PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker signs multi-year contract extension with the Spurs.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 02:05 PM
http://www.nba.com/spurs/news/140801_tony_parker_signs_contract_extension

The San Antonio Spurs today announced guard Tony Parker has signed a multi-year contract extension. Per club policy terms of the contract were not announced.

Parker has spent his entire 13-year NBA career with the Spurs after being selected by San Antonio with the 28th overall pick in the 2001 NBA Draft. The 32-year-old Parker is one of the most decorated players in Spurs history, being named to four All-NBA Teams (second team in 2012, 2013 and 2014 and third team in 2009) while earning six All-Star appearances (2006, 2007, 2009, 2012, 2013, 2014). The Spurs have captured four NBA Championships during Parker

Fudge
08-01-2014, 02:07 PM
Terny Perker.

Smook A.
08-01-2014, 02:09 PM
Good for him and the Spurs organization :applause:

ninephive
08-01-2014, 02:10 PM
Last year he passed Magic on the most points in playoff history list. This year he should pretty easily pass Hakeem, Havilicek, and Bird to move to 9th all-time.

And he pretty easily moves to 4th all-time for most playoff assists behind Magic, Stockton, and Kidd. He only really needs one (maybe 2) playoff rounds to get there.

Smook A.
08-01-2014, 02:35 PM
Its reported to be a 3 year/45 million dollar deal.

That's a lot.

DaSeba5
08-01-2014, 02:36 PM
Shocker.

fpliii
08-01-2014, 02:37 PM
Its reported to be a 3 years/45 million dollar deal.

That's a lot.
Yeah shit, overpaying there for sure.

PleezeBelieve
08-01-2014, 02:42 PM
You people criticize every contract, even the vet minimums :roll:

D-Rose
08-01-2014, 02:47 PM
Great deal for the Spurs, esp w/ the new salary cap coming down the line.

This will allow them to max out Kawhi as well.

fpliii
08-01-2014, 02:47 PM
You people criticize every contract, even the vet minimums :roll:
Eh, it's kinda sketchy for him to be making 50% more than Duncan next year IMO, but that's just me.

Darius
08-01-2014, 02:50 PM

How is a 3 year deal at $15m/year overpaying for a top 5 point guard?

r0drig0lac
08-01-2014, 02:51 PM
good for the Spurs

D-Rose
08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Eh, it's kinda sketchy for him to be making 50% more than Duncan next year IMO, but that's just me.
They're at far different points in their careers...Tony is one of the best point guards in the league...this is a good deal and nothing less. My goodness.

bagelred
08-01-2014, 02:54 PM
:roll:

hawkfan
08-01-2014, 02:56 PM

He's underpaid.
Best pg in the league.

Buford doin work.

r0drig0lac
08-01-2014, 02:58 PM
He's underpaid.
Best pg in the league.

Buford doin work.
this

fpliii
08-01-2014, 02:58 PM

They're at far different points in their careers...Tony is one of the best point guards in the league...this is a good deal and nothing less. My goodness.
Eh, we'll just have to agree to disagree then. I'm admittedly a bit of a Parker hater, but I think what he gives you is easier to replace than what Timmy gives you, yes even at this stage in his career.

The Spurs are a smart organization so it won't hurt them, but I think they could've gotten away with paying him less, especially since they're gonna need the cap space to sign Duncan's replacement.

D-Rose
08-01-2014, 02:59 PM
3 years 43 million

@WojYahooNBA 7s
He'll make $13.4M, $14.4M and $15.4M over life of three-year extension, source tells Yahoo.

And SA will have plenty of cap space by the time Duncan retires. The salary cap is expected to leap about $20 million in the next 2-3 years. There's plenty to work with.

fpliii
08-01-2014, 03:00 PM
3 years 43 million

And SA will have plenty of cap space by the time Duncan retires. The salary cap is expected to leap about $20 million in the next 2-3 years. There's plenty to work with.
Really? If it's expected to be that much, then the deal isn't bad at all IMO.

SCdac
08-01-2014, 03:08 PM
Whatever it takes to satisfy his ego, motivate him, keep him caring about playing hard (now that TP has 4 rings). spurs are like a family. I'm sure they have it all worked out, their immediate and distant plans. Best run organization in the NBA.

Smook A.
08-01-2014, 03:16 PM
Listen dude, Parker is definitely good but he's not a top 5 point guard. CP3, Westbrook, Curry, Wall, Lillard, a healthy D-Rose and arguably Irving are all better than him right now.

guy
08-01-2014, 03:18 PM

Well, he's sacrificed a lot and been underpaid for years. He clearly is a max player if players like Chris Bosh, Joe Johnson, Deron Williams, etc. have been able to make the money they've made. This will actually be the most per year he's ever made. Spurs might be resigned to the fact that Duncan and Ginobili will be retiring after next year and they won't really be as strong of a contender anymore so they want to pay Parker back while they're not contending. Or maybe they feel that Duncan and Ginobili might come back at lower salaries and they can pay Parker even more as a result.

Nash
why is he so happy about being underpaid? f*ck NBA and Spurs, those guys don't leave money on the table for nobody.

Milbuck
Best pg in the league.

https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2727748211/c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

dazzer87
08-01-2014, 03:19 PM
Kobe stan............:roll: :roll: :roll:

guy
08-01-2014, 03:22 PM
Listen dude, Parker is definitely good but he's not a top 5 point guard. CP3, Westbrook, Curry, Wall, Lillard, a healthy D-Rose and arguably Irving are all better than him right now.

I have no idea what makes Irving better. I don't really even see what makes him that great. He's one of the most overrated players in the league IMO. He's a really good player but honestly, if I'm the Cavs I might want to wait till I can trade Kyrie to the Wolves for Love instead of Wiggins. Wall and Lillard haven't done anything noteworthy to be considered better. And I'm a huge Bulls fan, but Rose being healthy is still a question mark.

fpliii
08-01-2014, 03:24 PM
Kobe stan............:roll: :roll: :roll:
He's overpaid too. :confusedshrug:

It's not like he didn't know the score, so he's well aware that he won't be contending these next two years, which could be his final two seasons before retiring.

It is what it is.

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 03:30 PM
I have no idea what makes Irving better. I don't really even see what makes him that great. He's one of the most overrated players in the league IMO. He's a really good player but honestly, if I'm the Cavs I might want to wait till I can trade Kyrie to the Wolves for Love instead of Wiggins. Wall and Lillard haven't done anything noteworthy to be considered better. And I'm a huge Bulls fan, but Rose being healthy is still a question mark.
You don't have to do anything noteworthy to be considered better..Love hasn't done anything noteworthy in his career and he's still better than Dirk right now. Besides, Lillard's play against Houston and Wall getting his team to the 2nd round for the first time in 9 seasons should count for something. Lillard is just a better basketball player right now, as is Wall if you factor in defense as we should.

Westbrook
CP3
Curry
Lillard
Wall

That's 5 right there..and Rose from all reports/indications from players, staff, and media from Team USA have said he's back to his old self. Which would push TP out of the top 6 as well.

