08-17-2014, 02:46 PM
Allen Iverson

vs

Clyde Drexler

-----------------------

GO!

ShackEelOKneel
08-17-2014, 02:52 PM
Iverson is the better player as an individual, but I think Drexler would merge better with most teams.

f0und
08-17-2014, 02:53 PM
clyde the glyde

AI is one of the most overrated bball players in history. i get that he played with a lot of heart and that he was a big cultural icon. but as far as on the court basketball tangibles, he's very overrated.

stalkerforlife
08-17-2014, 03:00 PM
Drexler all day.

DCL
08-17-2014, 03:07 PM
drexler was multi-dimensional. he did a little of everything. and he didn't force shit but still gave you 27-28 a night.

stalkerforlife
08-17-2014, 03:09 PM
Iverson is another empty stats guy. He won 4 scoring titles and 3 steals titles, but did you ever truly consider him to be the best in the world? A legit title contender? Not really. He played with sub-par talent and jacked a ton of shots.

Good player, don't get me wrong, but a lot of his stats are overrated.

TheMarkMadsen
08-17-2014, 03:11 PM
Iverson.

Give AI the talent Drexler constantly played with and AI is sitting on a few rings.

Xiao Yao You
08-17-2014, 03:18 PM
Drexler no question

Myth
08-17-2014, 04:05 PM
Iverson.

Give AI the talent Drexler constantly played with and AI is sitting on a few rings.

Iverson played with some amazing players, but doesn't merge as well with them as seamlessly as Drexler could. Example, I think Drexler would have been more successful with Webber than Iverson was. In Webber's full season with the 76ers (he was still averaging 20/10), they also had a young but already talented Iggy and Korver, yet they were below .500 and missed the playoffs. I think it is very possible that if you gave AI Drexler's teams, he could have put up big points and not achieved much elsewise. People undervalue what Larry Brown's system did for AI in the early 2000s.

Taller than CP3
08-17-2014, 05:03 PM
Replace Clyde with AI on that Rockets team with Hakeem and they would have beaten the Bulls when MJ returned from baseball.

Marchesk
08-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Replace Clyde with AI on that Rockets team with Hakeem and they would have beaten the Bulls when MJ returned from baseball.

You mean they would have avoided getting swept by the Sonics in the 2nd round?

L.Kizzle
08-17-2014, 06:31 PM
Iverson.

Talent, he played with a couple of fringe All-Stars like Terry Porter and Kevin Duckworth and a past prime Buck Williams.

Mutombo would have be he best player Drexler had played with until he joined Houston in his last 3 seasons.

ImKobe
08-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Prime Clyde is so underrated man...

27/8/6 with 2.7 spg on 50% shooting, consecutive seasons with > .200 WS/48

AI ain't even close to being as good of an all-around player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2gfVpcMRWs

that body control, that vertical, those handles, to me he should have had a much better career than he did, but still, he led a team to the Finals and won a championship while putting up solid numbers, you can't even make an argument for AI here. Drexler could have easily put up 30+ ppg seasons, he only took more than 20 shots a game twice in his career, he was a Pippen-like player in terms of team play, maybe to a detriment.

Led his team to the Finals averaging 26/7/7/2/1 for the post-season with an average supporting cast and still took MJ to 6 games. People often overlook him when talking about the greatest wings to ever play the game, It's funny when Jordan haters say there were no great wing players in his era, like Drexler didn't exist.

Real14
08-17-2014, 06:42 PM
Drexler was good but Iverson was better hands down.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-17-2014, 06:43 PM
Glyde, but its closer than most think. Iverson from 01-05 was incredible. One of the greatest volume scorers in league history.

ImKobe
08-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Glyde, but its closer than most think. Iverson from 01-05 was incredible. One of the greatest volume scorers in league history.

