PDA

View Full Version : I think there's a real chance Spain knocks us out this year...

fpliii
08-04-2014, 01:25 AM
I still think USA wins gold, but losing went from an impossibility to an unlikely event IMO with Griffin, Love, LMA out and PG getting injured.

What do you guys think? :confusedshrug:

JohnFreeman
08-04-2014, 01:30 AM
Spain probably has a midget that can guard Durant as well

moe94
08-04-2014, 01:31 AM
:roll:

dubeta
08-04-2014, 01:38 AM

:roll: :applause:

Milbuck
08-04-2014, 01:39 AM
We'll be fine if we go with a traditional PF/C lineup. Losing PG means we can't afford to let KD wear down with too many minutes at the 4. Plus Spain is gonna force us to put more size at those positions anyways..might as well build that foundation from the start.

Rose/Curry/Lillard
Thompson/Harden/Derozan
Durant/Parsons/Derozan
Davis/Durant/Parsons
Cousins/Drummond/Plumlee

I don't see how we lose with that roster, no clear weakness.

Derozan splits minutes at 3rd string SG and SF, Durant and Parsons split minutes at SF and PF, while Davis primarily plays PF.

Starting lineup (and mostly likely the main lineup against Spain) has lots of shooting, size in the front court that has scoring from Cousins and defense from Davis, and two dynamic scorer/playmakers in Durant and Rose to carry the team in the clutch. The bench is sick too.. tons of scoring with Curry, Harden, Lillard, Derozan, etc. and having a huge, athletic defensive presence in the paint in Drummond will help compensate for having a skinny SF playing stretch 4 (KD, Parsons).

Euroleague
08-04-2014, 01:40 AM
We'll be fine if we go with a traditional PF/C lineup. Losing PG means we can't afford to let KD wear down with too many minutes at the 4. Plus Spain is gonna force us to put more size at those positions anyways..might as well build that foundation from the start.

Rose/Curry/Lillard
Thompson/Harden/Derozan
Durant/Parsons/Derozan
Davis/Durant/Parsons
Cousins/Drummond/Plumlee

I don't see how we lose with that roster, no clear weakness.

Derozan splits minutes at 3rd string SG and SF, Durant and Parsons split minutes at SF and PF, while Davis primarily plays PF.

Starting lineup (and mostly likely the main lineup against Spain) has lots of shooting, size in the front court that has scoring from Cousins and defense from Davis, and two dynamic scorer/playmakers in Durant and Rose to carry the team in the clutch. The bench is sick too.. tons of scoring with Curry, Harden, Lillard, Derozan, etc. and having a huge, athletic defensive presence in the paint in Drummond will help compensate for having a skinny SF playing stretch 4 (KD, Parsons).

I don't think that team can beat Slovenia or Lithuania in an elimination game on USA side of the bracket without serious help from the refs. But USA WILL get that ref help because FIBA is clearly itching for this Spain-USA final, even going as far as to rig the bracket.

Which after that happened, even people in Europe that never believed in this rigging tournaments for USA thing, now all believe in it after that.

I'm not entirely sure they can beat Slovenia or Lithuania even with ref help though....so the refs will have to bring it.

As for the final, if it is Spain, not a chance in freaking hell. With Spain being at home...too much pressure for the refs to rig it for USA, especially since the refs rigged two Olympics finals for USA against them already. It won't go over in Spain.

USA better hope Spain slips up along the way due to pressure - unlikely though, because the refs will also be pushing them the whole way to get to the final and will rig games if needed for them to get them there.

MastaKilla
08-04-2014, 01:51 AM
I don't think that team can beat Slovenia or Lithuania in an elimination game on USA side of the bracket without serious help from the refs. But USA WILL get that ref help because FIBA is clearly itching for this Spain-USA final, even going as far as to rig the bracket.

Which after that happened, even people in Europe that never believed in this rigging tournaments for USA thing, now all believe in it after that.

I'm not entirely sure they can beat Slovenia or Lithuania even with ref help though....so the refs will have to bring it.

