PDA

View Full Version : Best starting 5 EVER.

Richesly
08-14-2014, 07:32 PM
Gary Payton
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Dirk Nowitzki
Bill Walton

Seriously, how could you beat this team?

Never seen this line-up before mentioned, so I decided to do it myself. Peak Walton was easily the best center the NBA had ever seen, adding Dirk's offensive game along with him would be wow.

No lack of offense or defense.

Cone
08-14-2014, 07:34 PM
:applause:

Fowl
08-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Magic Johnson
Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Tim Duncan
Shaquille Oneal

Richesly
08-14-2014, 07:39 PM
Magic Johnson
Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Tim Duncan
Shaquille Oneal

Nope. Next.

Angel Face
08-14-2014, 07:43 PM
Replace Dirk with KG and Walton with Hakeem. Unbeatable. Monster defense and offense. Everyone can create their shot and is a good passing team.

Fowl
08-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Nope. Next.
Lol "Nope", don't even explain why. My team would wipe the floor with yours.

Richesly
08-14-2014, 07:45 PM
Replace Dirk with KG and Walton with Hakeem. Unbeatable. Monter defense and offense. Everyone can create their shot and is a good passing team.

I considered it before posting the line-up, but Dirk can create his own shit. He is the best Strech Bigman in history of the NBA, and having him hang out of the paint spreads the floor. KG is a great midrange shooter and has an amazing post, but the spreading will be limited with Hakeem and him on the floor.

StephHamann
08-14-2014, 07:51 PM
Steve Nash
Jerry West
Lebron
Tim Duncan
Wilt Chamberlain

Run n Gun Suns Style, would be great to watch

Cone
08-14-2014, 07:52 PM
Replace Dirk with KG and Walton with Hakeem. Unbeatable. Monster defense and offense. Everyone can create their shot and is a good passing team.

nope.

dirk > kg

Cocaine80s
08-14-2014, 07:53 PM
Cp3
Jordan
Lebron
Duncan
Shaq

K Xerxes
08-14-2014, 07:54 PM
It's a good team and quite similar to mine, but why Dirk and not Bird?

Suguru101
08-14-2014, 07:55 PM
That is my line up. Except LeBron is the PG and Durant is the SF.

Props for recognizing Walton. :applause:

SouBeachTalents
08-14-2014, 07:56 PM
PG- Magic
SG- Jordan
SF- Bird
PF- Duncan
C- Kareem

MrC1991
08-14-2014, 08:01 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGeI6ypgtP0 Found this on youtube...Bill Waltons 1977 NBA Finals Highlights.

VelvetHoop
08-14-2014, 09:54 PM
Id go with

PG-G.Payton
SG-M.Jordan
SF-L.Bird
PF-D.Rodman
C-S.O'neal

I just like the make up of the line up...Defense.Throwing Rodman in there to spice it up a bit

Milbuck
08-14-2014, 10:15 PM
Lebron > Payton
Jordan = Jordan
Durant > Pippen
Dirk = Dirk
Shaq > Walton

Beastmode88
08-14-2014, 10:16 PM
Lebron > Payton
Jordan = Jordan
Durant > Pippen
Dirk = Dirk
Shaq > Walton

Durant > Pippen? When did Alfred learn to play defense? Leave that to Batman. :bowdown:

ralph_i_el
08-14-2014, 10:18 PM
Lebron
Durant
Bird
Dirk
David Robinson

Too much size, too much shooting. Drob just has to finish, run the floor, and play D.

robert_shaww
08-14-2014, 10:20 PM
Lebron > Payton
Jordan = Jordan
Durant > Pippen
Dirk = Dirk
Shaq > Walton

:facepalm

ralph_i_el
08-14-2014, 10:23 PM
:facepalm

Yeah I'll take the MVP who's knockdown from 3

robert_shaww
08-14-2014, 10:25 PM
Payton
Jordan
Pippen
Malone
Russell

Game Over

ralph_i_el
08-14-2014, 10:26 PM
Payton
Jordan
Pippen
Malone
Russell

Game Over

shooting

robert_shaww
08-14-2014, 10:28 PM
shooting

Bird x Malone ?

Rojogaqu11
08-14-2014, 10:36 PM
MJ at PG
Kobe at SG
Lebron at SF
TD at PF
Shaq at C

AintNoSunshine
08-14-2014, 10:43 PM
Magic Johnson
Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Tim Duncan
Shaquille Oneal

:roll: One doesn't belong.

pg - Bron
sg - Jordan
sf - Bird
pf - Duncan
c - Olajuwon

Best balance between O&D, Bball IQ off the chart.

