PDA

View Full Version : kevin love trade could be blocked

JohnMax
08-09-2014, 08:58 PM
Report: NBA could block Kevin Love trade if agreement for him to sign long-term in Cleveland is already in place (http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/08/08/report-nba-could-block-kevin-love-trade-if-agreement-for-him-to-sign-long-term-in-cleveland-is-already-in-place)

04mzwach
08-09-2014, 08:59 PM
Extremely unlikely. ..They're reaching for more stories I think

JT123
08-09-2014, 09:00 PM
NBA would have to prove Love agreed to an extension with the Cavs, which they won't be able to do no matter how much they suspect it. :lol

TheMarkMadsen
08-09-2014, 09:00 PM
Dat collusion.

Nice to see the nba take a stand

poido123
08-09-2014, 09:01 PM
Scary.

This could seriously FCK over the cavs badly.

Can you imagine being Bennett and Wiggins? They would be so salty towards cavs/lebron if this fell through...

Cocaine80s
08-09-2014, 09:02 PM
lettuce be real, Lebron owns this league.

they aint blocking shit

MadSolar
08-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Dan Gilbert cried when Hornets traded CP3 to the Lakers so its only same thing qould happen to his ass.

Adam Silver
08-09-2014, 09:04 PM
Basketball reasons? lol jk, I love LeBron too much.

no pun intended
08-09-2014, 09:09 PM
Not going to happen.

dubeta
08-09-2014, 09:11 PM
imagine the trade gets blocked, and the league says they cant trade him for like 6 months

Then during the trade deadline, the Twolves get desperate and give Love for like Waiters and bennett only

Irving
Wiggins
Bran
Love
Andy

JohnFreeman
08-09-2014, 09:13 PM
They won't block it

04mzwach
08-09-2014, 09:16 PM
Dan Gilbert cried when Hornets traded CP3 to the Lakers so its only same thing qould happen to his ass.
A league owner would have to scream like Gilbert did probably and considering it's not involving a large market like the Lakers that it won't be voted on. They had just passed something that would discourage stars be taken away from small markets when this happened. It'd have to be voted on too like with Paul is my guess. This case seems like they'd need proof though?

Sarcastic
08-09-2014, 09:18 PM
imagine the trade gets blocked, and the league says they cant trade him for like 6 months

Then during the trade deadline, the Twolves get desperate and give Love for like Waiters and bennett only

Irving
Wiggins
Bran
Love
Andy

They would get about 29 better offers than that.

poido123
08-09-2014, 09:19 PM
lettuce be real, Lebron owns this league.

they aint blocking shit

Isn't lebron a member of the NBA committee or something? :lol

dubeta
08-09-2014, 09:21 PM

Love will only sign an extension with the Cavs

So Twolves are handicapped

J Shuttlesworth
08-09-2014, 09:27 PM
How can he commit long term anyway besides verbally?

played0ut
08-09-2014, 09:31 PM
^
verbal contracts are legal and binding, unless it's a 'frivolous' promise like telling someone you'd buy them a car.

But it would be unenforceable in this case because they're not allowed to deal before Wiggin's date is up.

Anyhoo, after reading the source, looks like it's all pomp that the NBA was forced to do.

The trade will happen anyway, but since random reports of the Love deal started coming out (which is illegal since Wiggins' date isn't up yet) the NBA pretty much had no choice but to give a 'statement' saying illegal deals are not tolerable.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports initially reported that “Cleveland is making the deal with Minnesota with a firm agreement Love will opt out of his contract in 2015 and re-sign with the Cavaliers on a five-year, $120 million-plus contract extension.” That’s the point of contention that could potentially allow the league to step in, but good luck proving it in any capacity.

Sarcastic
08-09-2014, 09:32 PM
Love will only sign an extension with the Cavs

So Twolves are handicapped

Not at the trade deadline. Some teams will give up more than that for a rental.

Hell Miami would give up Chalmers for him. That would trump the Clev offer.