As for the final, if it is Spain, not a chance in freaking hell. With Spain being at home...too much pressure for the refs to rig it for USA, especially since the refs rigged two Olympics finals for USA against them already. It won't go over in Spain.

USA better hope Spain slips up along the way due to pressure - unlikely though, because the refs will also be pushing them the whole way to get to the final and will rig games if needed for them to get them there.

V span was such a shit player in the nba.

UK2K
08-04-2014, 01:52 AM
Harden/Durant >>>>> anything anyone else can put on the floor.

ImKobe
08-04-2014, 01:55 AM
No way

juju151111
08-04-2014, 01:56 AM

:wtf:

Fudge
08-04-2014, 02:00 AM
A Durant-led team will beat any team in its way. It won't even be close.

Rooster

It was 5 to 1 last time around and Durant still pounding them Euros like tomato cans.:oldlol: :roll:

Milbuck

So what you're saying is that the US is far and away the most talented squad and are the clear favorites?

Rooster
08-04-2014, 02:04 AM
I still think USA wins gold, but losing went from an impossibility to an unlikely event IMO with Griffin, Love, LMA out and PG getting injured.

What do you guys think? :confusedshrug:

Undersized frontcourt works well in the amateur game. Look at Odom, he put up 15 points and 11 reebies in the last FIBA World Final game while on crack.:roll:

But Spain has a lot of NBA players with NBA experience. So they can probably put a surprise for 1 game.

sportjames23
08-04-2014, 02:05 AM

Ok, I :oldlol: 'd

Euroleague
08-04-2014, 02:08 AM

:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:

No wait....I just..........

Euroleague
08-04-2014, 02:10 AM

2012 USA Olympic team...

USA 86 - Argentina 80

USA 99 - Lithuania 94

USA 107 - Spain 100

Yeah, good luck with that prediction.

:facepalm

Euroleague
08-04-2014, 02:12 AM
Undersized frontcourt works well in the amateur game. Look at Odom, he put up 15 points and 11 reebies in the last FIBA World Final game while on crack.:roll:

But Spain has a lot of NBA players with NBA experience. So they can probably put a surprise for 1 game.

Odom was so incredible that he averaged 8 points and 7 rebounds a game in 2010 against those "Euro midgets"....................

LEGENDARY

Milbuck
08-04-2014, 02:18 AM
Odom was so incredible that he averaged 8 points and 7 rebounds a game in 2010 against those "Euro midgets"....................

LEGENDARY
So he averaged over twice as many rebounds as Spanoulis averaged points in the NBA?

Rooster
08-04-2014, 02:31 AM

LEGENDARY

Just too much talent on that C Team.:cheers:

Look at our 12th man Danny Granger.

He was waving towels while

Scrubs like Kleiza, Hedo, and Milos:oldlol:

On the All Tournament Team:facepalm

dubeta
08-04-2014, 02:37 AM
There must be something about the NBA that intimidates these international players

they drop 20+ in international play but ride the bench in the NBA :oldlol:

I remember Anthony Parker, was a 2 time Euroleague MVP, one of the GOAT european players, comes back to the NBA and becomes a role player :lol

bdreason
08-04-2014, 02:44 AM
Have you seen the bracket?

USA gets to cruise into the Finals. I'm not even sure Spain makes it to the Final.

Cocaine80s
08-04-2014, 02:45 AM

LEGENDARY
agreed, odom is trash and cant compete against european competition

repped as well (hit me back)

Rooster
08-04-2014, 02:50 AM
Have you seen the bracket?

USA gets to cruise into the Finals. I'm not even sure Spain makes it to the Final.

They will make it as long as Pau Gasol plays for them. He's been dominating every team not named USA in this type of game. Normally in NBA, they don't call fouls when you battle for inside position but in this type of game, refs will call it to benefit those soft players like those typical Euros.

Inferno
08-04-2014, 02:51 AM

LEGENDARY

Why was V Span so shitty in the NBA? Just curious.

