PDA

View Full Version : Who are the Greatest Third Options in NBA History?

Fudge
08-01-2014, 12:29 AM
James Worthy
Chris Bosh
Kevin McHale
Tony Parker/Gino?
Dennis Rodman
Big Ben?

Just to name a few

How would you rank them? Who's the greatest?

SouBeachTalents
08-01-2014, 12:38 AM
Worthy
Parish
Ginobili
Allen
Bosh
Rodman
Toney
DeBusschere
Laimbeer
Heinsohn

GODbe
08-01-2014, 12:39 AM
If we're talking stat-wise then:
2011 LeBald

Although, if you factor in impact he's probably the worst ever.

GODbe
08-01-2014, 12:39 AM
2011 LeBald

Fudge
08-01-2014, 12:40 AM
2011 LeBald

lol

J Shuttlesworth
08-01-2014, 12:46 AM
2011 LeBald

:lol :roll: Won't lie. Sometimes this GODbe dude cracks me up. Definitely a better troll than 9er/kenneth :bowdown:

iDunkOreo
08-01-2014, 12:53 AM
:lol :roll: Won't lie. Sometimes this GODbe dude cracks me up. Definitely a better troll than 9er/kenneth :bowdown:
Do the jokes ever get old to you? It's been the same thing for years now: Lebron folded, hard, in 2011. We get it.

Sarcastic
08-01-2014, 12:59 AM
Dennis Rodman was a third option?

:biggums:

J Shuttlesworth
08-01-2014, 01:03 AM
Do the jokes ever get old to you? It's been the same thing for years now: Lebron folded, hard, in 2011. We get it.
I'm a lebron stan but I have a sense of humor. GODbe has his shtick, and is unapologetic about it :applause:

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2014, 01:04 AM
Well, this may be of interest, even though it's slightly different from what you're asking, but I put together a list of who were, in my opinion, the best 3rd options on championship teams the last 20 seasons.

1.2012 Bosh
2.2007 Manu
3.2013 Bosh
4.2004 Sheed
5.2008 Ray Allen
6.2014 Manu
7.2009 Odom
8.1998 Kukoc
9.1996 Kukoc
10.1999 Avery Johnson

Of course, you didn't exclusively ask for championship teams or the last 20 years, so I'll add to that.

Andrew Toney was obviously a great one in '83 and '84, same with James Worthy from '84-'86, McHale in '84, Dennis Johnson in '86, Norm Nixon in the early 80's, particularly '82, same with Jamaal Wilkes, particularly in '80. Horace Grant in 1992, and Wilt seemed to be the Lakers 3rd option in '69 behind West and Baylor, which was a point of contention between Wilt and Butcha Van Breda Kolff. Of course, there was also Bob Dandridge for the '71 Bucks title team behind Kareem and Oscar.

Most of those guys won titles, so expanding it there's Steve Nash/Michael Finley on the Mavs in 2002 and 2003. Finley being more the 2nd scoring option, but Nash being more important to the offense with Dirk obviously the man. Then there's Barkley and/or Drexler on the '97 Rockets. Difficult to say who was really the 2nd or 3rd option, though. Mike Bibby was pretty damn good for the 2002 Kings as well. Hell, the 2000 Blazers barely had a true first option between Sheed, Pippen, Steve Smith, Sabonis and Damon Stoudamire, though I'd say Sheed in the post(where he was pretty damn tough back then) was the first option, but pretty much take your pick after that. Then there's the Run TMC Warriors of '91 with Hardaway, Richmond and Mullin, who shared a pretty equal offensive load, but if you count one as the 3rd option, then there you go. Sam Cassell on the early 00's Bucks with Jesus and Big Dog. Detlef Schrempf on the Sonics with Payton and Kemp is another.

This is off the top of my head, so I know I'm forgetting some good ones, but it's sort of take your pick as far as the best one.

Also worth noting is by 3rd option, I was going with the actual 3rd option offensively as opposed to 3rd best player which the OP seemed to mean. For example, Kukoc was the 3rd option on the '96 Bulls, but Rodman was easily the 3rd best player.