Richesly
09-06-2014, 11:37 AM
I got negged by 2 Kobe homers!

:roll: :roll: :roll:

secund2nun
09-06-2014, 11:44 AM
Many lineups can beat that. For one you can just replace Payton with lebron and bam automatically a superior lineup.

LAZERUSS
09-06-2014, 11:47 AM
Gary Payton
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Dirk Nowitzki
Bill Walton

Seriously, how could you beat this team?

Never seen this line-up before mentioned, so I decided to do it myself. Peak Walton was easily the best center the NBA had ever seen, adding Dirk's offensive game along with him would be wow.

No lack of offense or defense.

Richesly
09-06-2014, 11:52 AM

I'm actually interested on why you think Wilt was better than 1977 Bill Walton.

dr.hee
09-06-2014, 11:55 AM

One on one, clearly. But if I have a good coach with a concept in mind, give me healthy Walton all day.

Inactive
09-06-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm actually interested on why you think Wilt was better than 1977 Bill Walton.What makes 77 Walton better than 67 Wilt?

LAZERUSS
09-06-2014, 11:59 AM

How about 68-13 vs. 44-21?

How about 24.1 ppg vs. 18.6 ppg?
How about 24.2 rpp vs. 14.4 rpg?
How about 7.8 apg vs. 3.8 apg?
How about a .683 FG% vs. a .528 FG%?
How about a 7.0 DWS vs. a 4.8?
How about a Winshare margin of 21.9 to 10.2?

How about Chamberlain trashing ever center he faced in his '67 post-season (including HOFers Russell and Thurmond), while Walton was brutalized by Kareem in '77?

Need evidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHMKlx7Was&playnext=1&videos=YqP06ya0k4w

A peak Walton, what little there was of him, PALED in comparison to a PEAK Chamberlain.

Demitri98
09-06-2014, 12:00 PM
John Stockton
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Dirk Nowitzki
Bill Walton

that's the team I wanted to put together in the All-time draft but it's not looking good.

LAZERUSS
09-06-2014, 12:00 PM
One on one, clearly. But if I have a good coach with a concept in mind, give me healthy Walton all day.

Even though a peak Wilt was also a better winner and team player?

Only a "basher" would utter such nonsense.

Demitri98
09-06-2014, 12:02 PM

Wilt is the better individual, no doubt. But IMO Walton fits better if you're looking to build a team with a specific system.

Inactive
09-06-2014, 12:05 PM
Wilt is the better individual, no doubt. But IMO Walton fits better if you're looking to build a team with a specific system.Based on what? Wilt spent a good chunk of his career as a distributor out of the post, in a system offense.

Marchesk
09-06-2014, 12:05 PM

Not over 67 Wilt. Better scorer, rebounder, shot blocker and just as good a passer.

Marchesk
09-06-2014, 12:07 PM
Irving
Waiters
James
Love
Varejo

dr.hee
09-06-2014, 12:09 PM

Exactly these comments show your lack of basketball understanding. Your complete ignorance of the existence of team concepts that work better with Walton instead of Wilt is just sad considering the amount of time you're investing in writing essays about your dream boyfriend.

In some sense, it's the same inability to tolerate differing viewpoints you rarely see with religious fanatics. If you aren't on their side, you're against them. That's exactly your mindset, jlauber. It isn't enough I say Wilt is better individually. No, the mere existence of the idea that somebody on this planet has a team scenario (maybe one out of a million concepts, just a single one at all) in mind where he'd prefer another player to Wilt Chamberlain is something you can't deal with and are forced to label him with negative intentions, calling him a "basher".

It's just sad. What the hell is wrong with you? If I want to build around a low post monster, give me Wilt. If I want a fast-paced, team oriented flow offense with a lot of high post playmaking, then Walton all day. As an example, to replace Shaq on the Kobe threepeat Lakers? Give me Wilt. To replace Tyson Chandler on the 2011 Mavs? Give me Walton.

But I bet even this is something you can't possibly deal with. Let me guess...your heart rate is already rising, you get that itchy feeling in your fingers and can't help it. Another essay incoming...

LAZERUSS
09-06-2014, 12:09 PM
Not over 67 Wilt. Better scorer, rebounder, shot blocker and just as good a passer.

