PDA

View Full Version : Can someone explain me seriously why the spurs won in 2014

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 02:33 PM
1st overall in the regular season...thats fine...not impressive....

but...they won against Dirk Mavs (with 2 blowouts wins).....Aldrige/Lillard Blazers (4 blowouts)....Durant/Westbrook Thunder (3 Blowouts) and James back to back champion Miami Heat (3 blowouts).

Dirk Nowitzki + Dalle Ellis + Damian Lillard + Lamarcus Aldrige + Kevin Durant + Russell Westbrook + Dwyane Wade + Lebron James = (12 out of 16 wins all blowouts) Thats sick.

My question is:

Ginobili and Duncan are old as hell. Leonard is not that great, Parker didnt play well many games, same as green. Diaw? come on....mills? just 4 threes in game 5 of the finals....I HONESTLY BELIEVE IT WAS JUST LUCK.

IMO.

navy
08-06-2014, 02:35 PM
http://ballerball.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/doc511c3ae01e500505063442.jpg

JT123
08-06-2014, 02:36 PM
Milbuck is becoming the worst troll on this site. :facepalm

robert_shaww

good answer

JohnnySic
Because they were the best team by a wide margin.

Milbuck
08-06-2014, 02:37 PM
Milbuck is becoming the worst troll on this site. :facepalm
I'm trying my best, I promise.

Rolando
Popovich.

Lebronxrings
/thread

inb4 duncans greatness.

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 02:38 PM
Because they were the best team by a wide margin.

yes...fine...but 12 blowouts??? i never saw anything like that before....the 96 bulls and the 01 lakers won by less point diferencial overall....

ths spurs run in 2014 could be the greatest ever. thats insane...and they dont have that much talent....

DMV2
08-06-2014, 02:41 PM
Heat never brought their defense to the Finals. The Spurs Finals dominance was not luck at all.

Not luck against the Thunder either. I think Ibaka's injury effected them psychologically, a little bit. Plus, the Grizzlies series was an emotional rollercoaster for Durant too.

Blazers are a young team. Lucky to win one game against the Spurs.

Only luck was the Dallas series. If Dirk played good in Game 1, the series might have changed in Dallas' favor.

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 02:44 PM
Heat never brought their defense to the Finals. The Spurs Finals dominance was not luck at all.

Not luck against the Thunder either. I think Ibaka's injury effected them psychologically, a little bit. Plus, the Grizzlies series was an emotional rollercoaster for Durant too.

Blazers are a young team. Lucky to win one game against the Spurs.

Only luck was the Dallas series. If Dirk played good in Game 1, the series might have changed in Dallas' favor.

nice arguments......but...if carter doesnt hit that miracle shot in game 3...that was a 5 game series....right?

DMV2
08-06-2014, 02:48 PM
nice arguments......but...if carter doesnt hit that miracle shot in game 3...that was a 5 game series....right?
Dallas would have taken a 2-0 lead into home court if they didn't choke Game 1. Would have completely changed the series.

SCdac
08-06-2014, 02:49 PM
- team was deepest in the league
- lead by Duncan, Parker, and Manu (future HOF'ers and GOAT PF)
- two first-round picks in Kawhi and Splitter were instrumental
- starting-caliber players coming off the bench (Manu, Diaw, Marco, Mills)
- best coaching staff in the league (Pop, Engellend, etc)
- best management (RC Buford) and an owner who's willing to spend
- hunger for revenge and redemption

http://www.rantsports.com/nba/files/2014/04/San-Antonio-Spurs11.jpg

Levity
08-06-2014, 02:54 PM
their offense is always on point. the ball movement is a thing of beauty. the team as a whole is constantly and consistently looking for the best shot available, as opposed to a player/playmaker being soley in charge of that.

ball to the inside, kick out, swing pass, swing pass, ginobli skip pass to the opposite wing, etc. they rarely settle for contested shots and always have someone cutting down the middle or baseline

defensively, they play as a team. rotations are always precise. the help D is always there and they close the lanes.

they also give parker the green light to create offense off the dribble, which will keep defenders guessing. its a great system, and more and more teams will shape their game around it. Chicago for instance, needs to adopt this offensive system

ArbitraryWater
08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
Dallas would have taken a 2-0 lead into home court if they didn't choke Game 1. Would have completely changed the series.

Same thing for the LeBron cramp, actually..

