PDA

View Full Version : I seriously need help gaining weight

FreezingTsmoove
08-17-2014, 11:42 PM
I literally have no where else to ask but ISH. I am in my early 20's and I love working out and playing basketball, I usually do both after work everyday then turn up at night. My boy told me that one way to gain weight was to join a gym and put on muscle. Well I did and with hard work I now only have 3% body weight (Like Dwight Howard). Turning the little fat I had into muscle actually made me lose weight. I also loved to drink soda and I stopped and in over a month I have lost weight again. Sure I run a clocked 4.51, and can dunk a basketball at only 5'6 (any hoop) but it sucks being skinny sometimes. How do I put on weight and still eat healthy.

red1
08-17-2014, 11:44 PM
Chocolate whey protein powder with oatmeal, peanut butter, milk and banana in a shake. Drink those constantly. Easy to prepare and easy to add to your current diet

Rodmantheman
08-17-2014, 11:44 PM
how much do you weigh?

FreezingTsmoove
08-17-2014, 11:45 PM
how much do you weigh?

130 and I haven't gained weight in over 2 years I don't want this to be my peak. I used to wright 135 but like I posted I have lost weight

FreezingTsmoove
08-17-2014, 11:46 PM
Chocolate whey protein powder with oatmeal, peanut butter, milk and banana in a shake. Drink those constantly. Easy to prepare and easy to add to your current diet

Thanks I will go to GNC tomorrow

DwnShft2Xcelr8
08-17-2014, 11:54 PM
Go to iifym.com and look up the TDEE calculator.
It'll ask you to enter your height and weight. Do it.
Then it'll calculate how many calories per day you need to eat to maintain your current weight. Now that you have a rough idea, go to myfitnesspal.com and sign up (free membership). This is a site that allows you to list what foods you've eaten on any given day.
From this point on, keep track of how many calories you are eating. Eat up to 250-500 more than your maintenance calories.
Continue lifting weights. Do progressive overload (look that up if you don't know what it is).
We're all gonna make it, brah.

TheNaturalWR
08-17-2014, 11:58 PM
If you meant 3% body fat, I highly doubt it. Dwight Howard isn't that either. Having that low of a body fat percentage is life-threatening. Dwight Howard is probably around 10%. Either way, at 130 lbs you most likely have very little muscle mass. Since you're a beginner get on a 3 day full-body workout routine and just eat a lot. Find your caloric maintenance and eat 500 calories over it. You might have to eat even more because you play basketball so often which burns a shitload of calories. When you first start working out, you build strength and muscle at a really fast rate so enjoy it while you can because eventually they'll slow down. Gaining weight is pretty easy if you enjoy eating. Always meet your protein and fat requirements, protein being 1g per bodyweight and fats being anywhere from .4g+ per bodyweight. And then just fill the rest in with carbs or whatever you want to eat.

TheNaturalWR
08-17-2014, 11:59 PM
Thanks I will go to GNC tomorrow

Don't go crazy at it though. Just buy a tub for moments when you're just not hungry and need to meet your protein requirements. Chicken breasts have way more protein and are cheaper as well.

FreezingTsmoove
08-18-2014, 12:05 AM
If you meant 3% body fat, I highly doubt it. Dwight Howard isn't that either. Having that low of a body fat percentage is life-threatening. Dwight Howard is probably around 10%. Either way, at 130 lbs you most likely have very little muscle mass. Since you're a beginner get on a 3 day full-body workout routine and just eat a lot. Find your caloric maintenance and eat 500 calories over it. You might have to eat even more because you play basketball so often which burns a shitload of calories. When you first start working out, you build strength and muscle at a really fast rate so enjoy it while you can because eventually they'll slow down. Gaining weight is pretty easy if you enjoy eating. Always meet your protein and fat requirements, protein being 1g per bodyweight and fats being anywhere from .4g+ per bodyweight. And then just fill the rest in with carbs or whatever you want to eat.

Dwight has said in a interview he is at three percent after he stopped eating carbs

Cactus-Sack
08-18-2014, 12:05 AM
drink beer.

CavaliersFTW
08-18-2014, 12:20 AM
130 and I haven't gained weight in over 2 years I don't want this to be my peak. I used to wright 135 but like I posted I have lost weight
Eat a lot and lift weights... I weigh 141 right now and I'm 5-11.5 without shoes. 2 or 3 months ago I weighed 130.5 (the increase is from lifting weights and eating a lot). Heaviest I've ever been is about 150 which takes about 6 months of weight training to get to (usually I stop after that). I love having this physique though, like you I'm naturally very agile and athletic because of it. I don't know why on earth you hate it, maybe once you are closer to 30 you'll realize how nice it is to still look or feel "athletic" while everyone else from your age group is starting to look fat or out of shape by comparison. Right now everyone your age is probably still trim. Wont always be that way. Learn to love it is my suggestion. Lifting weights and eating a lot for several months can put on 10+ lbs though, and if you can stick with it for at least a year probably 20+ but expect any weight you gain to disappear once you stop lifting.

