PDA

View Full Version : How can Team USA recover from this?

Dr.J4ever
08-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Paul George was suppose to be our athletic, long, defensive guard, who could also shoot the 3, and stop a hot player on the other side. So now, who in the national pool can replace what he brings?

Cocaine80s
08-02-2014, 12:02 AM
Maybe Kawhi decides to come back

SamuraiSWISH
08-02-2014, 12:03 AM
Maybe it pulls them all together, making their bond stronger.

UK2K
08-02-2014, 12:04 AM
If Im the stars of this league (Durant/Harden/Rose/Lillard/Cousins) I quit right now.

No point in risking it now.

kurt_rambis
08-02-2014, 12:08 AM
If Im the stars of this league (Durant/Harden/Rose/Lillard/Cousins) I quit right now.

i'd bet they're seriously considering it. if it were the Olympics, it would be a different story, but a lot of these guys are only halfway in on FIBA anyway. derrick rose has gotta be freaking out right now

Dr.J4ever
08-02-2014, 12:09 AM

I really hope that's not what their thinking, but I'm sure this kind of injury could plant a seed of doubt in everything they are doing.

Things like, " is this all worth it?", and "WTF am I doing here?".

I hope not, or this could be the end of US superiority in international basketball.:(

SamuraiSWISH
08-02-2014, 12:11 AM
It's a freak injury, but you can't live for your life on the court in fear. That's how bad injuries happen anyway, when you're overly cautious. If this injury keeps them out of the tournament, they have to realize it could happen in practice, or whenever.

UK2K
08-02-2014, 12:13 AM
i'd bet they're seriously considering it. if it were the Olympics, it would be a different story, but a lot of these guys are only halfway in on FIBA anyway. derrick rose has gotta be freaking out right now

Do they even get paid for this?

I love this country for all Im worth and put in work overseas, but if I am one of the big names, no way do I risk an injury for this. Not even for the Olympics.

JohnFreeman
08-02-2014, 12:14 AM
Millsap

LAZERUSS
08-02-2014, 12:14 AM
The thing is...most of these guys just finished a long season, including the playoffs. And now they are going thru this grind, and then the NBA exhibition season is right around the corner. They could essentially be playing two straight non-stop seasons.

If I am an NBA owner, this is the final straw. I need to protect my investment, and sorry, they won't be playing in these events any longer.

Dr.J4ever
08-02-2014, 12:20 AM
The thing is...most of these guys just finished a long season, including the playoffs. And now they are going thru this grind, and then the NBA exhibition season is right around the corner. They could essentially be playing two straight non-stop seasons.

If I am an NBA owner, this is the final straw. I need to protect my investment, and sorry, they won't be playing in these events any longer.

It will be interesting to see league wide reactions from front offices in the next few days. It could go in two ways.

One reaction would be unity and patriotism. A sense of mission, and a general consensus to move forward and sacrifice for the country.

The other reaction is everyone starts counting the cost to each team in the NBA, and the NBA as a whole. Maybe Marc Cuban's ideas start to get stronger about the NBA organizing these events, and the NBA only. No more FIBA play for NBA players. A possible sea change?

Yankstar
08-02-2014, 12:21 AM
Spain is washed up. A USA team with just Durant and role players could take out the championship :cheers:

Dr.J4ever
08-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Millsap

Can Milsap defend guards?

MavsPoke
08-02-2014, 12:33 AM
It's a freak injury, but you can't live for your life on the court in fear.

Yup. Glad these guys are so much tougher mentally than 99% of the dorks posting crap on forums.

Team USA will deal with this injury and move on and be OK.

Paul George will do the same. He got his extension and with a lot of support he will recover. It's just gonna take time.

It really sucks for the Pacer fans. If I were one I would be sick right now thinking of the season they could have had.

NuggetsFan
08-02-2014, 12:37 AM

Same shit happens with the NHL. Guy's get hurt in international competition, everybody freaks, things go back to normal. I'm sure if every owner, GM had it there way they'd hold out there guys. Players are always going to want to rep there country. Guy's like LeBron can skip FIBA, he's an Olympic lock.

Lots of these dudes need to play FIBA and get to know the program to help there chances at making the gold team. Great tournaments go along way. Not to mention the extra development, playing with other great players etc.

