PDA

View Full Version : Can the OKC Thunder win a Championship with Scott Brooks as head coach?

SillyRabbit
07-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Everyone knows that Brooks is the weak link of OKC.

People like to pretend that Durant could "do more" or that their bench is "weak" but it's evident to anyone who watches more than a few Thunder games that Brooks is the anchor that is holding down the team.

If given the opportunity to coach the Thunder's lineup, 90% of the head coaches in the NBA would have not only matched his "success," but surpassed it.

The Thunder's gameplan is basically to rely on Durant and Westbrook's talent to "make tough shots." They have no playbook. It's all reliant on ISO and talent.

Personally I think that no matter how talented your roster is, you can't win without a title without a competent coach.

Seriously, who was the worst coach in the past 10 years to win a title? Spoelstra? Considering how badly Spoelstra embarrassed Brooks in 2012, that just goes to show you how bad Brooks is.

So my question is simple:

Do you see the Thunder winning a Championship with Brooks as the coach? Or do they need to hire a competent head coach to finally get over the hump?

russwest0
07-26-2014, 04:25 AM
I don't know but I am going to laugh my f*cking ass of if we are still starting Perkins next season.

dubeta
07-26-2014, 04:25 AM
What these fans dont know is that Brooks is the reason OKC is even relevant :facepalm

OKC fans throw him under the bus but he's the one who puts GOATbrook and Durant in positions to succeeed

keep-itreal
07-26-2014, 04:31 AM
OKC Thunder's offense consist of Russell Goatbrook and Kevin Durant going 1 v 5 in every possession.

But it's still very impressive though since they managed to beat the stacked Clippers team.

SillyRabbit
07-26-2014, 04:34 AM
OKC Thunder's offense consist of Russell Goatbrook and Kevin Durant going 1 v 5 in every possession.

But it's still very impressive though since they managed to beat the stacked Clippers team.

The fact that they're able to beat teams like the Clips and Grizzlies despite the fact that they have no gameplan and every play they run is so predictable that teams literally anticipate what they will do before they even do it, just goes to show how good they could be with a competent coach.

You give them Carlisle, Rivers, Spoelstra, hell even an average coach like Terry Scotts and they likely already have a title.

GimmeThat
07-26-2014, 05:08 AM
if he works hard during the offseason.

I don't say it's impossible.

Cowboy Thunder
07-26-2014, 10:41 AM
OKC Thunder 2015 NBA Champions

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Will happens:applause: :applause:

http://sportige.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/Scott-Brooks2.jpg

...............................................Hi

JtotheIzzo
07-26-2014, 10:45 AM
Coaches in today's NBA only need to not f*ck up. Sure they need to implement a system and run plays, but everyone has the same access to info so it isn't really an edge.

Pop f*cks up the least, and when he does (like last year's finals) it costs him just like it does everyone else (who f*cks up more).

Brooks f*cks up a lot and has some pretty challenging players to coach.

Lebronxrings
07-26-2014, 11:39 AM
if the heat won with spo, why can't okc win with brooks.

Brooks>>>>>>>>>>spo

Nastradamus
07-26-2014, 11:46 AM
Definitely. He's a good fit for them. They'll win this year IMO.

Optimus Prime
07-26-2014, 11:48 AM
I highly doubt it.

http://nba247365.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/Kendrick-Perkins.jpg

Bless Mathews
07-26-2014, 12:14 PM
No.

Brooks is a horrible horrible coach.

DMAVS41
07-26-2014, 12:29 PM
Yea, but it won't be easy.

They would have won either in 13 or 14 if they had a fully healthy squad.

And they would have definitely won last year if Presti hadn't saddled them with Thabo/Fisher/Butler all playing key minutes...

Lebronxrings
07-26-2014, 01:37 PM
Yea, but it won't be easy.

They would have won either in 13 or 14 if they had a fully healthy squad.

And they would have definitely won last year if Presti hadn't saddled them with Thabo/Fisher/Butler all playing key minutes...
fcking closet durant stan.

KendrickPerkins
07-26-2014, 01:43 PM
Yup.

2015 and 2016 is ours. Put it in the bag.

SOD 21
07-26-2014, 03:26 PM
I understood three or four years ago why Scott Brooks ran such a simple offense because his players were young and he wanted to maximize their individual talent due to their remarkable athleticism, which I was fine with at the time.

But what is frustrating is that he is been unable to implement a more sophisticated offense with better ball movement, more complex offensive sets and better ball movement over the last couple of seasons. This is an indictment on Scott Brooks that he has been unable to show any growth in this area over the last couple of seasons.

The bad part for Oklahoma City is that the players like him because he is a good guy and just lets them play. But they need more than that from their head coach. It is a mistake not to bring in some offensive coach to help implement a better system this off-season.

Failure to either make a coaching change or at a minimum bring in an assistant offensive coach, will continue to see the same frustrating shortcomings from this team. The worst part is that it all seems so fixable.

SupermanOnSteroids
07-26-2014, 03:27 PM
no