OncePerMonth
08-09-2014, 09:34 PM
Again, NBA not selling Wiggins jerseys and now apparently giving refunds is shady.

Mr. Incredible
08-09-2014, 09:36 PM
LeBron is pretty much the commissioner at this point. It won't be blocked.

Cocaine80s
08-09-2014, 09:39 PM

there is no chance a team would give up players on par with Wiggins, Bennett, and a first rounder just to rent Love for a few months :oldlol:

dubeta
08-09-2014, 09:39 PM

Funniest thing I heard all day

Heck right now Waiters is probably already better than Wade, and Bennett improved a lot from last year, huge upside

And your comparing that package to Mario 'scrub' chalmers?? :oldlol:

Meticode
08-09-2014, 09:45 PM
It would be funny if it happened. There is still roughly 14-16 days until the trade is official if it goes through. Anything can happen.

http://nyc.barstoolsports.com/files/2011/12/CP-got-Stern_d_medium.gif

poido123
08-09-2014, 09:49 PM
Again, NBA not selling Wiggins jerseys and now apparently giving refunds is shady.

That's a good point you bring up.

If the NBA wasn't supporting this trade, shit like this wouldn't be happening.

If that isn't evidence of a trade happening, I don't know what is :lol

I mean, you only have to go on social Media and see how many people are reporting the details of the trade :rolleyes:

Personally, I have no problem with love going there. But why make the rules if you don't fairly enforce them under ALL circumstances.

The Lakers got screwed pretty bad.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-09-2014, 09:50 PM
doubt it happens...tough to prove a verbal agreement...

Meticode
08-09-2014, 09:52 PM
The Lakers got screwed pretty bad.
It's business.

‎"NBA owners collectively own NOH, they saved them last year when they went bankrupt. The Hornets got back 15 million extra in the trade for Paul. Because of that, the other 28 owners pretty much would've had to foot a 15 million dollar bill... because the Hornets are NBA owned. Obviously they said no to that. Slash, they didn't want the first trade post-lockout to be made by the league. Literally has nothing to do with the trade it has everything to do with the fact that the other owners shouldn't be stuck paying for the new salary NOH just traded for.

- NBA insider from CBS sports "

That's messed up that the Lakers were going to get better, trade and get Chris Paul, but gain $15 million in cap space. LOL

poido123
08-09-2014, 09:55 PM
doubt it happens...tough to prove a verbal agreement...

Wiggins jerseys taken off the shelf and details of the trade smattered all over the internet?

I hope the trade goes through, no team or players deserve to have a veto. But I'm one for fairness too.

Why should Lakers have a vetoed trade and not one here? I blame the rules which are too ambiguous or unclear to sort out a legit veto.

JT123
08-09-2014, 10:00 PM
Wiggins jerseys taken off the shelf and details of the trade smattered all over the internet?

I hope the trade goes through, no team or players deserve to have a veto. But I'm one for fairness too.

Why should Lakers have a vetoed trade and not one here? I blame the rules which are too ambiguous or unclear to sort out a legit veto.
Cause the other owners were sick of the Lakers benefitting from suspiciously lopsided trades. This trade is fair, and even if it wasn't the Cavs don't have a history of getting special treatment from the league.

qrich
08-09-2014, 10:02 PM

The Paul to the Lakers trade was rejected because the NBA OWNED the Hornets, and felt that wasn't the best return for the direction they were headed into.

The league does NOT own the Cavaliers, therefore, they can not reject the deal due to direction, but can reject it only due to tampering/any illegal activity they feel might be going on.

A better comparison would be the Clippers getting jobbed out of a DJ for KG swap last year, though, it ended up working in our favor.

poido123
08-09-2014, 10:06 PM
The Paul to the Lakers trade was rejected because the NBA OWNED the Hornets, and felt that wasn't the best return for the direction they were headed into.