Prometheus
08-01-2014, 01:04 AM
lol @ Rodman as a third option. He was a very, very great basketball player. But he was not an "option".

GODbe is a repetitive gimmicky f@ggot.

James Worthy is probably the greatest third option in NBA history.

Fudge
08-01-2014, 01:08 AM
Well, this may be of interest, even though it's slightly different from what you're asking, but I put together a list of who were, in my opinion, the best 3rd options on championship teams the last 20 seasons.

1.2012 Bosh
2.2007 Manu
3.2013 Bosh
4.2004 Sheed
5.2008 Ray Allen
6.2014 Manu
7.2009 Odom
8.1998 Kukoc
9.1996 Kukoc
10.1999 Avery Johnson

Of course, you didn't exclusively ask for championship teams or the last 20 years, so I'll add to that.

Andrew Toney was obviously a great one in '83 and '84, same with James Worthy from '84-'86, McHale in '84, Dennis Johnson in '86, Norm Nixon in the early 80's, particularly '82, same with Jamaal Wilkes, particularly in '80. Horace Grant in 1992, and Wilt seemed to be the Lakers 3rd option in '69 behind West and Baylor, which was a point of contention between Wilt and Butcha Van Breda Kolff. Of course, there was also Bob Dandridge for the '71 Bucks title team behind Kareem and Oscar.

Most of those guys won titles, so expanding it there's Steve Nash/Michael Finley on the Mavs in 2002 and 2003. Finley being more the 2nd scoring option, but Nash being more important to the offense with Dirk obviously the man. Then there's Barkley and/or Drexler on the '97 Rockets. Difficult to say who was really the 2nd or 3rd option, though. Mike Bibby was pretty damn good for the 2002 Kings as well. Hell, the 2000 Blazers barely had a true first option between Sheed, Pippen, Steve Smith, Sabonis and Damon Stoudamire, though I'd say Sheed in the post(where he was pretty damn tough back then) was the first option, but pretty much take your pick after that. Then there's the Run TMC Warriors of '91 with Hardaway, Richmond and Mullin, who shared a pretty equal offensive load, but if you count one as the 3rd option, then there you go. Sam Cassell on the early 00's Bucks with Jesus and Big Dog. Detlef Schrempf on the Sonics with Payton and Kemp is another.

This is off the top of my head, so I know I'm forgetting some good ones, but it's sort of take your pick as far as the best one.

Also worth noting is by 3rd option, I was going with the actual 3rd option offensively as opposed to 3rd best player which the OP seemed to mean. For example, Kukoc was the 3rd option on the '96 Bulls, but Rodman was easily the 3rd best player.
Great post, bro. Wish I could rep you. Bunch of players I completely forgot about.

kennethgriffin
08-01-2014, 01:11 AM

who said i'm here to dance for people.

and who's trolling?

KG215
08-01-2014, 01:26 AM
who said i'm here to dance for people.

and who's trolling?
If you aren't trolling, then that makes most of what you post a lot sadder and more embarrassing.

redboy
08-01-2014, 01:28 AM
whoever was the third option in the finals last year for the spurs did a hell of a job

J Shuttlesworth
08-01-2014, 01:33 AM
whoever was the third option in the finals last year for the spurs did a hell of a job
Who was the first/2nd option on that team?

no pun intended
08-01-2014, 01:36 AM
Lin is wearing 17. Better change that avy.

Round Mound
08-01-2014, 01:39 AM
lol @ Rodman as a third option. He was a very, very great basketball player. But he was not an "option".

GODbe is a repetitive gimmicky f@ggot.

James Worthy is probably the greatest third option in NBA history.

This.

But we should take a look at the 50s and 60s Boston Celtics for 3rd or 4th or 5th options. MOST STACKED EVER.

DatAsh
08-01-2014, 01:56 AM
Wilt or Russell probably

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-01-2014, 02:00 AM
Manu wasnt the third option in 07 or 14. He mightve even been their best player in 14 he was easily better than Tony throughout 07. Cedric Maxwell had a FMVP doesnt mean he was the best or 2nd best player on the Celts

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2014, 02:03 AM
Manu wasnt the third option in 07 or 14. He mightve even been their best player in 14 he was easily better than Tony throughout 07. Cedric Maxwell had a FMVP doesnt mean he was the best or 2nd best player on the Celts

3rd option doesn't mean 3rd best. Bill Russell wasn't the first option on the Celtics, but he was their best player. Same with Ben Wallace on the '02-'04 Pistons. Parker had a bigger role in the offense than Manu in 2007 regardless of who was better.

