PDA

View Full Version : How better of a scorer was Duncan than KG?

Mass Debator
08-12-2014, 03:57 PM
From ages 21-30:

KG = 21.9 PPG on 49.1% / 5.7 FTA / 54.5% TS / 26.2% USG
TD = 21.8 PPG on 50.9% / 7.5 FTA / 55.4% TS / 28.2% USG

navy
08-12-2014, 04:00 PM
Neither are particularly impressive....

Duncan was more likely to abuse in the post while KG settled for too many jumpers.

Jlamb47
08-12-2014, 04:08 PM
Duncan but its pretty close. Duncan was more of a post player while KG shot too many shots

T_L_P
08-12-2014, 04:32 PM
Playoffs from 21-27 for Garnett: 22.7 PPG on .512 TS%

Duncan from 21-30: 23.8 PPG on .560 TS%

That much better.

oarabbus
08-12-2014, 04:34 PM
From ages 21-30:

KG = 21.9 PPG on 49.1% / 5.7 FTA / 54.5% TS / 26.2% USG
TD = 21.8 PPG on 50.9% / 7.5 FTA / 55.4% TS / 28.2% USG
Duncan is getting to the line on average almost one more time per game, and has nearly 2% better FG. A small improvement, but he is clearly better.

LoneyROY7
08-12-2014, 04:35 PM
Duncan was always a much more forceful player on offense. He would take his man into post and back him deep into the paint for a post hook, etc.

KG on the other hand would play in the post, but was more apt to take a turn-around jumper or stay more on the perimeter and take a mid-range jumper.

IGOTGAME
08-12-2014, 04:42 PM
when you needed a bucket you ran the ball through Duncan and he got one or made a play.

KG used to run from the ball and hide anywhere but in the post.

Duncan just shows its not about how much you score...its about when/where/how. He wouldnt have been more effective if he was scoring 26 per game because he did what was needed each game.

Legends66NBA7
08-12-2014, 04:47 PM
Post their playoff scoring numbers through the same timeline.

aj1987
08-12-2014, 04:49 PM
What about assists?

Mass Debator
08-12-2014, 04:55 PM
Post their playoff scoring numbers through the same timeline.
Well, Duncan's teams' were always 1st or 2nd so he was going up against 7th and 8th seeds. I'm not trying to degrade his performances though. I keep hearing Duncan was almost on par with Dirk when it came to scoring, but when it came to KG, they'd dismiss his scoring talents. KG never had a championship team assembled around him too.

Would I make it more difficult if I asked who was the better offensive player?

T_L_P
08-12-2014, 05:02 PM
Well, Duncan's teams' were always 1st or 2nd so he was going up against 7th and 8th seeds. I'm not trying to degrade his performances though. I keep hearing Duncan was almost on par with Dirk when it came to scoring, but when it came to KG, they'd dismiss his scoring talents. KG never had a championship team assembled around him too.

Would I make it more difficult if I asked who was the better offensive player?

I don't have the stats, but I'm almost positive Duncan's numbers went up after the first round.

Prime Duncan vs. prime Garnett in the Playoffs isn't really a worthy comparison. Even in KG's peak, when he had two very good offensive options to take the load off, he still only shot .508 TS% and .512 TS% in the first couple of rounds.

Duncan dominated the low post and took the high percentage shots. KG, like Ewing and Malone, fell in love with the post fadeaway and midrange shots. Duncan was the better scoring option. :confusedshrug:

sbw19
08-12-2014, 05:05 PM
Offensively Duncan was a mismatch nightmare and had defenders scrambling for help in a way that KG wasn't because

1. He possessed a reliable high-percentage shot: the bank shot. And because it had a high and quick release, it's virtually unguardable.

2. He was more elusive and adept at putting the ball on the floor and drawing fouls.

He didn't score a lot more points than KG, but when he had to his versatility often left defenders clueless as to why he can't be stopped.

IGOTGAME
08-12-2014, 05:19 PM
Offensively Duncan was a mismatch nightmare and had defenders scrambling for help in a way that KG wasn't because

1. He possessed a reliable high-percentage shot: the bank shot. And because it had a high and quick release, it's virtually unguardable.

2. He was more elusive and adept at putting the ball on the floor and drawing fouls.

He didn't score a lot more points than KG, but when he had to his versatility often left defenders clueless as to why he can't be stopped.

Timmy's Bank shot become overrated as his career went on. It just wasnt as high a percentage shot later on. However he was also a high percentage option.

Pointguard
08-12-2014, 05:29 PM
I don't have the stats, but I'm almost positive Duncan's numbers went up after the first round.

Prime Duncan vs. prime Garnett in the Playoffs isn't really a worthy comparison. Even in KG's peak, when he had two very good offensive options to take the load off, he still only shot .508 TS% and .512 TS% in the first couple of rounds.

Duncan dominated the low post and took the high percentage shots. KG, like Ewing and Malone, fell in love with the post fadeaway and midrange shots. Duncan was the better scoring option. :confusedshrug:
What year are you talking about. Are just making nonsense up?

SCdac
08-12-2014, 05:54 PM
Tim Duncan's jumper goes beyond merely a bank shot. He can hit fadeaways (one handed or two handed), regular straight away jumpers (no backboard), little floaters off the dribble, and has hit a rare 3 here and there (remember that shot against the Suns in the playoffs?). He's a good dribbler, playmaker, and has a great ability to read defenses. He WAS the Spurs offense for a number of years.

Pointguard
08-12-2014, 06:12 PM
[B]Offensively Duncan was a mismatch nightmare and had defenders scrambling for help in a way that KG wasn't because

Away from the basket their shots were equal, pretty sure KG hit more efficiently. Tims advantage was on the blocks and as Sdac says so well above.

He wasn't more adept at putting the ball on the floor. KG could play the point. Duncan was better on the blocks and as you said drawing fouls from the block. But Sdac breaks it down very well above.

T_L_P
08-12-2014, 06:35 PM
What year are you talking about. Are just making nonsense up?

2004. Cassell put up 20/3/7 and Sprewell put up 17/4/4.

First round:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2004_WC1.html#MIN-DEN

Second round:

http://www.basketball-reference.com/playoffs/NBA_2004_WCS.html#MIN-SAC

Not making anything up, though I will say, Sprewell's regular season numbers are worse than what I remember them being.

Shot .518 TS% against the Lakers too.