.tumblr.com/3604ab58f162495b382192deabb0d6d1/tumblr_mptli2RJDp1sppmago1_400.gif

ILLsmak
07-26-2014, 09:41 AM
I doubt Melo would've re-signed if the Knicks offered him less.

He's all about the green. If he really cared about winning, he'd be a Chicago Bull right now.

Well he wants to win. Who doesn't wanna win? lol.

It really is kind of a weird slope that people should change teams to a better winning situation. I mean, if Melo wins in NY somehow, that would be huge.

I think NY has talent. I think they have a lot of players that could be assets, but all of them are on too large of contracts.

They aren't rebuilding... but they are not a contender. It's hard to rebuild into a contender when you weren't one. So, maybe they are more "trying to take the next step."

-Smak

Optimus Prime
07-26-2014, 11:44 AM
:lol

"Bu...but he didn't take the max! He cares about winning!" :roll:

I wonder what's worse...that Melo believes this junk, or the Knicks fans who believe it and will defend it rabidly.

If he seriously wanted to win, he would have gone to Chicago or Houston. He wanted the benjamins and the spotlight. There is nothing wrong with that, but at least be honest.

The Knicks have an over-30 volume scorer who will only decline on a max contract. They also have an unproven front office who just hired an unproven coach with no real assets whatsoever (:lol Shumpert and Hardaway). Chicago and Houston would have been insane with Melo. Yet he goes to the Knicks because he "cares about winning"?

I can think of at least 120 million reasons why that is a bald-faced lie. :kobe:

SpecialQue
07-26-2014, 11:46 AM
:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

http://myreactiongifs.com/gifs/nicolascageconfusedemotions.gif

funnystuff
07-26-2014, 11:47 AM
Who can possibly be a fan of this guy. :facepalm

Lebronxrings
07-26-2014, 11:49 AM
loser is a loser. No playoff melo.

Dro
07-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Man, you dudes are some Carmelo haters for real, I'm not even a fan of the guy. He said he thinks Phil can get the right pieces around him and he likes Fisher as a coach. I don't have any reason to believe he's lying. Sure, he probably wants the money AND he wants to win. You know, a person can have both you know. And there was no guarantee he'd win anything in Chicago. Better chances? Sure, with an oft-injured D-rose, Noah, and Jimmy Butler. And all of you would have taken that $120 million dollar contract too. Doesn't mean you don't want to win but who would and who SHOULD pass up that kind of money? He earned it by being a very good player and the Knicks are willing to pay it so why are we hating on Carmelo again? Because its cool?:confusedshrug:

ShackEelOKneel
07-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Phil Jackson is quite the trickster if the reason Melo re-signed was because he thinks the Knicks will be winning.

GimmeThat
07-26-2014, 12:48 PM
Phil Jackson is quite the trickster if the reason Melo re-signed was because he thinks the Knicks will be winning.

you have no idea what attractive role players do to the mind of some FAs

red1
07-26-2014, 12:52 PM
odds of melo retiring ringless? I say 99%

LoneyROY7
07-26-2014, 12:54 PM
C'mon son.

07-26-2014, 12:57 PM
Haters are gonna hate.

Had melo jump ship to Chicago, the haters would be saying he is a ring chaser.

Roundball_Rock
07-26-2014, 01:00 PM
:roll:

How many teams have successfully built around a 30 year old superstar? The problem is when they make real improvements, if their plan works, Carmelo will have declined...

If he wanted to win he should have went to Chicago. He is the Dominique Wilkins of this era now.

funnystuff
07-26-2014, 01:04 PM

How many teams have successfully built around a 30 year old superstar? The problem is when they make real improvements, if their plan works, Carmelo will have declined...

If he wanted to win he should have went to Chicago. He is the Dominique Wilkins of this era now.
Don't disrespect Nique. :no:

CelticBaller
07-26-2014, 01:13 PM
Wants to win

Joins Knicks

:yaohappy:

smoovegittar
07-26-2014, 01:25 PM
"I believe in Phil..."