SouBeachTalents
08-01-2014, 02:07 AM

2007 regular season

Parker- 19, 6, 3 on 52%
Ginobili- 17, 4, 4 on 46%

2007 postseason

Parker- 21, 6, 3 on 48%
Ginobili- 17, 4, 6 on 40%

houston
08-01-2014, 02:42 AM
worthy and thats it

Smoke117
08-01-2014, 02:45 AM

1.2012 Bosh
2.2007 Manu
3.2013 Bosh
4.2004 Sheed
5.2008 Ray Allen
6.2014 Manu
7.2009 Odom
8.1998 Kukoc
9.1996 Kukoc
10.1999 Avery Johnson

During the regular season, Sheed was generally the first option posting up and than Steve Smith posting up. Scottie pretty much cruised through the 2nd half of the season as far as scoring. In the playoffs it didn't really change so much except that Scottie was a lot more aggressive and looked for his shot more.

JT123
08-01-2014, 02:49 AM
Serge Ibaka anyone? :wtf:
Just cause Durant can't lead his stacked team to a title doesn't mean Ibaka isn't currently the best 3rd option in the league.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2014, 02:51 AM
During the regular season, Sheed was generally the first option posting up and than Steve Smith posting up. Scottie pretty much cruised through the 2nd half of the season as far as scoring. In the regular season it didn't really change so much except that Scottie was a lot more aggressive and looked for his shot more.

I'd say that's pretty accurate, just that they were extremely balanced and would exploit whatever match up they had first and foremost, though both Sheed and Smith had great post games at the time and were clearly their 2 most gifted scorers, especially when you consider how smooth Smith's jumper was. Pippen was still a very good player, a top 3 small forward and really didn't look much different than he had when the Bulls won their final title in '98, but those 2 were the more capable scorers, imo. I could go with Pippen as the 3rd option.

Smoke117
08-01-2014, 02:57 AM
I'd say that's pretty accurate, just that they were extremely balanced and would exploit whatever match up they had first and foremost, though both Sheed and Smith had great post games at the time and were clearly their 2 most gifted scorers, especially when you consider how smooth Smith's jumper was. Pippen was still a very good player, a top 3 small forward and really didn't look much different than he had when the Bulls won their final title in '98, but those 2 were the more capable scorers, imo. I could go with Pippen as the 3rd option.

That's true. In the first round the Blazers played the Twolves if you remember, and Wally Szerbiak (one of the worst defensive players ever? lol) was guarding Scottie, so Pip just basically said "I got this" and did whatever he wanted that series. So yeah I see what you mean though, I remember that, that was the game plan as far as obscene, unfair match ups go. God I miss that Blazers team...I think I miss Sabonis the most. I loved his fantastic basketball mind. Even slow as hell with two ****ed up knees he was a brilliant basketball player. One the greatest basketball IQ's ever, imo.

kennethgriffin
08-01-2014, 02:58 AM
If you aren't trolling, then that makes most of what you post a lot sadder and more embarrassing.

name something

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2014, 03:02 AM
That's true. In the first round the Blazers played the Twolves if you remember, and Wally Szerbiak (one of the worst defensive players ever? lol) was guarding Scottie, so Pip just basically said "I got this" and did whatever he wanted that series. I see what you mean though, I remember that, that was the game plan as far as obscene, unfair match ups go.

Yeah, Pippen was very aggressive that series, and had some nasty dunks as well. Definitely didn't look 34 on some of those plays. Pippen was also pretty aggressive in the Laker series until the injured finger in game 5, but he had gotten off to such a good start with 12 points while hitting all of his shots in the first quarter that he still wound up with 22 points as well as 6 steals and 4 blocks that game. Didn't look for his shot at all in game 6, but that's because his teammates were hot and he was clearly making a conscious effort not to disrupt that and really played another masterful defensive game in game 6. Hell, even in game 7, bad fourth quarter aside, Pippen had played well to that point, especially defensively.