MUGEN
08-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Issue is they didn't have enough rest either. Not in between the post season and start of the camp nor during the camp. It's messed up

The biggest issue they face now is the pressure on their mentality

JohnFreeman
08-02-2014, 12:39 AM
Can Milsap defend guards?
He would be great to stretch the floor

LAZERUSS
08-02-2014, 12:45 AM
If I'm the Bulls' ownership, I am sending Rose home right now.

Yankstar
08-02-2014, 12:48 AM

A couple years too late :applause:

D-Rose
08-02-2014, 12:50 AM
This mentality is like the people who never leave the house because it's too dangerous out there in the world.

This kind of stuff can happen anywhere. This was a freak accident, not something that will create a trend.

Dr.J4ever
08-02-2014, 01:08 AM
Issue is they didn't have enough rest either. Not in between the post season and start of the camp nor during the camp. It's messed up

The biggest issue they face now is the pressure on their mentality

This.

In another thread, Woj supposedly said that the feeling among NBA Gm's is that this could be a game changer.

Could that mean that this is a game changer now? As in the NBA stars come home? Probably not, but this could affect morale among the troops, so to say.

Dr.J4ever
08-02-2014, 09:22 PM
I knew it. Mark Cuban with the reaction from the George injury:

"The (International Olympic Committee) is playing the NBA. The IOC is an organization that has been rife with corruption, to the point where a member was accused of trying to fix an Olympic event in Salt Lake. The IOC (pulls in) billions of dollars. They make a killing and make Tony Soprano look like a saint.

"The pros in multiple sports are smart enough to not play when they are eligible free agents. But teams take on huge financial risk so that the IOC committee members can line their pockets.

"The greatest trick ever played was the IOC convincing the world that the Olympics were about patriotism and national pride instead of money. The players and owners should get together and create our own World Cup of Basketball."

Fire Colangelo
08-02-2014, 10:12 PM
It's a freak injury. Guys get injured at the gym too, guess they should stop working out.

Didn't Kevin Love break his hands doing pushups or something...?

oh and that sleeping injury kevin love had :lol

Frozen1
08-02-2014, 10:22 PM
LOL some of these guys are on vacation for more than 2 months now and people pull the "they need to rest" card.

Legends66NBA7
08-02-2014, 10:32 PM
Paul George was suppose to be our athletic, long, defensive guard, who could also shoot the 3, and stop a hot player on the other side. So now, who in the national pool can replace what he brings?

From just the footage and feedback of the scrimmage, I can see them starting DeMar DeRozan.

Fire Colangelo
08-02-2014, 10:49 PM
From just the footage and feedback of the scrimmage, I can see them starting DeMar DeRozan.

Maybe DeRozan will break out this year.... like George did last year.

Done_And_Done
08-02-2014, 10:52 PM
They're still far and above the most talented team on the international scale. He's a difficult player to replace but the loss of any athlete on team USA doesn't affect their status of being the best in the world.

Legends66NBA7
08-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Maybe DeRozan will break out this year.... like George did last year.

Thought he broke out last year, to be honest.

Or do you mean as an elite 2 way player ?

jzek
08-02-2014, 10:56 PM
If we're so good at basketball, why do we need to send our top-tier guys? :confusedshrug:

Maybe Euroleague is right after all...

deja vu
08-02-2014, 11:09 PM
IMO, USA Basketball should concentrate on the FIBA WC and leave the Olympics to under-23s or college guys.

Yankstar
08-02-2014, 11:32 PM
They're still far and above the most talented team on the international scale. He's a difficult player to replace but the loss of any athlete on team USA doesn't affect their status of being the best in the world.

Call up Lebron, shame his ass for being unable to be injured and get him to replace PG :applause:

Dr.J4ever
08-03-2014, 12:30 AM

He's a career .267 shooter from 3, and last year was his best year shooting .305.

tgan3
08-03-2014, 12:46 AM
Do they even get paid for this?

I love this country for all Im worth and put in work overseas, but if I am one of the big names, no way do I risk an injury for this. Not even for the Olympics.

I don't get it. this is a freak injury, could happen anywhere anytime. It can happen like now, or even in a NBA game. There's no point saying let's not play in the tournament and risk injury when in the NBA regular season you also have to practice and play through 82 games.