Right there. Have your laugh.

Jackson has shown me he can get it done. I'll roll the next few years with this. I'll let y'all get back to chirping about Bron. :oldlol:

Lebronxrings
07-26-2014, 01:36 PM

superstars make the playoffs.

Hey Yo
07-26-2014, 01:57 PM
http://www.si.com/nba/2014/06/18/carmelo-anthony-free-agency-knicks-bulls-heat-rockets

In this link, (written before Melo re-signed) it breaks down what all the taxes Melo would be paying if he would have chose either NY, Chicago, Houston or Miami. Plus remember teams outside of NY would have to make a lot of roster changes in order to fit Melo in.

By choosing NY and their 5yr deal compared to a 4yr deal, he's guaranteed between 11.4 to 12.8mil more in take home pay than the other 3 teams could offer after the contract was up and he becomes a FA.

By him agreeing with the Knicks and taking a little less than the max offer he was offered...he now is getting even less take home pay and making the numbers posted above even less in comparison.

Basically the difference he's getting from the Knicks for 5yrs (less than max) than the other 3 teams (4yrs max) is not that substantial.

Rocketswin2013
07-26-2014, 02:09 PM
He's saying the right things. Making NY and their fans know he's committed to them. They'll love the shit out of him for that. :oldlol:

But realistically, he put the guaranteed $124 mil and shine over winning. Can't blame him though.

BigBoss
07-26-2014, 02:51 PM
How would he know that their " not far away" if he's never won a championship :coleman:.

Carmello stays losing.

edrick
07-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Of course he doesn't care about the money now, he already got it.

DMAVS41
07-26-2014, 02:52 PM
Carmelo is a moron. He should have just opted in and then become a free agent next year.

He's going to end up costing himself a lot of money. Opting out basically cost him a million...and he was still getting his 5 year max contract next year.

That way he could actually see what the Knicks are going to do next year in free agency before he commits long term.

He's a ****ing idiot on and off the court.

Da Hammer
07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
Carmelo is a moron. He should have just opted in and then become a free agent next year.

He's going to end up costing himself a lot of money. Opting out basically cost him a million...and he was still getting his 5 year max contract next year.

That way he could actually see what the Knicks are going to do next year in free agency before he commits long term.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Honestly I think he was so desperate for attention and wanting to be courted that he really didn't think shit through.

Hey Yo
07-26-2014, 03:39 PM

But he just locked himself into a lot of money for the next 5 years.....that's idiocy? Plus the Knicks will have a lot of cap space next summer.

They have better chances of attracting / signing above avg. FA's knowing that Melo is going to be there, than just the opposite.

Not sure why you're so salty about him??

Legends66NBA7
07-26-2014, 03:48 PM
Haters are gonna hate.

Had melo jump ship to Chicago, the haters would be saying he is a ring chaser.

That's the flaw of a hater, though. They can't think rationally.

On the other hand, majority of people would have wanted to see him get the best chance possibly to win now. How he gets the ring in terms of his career should be irrelevant. As long as he has a ring(s), it shouldn't bother himself.

I<3NBA
07-26-2014, 04:37 PM
even without D.Rose, Chicago was a playoff team just with Noah and that squad. with Melo, they would have been a lock for the ECF.

hawksdogsbraves
07-26-2014, 04:40 PM
Melo and the Knicks were made for each other

Roundball_Rock
10-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Carmelo Anthony said it was not the money, but instead his confidence in team president Phil Jackson and his belief that the New York Knicks "aren't that far away from contending for an NBA title," that made him opt to remain in New York instead of signing with the Chicago Bulls.

"I want to win. I don't care about the money," Anthony told ESPN.com.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

HomieWeMajor
10-29-2014, 10:22 PM
Y'all see the move Phil Jackson pulled off ?