PDA

View Full Version : Tip the cook, not the server

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 08:03 PM
Servers do jackshit and get more cash and whine about it. Cooks work their asses off and never get tips.

KyrieTheFuture
07-31-2014, 08:23 PM
Cooks also get paid a higher salary
Tips are usually split between staff members and not kept by the server (depends on the place)
Cooks don't interact with customers

russwest0
07-31-2014, 08:31 PM
Don't tip anyone.

It's such a stupid social norm that I constantly avoid. Haven't experienced any repercussions since and have saved tons of money in the process :confusedshrug:

If you're going to tip, why not tip everyone who ever services you? Waiters are no special...

robert de niro
07-31-2014, 08:38 PM
another tip thread, this gonna be good

DeuceWallaces
07-31-2014, 08:45 PM
Cooks get paid quite a bit and have no interaction with customers.

D-FENS
Don't tip anyone.

It's such a stupid social norm that I constantly avoid. Haven't experienced any repercussions since and have saved tons of money in the process :confusedshrug:

If you're going to tip, why not tip everyone who ever services you? Waiters are no special...

I agree. Why not tip the supermarket cashier? Your local cop? Give Durant a tip after a game? Tip your mom after dinner.

Nanners
at many restaurants the servers give a portion of their tips to the cooks, busboys and other staff.

DeuceWallaces
07-31-2014, 08:46 PM
Cooks do not get tipped out, just busboys, hosts, and bartenders.

Meticode
07-31-2014, 08:47 PM
I wish professions that didn't expect tipping would abolish tipping and just pay their damn workers a good wage for giving good customer service. Tipping perpetuates racism and sexism.

Draz
07-31-2014, 08:47 PM
I usually leave good tips. Especially if the service is good along with the food, but it does annoy me.

NoGunzJustSkillz
07-31-2014, 08:48 PM
at many restaurants the servers give a portion of their tips to the cooks, busboys and other staff.
i dont think they give the cook a cut.

Nanners
07-31-2014, 08:49 PM
Cooks do not get tipped out, just busboys, hosts, and bartenders.

at some restaurants the cooks do get tipped out. obviously this kind of thing varies from place to place

PHX_Phan
07-31-2014, 08:50 PM
Cooks make 100% of their wage from the restaurant whereas the server only makes 40% or less of their wage from the restaurant, and the rest from tips.

russwest0
07-31-2014, 08:50 PM
I wish professions that didn't expect tipping would abolish tipping and just pay their damn workers a good wage for giving good customer service. Tipping perpetuates racism and sexism.

they still by law get paid minimum wage regardless, which is no less nor more than the same people who help you at retail stores and in other similar customer service areas.

this whole "if you don't tip then they don't make any money" logic being passed around is such a crock of shit.

Meticode
07-31-2014, 08:52 PM
they still by law get paid minimum wage regardless, which is no less nor more than the same people who help you at retail stores and in other similar customer service areas.

this whole "if you don't tip then they don't make any money" logic being passed around is such a crock of shit.
I know, but I feel servers should get paid a little more than people in retail customer service. My wife works retail, I konw how it goes there. They're underpaid as well as far as that goes. But there are tons of jobs like this.

russwest0
07-31-2014, 08:53 PM
I know, but I feel servers should get paid a little more than people in retail customer service. My wife works retail, I konw how it goes there. They're underpaid as well as far as that goes. But there are tons of jobs like this.

I agree, and think that they are all underpaid. But selectively tipping just one group of the workers that are underpaid isn't going to solve shit, which is why I just save my money and don't tip anybody, waiters included.

KyrieTheFuture
07-31-2014, 08:54 PM

Except you're 100% wrong.

An employer with tipped employees is only responsible for $2.13 per hour of work, however that money + tips must equal minimum wage to be considered legal. So they make minimum wage afters tips, but keep pretending like you know what you're talking about. Learn the law before you quote it.

D-FENS
07-31-2014, 08:54 PM
I agree, and think that they are all underpaid. But selectively tipping just one group of the workers that are underpaid isn't going to solve shit.

I tip hot waitresses more than ug-mos. Is that ok?

russwest0
07-31-2014, 08:55 PM
Except you're 100% wrong.

An employer with tipped employees is only responsible for $2.13 per hour of work, however that money + tips must equal minimum wage to be considered legal. So they make minimum wage afters tips, but keep pretending like you know what you're talking about. Learn the law before you quote it.

I hope you are trolling and not actually this dumb.

russwest0
07-31-2014, 08:56 PM
I tip hot waitresses more than ug-mos. Is that ok?

If you like falling prey to manipulation, then sure, it's ok.

KyrieTheFuture
07-31-2014, 08:56 PM
I hope you are trolling and not actually this dumb.
I say this to myself everytime I see you post.

russwest0
07-31-2014, 08:57 PM
I say this to myself everytime I see you post.

If waiters don't make minimum wage in tips, their employer covers whatever is needed to make it minimum wage. This is federal law and if employers try to evade this they can and will get railed hard by the government.

So if nobody tipped at all, they'd still make minimum wage. So at WORST, waiters make minimum wage, and usually quite a bit more.

At BEST, retail employees usually make minimum wage and if they are lucky enough to get raises it's usually only something complete shit like 15 cents a year. Yet nobody tips retail employees, but god forbid you don't tip waiters and don't get called an asshole for it...

Fukking lol @ you having no knowledge of the law and telling me to "learn the law" though :lol

DeuceWallaces
07-31-2014, 09:00 PM
at some restaurants the cooks do get tipped out. obviously this kind of thing varies from place to place

That's extraordinarily rare/doesn't exist.

DeuceWallaces
07-31-2014, 09:01 PM
If waiters don't make minimum wage in tips, their employer covers whatever is needed to make it minimum wage. This is federal law and if employers try to evade this they can and will get railed hard by the government.

So if nobody tipped at all, they'd still make minimum wage. So at WORST, waiters make minimum wage, and usually quite a bit more.

At BEST, retail employees usually make minimum wage and if they are lucky enough to get raises it's usually only something complete shit like 15 cents a year. Yet nobody tips retail employees, but god forbid you don't tip waiters and don't get called an asshole for it...

Fukking lol @ you having no knowledge of the law and telling me to "learn the law" though :lol

It's not as simple as that.

christian1923
07-31-2014, 09:03 PM

Why you gotta be so cheap bruh, it's American culture. Just do it. It's only a couple bucks

russwest0
07-31-2014, 09:06 PM
Why you gotta be so cheap bruh, it's American culture. Just do it. It's only a couple bucks

So you only tip because it's "culture" and not because you truly care. Otherwise you would tip retail employees who help you as well.

I'm not going to just throw away money just to meet the criteria for a mindless social norm.

christian1923
07-31-2014, 09:07 PM
So you only tip because it's "culture" and not because you truly care. Otherwise you would tip retail employees who help you as well.

I'm not going to just throw away money just to meet the criteria for a mindless social norm.
Yeah that is the only reason I tip. I tip servers, bartenders, valets, delivery drivers, and the guy who hands me napkins at the club.

They make like 5 bucks an hour cause they expect to make tips. Retail workers make more

russwest0
07-31-2014, 09:10 PM
Yeah that is the only reason I tip. I tip servers, bartenders, valets, delivery drivers, and the guy who hands me napkins at the club.

They make like 5 bucks an hour cause they expect to make tips. Retail workers make more

:facepalm You cannot be this dumb

PHX_Phan
07-31-2014, 09:11 PM

You'd have an argument if people at retail stores were only paid half of their wage from their company and tipped the rest at sale. But, that's not how it works for retail employees.