D-Rose
08-01-2014, 03:32 PM
You don't have to do anything noteworthy to be considered better..Love hasn't done anything noteworthy in his career and he's still better than Dirk right now. Besides, Lillard's play against Houston and Wall getting his team to the 2nd round for the first time in 9 seasons should count for something. Lillard is just a better basketball player right now, as is Wall if you factor in defense as we should.

Westbrook
CP3
Curry
Lillard
Wall

That's 5 right there..and Rose from all reports/indications from players, staff, and media from Team USA have said he's back to his old self. Which would push TP out of the top 6 as well.

Does it really matter? It's all semantics if he's top 3 or top 5 or top 10...bottom line is that he is absolutely worth that deal.

Beastmode88
08-01-2014, 03:34 PM
why are we talking about top 5 in general? spurs didn't even have anyone in the mvp race and still crushed miami by 14+ a game.

rmt
08-01-2014, 03:42 PM
Overpaid, but makes up for being underpaid the last 4 years ($12.5 million). He'll be 35 in the last year of this contract, and his greatest asset (quickness) isn't something that ages well (unlike Manu or Duncan). Oh well, they're still in good shape salary-wise.

How much is it gonna take to re-sign Leonard and Green? Hopefully Manu and Duncan come back for another year after this one for MLE and LLE type money.

Darius
08-01-2014, 03:46 PM

CP3 is better. Westbrook is better. Curry is better.

The other 4? Highly arguable.

We have yet to see D-Rose play since re-injury (and he didn't look so hot after the last injury), Lillard is good but no defense and flamed out vs Spurs, Irving has talent but hasn't done anything, Wall needs more resume.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 03:50 PM

Westbrook
CP3
Curry
Lillard
Wall

He was the only All-Star on a championship team. In my book, any player who is the only All-Star on his championship team (coaches vote, no less) should be considered a top-5 player at his position in the league. I honestly cannot think of any situation where the only All-Star on a championship team would not be considered top-5 at his position in the league. It honestly sounds silly even saying it.

And it might be different if there was some hole like if he didn't lead the team in scoring and assists throughout the season and playoffs or like if he didn't lead the team in scoring in the Finals or something, but he did all of those things. The lists you guys give are either (1) Parker went through THIS season, (2) Guys Parker went multiple times in the playoffs, or (3) Bottom-feeder leaders.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 03:59 PM
https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images/2727748211/c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg
He said, "Best PG in the league." There are lots of people who say it, including guys like Charles Barkley, Jalen Rose, Skip Bayless, Bill Simmons, etc. (3 out of 4 of those guys have historically hated the Spurs). So post all the GIFs you want...sorry you don't agree.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 04:15 PM
Then again, most of you are the same guys who wouldn't call Parker a top 5 PG last year either when he was neck-and-neck with Lebron for MVP. I'm sure guys like John Wall are at the top of these MVP ladders in you guys' hearts.

http://web.archive.org/web/20130227024018/http://www.nba.com/mvp-ladder/2012-13/index.html

Smook A.
08-01-2014, 04:18 PM
He said, "Best PG in the league." There are lots of people who say it, including guys like Charles Barkley, Jalen Rose, Skip Bayless, Bill Simmons, etc. (3 out of 4 of those guys have historically hated the Spurs). So post all the GIFs you want...sorry you don't agree.
Yeah "Best PG in the league" means that you're better than guys like Chris Paul, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard, John Wall and Russell Westbrook. Tony Parker is not better than those guys. He's good, don't get me wrong, but I don't think he's the best pg in the league.

Smook A.
08-01-2014, 04:24 PM
CP3 is better. Westbrook is better. Curry is better.

The other 4? Highly arguable.

We have yet to see D-Rose play since re-injury (and he didn't look so hot after the last injury), Lillard is good but no defense and flamed out vs Spurs, Irving has talent but hasn't done anything, Wall needs more resume.
Wall doesn't need a resume. This is about being a better player, not having a better career. Right now? Wall is the better player. Obviously Parker has had the much better career so far.

Wall averaged 19/9 last season
Parker averaged 16/7

Parker had the better season. Wall was the better player out of the two.

My PG ranking from last season
1. CP3
2. Westbrook
3. Curry
4. Wall
5. Lowry
6. Lillard
7. Parker
8. Dragic
9. Bledsoe
10. Lawson

ninephive
08-01-2014, 04:38 PM
Wall doesn't need a resume. This is about being a better player, not having a better career. Right now? Wall is the better player. Obviously Parker has had the much better career so far.

Parker averaged 16/7

1. CP3
2. Westbrook
3. Curry
4. Wall
5. Lowry
6. Lillard
7. Parker
8. Dragic
9. Bledsoe
10. Lawson
Fair enough. Parker's going to be a top 10 postseason scorer and top 5 postseason passer of all time by next season. If you want to rank him as a #7 point guard in his prime, go for it. It just won't add up when we go back in history and look at it. "So this guy wasn't a top 5 PG in the league, but he was leading his team to the WCF, Finals, and to a title as the top scorer and assist guy every season? All these analysts were calling him the best PG in the league because he led one of the greatest offenses in NBA history (in both scoring and distribution)? He was routinely sending all the guys on the list ahead of him home (Westbrook, Lilliard, CP3, Curry, Nash, Deron, etc.), but wasn't better than them?"

But then Smook will come in to save the day and be like, "Nope, nope. Kyle Lowry and John Wall were better. They just were. It didn't mean they won games or put up incredible numbers, but in my gut they just were better."

And then I will go back to listening to people who value winning in basketball.

08-01-2014, 04:45 PM
Nice.

I am looking forward to next season, if spurs can repeat it will be......just awesome... It will be that one monkey off their backs (minor one but still).

Timmy D for MVP
08-01-2014, 05:01 PM
People are talking about his quickness being an issue but he hasn't been as quick as he was for a little while now. His bread and butter is finding angles, and that's something that should continue as long as he's healthy. And he will always be quicker than the bigs that cover PRs.

My only concern is his mid range game. We've seen coming off injuries that he can be a little short, and if his legs go on him he'll have to adjust his shot. But again in that organization, and that kind of player, they'll figure it out no problem.

This is not an overpay contract.

Also idk how anyone can watch Parker play and have him the 7th best PG. I mean if you factor injury concerns maybe, but he's a top-5 PG. He torched Lillard in that series just last year and then got hurt and even while having a "down" Finals still managed to be big.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 05:16 PM
People are talking about his quickness being an issue but he hasn't been as quick as he was for a little while now. His bread and butter is finding angles, and that's something that should continue as long as he's healthy. And he will always be quicker than the bigs that cover PRs.

My only concern is his mid range game. We've seen coming off injuries that he can be a little short, and if his legs go on him he'll have to adjust his shot. But again in that organization, and that kind of player, they'll figure it out no problem.

This is not an overpay contract.

Also idk how anyone can watch Parker play and have him the 7th best PG. I mean if you factor injury concerns maybe, but he's a top-5 PG. He torched Lillard in that series just last year and then got hurt and even while having a "down" Finals still managed to be big.
Exactly...an injured Parker still leads the Spurs in scoring on the biggest stage. John Wall was the third best scorer on a team that got beat by a GARBAGE Pacers team. Seriously...this is getting ridiculous. Behind freaking Bradley Beal and Marcin Gortat. Come on people...

ninephive
08-01-2014, 05:53 PM
Tony Parker was the only All-Star for the Spurs this season.

He led the Spurs in scoring.
He scored more in the playoffs than in the regular season. (He pretty much does this every year)
He scored more in the Finals than in the playoffs.

I think there are literally people here on this forum that think this is not true.

Akrazotile
08-01-2014, 05:53 PM
You don't have to do anything noteworthy to be considered better..Love hasn't done anything noteworthy in his career and he's still better than Dirk right now.

Hes not tho

hawkfan
08-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Cheap contract for future Hall of Famer.

jl1718
08-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Parker averaged 16/7

1. CP3
2. Westbrook
3. Curry
4. Wall
5. Lowry
6. Lillard
7. Parker
8. Dragic
9. Bledsoe
10. Lawson

You are certainly entitled to your opinion. What makes Parker worth the money? There may be three guys on that list with the IQ to run the Spurs motion intense offense. That's apart of the reason he's being payed. He knows where guys are suppose to be and if they are not he get's them there.

Jerry

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 06:18 PM
He was the only All-Star on a championship team. In my book, any player who is the only All-Star on his championship team (coaches vote, no less) should be considered a top-5 player at his position in the league. I honestly cannot think of any situation where the only All-Star on a championship team would not be considered top-5 at his position in the league. It honestly sounds silly even saying it.

And it might be different if there was some hole like if he didn't lead the team in scoring and assists throughout the season and playoffs or like if he didn't lead the team in scoring in the Finals or something, but he did all of those things. The lists you guys give are either (1) Parker went through THIS season, (2) Guys Parker went multiple times in the playoffs, or (3) Bottom-feeder leaders.
Dude that is terrible logic. You understand that the Spurs were significantly better with Parker off the floor in the playoffs, right? He got dismantled so badly by Westbrook they sat him down. He missed his first 10 shots in the closeout game of the finals and his team was still destroying Miami.

And we need to stop propping him up because of the Spurs' success. He is playing for the GOAT coach in one of the GOAT offensive systems in NBA history..you can literally replace him with any other top 10 point guard and they would've probably won it all. I shudder to think how good CP3, Curry, Westbrook, Lillard, Rose, and Wall would be in the current Spurs' system.

He's a terrific player, and 2 years ago and even just last year, he was a top 5 PG. But with how Lillard and Wall have improved, with healthy Rose now coming back, and Parker himself hitting his decline..he's just not top 5. There's no shame in that either, considering how ridiculously stacked the position is today. He's still clearly top 10, but in this discussion right now and that CP3 v TP thread you made earlier, you are overrating the hell out of him based on what he has done in the past.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 06:45 PM
You understand that the Spurs were significantly better with Parker off the floor in the playoffs, right?
How the hell does your team get better when you bench your leading scorer and distributer through the playoffs. He had a positive +/- throughout the playoffs. Let me guess, you're using that dumbass On/Off statistic that showed that him, Duncan, and Diaw made the team worse and Matt Bonner and Manu Ginobili made the Spurs the best. Please tell me you're not still trying to sell that one. I think ISH knows better than that.

He got dismantled so badly by Westbrook they sat him down.
Hahaha yah dismantled by a guy that SHOT THE THUNDER OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS. Parker watched Westbrook chuck to freaking .407 for the series (while shooting an efficient .493 himself as usual) and watched him turn the ball over 4 times a game. Meanwhile, the MVP of the league is shooting .475 and giving the Thunder a chance to win the series, except he can't get shots because of Westbrick's chucking. NOTHING NEW THERE. 6 games...over. And yes, Parker was injured for 1 half of 1 game that ended up going to overtime and the Spurs squeaked out of. That is true.

He missed his first 10 shots in the closeout game of the finals and his team was still destroying Miami.
Only to make 7 of the next 8 and go for 14 in the 4th quarter of Game 5 of the Finals to close it out. But I guess for you, it's worse to miss your shots at the beginning of the game. Parker saves his good shooting for closeout moments (aka Game 7 of the Mavs series).

And we need to stop propping him up because of the Spurs' success. He is playing for the GOAT coach and running one of the GOAT offensive systems in NBA history..
Fixed. "He's only the best player on the team...quit propping him up! The Spurs have other players that aren't All-Stars. Guys like Chris Paul don't play with guys who finished the season #3 in MVP voting (oh wait) and they don't have a championship coach (oh wait). They would be soooooooooooooooo much better if they had more things!!! I promise! I swear!!!!!"

He's a terrific player, and 2 years ago and even just last year, he was a top 5 PG.
Two years ago he was a top 5 PG???? What a genius! Do you think so? What tipped you off? Was it that he was #2 in entire MVP voting at the All-Star break? Let's see...does the second best player in the league qualify as a top 5 PG? Good job Milbuck. You sir are a genius.

But with how Lillard and Wall have improved
Think about it...if Lilliard keeps improving, he might be able to not get his ass handed to him like a schoolgirl by Parker come next playoffs. He might be able to win MORE THAN 1 GAME against the Spurs (considering he also plays alongside one of the best big men in the game). Can you imagine if Lilliard could lose to the Spurs in 6 next year how much better he would be than Parker. Parker wouldn't even be in the conversation if Lilliard could be the second-best player on a team that took a Parker-led Spurs to 7. I mean, I wouldn't even want to think about how many tiers above Parker Lilliard would be if he could beat a Parker-led Spurs team as the second best player on the Blazers. That would be insane.

AboutBuckets
08-01-2014, 06:50 PM
Bookmarked for the meltdown thread.. keep it coming guys :cheers:

Prodigy
08-01-2014, 07:06 PM
How the hell does your team get better when you bench your leading scorer and distributer through the playoffs. He had a positive +/- throughout the playoffs. Let me guess, you're using that dumbass On/Off statistic that showed that him, Duncan, and Diaw made the team worse and Matt Bonner and Manu Ginobili made the Spurs the best. Please tell me you're not still trying to sell that one. I think ISH knows better than that.

Parker may have scored the most and may have even gotten the most assists but I think everyone who actually watched the finals could tell you that Diaw was the one who was running the system and playing lead distributor/spacer.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 07:17 PM

Parker averaged 16/7

1. CP3 - 1092 (9 seasons)
2. Westbrook - 1544 (6 seasons)
3. Curry - 442 (5 seasons)
4. Wall - 179 (1 season)
5. Lowry - 217 (8 seasons)
6. Lillard - 252 (2 seasons)
7. Parker - 3705 (13 seasons)
8. Dragic
9. Bledsoe
10. Lawson
I was just trying something...I was able to combine your top 6 guys and get the same postseason scoring output as Parker:

Top 6 PGs (combined 31 seasons in the league) - 3,726 points
Tony Parker (13 seasons in the league) - 3,705 points

ninephive
08-01-2014, 07:18 PM
Parker may have scored the most and may have even gotten the most assists but I think everyone who actually watched the finals could tell you that Diaw was the one who was running the system and playing lead distributor/spacer.Hm

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 07:19 PM
WATCH THE GAMES. Get your head out of your ass and seriously, watch the games. It was 100% obvious during the conference finals and finals that the biggest problem with the Spurs' offense was when Tony Parker would blatantly disregard ball movement and over dribble. Whenever they bought into the system, more often than not they were an offensive juggernaut. The only chance other teams had was when TP would try to control things to a fault, which in your deluded mind is him "running the offense"...an offense that hasn't been an individually-concentrated offense in years. His game during the playoffs literally went against everything they had built as a team offense, and it showed when they looked so much smoother without him.

Hahaha yah dismantled by a guy that SHOT THE THUNDER OUT OF THE PLAYOFFS. Parker watched Westbrook chuck to freaking .407 for the series (while shooting an efficient .493 himself as usual) and watched him turn the ball over 4 times a game. Meanwhile, the MVP of the league is shooting .475 and giving the Thunder a chance to win the series, except he can't get shots because of Westbrick's chucking. NOTHING NEW THERE. 6 games...over. And yes, Parker was injured for 1 half of 1 game that ended up going to overtime and the Spurs squeaked out of. That is true.
LOL at pointing out Parker's "efficiency". I suppose 2014 D-Wade who shot 55% was better than 2009 Wade, right?

Once again, if you watched the games you'd have a clue. Westbrook was a nightmare on defense, and there was seriously nothing Parker could do about it. He averaged 13ppg and was essentially relegated to role player status...the dude shot his nice little percentages because of San Antonio's terrific spacing and offensive discipline that makes it easier for everyone..but he looked totally defeated both on the court and on the bench when Pop sat his ass because he was a liability (especially on defense).

Only to make 7 of the next 8 and go for 14 in the 4th quarter of Game 5 of the Finals to close it out. But I guess for you, it's worse to miss your shots at the beginning of the game. Parker saves his good shooting for closeout moments (aka Game 7 of the Mavs series).
Which means absolutely nothing considering they were destroying Miami before he made a single shot. The point is Parker was an absolute no-show in the clearest way imaginable for a huge chunk of the game and his team was still embarrassing the back-to-back defending champs. This isn't like Lebron or Kobe or CP3 underwhelming...the dude went ZERO FOR TEN and his team was up by 15-20+ for pretty much all but the 1st quarter of the game. If that doesn't speak to how little impact he has on the game compared to other top 5 PGs...especially CP3, Curry, and Westbrook..I don't know what does.

Fixed. "He's only the best player on the team...quit propping him up! The Spurs have other players that aren't All-Stars. Guys like Chris Paul don't play with guys who finished the season #3 in MVP voting (oh wait) and they don't have a championship coach (oh wait). They would be soooooooooooooooo much better if they had more things!!! I promise! I swear!!!!!"
****ing LOL at him "running the offense". It was painfully obvious that the Spurs offense was at its best without Parker's bullshit over dribbling. Seriously, did you watch a single Spurs game past the first round?

"Best player on the team"...despite the fact that San Antonio didn't pull away from Miami until Kawhi stepped up in a way (on both ends of the floor) Parker never did nor was capable of doing in the finals. Duncan and Leonard's impact factoring in defense > Parker, and it's not even that close in the playoffs.

Two years ago he was a top 5 PG???? What a genius! Do you think so? What tipped you off? Was it that he was #2 in entire MVP voting at the All-Star break? Let's see...does the second best player in the league qualify as a top 5 PG? Good job Milbuck. You sir are a genius.
Once again with your retarded logic.

So Derrick Rose was the best player in the world in 2011. Got it.

So Allen Iverson was the best player in the world in 2001 over peak Shaq and near-peak Duncan. Got it.

So Steve Nash was the best player in the world for 2 straight seasons over prime Duncan, Kobe, Wade, Lebron, etc.

Think about it...if Lilliard keeps improving, he might be able to not get his ass handed to him like a schoolgirl by Parker come next playoffs. He might be able to win MORE THAN 1 GAME against the Spurs (considering he also plays alongside one of the best big men in the game). Can you imagine if Lilliard could lose to the Spurs in 6 next year how much better he would be than Parker. Parker wouldn't even be in the conversation if Lilliard could be the second-best player on a team that took a Parker-led Spurs to 7. I mean, I wouldn't even want to think about how many tiers above Parker Lilliard would be if he could beat a Parker-led Spurs team as the second best player on the Blazers. That would be insane.
I'm not even gonna bother writing out a big response to this. You're once again equating the Spurs' success with Tony Parker's game..which is the dumbest ****ing thing you can do if you watched a single minute of the playoffs, especially the WCF and Finals.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 07:41 PM
WATCH THE GAMES. Get your head out of your ass and seriously, watch the games. It was 100% obvious during the conference finals and finals that the biggest problem with the Spurs' offense was when Tony Parker would blatantly disregard ball movement and over dribble. Whenever they bought into the system, more often than not they were an offensive juggernaut. The only chance other teams had was when TP would try to control things to a fault, which in your deluded mind is him "running the offense"...an offense that hasn't been an individually-concentrated offense in years. His game during the playoffs literally went against everything they had built as a team offense, and it showed when they looked so much smoother without him.

LOL at pointing out Parker's "efficiency". I suppose 2014 D-Wade who shot 55% was better than 2009 Wade, right?

Once again, if you watched the games you'd have a clue. Westbrook was a nightmare on defense, and there was seriously nothing Parker could do about it. He averaged 13ppg and was essentially relegated to role player status...the dude shot his nice little percentages because of San Antonio's terrific spacing and offensive discipline that makes it easier for everyone..but he looked totally defeated both on the court and on the bench when Pop sat his ass because he was a liability (especially on defense).

Which means absolutely nothing considering they were destroying Miami before he made a single shot. The point is Parker was an absolute no-show in the clearest way imaginable for a huge chunk of the game and his team was still embarrassing the back-to-back defending champs. This isn't like Lebron or Kobe or CP3 underwhelming...the dude went ZERO FOR TEN and his team was up by 15-20+ for pretty much all but the 1st quarter of the game. If that doesn't speak to how little impact he has on the game compared to other top 5 PGs...especially CP3, Curry, and Westbrook..I don't know what does.

****ing LOL at him "running the offense". It was painfully obvious that the Spurs offense was at its best without Parker's bullshit over dribbling. Seriously, did you watch a single Spurs game past the first round?

"Best player on the team"...despite the fact that San Antonio didn't pull away from Miami until Kawhi stepped up in a way (on both ends of the floor) Parker never did nor was capable of doing in the finals. Duncan and Leonard's impact factoring in defense > Parker, and it's not even that close in the playoffs.

So Allen Iverson was the best player in the world in 2001 over peak Shaq and near-peak Duncan. Got it.

So Steve Nash was the best player in the world for 2 straight seasons over prime Duncan, Kobe, Wade, Lebron, etc.

I'm not even gonna bother writing out a big response to this. You're once again equating the Spurs' success with Tony Parker's game..which is the dumbest ****ing thing you can do if you watched a single minute of the playoffs, especially the WCF and Finals.
Yah I was at a lot of the games and still watched them afterwards, so yah I saw them. I know exactly how the Spurs offense works because I've been going to games since the 80's and don't miss games. I understand there are times when Parker dribbles too much, but if you understand how the Spurs can go cold, it makes sense. The reason you see Parker over dribbling is that he's the best creator on the Spurs BY FAR. When they're in "overpassing mode" and no one wants to take a shot, he backs up his dribble and goes one on one. Sometimes it works (G1 2013 Finals game-clincher...literally dribbled the ENTIRE shot clock out and drained the shot) and sometimes it doesn't. But his unbelievably high shooting % for a point guard lets you know that it works a good percentage of the time. Were not talking about a guy who shoots Chris Paul percentages or, God forbid, freaking Russell Westbrick numbers. That crap will secure never winning a championship...even if we did have the MVP. What we're actually talking about is a smart shooter who knows how to score when necessary.

It's like the hype every year here in SA when we get a shooting guard like (last year) Neal or (this year) Mills. There were LITERALLY people wanting Patty Mills to replace Parker. He AVERAGED 7.3/1.4 and people were acting like he was playing better than Parker (even though he was shooting much worse). Why? Simple. His shot looks better. And 3s are more "fun." Last year Gary Neal averaged 6.8/1.0...same guy.

And on all your MVP logic, thank you for proving my point. OF COURSE THOSE GUYS WERE TOP 5 AT THEIR POSITION.

For a challenge, give me some other examples of teams who would have been better without their best scorer and passer...

ninephive
08-01-2014, 08:01 PM
The TNT

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 08:03 PM
Not gonna write a long response to your bullshit arguments that you keep recycling..but I will say, ****ing LOL at using Charles Barkley as the big evidence behind your argument.

Tony Parker isn't a top 5 PG in the NBA right now, accept it and move on.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 08:06 PM
Bill Simmons 2013 Finals going into Game 7:

Tony Parker: A second Finals MVP (maybe), a guaranteed Hall of Fame spot, and the Best Point Guard Alive championship belt. That

navy
08-01-2014, 08:08 PM
Tony Parker has sacrificed alot of market value over the years and the salary cap is set to increase. If Duncan and Manu are retiring then it really doesnt matter what they pay Parker.

ninephive
Not gonna write a long response to your bullshit arguments that you keep recycling..but I will say, ****ing LOL at using Charles Barkley as the big evidence behind your argument.

Tony Parker isn't a top 5 PG in the NBA right now, accept it and move on.
Jalen Rose 2013 Twitter:

Hate it or love it...Parker IS the 3rd best player in the ENTIRE NBA. Period. Behind only LBJ & KD.

Milbuck
Bill Simmons 2013 Finals going into Game 7:

Tony Parker: A second Finals MVP (maybe), a guaranteed Hall of Fame spot, and the Best Point Guard Alive championship belt. That’s a fun list, by the way …

1946-52: Who The Hell Knows?
1952-60: Bob Cousy
1960-69: Oscar Robertson
1969-72: Walt Frazier
1972-73: Tiny Archibald
1973-74: Walt Frazier
1974-76: Tiny Archibald
1976-77: Pete Maravich5
1977-79: Gus Williams
1979-80: Micheal Ray Richardson6
1980-81: Tiny Archibald
1982-91: Magic Johnson
1991-92: Tim Hardaway
1992-94: John Stockton
1994-96: Penny Hardaway
1996-98: Gary Payton
1998-2004: Jason Kidd
2004-07: Steve Nash
2007-09: Chris Paul
2009-10: Steve Nash
2010-11: Derrick Rose
2011-12: Chris Paul
2012-13: Tony Parker
We're talking RIGHT NOW. Stop bringing up shit from the past.

Kobe Bryant is still the best shooting guard in the NBA, right? Or did something happen in the past 1-2 years?

Jalen Rose 2013 Twitter:

Hate it or love it...Parker IS the 3rd best player in the ENTIRE NBA. Period. Behind only LBJ & KD.
Again from last year. And once again, you're clinging onto the words of other people with zero argument of your own.

D-Rose
08-01-2014, 08:10 PM

Kobe Bryant is still the best shooting guard in the NBA, right? Or did something happen in the past 1-2 years?
So are you debating whether this contract was a good/fair deal...which everyone thinks it is....or are you still quibbling about his ranking as a PG in the league?

aboss4real24
08-01-2014, 08:10 PM

Again from last year. And once again, you're clinging onto the words of other people with zero argument of your own.

no thats james harden

who is better than every player that has plaeyed 4 da bucks franchishe in the last 35 years

ninephive
08-01-2014, 08:11 PM
Skip Bayless (TP or CP3?): Tony Parker
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJkWiWT3XRk

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 08:11 PM
So are you debating whether this contract was a good/fair deal...which everyone thinks it is....or are you still quibbling about his ranking as a PG in the league?
I don't give a shit about his contract. My discussion with ninephive was about Parker's (nonexistent) status as a top 5 PG.

People occasionally drift from the main premise of a thread/topic. Shocking, I know.

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 08:13 PM
So far ninephive has pulled up Skip Bayless, Charles Barkley, and Jalen Rose as his sources :oldlol:

Case ****ing closed.

Tony Parker is not a top 5 PG in the game right now.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 08:14 PM

I've given all the other arguments as well...you've acted like no one out there believes Tony Parker is a Top-5 point guard, so I'm giving you the names and references of people calling him THE BEST point guard in the league. Bayless, Barkley, Rose, Simmons...want more?

And yes, something did happen with Kobe Bryant: he tore his freaking ACL! What happened with Parker? He led the Spurs to another Championship. Good comparison!

ninephive
08-01-2014, 08:15 PM
So far ninephive has pulled up Skip Bayless, Charles Barkley, and Jalen Rose as his sources :oldlol:

Case ****ing closed.

Tony Parker is not a top 5 PG in the game right now.
And Bill Simmons...one of the best basketball journalists & historians of all time. So far, I've brought up former players, life-time basketball journalists, and writers. Who should I bring up? Your boy Ricky?

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 08:18 PM
I've given all the other arguments as well...you've acted like no one out there believes Tony Parker is a Top-5 point guard, so I'm giving you the names and references of people calling him THE BEST point guard in the league. Bayless, Barkley, Rose, Simmons...want more?

And yes, something did happen with Kobe Bryant: he tore his freaking ACL! What happened with Parker? He led the Spurs to another Championship. Good comparison!
I've never acted like that at all. I also think MJ is the GOAT. Doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the fact that many people think Kareem is the GOAT. You can bring up all the bullshit sources you want, it doesn't change anything. I can probably find a reporter who thinks Melo is the best SF in the game, it doesn't mean jack shit.

It was achilles. My point is, things change. Parker is just not the player he was last year..he didn't suffer any major injury or anything..but you're delusional if you think he's playing at the same level he was at during the 2012-13 season when he WAS a top 5 PG. Things change, and it's pretty obvious you can't see that.

And Parker "led" his team to a championship by getting his shit pushed in by a REAL top 5 PG in the conference finals and getting thoroughly outplayed on both ends of the floor by a 22 year old teammate.

TMT
08-01-2014, 08:25 PM
I think you're really reaching with this point you're trying to make about TP's over dribbling being such a constant issue for the Spurs during the playoffs, Millbuck. He made mistakes like that pretty rarely.

In my opinion people nowadays put too much emphasis on the skillsets and aesthetics of the game to rank players. Not to mention the overplayed hype for the Spurs system and lack of respect given of the players the actually out there on the floor whooping ass.