That was a hell of a team at both ends.

Smoke117
08-01-2014, 03:11 AM
Yeah, Pippen was very aggressive that series, and had some nasty dunks as well. Definitely didn't look 34 on some of those plays. Pippen was also pretty aggressive in the Laker series until the injured finger in game 5, but he had gotten off to such a good start with 12 points while hitting all of his shots in the first quarter that he still wound up with 22 points as well as 6 steals and 4 blocks that game. Didn't look for his shot at all in game 6, but that's because his teammates were hot and he was clearly making a conscious effort not to disrupt that and really played another masterful defensive game in game 6. Hell, even in game 7, bad fourth quarter aside, Pippen had played well to that point, especially defensively.

That was a hell of a team at both ends.

Don't talk abou that, it depresses me! Haha, there was this video of game 5 on youtube and it basically cut out the first quarter and I was like "wtf I came here to watch Scottie go off in the first quarter and you don't even have it!" lol. I was so upset. A lot of people get on Scottie because he didn't just demand the ball and take over during their 4th quarter collapse in game 7 vs the Blazers, but the fact of the matter is...the Blazers got a lot of good shots...they just didn't make them. Everything just went to hell. They weren't playing bad basketball...they just weren't hitting the shots they were taking.

bdreason
08-01-2014, 03:22 AM
James Worthy is first to come to mind.

Detlef Schrempf was a pretty sick 3rd option.

Tim Hardaway in the Run TMC days.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2014, 03:27 AM
Don't talk abou that, it depresses me! Haha, there was this video of game 5 on youtube and it basically cut out the first quarter and I was like "wtf I came here to watch Scottie go off in the first quarter and you don't even have it!" lol. I was so upset. A lot of people get on Scottie because he didn't just demand the ball and take over during their 4th quarter collapse in game 7 vs the Blazers, but the fact of the matter is...the Blazers got a lot of good shots...they just didn't make them. Everything just went to hell. They weren't playing bad basketball...they just weren't hitting the shots they were taking.

Yeah, even Sheed missed a few shots in a row during that crucial stretch, and he had been killing the Lakers all series, especially since his ejection in game 1. The Blazers had so many other guys who could go off, though. Pippen did, Smith was very good all series offensively, but at times, looked unstoppable with that smooth fadeaway in the post and it was Smith's incredible shooting in the 3rd that initially gave Portland the big lead. Really an amazing stretch, hitting long 3s, floaters, mid-range shots, fadeaways ect. and Portland was successful a few times with the Smith/Sabonis high screen/roll to try to get Shaq involved in it, though to Shaq's credit, he eventually did come out a few times and give a better effort. But outside of those 3, Bonzi went off a few times in the series, and it wasn't a favorable match up for Stoudamire who barely played at times, but had a a couple of good games, and Schrempf was still effective for his passing as well as posting up at times and being a threat to hit the outside shot. Even Sabonis who was hot and cold with his 20-22 footers, and ineffective with the hook in the post vs Shaq, had his moments where he stepped up and gave them offense as well as a double double with 6 assists in game 6, when although the situations weren't comparable, you could argue he matched Shaq that game in a sense. And even when Sabonis wasn't scoring, what he did do effectively was keep Shaq away from the basket quite a bit since Portland was trying to keep him in the high-post and at the top of the key to open up the post and driving lanes for other players, and this did work a fair amount. They also used Sabonis as an entry passer quite a bit. Even an old Sabonis could be very valuable. People shouldn't underestimate what such a versatile skill set and high IQ at that size can do, even with little mobility.

Unfortunately, for whatever reason, with so many weapons, including various players who went off at times throughout the series suddenly couldn't hit a shot while Shaq finally awoke and started getting the ball while picking it up defensively to go along with Kobe and Brian Shaw was hitting the shots out of the double team despite generally being a mediocre shooter, and Horry had shot horribly all series, but hit a big 3 himself.

That's just the way it goes sometimes, but the two teams were about as evenly matched as you could possibly be. Someone had to lose.