It's also not even close to the same. A service staff at a restaurant requires far more employees per customer than a retail store.

Oh and by the way, when a restaurant has to pay out an employee because they didn't make minimum wage with tips, that money doesn't just pop out of thin air. If enough customers didn't tip and the restaurant had to pay out each server every night, they'd place a mandatory 15%+ service charge on your bill. I understand you're a kid and the concept of free money still exists, but at some point you're going to have to grow up and learn the real world.

Stempel, HERB
07-31-2014, 09:11 PM
I need to start storing my responses to these threads in a text file or something.

Right. 'cause it needs to be said in every one of these threads that your mom worked as a waitress, and that's why you tip well. I left out all the colorful memories you usually add for the emotional appeal. My bad.

christian1923
07-31-2014, 09:13 PM
:facepalm You cannot be this dumb
If you can't afford to go out just eat at home or get fast food. You being a jerk and not tipping isn't gonna change the system. You're just screwing over the server

Myth
07-31-2014, 09:14 PM
Just what we all needed: Life lessons from a high school Freshman.

russwest0
07-31-2014, 09:14 PM
You'd have an argument if people at retail stores were only paid half of their wage from their company and tipped the rest at sale. But, that's not how it works for retail employees.

It's also not even close to the same. A service staff at a restaurant requires far more employees per customer than a retail store.

Oh and by the way, when a restaurant has to pay out an employee because they didn't make minimum wage with tips, that money doesn't just pop out of thin air. If enough customers didn't tip and the restaurant had to pay out each server every night, they'd place a mandatory 15%+ service charge on your bill. I understand you're a kid and the concept of free money still exists, but at some point you're going to have to grow up and learn the real world.

So you end with a personal shot at me simply because I was right? :lol

Lol, ok. I'm sure resturaunts would be going out of business if nobody tipped. A 13 dollar charge for a cheeseburger just isn't a good enough margin for them to EVER make a profit without creating a mindless social norm that says waiters NEED (not true at all) tips.... :facepalm

KyleKong
07-31-2014, 09:26 PM
Jameer, are you retarded?

PHX_Phan
07-31-2014, 09:32 PM
So you end with a personal shot at me simply because I was right? :lol

Lol, ok. I'm sure resturaunts would be going out of business if nobody tipped. A 13 dollar charge for a cheeseburger just isn't a good enough margin for them to EVER make a profit without creating a mindless social norm that says waiters NEED (not true at all) tips.... :facepalm

Like I said, you still obviously believe in the concept of free money.

russwest0
07-31-2014, 09:32 PM
Like I said, you still obviously believe in the concept of free money.

Better than that blatant circular reasoning fallacy you used to justify tipping only waiters :confusedshrug:

oarabbus
07-31-2014, 09:55 PM
Just what we all needed: Life lessons from a high school Freshman.

:oldlol:

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 10:19 PM
Jameer, are you retarded?
I have training in Huntsville for my job. I do all the work for min. wage (as well as the dishwasher) if I'm slow I'm scolded by my boss. Bitch server counts out $60 IN TIPS. SHE MADE 1/3 OF MY SALARY IN A SHIFT. I was like what the ****. Me and the dishwasher do the work.

Droid101
07-31-2014, 10:24 PM
I have training in Huntsville for my job. I do all the work for min. wage (as well as the dishwasher) if I'm slow I'm scolded by my boss. Bitch server counts out $60 IN TIPS. SHE MADE 1/3 OF MY SALARY IN A SHIFT. I was like what the ****. Me and the dishwasher do the work.
So... get a job as a waiter?

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 10:25 PM
So... get a job as a waiter?
That isn't my decision
u are very dumb.

KyleKong
07-31-2014, 10:32 PM

What does that have to do with servers being payed less? Because your underpaid?

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 10:34 PM
What does that have to do with servers being payed less? Because your underpaid?
:facepalm
That means servers are overpaid.

KyleKong
07-31-2014, 10:37 PM
That means servers are overpaid.

You were complaining about how much you make compared to others.

So you should get the overpaid money, so you can be overpaid?

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 10:39 PM
You were complaining about how much you make compared to others.

So you should get the overpaid money, so you can be overpaid?
I wouldn't be overpaid. Since my job isn't carrying drinks and food to a table.

Droid101
07-31-2014, 10:41 PM
That isn't my decision
u are very dumb.
It's not your decision to gain the skills necessary to pursue a job you want?

Okay...

KyleKong
07-31-2014, 10:41 PM
I wouldn't be overpaid. Since my job isn't carrying drinks and food to a table.

That's all?

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 10:45 PM
It's not your decision to gain the skills necessary to pursue a job you want?

Okay...
"Gain the skills"
lol. stop.

Norcaliblunt
Tipping is such a libertarian voluntarist concept yet most conservatives are cheap assholes.

Jameerthefear
That's all?
Essentially, yes.

KyleKong
07-31-2014, 10:47 PM
Essentially, yes.

Oh wow, I have been doing more then my job requires this entire time.

Thanks for the enlightenment.

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 10:49 PM
One sec guys. Lemme work on my "carrying drinks to a table and smiling" skill.

KyleKong
07-31-2014, 10:50 PM

If you did that you wouldn't be bitching about not making money compared to your co-workers.

Apply yourself.

Norcaliblunt
07-31-2014, 10:52 PM

Lol. The ignorance is crazy. It's a service so you pay for it. If you don't want to, eat fast food. It's as simple as that. This is libertarian voluntarist freedom in full effect we are talking about.

Norcaliblunt
07-31-2014, 10:53 PM
Cooks can make bank and have a legit career.

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 10:55 PM
Alright. Now time to work on my "Bitch and moan about me making only $60 in a night for carrying drinks to a table" skill.

KyleKong
07-31-2014, 10:57 PM
Alright. Now time to work on my "Bitch and moan about me making only $60 in a night for carrying drinks to a table" skill.

I'd be pissed too. I usually walk out with over $100 on an average night.

All I do is give people food and drinks too.

Dresta
07-31-2014, 10:58 PM
Jameer you once again haven't got a clue. Waiting can be a rather stressful and hectic job, likewise being a chef. Washing dishes and polishing plates & cutlery on the other hand is not. I speak as someone who has done both. Carrying out trays with 7 or 8 dishes precariously balanced with stressed out chefs on your case isn't so easy as you make out. Also, there is usually no, or very little respite as a waiter at a busy establishment. I used to do charter service on a river-boat where we'd serve 150+ people 4 courses over the space of 2 hours with only 6-8 waiting staff, and it was non-stop.

Norcaliblunt
07-31-2014, 10:59 PM

Carrying a full tray of drinks, especially bar drinks, through a busy ass restaurant to a table can be difficult and demands way more skill than anything you'd do as a line cook. Lol.

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 11:00 PM
Jameer you once again haven't got a clue. Waiting can be a rather stressful and hectic job, likewise being a chef. Washing dishes and polishing plates & cutlery on the other hand is not. I speak as someone who has done both. Carrying out trays with 7 or 8 dishes precariously balanced with stressed out chefs on your case isn't so easy as you make out. Also, there is usually no, or very little respite as a waiter at a busy establishment. I used to do charter service on a river-boat where we'd serve 150+ people 4 courses over the space of 2 hours with only 6-8 waiting staff, and it was non-stop.
I'm not going to read all this. You better shorten this shit.

KyleKong
07-31-2014, 11:00 PM
Jameer is an ignorant dumbass.

Shortened.

IamRAMBO24
07-31-2014, 11:03 PM
Troll thread. OP is a fakkit.

