PDA

View Full Version : John Wall on not making Team USA

Legends66NBA7
08-12-2014, 06:00 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24655352/john-wall-on-not-making-team-usa-i-guess-im-overlooked-again

[QUOTE]Washington Wizards guard John Wall was extended a last-minute invitation to Team USA's training camp, and after getting cut he said that he enjoyed his experience but didn't think he was given much of a chance to make the roster, via CSN Washington's Ben Standig:

Asked if he was given a fair shot to make the final 12-player roster, Wall said, "Nah, I don't think so, but it's a part of the game. I'm just happy to have the opportunity to be there and represent my country. I wish them the best of luck and hope they can win gold."

smoovegittar
08-12-2014, 06:06 PM
He took the high road - good. I like John Wall - I think he's on course to be top 3 PG's of the near future. Don't need him getting banged up before the season opens.

MagnumT/A
08-12-2014, 06:09 PM
He took the high road - good. I like John Wall - I think he's on course to be top 3 PG's of the near future. Don't need him getting banged up before the season opens.

Yeah I think that Wall and Beal getting cut is only going to help the Wiz.

Pointguard
08-12-2014, 06:18 PM
Was saying this was going to happen in a post about a week ago. I think he would have got on if Lebron didn't go to Cleveland. I think there were some politics involved with Kyrie. Curry was on for his shooting. Rose for his leadership. Lillard is a gamer that shoots well under pressure. But if there is more cutting it will be Lillard.

raprap
08-12-2014, 06:21 PM
Wall :applause:

This guy is such a pro.

JellyBean
08-12-2014, 06:27 PM
Glad that Wall took the high road in all of this.

RedBlackAttack
08-12-2014, 06:34 PM
Was saying this was going to happen in a post about a week ago. I think he would have got on if Lebron didn't go to Cleveland. I think there were some politics involved with Kyrie. Curry was on for his shooting. Rose for his leadership. Lillard is a gamer that shoots well under pressure. But if there is more cutting it will be Lillard.
Did you happen to see how god awful John Wall looked in the Blue/White scrimmage? While Kyrie looked really good? If there was a close call, don't you think that played into it?

Irving's game is much more suited for the international game. He's also just a flat-out better player, but people haven't quite completely recognized that yet. They will shortly. That's not a slight against Wall, either. He's a damn nice young player. But, some guys are just better than others, even on the elite level.

russwest0
08-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Both Kyrie and Wall shot 35% from 3 last season.

Wall's numbers actually look pretty impressive. 19/9/4/2 ain't bad for a PG.

RedBlackAttack
08-12-2014, 06:49 PM
Both Kyrie and Wall shot 35% from 3 last season.

Wall's numbers actually look pretty impressive. 19/9/4/2 ain't bad for a PG.
Surely you aren't asserting that Wall is even in the same stratosphere as Irving as a shooter, are you? Do you watch the games or just look at statistics?

Also, when a guy shoots 35.8%, you tend to round up... no?

Irving is a career 38% shooter from three, while Wall is 31%. That is a far more accurate portrait of the disparity.

navy
08-12-2014, 06:53 PM
John Wall will be better than Kyrie next year.

Bump this thread when I'm right.

Orlando Magic
08-12-2014, 06:54 PM
Over or under 75% chance of russwest being a fat, pale, out of shape 18 year old?

russwest0
08-12-2014, 06:55 PM
Over or under 75% chance of russwest being a fat, pale, out of shape 18 year old?

21 years old, 6'0, 175 pounds. Rather tan as well.

RedBlackAttack
08-12-2014, 06:56 PM

You hope. I mean, this is what you do right? Disparage LeBron James' teammates so as to shower him with more credit (when things go right) and less of the blame (when things go wrong), correct?

I think in this particular instance, you'll be proven dead wrong, but I guess we'll find out.

RedBlackAttack
08-12-2014, 06:58 PM
http://i33.tinypic.com/2im058p.jpg

^^^russwest0

DaOldLion
08-12-2014, 07:01 PM
Why does he think he wasn't given a fair shot..

Stop being a fcking cry baby. You weren't good enough to make the team

navy
08-12-2014, 07:02 PM
You hope. I mean, this is what you do right? Disparage LeBron James' teammates so as to shower him with more credit (when things go right) and less of the blame (when things go wrong), correct?