Aside from FT shooting, Chamberlain was simply MUCH better at every aspect of the game, than Walton. And even a '77 Walton only shot .697 from the line (and in fact, a '67 Wilt MADE 150 MORE FTs than a '77 Walton did.)

Marchesk
09-06-2014, 12:11 PM
I missed the "with a concept in mind" part. Fair enough. Walton might be the better pick given what you explained.

LAZERUSS
Exactly these comments show your lack of basketball understanding. Your complete ignorance of the existence of team concepts that work better with Walton instead of Wilt is just sad considering the amount of time you're investing in writing essays about your dream boyfriend.

In some sense, it's the same inability to tolerate differing viewpoints you rarely see with religious fanatics. If you aren't on their side, you're against them. That's exactly your mindset, jlauber. It isn't enough I say Wilt is better individually. No, the mere existence of the idea that somebody on this planet has a team scenario in mind where he'd prefer another player to Wilt Chamberlain is something you can't deal with and are forced to label him with negative intentions, calling him a "basher".

It's just sad. What the hell is wrong with you? If I want to build around a low post monster, give me Wilt. If I want a fast-paced, team oriented flow offense with a lot of high post playmaking, then Walton all day.

But I bet even this is something you can't possibly deal with. Let me guess...your heart rate is already rising, you get that itchy feeling in your fingers and can't help it. Another essay incoming...

No need...

How about 68-13 vs. 44-21?

How about 24.1 ppg vs. 18.6 ppg?
How about 24.2 rpp vs. 14.4 rpg?
How about 7.8 apg vs. 3.8 apg?
How about a .683 FG% vs. a .528 FG%?
How about a 7.0 DWS vs. a 4.8?
How about a Winshare margin of 21.9 to 10.2?

How about Chamberlain trashing ever center he faced in his '67 post-season (including HOFers Russell and Thurmond), while Walton was brutalized by Kareem in '77?

Need evidence?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coHM...os=YqP06ya0k4w

A peak Walton, what little there was of him, PALED in comparison to a PEAK Chamberlain.

And as far as "fast-paced" offense goes. Chamberlain's '67 Sixers ran away with the scoring title, and his '72 Lakers BLEW the league away. ALL led by WILT's outlet passes.

Oh, and a "healthy" Walton would give you 35 mpg, while Chamberlain would give you 48+.

T_L_P
Magic
Moncrief
Jordan
Dirk
Duncan

One of the GOAT passers, one of the GOAT perimeter defenders, the GOAT scorer/player, PF who can shoot the three, low-post presence/defensive anchor.

Marchesk
09-06-2014, 12:12 PM
Magic
Moncrief
Jordan
Dirk
Duncan

One of the GOAT passers, one of the GOAT perimeter defenders, the GOAT scorer/player, PF who can shoot the three, low-post presence/defensive anchor.

Do you have enough three point shooting?

T_L_P
09-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Do you have enough three point shooting?

Hmmm. I guess it'd be either Magic or Moncrief who'd get the boot.

**** it. Put Bowen in there for Moncrief. :oldlol:

Demitri98
09-06-2014, 12:23 PM
Based on what? Wilt spent a good chunk of his career as a distributor out of the post, in a system offense.

specific system..

Inactive
09-06-2014, 12:29 PM
Based on what? Wilt spent a good chunk of his career as a distributor out of the post, in a system offense.

specific systemWhat specific system are you referring to? What can you do with Walton that you can't do with Wilt?

SHAQisGOAT
09-06-2014, 12:56 PM
Not using "your" players...

Magic
Moncrief
Bird
KG
Kareem (or Shaq)

Think I got this...

Payton wouldn't be able to abuse Magic in the post, like he did against smaller PG's, and Johnson got the size advantage on his post-ups.
Prime Moncrief would play the best defense you'd want on Jordan, and keep him on his toes on the other end too.
Nobody can stop peak Bird's all-around impact (top5 peak), not even Pippen... At the end of the game Larry clearly exceeds Scottie's overall impact.
Prime KG vs prime Dirk would be a great matchup.
I love Bill Walton, just a terrific center (shame for injuries) but Kareem, at his best, was just better.

