PDA

View Full Version : The Myths of Jeremy Lin

Kidbasketball20
07-27-2014, 11:19 AM
1) He is a bad defender

Houston organization/media propaganda did this in order to make Bev look better as a defender. The fact is Lin is a a very capable defender/hustler and was praised constant times for it during Linsanity.

2) He is a turnover machine

His TO's have gone down each year, and given the right role as a starter he can afford to cause a few TO's in exchange for aggressive team basketball. His TO's last season and the 2nd half of the season before that are solid in terms of TO's.

3) He is a scrub.

Given he gets starter minutes on this team next season (and ESPN claims Nash is gonna be the starter :roll: :roll: ) his floor is at worst a top 15 PG in the league.

4) He isn't clutch

Linsanity and the Rockets disastrous organization can thrive regardless of circumstance. The Lakers are a great fit for him.

5) Ball hogs screw up his game

He ended up playing well with Melo, and learning to adjust to overrated "All Star" James Harden

Kobe is a legend who will instill an amazing work ethic/leadership ability to Lin

JtotheIzzo
07-27-2014, 11:35 AM
He's the 20-30th best PG in the NBA, not worth the amount of hype he generates

I<3NBA
07-27-2014, 01:01 PM
6. He is Chinese.

FKAri
07-27-2014, 01:26 PM
I agree those are all myths except the turnover machine one. Dude flat out is a turnover machine.

ralph_i_el
07-27-2014, 01:51 PM
Yeah I'm sure the Houston organization were the ones saying Lin was a bad defender. That makes sense (if you're actually retarded)

HoopDreams247
07-27-2014, 02:22 PM
Yeah I'm sure the Houston organization were the ones saying Lin was a bad defender. That makes sense (if you're actually retarded)

Their commentators certainly seemed to work hard to create that image. By all defensive statistics, Lin is an above average defender.

Kidbasketball20
07-27-2014, 02:36 PM

You obviously didn't watch the Houston Rockets regular season games with the broadcasters/media :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

brantonli
07-27-2014, 02:42 PM
His defence is okay, he obviously tries hard but is nowhere are tenacious or up in your face as Beverley is. Does get beat by quick PGs quite easily though. His TOs are fine too, never heard that as much of a complaint tbh.

The biggest problem of Jeremy Lin is his tendency to drive into the lane, jump up, and THEN decide what to do with the basketball. He has a quick first step, no doubt, but his decision making with hte ball isn't brilliant. He sometimes just gets stuck with no frigging clue what to do, and throws the ball away.

ralph_i_el
07-27-2014, 02:51 PM
You obviously didn't watch the Houston Rockets regular season games with the broadcasters/media :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Because he hasn't actually been a good defender...

He doesn't move that well laterally and he gets beat by guards with good handles often. At least when I've watched.

He's an average player who happens to be Asian. If he was black or white no one would care

Rocketswin2013
07-27-2014, 03:02 PM
An 18.4 TO% is pretty horrific for a PG. And that's not even an upgrade from last year. I mean Rondo's is that yearly but his Ast % is nearly three times more than Lins. Lin is just a turnover machine and an average at best player. Period.

Kidbasketball20
07-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Because he hasn't actually been a good defender...

He doesn't move that well laterally and he gets beat by guards with good handles often. At least when I've watched.

He's an average player who happens to be Asian. If he was black or white no one would care

No one cared about him to be taken seriously BECAUSE he was Asian, hence why he was cut three times and undrafted.

ralph_i_el
07-27-2014, 03:19 PM
No one cared about him to be taken seriously BECAUSE he was Asian, hence why he was cut three times and undrafted.

There is no evidence that he was getting cut because he was Asian. He was probably getting cut because you don't want a backup pg who can't hold onto the ball.

In fact golden state was only keeping him as an end of the bench/dleague fodder because he was Asian and hence a fan favorite in the bay area

strifed169
07-27-2014, 03:27 PM

Its true, I remember Webber sucking Bevs dick cause after he made Lillard turn the ball over, saying he's the heart and soul n shit

Legends66NBA7
07-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Myth: Jeremy Lin is not a hype machine.

Oly BC
07-27-2014, 04:02 PM
There is no evidence that he was getting cut because he was Asian. He was probably getting cut because you don't want a backup pg who can't hold onto the ball.

