PDA

View Full Version : Which rule changes do you want in the game

played0ut
08-03-2014, 06:38 PM
Title. Say why also. Maybe some rules in the last two minutes of the game? Reviewing fouls, etc.

Anyway. I want:

-Return of handchecking
-Removal of 3 second defensive rule

Some background;

These rules were introduced to open up the court and make plays more exciting. I blame Michael Jordan. He was the greatest slasher ever in the game (I will challenge any of you who disagree, and I will win). Guy would go over/weave around 2-4 guys and finish spectacularly.

But not everyone could do it (MAJOR reason is Jordan/Doc J had massive hands that allowed them to control the ball in the air). Seeing how the crowd responded to MJ's high flying game, I think the league changed the rules so that there would be more 'Jordan/'Nique/Dr. J' style. And it worked.

I like having zones allowed-- I think defenders should be able to do whatever they want. Also, back in the 80's/90's, people were essentially already using zone. Countless quotes and anecdotes from Coaches complaining about the use of 'illegal D'.

I particularly want the 3 second rule gone. Why shouldn't people be allowed to camp in the paint? With the 3 second rule used in conjunction with removal of hand checking it makes it so easy for slashers to get in once they get a running start. You wanna get in you need to earn it. :no:

The paint wouldn't necessarily be clogged anymore either with an emphasis on 3 pt shooting in today's game.

Thoughts?

Cocaine80s
08-03-2014, 06:39 PM
4 pointers from beyond halfcourt line

also poster dunks should count as 4 point plays

Sarcastic
08-03-2014, 06:43 PM
I'd like to see foul outs removed, in order to take control away from the refs.

Smook A.
08-03-2014, 06:44 PM
4 pointers from beyond halfcourt line
Shots behind the half court line should count as 4 points, imo.

Another change I want:
-Give coaches "challenge plays" like the NFL. Most of the time they know better than the stupid ass refs

Lebronxrings
08-03-2014, 06:45 PM
remove travelling.

played0ut
08-03-2014, 06:48 PM
Shots behind the half court line should count as 4 points, imo.

Another change I want:
-Give coaches "challenge plays" like the NFL. Most of the time they know better than the stupid ass refs

challenge plays? I don't htink i've heard of it...

I'd like to see foul outs removed, in order to take control away from the refs.

You mean so you can't foul out of a game anymore?

also poster dunks should count as 4 point plays

lolol

maybe.

Smook A.
08-03-2014, 06:51 PM
challenge plays? I don't htink i've heard of it...
Challenge plays are for coaches. They do it when they feel the refs have made a wrong call against their team.

Would be good to have it in the NBA.

Sarcastic
08-03-2014, 06:54 PM
You mean so you can't foul out of a game anymore?

Right, so that way refs can't call bs chippy calls, and make a coach take out his star just because he got 2 early fouls.

If all fouls were called equally, then obviously the rules should stay as is.

Removing foul outs is just to take control from the refs.

StephHamann
08-03-2014, 06:56 PM
Every player should get sent off for flopping, if they do it multiple times during a season, ban them for like 3 months.

ballup
08-03-2014, 06:57 PM
Removal of the 3 second rules, especially offensive. We shouldn't have refs occupied counting how long someone is at a certain place on the court. That brings me to my next point. Have shot clocks with a 5 second countdown timer for out of bounds plays.

NumberSix
08-03-2014, 07:02 PM
The ball going in the basket resulting in points.

Natureland
08-03-2014, 07:07 PM
Handchecking I'm fine with coming back but removing defensive three seconds is just begging for 70-68 scored games to come back. This is just going off how defensively brutal games got in the early 2000s when they still had elements of handchecking allowed and zone defenses were finally legal.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, (I actually enjoy watching defensively controlled games such as that) but I can easily see how that would create an unappealing game to the general public.

Maybe if you removed defensive three seconds you should move in the three point line (the most powerful zone buster) as a compromise.

played0ut
08-03-2014, 07:13 PM
Handchecking I'm fine with coming back but removing defensive three seconds is just begging for 70-68 scored games to come back. This is just going off how defensively brutal games got in the early 2000s when they still had elements of handchecking allowed and zone defenses were finally legal.

I personally wouldn't have a problem with it, (I actually enjoy watching defensively controlled games such as that) but I can easily see how that would create an unappealing game to the general public.

Maybe if you removed defensive three seconds you should move in the three point line (the most powerful zone buster) as a compromise.

I think the trend towards 3 pt shooting will offset the potential low scoring from 3 sec rule + handchecking.

It's not like before when most of the points were from midrange. Defensively clogging the paint will leave perimeter shooters open. And I agree that the changes would make the game more unappealing to the public.

