PDA

View Full Version : Peak Shaq, Criminally Underrated

JtotheIzzo
07-27-2014, 02:30 AM
dominated (proper domination) in an era when domination was a thing of the past.

much more dominant peak than Bird, Magic, Jordan or LeBron.

we laugh at him like he has always been the fat buffoon he is, but there was a three year stretch where he played the game at a higher level than ANYONE has ever played (sorry Wilt, but he would have clowned those silly white boys back in your day too).

navy
07-27-2014, 02:32 AM
Peak Shaq is rated fine. Orlando Shaq is underrated.

hawksdogsbraves
07-27-2014, 02:34 AM
dominated (proper domination) in an era when domination was a thing of the past.

much more dominant peak than Bird, Magic, Jordan or LeBron.

we laugh at him like he has always been the fat buffoon he is, but there was a three year stretch where he played the game at a higher level than ANYONE has ever played (sorry Wilt, but he would have clowned those silly white boys back in your day too).

Pretty much everyone agrees that prime Shaq is about as good of a player who has ever stepped foot on a court. Problem is his prime didn't last all that long.

Bless Mathews
07-27-2014, 02:36 AM
Prime Shaq top 5 player.

Warfan
07-27-2014, 02:38 AM
The thing people criminally underrate about him is his longevity. Most people consider his peak one of, if not the best ever.

Legends66NBA7
07-27-2014, 02:41 AM
It's often considered the GOAT peak, Top 3 at worst. Not at all underrated.

Shaq's longevity is underrated.

moe94
07-27-2014, 02:41 AM
Pretty much everyone agrees that prime Shaq is about as good of a player who has ever stepped foot on a court. Problem is his prime didn't last all that long.

He averaged something like 25/11/3blks for 14 seasons.

Kvnzhangyay
07-27-2014, 02:42 AM
I have it 2 greatest peak all time (company being Jordan Lebron Hakeem). Not bad company at all

played0ut
07-27-2014, 02:43 AM
Nah everyone knows he had GOAT tier peak.

But his work ethic. Oh, his work ethic.

After Shaq won his first ring? He told his teammate he's going to come back at 400 lbs.

He wasn't far off. :oldlol: :oldlol: :oldlol:

hawksdogsbraves
07-27-2014, 02:47 AM
He averaged something like 25/11/3blks for 14 seasons.

Yeah, it's more than I thought. He was putting up 'prime' stats for 10 years. Kobe did it for 13, but he's had great longevity.

Shaq is rated as a top 10 player though all time, hard to say he's underrated.

Dizzle-2k7
07-27-2014, 03:03 AM
:facepalm

prime shaq was the BIGGEST DUDE in the league but AVERAGE DEFENSE (lazy mindset) :roll:

also cant be counted on in the clutch or 4th quarters because he cant do a basic fundamental skill: shoot freethrows :roll:

hes top 10 all time , but stop it with saying hes top 5 .. he has no argument over any of the following: mj, kareem, russel, duncan, magic

hawksdogsbraves
07-27-2014, 03:12 AM
:facepalm

prime shaq was the BIGGEST DUDE in the league but AVERAGE DEFENSE (lazy mindset) :roll:

also cant be counted on in the clutch or 4th quarters because he cant do a basic fundamental skill: shoot freethrows :roll:

hes top 10 all time , but stop it with saying hes top 5 .. he has no argument over any of the following: mj, kareem, russel, duncan, magic

I'd say he certainly has an argument over Duncan and Magic

JerrySeinfeld
07-27-2014, 03:14 AM
Prime Shaq top 5 player.

prime shaq is arguably a top 2 player

played0ut
07-27-2014, 03:18 AM
I'd say he certainly has an argument over Duncan and Magic

how? He has less of everthing in the major categories, barring FMVP

Magic
5x Rings
3x FMVP
3x MVP

Tim Duncan
5x Rings
3x FMVP
2x MVP

Shaq
4x Rings
3x FMVP
1x MVP

The only thing he has on them is better peak numbers. Besides peak numbers, the others have better work ethic and are better leaders.

Dizzle-2k7
07-27-2014, 03:19 AM

Magic
5x Rings
3x FMVP
3x MVP

Tim Duncan
5x Rings
3x FMVP
2x MVP

Shaq
4x Rings
3x FMVP
1x MVP

you didnt even post the first team all defense selections.... duncan blows them both out of the water :bowdown:

played0ut
07-27-2014, 03:25 AM
you didnt even post the first team all defense selections.... duncan blows them both out of the water :bowdown:

lol too many categories. There's also assists leader too.