Springsteen
08-04-2014, 02:55 AM

Except in the NBA playoffs.

JohnFreeman
08-04-2014, 06:18 AM
Except in the NBA playoffs.

gabepizza
08-04-2014, 07:09 AM

Already making excuses before the tournament begins. That's what happens when the USA wins gold three tournament in a row. :banana:

USA need ref help to beat Slovenia. :D :oldlol: :lol

Slovenia will need refs help to beat Australia. I still remember when PR knocked those soft ass Euros out of the Olympic qualifying tournament in 2008.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 07:13 AM

worst type of basketball fan...never admit he's wrong will just blame the refs every time...

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 07:14 AM
I like harden more than most but no he's not far and away better than every other non-us player..

hawksdogsbraves
08-04-2014, 11:02 AM
The Spanish backcourt and wings are complete shit, the only way they beat us is if we shoot like 15% from 3 from the game, which will be tough with Durant, Harden, Irving, Lillard, etc... on the team.

Marc Gasol isn't exactly going to drop 40 on us, I'm sure Boogie can body him up down low. He is a better player than Gasol after all.

ralph_i_el
08-04-2014, 11:20 AM
The Spanish backcourt and wings are complete shit, the only way they beat us is if we shoot like 15% from 3 from the game, which will be tough with Durant, Harden, Irving, Lillard, etc... on the team.

Marc Gasol isn't exactly going to drop 40 on us, I'm sure Boogie can body him up down low. He is a better player than Gasol after all.
Nope

hawksdogsbraves
08-04-2014, 11:56 AM
Nope

Boogie is 6 years younger, his offense is in another galaxy from Gasol's, and honestly his defense isn't that much worse. Gasol is a better passer, (but Boogie is actually pretty good there as well).

No GM in their right mind would take Gasol over Cousins.

ralph_i_el
08-04-2014, 12:02 PM
Boogie is 6 years younger, his offense is in another galaxy from Gasol's, and honestly his defense isn't that much worse. Gasol is a better passer, (but Boogie is actually pretty good there as well).

No GM in their right mind would take Gasol over Cousins.

Gasol is a much better defender, hustles, PASSES, and is a scorer when you need him to be. Putting up points on a bad team doesn't mean that much if that's all you do.

I wouldn't even say cousins is that much better than Marc on O. Marc just posts up to facilitate the offense more than he does to get a shot.

They are valuable in different ways. If you need a go-to scoring option you take cousins. If you need anything else take Gasol.

Does team USA lack scoring options? No

I am personally worried about the marc-pau high-low game with all those skinny Spaniards running around em. That being said, I love it when people play US tight. Much more entertaining

Oly BC
08-04-2014, 12:22 PM
I've warned about the coming embarassment a long time ago and it's nice to see people are already attempting to reduce expectations.

50/50 chances for the US to go past Slovenia and Lithuania, 2nd place is the best they could get.
There would be no medal for them if they didn't have such an easy schedule of course.

ralph_i_el
08-04-2014, 12:24 PM
I've warned about the coming embarassment a long time ago and it's nice to see people are already attempting to reduce expectations.

50/50 chances for the US to go past Slovenia and Lithuania, 2nd place is the best they could get.
There would be no medal for them if they didn't have such an easy schedule of course.
Willing to bet on it?

Oly BC
08-04-2014, 12:26 PM
The Spanish backcourt and wings are complete shit
:lol :lol :lol

In every USA-Spain game at least one of Navarro/Rudy has scored 20+ on america's ass and now Sergio has also improved his game.
If Spain has a weakness it's the lack of a pure sf, they only have guards and bigs in their roster. Might cause imbalance.

Oly BC
08-04-2014, 12:28 PM
Willing to bet on it?
Sure, if the US doesn't win the gold you'll have to get Spanoulis on your avatar.:banana:

ralph_i_el
08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Sure, if the US doesn't win the gold you'll have to get Spanoulis on your avatar.:banana:
Deal. If USA wins gold you make JVG your avvy for a month. I lose and I have Vspan for a month.

