PDA

View Full Version : why not just wait for Love next year?

jzek
08-07-2014, 04:59 PM
So they don't have to lose Bennett, Wiggins, and a first-rounder? What am I missing here? :confusedshrug:

TheMarkMadsen
08-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Because Lebron is afraid to play without 2 all stars beside him.

J Shuttlesworth
08-07-2014, 05:00 PM
Drake desperately needs some Love

http://i.imgur.com/QaVWocN.png

navy
08-07-2014, 05:01 PM
This is what Im thinking. do they get cap privileges for signing him this year?

dubeta
08-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Once Kyrie's extension kicks in they cant afford to sign him in free agency

plus getting Love earlier means 1 extra year of him

jbryan1984
08-07-2014, 05:04 PM
Thats what I said all along. If Love wanted to play with LeBron bad enough, he would take what money we could give him next year. And with those 4 in your starting lineup, the vets will be lining up to sign one year deals for chump change.

Lebronxrings
08-07-2014, 05:05 PM
who cares, shitgins and benbrick are trash. Good riddance, more roster spots for us.

DirkNowitzki41
08-07-2014, 05:34 PM

kinda annoying how this guy is always on the big names ***** all the time

ihoopallday
08-07-2014, 05:59 PM
A trend I've noticed throughout this off season is how everyone thinks their a GM. There's a lot of details most of us have no clue about in these situations. Of course Cleveland would've loved to keep Wiggins and Bennett and pick up Love next year. Unfortunately, there's just no way that could've happened.

JimmyMcAdocious
08-07-2014, 06:06 PM
I imagine Cousins' face in the bottom left photo looks something like this...
http://i.imgur.com/2XoJtSM.png

Hoopz2332
08-07-2014, 06:07 PM
So they don't have to lose Bennett, Wiggins, and a first-rounder? What am I missing here? :confusedshrug:

because...

(Yahoo!) The Minnesota Timberwolves have reached an agreement in principle to send All-Star forward Kevin Love to the Cleveland Cavaliers for Andrew Wiggins, Anthony Bennett and a protected 2015 first-round draft pick, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

Cleveland is making the deal with Minnesota with a firm agreement Love will opt out of his contract in 2015 and re-sign with the Cavaliers on a five-year, $120 million-plus contract extension, league sources told Yahoo Sports.

The deal cannot be finalized until Aug. 23, because Wiggins, the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NBA draft, cannot be traded until one month after the signing of his rookie contract. The two teams have agreed to the deal, but neither would have recourse if the other decided to pull out of the arrangement before it can be formally completed this month. No third team is involved in the Cavaliers-Timberwolves trade agreement.

The precise deal terms have been agreed upon for weeks, but the teams and Love plan to stay silent about the particulars until the trade is announced in 16 days, sources told Yahoo Sports.

Love will join superstar LeBron James and Kyrie Irvingto create the most devastating trio in the NBA and will instantly make the Cavaliers a frontrunner to win the NBA championship.

Part of the Cavaliers' motivation in making the deal for Love was a belief Love would have ended up with the rival Chicago Bulls in a trade and created a significant obstacle in the Eastern Conference, sources said. Cleveland wouldn't have had the salary-cap space to sign Love next summer and could have only obtained him through the trade with Minnesota in a deal now.

Wiggins is the centerpiece of the package for Minnesota. The Timberwolves see superstar potential in the forward out of Kansas. Bennett, the No. 1 pick in the 2013 draft, has shown signs of progress after a difficult start to his rookie season.

The T'wolves had hopes of unloading contracts in a Love deal, but that won't be happening. Minnesota still has a goal of freeing itself of J.J. Barea, Luc Mbah a Moute and Alexey Shved, league sources said.

Love informed the Timberwolves he would not return to the team after opting out of his contract next summer, and pushed them to make a trade before the start of this coming season.

Love, 25, is a three-time NBA All-Star. He averaged 26 points and 12.5 rebounds for the Timberwolves last season. For his career, he's averaged 19 points and 12.2 rebounds.

http://www.kfbk.com/articles/sports-top-stories-104670/sources-cleveland-has-agreement-to-acquire-kevin-love-12646917/

Brokenbeat
08-07-2014, 06:08 PM

:wtf: :facepalm

jzek
08-08-2014, 06:08 PM
So no real reason then? I'd really make a great GM...

D-Rose
08-08-2014, 06:10 PM
This is what Im thinking. do they get cap privileges for signing him this year?
They have his bird rights now and can offer more $ than any other team, hence the 5 years 120 mill he will take.

Cocaine80s
08-08-2014, 06:11 PM
Not enough cap space to sign him next year unless they make a trade for him.

Also they want to win now

El Gato Negro
08-08-2014, 06:13 PM
It's not that hard to understand, trade two players with almost zero nba experience and a late maybe mid first round pick. or cut dion and tt two young players who have actually played nba minutes to clear room to sign love. they chose the latter.

Done_And_Done
08-08-2014, 06:15 PM
because...

http://www.kfbk.com/articles/sports-top-stories-104670/sources-cleveland-has-agreement-to-acquire-kevin-love-12646917/

This.... And I'm inclined to believe that Lebron had a little if not seismic sized hand in it. I'm sure part of the agreement to haul him back to Cleveland included discourse about upper management ensuring they provide him with the best possible assets to win now.

COnDEMnED
08-08-2014, 06:19 PM
So no real reason then? I'd really make a great GM...
Because they couldn't afford him next off season. He would have ended up on a different team. Probably Bulls, Knicks, or Lakers. The thought of Love ending up on the Lakers really scared Dan Gilbert. This should be obvious because of the amount of blood he dripped during his CP3 to Lakers period. It was a heavy flow period. He may still leave in free agency next year. A verbal long term commitment doesn't mean shit until the contract is signed. Cleveland has been down that road before.

Bigsmoke
08-08-2014, 11:49 PM

you have to look at through both perspectives

Minnesota wouldnt get anything that way

Meticode
08-08-2014, 11:53 PM
Because there is a much higher chance of not getting Love later than getting him now.

guy
08-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Pretty sure Laker fans were saying the same thing and now look at them/Kevin Love. Things change. You can't just assume you're going to get a player a year later.

no pun intended
08-09-2014, 12:42 AM
This is what makes the Minnesota side of the trade so great. Let's be real, if this trade didn't pull through, they would've lost Love for nothing next year. Any assets for the Wolves would benefit them, but when you get young potential stars as your assets, it's a steal.