In fact golden state was only keeping him as an end of the bench/dleague fodder because he was Asian and hence a fan favorite in the bay area
Why would an average player be cut then? Shouldn't all the below average players be cut first?

SpecialQue
07-27-2014, 04:05 PM
Myth: Lin is from China.

Lin was born in Torrance, CA, in LA county.

ralph_i_el
07-27-2014, 04:09 PM
Why would an average player be cut then? Shouldn't all the below average players be cut first?
Because players look and play differently under different conditions, and also can GROW their game with time.

If you actually believe Lin was tearing it up in practice and these teams cut him anways, there is no use having this argument.

Lin can ball. He's no scrub. But he gets an annoying amount of attention for a highly replaceable guard. He's not top 15 at his position

outbreak
07-27-2014, 04:55 PM
Because players look and play differently under different conditions, and also can GROW their game with time.

If you actually believe Lin was tearing it up in practice and these teams cut him anways, there is no use having this argument.

Lin can ball. He's no scrub. But he gets an annoying amount of attention for a highly replaceable guard. He's not top 15 at his position

I agree with this, in a league that's full of above average point guards he is an average player who plays a position that can easily be filled. There's other guys who can put up the same production as Lin who aren't ranked high at all. Hell Jameer Nelson put up similar stats and he isn't top 15, Vasquez and Devin Harris are close to the same level as Lin as well. If Lin were 19-21 years old maybe you'd look at him as a prospect but he's 26 now isn't he?

smoovegittar
07-27-2014, 06:10 PM
I actually think being in LA. will up his game.

Cocaine80s
07-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Pretty sure during Linsanity no one was praising his defense. Infact most people were calling it his biggest weakness at the time

kshutts1
07-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Not top 15?
Not in order...

Rondo
Paul
Westbrook
Curry
Parker
Wall
DWill
Conley
Lowry
Lawson
Holiday
Teague
Dragic (don't consider Bledsoe a PG)
Thomas
Irving
Lillard

Then some question marks... MCW? Rose? Calderon?

I think 17-22 is fair for Lin.

Edit cuz I forgot Lillard.

gyu
07-27-2014, 06:43 PM
I agree with this, in a league that's full of above average point guards he is an average player who plays a position that can easily be filled. There's other guys who can put up the same production as Lin who aren't ranked high at all. Hell Jameer Nelson put up similar stats and he isn't top 15, Vasquez and Devin Harris are close to the same level as Lin as well. If Lin were 19-21 years old maybe you'd look at him as a prospect but he's 26 now isn't he?
26 isn't too old. Plus some guys are late bloomers like kyle Lowry, Billups, etc.

BuffaloBill
07-27-2014, 07:02 PM
Pretty sure during Linsanity no one was praising his defense. Infact most people were calling it his biggest weakness at the time

nah. they were saying going left was his weakness

outbreak
07-27-2014, 07:04 PM
and the turnovers

Kidbasketball20
07-27-2014, 07:05 PM

they praised his defensive and hustle in multiple games

The narrative was he helped the TEAM play better and energized them offensively and defensively

:applause: :banana: :bowdown: :pimp:

niko
07-27-2014, 10:23 PM
Myth: Jeremy Lin is a pass first point guard. He's a Marbury type (not personality clearly) whose assist come off creating his own offense.

Why the Lin reassurance? Be happy, he's off that bunch of douchebags in Houston who clearly didn't like him (and Morey who was resentful he got paid so much).

niko
07-27-2014, 10:24 PM
they praised his defensive and hustle in multiple games

The narrative was he helped the TEAM play better and energized them offensively and defensively

:applause: :banana: :bowdown: :pimp:
No, his defense was not what was being praised. The other things you said are true but no one said "wow that Lin is killing it on defense". In fact if you look back, his lack of defense (vs. Calderon, vs. Deron) was probably one of the few negatives talked about in the early run.

King Jane
07-27-2014, 10:28 PM
http://cannablogna.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/bizarre-old-school.gif

Kidbasketball20
07-27-2014, 10:36 PM
No, his defense was not what was being praised. The other things you said are true but no one said "wow that Lin is killing it on defense". In fact if you look back, his lack of defense (vs. Calderon, vs. Deron) was probably one of the few negatives talked about in the early run.

He was known and praised for his steals in games against the Lakers and Mavs.

