PDA

View Full Version : I don't get Cleveland's strategy

ralph_i_el
07-30-2014, 09:32 PM
You have to take the field if you were betting on net years NBA championship. Why not keep Wiggins and just sign Love when he opts out after the season?

It's entirely possible, and Love has obviously shown he's willing to sign with the Cavs long term. The Cavs will contend for a spot in the finals without him next season, and if they keep all the valuable pieces they have now and get Love they could be historically stacked.

Idk, I'd like Love to stay out West but that's because I'm a Wizards fan and don't want the Cavs to get better. I'm a big Love fan and it would be a shame to have to root against him.

Also, how can NBA GMs make such awful decisions that are almost immediately known to be terrible?

Im so nba'd out
07-30-2014, 09:33 PM
It took a lot of effort to make this thread.
I think i can explain it to you
http://i.imgur.com/gvzQRxR.gif

RoundMoundOfReb
07-30-2014, 09:41 PM
they can't just sign him...and love is getting traded before the season starts...if not to cle then chicago or gs

ralph_i_el
07-30-2014, 09:42 PM
they can't just sign him...and love is getting traded before the season starts...if not to cle then chicago or gs

ok, so if they don't get him now they'll miss the opportunity. So it's all on Love and where he'll be willing to reisgn

RedBlackAttack
07-30-2014, 09:44 PM
You have to take the field if you were betting on net years NBA championship. Why not keep Wiggins and just sign Love when he opts out after the season?

It's entirely possible, and Love has obviously shown he's willing to sign with the Cavs long term. The Cavs will contend for a spot in the finals without him next season, and if they keep all the valuable pieces they have now and get Love they could be historically stacked.

Idk, I'd like Love to stay out West but that's because I'm a Wizards fan and don't want the Cavs to get better. I'm a big Love fan and it would be a shame to have to root against him.

Also, how can NBA GMs make such awful decisions that are almost immediately known to be terrible?

We won't have the cap space to sign him next offseason regardless of how much salary we unload. That's when Kyrie's max extension really starts going into action and LeBron is getting $20+ million a year. Toss in a new contract (presumably) for Dion Waiters and the other young pieces we choose to keep... Cap space is going to be severely limited from this point forward.

If they adopted your strategy, they'd have to find a way to do a S&T with Minnesota and I don't even think it would get to that point. Minnesota is going to find a suitor for Love between now and then, even if it is for a subpar package. If the Cavs really want Love and they think he's the short and longterm answer, they almost have to make a move.

And, I'm firmly in the camp that wanted to just keep Wiggins... but, Love is a 25-year-old beast... and this is probably the one chance to get him. There is no easy answer.

RedBlackAttack
07-30-2014, 09:47 PM
ok, so if they don't get him now they'll miss the opportunity. So it's all on Love and where he'll be willing to reisgn
If he goes to GSW or Chicago, I'd say chances are very high that he re-signs with them, regardless of what he may be saying now.

Again, the Cavs would not be able to afford him in the open market next offseason. It would have to be a S&T situation and that takes both Love pushing his way out of what is probably a good situation (in Chicago or GSW) for less money (they own his Bird rights) and a team who is willing to trade him to us.

It's a lot more complicated than it might seem.

Im so nba'd out
07-30-2014, 09:47 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tnPhK9f.gif

RoundMoundOfReb
07-30-2014, 09:48 PM
http://i.imgur.com/tnPhK9f.gif
:biggums:

ralph_i_el
07-30-2014, 09:54 PM
:biggums:

This dude has been obsessed with rep. He thinks posting .gifs will get him green :roll:

Real Men Wear Green
07-30-2014, 09:56 PM
James can opt out after a year. I'm not sure he's demanding the Love trade happen but with that opt-out he has let the Cavs know that if he doesn't think they're making the moves needed to win a ring he will leave.

Meanwhile Minnie doesn't want to be losing Love for nothing as an FA. So they are going to trade him. The team they trade him do does not want to be left with an unrestricted FA if they give up real assets so part of the deal will be Love signing an extension.

So Cleveland cannot bank on signing Love outright.