The league does NOT own the Cavaliers, therefore, they can not reject the deal due to direction, but can reject it only due to tampering/any illegal activity they feel might be going on.

A better comparison would be the Clippers getting jobbed out of a DJ for KG swap last year, though, it ended up working in our favor.

Thanks for clarifying.

Again, I am not a fan of vetoes at all...

Teams should be allowed to do what they want, regardless of how dumb the other franchise is.

Heatles201
08-09-2014, 10:12 PM
Thanks for clarifying.

Again, I am not a fan of vetoes at all...

Teams should be allowed to do what they want, regardless of how dumb the other franchise is.

The issue with the LA CP3 trade is that since it was league owned its basically what the other 28 OWNERS wanted, people usually say Oh stern is a ****** for blocking that CP3 trade. He really had no say he was just a puppet, the 28 owners or at least the majority said CP3 ON LA for that trade? not happening aka we pay you stern so you better veto

TheMarkMadsen
08-09-2014, 10:14 PM
It's business.

That's messed up that the Lakers were going to get better, trade and get Chris Paul, but gain $15 million in cap space. LOL

"Aw boo hoo the lakers were making an extremely smart & savy trade, somebody please stop them :cry: :cry:"

RoundMoundOfReb
08-09-2014, 10:14 PM

That was done by the NBA not the Cavs...

and there are huge differences between this scenario and the lakers' one...for one the league doesnt own the t-wolves

Sarcastic
08-09-2014, 10:26 PM
there is no chance a team would give up players on par with Wiggins, Bennett, and a first rounder just to rent Love for a few months :oldlol:

He didn't include Wiggins. He thinks Waiters and Anthony Bust will be enough to trade for Love at the deadline.

ProfessorMurder
08-09-2014, 10:28 PM
That'd be hilarious if it was blocked.

Meticode
08-09-2014, 11:18 PM
"Aw boo hoo the lakers were making an extremely smart & savy trade, somebody please stop them :cry: :cry:"
Then the league owners said f*ck you, we're not trading Chris Paul then paying $15 million more in salary. :oldlol:

jbryan1984
08-10-2014, 12:05 AM
I never knew it was against the rules for a player to agree to an extension?

MadSolar
08-10-2014, 12:22 AM
NBA is on Lebrons dick this year because it would be a good story that Lebron comes home and wins a ring for cavs.

poido123
08-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Here's an interesting post I read from another NBA forum:

"It's not a murder trial. The level of proof the league needs is not a signed document. The level of proof they require is that it would not of happened without circumventing the CBA. That's it.

The rule outlaws verbal agreements, 'understandings' and other handshake deals, and I don't know why people keep insisting that a signed document would be 'proof' of an understanding between two parties.

To comply with the CBA, Love would need to sign the extention now, then everything works. But Cleveland would be idiots to trade the number 1 pick for a year's rental of Love and wear all the risk just so he can get more money by being an unrestricted FA. And that's all the proof the league would need."

navy
08-10-2014, 12:41 AM
real GM

:biggums:

Mods.

HOoopCityJones
08-10-2014, 12:43 AM
The funniest part about the Hornets thing is , it's not like the trade they got from the Clippers was significantly better , I don't even remember the last time Eric Gordon played Basketball.

That veto was more about the Lakers instantly getting better again after three straight Finals appearances, rather than the trade being lopsided.

poido123
08-10-2014, 12:44 AM
:biggums:

Mods.

:rolleyes:

I felt that the post has relevance to the topic at hand.

I can edit it since it bothers you so much :facepalm

navy
08-10-2014, 12:45 AM
The funniest part about the Hornets thing is , it's not like the trade they got from the Clippers was significantly better , I don't even remember the last time Eric Gordon played Basketball.

That veto was more about the Lakers instantly getting better again after three straight Finals appearances, rather than the trade being lopsided.
The veto was because the League owned the team and nobody wanted CP3 on the Lakers.

poido123
08-10-2014, 12:48 AM
So in short, the league can make a ruling of foul play based on love being a one year rental and the cavs not getting enough in return...

This has legs to it.

no pun intended
08-10-2014, 12:51 AM
It's business.

Props to the Lakers' front office for almost pulling that off. It's not messed up when they were playing by the rules.

HOoopCityJones
08-10-2014, 12:54 AM
The veto was because the League owned the team and nobody wanted CP3 on the Lakers.

And I'm telling you it's more of the former instead of the latter.

navy
08-10-2014, 01:03 AM
And I'm telling you it's more of the former instead of the latter.
The reason for the former was the latter. :confusedshrug:

RedBlackAttack
08-10-2014, 01:23 AM
I'm sure teams are literally lining the streets to get a one-year rental of a disgruntled Love. :oldlol:

They'd probably get 2-3 (real) offers, including the one made by the Cavs.

Cocaine80s
08-10-2014, 01:53 AM
So in short, the league can make a ruling of foul play based on love being a one year rental and the cavs not getting enough in return...

This has legs to it.
Inb4 twolves forced to throw in Lavine to Cleveland :banana:

Fiasco
08-10-2014, 02:39 AM

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. It allows us to remodel history in a manner that fits our narrative.

At the time the proposed package for CP3 was considered ludicrously lopsided in LAL's favour. Scour the older threads that covered the proposed deal and assets being sent to the Hornets*

LAC's package (at the time) was far more lucrative and promising than what New Orleans was initially going to take.

And yeah it's still weird that Dragic is now the best piece out of everything offered.

GimmeThat
08-10-2014, 03:00 AM
dude, they signed Wiggins contract and you actually still think they are going to trade him?

dubeta
08-10-2014, 03:10 AM
If after all this, for revenge Wiggins dunks on LeBron when they play, would ISH crash?

bdreason
08-10-2014, 03:22 AM
Honestly I thought the plan for Love to "verbally agree" to opt out and sign a 5-year deal sounded shady... not because it circumvented to CBA, but because what guarantee would the Cavs really have? I even made a joke that both LeBron and Love could walk at the end of the first year.

I actually agree with the NBA here. If the Love trade goes down, Love needs to immediately sign an extension, even if that means he makes less money. You can't allow players and teams to make backroom handshake deals.

BoutPractice
08-10-2014, 05:11 AM
There's always a risk, but someone would need to badly screw up.

What's funny about all this is that the agreement actually exists... yet the whole success of the operation that will lead to Love signing long term depends on the interested parties denying the whole thing.

niko
08-10-2014, 09:43 AM
There's no such thing. An agreement is like you promising to love your girlfriend forever. It's binding unless a hotter girl comes along. If he agrees to stay and doesn't , he doesn't.

Makes no sense .

Derka
08-10-2014, 10:07 AM
Extremely unlikely. ..They're reaching for more stories I think
Very much this.

niko
08-10-2014, 10:29 AM
There's no way to have a binding agreement so there is nothing to block.

Meticode
08-10-2014, 10:32 AM
Inb4 twolves forced to throw in Lavine to Cleveland :banana:
Stan. :lol

Optimus Prime
08-10-2014, 10:39 AM
"Basketball reasons"

J/K it's LeBron. :kobe:

JtotheIzzo
08-10-2014, 10:41 AM
[QUOTE]Wolves were infamously sanctioned heavily in 2000 after it was discovered that the club had promised a lucrative future contract

Optimus Prime
08-10-2014, 10:53 AM

Typical revisionist history coming from a Clipper fanboi. :facepalm

How about that return New Orleans eventually got for Chris Paul, huh? Any objective basketball person realizes it was horrible, and the Lakers offer was way better. Gordon's awful contract, Kaman for a year, some scrubs, and by David Stern's manipulation, the pick turned into the #1 overall pick Anthony Davis. But hey, that was just luck right, just like Ewing going to the Knicks in the first lottery. :facepalm

But hey, your team got the steal in the end, so "basketball reasons" amirite? And they're even in the exact same large market, but it's just cooler to hate on the Lakers because they've actually won something and mattered. :kobe:

Magic 32
08-10-2014, 10:56 AM
Lets hope so.

Kobe would have 6 or 7 championships if not for the CP3 block.

It's time to turn the table on the guy who benefited last time.

ralph_i_el
08-10-2014, 11:11 AM
Typical revisionist history coming from a Clipper fanboi. :facepalm

How about that return New Orleans eventually got for Chris Paul, huh? Any objective basketball person realizes it was horrible, and the Lakers offer was way better. Gordon's awful contract, Kaman for a year, some scrubs, and by David Stern's manipulation, the pick turned into the #1 overall pick Anthony Davis. But hey, that was just luck right, just like Ewing going to the Knicks in the first lottery. :facepalm

But hey, your team got the steal in the end, so "basketball reasons" amirite? And they're even in the exact same large market, but it's just cooler to hate on the Lakers because they've actually won something and mattered. :kobe:

Eric Gordon was an asset at the time and no one knew dragic was going to be a star. Didn't make sense for the hornets to take on a bunch of vets and be mediocre forever.

Optimus Prime
08-10-2014, 11:16 AM
Eric Gordon was an asset at the time and no one knew dragic was going to be a star. Didn't make sense for the hornets to take on a bunch of vets and be mediocre forever.

"At the time, Sam Bowie was a better pick than Michael Jordan." "At the time, Darko was a better pick than Carmelo Anthony, Chris Bosh and Dwyane Wade." Etc etc... :facepalm

People going out of their way to justify and defend terrible moves is just absurd. At least be honest about what it was, even now. It was just a move to screw the Lakers, because they were winning too much, have won too much in the past and would win more after the trade. There is literally zero sane argument to be made nowadays to defend "basketball reasons". None. It was the Montreal Screwjob, and the Lakers were Bret Hart. Haters will never admit that though, because it's cool to hate on the Lakers. :kobe:

keep-itreal
08-10-2014, 11:21 AM
so is this trade happening or not?

Meticode
08-10-2014, 11:22 AM
so is this trade happening or not?
13-15 days will answer that question.

Dr.J4ever
08-10-2014, 12:26 PM
13-15 days will answer that question.

This is gonna happen. In fact, this whole thread is just silly. If you read the article itself, it concludes by saying these type of things are difficult to prove. So unless there's a stupid person here who put something in writing, that Love will re-sign with the Cavs, there's no way this deal is getting blocked.

The whole article is just an article with a juicy headline, but with nothing inside.

/thread

OncePerMonth
08-10-2014, 12:43 PM
This is gonna happen. In fact, this whole thread is just silly. If you read the article itself, it concludes by saying these type of things are difficult to prove. So unless there's a stupid person here who put something in writing, that Love will re-sign with the Cavs, there's no way this deal is getting blocked.

The whole article is just an article with a juicy headline, but with nothing inside.

/thread

Sounds about right.

D-Rose
08-10-2014, 01:36 PM
This is really all a non-story. As long as nothing is in writing or there is no proof, this means nothing.

bdreason
08-11-2014, 06:09 AM
This is really all a non-story. As long as nothing is in writing or there is no proof, this means nothing.

They didn't need proof when they stopped KG from being traded to the Clippers.

PickernRoller
08-11-2014, 06:36 AM
If the league is wise they would block this trade and promote their new golden boy Durant as the face of the league. Lebron's time has passed.

poido123
08-11-2014, 06:50 AM

The league doesn't need proof (reference my earlier post in this thread), they only need to suspect foul play and if they decide to act upon some of the behind the scenes handshakes or verbal agreements, there's nothing the two parties can do about it...

poido123
08-11-2014, 06:52 AM

/thread

You really don't understand how it works.

The league doesn't need a "piece of paper" to do anything.

It could simply be a verbal agreement, the league only needs to suspect foul play.

That's it.