Norcaliblunt
07-31-2014, 11:11 PM
Do you tip a librarian who finds a book for you? Or a Toys r us worker for using a ladder to get something off the top shelf? Or the game store employee for giving you a lengthy breakdown between two games? Or the guy who bags your groceries? Or the shoe store employee who goes into the back to find a specific sneaker for you?

Retail clerks can get screwed, but does that mean I'm should turn into a hater and not tip servers because of it? Do 2 wrongs make a right? Society has all sorts of double standards, one's way more ludicrous than this. Were you born yesterday? Better get used to it buddy. Lol.

Nanners
07-31-2014, 11:27 PM
That's extraordinarily rare/doesn't exist.

it might not be the norm but it certainly exists

MadeFromDust
07-31-2014, 11:29 PM
When the cook comes out and asks me how my meal was and refills my texas sweet tea, THEN I'll tip him. Otherwise, out of sight, out of mind pfft

Norcaliblunt
07-31-2014, 11:37 PM
You made the case that if you're provided with a service, you should pay for it. Lots of people provide you with a service and you don't tip them, nor are you expected to. Your argument is just inconsistent, whether I participate in the established protocol is irrelevant to the logical aspect of it.

But established protocol is everything, is it not? Lol. I mean all wages are established protocol, with inconsistencies. We can argue till the cows come about double standards. So you wanna know something else that's illogical? Wall Street pays no sales tax on their quadrillion dollars of turnover through high frequency flashing trading and speculation, yet every American has to pay a 6% to 12% on every purchase they make.

Norcaliblunt
07-31-2014, 11:50 PM
I just find it humorous that you seemed pretty staunch in insisting you should pay people who provide you with a service BUT ONLY IF SOCIETY DEEMS YOU SHOULD, FVCK THE REST OF 'EM.

You have to be pretty naive to think that everything you are doing is not because of some societal norm. So I ask once again, were you born yesterday?

Jameerthefear
07-31-2014, 11:50 PM
I just find it humorous that you seemed pretty staunch in insisting you should pay people who provide you with a service BUT ONLY IF SOCIETY DEEMS YOU SHOULD, FVCK THE REST OF 'EM.
THat's because guys like you and me are thinkers. We don't just follow rules. We're cool. We're different. We're smart.

Droid101
07-31-2014, 11:54 PM
But established protocol is everything, is it not? Lol. I mean all wages are established protocol, with inconsistencies. We can argue till the cows come about double standards. So you wanna know something else that's illogical? Wall Street pays no sales tax on their quadrillion dollars of turnover through high frequency flashing trading and speculation, yet every American has to pay a 6% to 12% on every purchase they make.
So vote Elizabeth Warren.

Norcaliblunt
07-31-2014, 11:55 PM
THat's because guys like you and me are thinkers. We don't just follow rules. We're cool. We're different. We're smart.

Delusion at it's finest. What you think you are enlightened because you can point out inconsistencies in the lower wage level of the economy? Lol.

CavaliersFTW
08-01-2014, 12:01 AM
Mind you, this was years ago and minimum wage for service jobs (or any job for that matter) was lower, but when I was a cook I got paid 12$ an hour, while the servers got $2.35 an hour. They need those tips.

KyleKong
08-01-2014, 12:03 AM
Mind you, this was years ago and minimum wage for service jobs (or any job for that matter) was lower, but when I was a cook I got paid 12$ an hour, while the servers got $2.35 an hour. They need those tips.

I love the "They get paid minimum wage by law" argument if no one tips at all.

I don't think anyone who has said this has had to support themselves and for that matter support other people.

Making minimum wage for a living is not good.

Fawker
08-01-2014, 12:18 AM
Cooks get more cash

PHX_Phan
08-01-2014, 02:29 AM

I don't know what's hard to understand about how tipping works. Either the restaurant charges you a service fee and you are not expected to tip the waiter, or they don't and you are expected to tip the waiter.

Retail (and pretty much any other profession) doesn't work that way. The price you pay covers everything, including the workers wage. When that retail guy starts working for $5 an hour and, as a result, my purchase is cheaper? I'll tip him. That's how tipping works. It's not some ulterior scheme by the restaurant to pay employees a shitty wage and make the customers foot the bill. Your meal WOULD COST MORE if that server wasn't working for less money.

Complain about it all you want, but that's the system and really, no one is getting screwed so long as people follow it. It's actually better for the customer since they can tip their waiter based on the service experience rather than be forced to pay a flat fee for that service and hope you get a good server.

And for the OP, I hope people realize how pathetic it is to not want to tip a server because they make more money than you. That is flat out hating. Even worse, you're hating on someone that doesn't even make that much to begin with. Do something better with your time, like improving your own income so you aren't jealous of someone who made a whole 60!! dollars in a day.

Lamar Doom
08-01-2014, 02:32 AM
Hahaha, Jameer is a total waste of time. Dumb, young, f*ck boy. Fluff those feathers Jammy.

Norcaliblunt
08-01-2014, 02:37 AM
Do you tip a librarian who finds a book for you? Or a Toys r us worker for using a ladder to get something off the top shelf? Or the game store employee for giving you a lengthy breakdown between two games? Or the guy who bags your groceries? Or the shoe store employee who goes into the back to find a specific sneaker for you?

And to answer this straight up.

Librarians are public workers with public benefits.

Toys Are Us peeps probably make commission off big sales, or I'm sure they have a bonus system, plus sometimes in very few instances they could get tipped walking something out to the car. It's not unheard off.

Dude who bags your groceries used to get tipped, still do on rare occurrences. Most the grocery stores are unionized so the get union benefits.

Shoe salesman Al Bundy makes commission straight up, that's his hustle incentive for the extra cash.

Gamer dude commission as well.

Do I think retail employees of big corporations get shafted? YES!!! Does that make me want to stop tipping my waitress? NO!!!! Makes wanna fight for my economic rights and the get other peeps get a better deal.

And btw obviously you have had no experience in the service industry if you think a server handling up to six tables, with parties of 4 plus, on a busy ass night, dealing with hungry, sometimes intoxicated people, about food in which everyone is picky, is comparable to gamer nerds slammed with shooting the shit about dumb ass video games. Lol.

GimmeThat
08-01-2014, 02:42 AM
I think that if the server does a profit sharing with the busboys/cooks that's a pretty good deal.

the biggest problem I may have with tipping the cook though, is quality control.

the food should always be consistent, while the service, must be flexible in order to account the wide variety of demographic.

Norcaliblunt
08-01-2014, 02:50 AM
I've heard all these arguments. Can someone post a link detailing how food costs would be appreciably more? And if the end result is that I'm paying the same amount anyway with increased food costs and no tip I'll take it. Gets rid of all the grey area and the implied threat and potential awkwardness if they perceive you didn't tip enough.

It would probably be 20% service charge most places, same as tipping. It's not rocket science. Lol.

PHX_Phan
08-01-2014, 03:29 AM
I've heard all these arguments. Can someone post a link detailing how food costs would be appreciably more? And if the end result is that I'm paying the same amount anyway with increased food costs and no tip I'll take it. Gets rid of all the grey area and the implied threat and potential awkwardness if they perceive you didn't tip enough.

Have you never eaten at an upscale restaurant before? Most of your high end dining places attach a mandatory 15%+ service fee and do not ask for tips. Some of them will not accept an additional gratuity, or at least instruct their employees not to.

A downside is the sticker shock that patrons sometimes suffer when browsing through menus that have tips factored into the prices.

"American customers tend to not think of the tip as an expense, and they don't really factor that into their assessment of how expensive a restaurant is," Lynn said.

