PDA

View Full Version : What type of offensive role should the cavs run in order to succeed

VIntageNOvel
08-10-2014, 12:55 AM
I say give Love role as main option in offense,
let lebron handle the ball and facilitate
kyrie as a spot up shooter

yours?

stalkerforlife
08-10-2014, 12:56 AM
I fear Lebron will try to sabotage Love if he plays too well, especially in the finals.

Kvnzhangyay
08-10-2014, 12:56 AM
I fear Lebron will try to sabotage Love if he plays too well, especially in the finals.

Same but swithc Love and Lebron. Lebron is just a competitor that wants to win at all costs, but Love desperately wants to improve his stats

dubeta
08-10-2014, 12:57 AM

This isnt '04 Kobe here :facepalm

JohnFreeman
08-10-2014, 12:58 AM
Pass the ball to LeBron and get out the way

stalkerforlife
08-10-2014, 12:58 AM
This isnt '04 Kobe here :facepalm

OncePerMonth
08-10-2014, 01:00 AM
They should adopt Spurs '14 offense to be most effective, obviously.

J Shuttlesworth
08-10-2014, 01:01 AM
I'd say let Kyrie facilitate the ball most of the game. During close games/important situations, let LeBron facilitate. This allows Kyrie to develop a good connection w/ Love, and also allows LeBron to sharpen his off ball game and also gives Bron some freedom to next exert too much energy in the season.

navy
08-10-2014, 01:01 AM
:rockon:

Forget offense. The Defense is what will be important.

VIntageNOvel
08-10-2014, 01:04 AM
I'd say let Kyrie facilitate the ball most of the game. During close games/important situations, let LeBron facilitate. This allows Kyrie to develop a good connection w/ Love, and also allows LeBron to sharpen his off ball game and also gives Bron some freedom to next exert too much energy in the season.

kyrie is as much ballhog as westbrook
he would yolo shoot it and its 2011 all over again

HOoopCityJones
08-10-2014, 01:08 AM
kyrie is as much ballhog as westbrook
he would yolo shoot it and its 2011 all over again

Screw the Offense, this Team will definitely score , especially with Blatt running this Team. The real question is how will they look defensively?

Blatt is no Spo, which means no more crafty Defensive schemes that clog the paint and good rotations to shooters.

Between Love -Irving - Waiters , how much will Lebron have to compensate on D? I don't think Lebron thought this through.

He should have been trying to keep Wiggins if anything , and try to ship Waiters out, but alas.

VIntageNOvel
08-10-2014, 01:11 AM
Screw the Offense, this Team will definitely score , especially with Blatt running this Team. The real question is how will they look defensively?

Blatt is no Spo, which means no more crafty Defensive schemes that clog the paint and good rotations to shooters.

Between Love -Irving - Waiters , how much will Lebron have to compensate on D? I don't think Lebron thought this through.

He should have been trying to keep Wiggins if anything , and try to ship Waiters out, but alas.

and bran has been lazy in defense

no pun intended
08-10-2014, 01:11 AM
This.

The Cavs had a 66-16 record before by just doing this. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

HOoopCityJones
08-10-2014, 01:14 AM
and bran has been lazy in defense

Well, supposedly he's lost alot of weight so that might be different this year, but that'll change if he has to carry a heavy load on Defense and Offense. Because let's be clear, LBJ will eat first on this Team, which could ironically make Love and Irving check out on Defense all the more.

Plus the old timers: Varajeo , Miller and maybe Allen and Marion too.

How much will they be relying on these guys defensively?

Prometheus
08-10-2014, 01:18 AM
lots and lots and lots of PnR

RedBlackAttack
08-10-2014, 01:21 AM
Yes, Kyrie's talents will certainly be fully realized as a "spot-up shooter." :facepalm

I think it is nearing the time for me to avoid the Main Forum. There are so many takes on the Cavs that are just so incredibly bewildering, it's frankly hard to stomach. I guess that tends to happen when a team that no one outside of diehard fans have watched for four consecutive years is suddenly thrust into being arguably the league's marquee and most marketable roster, but a man can take only so much.

