PDA

View Full Version : Why is no one batting an eye @ Chandler Parsons getting $15m/yr??

Darius
08-02-2014, 12:08 PM
This roleplayer signs for $15m/year and no one bats an eye.

I've never seen this dude do anything beyond be a good roleplayer. I figure I'd watch him a little more closely to at the world scrimmage and even in that loose format he shows no ability to create for others or pressure defenses beyond the simplist drive and dish.

Anyone care to explain this to me?

russwest0
08-02-2014, 12:11 PM
Because the Mavericks only have like a 3 year window to compete anyways, so it's not like overpaying a bit to increase their title odds is going to do them much harm.

bagelred
Because Mavs had cap space they weren't going to use anyway, so they don't care. And Dirk took a ridiculous paycut...why, I have no idea....its crazy how little Dirk is making.

So....no one cares. Plus he's an American white guy. Those guys always make more than their black counterparts.

rezznor
Men always make bad decisions with their *****. Once Cuban met Parsons in person he stopped thinking with his head.

Smook A.
08-02-2014, 12:12 PM
It's really hard to get a restricted free agent if you don't overpay them. The Mavericks really wanted him so they made the type of offer Houston would most likely not match.

STATUTORY
08-02-2014, 12:17 PM
chandler parsons is not a roleplayer, borderline top 8 SF without harden hogging all the shots

kid has length, athleticism, wet stroke, able to play defense, court vision and a killer smile

15 million is a deal for that package

Darius
08-02-2014, 12:18 PM
Men always make bad decisions with their *****. Once Cuban met Parsons in person he stopped thinking with his head.

:oldlol:

I suppose I understand if it's more of a pragmatic financial decision as opposed to a talent driven one.

Still I wonder how a guy like Stephenson (a better player) would look on the mavs at a far lower price tag.

Dallas is a big market city and is pretty nice I'm suprised they have to overpay guys that much to get them.

Derka
08-02-2014, 12:20 PM
Because this is the NBA and overpaying is what these teams do.

kurple
08-02-2014, 12:33 PM
I feel sorry for the mavs, people getting way to high expectations

But they can afford to overpay with the steal they get with dirk

StephHamann
08-02-2014, 12:49 PM
If Dirk took 15 and Parsons 8 no one would complain, so who cares?

Bryant is making 25M for nothing

HomieWeMajor
08-02-2014, 12:51 PM
Cos Parsons is getting paid over the table and Cuban is getting paid under it.

Cone
08-02-2014, 01:39 PM
:oldlol:

I suppose I understand if it's more of a pragmatic financial decision as opposed to a talent driven one.

Still I wonder how a guy like Stephenson (a better player) would look on the mavs at a far lower price tag.

Dallas is a big market city and is pretty nice I'm suprised they have to overpay guys that much to get them.

they overpaid because morey would have matched any offer lower than what they gave. has nothing to do with their city

and this deal isnt that bad simply because dirk and parsons are a combined 25 mil. plus, they think parsons has a lot of potential. i believe rick carlisle can get the most out of him

Cone
08-02-2014, 01:41 PM
I feel sorry for the mavs, people getting way to high expectations

But they can afford to overpay with the steal they get with dirk

dont be sorry for them. they are looking very good. top 6 team no doubt

tomtucker
08-02-2014, 01:44 PM
because of this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQlFOHjzrtY

:bowdown: :eek: :pimp: :pimp: .

bdreason
08-02-2014, 03:39 PM
Everyone has said he's overpaid. Him and Hayward both made out like bandits.

flipogb
08-02-2014, 03:42 PM
you know the term "looking like a million bucks" ?

lets be honest, its because Parsons looks like 15 million bucks

DMAVS41
08-02-2014, 03:47 PM
Because Mavs had cap space they weren't going to use anyway, so they don't care. And Dirk took a ridiculous paycut...why, I have no idea....its crazy how little Dirk is making.

So....no one cares. Plus he's an American white guy. Those guys always make more than their black counterparts.

What?

we would have still used the cap space. We just like Parsons a lot. I'm not sold on him, but we'll see.

Akrazotile
08-02-2014, 03:56 PM
Hes not worth that money in terms of performance, but there werent many better options. They had to overpay to get the Rockets to pass on matching.

Disappointed they didnt bring back Marion though.

ALBballer
08-02-2014, 03:58 PM
Well a few things:

1) Mavs had to make an offer the Rockets would not match. 3 year/30 million is probably his market value and the Rockets would have probably matched that offer. If Parsons was an UFA he would have received less.

2) Dirk took a paycut so the Mavs had money to spare

3) Mavs are banking on his "potential"

Hayward got paid on similar reasons. Iggy got 4 yr/48 million last year and Tyreke Evenas got 4 year/44 million.

DMAVS41
08-02-2014, 03:59 PM
Hes not worth that money in terms of performance, but there werent many better options. They had to overpay to get the Rockets to pass on matching.

Disappointed they didnt bring back Marion though.

Well, there were better options right now, but we are clearly high on Parsons long term.

I think Carter will be sorely missed, but he's obviously older.

I'm pretty sure we could have fit in Thomas, Ariza, and Blair for the price of Parsons.

It just depends on how long Dirk stays around and how good Parsons becomes.

The Nelson signing and the fact that Chandler/Wright both expire make me think Parsons might ultimately be the best move, but luckily we get to find out in the coming months.

Kblaze8855
08-02-2014, 04:05 PM
GMs/owners do it to themsves year after year then blame the system.

Max contracts(whatever the max is for your experience) should be reserved for elite player. But as long as another team will pay it...you have to pay it.

And if they call eachother and set a behind the scenes limit...it would be illegal and the players would sue...and win.

They just have to be reasonable...which is asking too much.

Akrazotile
08-02-2014, 04:12 PM
GMs/owners do it to themsves year after year then blame the system.

Max contracts(whatever the max is for your experience) should be reserved for elite player. But as long as another team will pay it...you have to pay it.

And if they call eachother and set a behind the scenes limit...it would be illegal and the players would sue...and win.

They just have to be reasonable...which is asking too much.

Part of the reason guys like Gay, Iguodala, Melo get big max contracts is bc theyre at least considered entertainment draws. If theyre your only star, as each one was when they got a big contract, they have a lot of financial leverage. If they leave, it hurts the box office. I think thats a big reason why guys get contracts that sometimes seem like a headscratcher in terms of on-court value.

UK2K
08-02-2014, 04:14 PM
So the owners can complain about it at the next CBA.

ILLsmak
08-02-2014, 05:08 PM
because of this:

osobeta. Has to look at her picture in a magazine to make a comment.

-Smak

NumberSix
08-02-2014, 05:12 PM
He's definitely not worth that much.

stalkerforlife
08-02-2014, 05:24 PM
Lots of players are overpaid, but why focus on Parsons, a dude that can ball?

Parsons is the real deal.

oarabbus
08-02-2014, 05:38 PM
This roleplayer signs for $15m/year and no one bats an eye.

I've never seen this dude do anything beyond be a good roleplayer. I figure I'd watch him a little more closely to at the world scrimmage and even in that loose format he shows no ability to create for others or pressure defenses beyond the simplist drive and dish.

Anyone care to explain this to me?

I dont think so man. I was trashing the contract after he signed, a lot of people were.

dannywpt
08-02-2014, 05:45 PM
because of this:

:bowdown:

rmt
08-02-2014, 08:25 PM
chandler parsons is not a roleplayer, borderline top 8 SF without harden hogging all the shots

kid has length, athleticism, wet stroke, able to play defense, court vision and a killer smile

15 million is a deal for that package

What is Leonard gonna get then? Killer smile? - most NBA fans are male.

Optimus Prime
08-02-2014, 08:28 PM
It's too much for Parson. But he is a nice young player who should only get better. It takes him away from a division rival. The Mavs have been striking out on their free agent targets for years, so they needed this win.

Kidbasketball20
08-02-2014, 08:56 PM
Parsons did less with his role in Houston than Lin did with his in Houston. And Lin's role was a terrible match for him, and Parsons had everything basically handed to him on a silver platter.

Lin >>> Parsons

LakersFan626
08-02-2014, 10:15 PM
they overpaid because morey would have matched any offer lower than what they gave. has nothing to do with their city

and this deal isnt that bad simply because dirk and parsons are a combined 25 mil. plus, they think parsons has a lot of potential. i believe rick carlisle can get the most out of him

This. Carlisle actually made Monta Ellis a team player!

Parsons is more than just a role player, as he can create his own shot and is a very good three point shooter. His numbers were just above role player level too.

Hotlantadude81
08-02-2014, 10:19 PM
Because the Mavericks only have like a 3 year window to compete anyways, so it's not like overpaying a bit to increase their title odds is going to do them much harm.

Yep.