"It makes a restaurant look more expensive than a restaurant that has 15 percent lower prices, but expects tips."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/05/05/restaurants-banning-tips_n_5266100.html

Norcaliblunt
08-01-2014, 03:38 AM
You guys always think that. Everytime someone doesn't agree with you or has a differing opinion on the issue, they have no experience, or they don't tip. Believe it or not, it's possible to work in a field and develop opinions that swim against the stream.

You're the one who said people who provide you with a service should get paid; if you don't actually believe that add a qualifier.

Lol. I just illustrated how they all do get compensated in different ways. God damn dude. Is each fair. No. But the market dictates that.

So you're still arguing the double standard issue. Lol.

If that's the case then I revert to my previous quote.

You have to be pretty naive to think that everything you are doing in life is not just because of some societal norm. So I ask once again, were you born yesterday?

If we nit pick you enough we'll find contradictions broski.

GimmeThat
08-01-2014, 03:45 AM
If we nit pick you enough we'll find contradictions broski.

that's a really good John Stewart episode.

Smoke117
08-01-2014, 03:54 AM
Jammer shut up, you weaboo douche.

DukeDelonte13
08-01-2014, 07:34 AM
Do who people who stiff servers think they are being "edgy" ? :oldlol:

SamuraiSWISH
08-01-2014, 12:40 PM
Blacks don't understand tipping. Not cultured enough. Just like when they order fine pieces of meat, and have the cooks char it until it's textured like leather.

Plus they're usually broke to make matters worse. Nigguh Rich term exists for a reason. All dat flash, no substance. This stereotype generally holds true in the service industry. It's rare to meet one who goes above, and beyond to counteract his stingy, cheap brethren.

OP is black, but is obsessed with Japanese culture. A true weirdo in my book.

boozehound
08-01-2014, 12:45 PM
Cooks also get paid a higher salary
Tips are usually split between staff members and not kept by the server (depends on the place)
Cooks don't interact with customers
this is all bullshit. yes, cooks get paid slightly better, but when you factor in tips its not even close. And, in my experience, tips are generally split between front of the house (hostesses, busboys, bartenders, servers) while the cooks and dishwashers get shit.

Lets look at it this way. One of my better cooking gigs I got paid $15/hour at a decently high end restaurant (I would say the entree costs were low 20s up to 50 or so). So, even I had the long shift that evening, I would make a smidge over $100. A server working the four hour dinner rush would easily clear $300-400 in tips, declare just enough to "earn" minimum wage and take the rest home that night, tax free.

Its a pretty ridiculous system. I would do all of the actual work, over a very hot line, preparing delectable dishes that the customers loved. The server would carry the food to them and make over 3 times as much money. Serving does have some personality interactions that require social skills, but whatever. Half those idiots had no idea how to organize themselves and send tickets in the right manner, would leave food in the window under the lamp so long that it had to be re-done and then would throw the cooks under the bus on why it was taking so long. **** servers.

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 12:58 PM
Pay your employees. It's not my job to purchase the food AND pay your workers. Do you want me to cook my food and wash my dishes too?

Pay your fcuking staff.

SamuraiSWISH
08-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Pay your employees. It's not my job to purchase the food AND pay your workers. Do you want me to cook my food and wash my dishes too?

Pay your fcuking staff.
They do pay the staff. But their basically independent contractors or salesman. They make less than minimum wage.

The server / bartenders skill, or level of rapport, or customer service on an individual basis per guest should dictate the true level or amount of money they're earning or receiving on a bill.

Don't be cheap. This is America, if you're not making enough money you're a douche bag. If you can't afford to tip between 18 - 22% you shouldn't be eating out, having someone wait on you or serve you to begin with.

There is no other issues than people not having enough money to actually dine out, or are flat out stingy. Go to McDonalds to eat if you don't like to tip on someone bringing you food tableside, drinks, etc.

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 01:09 PM
They do pay the staff. But their basically independent contractors or salesman. They make less than minimum wage.

The server / bartenders skill, or level of rapport, or customer service on an individual basis per guest should dictate the true level or amount of money they're earning or receiving on a bill.

Don't be cheap. This is America, if you're not making enough money you're a douche bag. If you can't afford to tip between 18 - 22% you shouldn't be eating out, having someone wait on you or serve you to begin with.

There is no other issues than people not having enough money to actually dine out, or are flat out stingy. Go to McDonalds to eat if you don't like to tip on someone bringing you food tableside, drinks, etc.
I'm a customer. I'm there to buy the product. The workers are not my concern. If you can't afford to pay your employees, your business deserves to fail. It's not my place to purchase your product AND subsidize your workers salary.

KyleKong
08-01-2014, 01:13 PM
I'm a customer. I'm there to buy the product. The workers are not my concern. If you can't afford to pay your employees, your business deserves to fail. It's not my place to purchase your product AND subsidize your workers salary.

Then go to a grocery store

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 01:14 PM
Then go to a grocery store
How about I'll do what I do and you concern yourself with what you do? :confusedshrug:

SamuraiSWISH
08-01-2014, 01:14 PM
I'm a customer. I'm there to buy the product.
No, you're getting the product (food) and the service (waiter / bartender)

Clearly you can't comprehend this ...

Are you coming in, ordering your food then walking to the back of a sweaty kitchen? Do you go behind the bar and mix your own cocktail as well?

You sound ignorant, or flat out salty because you're broke with expectations to tip for service being provided for you.

Do you tip the towel boys at car washes who wipe down your whip when it comes out the machine? That's a service, not a good.

KyleKong
08-01-2014, 01:15 PM
How about I'll do what I do and you concern yourself with what you do? :confusedshrug:

:(

Don't be like that Bo Bo

russwest0
08-01-2014, 01:16 PM
People are getting salty at NumberSix's comments but he's right.

There is nothing that says you have to tip other than social convention.

They make minimum wage or more regardless of what YOU do, so it doesn't really matter if you choose to tip or not.

SamuraiSWISH
08-01-2014, 01:19 PM

They make minimum wage or more regardless of what YOU do, so it doesn't really matter if you choose to tip or not.

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 01:20 PM
No, you're getting the product (food) and the service (waiter / bartender)

Clearly you can't comprehend this ...

Are you coming in, ordering your food then walking to the back of a sweaty kitchen? Do you go behind the bar and mix your own cocktail as well?

You sound ignorant, or flat out salty because you're broke with expectations to tip for service being provided for you.

Do you tip the towel boys at car washes who wipe down your whip when it comes out the machine? That's a service, not a good.
When you go to the grocery store, do you tip the girl who checks out your items? No, because it's her job to do that and her employers responsibility to pay her for that job.

If you can't pay someone to do a job, don't hire them to do that job.

riseagainst
08-01-2014, 01:23 PM
i'll give OP the tip.

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 01:23 PM

That's the problem. They DON'T make minimum wage because scumbags in this 1 single industry have lobbied to pass laws making it the only industry where you can pay less than minimum wage. Tipping only adds to these scumbags being able to get away with not paying their employees.

KyleKong
08-01-2014, 01:25 PM
When you go to the grocery store, do you tip the girl who checks out your items? No, because it's her job to do that and her employers responsibility to pay her for that job.

If you can't pay someone to do a job, don't hire them to do that job.

You do all the work grocery shopping.

russwest0
08-01-2014, 01:26 PM
That's the problem. They DON'T make minimum wage because scumbags in this 1 single industry have lobbied to pass laws making it the only industry where you can pay less than minimum wage. Tipping only adds to these scumbags being able to get away with not paying their employees.

Well by federal law if they don't make enough in tips then their employer is required to cover what's needed so that they make minimum wage.

