PDA

View Full Version : Lebron will turn 30 in December, Peak/Prime Lebron James likely already happened

CavaliersFTW
08-15-2014, 02:07 PM
It's now likely that the highlights of his career from here on out are of a player entering his twilight. I'm sure for the next few seasons he'll still have top tier consistency and a few great glimpses of his youth with some great performances, but they will be fewer and farther between from here on out. His best years are probably now behind him, on average he will be winning less individual awards and putting up gradually less impressive stats for the remainder of his career, and this will be on a downward curve that will get sharper as the seasons go on.

Seems like this was Kobe and Lebron's league just yesterday. Now even Lebron has become the 30+ aging vet, "cutting weight" and what not going through all the veteran motions to fight father time. Time sure flies doesn't it?

Soundwave
08-15-2014, 02:11 PM
Pretty much.

Players don't magically get better after 30, especially wing players.

Meticode
08-15-2014, 02:11 PM
I still think he has at least one 1 MVP left in him. He's still in his prime though, he's just reinvented himself slightly. He still depends tremendously on his size, strength and athleticism, but he's improved his jump-shooting and his post play greatly compared to his first stint in Cleveland.

Lebronxrings
08-15-2014, 02:14 PM
nah i don't think so. Right now, hes working hard like crazy, trying to lose weight and gain that early athleticism he had before. Now we see him mature as a player, improving his jumpshot and overall iq.

Maybe he can get some bs free throw calls like durant :eek:

Dragic4Life
08-15-2014, 02:19 PM
nah i don't think so. Right now, hes working hard like crazy, trying to lose weight and gain that early athleticism he had before. Now we see him mature as a player, improving his jumpshot and overall iq.

Maybe he can get some bs free throw calls like durant :eek:
I agree.

CavaliersFTW
08-15-2014, 02:20 PM
I still think he has at least one 1 MVP left in him. He's still in his prime though, he's just reinvented himself slightly. He still depends tremendously on his size, strength and athleticism, but he's improved his jump-shooting and his post play greatly compared to his first stint in Cleveland.
Sure lots of 30+ players can be MVP caliber and still play dominant, just take a look at dirk in 2011... IMO 30-34 are generally still solid years barring injury of superstar players. But the electrifying athleticism and pep in the players step usually goes away (if that was one of their traits), and the general buzz about their "celing" and "potential" from the fans and media goes away. They can remain steady, but the spotlight is probably going to shift to a lot of the younger guys who's "ceiling" and "potential" is still a mystery as they continue to light up the league with great scoring nights and clutch shots.

The mystery about how good Lebron could get is now becoming a thing of the past, I'm pretty sure we've now all seen how good he could get. Now the rest of his career will be about what he can still accomplish, and how long he can hold out against father time.

SpecialQue
08-15-2014, 02:22 PM
He'll adjust and age gracefully. I'm more concerned about how a player like Rose is going to do when he hits that age.

KobesFinger
08-15-2014, 02:25 PM
I agree.

Of course you agree with yourself

VIntageNOvel
08-15-2014, 02:27 PM
bran is declining as we speak,
no im not talking about his hairline

CavaliersFTW
08-15-2014, 02:27 PM
:oldlol: wow that alt is obvious

Mass Debator
08-15-2014, 02:31 PM
Yeah, I think peak Lebron already happened in the 12-13 season. 27/8/7 on 57/41/75 with elite defense. If he had Clevelandesque team that year, I think he could've gotten a statline like 32/8/8 on 54/40/75 like Jordan in 89.

Beastmode88
08-15-2014, 02:31 PM

Future repped

Cocaine80s
08-15-2014, 02:34 PM
Op are you gonna stop rooting for the cavs for the next 5+ years until lebron retires?

Optimus Prime
08-15-2014, 02:35 PM
He will still be one of the top players in the league for years to come, but after 30, decline is inevitable. Especially since he's been in the NBA since he was 18. If he can reinvent his game like Kobe did, LeBron should have a gradual decline and still be extremely effective well into his 30s. If he is more like Wade, well... :lol

CavaliersFTW
08-15-2014, 02:39 PM
Op are you gonna stop rooting for the cavs for the next 5+ years until lebron retires?
:biggums:

Why the fuc.k would I stop rooting for the Cavs?

Dragic4Life
08-15-2014, 02:41 PM

Because you have an obvious agenda against Lebron.

Stay classy Cavs fan. Lebron should have gone to my Suns smh.:facepalm

GrapeApe
08-15-2014, 02:47 PM
He's logged a ton of career minutes for a player his age and the toll on his body is beginning to show. It's no coincidence he chose THIS off-season to shed some weight. His peak has obviously passed but he's still got 2-3 late prime years left.