Its like saying let's not even step out of the house lest you want to get striked by lighting. Get what im saying?

bdreason
08-03-2014, 12:52 AM
Durant will be asked to focus more on defense. We have plenty of guys to score the ball.

Dr.J4ever
08-03-2014, 12:59 AM
I don't get it. this is a freak injury, could happen anywhere anytime. It can happen like now, or even in a NBA game. There's no point saying let's not play in the tournament and risk injury when in the NBA regular season you also have to practice and play through 82 games.

Its like saying let's not even step out of the house lest you want to get striked by lighting. Get what im saying?

The difference is the NBA and the teams own these star players while under contract. If you owned an NBA team, and held the rights to Durant's contract, would you want your franchise player risking injury in some event you won't even make money out of like the Olympics or World Cup?

Milbuck
It sucks, and he brings a very valuable skill set..but they're still far and away the most talented squad. I still think the starting lineup should have a traditional PF and C at those spots..they can experiment from there on, but with PG gone you can only play KD there for so long until he wears down and/or opposing bigs become overwhelming (Spain).

I'd start Davis and Cousins together.

Rose/Lillard/Irving
Curry/Harden/Derozan
Durant/Derozan/Parsons
Davis/Parsons/Durant
Cousins/Drummond/Plumlee

I like that. That starting lineup still has a shitton of offense and shooting, while still being huge in the front court. Aside from that starting lineup they can split backup 4 minutes between Durant, Parsons, and even Cousins.

Sarcastic

Maybe they should stop playing basketball altogether. An injury like that could happen on any basketball court in the world.

Only way I would pull out is I didn't have a long term guaranteed contract. Luckily most of them do.

Lebron23
08-03-2014, 01:01 AM
Bring back Rudy Gay or Iggy Pop.

Dr.J4ever
08-03-2014, 01:10 AM
It sucks, and he brings a very valuable skill set..but they're still far and away the most talented squad. I still think the starting lineup should have a traditional PF and C at those spots..they can experiment from there on, but with PG gone you can only play KD there for so long until he wears down and/or opposing bigs become overwhelming (Spain).

I'd start Davis and Cousins together.

Rose/Lillard/Irving
Curry/Harden/Derozan
Durant/Derozan/Parsons
Davis/Parsons/Durant
Cousins/Drummond/Plumlee

I like that. That starting lineup still has a shitton of offense and shooting, while still being huge in the front court. Aside from that starting lineup they can split backup 4 minutes between Durant, Parsons, and even Cousins.

The thing is there are many NTs with big backcourts from Europe. FIBA play allows much more physicality on the perimeter. I'm worried that a Curry/Rose backcourt is too small defensively.

I know about Davis' defense, but how good a defender is Cousins if you are starting him vs.Spain?

Milbuck
08-03-2014, 01:18 AM
The thing is there are many NTs with big backcourts from Europe. FIBA play allows much more physicality on the perimeter. I'm worried that a Curry/Rose backcourt is too small defensively.

I know about Davis' defense, but how good a defender is Cousins if you are starting him vs.Spain?
Yeah, that's another concern with PG out. I guess they could start Harden or Derozan, with Curry splitting minutes between garbage time PG and backup or 3rd string SG.

And Cousins isn't an elite defender, but if nothing else he's a big body to throw at guys like the Gasol bros. And under the circumstances and with Thibs there I think Cousins will at least put forth his best effort. Davis is a monster defensively but he alone at the C is gonna get worn down if his partner there is a skinny 3 like KD or Parsons. That's why they should have a traditional PF/C duo to lean on, and they can experiment with small ball when they don't need the size. I know Team USA has been reliant on 3s playing stretch 4..but I'm just concerned about KD playing big minutes at the 4.

EDIT: I totally forgot about Klay Thompson..wow. Definitely start him, he's the perfect combination of offense (specifically shooting) and defense for the team. So I guess that'd bump Plumlee out as 3rd string C?

Rose/Lillard/Irving
Thompson/Harden/Curry
Durant/Derozan/Parsons
Davis/Durant/Parsons
Cousins/Drummond/Davis

Don't see many weaknesses there. Especially with the backup lineup..Drummond is huge, athletic, and great defensively. If anyone on the squad can compensate for having a skinny 3 playing stretch 4 (Durant, Parsons)..it's Drummond.

