PDA

View Full Version : Let's clear the air on the REAL definition of a "star."

russwest0
08-04-2014, 08:45 AM
It's pretty simple folks.

If the player CAN win a championship as the first or second option on a team, he's a "star." If he CAN'T do that, then he isn't. It's as simple as that.

If you want, you can name any player and I'll tell you whether he is a star or not. :cheers:

Cocaine80s
08-04-2014, 08:45 AM
http://f.kulfoto.com/pic/0001/0015/47t2114508.jpg

JohnFreeman
08-04-2014, 08:46 AM
Love

Cocaine80s
08-04-2014, 08:46 AM
also i guess the heat werent stacked since Bosh is not a "star"

russwest0
08-04-2014, 08:47 AM
also i guess the heat werent stacked since Bosh is not a "star"

Where did I say anything about the definition of stacked?

The Heat had two guys who projected as first options on a championship team in 2011 and still lost because LeChoken One didn't show up.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 08:49 AM
Out of curiosity, star or Not (as they are right now - not as they will be)?:

LeBron
Durant
Paul
Davis
Griffin
Love
Dirk
Westbrook
Rose
Bosh
Wade
Harden
Duncan
Parker
Ginobli
Leonard
Dirk
Aldridge
Curry
Carmelo
Paul George (2014 version)
Cousins

russwest0
08-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Out of curiosity, star or Not (as they are right now - not as they will be)?:

LeBron
Durant
Paul
Davis
Griffin
Love
Dirk
Westbrook
Rose
Bosh
Wade
Harden
Duncan
Parker
Ginobli
Leonard
Dirk
Aldridge
Curry
Carmelo
Paul George (2014 version)
Cousins

Bolded those who aren't stars.

Warfan
08-04-2014, 08:57 AM
I never thought i'd see the day where Russ downplays lebrons teammates. Im surprised he isnt saying Love is the best PF in the league and a borderline superstar.

So if bron wins the title next year it will be without any star help. How great is our LeGod? :bowdown: :bowdown:

russwest0
08-04-2014, 08:58 AM
I never thought i'd see the day where Russ downplays lebrons teammates. Im surprised he isnt saying Love is the best PF in the league and a borderline superstar.

So if bron wins the title next year it will be without any star help. How great is our LeGod? :bowdown: :bowdown:

This is some next level slurping taking place.

You sure you're a warriors fan bro?

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 08:58 AM
So Kawhi Leonard is better than Kevin Love? :facepalm

btw...

And neither of them were LeBron James (a small forward), why is the media (mostly just ESPN) still calling him the "best player on the planet?"

He got outplayed all year by Durant in the regular season and then in the Finals got outplayed by a role player.

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344832

russwest0
08-04-2014, 08:59 AM
Kawhi Leonard is a role player on the Spurs.

I think that much is clear.

Thank god the Heat had no one who could defend him though.

JohnFreeman
08-04-2014, 08:59 AM
So Kawhi Leonard is better than Kevin Love? :facepalm

btw...

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=344832
lol

Cocaine80s
08-04-2014, 09:00 AM
so the only stars in the league right now are Kobe, Duncan, Lebron, Wade and Dirk by your logic. since no one else could win a championship as the #1 option

Beastmode88
08-04-2014, 09:00 AM

Manu went ham in the finals.. Def a star.

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:01 AM
So a star can never be in a position where he plays as a role player for a team.

Where did I say that at? Put Paul George (Star) on that same Spurs team and he's playing the same role as Kawhi :confusedshrug:

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:01 AM
Kawhi Leonard is a role player on the Spurs.

I think that much is clear.

Thank god the Heat had no one who could defend him though.

so is he a role player or a star?

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
so is he a role player or a star?

Depends on what team he's on. Every star can win a championship as a role player, as long as everything falls into place.

What you're asking is like me asking if Curry is a PG or a SG as if he can't be either depending on the situation.

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:04 AM
Im just following exactly what you said. So will lebron be the only star on the Cavs next year??

It's funny because you're a hypocritcal bitch who will be crying about how stacked the Cavs are next season.

And i've been watching the Warriors longer then you've been alive kid.

You never once asked me about Kyrie Irving, so no, you aren't following what I'm saying at all.