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 08:30 PM
I think you're really reaching with this point you're trying to make about TP's over dribbling being such a constant issue for the Spurs during the playoffs, Millbuck. He made mistakes like that pretty rarely.

I'm not reaching, it was a recurring theme in the playoffs with TP...to act like I'm pulling this all out of my ass is a blatant dismissal of what actually happened. It's not about making concrete mistakes you can see on the stat sheet like turnovers, missed shots, etc. It's about completely stopping ball movement, which is the focal point of San Antonio's offense. To really understand it you have to watch the games, especially the WCF and finals..reading box scores won't explain it thoroughly. You can't exactly measure the fluidity of an offense..but watching the game, you can see it clearly.

Ninephive just brought up Skip Bayless as a defender of Tony Parker...why not bring up how Skip - during this past finals series - clearly pointed out how San Antonio's offense ran smoother when TP wasn't playing dribble-dribble iso ball?

ninephive
08-01-2014, 08:34 PM
I've never acted like that at all. I also think MJ is the GOAT. Doesn't mean I'm oblivious to the fact that many people think Kareem is the GOAT. You can bring up all the bullshit sources you want, it doesn't change anything. I can probably find a reporter who thinks Melo is the best SF in the game, it doesn't mean jack shit.

It was achilles. My point is, things change. Parker is just not the player he was last year..he didn't suffer any major injury or anything..but you're delusional if you think he's playing at the same level he was at during the 2012-13 season when he WAS a top 5 PG. Things change, and it's pretty obvious you can't see that.

And Parker "led" his team to a championship by getting his shit pushed in by a REAL top 5 PG in the conference finals and getting thoroughly outplayed on both ends of the floor by a 22 year old teammate.
Fair enough...time will tell as usual and we'll see how Parker fairs with the summer off and some rest.

He didn't get "thoroughly outplayed." You're not getting "thoroughly outplayed" when you score more point and distribute the ball more than twice as much. Kawhi out-rebounded him, yes. And he was a better defender (even though the guy Kawhi guarded in Lebron averaged 28 PPG on incredible .571 shooting and the guys Parker guarded in Allen, Chalmers, and Cole averaged 9.8, 4.4, and 3.2 PPG on a collective .355 shooting).

I will concede Kawhi was the better overall player in the series (certainly not through the playoffs), but even in the Finals it was anything but "thorough."

You want to say Parker is not top 5, go ahead. Just know myself and lots of sports-writers are going to laugh at that notion when he's in the MVP discussion every season.

ninephive
08-01-2014, 08:42 PM
Some ESPN.com stuff:

"Better without him":

The Spurs outscore their opponents by 10.7 points per 100 possessions when Parker is on the court but that drops to 2.2 points per 100 possessions when he

ninephive
08-01-2014, 08:46 PM
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1653672-western-conference-finals-2013-tony-parker-proves-hes-nbas-best-postseason-pg

One-half of the 2013 NBA Finals has been set, as the San Antonio Spurs defeated the Memphis Grizzlies by a score of 93-86 Monday night to complete the series sweep. At the heart of the victory was point guard Tony Parker, who dominated from start to finish.

With the victory, Parker affirms his status as the NBA's best postseason point guard

aboss4real24
08-01-2014, 09:06 PM
Tony p will retire a spur

but hes nuthn more than a andre miller with speed

ninephive
08-01-2014, 09:06 PM
And just for the other side of the First Take crew:

Stephen A Smith: "He's the leader of this franchise."

ninephive
08-01-2014, 09:07 PM
Duncan:

"He's as good as anyone out there."

Milbuck
08-01-2014, 09:32 PM
Ninephive you aren't convincing anyone with your bullshit.

Listing team win % to prop up TP...and you're bringing up Tim Duncan as a source? Really? :oldlol:

Next up: Teammate Paul George on Roy Hibbert..."He's an All Star"

rmt
08-01-2014, 10:51 PM

Agreed. Parker had a great year last year - not this year. And in the playoffs, his dribbling put a dent in the ball movement that won them the championship. That said, I have no problem with this contract because he's been underpaid this past 4 years, so I see it as make-up. I'm bracing myself to see how much Leonard gets.

houston
08-02-2014, 12:58 AM
ninephive sums up this.

:oldlol: @ Tony Parker not a top 5 PG. really come on guys

D-Rose
08-02-2014, 01:02 AM
I don't give a shit about his contract. My discussion with ninephive was about Parker's (nonexistent) status as a top 5 PG.

People occasionally drift from the main premise of a thread/topic. Shocking, I know.
All in all, that's a pretty brainless and subjective argument to have. You're both wasting your time. Meanwhile, it doesn't even ****ing matter.

tpols
08-02-2014, 01:12 AM
Dude that is terrible logic. You understand that the Spurs were significantly better with Parker off the floor in the playoffs, right? He got dismantled so badly by Westbrook they sat him down. He missed his first 10 shots in the closeout game of the finals and his team was still destroying Miami.

And we need to stop propping him up because of the Spurs' success. He is playing for the GOAT coach in one of the GOAT offensive systems in NBA history..you can literally replace him with any other top 10 point guard and they would've probably won it all. I shudder to think how good CP3, Curry, Westbrook, Lillard, Rose, and Wall would be in the current Spurs' system.

He's a terrific player, and 2 years ago and even just last year, he was a top 5 PG. But with how Lillard and Wall have improved, with healthy Rose now coming back, and Parker himself hitting his decline..he's just not top 5. There's no shame in that either, considering how ridiculously stacked the position is today. He's still clearly top 10, but in this discussion right now and that CP3 v TP thread you made earlier, you are overrating the hell out of him based on what he has done in the past.

Tony Parker absolutely obliterated lilliard in the playoffs this year.. nobody would take a young pre-prime lilliard over a vet tony parker. Maybe one day lilliard will be better, but not today.

John wall:oldlol: :facepalm cmon man he hasnt proven shit yet. Hes dumb as a rock who knows if he'd be able to run the spurs offense like parker. WB is clearly a better individual talent than parker on 95% of teams, but again, hes dumb as fk. He would get benched under pop for one of the 20 different dumb things he does each game. Hes just raw talent.. he wouldnt even work at this age in pop's system as well as parker. For him to be effective hed kill their ball movement.

Rose:biggums: :facepalm no one knows how he is now.. he hasnt proven shit as far as this year coming up goes.

Only PG's ahead right now are WB, curry, and paul. thats it

qrich
08-02-2014, 01:36 AM
Good contract, considering the overpayment you see these days with the expected increase of the salary cap.

As far as Top 5 point, he is arguably in the list. Chris Paul, Stephen Curry and Russell Westbrook have the top 3 spots locked down, in any order you would prefer. Those three are the clear cut ALPHA's of their teams, as well.

Then comes John Wall, Damian Lillard and Derrick Rose. One mentioned Kyrie Irving, but I can't see that, honestly. If Bledsoe is healthy, I'd take his terrorizing defense over Kyrie. Not to mention Teague and Ty.

SCdac
08-02-2014, 01:50 AM
We can debate all these young up and comers all night, but Parker's combination of confidence, experience (knowing the Spurs' system/Pop/the league/what playoff pressure feels like, etc.), and clutch shooting is priceless. Well, it's in the millions, but you know what I mean. Some things can't be taught. But yea, Parker's midrange jumper is automatic at times and his range (nowadays) is solid despite not taking many three's, should be fine as he ages but who knows. I've been critical of him, but what I like is he's not afraid to take a big shot and he's used to taking them. And he's improved as a PG alot.

tpols
08-02-2014, 02:25 AM
We can debate all these young up and comers all night, but Parker's combination of confidence, experience (knowing the Spurs' system/Pop/the league/what playoff pressure feels like, etc.), and clutch shooting is priceless. Well, it's in the millions, but you know what I mean. Some things can't be taught. But yea, Parker's midrange jumper is automatic at times and his range (nowadays) is solid despite not taking many three's, should be fine as he ages but who knows. I've been critical of him, but what I like is he's not afraid to take a big shot and he's used to taking them. And he's improved as a PG alot.
:cheers: true spurs fans can see his worth. Shit I hate the spurs.. but TP has been money for a while. You guys shouldve had 2013 finals with those 3 shots he hit over the heat to come from behind. Should have 6 titles.. eh oh well. 5s good enough right...

Timmy D for MVP
08-02-2014, 02:34 AM
Genuinely bummed out I left before this thread took off. But I'd like to get a couple thoughts from Milbuck.

Are you basing the majority of your argument on this last playoffs past the Blazers series?

Who would you consider to be ahead of him as PGs?

What determines their value to be greater than his?

Milbuck
08-02-2014, 02:35 AM
Tony Parker absolutely obliterated lilliard in the playoffs this year.. nobody would take a young pre-prime lilliard over a vet tony parker. Maybe one day lilliard will be better, but not today.
The Spurs obliterated the Blazers.

Lillard put up 20/4/6/1 on 41% shooting. He was inefficient obviously, but to suggest he was "obliterated" is exaggerating completely. Especially when Parker himself only put up 18/2/5/1, albeit on better efficiency.

John wall:oldlol: :facepalm cmon man he hasnt proven shit yet. Hes dumb as a rock who knows if he'd be able to run the spurs offense like parker.
What offense is Tony Parker running exactly? The one where he dribbles around like a lunatic and his teammates just stand around with great spacing? And where they actually move the ball and become an offensive juggernaut when he's not trying to over-control?

He's a great point guard. But acting like he's some Nash-level passer/playmaker is just absurd, especially watching him throughout the WCF and finals. The Spurs were literally just as good if not better on offense without him, and I'm not even exaggerating. They obviously wouldn't be able to sustain it over the course of an 82 game season..but his offensive impact is widely overrated.

And John Wall put up 19/9 with great defense on a vastly less forgiving system than TP has with the Spurs. The defensive part especially..basketball is a 2-way sport, and Wall is so much better than TP on defense it's not even close.

Rose:biggums: :facepalm no one knows how he is now.. he hasnt proven shit as far as this year coming up goes.
We just saw him a few hours ago and he looked better than Parker did this past season. Of course it's not concrete because Rose hasn't played the season yet..but healthy Rose > Parker, and Rose is healthy. If you want to dismiss it, okay.

tpols
08-02-2014, 03:44 AM
The Spurs obliterated the Blazers.

Lillard put up 20/4/6/1 on 41% shooting. He was inefficient obviously, but to suggest he was "obliterated" is exaggerating completely. Especially when Parker himself only put up 18/2/5/1, albeit on better efficiency.

Parker was scoring and running the system at will vs portland. He came out with a 33 point 9 assist game on lilliard.. going a team high +27 for the spurs while Lilliard went 6 for 15 for 17 points in a blow out loss to open the series.

Next game.. they both shoot like shit.. both scoring less points than shot attempts. In game 3, basically to close the series out, Parker scores 29 on 20 shots with 6 assists while lilliard goes 7-21 from the field for 21 points with 9 assists... he simply couldnt execute like parker could. He was getting destroyed in efficiency damn near every game.

Parker set the tone to start the series.. completely shit on any confidence lilliard had from his start in round one.. to claim damien is better is crazy man.

What offense is Tony Parker running exactly? The one where he dribbles around like a lunatic and his teammates just stand around with great spacing? And where they actually move the ball and become an offensive juggernaut when he's not trying to over-control?

lol.. tony parker is the havoc creator on the team. Their offense wouldnt be nearly as unpredictable without parker's manuevering and penetrating. Otherwise theyd have little slashing to open the court up.

Yea parker was holding the spurs back... without him theyd be the 86 celtics on roids with steve nash level passing at every position:rolleyes:

He's a great point guard. But acting like he's some Nash-level passer/playmaker is just absurd, especially watching him throughout the WCF and finals. The Spurs were literally just as good if not better on offense without him, and I'm not even exaggerating. They obviously wouldn't be able to sustain it over the course of an 82 game season..but his offensive impact is widely overrated.

And John Wall put up 19/9 with great defense on a vastly less forgiving system than TP has with the Spurs. The defensive part especially..basketball is a 2-way sport, and Wall is so much better than TP on defense it's not even close.

We just saw him a few hours ago and he looked better than Parker did this past season. Of course it's not concrete because Rose hasn't played the season yet..but healthy Rose > Parker, and Rose is healthy. If you want to dismiss it, okay.

Wall is better than parker at defense.. so was jrue holiday when he dropped 18/8 for a playoff sixer team. Could either of them run a the BEST offense in the league from the point and make the decisions required to make shit run smoothly? Idk.. stats dont mean shit though.. john wall has never shown to be as good as parker has.

As far as Rose goes:lol he hasnt proven SHIT in the playoffs.. big game type stuff as parker has. He went MIA in the clutch in his only real playoff run during 2011. Parker right now is a far more established, proven, and reliable player.

GimmeThat
08-02-2014, 04:34 AM
with Parker, beating teams where the Spurs have mismatch to exploit is beneficial.

with Leonard, the Spurs have a much better chance at beating teams with length.

Diaw is 31 years old though, so while it's a 3 years extention, their competing window for about another 2 years sounds about right.

if they get bounced out early in that second year, don't be surprised if they sign some players just to get by the regular season for one last final push.

bdreason
08-02-2014, 04:38 AM
He's earned it and he's worth it.

Guys like Lillard and Wall are going to be great players... but I'll take Parker over those guys in a playoff series without hesitation.

Harison
08-02-2014, 04:40 AM
A bit overpaid but still worth it, plus as others said its a slight bonus for being underpaid for years.

JohnFreeman
08-02-2014, 04:48 AM
Overpaid.

BoutPractice
08-02-2014, 04:51 AM
Obviously not overpaid.

A player's value is not an absolute... a player has a certain value to a certain team.

The value to the Spurs of Tony Parker staying with them is probably much higher than what was paid to retain him.

Big#50
08-02-2014, 05:02 AM
3/35
That would have been better. He is not really important. He makes the Spurs offense worse. He does hit big shots all the time though. He is a top 5 pg. He is a Spur for life though. And I have to love him.

tpols
08-02-2014, 05:18 AM
The funny thing is since a lot of yall like to bring up defense and use drapm as overall impact...