01-05 regular season = 29.5 ppg on 41,1%FG, 29,8% 3PT, 3.9 TOV, .133 WS/48, 103 ORTG

gets even worse in the Playoffs, where he took 28 shots a game to average 32 ppg on 40% shooting from 01-05

there's no way a player should be taking that many shots a game, when he can't even shoot a decent % like Kobe does, AI chucked even worse than Kobe and it hurt his teams.

but but, look at his handles!! let's disregard how he took 28 shots a game when he couldn't even make 40% of them, or how he took like 2000 jump shots for a season and shot under 35% on them

Soundwave
08-17-2014, 06:47 PM
If starting a team I'd take Drexler. Far less headaches.

Clyde just had the bad luck of running into MJ in '92, otherwise he'd have 2 titles.

ImKobe
08-17-2014, 06:51 PM
If starting a team I'd take Drexler. Far less headaches.

Clyde just had the bad luck of running into MJ in '92, otherwise he'd have 2 titles.

There's literally nothing to me that would point to AI as better in any area. Was he an entertaining player to watch? Yes. Did he "change the game"? In some ways, sure. But he was never an efficient player, numbers prove it and his accolades show it. I liked his game, but his no team mentality took a lot away from what he could have ultimately been.

KBaller33
08-17-2014, 06:53 PM
Iverson was tough minded for sure. I don't know how you can take 30 shots, make 12, and feel good every night.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Iverson was tough minded for sure. I don't know how you can take 30 shots, make 12, and feel good every night.
I think he went to the strip club after every game. That's how he slept good.

Bigsmoke
08-17-2014, 06:56 PM
Iverson is better but I don't want to build a team around a player like that lol.

I am too young to ever watch drexler but I've never heard about him saying practice isn't important.

MiseryCityTexas
08-17-2014, 07:02 PM
Talent, he played with a couple of fringe All-Stars like Terry Porter and Kevin Duckworth and a past prime Buck Williams.

Mutombo would have be he best player Drexler had played with until he joined Houston in his last 3 seasons.

Iverson crossed over Jordan. Jordan drained threes in Drexler's face in 92. Iverson was better

ImKobe
08-17-2014, 07:04 PM
Iverson crossed over Jordan. Jordan drained threes in Drexler's face in 92. Iverson was better

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-25049-laughing-out-loud-lol-gif-Now-xlnU.gif

Bigsmoke
08-17-2014, 07:05 PM
Prime Clyde is so underrated man...

27/8/6 with 2.7 spg on 50% shooting, consecutive seasons with > .200 WS/48

AI ain't even close to being as good of an all-around player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2gfVpcMRWs

that body control, that vertical, those handles, to me he should have had a much better career than he did, but still, he led a team to the Finals and won a championship while putting up solid numbers, you can't even make an argument for AI here. Drexler could have easily put up 30+ ppg seasons, he only took more than 20 shots a game twice in his career, he was a Pippen-like player in terms of team play, maybe to a detriment.

Led his team to the Finals averaging 26/7/7/2/1 for the post-season with an average supporting cast and still took MJ to 6 games. People often overlook him when talking about the greatest wings to ever play the game, It's funny when Jordan haters say there were no great wing players in his era, like Drexler didn't exist.

Porter was almost as important to the blazers as Drexler.

Don't get it twisted. Drexler had a stackex team when he was in Portland in the early 90's

MiseryCityTexas
08-17-2014, 07:06 PM
There's literally nothing to me that would point to AI as better in any area. Was he an entertaining player to watch? Yes. Did he "change the game"? In some ways, sure. But he was never an efficient player, numbers prove it and his accolades show it. I liked his game, but his no team mentality took a lot away from what he could have ultimately been.

Iverson's athletic leaping ability was underrated as **** even when he was in his prime. Not too many 6 foot players have ever dunked on Marcus Camby, but Iverson did it like it was nothing. I remember Iverson was supposed to be in that dunk contest that Kobe won but pulled out of it at the last minute.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2014, 07:11 PM
Porter was almost as important to the blazers as Drexler.