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 02:56 PM
their offense is always on point. the ball movement is a thing of beauty. the team as a whole is constantly and consistently looking for the best shot available, as opposed to a player/playmaker being soley in charge of that.

ball to the inside, kick out, swing pass, swing pass, ginobli skip pass to the opposite wing, etc. they rarely settle for contested shots and always have someone cutting down the middle or baseline

defensively, they play as a team. rotations are always precise. the help D is always there and they close the lanes.

they also give parker the green light to create offense off the dribble, which will keep defenders guessing. its a great system, and more and more teams will shape their game around it.

so they are winning in 2015......right?

SCdac
08-06-2014, 02:57 PM
In the last 3 games of the finals Kawhi Leonard averaged:

24 ppg / 9 rpg / 2 apg / 2 spg / 2 bpg / 2 threes pg (.54%) / .69 FG% / .84 FT% / 37 mpg

http://i2.wp.com/urbanchristiannews.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-NBA-finals.jpg

:applause:

Lebronxrings
08-06-2014, 02:58 PM
In the last 3 games of the finals Kawhi Leonard averaged:

24 ppg / 9 rpg / 2 apg / 2 spg / 2 bpg / 2 threes pg (.54%) / .69 FG% / .84 FT% / 37 mpg

http://i2.wp.com/urbanchristiannews.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/lebron-james-kawhi-leonard-NBA-finals.jpg

:applause:
system player.

SCdac
08-06-2014, 02:59 PM
system player.

system player took over at only 22 years old :bowdown:

Levity
08-06-2014, 02:59 PM
so they are winning in 2015......right?

if their key players health isnt an issue, theres a very good chance

imnew09
08-06-2014, 03:05 PM
system player.

better than Choke Artist Bran

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 03:09 PM
system player took over at only 22 years old :bowdown:

system player? i dont understand...

DirkNowitzki41
08-06-2014, 03:13 PM
1st overall in the regular season...thats fine...not impressive....

but...they won against Dirk Mavs (with 2 blowouts wins).....Aldrige/Lillard Blazers (4 blowouts)....Durant/Westbrook Thunder (3 Blowouts) and James back to back champion Miami Heat (3 blowouts).

Dirk Nowitzki + Dalle Ellis + Damian Lillard + Lamarcus Aldrige + Kevin Durant + Russell Westbrook + Dwyane Wade + Lebron James = (12 out of 16 wins all blowouts) Thats sick.

My question is:

Ginobili and Duncan are old as hell. Leonard is not that great, Parker didnt play well many games, same as green. Diaw? come on....mills? just 4 threes in game 5 of the finals....I HONESTLY BELIEVE IT WAS JUST LUCK.

IMO.

how can you mess up Monta's name :no: :no: :no:

T_L_P
08-06-2014, 03:20 PM
Because they were a great, deep team, filled with players who knew their role and a coach/set of stars hungry for revenge. Pop did wonders this year. RC, again, being overlooked.

Artillery
08-06-2014, 03:26 PM
Same reason the 2004 Pistons or the 2008 Celtics won. Deep team that relied on teamwork instead of superstar play to win games.

ralph_i_el
08-06-2014, 03:44 PM
Just luck:facepalm

How about literally the opposite of luck?

They spent the entire season spanking the rest of the league like children. They do every small thing that can give them an edge. They play correct and tactically sound basketball on both ends. Players know they'll be yanked if they don't play the way Popwants them to. They have an all time great big in Duncan.....

Hold up, let's talk about Timmy for a sec. Great hands, great positioning, great decision making and confidence....DON'T AGE. He's still a beast.

Back to the spurs. Every member of that team has a role. Nobody is on that team to just fill a roster spot or because of their "potential". Their roster is painstakingly constructed to fit managements goals. None of these guys are out there trying to figure put a niche. None of these guys are out there so the coaches can " see what they can do". The spurs KNOW what to do.

Specifically in terms of beating the Heat? They knew they were going to get blitzed hedged and doubled up top...because that's all the heat have done for years. The spurs planned accordingly and the Heat D was just a little too slow. That's why we saw so many easy passes for buckets, and guys in the right position ready to catch said passes. Beating the heat's trapping scheme let the spurs minimize the opponent's transition opportunities, which is what the Heat are best at.

Game over.

Please stop acting like Leonard is some superstar who just took over and won by himself. All he had to do waa take open shots and stop Bron from dropping 40.

Smart coaches are going to adopt what the Mavs did in the first round and try to force tony and manu to dribble more

masonanddixon
08-06-2014, 04:41 PM
Gift-wrapped the first round series against Dallas by the refs and league office, thats for sure. Beyond that it was a weak season.

SpanishACB
08-06-2014, 06:29 PM
I can explain it to you:

http://stats.nba.com/teamTrackingSpeed.html?PlayerOrTeam=Team&pageNo=1&rowsPerPage=25

they ran more and faster than anyone else

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 07:58 PM
Just luck:facepalm

How about literally the opposite of luck?

They spent the entire season spanking the rest of the league like children. They do every small thing that can give them an edge. They play correct and tactically sound on both ends. Players know they'll be yanked if they don't play the way Popwants them to. They have an all time great big in Duncan.....

Hold up, let's talk about Timmy for a sec. Great hands, great positioning, great decision making and confidence....DON'T AGE. He's still a beast.

Back to the spurs. Every member of that team has a role. Nobody is on that team to just fill a roster spot or because of their "potential". Their roster is painstakingly constructed to fit managements goals. None of these guys are out there trying to figure put a niche. None of these guys are out there so the coaches can " see what they can do". The spurs KNOW what to do.

Specifically in terms of beating the Heat? They knew they were going to get blitzed hedged and doubled up top...because that's all the heat have done for years. The spurs planned accordingly and the Heat D was just a little too slow. That's why we saw so many easy passes for buckets, and guys in the right position ready to catch said passes. Beating the heat's trapping scheme let the spurs minimize the opponent's transition opportunities, which is what the Heat are best at.

Game over.

Please stop acting like Leonard is some superstar who just took over and won by himself. All he had to do waa take open shots and stop Bron from dropping 40.

Smart coaches are going to adopt what the Mavs did in the first round and try to force tony and manu to dribble more

leonard a superstar? who said that?

i didnt say they won because of luck...im talking about the 12 blowouts in 16 games...

SCdac
08-06-2014, 08:02 PM
Keep in mind, Spurs went on a 19 game win streak after the All-Star break.

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 08:07 PM
Keep in mind, Spurs went on a 19 game win streak after the All-Star break.

i forgot that one...its true....

im still in shock about the spurs run....but not because they won it all....in 05 or 07 they won a lot of close games....but in 14 it was blowout after blowout and they faced great teams from the west and miami....i still dont believe it.

buddha
08-06-2014, 08:07 PM
The Mavs weren't that good, The Blazers were even worse, The Thunder dealt with injuries, if Ibaka was healthy they would have won, The Heat played in the weakest conference of all-time and would have had trouble making it out of the first round of the West.

The real finals should have been the west semis, but Ibaka was hurt. So yes, luck did play a big part in their "historic" run.

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 08:08 PM
The Mavs weren't that good, The Blazers were even worse, The Thunder dealt with injuries, if Ibaka was healthy they would have won, The Heat played in the weakest conference of all-time and would have had trouble making it out of the first round of the West.

The real finals should have been the west semis, but Ibaka was hurt. So yes, luck did play a big part in their "historic" run.

so if ibaka was healthy...thunder in 6 vs spurs?

Smook A.
08-06-2014, 08:09 PM
They won because they were simply better than every team they faced.

robert_shaww
08-06-2014, 08:11 PM
They won because they were simply better than every team they faced.

they were better than dallas?

Beastmode88
08-06-2014, 08:13 PM
Bron said to follow his lead. Guess he failed as a leader. :confusedshrug:

SCdac
08-06-2014, 08:13 PM

which team is hoisting up a new championship banner at the start of next season? ... The Mavs collapsed when it mattered most and Tiago kept Dirk in check.

played0ut
08-06-2014, 08:16 PM
I HONESTLY BELIEVE IT WAS JUST LUCK.

IMO.

yes...fine...but 12 blowouts??? i never saw anything like that before....

this is contradicting.

ths spurs run in 2014 could be the greatest ever. thats insane...and they dont have that much talent....

There's actually a very simple answer. Fundamental team ball. That's all there is to it.

Russell Celtics had it. Wilt's Lakers (the year they beat celtics, they changed coaches who forced a system of team ball) had it. Jordan Bulls had it. Ditto Kobe/Shaq's lakers.

The league went ISO heavy post Jordan (Jordan's fault, and ironically since he had fundamental team ball skills). Look at OKC. Talent up the ass but it's all Durant/Westbrook ISO's.

Same reason why old-timers beat athletic young bucks in pickup games.

rmt
08-06-2014, 08:17 PM
- team was deepest in the league
- lead by Duncan, Parker, and Manu (future HOF'ers and GOAT PF)
- two first-round picks in Kawhi and Splitter were instrumental
- starting-caliber players coming off the bench (Manu, Diaw, Marco, Mills)
- best coaching staff in the league (Pop, Engellend, etc)
- best management (RC Buford) and an owner who's willing to spend
- hunger for revenge and redemption

Can't believe a Spurs fan believes the bolded. What about trading away Scola to get rid of Jackie Butler's contract? What about letting SJax go in 2003? What about wasting precious Duncan's years with Bonner and Blair in the front court?

Inferno
08-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Because Andrew Bogut was injured :banana:

Seriously though, because they were ****ing good.

Prometheus
08-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Team chemistry, focus, discipline, excellent scheming, great passing, great shooting, great interior and perimeter defense, desire, experience, sacrifice...

It was weird. I thought championships were won with "star power" and players who have good ratings in video games. Apparently there's all this other shit going on...

dubeta
08-06-2014, 08:20 PM
Popovich put his players in positions to succeed with solid game plan, amazing leadership and mentored all his players (especially younger players)

Take out Pop and no one on the Spurs wouldve ever sniffed a championship

Smook A.
08-06-2014, 08:21 PM
If you honestly thought the Mavericks were better than the Spurs last season, you need to get drug tested.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Ever since you posted this thread i entered a trance of non-stop thinking and film watching...My studies kept bringing up 2 words: Tim Duncan

SCdac
08-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Can't believe a Spurs fan believes the bolded. What about trading away Scola to get rid of Jackie Butler's contract? What about letting SJax go in 2003? What about wasting precious Duncan's years with Bonner and Blair in the front court?

Scola is maaaad overrated. Spurs missing out by not having him on the roster is one of the biggest myths. They won 2-3 championships while holding on to his rights, and Oberto was a great pick up for probably much cheaper. Scola was weak in Indiana last season, but I understand his best days were in Houston or Argentina.

Stephen Jackson, obviously, was not going to make or break the Spurs in the mid 2000's.

My point is, Spurs were willing to re-sign Duncan, Parker, Manu, Robinson, Splitter, Bowen, Diaw, and soon Kawhi Leonard. For that I am grateful. Unlike, say, Marc Cuban who may be throwing his money around but changed out his roster every other season.

Keep in mind, Spurs are in a smaller market, and when I say "they're willing to spend", what I mean is they spend smartly even when they're dishing out millions. If that is clarification. In the wrong hands, the organization could have easily pushed some of their better players away like Manu and Parker.

Spurs, and no organization, is perfect though. So yeah, that's that.

rmt
08-06-2014, 08:27 PM
Team chemistry, focus, discipline, excellent scheming, great passing, great shooting, great interior and perimeter defense, desire, experience, sacrifice...

This is a great answer.

T_L_P
08-06-2014, 08:28 PM
Popovich put his players in positions to succeed with solid game plan, amazing leadership and mentored all his players (especially younger players)

Take out Pop and no one on the Spurs wouldve ever sniffed a championship

http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4636903/cockypop2.gif

Even at 65, schooling the King. :bowdown:

dubeta
08-06-2014, 08:39 PM
http://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/assets/4636903/cockypop2.gif

Even at 65, schooling the King. :bowdown:

GOAT coach :applause:

nothing but respect

masonanddixon
08-06-2014, 08:42 PM
Game 7 vs Dallas I remember Mavs having 4 fouls in the first two minutes and nothing on the other end, I knew the refs weren't going to let Dallas win.

T_L_P
08-06-2014, 08:46 PM
GOAT coach :applause:

nothing but respect

Props. :applause:

Glad you respect the man who shows LeBron none (invites him to shoot, as a matter of fact). :cheers:

dubeta
08-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Props. :applause:

Glad you respect the man who shows LeBron none (invites him to shoot, as a matter of fact). :cheers:

Saying lebron has a extremely high IQ, and calling him the best player in the world means no respect :oldlol:

And then hugs lebron after lebron won in 2013 after duncan missed the open layup

Pop worships lebron

Do you intentionally make yourself look bad?

T_L_P
08-06-2014, 08:55 PM
Saying lebron has a extremely high IQ, and calling him the best player in the world means no respect :oldlol:

And then hugs lebron after lebron won in 2013 after duncan missed the open layup

Pop worships lebron

LeBron calls Duncan most dominant player of the past 15 years: he's a role player/scrub

Pop says LeBron has a high IQ and hugs him: God who should be worshiped

When it comes to playing, Pop shows LeBron zero respect. He invites him to shoot, and he makes sure the system player he's supposed to be guarding wins the Finals MVP, taking it right to his mug, and making him cry on Haslem's shoulder at the end of the bench. It's a war zone out there. :cheers: