PDA

View Full Version : What's Worse: PG or Rose's Injury?

lbj4kb8
08-02-2014, 02:04 PM
I haven't seen the video of PG's injury but did see a screenshot of it. Horrific injury and I can only imagine the pain PG went through. From the reports he'll most likely be out for the year. A broken bone(s) sound pretty bad and looked gruesome but was it more of a risk for career-ending injury as Rose's injury? I guess my question to ISH is: if you had to suffer an injury which of the two would you rather take? Broken bone or ACL tear?

JohnMax
08-02-2014, 02:12 PM
ACL tear

not as traumatic

Milbuck
08-02-2014, 02:19 PM
Rose's ACL tear was worse. Clean break for PG's compound fracture, they just said there was no additional ligament/tendon damage, which is great news considering what could've happened. They're gonna keep PG out for the whole season, as they should, but if all goes well he should be fine.

lbj4kb8
08-02-2014, 02:19 PM
ACL tear

not as traumatic

I haven't had either injury thank God but did PG's injury look more painful? I don't know if I can bear pain like that without passing out. In the long run the ACL would be more difficult to overcome but the initial pain wouldn't hurt as bad. My assumptions.

JohnMax
08-02-2014, 02:21 PM
I'll take a broken arm over leg

M47
08-02-2014, 02:25 PM
How the he'll was Paul George so calm during the fifteen minutes of waiting there after breaking it? I'd be crying if that happened to me. Hopefully he comes back strong and has a strong rehab

I<3NBA
08-02-2014, 02:30 PM
broken bone. as long as fracture is clean, it heals completely. ACL tear never heals completely.

inclinerator
08-02-2014, 02:31 PM
How the he'll was Paul George so calm during the fifteen minutes of waiting there after breaking it? I'd be crying if that happened to me. Hopefully he comes back strong and has a strong rehab
adrenaline rush

KBaller33
08-02-2014, 02:47 PM
If you're talking about what LOOKED worse, then PG.

But structure wise Rose.

CHi1PriDe
08-02-2014, 03:01 PM
If you're talking about what LOOKED worse, then PG.

But structure wise Rose.

Ty captain obvious :facepalm

GrapeApe
08-02-2014, 03:24 PM
You can never go by looks. A rather benign looking injury can end a career (see Bo Jackson). Tissue damage is almost always more severe and difficult to recover from than bone damage.

TheTruth11
08-02-2014, 04:22 PM
I think we simply don't know. In an ideal world the bone break would be easier. But this is a "supporting" bone break... meaning it supports the body... unlike a broken arm, etc. It is going to take a lot of pounding and intense downward thrust from running and jumping. No true way to know how it will respond now that it has been structurally compromised. Prayers out for a full recovery though.

played0ut
08-02-2014, 04:25 PM
^

Actually, healed broken bones are no less or more likely to break again the the future.

Rose'sACL
08-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I haven't had either injury thank God but did PG's injury look more painful? I don't know if I can bear pain like that without passing out. In the long run the ACL would be more difficult to overcome but the initial pain wouldn't hurt as bad. My assumptions.
I had the same injury as PG in an accident. I didn't pass out as well as my frd who had a bone sticking out of his forearm. Most men don't pass out in that situation.

oh the horror
08-02-2014, 04:36 PM

Probably shock I'd imagine. The body kind of goes into "safe mode" when something like that happens.

SamuraiSWISH
08-02-2014, 04:47 PM
I'm sorry breaking both the Tibia and Fibula is not only worse, it's more visceral, and brutal. The visual trauma alone that it has on not just PG, but everyone else. I couldn't even play today in a college reunion game cause injuries like that shake me to my core. I need a few days to recover in order to mentally reboot. ACL's take a year or so to fully recover from. I don't what it's like thank god to break BOTH bones in your leg. Seeing your leg snap is a shocking thing. Breaking through the skin and everything. Kevin Ware's injury did the same thing to me. It's odd we're seeing this more in a sport like basketball. It shouldn't be happening.

TheTruth11
08-02-2014, 04:52 PM
^

Actually, healed broken bones are no less or more likely to break again the the future.

I really don't want to be in the position of defending the negative because I think we are all uniform in hoping and praying for a full recovery for PG but there a couple of things to keep in mind....1. These injuries are not common for basketball players... a compound is rare... so there is not a lot of data to go by, and 2. It killed Sam Bowie's career and Kevin Ware is still trying to get back to the level he used to be at. Hopefully PG won't have any of those problems. Despite what might be written in a medical text book I just think life experience has shown us it is too early to tell.

Milbuck
08-02-2014, 05:00 PM
I really don't want to be in the position of defending the negative because I think we are all uniform in hoping and praying for a full recovery for PG but there a couple of things to keep in mind....1. These injuries are not common for basketball players... a compound is rare... so there is not a lot of data to go by, and 2. It killed Sam Bowie's career and Kevin Ware is still trying to get back to the level he used to be at. Hopefully PG won't have any of those problems. Despite what might be written in a medical text book I just think life experience has shown us it is too early to tell.
Dude Sam Bowie was drafted 30 years ago..medical technology isn't even comparable then to now. And yeah it was a compound fracture, but it's not as rare as you'd think. It was a clean break and there was no additional ligament or tendon damage, mostly due to the location of the break. ACL and Achilles tears/ruptures look harmless visually compared to PG's injury but structurally they're much more concerning. We're all getting a bit carried away based on how visually gruesome it was..but the reality is, he's most likely going to be fine. Like I said earlier the mental hurdle is really gonna test him and physically he has a long road ahead of him..but overall his career as a star player is very much alive.

TheTruth11
08-02-2014, 05:55 PM
Dude Sam Bowie was drafted 30 years ago..medical technology isn't even comparable then to now. And yeah it was a compound fracture, but it's not as rare as you'd think. It was a clean break and there was no additional ligament or tendon damage, mostly due to the location of the break. ACL and Achilles tears/ruptures look harmless visually compared to PG's injury but structurally they're much more concerning. We're all getting a bit carried away based on how visually gruesome it was..but the reality is, he's most likely going to be fine. Like I said earlier the mental hurdle is really gonna test him and physically he has a long road ahead of him..but overall his career as a star player is very much alive.

The mere fact that I had to google and find Sam Bowie from 30 years ago tells you how rare this is. You can believe what you want bro but for me, I will reserve judgment until I actually see the "full" recovery you speak of.