UK2K
08-02-2014, 11:41 PM
This. Carlisle actually made Monta Ellis a team player!

Parsons is more than just a role player, as he can create his own shot and is a very good three point shooter. His numbers were just above role player level too.
Parsons does the exact opposite of create his own shot.

How many times have you actually watched him play? I'm guessing never because that's one of the biggest knocks on him.

TheBigVeto
08-03-2014, 10:41 PM
He will be the next coming of Dr J.

noob cake
08-03-2014, 10:43 PM

:bowdown: :bowdown:

Collie
08-03-2014, 11:03 PM
It's too much, but forgivable. He was a 17-6-4 player last year as a 3rd option, and he's still pretty young. Compared to Rashard getting like 20m as an aging "star", definitely more platable.

stalkerforlife
08-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Parsons does the exact opposite of create his own shot.

How many times have you actually watched him play? I'm guessing never because that's one of the biggest knocks on him.

I'm guessing you're the one that hasn't seen him play.

He can without a doubt create his own shot.

backb0ard
08-04-2014, 12:00 AM
Mavs get someone who can facilitate and at the same time make a division rival worse.

That move alone could get them +1 or 2 wins, big for a team that wants to contend in the west.

dubeta
08-04-2014, 12:04 AM
GM's overpay and then ask for all of it back during collective bargaining

seems so stupid :facepalm

why limit salary when you can just offer less during free agency?

sejoon101
08-04-2014, 12:07 AM
And nikkas have the nerve to talk slick about Tony Parker's contrract.

ottooooooo
08-04-2014, 12:08 AM
cause "batting an eye" is something f.ags do

UK2K
08-04-2014, 12:26 AM
I'm guessing you're the one that hasn't seen him play.

He can without a doubt create his own shot.
"Because of this limited quickness, one can be fairly certain Parsons will never be able to create off the dribble, an almost requisite trait for

Brook(lyn)Lopez
08-04-2014, 12:31 AM
Because this is America and white guys get paid all the time.

stalkerforlife
08-04-2014, 12:33 AM
[QUOTE=UK2K]"Because of this limited quickness, one can be fairly certain Parsons will never be able to create off the dribble, an almost requisite trait for

UK2K
08-04-2014, 12:47 AM
Watch. The. Games. Stop. Being. A. Sheep. Think. For. Yourself.
Since I watched damn near every Rockets game the past two seasons...

You're right. I need to watch more.

How many did you watch?

tomtucker
08-04-2014, 02:04 AM
Mavs get someone who can facialize and at the same time make a division rival worse.

That move alone could get them +1 or 2 wins, big for a team that wants to contend in the west.

:eek: :biggums:

backb0ard
08-04-2014, 03:09 AM
:eek: :biggums:
:durantunimpressed:

You guys want to see someone who can't create, watch Ariza.

Ball should only touch his hands for a maximum of 4 seconds per game.

UK2K
08-04-2014, 03:32 AM
:durantunimpressed:

You guys want to see someone who can't create, watch Ariza.

Ball should only touch his hands for a maximum of 4 seconds per game.
His game is similar to Parsons. Less athletic. Better shooter. Better defender.

That's why trading Parsons for Ariza wasn't a killer. What will kill the Rockets is losing Lin and Asik and not replacing them with a sixth man or a reliable backup post player.

ImKobe
08-04-2014, 03:37 AM
Because guys like Gordon Hayward get 63 mil over 4 yrs

Darius
08-04-2014, 09:37 AM
It's too much, but forgivable. He was a 17-6-4 player last year as a 3rd option, and he's still pretty young. Compared to Rashard getting like 20m as an aging "star", definitely more platable.

Lmao you know it's bad when you have to break out the Rashard Lewis deal to make it look good.

ralph_i_el
08-04-2014, 10:45 AM
His game is similar to Parsons. Less athletic. Better shooter. Better defender.

That's why trading Parsons for Ariza wasn't a killer. What will kill the Rockets is losing Lin and Asik and not replacing them with a sixth man or a reliable backup post player.
The difference between parsons and ariza's game (and the reason why one gets paid a lot more) is that Parsons can dribble! Trevor Ariza has one of the worst handles for any wing in the league. Completely brutal to watch. NO juice off the bounce.

ralph_i_el
08-04-2014, 10:49 AM
[QUOTE=UK2K]"Because of this limited quickness, one can be fairly certain Parsons will never be able to create off the dribble, an almost requisite trait for