Fudge
08-18-2014, 12:33 AM
Be an American.

TheNaturalWR
08-18-2014, 12:38 AM
Dwight has said in a interview he is at three percent after he stopped eating carbs

He's stupid. Have you seen bodybuilders on stage? That's three percent. You could only maintain three percent body fat for maybe a day before something bad happens. Trust me, you and Dwight are not 3% body fat. You shouldn't be worried about body fat percentage right now. As long as you could see your abs at the moment, you're good to set on a nice clean bulk.

Budadiiii
08-18-2014, 01:06 AM
Be an American.
Best advice I ever heard.

:applause:

hateraid
08-18-2014, 10:30 AM
You're 5'6 and you can dunk?

NBAplayoffs2001
08-18-2014, 10:36 AM
I literally have no where else to ask but ISH. I am in my early 20's and I love working out and playing basketball, I usually do both after work everyday then turn up at night. My boy told me that one way to gain weight was to join a gym and put on muscle. Well I did and with hard work I now only have 3% body weight (Like Dwight Howard). Turning the little fat I had into muscle actually made me lose weight. I also loved to drink soda and I stopped and in over a month I have lost weight again. Sure I run a clocked 4.51, and can dunk a basketball at only 5'6 (any hoop) but it sucks being skinny sometimes. How do I put on weight and still eat healthy.

Sadly, I can't really workout this summer besides walks/runs in the mornings or evenings when I can. Too busy of a schedule.

I was 155 at the beginning of the summer I am about 165. I'm 5'9'' and am finally in the range of weight I've wanted to be in. I lost a lot of muscles sadly and a 6 pack that was slightly showing when I was working out 5 times a week.
In the beginning of the summer, I ate unhealthy and gained about 7 pounds in one month. Now I eat healthy and do pushups, pullups or go for 3-4 mile runs/walks. I'm 165 but probably am not the 11% body fat I was this spring. My goal is to gain 5 more pounds by September (with a healthy diet) and start lifting. I get bullied a lot on the basketball court because at 5'9'' 155, I was one of the smallest guys on the courts I play. The majority of guys are 5'11''-6'1''. I get posted up a lot by guys who are 5'10'' and about 170 who can bench 200 pounds. I can deal with them on fastbreaks by fouling hard (I do knock them down when I can- sometimes get them mad but I play play pretty dirty I admit that).

K Xerxes
08-18-2014, 11:08 AM
You need to eat. There is no magical way to put on mass without a calorie surplus. If you work out a lot, you need to eat even more to compensate for the burnt calories and to rebuild muscle. If you start eating more and you're still not putting on mass, you need to eat even more. That's all there is to it. Sometimes it will feel like you're forcing feed in, but it is what it is. Take some protein if you need it, add peanut butter to your diet, add cheese to everything etc. You should be putting on about a pound a week if your calorie surplus is sufficient.

dunksby
08-18-2014, 12:13 PM
Don't get whey protein dude, if you are that slim you need carbs and lots of it, get a carbo gain (http://reviews.bodybuilding.com/NOW/Carbo_Gain/) or a similar product.

Clyde
08-18-2014, 01:34 PM

Dwight says a lot of things I wouldnt believe

qrich
08-18-2014, 01:49 PM
http://store.bbcomcdn.com/images/store/prodimage/prod_27980/image_27980_original_X_450_white.jpg

alenleomessi
08-18-2014, 01:50 PM
i had troubles in my teen years too.. but its really simple dude.. just eat and lift.. eat even when you dont feel like eating, lift even when you dont feel like lifting

i gained 60 lbs in 2 years while maintaining around the same bodyfat %

CelticBaller
08-18-2014, 01:59 PM
i had troubles in my teen years too.. but its really simple dude.. just eat and lift.. eat even when you dont feel like eating, lift even when you dont feel like lifting

i gained 60 lbs in 2 years while maintaining around the same bodyfat %
damn :applause:

KobesFinger
08-18-2014, 02:33 PM
Calculate your maintenance level for calories. You can use this (http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm).
Eat more than your maintenance

ace23
08-18-2014, 03:14 PM
You're 5'6 and you can dunk?
This. Didn't know Aquille Carr had an ISH account.