I think in this particular instance, you'll be proven dead wrong, but I guess we'll find out.
Nah, Lebrons team is fine. Bad defense, but great offense. Liklely hood of Lebron carrying the defense.....zero.

Not that is relevant anyways, Id rather Kyrie be elite so Lebron can get his next ring. Not like he will better than Lebron no matter what. Back to the topic at hand,

John Wall will be better than Kyrie next year. Already good defense, but still could improve and his offense will take jumps while Kyrie remains static. Other than the improved efficiency from playing with Lebron and Love of course. I see a much higher ceiling for Wall.

russwest0
08-12-2014, 07:04 PM

Kyrie is good but better than Wall?

I don't know about that one... Wall is a better rebounder, defender, distributor, and more durable... Kryie is a better scorer, but what else?

I will say one thing about Wall, and this is just my opinion, but he appears like he's lacking the assassin gene that so many great players have. And it's not even about scoring either. Rondo has it and he's not a prolific scorer.

Spurs5Rings2014
08-12-2014, 07:04 PM

:lol

raprap
08-12-2014, 07:09 PM
Did you happen to see how god awful John Wall looked in the Blue/White scrimmage? While Kyrie looked really good? If there was a close call, don't you think that played into it?

Irving's game is much more suited for the international game. He's also just a flat-out better player, but people haven't quite completely recognized that yet. They will shortly. That's not a slight against Wall, either. He's a damn nice young player. But, some guys are just better than others, even on the elite level.
Dude, you're such a homer. You judge Wall and irvings game in
a scrimmage? Flat out better? Irving hasn't prove anything yet. Kyrie should thank lebron cause he just saved Kyries legacy as a loser.

DaOldLion
08-12-2014, 07:14 PM
a scrimmage? Flat out better? Irving hasn't prove anything yet. Kyrie should thank lebron cause he just saved Kyries legacy as a loser.

This. Kyrie is a borderline top 12 point guard, he's really nothing special. Damon Stoudamire light.

Duke bias & the media wanting people to believe Lebron has adequate teammates is the only reason Kyrie even made the USA team.

RedBlackAttack
08-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Nah, Lebrons team is fine. Bad defense, but great offense. Liklely hood of Lebron carrying the defense.....zero.

Not that is relevant anyways, Id rather Kyrie be elite so Lebron can get his next ring. Not like he will better than Lebron no matter what. Back to the topic at hand,

John Wall will be better than Kyrie next year. Already good defense, but still could improve and his offense will take jumps while Kyrie remains static. Other than the improved efficiency from playing with Lebron and Love of course. I see a much higher ceiling for Wall.
We've never even seen what Kyrie Irving looks like with guys around him who can shoot the ball. Most pretty good point guards can rack up assists simply by driving and kicking to three-point shooters if they have the roster to do it effectively (Beal, Ariza, Webster apply). Spacing is key for successful playmaking point guards.

A starting unit containing some combination of Alonzo Gee, Earl Clark, Tristan Thompson, Anderson Varejao and Luol Deng is not going to do much for your spacing. Waiters took a big leap as a jumpshooter last year, but he was a 31% shooter from distance as a rookie.

This season will be the first time Irving has played on a roster that has even decent (it should be awesome) spacing. If you don't think he is going to improve as a playmaker now that he doesn't have to carry the scoring load, be the team's best shooter and the team's playmaker, I don't know what to tell you.

Kyrie also takes much better care of the ball than Wall, who often gets out of control which has led to an absurd amount of turnovers in his first four years.

Like I said, wait and see.

RedBlackAttack
08-12-2014, 07:17 PM
Of course nothing is "proven" yet. And, I'm not "judging" by the scrimmage... just pointing out that some were saying it was a dead heat going into that scrimmage and Wall was f#cking putrid.

Look, I'm giving my opinion. Don't get your panties in a wad about it. And, Wall had actually won less than Irving three years into his respective career... the exact stage where Irving is now. The Wizards never cracked 30 wins in Wall's first three seasons.

raprap
08-12-2014, 07:25 PM
Of course nothing is "proven" yet. And, I'm not "judging" by the scrimmage... just pointing out that some were saying it was a dead heat going into that scrimmage and Wall was f#cking putrid.

Look, I'm giving my opinion. Don't get your panties in a wad about it. And, Wall had actually won less than Irving three years into his respective career... the exact stage where Irving is now. The Wizards never cracked 30 wins in Wall's first three seasons.
Oh okay. But if someone gives an opinion about how your cavs suck its not okay right? Please back up your opinion on how Kyrie is flat out a better player than Wall. Please do.

RedBlackAttack
08-12-2014, 07:41 PM
Oh okay. But if someone gives an opinion about how your cavs suck its not okay right? Please back up your opinion on how Kyrie is flat out a better player than Wall. Please do.
You can talk about the Cavs "sucking" all you want. Just as long as you're prepared to back it up. Like this...

Irving is a better shooter from literally everywhere on the floor and this is while, again, the Cavs have had objectively awful floor spacing for the past three years while the Wizards' was OK for Wall's first three years and excellent last year. You just have to look at the starting lineups to figure out that much. The Wiz had shooters all over the wings and good offensive players up-front (Gortat, Nene). That was a well put together team.

Still, from 3-10 feet, Irving was far superior last year (37% to 24%), as he was from 10-16 feet (44% to 35%). Wall has almost no in-between game or midrange game whatsoever. From longrange, Irving is a constant threat either in spot-up situations or off-the-dribble. Meanwhile, teams will allow Wall to hoist it up from beyond 15-feet all night long if he wants.

This is where statistics can lie, because while the numbers may show that Irving had "just" a 2% advantage from 16-feet to the three-point line and a 1% advantage from behind the arc last year, defenses have to play them completely differently. Every shot that Irving takes, regardless of where, is game-planned to be contested by the defense. Wall can have pretty much any shot he wants beyond 16-feet.

They've both been excellent finishers since stepping into the league. So, can we objectively say that Irving is much better scorer than Wall will likely ever be? I believe we can.

Also an easy nod to Irving in the handle department. Wall has always been a bit sloppy with the ball and often gets out-of-control on his dribble drives. He is a killer when he gets going in a straight line to the basket, but re-route him into changing direction and you can force him into turnovers. Wall averaged 3.6 turnovers per game last season, one of the highest marks amongst all point guards. Irving settled in with a much improved 2.7 per game.

In fact, their assist-to-turnover ratio was incredibly close (Wall 2.44, Irving 2.28).

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/assistTurnoverRatio

And, again, playmaking will be something that we'll be able to judge better this season since this is the first time Irving will (presumably) be on a team with proper offensive floor spacing. Up to this point, Wall has been the better playmaker of the two, but Kyrie hasn't exactly had a ton to work with.

Defensively, no question Wall has been the better player. He's also a slightly better rebounder.

But, taking everything else into account and the fact that Irving is over a year younger and a year less experienced... yes, I think eventually Irving will be considered the better player. We'll see how it plays out. I will freely admit it if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

To4
08-12-2014, 07:55 PM
Wall is a better player. Irving is more suited for the team because of his shooting. deal with it

raprap
08-12-2014, 08:22 PM
You can talk about the Cavs "sucking" all you want. Just as long as you're prepared to back it up. Like this...

Irving is a better shooter from literally everywhere on the floor and this is while, again, the Cavs have had objectively awful floor spacing for the past three years while the Wizards' was OK for Wall's first three years and excellent last year. You just have to look at the starting lineups to figure out that much. The Wiz had shooters all over the wings and good offensive players up-front (Gortat, Nene). That was a well put together team.

Still, from 3-10 feet, Irving was far superior last year (37% to 24%), as he was from 10-16 feet (44% to 35%). Wall has almost no in-between game or midrange game whatsoever. From longrange, Irving is a constant threat either in spot-up situations or off-the-dribble. Meanwhile, teams will allow Wall to hoist it up from beyond 15-feet all night long if he wants.

This is where statistics can lie, because while the numbers may show that Irving had "just" a 2% advantage from 16-feet to the three-point line and a 1% advantage from behind the arc last year, defenses have to play them completely differently. Every shot that Irving takes, regardless of where, is game-planned to be contested by the defense. Wall can have pretty much any shot he wants beyond 16-feet.