Many aren't even attempting to grasp simple concepts, like that Kyrie Irving is arguably the best ball-handler in the entire NBA and that may be a skill that could be useful on a team like this. Or, that guys who are going to have a major role on this team like Dion Waiters and Anderson Varejao are being completely omitted from conversation all together.

Then, there's the fact that other moves are coming, so detailing the "roles" of players at this relatively early stage in the roster-building process is futile.

But, please.... continue the pointless banter.

stalkerforlife
08-10-2014, 01:24 AM
Yes, Kyrie's talents will certainly be fully realized as a "spot-up shooter." :facepalm

I think it is nearing the time for me to avoid the Main Forum. There are so many takes on the Cavs that are just so incredibly bewildering, it's frankly hard to stomach. I guess that tends to happen when a team that no one outside of diehard fans have watched for four consecutive years is suddenly thrust into being arguably the league's marquee and most marketable roster, but a man can take only so much.

Many aren't even attempting to grasp simple concepts, like that Kyrie Irving is arguably the best ball-handler in the entire NBA and that may be a skill that could be useful on a team like this. Or, that guys who are going to have a major role on this team like Dion Waiters and Anderson Varejao are being completely omitted from conversation all together.

Then, there's the fact that other moves are coming, so detailing the "roles" of players at this relatively early stage in the roster-building process is futile.

:biggums:

Prometheus
08-10-2014, 01:24 AM

:applause:

But even without knowing how the roster will exactly look, I still think it's safe to say there will be a ton of high pick and rolls with bron or kyrie handling and love or andy as the roll/fade(love) guy...

Prometheus
08-10-2014, 01:25 AM

do you watch basketball?

navy
08-10-2014, 01:25 AM
Ship out Kyrie for Damien Lillard.

Much better three point shooter. Similar defense. (None)

RedBlackAttack
08-10-2014, 01:26 AM
Your red bars are well earned, I see. Please have some more. And, I raise your :biggums: with :biggums: :biggums: .

But, please... by all means. Continue talking completely out of your rectum.

Smoke117
08-10-2014, 01:27 AM
Has anyone who says Kevin Love should be the first option over Lebron...ever even watched Kevin Love play? I know their are a lot of lebron haters just posting nonsense, but if there actual people that think a guy who played 6 years and took his team nowhere should be the first option over a 4 time MVP, multiple 60 win team, 2 time champion is retarded.

RedBlackAttack
08-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Ship out Kyrie for Damien Lillard.

Much better three point shooter. Similar defense. (None)
Might I suggest Pablo Prigioni. I think he's your man. An astonishing 46.4% from behind the arc. I'm certain he'll be a key cog to many championship runs.

Also, I'm unsurprised to see you still relentlessly trolling after being away from the site for a couple days. Well done.

Prometheus
08-10-2014, 01:28 AM
Has anyone who says Kevin Love should be the first option over Lebron...ever even watched Kevin Love play? I know their are a lot of lebron haters just posting nonsense, but if there actual people that think a guy who played 6 years and took his team nowhere should be the first option over a 4 time MVP, multiple 60 win team, 2 time champion is retarded.

Don't let trolls think you're taking their words seriously. It means they're winning.

Smoke117
08-10-2014, 01:30 AM
Don't let trolls think you're taking their words seriously. It means they're winning.

I'm drinking, so they can't really win as i can just play the buzzed card.

navy
08-10-2014, 01:31 AM
Might I suggest Pablo Prigioni. I think he's your man. An astonishing 46.4% from behind the arc. I'm certain he'll be a key cog to many championship runs.

Also, I'm unsurprised to see you still relentlessly trolling after being away from the site for a couple days. Well done.

Prigioni to the Cavs. :rockon:

Probably a better defender than Kyrie and Lillard as well.

stalkerforlife
08-10-2014, 01:33 AM
Your red bars are well earned, I see. Please have some more. And, I raise your :biggums: with :biggums: :biggums: .

Paul
Curry
Rose
Rondo

Just off the top of my head, those guys murk your boy with their handles.