CavaliersFTW
08-15-2014, 02:50 PM

forget to switch accounts?

Cocaine80s
08-15-2014, 02:54 PM

because ur a ****ing notorious lebron hater

Lebronxrings
08-15-2014, 02:55 PM

cuz ur a closet kobe stan who hates lebron

Milbuck
08-15-2014, 02:55 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll:

riseagainst
08-15-2014, 02:56 PM
so many alts.

:roll:

EnoughSaid
08-15-2014, 02:57 PM
If LeBron is really committed to becoming a better rounded player and defender, he'll adapt better than ever. His jumpshot could become automatic and less streaky, and his post game will only get better.

At 34/35 he could still be putting up 25/7/7.

CavaliersFTW
because ur a ****ing notorious lebron hater
:no: Cavaliers fan

Foreign concept to be loyal to a team? I see how you could be confused by this.

Warfan
I thought he was at his offensive peak last year (in terms of skill set specifically) but his defense took a significant hit. Maybe he'll pick it up again next season but I'm not so sure he will. But yeah it is kind of strange that he's had 9 straight elite seasons and he ain't even 30 yet.

Cocaine80s
08-15-2014, 02:59 PM
:no: Cavaliers fan

Foreign concept to be loyal to a team? I see how you could be confused by this.
seems like youre the last cavs fan here to still be upset.

not surprised because ur an old geezer who's still obsessed with a player who died 15 years ago

KobesFinger
08-15-2014, 03:00 PM
So cocaine80s = dragic4lyfe = lebronxrings = michaelcorleone = tonymontana?

Somebody needs a hobby

Lebronxrings
08-15-2014, 03:01 PM

not surprised because ur an old geezer who's still obsessed with a player who died 15 years ago
:eek: :eek: :eek:

:bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Cocaine80s
08-15-2014, 03:02 PM
So cocaine80s = dragic4lyfe = lebronxrings = michaelcorleone = tonymontana?

Somebody needs a hobby
dont group me with those guys

even i think lerbonxrings and dragic4life are ****ing delusional

CavaliersFTW
08-15-2014, 03:09 PM

Cavaliers just had one of the greatest off-seasons in league history, I'm not sure you understand what the word upset means? :lol

Cocaine80s
08-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Cavaliers just had one of the greatest off-seasons in league history, I'm not sure you understand what the word upset means? :lol
i know lol as a cavs fan im extremely excited for this season :cheers:

DonDadda59
08-15-2014, 03:12 PM
You underestimate the power of HGH.

LoneyROY7

:oldlol:

Beastmode88
dont group me with those guys

even i think lerbonxrings and dragic4life are ****ing delusional

:rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

CavaliersFTW
08-15-2014, 03:13 PM
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

oh the horror
08-15-2014, 03:14 PM
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/Michael-Scott-Closes-The-Door-Awkwardly-On-The-Office.gif

That actually made me chuckle.

riseagainst
08-15-2014, 03:16 PM

:roll:

Cocaine80s
08-15-2014, 03:16 PM
see you in the game threads my ***** :rockon:

thefatmiral
08-15-2014, 03:30 PM
im kinda surprised he went the duncan route, lose weight to keep quickness , endurance. I thought he was headed towards gaining muscle mass and turning into karl malone.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-15-2014, 03:32 PM
dat ether :lol

NBAplayoffs2001
08-15-2014, 03:33 PM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Dis killed me.

lilteapot
08-15-2014, 03:35 PM
lmao. HE'S GOING TO BE 30 NOT 40. He still has a good 3 years left of his prime.

Nikola_
08-15-2014, 03:41 PM
He'll adjust and age gracefully. I'm more concerned about how a player like Rose is going to do when he hits that age.

coming off the bench for Olympiakos

Soundwave
08-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Past his prime now. 2/5. Kind of a shame really.

ImKobe
08-17-2014, 07:02 PM
He's gonna be playing in Europe by age 35.

pauk
08-17-2014, 08:13 PM
If you look at all the greats, like the guys hovering in/around top 10, at 30 they were all at their absolute best, 99.9% of them had their best seasons right there... and they didnt start to regress in their domination & success afterwards until they turned 35 or got hit by injuries or so... for example:

Kobe at 30 won his 1st championship as theman/fmvp (did the same next year and would have still been as great afterwards i believe rings or no rings if injuries didnt get to him)
Jordan at 30 won his 3rd championship/3rd FMVP/mvp (if he didnt retire he would won his 4th/5th, totally 7th & 8th championship/fmvp and probably 7th/8th mvp aswell)
Kareem at 30 just chilling & dominating winning his 5th MVP
Russell at 30 won his 7th championship & 4th MVP
Wilt at 30 won his 1st championship & 3rd MVP still putting up monster stats.
Bird at 30 won his 3rd championship & 2nd fmvp & 3rd MVP, putting up his best stats the following year of his career at the age of 31.
Hakeem at 30 or screw that lets go 31 & 32 actually, won his 1st & 2nd Championship/FMVP, had his most productive seasons statistically aswell and oh also won DPOY... oh MVP also... right...
and so on....