Hmmm you look like an alt though so it will have to be your main account. I don't play that alt shit. You can pm me from your main so you don't get "exposed"

Oly BC
08-04-2014, 12:31 PM
There must be something about the NBA that intimidates these international players

they drop 20+ in international play but ride the bench in the NBA :oldlol:
Ignorant coaches can be pretty damn intimidating.
You're kinda left thinking :wtf: all the time, messes you up.

Oly BC
08-04-2014, 12:33 PM
Deal. If USA wins gold you make JVG your avvy for a month. I lose and I have Vspan for a month.

Hmmm you look like an alt though so it will have to be your main account. I don't play that alt shit
This is my one and only account. Don't try to make excuses to get out of the bet.:facepalm

ralph_i_el
08-04-2014, 12:35 PM
This is my one and only account. Don't try to make excuses to get out of the bet.:facepalm
Fine :confusedshrug: I don't want out USA has the best team.

The only times the usmnt loses is when they bring too many dribblers and not enough shooting. Not an issue this year.

hawksdogsbraves
08-04-2014, 12:39 PM
:lol :lol :lol

In every USA-Spain game at least one of Navarro/Rudy has scored 20+ on america's ass and now Sergio has also improved his game.
If Spain has a weakness it's the lack of a pure sf, they only have guards and bigs in their roster. Might cause imbalance.

Navarro and Fernandez are actually guys I've seen play quite a bit so rest be assured, I'm not scared of those two :oldlol:

Oly BC
08-04-2014, 12:46 PM
Navarro and Fernandez are actually guys I've seen play quite a bit so rest be assured, I'm not scared of those two :oldlol:
You being an awful judge of players means nothing here. Rudy and Sergio will score 30+ on the US if the two sides meet while also being constant dangers in other areas of the game and if Navarro is on his day he will be laying up 3s like it's nothing.

Rooster
08-04-2014, 01:47 PM

Role players at best. Spain will probably park a zone against us because these 2 could hardly guard a lick. If it is under NBA players,I will give Spain + 20:oldlol: But since it's amateur rules and Spain has good frontcourt, they can probably keep it close. Otherwise, Durant will absolute smoke those slow as molasses soft and unathletic Euros.:oldlol:

jzek
08-04-2014, 01:50 PM
When's the last time we lost? 2005 or something?

Rooster
08-04-2014, 02:23 PM
When's the last time we lost? 2005 or something?

2006. We supposed to wipe out the competition so any loss is a disappointment. However we are playing the amateur rules where teams can pack a zone defensively and hope our perimeter shots will not fall and teams can stay close to us so upset can happen. If we are playing the NBA rules with grown men defense, Euros are soft, too slow and too unathletic to play us man to man.

UK2K
08-04-2014, 02:48 PM
I like harden more than most but no he's not far and away better than every other non-us player..

Harden is arguably the second best player on that team....

So name me any Euro player that starts for team USA. And no, neither Gasol would start.

Milbuck
08-04-2014, 02:49 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

hawksdogsbraves
08-04-2014, 03:38 PM
2006. We supposed to wipe out the competition so any loss is a disappointment. However we are playing the amateur rules where teams can pack a zone defensively and hope our perimeter shots will not fall and teams can stay close to us so upset can happen. If we are playing the NBA rules with grown men defense, Euros are soft, too slow and too unathletic to play us man to man.

We pack the roster with shooters now so hopefully we can avoid an upset. Totally agree about the amateur rules though.

UK2K
08-04-2014, 03:44 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
There's a reason Harden/Durant/George's 1v1v1 video was circulated. Those three were to be the faces of this team.

Deny it all you want, it doesn't make it false.

I guess you could argue Curry or maybe Rose if he's back in form, but both of those dudes played like doo doo. Anyone else you try to throw in the argument is just being ignorant.

FKAri
08-04-2014, 03:49 PM
Our teams are usually soft. If we can avoid getting banged down low and not let anyone get hot from outside while being cold ourselves we should be good to go.