UK2K
07-27-2014, 10:43 PM
An 18.4 TO% is pretty horrific for a PG. And that's not even an upgrade from last year. I mean Rondo's is that yearly but his Ast % is nearly three times more than Lins. Lin is just a turnover machine and an average at best player. Period.
His turnover rate last season was identical to the season before. As was his turnovers per 36 minutes.

Beverley's TO rate last year was 11%, and his TOper36 was 1.4 compared to Lin's 3.1.

Oh, and he can't follow simple directions. Directions like, if you get the rebound up two points with seconds remaining on the clock dont try and dribble the ball out... We all remember that play.

nathanjizzle
07-27-2014, 10:47 PM
7. he has a small eggroll.

stalkerforlife
07-27-2014, 10:50 PM
Lin can ball.

Just wait.

Kvnzhangyay
07-27-2014, 11:11 PM
His turnover rate last season was identical to the season before. As was his turnovers per 36 minutes.

Beverley's TO rate last year was 11%, and his TOper36 was 1.4 compared to Lin's 3.1.

Oh, and he can't follow simple directions. Directions like, if you get the rebound up two points with seconds remaining on the clock dont try and dribble the ball out... We all remember that play.

His play was actually pretty smart, I mean if your literally wide fkin open you gotta take the layup and guarentee game. He just ****ed up and missed the easy wide open shot :confusedshrug:

Lebron23
07-27-2014, 11:14 PM
The guy is so inconsistent.

Heavincent
07-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Not top 15?
Not in order...

Rondo
Paul
Westbrook
Curry
Parker
Wall
DWill
Conley
Lowry
Lawson
Holiday
Teague
Dragic (don't consider Bledsoe a PG)
Thomas
Irving
Lillard

Then some question marks... MCW? Rose? Calderon?

I think 17-22 is fair for Lin.

Edit cuz I forgot Lillard.

Deron Williams and Lin are about even. Lin might be a little better.

And you forgot Livingston, who is better than both Williams and Lin.

UK2K
07-28-2014, 12:20 AM

His play was actually pretty smart, I mean if your literally wide fkin open you gotta take the layup and guarentee game. He just ****ed up and missed the easy wide open shot :confusedshrug:

That play was dumb too, especially since the Rockets were up 3 with 49 seconds and there was 17 seconds on the clock. Could have easily wasted 12 more seconds, scored or drew a foul, and essentially ended the game. Instead he got his shot tossed off the glass.

But I meant the turnover when Houston was up 2 in game 4 with 33 seconds on the game clock and 23 seconds on the shot clock, which Lin was specifically told to call timeout by Mchale during the break if we got a rebound, and he tried to dribble it out and got it stolen from behind. Watch the play, Lin was the only one who even thought they were still running an offense, the rest of the Rockets were standing around waiting for a TO to be called.

Basically, Lin almost blew game 3 and did blow game 4 with two stupid plays.

Cocaine80s
07-28-2014, 12:22 AM
Lin will blow up like Dragic this season.

fvck his fans tho

Smoke117
07-28-2014, 12:27 AM
I dunno about all this, but he definitely gets a lot of hate and mostly because of all the attention he did get on that Knicks team. There was a lot of overhype, but that wasn't really him. He can't be blamed for people proclaiming he was going to be some great player from a few months of basketball. He's shown that he's a capable player and even a starter on more than a few teams, so I don't see why people give him so much flack. It's hard pretty hard to be successful as a PG when your head coach has no confidence in you. Mchale never even gave him the key to the ignition. I reserve my opinion to see what he can do under someone who can actually coach. Frankly Byron Scott is in the bottom 3rd of NBA coaches in the NBA, but that is better than the worst coach, period.

KOBE143
07-28-2014, 01:07 AM
Kobe will make this scrub pg into a top 3 pg next season just like how Kobe made scrub Gasoft into one of the best pf in the league.. Book it!!

GimmeThat
07-28-2014, 01:37 AM
he's putting up close to his college numbers in the NBA.

he went from not being adjusted, to being adjusted.

Linsanity

oarabbus
07-28-2014, 01:39 AM
He's going to play very well this year and put up nice stats. I've seen this guy surprise people for nearly a decade now.

kshutts1
07-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Deron Williams and Lin are about even. Lin might be a little better.

And you forgot Livingston, who is better than both Williams and Lin.
I consider Livingston in the questionable category. But man... talking about Livingston as a top 20 pg years after his horrific injury... if only. If only.