Keep up the LeBron slurping though, I just wanted to let you know that I don't care either way :cheers:

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Depends on what team he's on. Every star can win a championship as a role player, as long as everything falls into place.

What you're asking is like me asking if Curry is a PG or a SG as if he can't be both depending on the situation.
okay then who were the 2 star players on the spurs? going off of your criteria there has to be 2 stars on a championship team (logically if a star is somebody who is a 2nd option on a title team) then the spurs 2nd option Tony Parker is a star? He's better than Kevin Love?

Was Jason Terry a "star" in 2011? was he better than Kevin Love is right now?

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:07 AM
okay then who were the 2 star players on the spurs? going off of your criteria there has to be 2 stars on a championship team (logically if a star is somebody who is a 2nd option on a title team) then the spurs 2nd option Tony Parker is a star? He's better than Kevin Love?

Was Jason Terry a "star" in 2011? was he better than Kevin Love is right now?

Where did I say that there has to be two stars on every championship team?

ArbitraryWater

Love and Parker can't win titles as 2nd options?

Okay, first off, Love is the PERFECT 2nd option, and Parker HAS won titles as 2nd option.. Go back to cocaine's first reply and follow those steps.

RoundMoundOfReb
2014 Kyrie Irving was far worse than 2014 Kevin Love...

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:09 AM
Love and Parker can't win titles as 2nd options?

Okay, first of, Love is the PERFECT 2nd option, and Parker HAS won titles as 2nd option.. Go back to cocaine's first reply and follow those steps.

Yeah, and Kobe has won titles as a 2nd option.

So he's still a star then, right?

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:10 AM
:biggums: :wtf: Where did I say that there has to be two stars on every championship team?

If the player CAN win a championship as the first or second option on a team, he's a "star." If he CAN'T do that, then he isn't. It's as simple as that.

This is what you said....which in effect means that since Parker/Ginobli/Leonard DID win a championship as the second option one of them is a "star"....and Jason Terry was a star in 2011 since he DID win a championship as the second option..

This is what you sound like right now:

You: The criteria for being fast is running a 4.4
*Somebody actually runs a 4.4*
Me: So he's fast, right?
You: No he's not.

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:11 AM
Yeah, and Kobe has won titles as a 2nd option.

So he's still a star then, right?

Are you asking me this?

http://jordankinley.com/gif/backpedal.gif

Backpedaling faster than Muhammad Ali right now...

You JUST made those claims in the OP :oldlol:

And also, you think 2014 Parker is worse than 2007 Parker? You're so full of shit dude.. give it up.

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:12 AM
This is what you said....which in effect means that since Parker/Ginobli/Leonard DID win a championship as the second option one of them is a "star"....and Jason Terry was a star in 2011 since he DID win a championship as the second option..

You're trying to imply something that I didn't say at all.

Just because one label requires a certain criteria to be met, that doesn't mean that you can infer that something else entirely needs a different criteria to be met in order to happen.

Not sure where you saw that I said that every championship team needs two stars minimum.

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:14 AM
Are you asking me this?

http://jordankinley.com/gif/backpedal.gif

Backpedaling faster than Muhammad Ali right now...

You JUST made those claims in the OP :oldlol:

And also, you think 2014 Parker is worse than 2007 Parker? You're so full of shit dude.. give it up.

First off, where did you ever see me say that EVERY 1st or 2nd option on a championship team is a star?

I have no idea where you guys are getting this from.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:17 AM
You're trying to imply something that I didn't say at all.

Just because one label requires a certain criteria to be met, that doesn't mean that you can infer that something else entirely needs a different criteria to be met in order to happen.

Not sure where you saw that I said that every championship team needs two stars minimum.
You didn't say that but your statement:

requires that to be true...since every team that has won a championship has a second option that second option by your criteria is a "star" since that player obviously CAN win a championship as the second option on a team proved by the fact that since...you know he actually DID

Otis Thorpe, Jason Terry =Stars :bowdown: :bowdown:

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:18 AM
My god brother... your logic is horrible.

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:19 AM
First off, where did you ever see me say that EVERY 1st or 2nd option on a championship team is a star?

I have no idea where you guys are getting this from.

You said, IN THE OP, that if you can win as 2nd option on a title team, you're a star... WHICH IS WHAT PARKER DID IN 2007.