Looking at how it fared of them, 30 is actually the best year, 30 is just relatively half way there in the peak/prime department, at the very top....

He i believe is even more physically gifted/prepared than any of those top 10 guys to play well in to his 30s, he is also obviously a gymrat who works viciously hard on his skills aswell, i think he will adapt.... So what makes you think Lebron will regress? Especially now as he is looking & striving to be in the best shape of his career, more motivated than ever. I think he might get his 5th MVP this season and a championship will be when his team/cast is ready.....

Damn CavsFTW, you should be more optimistic as a Cavs fan. :P

Soundwave
08-17-2014, 08:25 PM
If you look at all the greats, like the guys hovering in/around top 10, at 30 they were all at their absolute best, 99.9% of them had their best seasons right there... and they didnt start to regress in their domination & success afterwards until they turned 35 or got hit by injuries or so... for example:

Kobe at 30 won his 1st championship as theman/fmvp (did the same next year and would have still been as great afterwards i believe rings or no rings if injuries didnt get to him)
Jordan at 30 won his 3rd championship/3rd FMVP/mvp (if he didnt retire he would won his 4th/5th, totally 7th & 8th championship/fmvp and probably 7th/8th mvp aswell)
Kareem at 30 just chilling & dominating winning his 5th MVP
Russell at 30 won his 7th championship & 4th MVP
Wilt at 30 won his 1st championship & 3rd MVP still putting up monster stats.
Bird at 30 won his 3rd championship & 2nd fmvp & 3rd MVP, putting up his best stats the following year of his career at the age of 31.
Hakeem at 30 or screw that lets go 31 & 32 actually, won his 1st & 2nd Championship/FMVP, had his most productive seasons statistically aswell and oh also won DPOY... oh MVP also... right...
and so on....

Looking at how it fared of them, 30 is actually the best year, 30 is just relatively half way there in the peak/prime department, at the very top....

He i believe is even more physically gifted/prepared than any of those top 10 guys to play well in to his 30s, he is also obviously a gymrat who works viciously hard on his skills aswell, i think he will adapt.... So what makes you think Lebron will regress? Especially now as he is looking & striving to be in the best shape of his career, more motivated than ever. I think he might get his 5th MVP this season and a championship will be when his team/cast is ready.....

He better win a title in the next year or two. I don't care who you're talking about, even Jordan had lost a noticable step by age 32.

The age of 30 is the beginning of the decline, it becomes more obvious by 32, by 33/34 most players, even elite ones are done with the big hardware (unless they have someone else to carry them, ala Kareem did with Magic).

pauk
08-17-2014, 08:28 PM
He better win a title in the next year or two. I don't care who you're talking about, even Jordan had lost a noticable step by age 32.

Yea but Lebron will not retire next season not touching a basketball for 2 years

Soundwave
08-17-2014, 08:30 PM
Yea but Lebron will not retire next season not touching a basketball for 2 years

That doesn't really help your case, retiring from basketball probably kept MJ's legs a little fresher than they would have been otherwise as baseball is easy on the knees.

LeBron has a ton of mileage on his legs. The next 2 years are critical to his career, if he can't get it done in that time period, he'll likely have exited his prime with only 2 titles to show for it (thank goodness for Ray Allen).

Wing players have it harder than bigs too IMO, there's more running/chasing as a wing player, fewer easy baskets.

pauk
08-17-2014, 08:50 PM
That doesn't really help your case, retiring from basketball probably kept MJ's legs a little fresher than they would have been otherwise as baseball is easy on the knees.

LeBron has a ton of mileage on his legs. The next 2 years are critical to his career, if he can't get it done in that time period, he'll likely have exited his prime with only 2 titles to show for it (thank goodness for Ray Allen).

Come on man, 30 is nothing... i believe that working out/playing basketball helps & increases/maintains your mileage/peak/prime at especially that age (30 or early 30s), thats what keeps your legs fresh.... the only/real wear & tear is injuries and the mental aspect/motivation... if you have a strict & consistent workout/diet/routine etc. and been lucky enough to stay away from injuries then 30-31-32 is just another double digit number to your body, nothing else.... its not old whatsoever, you can be doing anything you ever could, its only up to you to work for it.... doing that then you wont notice things starting to gradually inevitable work against you until you are in your mid to late 30s....

Soundwave
08-17-2014, 08:52 PM
Come on man, 30 is nothing... i believe that working out/playing basketball helps & increases/maintains your mileage/peak/prime at especially that age (30 or early 30s), thats what keeps your legs fresh.... the only/real wear & tear is injuries and the mental aspect/motivation... if you have a strict & consistent workout/diet/routine etc. and been lucky enough to stay away from injuries then 30-31-32 is just another double digit number to your body, nothing else.... its not old whatsoever, you can be doing anything you ever could, its only up to you to work for it.... doing that then you wont notice things starting to gradually inevitable work against you until you are in your mid to late 30s....

No player gets *better* after 30 really, the great players can hold off decline/maintain from 30/31, but by 32 you can notice decline on virtually any player, I don't care how much time they spend in the gym. Father time is undefeated.

JtotheIzzo
08-17-2014, 08:55 PM
Its a good thing Bran is losing the weight because the big bodies breakdown quick.

But with the weight loss comes some unexpected negatives. Bran won't be able to muscle to the rim as easily, he won't be able to bully smaller players as easily and now at his advanced age (in superstar terms) he won't be able to use his lighter body to fly by people because he can no longer fly (in a run fast sense).

He is preparing for NBA middle age, he is being smart about it, but now he will have to use his 'UNPARALLELED BBALL IQ' :lol to make shit happen.

pauk
08-17-2014, 09:12 PM
No player gets *better* after 30 really, the great players can hold off decline/maintain from 30/31, but by 32 you can notice decline on virtually any player, I don't care how much time they spend in the gym. Father time is undefeated.

True true, but screw Lebron, im trying to defend myself aswell, im getting there soon afterall.... :cry:

Soundwave
08-17-2014, 09:24 PM
True true, but screw Lebron, im trying to defend myself aswell, im getting there soon afterall.... :cry:

If you're just a weekend warrior it really doesn't matter.

You can probably play pickup/rec league well into your 30s without a huge drop in ability.

The reason there is decline on NBA players is because they are playing at a much higher level than you (obviously) 82 times a season + playoffs.

It's the 82 games+ that kills your knees. Not the age exactly, but the mileage + age in unison.

Hoopz2332
08-17-2014, 09:47 PM
Its a good thing Bran is losing the weight because the big bodies breakdown quick.

But with the weight loss comes some unexpected negatives. Bran won't be able to muscle to the rim as easily, he won't be able to bully smaller players as easily and now at his advanced age (in superstar terms) he won't be able to use his lighter body to fly by people because he can no longer fly (in a run fast sense).

He is preparing for NBA middle age, he is being smart about it, but now he will have to use his 'UNPARALLELED BBALL IQ' :lol to make shit happen.

dog, lebron isn't going to be that much smaller and lighter than he was in in 2009. You realize that lebron even at his skinniest was trucking everyone onthe court?

http://i.imgur.com/fDJZHTF.jpg

http://media.cleveland.com/livingston_impact/photo/10529847-large.jpg

LOL @ cats thinking lebron is all of a sudden gonna look like a twig and not be able to bull doze all contact:oldlol:

he's basically going to look like 2009 lebron

http://i.imgur.com/uSooZND.jpg

when he was going stuff like

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v177/js6684/LBJ-Dunk-vs-Bucks.gif

3ball
08-17-2014, 11:01 PM
Lebron is a great one-foot leaper but is only an average two-foot leaper.. Two-foot leaping is needed in traffic when there is no room for a run-up and one-legger... There are less than 5 highlights on the webs of Lebron dunking on guys off of two feet.

Here's Lebron off a drop-step (two-foot takeoff), where he gets stuffed on a game winning attempt and the Heat lost... He didn't have good explosion.

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Lebron_Stuffed_after_Jumping_o_3ab12cd053656a6016f 9ea4e26ad4fa5.gif

Whereas, in the same spot, Jordan drop-steps with a lot more lift and explosion

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_over_Orlando_Woolridge_2992ff3b66bec8217afc 9045864e3b42.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_dunks_on_Shaq_7a78ff0a205611c2aaf2fcf2af13f 605.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_dunks_on_Defender_off_42e80f0371b2ccd1311ad dc612220fdc.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_Very_Quick_off_his_feet_85c9460760961c1fceb 26630cff21c12.gif

Here's another one where they are both doing the exact same move that ends up with them jumping off two feet, and Jordan has quite a bit more lift.

Here's Lebron going up weak off two feet after jumpstop.. can't dunk..

