PDA

View Full Version : Would NBA be more popular than NFL if every best player was white?

Fiddlesticks
08-08-2014, 01:17 PM
Look at the NFL, it is so popular because the most important player(Quarterback) on most teams is white.

SouBeachTalents
08-08-2014, 01:17 PM
No

navy
08-08-2014, 01:18 PM
More popular than the NFL? Maybe not.

It would be more popular though.

Fiddlesticks
08-08-2014, 01:19 PM
No
how so? Please elaborate.

rlsmooth775
08-08-2014, 01:21 PM
Yep

SouBeachTalents
08-08-2014, 01:22 PM
how so? Please elaborate.

Football is just generally a more popular sport in this country. The one game a week, 16 games a year schedule makes every single game must see TV and holds much higher importance & stakes than the average NBA game. You also have fantasy football & gambling factoring into the sports popularity as well. The NBA could be all white and it wouldn't touch the NFL

GrapeApe
08-08-2014, 01:23 PM
Look at the NFL, it is so popular because the most important player(Quarterback) on most teams is white.

You really think THAT'S why the NFL is popular? :wtf:

Fiddlesticks
08-08-2014, 01:23 PM
You really think THAT'S why the NFL is popular? :wtf:
it definitely contributes to it.

Fiddlesticks
08-08-2014, 01:24 PM
Football is just generally a more popular sport in this country. The one game a week, 16 games a year schedule makes every single game must see TV and holds much higher important & stakes than the average NBA game. You also have fantasy football & gambling factoring in to the sports popularity as well. The NBA could be all white and it wouldn't touch the NFL
maybe I messed up by saying more popular but if the NBA was all white, the gap would probably be smaller.

KBaller33
08-08-2014, 01:26 PM
No

Hoopz2332
08-08-2014, 01:28 PM
More popular than the NFL? Maybe not.

It would be more popular though.

this

SouBeachTalents
08-08-2014, 01:32 PM
For anyone saying yes, you do realize the NFL is 2/3 black, and that black QB's like Russell Wilson, RG3, Kaepernick & Cam Newton are the future of the NFL

BuffaloBill
08-08-2014, 01:33 PM
The talent and excitement level would go back to the way it was in the 50s

Soundwave
08-08-2014, 01:34 PM
For anyone saying yes, you do realize the NFL is 2/3 black, and that black QB's like Russell Wilson, RG3, Kaepernick & Cam Newton are the future of the NFL

Still the majority of the big name QBs (the most visible position in the NFL) are white.

It makes a difference for sure.

SouBeachTalents
08-08-2014, 01:36 PM
Still the majority of the big name QBs (the most visible position in the NFL) are white.

It's honestly as split as it ever has been. You have Peyton, Brady, Rodgers, Brees, Luck etc., but the ones I listed are right up there and are all substantially younger. In a couple seasons the majority of the marquee QB's will be black, and trust me, the NFL's popularity isn't going anywhere

navy
08-08-2014, 01:38 PM

This. The NBA would love to have another american white superstar or two like Larry Bird. There was a significant decrease in white viewers during the Iverson Era that the NBA would need to recover to match the NFL in popularity.

Beastmode88
08-08-2014, 01:39 PM
Mj was and probably still one of the most popular athlete to play the nba but he still couldn't get ratings above superbowls.

JohnnySic
08-08-2014, 01:42 PM
The NBA will never match the NFL in popularity no matter what. An NBA basketball game is just a game, and there are 82 of them + playoffs. An NFL game is a once-a-week extravaganza and an excuse for millions of fat guys to gorge on fast food, nachos, and drink 30 beers while tracking their fantasy stats. How can the NBA top that?

I<3NBA
08-08-2014, 01:43 PM
it would be popular if they decrease the games like the NFL and then made the playoffs single elimination. imagine the anguish and all the teeth gnashing of fans over "accidental wins." it would drive up viewership a ton.

scarcity makes a commodity more valuable, hence, more desired.

SouBeachTalents
08-08-2014, 01:44 PM
it would be popular if they decrease the games like the NFL and then made the playoffs single elimination. imagine the anguish and all the teeth gnashing of fans over "accidental wins." it would drive up viewership a ton.

scarcity makes a commodity more valuable, hence, more desired.

I'd leave the playoffs the way it is, but I remember I made a thread about decreasing the number of games to 58, but a majority of people were against it.

Heavincent
08-08-2014, 01:46 PM
What a stupid thread.

ralph_i_el
08-08-2014, 01:48 PM

You are a huge asshole with a limited understanding of the world around you.

DaSeba5
08-08-2014, 01:50 PM
This is a bunch of BS. Most of the NFL is black. Yah the star QBs are white, but there are plenty of star players and black QBs who get respect and attention.

There is nothing the NBA can do to catch the NFL. The games are once a week, some times two, usually on Sundays where people are off. This means each game has higher stakes and that makes it must watch TV. Plus fantasy football is huge and has brought in new fans.

Rameek
08-08-2014, 01:51 PM
These guys wears helmets and long johns cant see what race anyone is really... Only a dumb troll would say that.

Americans love gladiator action bottom line. No other sport can provide the skills, speed, action, collision of the NFL.

And some of this that was mentioned. Fantasy Football did bring in many more casual fans though I must admit.

Football is just generally a more popular sport in this country. The one game a week, 16 games a year schedule makes every single game must see TV and holds much higher importance & stakes than the average NBA game. You also have fantasy football & gambling factoring into the sports popularity as well. The NBA could be all white and it wouldn't touch the NFL

I dont know if the NBA can approach the popularity of the NFL. Even if they trimmed down the amount of teams (which they should), require kids to be out of HS for 3 years (which they should) and cut the season a quarter wouldnt probably change much. I do think in some ways if there were a few more other than black players it would probably grow in popularity how much, dont know.

JohnMax
08-08-2014, 01:56 PM
It would not shock me if the Kevin Love trade is an attempt to increase NBA's popularity.

navy
08-08-2014, 01:57 PM
Here is a good opinion piece about it.

http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/9/9/4711632/nba-nfl-popular

1) Schedule
2) Parity
3) Rivalries
4) Race
5) Refs/Rigging

Fiddlesticks
08-08-2014, 01:59 PM
Here is a good opinion piece about it.
http://www.blazersedge.com/2013/9/9/4711632/nba-nfl-popular
4. "The NBA is Too Black"

proves that I am right somewhat

Fiddlesticks
08-08-2014, 01:59 PM
It would not shock me if the Kevin Love trade is an attempt to increase NBA's popularity.
wow never thought of that but you may be right!

navy
08-08-2014, 02:02 PM
4. "The NBA is Too Black"

proves that I am right somewhat
It is a factor, but I wouldnt say it's the only reason.

Sakkreth
08-08-2014, 02:16 PM
Nah not enough commercials still.

kentatm
08-08-2014, 02:22 PM

:facepalm :facepalm :facepalm

:facepalm

majority of the top selling jersey's in the NFL are of black players.

This. The NBA would love to have another american white superstar or two like Larry Bird. There was a significant decrease in white viewers during the Iverson Era that the NBA would need to recover to match the NFL in popularity.

that was due to MJ retiring brah

Jailblazers7
08-08-2014, 02:25 PM
No, NFL league format and the popularity of the sport at the amateur level is what makes it so popular.

tmacattack33
08-08-2014, 02:37 PM
Yes.

The question is better formed and more clear though by asking: "is the NBA is less popular now because it is around 80% black"?

Of which the answer is Yes.

choppermagic
08-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Silly theory.

The NHL is almost all white, does that make them more popular than the NBA? no. Geez, I'm pretty sure yachting is predominantly white as well...how are those tv ratings?

edrick
08-08-2014, 02:44 PM
NFL will always be the most popular sport, because of the amount of opportunities that networks have to run commercials. Just the way it is. The low number of games also greatly helps. The NBA has too many damn games.

Soundwave
08-08-2014, 02:46 PM
Silly theory.

The NHL is almost all white, does that make them more popular than the NBA? no. Geez, I'm pretty sure yachting is predominantly white as well...how are those tv ratings?

Hockey is a winter sport, winter sport's are generally not nearly as popular.

Football is relevant in all parts of America. If anything too, race hurts hockey as well ... it's too white. Last time I checked blacks and latinos like sports too.

Football has the right mix ... there enough white superstar players to keep white people happy, obviously enough black players too.