So basically your OP is a pile of http://hoops-nation.com/community/public/style_emoticons/default/trash.png and you just decide who was a 2nd option or not, fitting to your agenda.. right? Because obviously you don't give a damn about the "criteria" laid out in the OP. Otherwise Parker would be a star.

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:20 AM
My god brother... you're logic is horrible.

*your

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:21 AM
*your

lol thanks :cheers:

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
My god brother... you're logic is horrible.
your*

and please point out how exactly?

Let me rephrase this in terms you may understand:

You: If the person CAN run a 40 yard dash in under 4.4 seconds, he's "fast." If he CAN'T do that, then he isn't. It's as simple as that.

*Then Jason Terry runs a 4.35*

You: He's not fast.

Either A) Accept that he's fast or B) Admit your initial criteria (the premise of this thread) is total bullshit

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:22 AM
You said, IN THE OP, that if you can win as 2nd option on a title team, you're a star... WHICH IS WHAT PARKER DID IN 2007.

So basically your OP is a pile of http://hoops-nation.com/community/public/style_emoticons/default/trash.png and you just decide who was a 2nd option or not, fitting to your agenda.. right? Because obviously you don't give a damn about the "criteria" laid out in the OP. Otherwise Parker would be a star.

Again, you never once posted me saying that every championship team needs a "star" as their first and/or second option.

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:23 AM
lol thanks :cheers:

It wasn't friendly advice but more so laughing at your dumb ass since you're American

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:25 AM
"If you're a woman, you're a bad driver."

"HURR DURR, RUSS SAID ALL BAD DRIVERS ARE WOMEN!!!!"

My god lol, some of yall on ISH have me losing brain cells some times

ArbitraryWater
Again, you never once posted me saying that every championship team needs a "star" as their first and/or second option.

Wait, what? That doesn't even matter... You said EVERY 2ND OPTION ON A TITLE TEAM = STAR... That's what you said... Players who can win as 2nd option can be labeled stars... So, Otis Thorpe, Tony Parker and Jason Terry, are STARS.... Or at least were.

You might as well own up to your flawed way of thinking instead of further embarrassing yourself.

Essentially your criteria is worthless because you don't apply it to every case... You just pick out the ones you like. When you say a 2nd option on a title team is a star, than that DOES mean every 2nd option, ever... Totally different than your retarded 'bad drivers / women' example.

russwest0
It wasn't friendly advice but more so laughing at your dumb ass since you're American

Yeah? That's cool bro

Nash
08-04-2014, 09:26 AM
Lebron and Kobe = Superstars

The allstars and borderline allstars=Stars

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:26 AM

Except for the fact that you've defined a "star" as being the first/second option on a title team..

it's like me defining a hardcore basketball fan as somebody who posts on insidehoops and then saying ArbritraryWater is not a hardcore basketball fan...it makes no sense

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:28 AM
Except for the fact that you've defined a "star" as being the first/second option on a title team..

it's like me defining a hardcore basketball fan as somebody who posts on insidehoops and then saying ArbritraryWater is not a hardcore basketball fan...it makes no sense

:rockon:

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:28 AM
"If you're a woman, you're a bad driver."

"HURR DURR, RUSS SAID ALL BAD DRIVERS ARE WOMEN!!!!"

My god lol, some of yall on ISH have me losing brain cells some times

That is not even close to an accurate analogy...

it's more like you saying:

All women are bad drivers

but

Martha Stewart is a good driver...

makes no sense

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:29 AM
That is not even close to an accurate analogy...

it's more like you saying:

All women are bad drivers

but

Martha Stewart is a good driver...

makes no sense

Martha Stewart doesn't play in the NBA... :hammerhead:

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:30 AM

But bad female drivers do?

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:35 AM
All stars are players who have the capability of being 1st or 2nd options on title teams

but

Jason Terry (who was a second option on a title team so he was clearly capable of being one) was not a star

makes no sense

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:36 AM
All stars are players who have the capability of being 1st or 2nd options on title teams

but

Jason Terry (who was a second option on a title team so he was clearly capable of being one) was not a star

makes no sense

I don't get what you're trying to prove.

LeChoke makes opposing scrubs into stars, this is nothing new that you're saying here. :confusedshrug:

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:36 AM
LeChoke makes opposing scrubs into stars, this is nothing new.

but

Ottis Thorpe (who was a second option on a title team so he was clearly capable of being one) was not a star

makes no sense

Better? I would have so much more respect for you if you just admitted you were wrong with the definition....

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:38 AM
Where did I say that Otis Thorpe is a star?

If he can win a championship on a team as a first or second option, then he can be a star.

Is Otis Thorpe a star?

No sir.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:39 AM

If he can win a championship on a team as a first or second option, then he can be a star.

Is Otis Thorpe a star?

No sir.

dude...wtf are you saying?

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:43 AM

Is Otis Thorpe a star?

No sir.

Are you even aware of the fact that Otis Thorpe WON a championship on a team as second option?

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:44 AM
dude...wtf are you saying?

That Otis Thorpe isn't a star.

Sure, lots of variables go into winning a championship. Sometimes a non-star studded team goes on a miracle run and sometimes you face up against LeChoke in the Finals.

Things happen. In general though, my question was based around a fundamental question in regards to team building. Not based on past championship teams or anything like that. (Otherwise you couldn't be labeled a star without having already won a championship first...)

Hence me saying that I never said that every championship team needs a minimum number of stars to win the championship, because they don't.

Hopefully that clears up my stance on the issue :cheers:

Warfan
08-04-2014, 09:46 AM
I think Russ just meant that there are some stars that win as a 2nd option but not all 2nd options that win a title are stars. I think... I dont know this n*gga is confusing the fukk out of me

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:47 AM
So you're saying not all teams have a 2nd option, right?

Who was the 2nd option on the 1994 Rockets? Did they have one? Maybe they didn't have a 2nd option and only a 3rd option... Who was the 2nd option on the 2011 Mavericks? Did they even have one? (Wait, every team does.)

We're getting closer..

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:49 AM
Things happen. In general though, my question was based around a fundamental question in regards to team building. Not based on past championship teams or anything like that.

Hence me saying that I never said that every championship team needs a minimum number of stars to win the championship, because they don't.

Hopefully that clears up my stance on the issue :cheers:

i already explained the logical inconsistency several times....

You didn't ask a question you DEFINED a word....

you defined a star as being somebody who CAN win a title as a 1st or 2nd option....

by this logic Otis Thorpe who CAN win a title as a 1st or 2nd option (as evidenced by the fact that he DID win a title as a 2nd option) MUST be a star or the definition is invalid...

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:49 AM
I think Russ just meant that there are some stars that win as a 2nd option but not all 2nd options that win a title are stars. I think... I dont know this n*gga is confusing the fukk out of me

But he can't say "some stars win as 2nd option" because he's not trying to define the term "2nd option", but "star".... He defined star, as winning by being the 2nd option... So now he says not every team has a 2nd option? We all know every team has a 2nd option.

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:50 AM
i already explained the logical inconsistency several times....

You didn't ask a question you DEFINED a word....

you defined a star as being somebody who CAN win a title as a 1st or 2nd option....

by this logic Otis Thorpe who CAN win a title as a 1st or 2nd option (as evidenced by the fact that he DID win a title as a 2nd option) MUST be a star or the definition is invalid...

So based off what you're saying, Otis Thorpe is a star but Kevin Durant isn't?

:biggums:

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:51 AM

That isn't what he said...

This is what he said:

So according to him if a player is capable of winning a title as a 1st or 2nd option they are stars...therefore players who HAVE won titles as the 2nd option (i.e. PROVEN that they are capable) must be stars or his definition is invalid (which it obviously is)

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:52 AM
That isn't what he said...

This is what he said:

So according to him if a player is capable of winning a title as a 1st or 2nd option they are stars...therefore players who HAVE won titles as the 2nd option (i.e. PROVEN that they are capable) must be stars or his definition is invalid (which it obviously is)

:facepalm I thought I already clarified this, or did you miss that post.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:53 AM

No you said

i.e. if the player is capable of winning a chamionship as the first or second option they are stars...

that doesn't exclude Durant since i'm sure he is capable of it...but it also MUST include Otis Thorpe who DID win a title as a 2nd option...

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 09:54 AM
:facepalm I thought I already clarified this, or did you miss that post.
No...you didnt

russwest0
08-04-2014, 09:57 AM
You're taking a different interpretation of my definition of a star than the one that I clearly am taking.