So the lowest they will ever make is minimum wage. The problem isn't those "scumbags," but rather the people that keep tipping because they aren't educated enough on it to know that waiters DO make minimum wage.

SamuraiSWISH
When you go to the grocery store, do you tip the girl who checks out your items?
No, she just stands there and rings in items. She's not really providing me a service. She's ringing my items up to be paid for ... that isn't the same at all as serving or bartending.

You will acknowledge that right?

If she was pushing a cart around, getting all my groceries after I gave her instructions or a list? Putting in labor to accommodate me? The way a server / bartender does ... then yes, I'd tip her.

But with that said if I had a lot of bags I might to do for the bagger. What's a couple bucks for his effort?

boozehound

Point of fact, they dont make minimum wage. They are in a different category of work and their minimum wage is something like $2.50, though it varies by state.

boozehound
08-01-2014, 01:27 PM
Do I? I scan all my items? I bag all my groceries? I run the meat slicer at the deli counter? I weigh out my pork chops?

russwest0
08-01-2014, 01:28 PM

What if you want to buy something but can't find it on the floor so you ask a worker there to see if they can help and they go to the back and have to dig through a thousand boxes to find what you want.

russwest0
08-01-2014, 01:28 PM
Point of fact, they dont make minimum wage. They are in a different category of work and their minimum wage is something like $2.50, though it varies by state.

Their minimum pay is and always will be minimum wage by federal law. That 2.50 is usually all their employer has to pay however, because so many people tip.

boozehound
08-01-2014, 01:29 PM
No, she just stands there and rings in items. She's not really providing me a service. She's ringing my items up to be paid for ... that isn't the same at all as serving or bartending.

If she was pushing a cart around, getting all my groceries after I gave her instructions or a list? Putting in labor to accommodate me? The way a server / bartender does ... then yes, I'd tip her.

But with that said if I had a lot of bags I might to do for the bagger. What's a couple bucks for his effort?
**** all that. You tip the hostess (indirectly) and all she did was lead you to a ****ing table. A server could easily be replaced with an ipad at the table and a mentally disabled 12 year old to deliver the order.

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 01:30 PM

Well, I don't really know what goes into bartending because I don't drink.

As for the cashier, I'm pretty sure that's just as much effort as walking a plate and a glass from a kitchen to a table.

Anyways, if you're business doesn't do well enough that you can pay your employees, your business obviously isn't good enough to warrant it existing.

If you hire people to carry food from the kitchen to the table, fcuking pay them for it.

SamuraiSWISH
08-01-2014, 01:32 PM
**** all that. You tip the hostess (indirectly) and all she did was lead you to a ****ing table. A server could easily be replaced with an ipad at the table and a mentally disabled 12 year old to deliver the order.
So you go out to eat dinner, and don't tip? Applebees trying that ipad shit and they're promptly going out of business. They need servers. Even if it's to bring you your food, describe a dish ... UPSELLING to help make themselves, and the business more money. Ipad's can't do that/

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 01:32 PM
Do I? I scan all my items? I bag all my groceries? I run the meat slicer at the deli counter? I weigh out my pork chops?
The only difference is that people haven't been tricked into believing that it's the customer's responsibility to pay the grocery store employees.

Levity
08-01-2014, 01:33 PM
i usually walk into the kitchen after a meal to shake the cooks hand and slide him a 20, then spank the the waitress in her fat ass on the way out.

SamuraiSWISH
08-01-2014, 01:35 PM
i usually walk into the kitchen after a meal to shake the cooks hand and slide him a 20, then spank the the waitress in her fat ass on the way out.
WINNING haha

:pimp:

sammichoffate
08-01-2014, 01:39 PM
i usually walk into the kitchen after a meal to shake the cooks hand and slide him a 20, then spank the the waitress in her fat ass on the way out.That's a good man here, I tell ya h'wat :cheers:

Droid101
08-01-2014, 01:42 PM
I've never seen people want to scream out what huge scumbags they are before. lol

We get it, you're a cheap asshole who is probably very unpopular in the real world.

SamuraiSWISH
08-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I've never seen people want to scream out what huge scumbags they are before. lol

We get it, you're a cheap asshole who is probably very unpopular in the real world.
LOL repped soon.

russwest0
08-01-2014, 01:44 PM

Do you tip retail employees?

boozehound
08-01-2014, 01:45 PM
WINNING haha

:pimp:
so, his view is basically the same as the OP (tip the cook, not the server) but you applaud him because of how he goes about it? ridiculous.

boozehound
08-01-2014, 01:45 PM

so, everyone in europe is a scumbag, huh? Real open minded of you there.

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 01:50 PM

When is the last time you tipped a UPS delivery man or your dentist?

Droid101
08-01-2014, 01:50 PM
so, everyone in europe is a scumbag, huh? Real open minded of you there.
We're talking about Americans living in America here. Things are different in Europe.

If you don't want to tip so badly, go live there.

Droid101
08-01-2014, 01:51 PM
When is the last time you tipped a UPS delivery man or your dentist?
I tip my UPS guy at Christmas.

I don't tip my dentist because he gets paid directly through my insurance. Also, it's not really customary to do so. It is extremely customary to tip your server, bellhop, valet, delivery person, etc.

If you want to look like an asshole, be my guest. I won't stop you.

Droid101
08-01-2014, 01:54 PM
Obligatory. This article is great. A fun read and also lets you know if you're supposed to tip or not at various venues.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/04/everything-dont-know-tipping.html

Tipping is not about generosity. Tipping isn’t about gratitude for good service. And tipping certainly isn’t about doing what’s right and fair for your fellow man.

Tipping is about making sure you don’t mess up what you’re supposed to do.

http://waitbutwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TABLE-final-3.png

http://waitbutwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Demographic-chart1.png

SamuraiSWISH
08-01-2014, 01:56 PM
so, his view is basically the same as the OP (tip the cook, not the server) but you applaud him because of how he goes about it? ridiculous.
Umm what he said was funny. Do you just really enjoy arguing, being an irritated prick or something? Cause that's how you're coming across. Why so serious?

russwest0
08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
I tip my UPS guy at Christmas.

I don't tip my dentist because he gets paid directly through my insurance. Also, it's not really customary to do so. It is extremely customary to tip your server, bellhop, valet, delivery person, etc.

If you want to look like an asshole, be my guest. I won't stop you.

lol UPS drivers get paid well why would you tip them?

christian1923
08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
If you don't tip your barber then kill yourself

Droid101
08-01-2014, 02:05 PM
Other noteworthy parts of the article:

Their salary matters. It might not make sense that in the US, we’ve somewhat arbitrarily deemed certain professions as “tipped professions” whereby the customers are in charge of paying the professional’s salary, instead of their employer—but that’s the way it is. And as such, you have some real responsibility when being served by a tipped professional that you don’t have when being served by someone else.

It’s nice to give a coffee barista a tip, but you’re not a horrible person if you don’t because at least they’re getting paid without you. Waiters and bartenders, on the other hand, receive somewhere between $2 and $5/hour (usually closer to $2), and this part of their check usually goes entirely to taxes. Your tips are literally their only income. They also have to “tip out” the other staff, so when you tip a waiter you’re also tipping the busboy, bartender, and others. For these reasons, it’s never acceptable to tip under 15%, even if you hate the service. The way to handle terrible service is to complain to the manager like you would in a non-tipping situation—you’re not allowed to stiff on the tip and make them work for free.