DMV2
08-04-2014, 03:51 PM
The FIBA World Championships aren't taken as serious as the Olympics, so yes, there is a possibly.

Sakkreth
08-04-2014, 03:52 PM
USA has the easiest path out of all the top teams till semi finals where they probably meet Lithuania, but in semis only top teams remain anyways.

Euroleague
08-04-2014, 07:22 PM

My friend, please read my post about REF RIGGING. You forget about REF RIGGING.

They can't beat Slovenia or Lithuania with fair refs. But they won't have fair refs.

Euroleague
08-04-2014, 07:25 PM

So name me any Euro player that starts for team USA. And no, neither Gasol would start.

And now we all officially know that this is Harden's ISH account.

Euroleague
08-04-2014, 07:27 PM
USA has the easiest path out of all the top teams till semi finals where they probably meet Lithuania, but in semis only top teams remain anyways.

Don't get too cocky. Lithuania still has no point guard. Lithuania or Slovenia probably. Without a decent point guard Lithuania isn't better.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 07:29 PM

Marc Gasol wouldn't start over Drummond/Plumlee/Cousins?

and steph curry is better than Harden..

SamuraiSWISH
08-04-2014, 07:32 PM
Why? We have the best player in the tournament in Kevin Durant. The guy who just in his 3rd season won us a gold with fellow youngsters. KD can just snipe away from deep without any repercussions. Just cause PG is gone doesn't mean we're losing much. His defense was overrated anyway, rather we brought Iggy back.

Euroleague
08-04-2014, 07:35 PM
Why? We have the best player in the tournament in Kevin Durant. The guy who just in his 3rd season won us a gold with fellow youngsters. KD can just snipe away from deep without any repercussions. Just cause PG is gone doesn't mean we're losing much. His defense was overrated anyway, rather we brought Iggy back.

After 2010 and 2012 tournaments it's extremely unlikely that there will a third straight tournament where all the other team's coaches just let Durant shoot wide open jump shots from 3 point range again.

At least some coaches will make an adjustment and put a smaller wing on him him this time.

These tournaments don't exist in a time warp.

SamuraiSWISH
08-04-2014, 07:40 PM
After 2010 and 2012 tournaments it's extremely unlikely that there will a third straight tournament where all the other team's coaches just let Durant shoot wide open jump shots from 3 point range again.
They don't "let" him do it in the NBA either, yet the 6'10 Dirk w/ handle aka the Slim Reaper still takes casualties from distance.

If teams are going to be pushing up on KD from deep behind the stripe? It opens up the game to our vastly superior athletes, penetrators, and ball handlers. Rose, Harden, Irving will have field days.

Oh yea, and Curry the next best shooter in the tournament will be chilling in the corner pocket ready to shoot the lights out to keep help defenders honest.

gabepizza
08-04-2014, 10:31 PM

Same thing Euro trolls said in 2008, 2012 and especially 2010. USA has won three international competitions in a role. Absolute dominance by one country in one sport. In soccer no team has come close to winning three tournaments in a role.

But the USA could win 20 tournament in a role and the trolls will still make crazy predictions like this. Just wait for them to disappear for a while like they did in 2008, 2010 and 2012.

At least Euroleague is playing it safe and talking about ref rigging before the tournament has even started.

What a loser.
:cheers:

stalkerforlife
08-04-2014, 10:42 PM
Without Kobe there with his huge balls, OP may be right.

SamuraiSWISH
08-05-2014, 02:08 AM
Without Kobe there with his huge balls, OP may be right.
Kobe saved us gold medal game v.s. Spain in 2008
LeBron saved us gold medal game v.s. Spain in 2012

I think Durant can do the same. They're all much older, and all past their primes. No one on that team can defend the Slim Reaper.

fpliii
08-05-2014, 02:11 AM
So, presumably Cousins is a lock now, yes?

Any chance he blows up and becomes an issue at the tournament? I don't watch the Kings very much but I feel like I've heard that he's matured/become more disciplined as of late.