Smoke117
08-01-2014, 03:29 AM
Frankly, I don't think most teams even really go into an "3rd option set" if you want to call it. I think the whole 1st option, 2nd option, 3rd option what have you kind of explanation as far as an offensive system goes is bullshit. No team brings up the ball and says: "okay the first option is stuffed...ok now the 2nd is too...3rd good!"...come on. Anyone who's played basketball at an organized level past middle school knows that, that isn't how basketball goes. There is a gameplan and when it doesn't go according to plan the ball gets passed around and the best players of course are going to be the ones to be the most aggressive as far as scoring. By the time you get to the 3rd best scorer he isn't really scoring as a "third option" because even if you wrote plays where there is one...this isn't the practice court, this is real basketball. Being the guy who scores the 3rd most points isn't being option 3 because the theory of an option 3 is ludicrous in a real basketball situation.

Mrofir
08-01-2014, 03:32 AM
I would have to say the Wii U is one of the greatest third options of all time.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2014, 03:35 AM
Frankly, I don't think most teams even really go into an "3rd option set" if you want to call it. I think the whole 1st option, 2nd option, 3rd option what have you kind of explanation as far as an offensive system goes is bullshit. No team brings up the ball and says: "okay the first option is stuffed...ok now the 2nd is too...3rd good!"...come on. Anyone who's played basketball at an organized level past middle school knows that, that isn't how basketball goes. There is a gameplan and when it doesn't go according to plan the ball gets passed around and the best players of course are going to be the ones to be the most aggressive as far as scoring. By the time you get to the 3rd best scorer he isn't really scoring as a "third option" because even if you wrote plays where there is one...this isn't the practice court, this is real basketball. Being the guy who scores the 3rd most points isn't being option 3 because the theory of an option 3 is ludicrous in a real basketball situation.

Well, there are 1st options, 2nd options ect. in some systems like the triangle offense, but really 3rd option is generally just a term used for the guy who a team goes to the 3rd most offensively like Bosh behind Lebron and Wade.

GimmeThat
08-01-2014, 04:20 AM
James Worthy is first to come to mind.
Detlef Schrempf was a pretty sick 3rd option.

Tim Hardaway in the Run TMC days.

didn't get to watch him play, so Manu really comes to mind for me.

if it comes down to between which team has had the 3rd best player on a championship team, or which player has been the best fit for taking the amount of FG per game as the 3rd player.

I tend to believe the latter statement applies to Manu for the last decade or so.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 09:15 AM
2007 regular season

Parker- 19, 6, 3 on 52%
Ginobili- 17, 4, 4 on 46%

2007 postseason

Parker- 21, 6, 3 on 48%
Ginobili- 17, 4, 6 on 40%
Thank you for shooting that nonsense down.

AintNoSunshine
08-01-2014, 12:30 PM
:lol Rodman third option, that team won't crack 50 points

kshutts1
08-01-2014, 12:48 PM
James Worthy
Chris Bosh
Kevin McHale
Tony Parker/Gino?
Dennis Rodman
Big Ben?

Just to name a few

How would you rank them? Who's the greatest?
Which player was the best player, that was the third best player on any team in a given year? Or are we talking players that were career third best?

What qualifications are we using?

riseagainst
08-01-2014, 01:27 PM
2011 LeBald

:roll:

Roundball_Rock
08-01-2014, 01:36 PM

:lol that was you! I remember seeing that in the comments section and thinking "same here." :oldlol:

Yeah, I would say the 00' Portland team in terms of scoring was balanced and went with match ups, but Wallace was the nominal first option. Pippen was still the team leader, though, and their top playmaker and defender. People forget in the playoffs he led Portland in rebounds, assists, steals, minutes and was only 3 ppg from Wallace.

I think the whole 1st option, 2nd option, 3rd option what have you kind of explanation as far as an offensive system goes is bullshit. No team brings up the ball and says: "okay the first option is stuffed...ok now the 2nd is too...3rd good!"...come on. Anyone who's played basketball at an organized level past middle school knows that, that isn't how basketball goes. There is a gameplan and when it doesn't go according to plan the ball gets passed around and the best players of course are going to be the ones to be the most aggressive as far as scoring. By the time you get to the 3rd best scorer he isn't really scoring as a "third option" because even if you wrote plays where there is one...this isn't the practice court, this is real basketball. Being the guy who scores the 3rd most points isn't being option 3 because the theory of an option 3 is ludicrous in a real basketball situation.