You're trying to bring all of this historical context into the equation when I wasn't dealing with that at all. Obviously not EVERY team needs a minimum of two stars to win it all.

My approach to determining if they are a star is based on the fundamental team building question of if you believe you can build around them and win a championship with them as a first or second option.

If you want to bank on LeBron choking his ass off or your team going on a miracle run for YOUR team to win the championship, then go ahead. At the end of the day, It's all relative to your interpretation and not based on what players HAVE won the championship as a first or second option, because obviously not every star has won a championship.

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 10:02 AM
You're taking a different interpretation of my definition of a star than the one that I clearly am taking.

You're trying to bring all of this historical context into the equation when I wasn't dealing with that at all. Obviously not EVERY team needs a minimum of two stars to win it all.

My approach to determining if they are a star is based on the fundamental team building question of if you believe you can build around them and win a championship with them as a first or second option.

If you want to bank on LeBron choking his ass off or your team going on a miracle run for YOUR team to win the championship, then go ahead. At the end of the day, It's all relative to your interpretation and not based on what players HAVE won the championship as a first or second option, because obviously not every star has won a championship.

Of course it doesn't, but you said EVERY PLAYER WINNING AS 2ND OPTION = STAR... And every team HAS A SECOND OPTION.

Lol at you ignoring this shit

So you're saying not all teams have a 2nd option, right?

Who was the 2nd option on the 1994 Rockets? Did they have one? Maybe they didn't have a 2nd option and only a 3rd option... Who was the 2nd option on the 2011 Mavericks? Did they even have one? (Wait, every team does.)

We're getting closer..

But he can't say "some stars win as 2nd option" because he's not trying to define the term "2nd option", but "star".... He defined star, as winning by being the 2nd option... So now he says not every team has a 2nd option? We all know every team has a 2nd option.

Otis Thorpe has won as 2nd option, Kevin Durant hasn't... Otis Thorpe is a star, Durant is not.

This is what your bullshit little criteria tells me...

Now again, answer, who was the 2nd option on the '94 Rockets, '07 Spurs and '11 Mavericks?

russwest0
08-04-2014, 10:03 AM
I've already clearly explained my stance in a full enough detail.

Had I wanted to bring historical context into the equation then I obviously would have put a bunch of individualized parameters in my definition to exclude extremely rare, and often "lucky" scenarios where guys like Jason Terry and Otis Thorpe win a championship as the 2nd option.

But I didn't want to bring historical context into the equation and for that reason, I didn't do so.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 10:04 AM

Except that isn't what you said...and not what the thread title says...and really makes no sense at all...

Let's clear the air on the REAL definition of a "star."

It's pretty simple folks.

If you want, you can name any player and I'll tell you whether he is a star or not. :cheers:

You defined a word...you know how i know that? by reading the title of the damn thread..

in simple terms, according to your definition:

Star is a 2nd option on a title team
Otis Thorpe was a 2nd option on a title team
Therefore Otis Thorpe is a star

If it were just from a "team building" (whatever the hell that means) you wouldn't have given a damn definition

JohnFreeman
08-04-2014, 10:05 AM
Is there a day in the week, Russwest doesn't get ethered?

rule1223
08-04-2014, 10:06 AM
Of course it doesn't, but you said EVERY PLAYER WINNING AS 2ND OPTION = STAR... And every team HAS A SECOND OPTION.

Lol at you ignoring this shit

Otis Thorpe has won as 2nd option, Kevin Durant hasn't... Otis Thorpe is a star, Durant is not.

This is what your bullshit little criteria tells me...

Now again, answer, who was the 2nd option on the '94 Rockets, '07 Spurs and '11 Mavericks?
every team has a second option but a second option is not exclusive to one player

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 10:06 AM
I've already clearly explained my stance in a full enough detail.

Had I wanted to bring historical context into the equation then I obviously would have put a bunch of individualized parameters in my definition to exclude extremely rare, and often "lucky" scenarios where guys like Jason Terry and Otis Thorpe win a championship as the 2nd option.

But I didn't want to bring historical context into the equation so I didn't.

How were 94 Thorpe, 11 Terry, 03 Parker, 14 Parker lucky? You might as well call every championship ever lucky...