They've both been excellent finishers since stepping into the league. So, can we objectively say that Irving is much better scorer than Wall will likely ever be? I believe we can.

Also an easy nod to Irving in the handle department. Wall has always been a bit sloppy with the ball and often gets out-of-control on his dribble drives. He is a killer when he gets going in a straight line to the basket, but re-route him into changing direction and you can force him into turnovers. Wall averaged 3.6 turnovers per game last season, one of the highest marks amongst all point guards. Irving settled in with a much improved 2.7 per game.

In fact, their assist-to-turnover ratio was incredibly close (Wall 2.44, Irving 2.28).

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/assists/sort/assistTurnoverRatio

And, again, playmaking will be something that we'll be able to judge better this season since this is the first time Irving will (presumably) be on a team with proper offensive floor spacing. Up to this point, Wall has been the better playmaker of the two, but Kyrie hasn't exactly had a ton to work with.

Defensively, no question Wall has been the better player. He's also a slightly better rebounder.

But, taking everything else into account and the fact that Irving is over a year younger and a year less experienced... yes, I think eventually Irving will be considered the better player. We'll see how it plays out. I will freely admit it if I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.
So according to your post, Irving is the better shooter, has the better range and has better handles than Wall. While Wall is a better defender and rebounder with a slight advantage in the passing department. (Wall has one of the best court vision in the league so I disagree with you.) Im sorry but you did not convince me that Irving is FLAT OUT A BETTER PLAYER than Wall. I wont take account that Irving is younger than Wall, we are talking about right now, not potential. Im happy for Irving though, he has a chance to win multiple titles in such a young age.

Relinquish
08-12-2014, 09:19 PM

:facepalm

Irving is an inferior player. It's quite obvious. :confusedshrug:

That said, Kryzyzewski already coached Kyrie so they have that connection, and that probably is why they chose him.

Relinquish
08-12-2014, 09:21 PM

He was already better this past season.

PJR
08-12-2014, 09:26 PM
:oldlol: Claiming Irving is a flat out better player than Wall, when Irving is a defensive sieve is hilarious. Talk about homerism. Sheesh.

TheMilkyBarKid
08-12-2014, 10:58 PM
Oriental too.

Pointguard
08-12-2014, 11:44 PM

I didn't see the game. It was televised? So I can be wrong here. I love the way he plays and think he's one of the most entertaining players in the game. However:

Irvings play last year - selfish, self centered, losing basketball, and lacked focus on defense. He shouldn't have gotten the invite, being that their were plenty of PG's who played team oriented, selfless, winning ball. Somebody here told me he was assured a spot before the other point guards last week. No way in hell should that have been the case - this is why I thought it was political. I didn't check his sources but Irving was growing in the wrong direction. If the team wanted a defensive minded team that played aggressively and played fast in transition Wall's resume fits the job better.

Wall is a more evolved player as he already went thru the Irving stage and had his team overachieve. He's a superior orchestrator, better defensively, faster, selfless and more team oriented at this stage. I like Irving more but if you take a player where he is at, I think Wall is better for a team that has creators and with those priorities listed in the OP.

miles berg
08-13-2014, 12:27 AM
Can't understand why they keep Kyrie over Wall. Guess it is the Duke or LeBron bias because Wall is far superior.

LakersDaBEst
08-13-2014, 01:05 AM
fked it up during the scrimmage. Kyrie clearly outplayed him

MVBallin2K
08-13-2014, 01:32 AM
I like this, cause it breeds that mentality for Wall to have something to prove.

He had this in his rookie year being the number one pick but losing ROY to Blake. You could tell during the Rookie and Sophomore game that he was out to win the MVP For that. He's gotten a chance to grow that mentality of proving people wrong whenever they doubt him and not every rookie has that.

bdreason
08-13-2014, 03:22 AM
PG is the most stacked position in the NBA. Making the US Team or even the All-Star game as a PG is crazy tough.

wally_world
08-13-2014, 03:34 AM
:applause:

I have a feeling he'll have another breakout season.

Too many PGs tho, and I can see why they rather have elite shooters on the team for international competition.

tontoz
08-13-2014, 07:20 AM
Wall was doubtful even to participate in the first place due to some treatments on his knee. It shouldn't be surprising that he struggled. I am glad he didnt make it.