But yeah. Defense is the other half of the game. I'd probably put Duncan over Magic too if you consider defense.

Such a shame Magic's career was so short. He was in his prime and could've easily gone for 5 more years.

hawksdogsbraves
07-27-2014, 03:32 AM

Magic
5x Rings
3x FMVP
3x MVP

Tim Duncan
5x Rings
3x FMVP
2x MVP

Shaq
4x Rings
3x FMVP
1x MVP

The only thing he has on them is better peak numbers. Besides peak numbers, the others have better work ethic and are better leaders.

I'm not saying he's better than them, I'm just saying you could put forth a compelling argument based on what you just said, their peak numbers.

Shaq's peak numbers blow anything Duncan or Magic did out of the water.

30ppg/13rpg/4apg/3bpg on 57%FG. That's out of this world.

Sarcastic
07-27-2014, 04:25 AM
Dominated when all the other great centers were past prime/retired.

His peak is rated fine, for the most part. Only way it's underrated is if someone puts Duncan ahead of him.

JtotheIzzo
07-27-2014, 05:28 AM
Looks like most of the replies are in agreement that his peak is GOAT worthy.

Its funny how he is such a tier two or after though in GOAT convo, how Duncan, Kobe, and now LeBron all rank ahead of him.

I have seen a lot of rankings like this:

Jordan

Kareem, Russell

Wilt

Magic
Bird

Duncan, Kobe, LeBron

Shaq
Hakeem

But I think Shaq should be higher, but his buffoonery is such a detriment to his legacy.

MiseryCityTexas
07-27-2014, 05:30 AM
This thread title is stupid. Shaq was hands down the best player in the NBA when he won all of LA's championships.

JtotheIzzo
07-27-2014, 05:35 AM
This thread title is stupid. Shaq was hands down the best player in the NBA when he won all of LA's championships.

I know you are from Texas which likely means you are either inbred, stupid or some head up your arse right wing piece of shit, so I will try and be nice.

If you are going to call a thread stupid, please better understand the context because it will backfire on you and make you look even 'stupider'.

ya ken?

Mgamer20o0
07-27-2014, 06:13 AM
But I think Shaq should be higher, but his buffoonery is such a detriment to his legacy.
he was unstoppable when he wanted to be. look the rules they changed to stop him. he would have 2-3 guys riding on him most of the game and still able to score.

only down side was free throws and his work ethic. how many years did he come in out of shape. the whole i got hurt on company time i will heal on company time.

MiseryCityTexas
07-27-2014, 06:28 AM
Your context of the thread title is bullshit.

MiseryCityTexas
07-27-2014, 06:29 AM
How can a player be underrated when he was easily the best player on the team (yes better han Kobe), and have all kinds of commericals on television for that era. Who's really the stupid one?:oldlol:

T_L_P
07-27-2014, 07:05 AM
Dominated when all the other great centers were past prime/retired.

His peak is rated fine, for the most part. Only way it's underrated is if someone puts Duncan ahead of him.

All-time rankings or peak? Peak I agree with, but at this point you need to make the case for Shaq being ahead of Duncan -- not the other way around.

Roundball_Rock
07-27-2014, 10:42 AM
The thing people criminally underrate about him is his longevity. Most people consider his peak one of, if not the best ever.

Exactly. He had a prime that lasted from 1994-2005 and he was a top 10 player for another two seasons (1993 and 2006). In other words, he was a top 5 player as long as Magic (12 years) and Bird (13 years) played, let alone comparing prime to prime.

Peak Shaq is rated fine. Orlando Shaq is underrated.

Miami Shaq is underrated too.

choppermagic
07-27-2014, 10:54 AM
How is he underrated? When people talk about winning a 7 game series, Shaq is frequently mentioned as the starting center. His dominance in 2000 is near legendary right now and the 2000-2001 Lakers is held up against pretty much other all time great teams when comparing face offs.

I think your premise is way off.

Peak Shaq is one of the most highly regarded peaks there is. Maybe his prime is a bit underrated, but not his peak.

Rocketswin2013
07-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Shaq's peak is considered the GOAT by half the people here. Don't see how he's underrated. Let alone "criminally".

JtotheIzzo
07-27-2014, 11:37 AM
Your context of the thread title is bullshit.

You speakuh Engrish?

Magic 32
07-27-2014, 11:50 AM
A more interesting question is how many regular seasons he took off.