PDA

View Full Version : I still can't believe Barkley/Hakeem/Drexler didn't win anything

k0kakw0rld
08-08-2014, 11:06 PM
I can understand they were all older than 30 but damn. In their prime tho together that could've been something amazing to watch.

Houston won 2 in a row before bringing Barkley to the team. #Ring chaser LeBron before LeBron lool and he is my favourite PF by the way

dubeta
08-08-2014, 11:09 PM
They colluded with Jordan

The agreement was to make Jordan look good and lose to him, and in exchange Jordan paid them under the table

Heck just google how many gifts Jordan bought Barkley. Why do you think he did that? Cause he's a nice guy? :oldlol:

stalkerforlife
08-08-2014, 11:10 PM
I can understand they were all older than 30 but damn. In their prime tho together that could've been something amazing to watch.

Houston won 2 in a row before bringing Barkley to the team. #Ring chaser LeBron before LeBron lool and he is my favourite PF by the way

Only Lebron was in his prime and Barkley was old.

jzek
08-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Jordan era.

dubeta
08-08-2014, 11:15 PM
Btw I just realized the number of people Lebron is stopping from winning is gonna be so much higher than MJ

10 years from now people are gonna say

"How come Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Dwight, Curry, Rose, Lillard, Melo, Paul George never won rings?"

http://www.shoutsport.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/nba_g_james12_576.jpg

chocolatethunder
08-08-2014, 11:16 PM

Winning a ring isn't easy and it certainly wasn't easy when Jordan was playing. Hakeem peaked late and then dropped off. Barkley was old and Pip wasn't great. It was the wrong pairing of players at the wrong time.

stalkerforlife
08-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Btw I just realized the number of people Lebron is stopping from winning is gonna be so much higher than MJ

"How come Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, Dwight, Curry, Rose, Lillard, Melo, Paul George never won rings?"

Because they sucked? :roll:

GrapeApe
08-08-2014, 11:24 PM

The agreement was to make Jordan look good and lose to him, and in exchange Jordan paid them under the table

Heck just google how many gifts Jordan bought Barkley. Why do you think he did that? Cause he's a nice guy? :oldlol:

This may be a new low, even for you :applause:

dubeta
08-08-2014, 11:25 PM
This may be a new low, even for you :applause:

I supported my statement with facts, can you disprove it? :cheers:

Le Shaqtus
08-08-2014, 11:27 PM
I supported my statement with facts, can you disprove it? :cheers:

Please provide sources for these facts :lol

houston
08-08-2014, 11:30 PM
John Stockton killed them

sekachu
08-08-2014, 11:32 PM

I answer it now, because half of them above never played in the east.

scandisk_
08-08-2014, 11:44 PM

meawhile, bron is doin the exact same thing and guess what? still 2/5 :lol

better start giving some more this coming season.

imnew09
08-08-2014, 11:52 PM
In before, "empty stats"

tpols
08-08-2014, 11:54 PM
]

because half of them are maybe joe dumars level.. and LeBron has had had better teams than all of them the past 4 years and into the future.

T_L_P
08-08-2014, 11:58 PM
*Says it's because of Jordan
*Didn't meet in the Playoffs

It's the same thing with Karl Malone. Dude faced Jordan twice. What about the other 17 years?

dubeta
08-08-2014, 11:58 PM
because half of them are maybe joe dumars level.. and LeBron has had had better teams than all of them the past 4 years and into the future.

Blake griffin > Kemp

Cp3 = Isiah

Steph Curry > Stockton

Paul George = Pippen

D Rose >> any pg in the 90's

Westbrook > any pg in the 90's

Melo > Any one in MJ's era

Nice try trying to downplay the competition. Bran's playing in the most loaded era yet:roll:

Sarcastic
08-09-2014, 12:04 AM
Barkley and Hakeem were way past prime. Pippen was still in his prime, but he was never good enough to carry a team to a ring.

T_L_P
08-09-2014, 12:08 AM
Blake griffin > Kemp

Cp3 = Isiah

Steph Curry > Stockton

Paul George = Pippen

Nice try trying to downplay the competition. Bran's playing in the most loaded era yet:roll:

Reflected by his losing record in the Finals and his inability to contain a fourth option.