Droid101
08-01-2014, 02:08 PM
7) Some notes about other tipping professions I didn’t mention above:

Apparently no one tips flight attendants, and if you do, you’ll probably receive free drinks thereafter.
Golf caddies say that golfers tip better when they play better, but they always tip the best when it’s happening in front of clients.
Tattoo artists expect $10-20 on a $100 job and $40-60 on a $400 job, but they get nothing from 30% of people.
A massage therapist expects a $15-20 tip and receives one 95% of the time—about half of a massage therapist’s income is tips.
A whitewater rafting guide said he always got the best tips after a raft flipped over or something happened where people felt in danger.
Strippers not only usually receive no salary, they often receive a negative salary—i.e. they need to pay the club a fee in order to work there.

Droid101
08-01-2014, 02:10 PM
11) Celebrities should tip well, because the person they tip will tell everyone they know about it forever, and everyone they tell will tell everyone they know about it forever.

For example: A friend of mine served Arnold Schwarzenegger and his family at a fancy lunch place in Santa Monica called Cafe Montana. Since he was the governor, they comped him the meal. And he left a $5 bill as the tip. I’ve told that story to a lot of people.

Celebrities known to tip well (these are the names that come up again and again in articles about this): Johnny Depp, Charles Barkley, David Letterman, Bill Murray, Charlie Sheen, Drew Barrymore
Celebrities known to tip badly: Tiger Woods, Mariah Carey, LeBron James, Heidi Klum, Bill Cosby, Madonna, Barbara Streisand, Rachael Ray, Sean Penn, Usher

boozehound
08-01-2014, 02:12 PM
lol UPS drivers get paid well why would you tip them?
they make a great living. Shit, I knew a guy who left his job as a nuclear engineer (burnt out) and made just about the same as a delivery driver. tipping them is completely unnecessary. They werent even on his list.

Also, the whole point of it being a tip (and not a service charge) is that it is up to you to decide what its worth. If you feel that the service is terrible, you are perfectly entitled to leave no tip or an insultingly small tip. I do agree that complaining to the management is a much more effective strategy.

NumberSix
[QUOTE=Droid101]Other noteworthy parts of the article:

Their salary matters. It might not make sense that in the US, we

christian1923
11) Celebrities should tip well, because the person they tip will tell everyone they know about it forever, and everyone they tell will tell everyone they know about it forever.

For example: A friend of mine served Arnold Schwarzenegger and his family at a fancy lunch place in Santa Monica called Cafe Montana. Since he was the governor, they comped him the meal. And he left a $5 bill as the tip. I’ve told that story to a lot of people.

Celebrities known to tip well (these are the names that come up again and again in articles about this): Johnny Depp, Charles Barkley, David Letterman, Bill Murray, Charlie Sheen, Drew Barrymore
Celebrities known to tip badly: Tiger Woods, Mariah Carey, LeBron James, Heidi Klum, Bill Cosby, Madonna, Barbara Streisand, Rachael Ray, Sean Penn, Usher
Add that phagg from Entourage Jeremy p to the tip badly

boozehound
Umm what he said was funny. Do you just really enjoy arguing, being an irritated prick or something? Cause that's how you're coming across. Why so serious?
wait. You are the one getting bent out of shape over other people not tipping and Im the irritated prick? ok

boozehound
08-01-2014, 02:16 PM
7) Some notes about other tipping professions I didn’t mention above:

Apparently no one tips flight attendants, and if you do, you’ll probably receive free drinks thereafter.
Golf caddies say that golfers tip better when they play better, but they always tip the best when it’s happening in front of clients.
Tattoo artists expect $10-20 on a $100 job and $40-60 on a $400 job, but they get nothing from 30% of people.
A massage therapist expects a $15-20 tip and receives one 95% of the time—about half of a massage therapist’s income is tips.
A whitewater rafting guide said he always got the best tips after a raft flipped over or something happened where people felt in danger.
Strippers not only usually receive no salary, they often receive a negative salary—i.e. they need to pay the club a fee in order to work there.
I have trouble believing that about massage therapists. Most of the ones I know charge $50-$200 per hour. Now, most of the ones I know work for themselves or are partners or whatever.

It is definitely true that most hair stylists working for other people get paid like shit.

gts
08-01-2014, 02:17 PM
so, his view is basically the same as the OP (tip the cook, not the server) but you applaud him because of how he goes about it? ridiculous.ermmm Levity was making a joke...

boozehound
08-01-2014, 02:17 PM
Obligatory. This article is great. A fun read and also lets you know if you're supposed to tip or not at various venues.

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/04/everything-dont-know-tipping.html

Tipping is not about generosity. Tipping isn’t about gratitude for good service. And tipping certainly isn’t about doing what’s right and fair for your fellow man.

Tipping is about making sure you don’t mess up what you’re supposed to do.

http://waitbutwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/TABLE-final-3.png

http://waitbutwhy.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/Demographic-chart1.png
Also, the idea that someone gets a $1 for pouring a draft beer or opening a beer bottle is just ridiculous.

same with a bellman. It took you ~5 minutes to carry my three bags to my room and Droid expects me to tip you $15 for that? **** all that.

boozehound
08-01-2014, 02:20 PM
ermmm Levity was making a joke...
and? His point was still the same as the OPs, though clearly worded in a funnier way. I have actually done just what he says he does (without the ass smack) and it is well appreciated it.

Again, his point was identical to the OP (the back of house is the hard work, the front of house is where the staff makes money). Samurai has been so indignant to the idea that other people have different tipping views than him that it seemed incongruous that he would applaud the post by Levity.

andgar923
08-01-2014, 02:24 PM
Not this shit again:facepalm

Cheap/selfish mofos.

Those that refuse to tip are probably the same that always complain about service, the pickiest when it comes to their food.

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 02:28 PM
Not this shit again:facepalm

Cheap/selfish mofos.

Those that refuse to tip are probably the same that always complain about service, the pickiest when it comes to their food.
My problem with tips is the practice of employers not paying their employees.

I know you "you gotta tip" guys THINK you're on the "be a nice guy" side, but what you're really doing is defending the business practice of cheapskate scumbags refusing to pay their workers so they can cut every penny of cost they can.

NuggetsFan
08-01-2014, 02:30 PM
I don't tip/awful tipper. Probably my biggest "douche" move and have had countless discussions with people in real life. Even been called out for it when I drank at a bar all night and never so much as tipped my brothers buddy. People mostly laugh tho.

Not my fault that's where you work. If you don't want to rely on tips than get another job. I go into places to eat, drink etc. I don't ask for above average service or anything. I mean in my experience the pretty girls are the ones who everybody REALLY tips for. I know girls who have worked as a server and go in with the sole intention of getting after your wallet :confusedshrug:

I've never complained about the service really ever tho. I see a server just as another regular 'ol job. Some people will slack off and I might be one those people who get that kinda service.

NuggetsFan
08-01-2014, 02:31 PM

This is another thing. Say a mental bomb goes off across the world and nobody ever tips again and it's removed from our brains. Alot of those pretty girls probably aren't working there and take another job. Maybe the employer is forced to pay more money per hour to get people to work in busy places?

andgar923
08-01-2014, 02:34 PM

I know you "you gotta tip" guys THINK you're on the "be a nice guy" side, but what you're really doing is defending the business practice of cheapskate scumbags refusing to pay their workers so they can cut every penny of cost they can.

I call bullshit.

If you really cared you'd completely boycott all services that usually require a tip.

SMH @ trying to disguise your selfish/cheap behavior by trying to act all holy and shit.

I tip and I tip well. Specially if I go back.

They always take care of me at restaurants, specially bartenders (when I used to drink) bartenders will hook you the f*ck up.

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 02:42 PM
I call bullshit.

If you really cared you'd completely boycott all services that usually require a tip.