RoundMoundOfReb
08-04-2014, 10:07 AM
every team has a second option but a second option is not exclusive to one player
Of course it is...2nd option = 2nd best player (typically offensive) on a team...that is what the word has always meant

russwest0
08-04-2014, 10:07 AM
You might as well call every championship ever lucky...

I suppose :confusedshrug:

Some are more "lucky" than others though, make no mistake about it.

rule1223
08-04-2014, 10:23 AM
Of course it is...2nd option = 2nd best player (typically offensive) on a team...that is what the word has always meant
options are not players... whose the second option on team usa, durant for sure is the first option but second option could be whoevers open if durant is getting trapped or the other team is denying him or the second option could be the three point shooters or it could be to pound it in to the big man

options are ways that you can score the basketball, and you prioritize them, obviously the first option is the way that you can score the easiest which is almost all of the time, a single best player but if you dont have a clear second best player, very possible, then your second option could be a number of things other than a single player

Kblaze8855
08-04-2014, 10:50 AM
Logically speaking...this topic and the attempts to defend it in the face of obvious inconsistencies....

Terrible.

russwest0
08-04-2014, 10:58 AM
Logically speaking...this topic and the attempts to defend it in the face of obvious inconsistencies....

Terrible.

If you want me to change the definition to include individualized parameters that will exclude extremely rare scenarios where a team without a 1st or 2nd option as a star wins the championship, then I can do so.

I just didn't feel the need to do that, since I didn't base any of my definition off of historical context :confusedshrug:

Hoopz2332
08-04-2014, 11:00 AM
Is there a day in the week, Russwest doesn't get ethered?

:lol

k0kakw0rld
08-04-2014, 11:51 AM
Tony Parker won 3 championships as first and second option. He is a star and a top 5 PG in this league.

Durant, Rose, PG, Melo and the rest of the gang, ain't stars according to Russwest0. In my book there is no such thing as they are able or capable to do so. If you never did it you are not capable until proven otherwise.

Off the top of my head and Currently playing

Duncan
Kobe
Bron
KG
Wade
Pierce
Dirk
Pau Gasol
Chauncey Billups
Kawhi

The rest

Roundball_Rock
08-04-2014, 12:04 PM
My definitions:

A star: a franchise cornerstone. A star is a player who is integral to your team's success and substantially better than the average player at his position. Prime Gasol on the Lakers or current Irving are good examples.

A superstar: a franchise player. A superstar is a player who you can potentially win a championship with if he is your team's best player (he could also be your second best player but capable of being the best player on a championship team a la Pippen or early 2000's Kobe). A superstar is in the conversation for being a top 5 player in the league and generally should be at least top 2-3 at his position (an exception like Ewing when he was behind Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson can exist). Chauncey Billups was not a superstar in my book because he was never an elite player in the league, even though he was the best player on a championship team. Superstars can range from LeBron to players like 14' Howard and Carmelo.

GimmeThat
08-04-2014, 12:11 PM
without having a baseline to measure by

I'd like to think something like players with at least a +/- 5 games if not 10 games if being replaced.

I don't know if we should measure it by trading for the worst starter in the league in comparison or whatnot (which would be the baseline measure)

K Xerxes
08-04-2014, 01:44 PM
My definitions:

A star: a franchise cornerstone. A star is a player who is integral to your team's success and substantially better than the average player at his position. Prime Gasol on the Lakers or current Irving are good examples.

A superstar: a franchise player. A superstar is a player who you can potentially win a championship with if he is your team's best player (he could also be your second best player but capable of being the best player on a championship team a la Pippen or early 2000's Kobe). A superstar is in the conversation for being a top 5 player in the league and generally should be at least top 2-3 at his position (an exception like Ewing when he was behind Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson can exist). Chauncey Billups was not a superstar in my book because he was never an elite player in the league, even though he was the best player on a championship team. Superstars can range from LeBron to players like 14' Howard and Carmelo.

IMO, the only superstars in the league are LeBron and Durant. MAYBE Paul. My definitions are different, but I think it's better not to dilute the term by allowing too many players in that elite category. Superstars should transcend their peers imo.

dubeta
08-04-2014, 09:27 PM
Does russwest purposely create thread backfires?

ArbitraryWater
08-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Does russwest purposely create thread backfires?

:oldlol: