PDA

View Full Version : Micheal Jordan led the Bulls in playoffs asts in 89,90,91,93

juju151111
07-26-2014, 09:14 PM
What couldn't this guy tho? He was sick. Even through he had a great passing SF in Scottie Pippen, He still outpaced him when playoffs time roles around.

fpliii
07-26-2014, 09:16 PM
One of the best ever. :bowdown:

juju151111
07-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Beast mode?:bowdown:

G.O.A.T
07-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Everything went through Jordan, unless teams were resigned to go one on one, which rarely happened, he was gonna have a ton of chances for assists. The triangle offense is a great offense to get assists in because there are always big men and spot up shooters in a position to score of a double team or help.

navy
07-26-2014, 09:21 PM
The best ever. :bowdown:
Fixed. :coleman:

juju151111
07-26-2014, 09:21 PM
Everything went through Jordan, unless teams were resigned to go one on one, which rarely happened, he was gonna have a ton of chances for assists. The triangle offense is a great offense to get assists in because there are always big men and spot up shooters in a position to score of a double team or help.
Scottie Pippen was leading in asts in the regular season through in 91 and 93. The playoffs was another story. It seems Mj knew he needed to facilitate more.

Soundwave
07-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Jordan was a very underrated passer. It was just overshadowed by his incredible scoring abilities, but he very rarely made a bad pass or flat out wrong basketball play. I think a lot of this comes from his college seasoning under Dean Smith.

Yes he was a flashy scorer, but under that he also had the benefit of rock solid fundamentals.

He was also very good at making split second decisions with the ball. He was able to play more of a facilitator role if he wanted to and if a teammate had an easy score, he was more than a willing passer.

Roundball_Rock
07-26-2014, 09:30 PM
The thread is inaccurate. Pippen led the Bulls in assists in the 91' playoffs. He also led them in assists in the 92' playoffs, 94' playoffs (where he led the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, minutes and was second in blocks), 95' playoffs, 96' playoffs, 97' playoffs and 98' playoffs.

Pippen was not the primary ballhandler until 1991, which is when the triangle was implemented. He led the team in assists in the regular season in 91', 92', 93', 94', 95', 96', 97', and 98'.

What is the OP's point? MJ led the team in assists during two championship seasons in the playoffs (where he had the ball more)?

He was able to play more of a facilitator role if he wanted to and if a teammate had an easy score, he was more than a willing passer.

At times yes but not always. He often would go into "MJ ball" mode, especially at end of games versus staying within the triangle system. He would at times cut off teammates for one minor mistake (i.e. missing a shot or dropping a pass)--and demand others do the same. Even as late as 1995 Jackson had to explain to him the benefit of passing to the open 52% three point shooter instead of taking a 2 pointer with 3 defenders in front.

He was a great playmaker when he wanted to be, though.

Soundwave
07-26-2014, 09:36 PM
The thread is inaccurate. Pippen led the Bulls in assists in the 91' playoffs. He also led them in assists in the 92' playoffs, 94' playoffs (where he led the team in scoring, rebounding, assists, steals, minutes and was second in blocks), 95' playoffs, 96' playoffs, 97' playoffs and 98' playoffs.

Pippen was not the primary ballhandler until 1991, which is when the triangle was implemented. He led the team in assists in the regular season in 91', 92', 93', 94', 95', 96', 97', and 98'.

What is the OP's point? MJ led the team in assists during two championship seasons in the playoffs (where he had the ball more)?

At times yes but not always. He often would go into "MJ ball" mode, especially at end of games versus staying within the triangle system. He would at times cut off teammates for one minor mistake (i.e. missing a shot or dropping a pass)--and demand others do the same. Even as late as 1995 Jackson had to explain to him the benefit of passing to the open 52% three point shooter instead of taking a 2 pointer with 3 defenders in front.

MJ was more than willing to pass if the teammate was actually hitting 52% of their shots.

He would go away from it if his teammates were hesistant or not confident or flat out stinking up the joint, and "MJ ball" won the Bulls plenty of games during the championship era too, game 6 vs. Utah is a fair example of that.

And you're right he was a great playmaker. Underrated here for sure.

It would've stiffled the Bulls development if he chose to play that role though, it would've cut Pippen off from his role and it would've held back Paxson and BJ Armsrong's development too.

andgar923
07-26-2014, 09:37 PM
The amazing thing is how he got his assists.

Not that they were amazing passes per se, but how he managed to get assists considering his options.

It's easy to get assists when you have the most dangerous/versatile offensive player in the history of the league as your teammate.

fpliii
07-26-2014, 09:38 PM

Wasn't it implemented in 90?

G.O.A.T
07-26-2014, 09:38 PM
Scottie Pippen was leading in asts in the regular season through in 91 and 93. The playoffs was another story. It seems Mj knew he needed to facilitate more.

I just think he got more responsibility in the playoffs. That's how Phil likes it. Let the supporting cast carry you as much as possible in the regular season and be fresh for the playoffs. Pop has turned this into an art.

Pippen was the teams top play maker, by design and because he was best at it. Jordan getting more assists in the playoffs is a result of touches, not him being a better passer than Pippen.

Wasn't it implemented in 90?

Partially, fully in 1991.

Jackson details it in a few of his mediocre books.

juju151111
07-26-2014, 09:39 PM

Pippen avg 5.8 asts in 91 playoffs bro and Mj avg 8.4. Go sit the **** down
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/p/pippesc01.html
http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/j/jordami01.html

:lol

guy
07-26-2014, 09:41 PM
The thread is inaccurate. Pippen led the Bulls in assists in the 91' playoffs.

No it's actually accurate. 8.4 to 5.8

juju151111
07-26-2014, 09:43 PM
I just think he got more responsibility in the playoffs. That's how Phil likes it. Let the supporting cast carry you as much as possible in the regular season and be fresh for the playoffs. Pop has turned this into an art.

Pippen was the teams top play maker, by design and because he was best at it. Jordan getting more assists in the playoffs is a result of touches, not him being a better passer than Pippen.

Partially, fully in 1991.

Jackson details it in a few of his mediocre books.
Actually 91 was Mj lowest playoffs usage rate. He breezed through the 91 season bro. Every other season he carried a larger load in his prime

juju151111
07-26-2014, 09:44 PM
No it's actually accurate. 8.4 to 5.8
Dreamworld these Pippen fans live in.:oldlol:

OldSchoolBBall
07-26-2014, 09:46 PM
The thread is inaccurate. Pippen led the Bulls in assists in the 91' playoffs.

No, he didn't.

juju151111
07-26-2014, 09:47 PM
No, he didn't.
Also people saying it's because of his usage rate is wrong. Mj had his lowest usage rate in 91 playoffs.

Nash
07-26-2014, 09:53 PM
Hasn't Lebron lead his teams in ppg, apg and rpg every year his team has been in the playoffs?

navy
07-26-2014, 09:54 PM
Hasn't Lebron lead his teams in ppg, apg and rpg every year his team has been in the playoffs?
ppg and assist probably. Rebounds? I doubt it.

andgar923
07-26-2014, 09:54 PM

Yeah but f*ck him.

Nash
07-26-2014, 09:56 PM
ppg and assist probably. Rebounds? I doubt it.
yes, that too :lol

dude is out of this world

Warfan
07-26-2014, 09:57 PM

The first year i checked (07), Big Z averaged 9.7 and Bron averaged 8.1. I think what you said is true in Miami though.

Nash
07-26-2014, 09:58 PM
The first year i checked (07), Big Z averaged 9.7 and Bron averaged 8.1. I think what you said is true in Miami though.
yeah, I checked it and that was the only time he didn't lead his team in all categories.

stalkerforlife
07-26-2014, 09:59 PM

:biggums:

:facepalm

navy
07-26-2014, 10:01 PM
yeah, I checked it and that was the only time he didn't lead his team in all categories.

Bosh 8.5
Lebron 8.4

NBAplayoffs2001
07-26-2014, 11:08 PM
The amazing thing is how he got his assists.

Not that they were amazing passes per se, but how he managed to get assists considering his options.

It's easy to get assists when you have the most dangerous/versatile offensive player in the history of the league as your teammate.

to be honest, I always found his assists numbers especially astounding when he was a rookie. 5 assists with a piss poor supporting cast is pretty impressive. What was his best 2nd option, Orlando Woodridge. A dude who can score decently but couldn't rebound for his life?

jrong
07-26-2014, 11:11 PM

No. Wade outscored him in 2011.

Angel Face
07-26-2014, 11:13 PM
GOAT :pimp:

played0ut
07-26-2014, 11:19 PM

he shouldn't be doing that much work. it'll wear him down.

and even if some people here hate him, it'll be a sad, sad day for basketball fans when lebron gets to retirement stage.

andgar923
07-26-2014, 11:20 PM
to be honest, I always found his assists numbers especially astounding when he was a rookie. 5 assists with a piss poor supporting cast is pretty impressive. What was his best 2nd option, Orlando Woodridge. A dude who can score decently but couldn't rebound for his life?

According to Roundball he was an "elite player"

NBAplayoffs2001
07-26-2014, 11:20 PM
According to Roundball he was an "elite player"

I think its debateable.

Roundball_Rock
07-27-2014, 12:03 AM
You are correct on the 91' playoffs. I forgot to scroll down. :lol

I think its debateable.

Who Orlando Woolridge? I have never called him elite. He was a 21-23 ppg second option at SF, though...

GimmeThat
07-27-2014, 01:13 AM
he didn't lead them in height, that's for sure.

juju151111
07-27-2014, 07:38 AM

Who Orlando Woolridge? I have never called him elite. He was a 21-23 ppg second option at SF, though...
I was correct on every freaking year I posted. The funny thing is Mj had his Lowest usage% in 91 and still was getting every one involved.

andgar923
07-27-2014, 07:42 AM

You did in the other thread.

If I misread and mistook you for somebody else, then my apologies.

juju151111
07-27-2014, 11:20 AM
You did in the other thread.

If I misread and mistook you for somebody else, then my apologies.
He is delusional

mehyaM24
07-27-2014, 11:34 AM
:applause:

didn't pippen lead the team in assists for 4/6 finals runs (92,96,97,98)? now THAT is impressive. not only was he the teams #1 assist guy, but the best rebounder and defender all while conducting the bulls offense :eek: was there anything pippen couldn't do? :bowdown:

Trollsmasher
07-27-2014, 11:36 AM
He was a ballhog:confusedshrug:

Try to surprise us next time, OP

he didn't lead them in height, that's for sure.
neither in length

juju151111
07-27-2014, 11:42 AM

didn't pippen lead the team in assists for 4/6 finals runs (92,96,97,98)? now THAT is impressive. not only was he the teams #1 assist guy, but the best rebounder and defender all while conducting the bulls offense :eek: was there anything pippen couldn't do? :bowdown:
Yea must of that came when Mj was old. Most of the other years Mj was leader:bowdown:

Roundball_Rock
07-27-2014, 12:09 PM
I have never said Woolridge was elite. What I said is what he was: a 21-23 ppg second option. MJ stans insist MJ could do just fine with any reasonable second option yet did nothing with Woolridge at SF.

Don't forget he also ran the defense.

diamenz
07-27-2014, 01:32 PM
what's most impressive about mj's assists are how he would make the defense come to him through a myriad of offensive moves. the majority of those assists are to players under the basket too - not ez 3 point passes.

roundball, i get the feeling you hate jordan more than you like pippen, or any other player for that matter. why do you put forth so much energy to this?

juju151111
07-27-2014, 03:26 PM
I have never said Woolridge was elite. What I said is what he was: a 21-23 ppg second option. MJ stans insist MJ could do just fine with any reasonable second option yet did nothing with Woolridge at SF.

Don't forget he also ran the defense.
Yea when Mj got old Pippen started avgering more asts. Pippen didn't run any defense.