But dammit, I want to see teams 'earn' and fight for their points, without having a distinct advantage.

SpecialQue
08-03-2014, 07:22 PM
Players who flop and/or use the "rip through" move are immediately fined $50k and are suspended for 10 games after a second recorded and verified offense.

SpecialQue
08-03-2014, 07:23 PM
Also, games should be played outdoors on grass, as suggested here:

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=345017

AboutBuckets
08-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Instead of $5K (pocket change to most of the heavy floppers in the league) make it a one-game suspension

T_L_P
08-03-2014, 07:26 PM
Wouldn't removing the three second rule mess up charges? I mean, all teams would need to do is pluck a player in the paint and there would be no more layups.

j3lademaster
08-03-2014, 07:33 PM
i don't mind the rules tbh. There's a lot of uncalled handchecking in the playoffs. Actually calling some travels will be nice.

http://i.imgur.com/XI1lwbZ.gif

And it's not just Wade. Everyone gets away with shuffling their feet like that in triple threat.

Nash
08-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Less Timeouts!!!

played0ut
08-03-2014, 07:41 PM
Wouldn't removing the three second rule mess up charges? I mean, all teams would need to do is pluck a player in the paint and there would be no more layups.

There were plenty of layups before the 3 second rule. But yeah, layups would go down. The game would be less exciting to watch for casual fans, but if people are gonna get a layup they need to earn it imo.

SupermanOnSteroids
08-03-2014, 07:44 PM
any player caught flopping has to stand under the basket with his legs and arms spread out while all the players of the other team get to kick a basketball at his nuts as hard as they can from 10 feet out.

dubeta
08-03-2014, 07:55 PM
no rip-through and 'flailing"

would separate the real scorers from the pretenders

played0ut
08-03-2014, 08:34 PM
i don't mind the rules tbh. There's a lot of uncalled handchecking in the playoffs. Actually calling some travels will be nice.

http://i.imgur.com/XI1lwbZ.gif

And it's not just Wade. Everyone gets away with shuffling their feet like that in triple threat.

The first few steps are him gathering the ball. When you catch it you're allowed a step or two to get control.

mehyaM24
08-03-2014, 08:40 PM
hanchecking. lebron would firmly cement himself as the best defender in the game with the implementation of handchecking.

GOAT athlete able to use his hands? it wouldn't be fair ... :oldlol:

DoodleDa
08-03-2014, 08:40 PM
The first few steps are him gathering the ball. When you catch it you're allowed a step or two to get control.

You cannot be serious.

UK2K
08-03-2014, 09:26 PM
no rip-through and 'flailing"

would separate the real scorers from the pretenders
Rip through is perfectly legal.

As a defender, you move your feet not stick your hands out. I remember in AAU when a player was in a triple threat position I used to put my hand almost on his face to prevent him from seeing the floor. Also when he made his first step I could make 'incidental' contact and slow his move so I could recover.

I was awful at legal defense and amazing if I could use my hands/feet.

ProfessorMurder
08-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Why would that mess up blocks/charges?

Getting rid of the restricted circle and removing defensive three seconds would be great. It would get bigs back in the paint.

Call charges and blocks as you see it. The restricted circle is beyond dumb.

I want:

First round best of 5 games.
Handchecking allowed.
No defensive 3 seconds.
No restricted circle.

Flopping also needs to stop, but I don't know what you'd do.

Milbuck
08-03-2014, 09:32 PM
Suspensions or in-game technicals for flopping. NBA needs to cut the shit with the puny fines, that won't do a damn thing to stars like CP3, Lebron, Wade, Manu, etc.

played0ut
08-03-2014, 09:34 PM
You cannot be serious.

lol it's true. Every player takes a step or two after catching it.

b. A player who receives the ball while he is progressing or upon completion of a dribble, may use a two-count rhythm in coming to a stop, passing or shooting the ball.[/B]

http://www.nba.com/analysis/rules_10.html?nav=ArticleList

played0ut
08-03-2014, 09:37 PM
Suspensions or in-game technicals for flopping. NBA needs to cut the shit with the puny fines, that won't do a damn thing to stars like CP3, Lebron, Wade, Manu, etc.

Problem with that is it can be hard to tell if it's a flop in real time.

At the very least I think fines should definitely be raised.

Yankstar
08-03-2014, 09:38 PM
*looks at Lebron*

Mandatory drug tests :applause:

livingby3's
08-03-2014, 09:39 PM
Refs are not allowed to change calls even after reviewing playbacks right? If that rule stilll stands I'd like to see the league change it

SOD 21
08-03-2014, 09:43 PM
I get so tired of watching players stepping out of bounds when taking three-point shots from the baseline.

Solution