Team defense would be crazy with KG/Kareem/Bird and even Sidney, got (arguably) the GOAT SG defender, paint protection would be ridiculous with the PF/C duo.
Overall passing is simply ridiculous, chemistry could definitely be there.
Bird provides floor spacing, Magic and Moncrief could hit plenty of open mid-range shots, KG just the same, Kareem didn't need to always score in the paint.

ralph_i_el
09-06-2014, 06:24 PM
Hakeem
Shaq
KG
Dirk
Wilt

fight me :mad:

Marchesk
09-06-2014, 06:31 PM
Hakeem
Shaq
KG
Dirk
Wilt

fight me :mad:

Rondo
Jackson
Artest
Rodman
Wallace

pauk
09-06-2014, 06:37 PM
How bout:

Lebron James
Michael Jordan
Scottie Pippen
Tim Duncan
Hakeem Olajuwon

I cant think of 5 players at these positions that can cause the same or more offensive & defensive havoc. Except for arguably PF/C (KG, Wilt, D-Rob, Kareem?)

no pun intended
09-06-2014, 06:55 PM
Magic
Jordan
Bird
James
Shaq

That_Admiral
09-06-2014, 07:53 PM
Nash
Jordan
Bird
Duncan
Shaq

lakers_forever
09-06-2014, 08:15 PM
I choose my team not based on the all time ranking of the players, but on how they work better together as a real team. It would be exactly the all 90's team:

PG: Stockton
SG: Jordan
SF: Pippen
PF: Malone
C: Olajuwon

PG: Magic is the greatest PG ever. But I think Stockton is a better fit next to those guys. He does not need the ball in his hands all the time. He can hit the open 3 with great % and he can defend fast PG's.

SG: Jordan. The GOAT. Main scorer of my team.

SF: Pippen. Guys like Bird and Lebron are/were better, but Pippen has all the offensive tools and also was the the best defending SF ever (he could guard all the positions - read it in Magic's voice). Plus he would not mind being a sidekick and would stick to his role.

PF: Malone. After Jordan, he and The dream would be co-go to guys on offense. Stockton can run some pick'n rolls with him, plus he can hit the open mid range shot in a high % (something valuable with Jordan and Hakeem on the team) and run the floor like only him and Barkley could (I chose him ahead of Barkley because of his defense and because the later had a bigger ego). Duncan is higher in all time rankings, but he can't run the floor as well as Malone and the later was a pure PF while Duncan is a PF/C combo.

C: Olajuwon. Now, I rate Russell, Kareem, Wilt and Shaq over Olajuwon. But I think Kareem, Wilt and Shaq in their primes would not like not to be the focal point of offense. Russell would, but he did not have the offensive game of Olajuwon. I think Olajuwon would accept (he had a big ego, but I think he would defer to MJ). Also he offers probably the best offense/defense combo other than Wilt. Plus, like Malone, the Dream had a great mid range game, good for opening up the floor for Pippen and Jordan's drives.

lakers_forever
09-06-2014, 08:22 PM
Maybe I'm nostalgic like Dr. J and just chose my childhood basketball heroes. Dr. J said* he chose his 5 when he was a teenager and never changed it.

His 5:

Oscar Robertson
Jerry West
Elgin Baylor
Bill Russell
Wilt Chamberlain.

:bowdown:

*http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJn5MEZ_zUg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UZjopaoa_Lg

bizil
09-06-2014, 08:47 PM
If I'm picking by position:

Magic
MJ
Bird
KG
Hakeem

I like having three of the greatest defenders of all time around to help Magic and Bird (who were both great team defenders). And even though I would take Lebron over Bird slightly peak wise, I prefer Bird because of the way he can stretch the floor.

If I have the liberty to pick out of position:

Magic
MJ
Lebron
Bird
Kareem

GOAT wise

Magic
MJ
Bron-Bird (I think they are tied at this point flat out)
Duncan
Kareem

AussieBaller99
09-06-2014, 09:52 PM
Stockton
Jordan
Durant
Duncan
Kareem

elementally morale
09-06-2014, 10:06 PM
Peak?

Isiah Thomas
Kobe Bryant
Larry Bird
Hakeem Olajuwon
Shaquille O'Neal

Bench:

Magic
Dr. J
Sabonis
Nash
Barkley
Nash
Robinson

hahaitme
09-06-2014, 10:51 PM
LeBron
Jordan
Bird
Pippen
Shaq

Good balance of O and D imo

I'd play BR but that wouldn't be fair to include the GOAT :pimp:

scm5
09-06-2014, 11:43 PM
I would go with:

Lebron
Jordan
Pippen
KG
Hakeem

That kind of defense with that much versatility would be impossible to beat.

Boarder Patrol
09-07-2014, 12:00 AM
Nash
Jordan
Pippen
Dirk
Garnett