2014 season defensive on/off

Tony Parker - +1.9
Chris Paul- +1.8
Stephen Curry- +.7
John Wall- +.8
Lillliard- -1.4

According to advanced stats.. parker was the best defensive point guard last year besides patrick beverly(a known stopper who exclusively focsues on defense).. so much for him having no impact outside of offense...

qrich
08-02-2014, 05:30 AM
2014 DWS:
Paul: 3.2
Parker: 1.9
Curry: 4.0
Lillard: 1.8
Wall: 4.0

2014 DRTG:
Paul: 103
Parker: 107
Curry: 104
Lillard: 110
Wall: 104

2014 Steals:
Paul: 2.5
Parker: 0.5
Curry: 1.6
Lillard: 0.8
Wall: 1.8

2014 Steals Per Turnover:
Paul: 2.3
Parker: 0.23
Curry: 0.42
Lillard: 0.33
Wall: 0.5

2014 Opponent Counterpart 48-Minute Production Per:
Paul: 13.4
Parker: 14.9
Curry: 13.9
Lillard: 17.2
Wall: 15.8

Interesting, not a single category where Parker is the best.

Also

:roll: @ Beverly being a defensive stopper.

SpanishACB
08-02-2014, 07:38 AM
show me a list of PGs that have better numbers all across in playoffs than they do in regular season

Purch
08-02-2014, 08:01 AM
From 2011-2013 when he was playing like an MVP candidate he was underpaid

TimmyDuncan
08-02-2014, 08:20 AM
With this contract It will get him to 17 years in the league and he has never been a Free Agent

davehos
08-02-2014, 10:47 AM
why are we talking about top 5 in general? spurs didn't even have anyone in the mvp race and still crushed miami by 14+ a game.

This. He makes the Spurs system work. He can collapse a defense which opens up the floor. That is huge for the Spurs.

davehos
08-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Interesting, not a single category where Parker is the best.

You forgot winning.

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 05:15 AM
RC, what have you done?

navy
02-23-2015, 01:18 PM
RC, what have you done?
Loyalty. Crazy how players are critized for not being loyal, but front offices can do whatever they want.

hawksdreamfan44
02-23-2015, 01:40 PM
Good for the Spurs. Even once Timmy D and Ginobili retire, Parker and Kawhi will keep the Spurs relevant for years to come!

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 01:42 PM
Loyalty. Crazy how players are critized for not being loyal, but front offices can do whatever they want.

The loyal thing to do would be to buy him out, tbh...

Alright, not really. :oldlol:

navy
02-23-2015, 02:16 PM
Good for the Spurs. Even once Timmy D and Ginobili retire, Parker and Kawhi will keep the Spurs relevant for years to come!
Parker looks older than Duncan to be honest

CP343
02-23-2015, 02:22 PM
Parker looks older than Duncan to be honest

Play wise, or just in the face?

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 02:36 PM
Play wise, or just in the face?

Pay wise, looks wise, basketball wise, body wise.

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 02:38 PM
Pay wise, looks wise, basketball wise, body wise.
How come Duncan has such a GOAT hairline at his age?

LONGTIME
02-23-2015, 02:43 PM

:oldlol:

UK2K
02-23-2015, 02:49 PM
Is it 2011?

Westbrook
Wall
Curry
Irving

Paul
Lillard

Teague
Lowry
Lawson
Parker

TP belongs in the third group. 1, 2....7. At best.

miles berg
02-23-2015, 02:50 PM

I would take Parker over Wall, Lillard, DRose, & Irving any day of the week.

BuffaloBill
02-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Is it 2011?

Westbrook
Wall
Curry
Irving

Paul
Lillard

Teague
Lowry
Lawson
Parker

lol wut

SugarHill
02-23-2015, 02:51 PM
Is it 2011?

Westbrook
Wall
Curry
Irving

Paul
Lillard

Teague
Lowry
Lawson
Parker

Why are you squeezing Wall and Kyrie into that first tier. I see you :coleman:

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 03:03 PM
How come Duncan has such a GOAT hairline at his age?

No idea. At least he's finally getting it done right now.

Rumor had it that his wife used to cut his hair. :biggums:

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 03:05 PM
Tony is ranked #79 of 81 Point Guards on ESPN's RPM list (with a -5.5 on defense).

Dude is honestly not in the top 30 PGs discussion right now (and he's the 3rd best on his team).

God I hope he bounces back. If he was being paid his worth (whatever Bonner+Ayres makes) then cool...but paying this guy $13 million to play like this. :biggums:

Rooster
02-23-2015, 03:08 PM
Tony is ranked #79 of 81 Point Guards on ESPN's RPM list (with a -5.5 on defense).

Dude is honestly not in the top 30 PGs discussion right now (and he's the 3rd best on his team).

God I hope he bounces back. If he was being paid his worth (whatever Bonner+Ayres makes) then cool...but paying this guy $13 million to play like this. :biggums:

Is he hurt? If he's not a threat out there, Spurs won't get out of the first round.

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 03:10 PM
Is he hurt? If he's not a threat out there, Spurs won't get out of the first round.

Definitely part of it...but Spurs fans have been using it as a crutch for years (when has he not had hamstring issues?)

It's not like he visibly looks injured out there...he just looks fat and out of shape, and he's doing his infamous over-dribbling routine with piss poor defense and selfish attitude (see: gif below).

I agree that we need him back to make noise (we'll only win if he manages to re-establish himself as a top 5 or 6 Spur).

http://i.imgur.com/ic0ZMVx.gif

http://i.imgur.com/ORPO092.jpg

^While Tim and Manu suck the invisible dick that is the San Antonio Spurs, Parker's moth stays closed.

RRR3
02-23-2015, 03:33 PM
GOATbrook: 26/6/8/2/0 on 44/29/84 in 33 MPG :bowdown:

Curry: 24/5/8/2/0 on 48/40/90 in 33 MPG :bowdown:

CP3: 18/5/10/2/0 on 47/38/88 in 35 MPG

Wall: 17/4/10/2/1 on 46/30/77 in 36 MPG

Kyrie: 22/3/5/2/0 on 47/41/85 in 37 MPG

Lillard: 21/5/6/1/0 on 43/34/86 in 36 MPG

Lowry: 18/5/7/2/0 on 42/33/80 in 35 MPG

Parker: 14/2/5/1/0 on 47/49/82 in 29 MPG

"Best Pg in da league doe"

T_L_P
02-23-2015, 03:37 PM
GOATbrook: 26/6/8/2/0 on 44/29/84 in 33 MPG :bowdown:

Curry: 24/5/8/2/0 on 48/40/90 in 33 MPG :bowdown:

CP3: 18/5/10/2/0 on 47/38/88 in 35 MPG

Wall: 17/4/10/2/1 on 46/30/77 in 36 MPG

Kyrie: 22/3/5/2/0 on 47/41/85 in 37 MPG

Lillard: 21/5/6/1/0 on 43/34/86 in 36 MPG

Lowry: 18/5/7/2/0 on 42/33/80 in 35 MPG

Parker: 14/2/5/1/0 on 47/49/82 in 29 MPG

"Best Pg in da league doe"

And none of the above players are in the convo of worst defensive PG in the league (aside from 'Rique).

RRR3
02-23-2015, 03:41 PM
And none of the above players are in the convo of worst defensive PG in the league (aside from 'Rique).
Who a rique?