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Tiago_Beats_Lebron_to_Spot_Leb_2d51dd9926d3c1cf8c5 bc8a47ecc0f04.gif

Jordan in Exact Same Spot.. Exact Same Move and Jumpstop.. Goes up A Lot Stronger..

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_with_the_Baseline_HopSt_f3dde741dd9364e1d67 d426c26375b8c.gif

Same Spot.. Also Over Dominique and Moses Malone at the Same Time..

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/jordan_on_dominique_bee66ca7d5a73e1d21472382674cc2 af.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_over_Dominique_and_Mose_6ff5a043976a6ce3be6 3214630bd4bbc.gif

Rodmantheman
08-17-2014, 11:04 PM
It's 2014 not the 90s or 80s he has plenty of prime years left.

eliteballer
08-17-2014, 11:05 PM
Lebron is a great one-foot leaper but is only an average two-foot leaper.. Two-foot leaping is needed in traffic when there is no room for a run-up for a one-legger... There are less than 5 highlights on the webs of Lebron dunking on guys off of two feet.

Here's Lebron off a drop-step (two-foot takeoff), where he gets stuffed on a game winning attempt and the Heat lost... He didn't have good explosion.

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Lebron_Stuffed_after_Jumping_o_3ab12cd053656a6016f 9ea4e26ad4fa5.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_over_Orlando_Woolridge_2992ff3b66bec8217afc 9045864e3b42.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_dunks_on_Shaq_7a78ff0a205611c2aaf2fcf2af13f 605.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_dunks_on_Defender_off_42e80f0371b2ccd1311ad dc612220fdc.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_Very_Quick_off_his_feet_85c9460760961c1fceb 26630cff21c12.gif

Here's another one where they are both doing the exact same move that ends up with them jumping off two feet, and Jordan has quite a bit more lift.

Lebron going up weak off two feet after jumpstop.. can't dunk..

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Tiago_Beats_Lebron_to_Spot_Leb_2d51dd9926d3c1cf8c5 bc8a47ecc0f04.gif

Jordan in Exact Same Spot, Exact Same Move and Jumpstop, Goes up A Lot Stronger

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_with_the_Baseline_HopSt_f3dde741dd9364e1d67 d426c26375b8c.gif

Same Spot, Also Over Dominique and Moses Malone at the Same Time

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/jordan_on_dominique_bee66ca7d5a73e1d21472382674cc2 af.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_over_Dominique_and_Mose_6ff5a043976a6ce3be6 3214630bd4bbc.gif

LeBron outweighs Jordan by 60 lbs...

3ball
08-17-2014, 11:23 PM

The weight advantage helps give Lebron momentum for his run-up one-leggers, but hurts him getting elevation off the more vertical two-foot jump.

Otoh, Jordan's lower weight hurt him on the one-leggers, but he was still goat-level off of one leg nonetheless.

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_Cradle_From_Almost_FT_L_be1e0eee2d4613049ae 82e8600cc58c1.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/37b24a54a04c23124c905088f5d907fd.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/0ae7910f89aa1b9712688a0b431d283f.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/ea1c7e53f83495db3c80c5346f2da98c.gif

Of course, MJ was goat off two legs too..

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_over_Wingate_23a229363a29a94ccb62cde8fb8b7a 57.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_Jumps_over_defender_on_27c67461bdce36e89b9a 99788787921d.gif

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/8f11b152471e822929b812bbcb5803ed.gif

Soundwave
08-17-2014, 11:26 PM
It's 2014 not the 90s or 80s he has plenty of prime years left.

There's no legal supplement available today that will extend your career any more than there was one in the 80s/90s.

Even PEDs really are not going magically going to turn a 33-year-old set of knees into a 26-year-old pair.

If something like that existed tennis players would be all over it.

3ball
08-17-2014, 11:34 PM
Lebron is a great one-foot leaper but is only an average two-foot leaper.. Two-foot leaping is needed in traffic when there is no room for a run-up and one-legger... There are less than 5 highlights on the webs of Lebron dunking on guys off of two feet.

Here's Lebron going up weak off two feet after jumpstop.. can't dunk..

Jordan in Exact Same Spot.. Exact Same Move and Jumpstop.. Goes up A Lot Stronger..

Same Spot.. Also Over Dominique and Moses Malone at the Same Time..

It should be interesting to see if Lebron can do the GIF below when he's 35 - so we WILL get to see how he compares (http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=351356) at that age.

oh wait... he can't do this now.. :oldlol:

http://gifsforum.com/images_new/gif/other/grand/Jordan_dunks_on_Ostertag_47f5b1aaa51700634363c3b17 c56dcba.gif