Warfan
08-09-2014, 12:09 AM
The played what, 2 years together? The only good year they had stockton sent em packing :oldlol: Then Pip played one year in 99 and they were old AF, and shaq destroyed them

oh the horror
08-09-2014, 12:25 AM

The same Lebron that just lost? That same one?

And wait, how the fu*k you gonna name dudes that aren't in the same conference? Your clown status is reaching epic levels dude

dubeta
08-09-2014, 12:28 AM
The same Lebron that just lost? That same one?

And wait, how the fu*k you gonna name dudes that aren't in the same conference? Your clown status is reaching epic levels dude

Didnt Bran stop Durant Westbrook and Harden from winning rings in 2012? :hammerhead:

Beastmode88
08-09-2014, 12:31 AM
Didnt Bran stop Durant Westbrook and Harden from winning rings in 2012? :hammerhead:

Nope refs and James Harden did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMG7mZGo04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNTmEYSMvY

oh the horror
08-09-2014, 12:34 AM

To name one name you dropped there...

Dwight's Magic ELIMINATED Bron Cavs to head to the finals dude.

Kobe/Gasol lakers stopped Dwight.

Bron hasn't faced Chris Paul, Blake or Lillard hence there's no "stopping"

He's also failed to "stop" Dirk, Duncan, Parker, Manu (twice)

Smoke117
08-09-2014, 12:35 AM
Yes they could have been something amazing in their prime...but this is reality and players like that, don't play together "in their prime". Every single one of this was on a huge career crash by the time this crew got together, so what do you expect?

oarabbus
08-09-2014, 12:38 AM

There's a quote somewhere where Jordan basically implies he didn't deal with any hard fouls from Chuck after buying him a ring or some other kind of expensive jewelry.

russwest0
08-09-2014, 12:38 AM
Nope refs and James Harden did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvMG7mZGo04
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYNTmEYSMvY

Watching those videos....

Wow... the rigging that year was insane....

k0kakw0rld
08-09-2014, 12:39 AM
This. I hate the Jazz until today

eliteballer
08-09-2014, 12:42 AM
They were all shells of their primes and had NO supporting cast. Although they had some insane record the first year together when all 3 were healthy.

sportsfan76
08-09-2014, 12:48 AM
Only Lebron was in his prime and Barkley was old.

Lebron has 2 more years before he is considered old

Gotterdammerung
08-09-2014, 12:51 AM
eliteballer hit the nail on its head.

Once the Rockets traded Horry and Cassell to the Suns for Barkley, they gave up depth and athleticism for star-power in order to get by the Seattle Supersonics.

The mid-90s Rockets were a great team, but they lucked out twice because the Seattle Sonics had their number due to that amazing trapping defense that negated Hakeem's inside scoring and disrupted the Rockets' offense enough.

But the Sonics were eliminated in 1994 and 1995 before they could meet the Rockets. In 1996? 4-0 sweep. That meant they had to get a scorer who could break down that trapping defense. Enter Charles Barkley.

The Rockets barely beat the Sonics in 1997 in a 7 game deathmatch. But their lack of depth and athleticism and defense prevented them from ousting the Utah Jazz, pretty much the identical team the 1995 Rockets beat 3-2 in the first round.

Hakeem in 1996-97 was past his prime - he could score, but he wasn't as dominant on defense or on the boards. Barkley had less pressure in scoring, and focused on rebounding, but he couldn't supply enough on defense to make up for that loss in depth. Drexler at that point was not as hungry and in slow decline. :facepalm

kkb_12
08-09-2014, 01:13 AM

Of all these guys, Durant, Westbrook, Rose and CP are championship material, and I would be surprised if they retire without ring. The rest are good players, but nowhere near championship caliber...

Myth
08-09-2014, 03:12 AM

"How come Durant, Westbrook, Harden, Rose, Melo, Love, Irving never won rings?"

:applause:

Stringer Bell
08-09-2014, 03:25 AM
Hakeem started declining in 96/97, although he was still a terrific center.

Drexler was in his mid 30s and declining. Same with Barkley. Barkley still put up solid numbers, but was suffering from chronic back injuries, and I believe knee problems as well.

Jordan & the Bulls are irrelevant to the discussion as Houston not winning a title with this trio since Houston didn't even MAKE the finals to challenge Chicago.

Utah was a deeper team with a great system. Malone and Stockton were "young" 34/35 year olds. They aged so well. And after Drexler left and Pippen joined the team in 99', they faced the Lakers who were probably the most talented team in the NBA. At 36, that was pretty much the last hurrah for Barkley. He was still able to put up 16 and 12 a game, and then suffered a career ending injury the next year.

Olajuwon was the same age as Barkley and the strike-shortened 99' season was also a last hurrah of sorts for him. He averaged a shade under 19 and 10, pretty impressive for his age, then his production went dramatically down after that.

MiseryCityTexas
08-09-2014, 01:28 PM

Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp used to kill the Rockets all the time until they signed Barkley. If the Rockets would have faced the Seattle SuperSonics in the play-offs in 94 and 95, the Rockets probably wouldn't have even went to the Finals in them two years they won them championships because the Sonics always had the Rockets number in the play-offs in the previous years they played against each other (1993 NBA Western Conference Semifinals for example)

Soundwave
08-09-2014, 01:32 PM
The Sonics were Hakeem's kyrptonite, he couldn't deal with their swarming style of D.

The Jazz are underrated too by the same kids who didn't think the Spurs had a chance this year. Really good team basketball and Malone was still a beast in his later years.

They handled the younger Lakers for several years.

k0kakw0rld
08-09-2014, 01:38 PM
:applause:
I see what you've done here, Lillard ain't winning shit.

Magic 32
08-09-2014, 01:42 PM

http://d3j5vwomefv46c.cloudfront.net/photos/large/850500150.gif?1398735783

Roundball_Rock
08-09-2014, 01:50 PM
Jordan era.

Those Rockets never got out the West. The answer to the OP is those players were all past their prime. They only made a real run once, 97', when they won 57 games and lost in the WCF. The Rockets got a lot of past their prime players in the late 90's. They also had Pippen and Kevin Willis.

It's the same thing with Karl Malone. Dude faced Jordan twice. What about the other 17 years?

Exactly, as if Jordan is what caused Malone to perform poorly (relative to his standards) in the 97' Finals, including choking away Game 1.

Pippen was still in his prime

:rolleyes:

He wasn't on the team with Drexler. Drexler and Willis were gone after 98'. Pippen was 33 (with the mileage of 6 NBA finals, 8 ECF's and 2 Olympics--so more like the mileage of a 35 year old) and his prime ended after the 98' Finals back injury. He just did not have the same athleticism after that, which especially showed in limiting his defensive dominance relative to what it was previously. He remained a top defender but he could not dominate games defensively at the high level he did previously, most famously in the 98' Finals prior to the injury and the 98' ECF.

Overdrive
08-09-2014, 02:01 PM

Kobe stopped CP3, Howard and Melo when they got they furthest. The spurs Curry, Blake and CP3 again.

Lebron only stopped the Thunder and Pacers from getting rings. Durant & Westbrook still might win. We'll see what happens to George.

Leroy Jetson
08-09-2014, 04:24 PM
:rolleyes:

The most amazing part is that Lebron has not even faced half of these guys in the playoffs. I guess fear alone threw them off their game. The guy is just absolutely dominant winning a whole two titles out of eleven years in the league. I guess Duncan and Kobe were just lucky to have gotten a few titles before he came into the league and slammed the window shut.

VIP2000
08-09-2014, 04:43 PM
Matt Maloney was their starting PG. Think about that.

robert_shaww
08-09-2014, 05:37 PM
*Says it's because of Jordan
*Didn't meet in the Playoffs

always talking about Malone....put him all his carrer with the spurs manu/tony/d.robinson/bowen/leonard, etc and popovich in a weaker era and he wins 8 rings.

PD: He is the 2nd greatest scorer ever. dont forget it.

bizil
08-09-2014, 05:51 PM
They had the chance, but Stockton put that dagger in them that sealed their fate. As a student of the game, I'm glad Stock and Mailman got at least the chance to make The Finals. Both of them had arguably the best longevity for their respective positions of all time. Neither one of them really fell off hard. And Malone was playing better than ever. Hakeem and Clyde got a ring and Barkley made the Finals before. But I gotta admit, I think The Rockets would have been a greater threat to the Bulls than Utah that year. During the Bulls dynasty, they NEVER faced a dominant two way center in The Finals.

SexSymbol
08-09-2014, 05:51 PM

those are very likely to win rings, they're still very young

T_L_P
08-09-2014, 06:33 PM
always talking about Malone....put him all his carrer with the spurs manu/tony/d.robinson/bowen/leonard, etc and popovich in a weaker era and he wins 8 rings.

PD: He is the 2nd greatest scorer ever. dont forget it.

Based on what, exactly? He doesn't have a bigger impact on games, or intangibles, he played with one of the five best Point Guards ever, for his whole career, and he got beat up by numerous 42-48 win teams.

Rick Fox said he gave up in the 04 Finals because of how badly the Lakers were being beaten. What a winner, what a champion. :rolleyes:

There's nothing you can say to prove otherwise. I come at you with facts and you just spew nonsense. You really are a lousy basketball fan.

robert_shaww
08-09-2014, 06:58 PM
Based on what, exactly? He doesn't have a bigger impact on games, or intangibles, he played with one of the five best Point Guards ever, for his whole career, and he got beat up by numerous 42-48 win teams.

Rick Fox said he gave up in the 04 Finals because of how badly the Lakers were being beaten. What a winner, what a champion. :rolleyes:

There's nothing you can say to prove otherwise. I come at you with facts and you just spew nonsense. You really are a lousy basketball fan.

yes, nonsesnse, sure. your are trying to say that malone with the spurs playing against the 99 less ewing knicks or the 03 new jersey nets, or 07 cavs also had no chance of winning a ring....(i dont mention the 03-07 suns in a potential WCF because Malone would have scored 50 points per game against them....)

T_L_P
08-09-2014, 07:10 PM
yes, nonsesnse, sure. your are trying to say that malone with the spurs playing against the 99 less ewing knicks or the 03 new jersey nets, or 07 cavs also had no chance of winning a ring....(i dont mention the 03-07 suns in a potential WCF because Malone would have scored 50 points per game against them....)

That's the problem: you're putting Malone in the Finals when he wouldn't have made it a lot of times. Malone and Nazr are gonna make the Spurs top 5 defensive teams, which is why they won so much in the early-to-mid 2000s? :oldlol:

robert_shaww
08-10-2014, 09:30 AM
That's the problem: you're putting Malone in the Finals when he wouldn't have made it a lot of times. Malone and Nazr are gonna make the Spurs top 5 defensive teams, which is why they won so much in the early-to-mid 2000s? :oldlol:

dantoni suns are now winning against spurs between 2003 and 2008 ?????? wtf...who else? melo nuggets? deron williams jazz?? ray allen sonics?? come on...is not just the finals....the only two teams that could give malone

305Baller
08-10-2014, 10:18 AM

2/5

JtotheIzzo
08-10-2014, 10:28 AM

Barkley was washed up when he washed ashore in Houston. Phoenix Barkley wasn't even as good as Phila Barkley despite the MVP (though Barkley's real MVP season was 1990 when they gifted it to Magic. Chuck had more first place votes, but some butthurt reporters kept him off their list).

He wasn't chasing rings, he was going into retirement. Guy let himself get fat before he got there.

JtotheIzzo
08-10-2014, 10:29 AM
Blake griffin > Kemp

Cp3 = Isiah

Steph Curry > Stockton

Paul George = Pippen

someone seriously needs to punch you right in the nuts. and that WAS me who negged you and gave you your third red bar, be happy I will need to spread some rep around before repping you again.

JtotheIzzo
08-10-2014, 10:35 AM

The same way they will say Bran let Boris Diaw, JJ Barea, Jason Terry, Kwahi Leonard run roughshod all over him and get rings.

Lucky Ray Allen showed up one time.

ArbitraryWater
08-10-2014, 10:45 AM
"Jordan era"

They never even faced Jordan... He's talking about them as trio you