VIntageNOvel
08-10-2014, 01:38 AM

you missed the point,
no one saying kyrie is incompetent
but someone has to take the back seat, and it wont be lebron,

if all of em want to be the man, it would be like 2011 heat

unless blatt can implement the spurs like offense to the team, kyrie would be nothing but spot up shooter in lebron's offense

Prometheus
08-10-2014, 01:38 AM
Paul
Curry
Rose
Rondo

Paul and Curry can be argued for, the others not at all. Rose is just more athletic and explosive but his handles are not even close to Kyrie's, and Rondo is a crafty, savvy, gritty, excellent playoff performer with clutch genes and super high BBall IQ, whose passing is elite and whose handles are also not even close to Kyrie's.

I'm getting sick of arguing with you for today though, so carry on.

stalkerforlife
08-10-2014, 01:39 AM
Paul and Curry can be argued for, the others not at all. Rose is just more athletic and explosive but his handles are not even close to Kyrie's, and Rondo is a crafty, savvy, gritty, excellent playoff performer with clutch genes and super high BBall IQ, whose passing is elite and whose handles are also not even close to Kyrie's.

Future neg for ass kissing of a mod.

Prometheus
08-10-2014, 01:41 AM
Future neg for ass kissing of a mod.

literally didn't realize he was a mod. all good though, he was right either way. couldn't care less about green and red bars, though it's funny someone who has been negged as much as you would threaten someone else with it :oldlol:

fpliii
08-10-2014, 01:42 AM
I'm not sure, but we do know a couple of things:

1) He's a big fan of the Princeton, and from my understanding he's used those principles when coaching throughout his career.

2) He loves the stretch-4:

Blatt abides by the Princeton offense's principles, he has said, though tweaked for the modern game. That means his system depends on proper floor spacing. To achieve that, his offenses lean on the "stretch four," or a power forward who plays on the perimeter, the position that has overtaken the NBA in recent years. Stretch fours are useful not only because they're added shooting threats. Their absence down low also opens up the lane and makes it easier for drivers, like James, to finish around the rim.

"This is the different and unique style in Europe," said former Blatt assistant coach Guy Goodes, his Maccabi Tel Aviv successor.

James, who can play any position at any time, may be an option in that role for the Cavaliers. But that style explains why Cleveland is eyeing the NBA's stretchiest four: Minnesota Timberwolves forward Kevin Love.

source: http://online.wsj.com/articles/how-an-unknown-coach-will-make-lebron-even-better-1406598532

LeBron never really played the 4 [power forward] in Cleveland, but he played it a ton in Miami. Will you use him in that role, with just one traditional big man on the floor?

I just came from the land of the stretch 4s. Stretch 4s became popular in the United States because of Europe. If anyone knows that style of play, it’s probably me. Yeah, you’ll see LeBron there. You’ll see LeBron all over the floor, just like he’s used to playing. I don’t have to change him.

source: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-cavs-coach-david-blatt-on-lebron-princeton-and-the-natural/

Make of the two articles what you will.

Somebody also sent me this link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W45O5nwSeCA

I know people have mixed feelings about Coach Nick, and I haven't sat down to watch it yet, but I've heard there's some good analysis.

LeBron freelanced a lot in Cleveland (round 1) and Miami. There's going to be a system in place now, and even if there's not hard play-calling, it seems to be very much a read-and-react/principle-oriented system, so a lot of the decision making will be made in training camp and in practice while the offense is installed. Obviously he will break out of it late in games, but there will largely be structure in place.

stalkerforlife
08-10-2014, 01:42 AM
literally didn't realize he was a mod. all good though, he was right either way. couldn't care less about green and red bars, though it's funny someone who has been negged as much as you would threaten someone else with it :oldlol:

:roll:

Rameek
08-10-2014, 01:47 AM
If they could run a motion offense that would be pretty. I can see why someone would want to run the offense through Love. He is pretty efficient offensively and versatile. Love is the master of carrying an offense for 3 quarters that would save LBJ to pick and choose how to score. Kyrie should be the 3rd option at most drive and kick. Kyrie has to be taught not to take on 1 on 4/5. Love and Andy will clean up the glass nicely.

coin24
08-10-2014, 01:49 AM
Probably iso bran, hold the ball till 2 sec left on the shot clock then kick to anyone for 3:oldlol:

Let's hope the spurs make the finals again:lol

alexd
08-10-2014, 02:54 AM
Love will definitely be a stretch 4
I think something like the Miami heat.lebron and kyrie will take turns on handling the ball
For me the real question is whether waiters starts or accept a 6th man role ala many.i think it would be better for the team to have him as a 6th man.love kyrie and lebron are enough offensive power,and then waiters can be the main man at the second unit.but will he let his ego and accept this role?

CavaliersFTW
08-10-2014, 03:18 AM
Transition and free flow primarily a-la 60's Celtics and 80's Lakers but I doubt it will happen... Blatt better have some backup half-court offensive plays too if he wants to go half court, i'm sick and ****ing tired of seeing Mike Brown's half court "give it to the best player at the 3 point arc and let them drain the clock while the other 4 stand and watch" offense.

LoneyROY7
08-10-2014, 03:35 AM
LeBron playing the role of LeBron.

Love playing the role of Miami Heat Chris Bosh.

Kyrie playing the role of Mo Williams.

BrownEye007
08-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Paul
Curry
Rose
Rondo

Chris Paul, Kyrie Irving and Jamal Crawford are the best ball handlers in the league. You can pick the order of those 3 but make no mistake they are the best.

ralph_i_el
08-10-2014, 11:32 AM
:facepalm
This.

The Cavs had a 66-16 record before by just doing this. If it ain't broke, then don't fix it.

:facepalm
On a team stacked with defenders

Meticode
08-10-2014, 11:34 AM
Probably iso bran, hold the ball till 2 sec left on the shot clock then kick to anyone for 3:oldlol:

Let's hope the spurs make the finals again:lol
At least you're realistic about the Lakers failing.

FatComputerNerd
08-10-2014, 11:42 AM

This. I don't think even Paul or Curry can be argued TBH.

Kyrie is a great shooter, so I see why some people think he should play off the ball more. I think we've already seen this a bit, when we were running that 3-guard lineup with some combo of Delly, Jack, and Dion out there with Kyrie.

I'm sure we will see the same thing at times in seasons to come, especially having one of the best point-forwards ever on the team. Kyrie is still our PG though, and should be our primary ball-handler.

Keep in mind, after his rookie season he started drawing double and triple teams. As soon as he got the ball he would just be swarmed, and had trouble because he did not have much talent surrounding him. Being relied on to be our primary scorer while being triple teamed every time you touch the ball is probably not so easy.

Now add Lebron and Love to the equation. Something tells me he won't have nearly as much pressure on him.

JtotheIzzo
08-10-2014, 11:49 AM
Blatt will run a lot of high post plays for Love and Bran. One interesting angle is that they no longer have athletes to run the backdoor plays Blatt likes except Bran.

Expect Tristan and Kyrie to be the losers here (despite a lot of action for the pg, I think they will run Bran through those as well as Kyrie), expect a lot of fluff about how great Love and Bran's passing is (we know, but after this season it will have been said ad nauseum).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3bJB9JcTo

keep-itreal
08-10-2014, 11:54 AM
The one that allows Lebron to statpad

Bandito
08-10-2014, 12:05 PM

:roll:

FatComputerNerd
08-10-2014, 12:07 PM
Blatt will run a lot of high post plays for Love and Bran. One interesting angle is that they no longer have athletes to run the backdoor plays Blatt likes except Bran.

Expect Tristan and Kyrie to be the losers here (despite a lot of action for the pg, I think they will run Bran through those as well as Kyrie), expect a lot of fluff about how great Love and Bran's passing is (we know, but after this season it will have been said ad nauseum).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yO3bJB9JcTo

You're forgetting about someone else who happens to be one of the best cutting big-men and pick&roll finishers in the game, with hands that are sticky as f*ck. Oh yeah, he has a ton of experience playing with Lebron too.

Kyrie and Dion are both super-athletic btw.