What does add a bit of mystery is Cleveland signing Wiggins, which means he can't be traded until August 23rd. If they had agreed to a deal with Minnie that included Wiggins that would be a bit confusing. So Cleveland may be the frontrunner but this isn't a done deal.

russwest0
07-30-2014, 09:56 PM
They are doing what LeBron has requested because they don't want LeBron to opt out after this year. It's that simple.

I think that nearly all of ISH thinks that Wiggins is absolutely more valuable than Love, especially on a rookie deal. But that's not what LeBron wants.

Im so nba'd out
07-30-2014, 09:57 PM
This dude has been obsessed with rep. He thinks posting .gifs will get him green :roll:
im already green and no i dont do this for rep i just give dumb answers to dumb threads.Your opinion is not any better than anyone else's go post this sht in the 100 other cav threads you don't need a thread for this

ralph_i_el
07-30-2014, 10:00 PM
im already green and no i dont do this for rep i just give dumb answers to dumb threads.Your opinion is not any better than anyone else's go post this sht in the 100 other cav threads you don't need a thread for this
:applause: I thought you promised you'd leave if we all told you how much you sucked

Im so nba'd out
07-30-2014, 10:02 PM
:applause: I thought you promised you'd leave if we all told you how much you sucked
http://upandhumming.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/alligator-tennis.gif

ralph_i_el
07-30-2014, 10:05 PM

If you don't like a thread stop bumping it. Otherwise you're just seeking attention.

RoundMoundOfReb
07-30-2014, 10:08 PM
http://i.imgur.com/1BrVwON.gif

russwest0
07-30-2014, 10:15 PM
Sam Presti has talked about this in an OKC press conference before. He's said that it's foolish to go all in on winning the championship in one single year when so many variables need to go into effect for that to happen.

He believes in giving his team the best chance to win it all each year for the longterm.

I guess the guys running the show in Cleveland just have a different philosophy :confusedshrug:

navy
07-30-2014, 10:17 PM
Sam Presti has talked about this in an OKC press conference before. He's said that it's foolish to go all in on winning the championship in one single year when so many variables need to go into effect for that to happen.

He believes in giving his team the best chance to win it all each year for the longterm.

I guess the guys running the show in Cleveland just have a different philosophy :confusedshrug:
Sam Presti wont be saying the same thing in 1 year when Durant is looking to bolt to DC.

russwest0
07-30-2014, 10:21 PM
Sam Presti wont be saying the same thing in 1 year when Durant is looking to bolt to DC.

Why would Durant bolt to DC in one year when he has two years left on his contract?

RedBlackAttack
07-31-2014, 01:51 AM
James can opt out after a year. I'm not sure he's demanding the Love trade happen but with that opt-out he has let the Cavs know that if he doesn't think they're making the moves needed to win a ring he will leave.

Meanwhile Minnie doesn't want to be losing Love for nothing as an FA. So they are going to trade him. The team they trade him do does not want to be left with an unrestricted FA if they give up real assets so part of the deal will be Love signing an extension.

So Cleveland cannot bank on signing Love outright.

What does add a bit of mystery is Cleveland signing Wiggins, which means he can't be traded until August 23rd. If they had agreed to a deal with Minnie that included Wiggins that would be a bit confusing. So Cleveland may be the frontrunner but this isn't a done deal.

Again, the Cavs will not be able to sign Love outright in free agency next year regardless. They simply will not have the cap room. It would have to be a S&T in that kind of scenario.

To address the bolded, signing Wiggins before trading him was the only way to trade him. It would have made far less sense to move him before he began counting against the cap. That would be more than $5 million the Cavs would have had to make up for with other salaries/players to make the money right.

Now, they can wait the 30 days, Wiggins will then have his $5+ million contract and they'll only have to find roughly $7 million in other contracts/players to make the money work. It's a cap thing.

navy
07-31-2014, 01:55 AM
Why would Durant bolt to DC in one year when he has two years left on his contract?
I said looking to Bolt in 1 year, which means Presti will make big moves in an attempt to keep him so that he wins a chip and stays after the next season. So after OKC fails again next year Presti is gonna change his tune.