Don't get it twisted. Drexler had a stackex team when he was in Portland in the early 90's
Portland was not stacked up top, but they had a well rounded team. After Drexler, their is a drop off. But after the stop, everything is even.
Their second best player and their 9th man could give you the same production.

A team like Warriors in the early 90s was stacked, up top. You got three weapons as their best player. If Clyde had someone on his level as the second best player, it would have been different. Terry Porter was good, but imagine it that was Stockton, Tim Hardaway or KJ or Mark Price alongside Drexler.

MiseryCityTexas
08-17-2014, 07:14 PM
Clyde Drexler couldn't **** with prime Joe Dumars either. 96-2001 A.I. would tear prime Joe Dumars to shreads.

KBaller33
08-17-2014, 07:14 PM
I think he went to the strip club after every game. That's how he slept good.

Seriously. Jacking up terrible shots, playing one on one while your teammates watch, and watching 60% of my shots clank off the rim would hurt me. I guess being mentally tough is what makes the greats great.

ImKobe
08-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Iverson's athletic leaping ability was underrated as **** even when he was in his prime. Not too many 6 foot players have ever dunked on Marcus Camby, but Iverson did it like it was nothing. I remember Iverson was supposed to be in that dunk contest that Kobe won but pulled out of it at the last minute.

I think Drexler's leaping ability is better, but Iverson no doubt was an extraordinary athlete for his size and did things with the ball that most all-time greats could dream about, but his game as a whole was flawed on so many levels man... I have no doubt about AI's skill and potential being higher than Drexler's, but overall, Drexler put up better numbers and achieved more in his career. AI was such a gifted passer but chose to shoot the ball more, even though he wasn't that great at shooting it at such a high volume (not many are really).

Based off of potential and pure nostalgia, I'd obviously go with AI but the reality is that from a pure production and achievements standpoint, Drexler was better.

L.Kizzle
08-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Clyde Drexler couldn't **** with prime Joe Dumars either.
What, get out of here. :lol

Bigsmoke
08-17-2014, 07:19 PM
Portland was not stacked up top, but they had a well rounded team. After Drexler, their is a drop off. But after the stop, everything is even.
Their second best player and their 9th man could give you the same production.

A team like Warriors in the early 90s was stacked, up top. You got three weapons as their best player. If Clyde had someone on his level as the second best player, it would have been different. Terry Porter was good, but imagine it that was Stockton, Tim Hardaway or KJ or Mark Price alongside Drexler.

Didn't Porter tear Stockton ass up in the playoffs?

L.Kizzle
08-17-2014, 07:24 PM
Didn't Porter tear Stockton ass up in the playoffs?
Hey, shit happens. That was just one playoffs. The other playoffs, Stockton was better.

But yeah, Terry went off when they went to their second Finals.

Xiao Yao You
08-17-2014, 09:14 PM
Porter is one of the biggest Jazz killers ever.

Nikola_
08-17-2014, 09:19 PM
Is iverson looking down while dribbling?

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-18-2014, 02:20 PM
Iverson basically shot 45% after the rule changes in 2005, but that conveniently gets ignored in these type of threads.

01-05 regular season = 29.5 ppg on 41,1%FG, 29,8% 3PT, 3.9 TOV, .133 WS/48, 103 ORTG

gets even worse in the Playoffs, where he took 28 shots a game to average 32 ppg on 40% shooting from 01-05

there's no way a player should be taking that many shots a game, when he can't even shoot a decent % like Kobe does, AI chucked even worse than Kobe and it hurt his teams.

but but, look at his handles!! let's disregard how he took 28 shots a game when he couldn't even make 40% of them, or how he took like 2000 jump shots for a season and shot under 35% on them

No offense, but if you think "handles" were what made Iverson, you should stop watching basketball while you're ahead.

AI was able to get in the pass lanes and basically play like a cornerback would in the NFL. His playmaking gets underrated too. 6-8 assists a year with no real legit second scoring option?