Legends66NBA7
08-03-2014, 01:32 AM
He's a career .267 shooter from 3, and last year was his best year shooting .305.

That's the NBA 3 point line.

The FIBA 3 point line is shorter and DeMar is much better at that range.

TheReal Kendall
08-03-2014, 01:37 AM
How can the Pacers recover from this? This should be the real question.

Lebron23
08-03-2014, 01:39 AM
Call up Lebron, shame his ass for being unable to be injured and get him to replace PG :applause:

Lebron's playing for the US National team since he was 19 yrs.old.

Lebron23
08-03-2014, 01:40 AM

Pacers wins the NBA Draft Lottery.

http://www.slamonline.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/Emmanuel-Mudiay_81051.jpg

Milbuck
08-03-2014, 01:46 AM
They could either completely tear it down and rebuild, so get rid of West, possibly Hibbert depending on his market, and pretty much anyone else who doesn't have a long-term future there..and try to play the draft next year and/or free up room to build through free agency next summer around PG. Or, this could light a fire under all their asses, everyone steps up and they hold down the fort until PG comes back..meaning, Hill/Stuckey/Copeland/West/Hibbert and guys on the bench like Scola, CJ Watson, CJ Miles, Mahinmi, etc all step up. I still think if everyone plays well, they could win 40-45 games and make the playoffs.

Either way it's not looking good..losing Lance is looking absolutely devastating right now. I would keep Hibbert, get rid of West and Hill..make a strong push for Rondo or Bledsoe. PG should be able to come back 100% considering the details of his injury. If Hibbert can return to respectable form..a Rondo(or Bledsoe)/PG/Hibbert trio is not bad at all, certainly not in the East.

Sarcastic
08-03-2014, 01:47 AM
The difference is the NBA and the teams own these star players while under contract. If you owned an NBA team, and held the rights to Durant's contract, would you want your franchise player risking injury in some event you won't even make money out of like the Olympics or World Cup?

Poor choice of words. The owners don't own the players at all. They own teams. Players have "love of the game" clauses in their contracts, meaning they can play basketball on any court at any time during the year.

You'd have a point if they were playing football or hockey.

Dr.J4ever
08-03-2014, 02:31 AM
Poor choice of words. The owners don't own the players at all. They own teams. Players have "love of the game" clauses in their contracts, meaning they can play basketball on any court at any time during the year.

You'd have a point if they were playing football or hockey.

I know about the "love of the game" clause, and I agree players have a right to play for their country. Fiba and the NBA have come to an agreement on the rules governing NBA player participation in these events.

My original point is and the question I was posing to anyone here is : if YOU WERE AN NBA FRANCHISE OWNER, would you want your franchise player playing in these events?

Owners basically aren't getting anything out of this, except maybe some publicity. Sometimes, a young KD in the 2010 Worlds benefits your franchise by having him learn the ropes with Coach K and Team USA, but when your top player is now a veteran, having logged tons of minutes in the regular season and playoffs, there is not much benefit to see him out there if you are an owner.

If KD gets injured and loses one season, for example, OKC's done as a title contender this year.

Now, if you were an owner, is this a risk you are willing to live with?

Sarcastic
08-03-2014, 02:49 AM
I know about the "love of the game" clause, and I agree players have a right to play for their country. Fiba and the NBA have come to an agreement on the rules governing NBA player participation in these events.

My original point is and the question I was posing to anyone here is : if YOU WERE AN NBA FRANCHISE OWNER, would you want your franchise player playing in these events?

Owners basically aren't getting anything out of this, except maybe some publicity. Sometimes, a young KD in the 2010 Worlds benefits your franchise by having him learn the ropes with Coach K and Team USA, but when your top player is now a veteran, having logged tons of minutes in the regular season and playoffs, there is not much benefit to see him out there if you are an owner.

If KD gets injured and loses one season, for example, OKC's done as a title contender this year.

Now, if you were an owner, is this a risk you are willing to live with?

It's not really their choice. They don't OWN them. The players aren't slaves.

The owners PROFIT off the players from September till June. If 3 months go by where someone else profits off the players, will you be able to sleep?