Great points. This isn't the NFL where there is a "first read" and "second read" and so on among receiving options on every play.

Fudge
08-01-2014, 01:44 PM
Which player was the best player, that was the third best player on any team in a given year? Or are we talking players that were career third best?

What qualifications are we using?
On any given championship team, I guess. Was thinking all-time, but I have Bosh in there and a few others.

And I meant third best for the subject, not neccessarily a third "option".

Real14
08-01-2014, 01:46 PM
10.1999 Avery Johnson

:coleman:

Real14
08-01-2014, 01:47 PM
On any given championship team, I guess. Was thinking all-time, but I have Bosh in there and a few others.

And I meant third best for the subject, not neccessarily a third "option".
Who's baby iz that?:biggums:

pastis
08-01-2014, 01:49 PM
Wade and Garnett

Real14
08-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Wade and Garnett
:facepalm

Fudge
08-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Who's baby iz that?:biggums:
Mines, bro. GF gave birth a few weeks ago.

Overdrive
08-01-2014, 02:12 PM

I agree with that, but it's still natural, the 3rd option is basically the third most talented in putting the ball in the hoop in most scenarios. It doesn't mean out of 100 play option 1 gets 50 options 2 30 option 3 10 and the rest shares the other 10%. It means that this guy is the one that will score or faciliate the ball the most after the two mainguys most teams have. And this pecking order is natural among basketball teams, because the talent falls off pretty hard after the 3rd to 5th guy.

Or in other words it's the main guy if the other two sit on the bench.

ShaqAttack3234
08-01-2014, 10:28 PM
:coleman:

Ok, so out of 3rd options on championship teams the past 20 seasons, who do you think was better who i didn't already list?

Avery played very well for those Spurs. Could penetrate, was a very solid passer, a much better finisher than you'd expect at that height with those hook type finishes in the paint and a decent defender, who actually led the Spurs in scoring during the 1st round against the Wolves. Plus, he was never a good shooter, but became good enough to knock down those mid to long 2s he was getting left open for at a solid rate.

So again, other than the 9 I ranked above him, who was better among championship 3rd options the last 20 seasons? Other than '05 Parker and whoever was the 3rd option on the 2010 Lakers between Odom and Bynum, I'm not seeing anyone else with much of a case.

LAZERUSS
08-01-2014, 10:39 PM
I suppose you could include Wilt's 68-69 season with the Lakers. Under the "brilliant" leadrship of Butch "the Butcher" Van Breda Kolff, Wilt was asked to reduce his offensive role with that team, and as a result, he "only" averaged 20.5 ppg (on a .583 FG%)...which was behind West's 25.9 ppg and Baylor's 24.8 ppg.

Interesting though, that midway thru the season Chamberlain was averaging around 17 ppg. It got so bad that SI was preparing to run a story claiming that Wilt could no longer score. It would hit the newstands on Jan. 27. However, the night before the story came out, Wilt erupted for 60 points. A few days later he hung his last 60+ point game, 66 points, on an unfathomable 29-35 from the field (which the all-time FG% record for a 60+ point game.) In fact, over the course of 17 straight games, Wilt went on a rampage and averaged 31.1 ppg in that span, which included a 35 point outburst against Russell, which was his highest game against Russell since his 46 point game in the clinching game five of the '66 EDF's.

Oh, and after VBK was fired (well, he resigned before getting the axe), the Lakers brought in Joe Mullaney. Mullaney's first order of business was to ask Wilt to become the focal point of the Laker offense. Wilt responded by leading the league in scoring thru his first nine games (32.2 ppg on a .579 FG%.) However, Wilt shattered his knee in that ninth game (BTW... 33 points on 13-14 shooting, and in 33 minutes)...and was never the same offensive force again.

Incidently, in those nine games, West was right behind Wilt at 30.8 ppg, while Baylor had slipped to 19.9 ppg in that span.