Just think about the teams he was on. Or the team he led to the NBA finals. Philly was predicated on defense, which further proves my point. Dude didn't have much scoring options and should get more credit for carrying the load offensively.

You gotta go with Glyde. No doubt. But still a good comparison because of what they achieved per accomplishments.

ImKobe
08-18-2014, 04:59 PM
Iverson basically shot 45% after the rule changes in 2005, but that conveniently gets ignored in these type of threads.

No offense, but if you think "handles" were what made Iverson, you should stop watching basketball while you're ahead.

AI was able to get in the pass lanes and basically play like a cornerback would in the NFL. His playmaking gets underrated too. 6-8 assists a year with no real legit second scoring option?

Just think about the teams he was on. Or the team he led to the NBA finals. Philly was predicated on defense, which further proves my point. Dude didn't have much scoring options and should get more credit for carrying the load offensively.

You gotta go with Glyde. No doubt. But still a good comparison because of what they achieved per accomplishments.

I'm just saying how the casual fan views Iverson. He was a great player no doubt, but he was a notorious chucker and it hurt his overall game.

Gotterdammerung
08-18-2014, 06:38 PM
The Dr. Jack styled breakdown:

Originality: Allen Iverson was definitely unique, but he wasn't original: he was merely the latest and greatest version of the scoring little man first pioneered by Tiny Archibald in the early 70s

houston
08-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Iverson is the better player as an individual, but I think Drexler would merge better with most teams.

agree with this

L.Kizzle
08-18-2014, 09:05 PM
How is Iverson better individually when Drexler is better than AI at everything besides dribbling?

MiseryCityTexas
12-11-2014, 06:44 AM
What, get out of here. :lol

Yeah I kinda went too far when I said that.... I should have said that Dumars had a better team compared to Drexler.

T_L_P
12-11-2014, 01:08 PM
Drexler by a large margin

Marchesk
12-11-2014, 01:18 PM
Definitely Drexler. Dude gets underrated quite a lot. Had the misfortune of coming into his prime when the Pistons and Bulls were winning titles.

But yeah, if Houston had traded Sampson to Portland back in 84 for Clyde and that second pick ...

Sampson was so highly rated back then.

DamnMixes
12-11-2014, 01:23 PM
Give the ball dominant scorers all freedom in the world....And they will never change from that point

Even T-Mac is trying to make a comeback thinking some flabby and sick team will give him to shotjacking minutes.

Both Clyde and AI could do it all, the problem is, that it's a big man's game, ain't no 6'0 guy is gonna lead your team to championship unless it's Isiah and the bad boys crew. Give me a guy that can do it all and is inches taller, all day everyday.

Also when Drexler joined the rockets he was as important as Hakeem there, he blended well there. When AI kept changing teams they were not doing any better.

j3lademaster
12-11-2014, 03:03 PM
Not too many 6 foot players have ever dunked on Marcus Camby, but Iverson did it like it was nothing.Big man not named Lebron does that on a guard, over the back. Little man does it to a big? Highlight!

SHAQisGOAT
12-11-2014, 03:11 PM
Iverson was the better volume scorer but prime Drexler could also give you 25+ PPG on pretty good efficiency; Glyde was obviously a better rebounder (as he should); you can call it a wash when it comes to passing/playmaking (AI being the better ballhandler), and even the same on defense but Clyde's body enabled him to guard a bigger variety of players, he also got a good amount of steals and almost 1 BPG, so I'd go with him on D.

Overall, I'd definitely go with Drexler... doesn't mean that it ain't close though.

Shih508
12-11-2014, 03:29 PM
Iverson played with some amazing players, but doesn't merge as well with them as seamlessly as Drexler could. Example, I think Drexler would have been more successful with Webber than Iverson was. In Webber's full season with the 76ers (he was still averaging 20/10), they also had a young but already talented Iggy and Korver, yet they were below .500 and missed the playoffs. I think it is very possible that if you gave AI Drexler's teams, he could have put up big points and not achieved much elsewise. People undervalue what Larry Brown's system did for AI in the early 2000s.

Who did AI have other than age 38+ Mutumbo that's considered a true side kick for a title contending team? One leg C-Web, Overrated and overweight players like Melo and Glenn Robinson?

It just shows u never watched AI played back in day. C Web only full season with sixers, he was shelf of his old self that's why Kings traded him for 3 role players cuz they knew C Webb was done. Iggy and Korver were both their 1st or 2nd year during that season. And Mo Cheeks was their coach, that team was just bad.

ImKobe
12-11-2014, 03:32 PM
Who did AI have other than age 38+ Mutumbo that's considered a true side kick for a title contending team? One leg C-Web, Overrated and overweight players like Melo and Glenn Robinson?

In 01, Mutombo was 34 and won the DPOY, averaged 12 & 12 with 2.5 bpg for the Sixers in the regular season, 14 & 14 with 3.1 bpg in the POs :confusedshrug:

Shih508
12-11-2014, 03:34 PM
I'm just saying how the casual fan views Iverson. He was a great player no doubt, but he was a notorious chucker and it hurt his overall game.

Kobe is always the bigger chucker among him and AI. AI wouldn't even take 20 shots a game if he's been playing with Shaq.

j3lademaster
12-11-2014, 03:39 PM
30 year old AI after sustaining multiple injuries that's lost a step averaged 33/3/7.4 on .543 ts and .165 w/s. AI was built for this current league, really wonder what a prime AI could have done. It really is just AI's luck that happened to be Kobe's 35 ppg and 81 point season and his ridiculous 40 point streak overshadowing it. But put this into perspective: If I were to say a prime AI in the right situation would be leading his team deep into the playoffs while putting up 30/7 on .55 ts right now... it'd be tough to dispute. Those are some gaudy numbers.

Drex on the other hand, gave you good defense 1-3, is a big guard with ball skills and elite rebounding for his position.

So starting a team give me Drex, but for my Bulls a prime AI would make us favorites overnight. Pau probably won't be averaging 20/10 anymore though :oldlol:

Shih508
12-11-2014, 03:42 PM
In 01, Mutombo was 34 and won the DPOY, averaged 12 & 12 with 2.5 bpg for the Sixers in the regular season, 14 & 14 with 3.1 bpg in the POs :confusedshrug:

I said it, besides Mutombo who did AI have? Give AI another star player who can still ball, his team could compete with best of them.

BTW, people always thought Mutombo was at least 2 or 3 yr older than he's listed.

j3lademaster
12-11-2014, 03:47 PM
I said it, besides Mutombo who did AI have? Give AI another star player who can still ball, his team could compete with best of them.

BTW, people always thought Mutombo was at least 2 or 3 yr older than he's listed.This. Especially when Theo Ratliff went down and missed the entire postseason.

ArbitraryWater
12-11-2014, 03:49 PM
Drexler in a blowout

ArbitraryWater
12-11-2014, 03:52 PM
[QUOTE=Gotterdammerung]The Dr. Jack styled breakdown:

Originality: Allen Iverson was definitely unique, but he wasn't original: he was merely the latest and greatest version of the scoring little man first pioneered by Tiny Archibald in the early 70s

j3lademaster
12-11-2014, 03:54 PM
In 01, Mutombo was 34 and won the DPOY, averaged 12 & 12 with 2.5 bpg for the Sixers in the regular season, 14 & 14 with 3.1 bpg in the POs :confusedshrug:No doubt Mutombo was underrated, but who were AI's 6ers really more talented than? VC had Oakley and Antonio Davis who were far better than the 6er's 3rd best player, Jesus had Glenn Robinson and Sam Cassell, Indiana had Jalen Rose, Reggie Miller and JO which is a decent core; all far better than the 6er's 3rd best player.

Then the Lakers who obviously outmatched them talent-wise top to bottom in the finals....

6ers were just a bunch of defensive guys and grinders who really couldn't help AI at all on offense.