SMH @ trying to disguise your selfish/cheap behavior by trying to act all holy and shit.

I tip and I tip well. Specially if I go back.

They always take care of me at restaurants, specially bartenders (when I used to drink) bartenders will hook you the f*ck up.
I'm not trying to disguise anything. I'm more than happy to have unpopular views/positions. I also am generally a selfish and self centered person. It doesn't bother me for other people to know that.

Also, I actually can't remember the last time I ate at a restaurant with waiters. I'm more of a order fish n chips or Lahm bi ajeen at the counter kind of guy for restaurants and I generally like cooking my own food at home.

NuggetsFan
08-01-2014, 02:46 PM
. Specially if I go back.

I think EVERYBODY tips if you go to a place alot. I've heard awful shit about people fcking with somebody's food if they don't tip. You'd have be a moron to go to the same place like 3x in one week and not tip. Which I mean is another problem.

Secondly that's maybe why I'm a shitty tipper. I don't care about being "took care of" just bring me my food. Like I said I can wait a reasonable amount of time, a mistake or two won't make me rage. Most annoying part is when they try to be your friend/go over the top. I'm more likely to tip somebody who just does there job. I don't go to places to be "hooked up".

I wouldn't be upset if I was a server and wasn't tipped.

andgar923
08-01-2014, 02:47 PM
I don't own a restaurant nor have I worked in one, but I have worked retail for 6 years now and perhaps I can offer some insight.

Why don't restaurant owners pay their servers more?

As a form of incentive.

Why do they need incentive and not just get a wage?

Because they represent your business and you want them to work their hardest, best way for them to do so is by making them care about their performance.

That's the difference between a commissioned retail sales associate in say Macy's and some dude that just rings up shit at the register.

The dude standing at the register ringing shit up and folding clothes will more than likely give less shit about his service. No matter how much Macy's tries to train and embed into their souls that customer service is essential, he/she may not be as motivated to do so.

But the commissioned sales associate will bust their ass in providing a customer the best experience possible, because the incentive is there. A commissioned sales associate also has to go the extra mile in making sure the customer's needs are being met. So that's why a commissioned sales associate gets paid more.

For those of you that have never worked in a public setting you'll never understand what it's like to deal with people. I've worked in multiple job settings and working in a public service environment is a challenge. Dealing with people face to face is very taxing on you and your patience. So you need an incentive to motivate an employee. You can't take days off and sort of wing it, like most people in other jobs do.

Some people either never had a job or don't want to understand.

andgar923
08-01-2014, 02:51 PM
I think EVERYBODY tips if you go to a place alot. I've heard awful shit about people fcking with somebody's food if they don't tip. You'd have be a moron to go to the same place like 3x in one week and not tip. Which I mean is another problem.

Secondly that's maybe why I'm a shitty tipper. I don't care about being "took care of" just bring me my food. Like I said I can wait a reasonable amount of time, a mistake or two won't make me rage. Most annoying part is when they try to be your friend/go over the top. I'm more likely to tip somebody who just does there job. I don't go to places to be "hooked up".

I wouldn't be upset if I was a server and wasn't tipped.

I don't tip solely for the purpose of being "hooked up" (well... only at bars/clubs). Im not picky at all either, nor do I mind waiting for my food. Im generally a very calm and have a high tolerance for mistakes, we all make them I won't crucify a server for making one, specially on a busy day.

I simply tip because I know it's the socially polite thing to do. I understand the dynamics of what they go through from my experiences as a retail worker and from friends that were servers.

It's not gonna kill me to give a tip. If I go out to eat it's because I can afford it.

gts
08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
I don't tip solely for the purpose of being "hooked up" (well... only at bars/clubs). Im not picky at all either, nor do I mind waiting for my food. Im generally a very calm and have a high tolerance for mistakes, we all make them I won't crucify a server for making one, specially on a busy day.

I simply tip because I know it's the socially polite thing to do. I understand the dynamics of what they go through from my experiences as a retail worker and from friends that were servers.

It's not gonna kill me to give a tip. If I go out to eat it's because I can afford it.

I tip anywhere from 10% to 20% if everything was dynamite I go 20% 15% if it was so so and 10% if it was poor...

having had a sister who worked tables while in school I know not all poor service is on the head of the person waiting on you... obviously there's been a few times where the waiter was clearly an asshole and didn't getting a penny extra

honest question for those that say employers should pay better wages so you don't have to tip... are you willing to have your meal cost twice as much to cover the increased costs to the business because if they have to pay the employee 3 to four times as much the price of your meal is going to go up considerably

boozehound
08-01-2014, 03:00 PM
I don't own a restaurant nor have I worked in one, but I have worked retail for 6 years now and perhaps I can offer some insight.

Why don't restaurant owners pay their servers more?

As a form of incentive.

Why do they need incentive and not just get a wage?

Because they represent your business and you want them to work their hardest, best way for them to do so is by making them care about their performance.

That's the difference between a commissioned retail sales associate in say Macy's and some dude that just rings up shit at the register.

The dude standing at the register ringing shit up and folding clothes will more than likely give less shit about his service. No matter how much Macy's tries to train and embed into their souls that customer service is essential, he/she may not be as motivated to do so.

But the commissioned sales associate will bust their ass in providing a customer the best experience possible, because the incentive is there. A commissioned sales associate also has to go the extra mile in making sure the customer's needs are being met. So that's why a commissioned sales associate gets paid more.

For those of you that have never worked in a public setting you'll never understand what it's like to deal with people. I've worked in multiple job settings and working in a public service environment is a challenge. Dealing with people face to face is very taxing on you and your patience. So you need an incentive to motivate an employee. You can't take days off and sort of wing it, like most people in other jobs do.

Some people either never had a job or don't want to understand.
I would say that there is a major difference between commissioned sales and service tips. With a server, the sale has already been made. No one comes into a restaurant to browse.

Also, the problem has become that even the shittiest, lousiest servers expect a 20% tip and you are a cheap ass if you dont meet that. that is utter bullshit.

FTR, having worked in the restaurant industry I do tip and generally well. But blase service doesnt cut it.

NuggetsFan
08-01-2014, 03:00 PM

Most people know a retail worker or somebody who has worked retail at some point. Which is somewhat the problem for me I think because you here there mindset/stories which from the customer POV isn't always the best. I realize there daily struggles. That's not on me tho. I've can say I've NEVER been a dick to somebody in that industry. It's not my personality to get pissy with a stranger who's working with the public. I'm always polite/nice and don't give anybody a hard time. I don't have high expectations for service when I eat/try to get a drink etc. and usually go in knowing there's a good chance somebody will slack off.

It's not going to kill me to give a tip, which is why I've obviously tipped before. Like I said somebody who gives me good service, seems nice, doesn't go over the top and try getting into my wallet I'm more likely to tip if it's a large enough order.

boozehound
08-01-2014, 03:01 PM
I tip anywhere from 10% to 20% if everything was dynamite I go 20% 15% if it was so so and 10% if it was poor...

having had a sister who worked tables while in school I know not all poor service is on the head of the person waiting on you... obviously there's been a few times where the waiter was clearly an asshole and didn't getting a penny extra

honest question for those that say employers should pay better wages so you don't have to tip... are you willing to have your meal cost twice as much to cover the increased costs to the business because if they have to pay the employee 3 to four times as much the price of your meal is going to go up considerably
no its not. Just look at the metrics from Seattle and other places that have done localized minimum wage or server wage laws.

NuggetsFan
08-01-2014, 03:04 PM

I'd be game for meal price going up. Some servers would still get the shaft because there's people out there who make a killllllling from tips tho. Some attractive chicks rake in the dough and probably would get another job if tipping was removed entirely.

I have no problem paying for the product. I have a problem paying extra to somebody else just to do there job and because other people that aren't me are assholes. I don't like being responsible for the strangers that make there jobs shitty.

andgar923
08-01-2014, 03:06 PM

this

andgar923
08-01-2014, 03:09 PM
I would say that there is a major difference between commissioned sales and service tips. With a server, the sale has already been made. No one comes into a restaurant to browse.

Also, the problem has become that even the shittiest, lousiest servers expect a 20% tip and you are a cheap ass if you dont meet that. that is utter bullshit.

FTR, having worked in the restaurant industry I do tip and generally well. But blase service doesnt cut it.

good points.

But the customer service experience may dictate whether or not a person comes back.

Restaurant reviews are skewed on service, and many people will either come or not come back depending on the service they received regardless of the food's quality (of course within reason).

NumberSix
08-01-2014, 03:27 PM

No.

Such a dumb argument. They pay waiters pennies so that the higher ups can stuff their own pockets. Pay employees are fair market value wage and sell your product for a fair market value price. If paying your employees a fair wage mean the employer makes less money, oh well. The employer will make what he earns. The idea that in order for the owner to make more than he has earned, the customers have to pay the workers salary is ridiculous.

We all get that if you don't pay your employees, you get more money. That's why slavery works so well. I'm not interested in paying your workers' salary so you can keep the money you should be paying them.

Also, business will be better if there are lower costs. No tips = lower costs.

andgar923
08-01-2014, 03:33 PM
But by raising the prices we're back to square one.

Some servers will not put as much effort in their service, it's just human nature. It isn't a job that's desirable, it's usually one of the last options for many people (just like retail).

So people should please spare the "if they don't like it they should get another job" bullshit.

Droid101
08-01-2014, 03:36 PM
You can't change society by not tipping. That won't change the way tipped professions work. It just won't.

This is how our society is now. Just do what you're supposed to do.

gts
08-01-2014, 03:41 PM
no its not. Just look at the metrics from Seattle and other places that have done localized minimum wage or server wage laws.
interesting... links?

NuggetsFan
08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
But by raising the prices we're back to square one.

Some servers will not put as much effort in their service, it's just human nature. It isn't a job that's desirable, it's usually one of the last options for many people (just like retail).

So people should please spare the "if they don't like it they should get another job" bullshit.

Tons of people seek out serving jobs at attractive locations soley because of the tips. Yeah I'm sure the jobs in shitty locations, at shitty restaurants aren't seeked out and nothing more than a bad job that most of us are forced to do at one point in our lives. I'd say serving at above average places are pretty desirable for attractive women/sociable people.

Retail is just retail. If you can put up with people it's just another job. Most people have either done it or know somebody who's done it.

I'd say more of a last option kinda job in that industry would be a dishwasher. Of course there would be less effort if people knew they wouldn't be getting tipped, there'd also be less appeal to work there. It's still a job? If somebody is noticeable working shitty the employer can always terminate them. Never a shortage of people looking for work. Not like people don't dog it now with tips, working hard/lazy worker happens regardless. Some people are, some people aren't.

boozehound
08-01-2014, 03:49 PM
http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/07/19/332879409/states-that-raised-minimum-wage-see-faster-job-growth-report-says

Stempel, HERB
08-02-2014, 01:19 AM

Worst post in the thread. You're a piece of shit who uses the tip as means to lord over service workers. LMAO @ you pick and choose based on who you like and can't see what is wrong with that. Passive aggressive much?

PHX_Phan
08-02-2014, 01:25 AM
No.

Such a dumb argument. They pay waiters pennies so that the higher ups can stuff their own pockets. Pay employees are fair market value wage and sell your product for a fair market value price. If paying your employees a fair wage mean the employer makes less money, oh well. The employer will make what he earns. The idea that in order for the owner to make more than he has earned, the customers have to pay the workers salary is ridiculous.

We all get that if you don't pay your employees, you get more money. That's why slavery works so well. I'm not interested in paying your workers' salary so you can keep the money you should be paying them.

Also, business will be better if there are lower costs. No tips = lower costs.

Search up all of the restaurants that have already given up the tip system and show me how many didn't raise their prices in turn. I already linked one example in this thread.

I'd prefer it that way. Flat 20% tip on every order because they paid up front in a higher cost for their meal? Every server/driver/bartender would like that.

russwest0
08-02-2014, 02:24 AM
[QUOTE=Droid101][B]7) Some notes about other tipping professions I didn

PHX_Phan
08-02-2014, 02:31 AM
I'm fine with that as well as it removes the grey area and ambiguity, and occasional awkwardness of tipping(like when you're about to leave, and the waiter comes over to say bye but you catch him scoping the tip, or when they personally take you to the register and become visibly disappointed that you only left 15% - I think this happens because they're always secretly hoping for a monster tip, especially if you're friendly and one of their more fun customers that day).

That article you linked is different than what people usually imply with the "food costs will go up" argument though. You're still paying roughly the same amount, they're just hiding the service charge/tip.

Assuming you were going to tip about 20%, then yes it would cost about the same. I'm saying the billed cost would increase and there would be no option to withhold a tip, you'd just pay the extra cost in your bill.

And I've never felt awkward when it came to leaving a tip. I generally leave no less than 20%, and if they felt that wasn't enough then **** them. But, I've never met a server who got mad over a customary tip. I've never even met any that dwell over a stiff.

As far as ****ing with people's food, I understand why it can happen and it has nothing to do with tips. Some people are downright pieces of shit and **** with servers (and most other customer service people) because they know that person has to hold back or they'll lose their job. I've seen people do shit to servers that would get their jaw busted if it were outside of a work setting. Then turn around and stiff them.

When you **** with people like that, expect them to **** with you back. That goes well beyond the food industry and applies to pretty much anything in life.

Swaggin916
08-02-2014, 03:15 AM
Don't tip anyone.

Damn man you are one of those guys who would have people work for free if you could.

BurningHammer
08-02-2014, 09:17 AM
Damn man you are one of those guys who would have people work for free if you could.
You know that he posted that to get your reaction, just like the OP, right?

kentatm
08-03-2014, 12:24 AM
Don't tip anyone.

are you Joyner?

you still be drawing Paris for presents ya cheap ass?

gts
08-03-2014, 12:48 AM
Worst post in the thread. You're a piece of shit who uses the tip as means to lord over service workers. LMAO @ you pick and choose based on who you like and can't see what is wrong with that. Passive aggressive much?
:rolleyes: says the guy who had to log onto his gimmick account to act like a dickhead

BrownEye007
08-03-2014, 05:22 AM
Don't tip anyone.

You also haven't experienced putting your ***** in a woman's ******. I assume this is because they can sense what a cheap piece of shit you are. But hey who needs *****, especially when you can just spend all day on ish, essentially free of charge? (Not like your paying any bills)
:confusedshrug:

notbrucewayne
08-03-2014, 05:47 PM
there should be some kind of jar to throw a couple bucks in on the way out if you feel like the cook deserved a tip

russwest0
08-03-2014, 07:06 PM
Don't pay extra to tip employees already getting paid at worst minimum wage

= YOU ASSHOLE! HOW DARE YOU!!!

Corporations only pay their employees 2.50 an hour expecting YOU, the customer to pay the rest

= No problems whatsoever.

Ya'll are such loyal soldiers for our consumerist society, it's ridiculous

BigBoss
08-03-2014, 07:29 PM
Tip the cook, finger the server

NumberSix
08-03-2014, 09:09 PM
Tip the cook. Shaft the server.