PDA

View Full Version : What does LeBron have to do to NOT win MVP next year?

russwest0
08-18-2014, 12:11 PM
ESPN just posted their forecast predictions and he's the prohibitive MVP favorite for what, like 6 or 7 seasons in a row?

Unlike him ditching Cleveland and going to Miami that first year, he hasn't gotten much media criticism for ditching Miami and going to Cleveland this time.

With Cleveland being as stacked as they are now, they will likely win 55+ games in the East.

Is LeBron not winning the MVP next year even a realistic scenario at this point?

navy
08-18-2014, 12:24 PM
The MVP is never a lock for anyone.

I mean if Durant plays 40 minutes a game again, chances of him not winning the MVP are slim.

TheMarkMadsen
08-18-2014, 12:25 PM
Lebron won the MVP as soon as he went to Cleveland. That's why the MVP is a joke, the season is months away and Espn is already creating the hype train for Lebron to win Espn.. And guess who votes on MVP? The guys at Espn.

They've already chosen their "MVP story" this year.

navy
08-18-2014, 12:28 PM
Lebron won the MVP as soon as he went to Cleveland. That's why the MVP is a joke, the season is months away and Espn is already creating the hype train for Lebron to win Espn.. And guess who votes on MVP? The guys at Espn.

They've already chosen their "MVP story" this year.
The MVP criteria has been consistent for years now. It is the best player on the best teams plus with a great statistical season.

If Lebron wins it will be because he has a better record/stats then everyone else.

Meticode
08-18-2014, 12:36 PM
If he puts up similar numbers like last year, something like 25/7/7 at 52%+ while leading the Cavaliers to the playoffs (especially a 1st seed) he should win MVP because of the impact it shows he has on a team.

Mr Exlax
08-18-2014, 12:39 PM
What does Westbrook have to do to win it?

ImKobe
08-18-2014, 12:39 PM
If he puts up similar numbers like last year, something like 25/7/7 at 52%+ while leading the Cavaliers to the playoffs (especially a 1st seed) he should win MVP because of the impact it shows he has on a team.

He should only win the MVP if the Cavs finish with a better record than OKC.

Kblaze8855
08-18-2014, 12:40 PM
Its not exactly espn people with MVP votes. Its some people who have other sports related jobs who you may see on ESPn now and then....and a lot of randoms people barely know. radio guys. Local tv.

Cedric Maxwell has an MVP vote. Sean Elliot I think does. Him or the other spurs guy who calls their games. The Warriors color guy. THe Kings, Hawks, and Bulls play by play goes do I know. The fans get one vote from NBA.com polling.

Chris sheridan has a vote. Sam smith. Walt Frazier.

Its an odd group. Has some ESPN guys(Wilbon I believe...but hes probably had it 20 years). But of the 120 I bet like 15-20 actually have ESPN jobs.

Trollsmasher
08-18-2014, 12:41 PM
play like Durant

navy
Better record and comparable stats to Durant.

russwest0

So if they get the first seed, LeBrons win MVP because it shows his impact alone?

You do realize that they are getting ANOTHER top 10 player, a new coach, and plenty of solid role players along with the young players progressing, right?

Meticode
I think it's naive to soley put team recode in the conversation of who should win MVP.

Meticode
08-18-2014, 12:42 PM
So if they get the first seed, LeBrons win MVP because it shows his impact alone?

You do realize that they are getting ANOTHER top 10 player, a new coach, and plenty of solid role players along with the young players progressing, right?
No, but he'll obviously be the leader of that team.

russwest0
08-18-2014, 12:42 PM

I agree with this. If you can't get a better record being in the East, then you don't deserve the award. However I think he is basically a lock for the award.

Cleveland will get the first seed in the weak East with four guys playing like all stars: "Look what LeBron did! They were picking first overall last year!"

BigTicket
08-18-2014, 12:44 PM
Durant and Lebron are on fairly equal footing this year, and whoever leads their team to a better record will likely win.

Hoopz2332
08-18-2014, 12:44 PM
MVP is on lock for LBJ:pimp: Durant had the perfect storm of Lebron coasting early on and then Westvrook going down which allowed to look for his offense even more. Westbrook wont be going down this year so it's a wrap for Durant:oldlol:

russwest0
08-18-2014, 12:45 PM
Durant and Lebron are on fairly equal footing this year, and whoever leads their team to a better record will likely win.

If OKC stays healthy then they should pretty easily finish with the better record.

russwest0
08-18-2014, 12:47 PM
MVP is on lock for LBJ:pimp: Durant had the perfect storm of Lebron coasting early on and then Westvrook going down which allowed to look for his offense even more. Westbrook wont be going down this year so it's a wrap for Durant:oldlol:

Durant last year outplayed LeBron the whole entire season despite being in a far tougher conference and having less help than LeBron got, and the media still considered it one of the closest races ever or some shit all the way down to the final week :lol

That was a telling moment for me. At one point NBA.com's MVP ladder even had LeBron at number one despite his team's record and his stats being worse than Durant's, and with far favorable circumstances than Durant had :lol

It made no sense, but LeBron is basically the Peyton Manning of the NBA.

Droid101
08-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Funny thing... all of this "Kevin Love empty stats" talk, and Kevin Love might be the guy who wins bran his MVP for him.

ImKobe
08-18-2014, 12:51 PM
I think it's naive to soley put team recode in the conversation of who should win MVP.

It's gonna be Lebron vs KD again, let's face it. KD has Westbrook and Ibaka, Lebron has Irving and Love.

Their supporting cast is pretty even, so there should be no excuses for Lebron.

BigTicket
08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
If Lebron and Durant get the top 2 spots again, it will be the 5th time that has happened, and it might not be the last either.

Hoopz2332
08-18-2014, 12:56 PM
Durant last year outplayed LeBron the whole entire season despite being in a far tougher conference and having less help than LeBron got, and the media still considered it one of the closest races ever or some shit all the way down to the final week :lol

LBJ was better..he just played less mins, slower pace and less shots/ft's.

http://i.imgur.com/GnJcLB9.png

LBJ out rebounded and ast Durant

http://i.imgur.com/ziRDHXi.png

durants coring was heavily inflated by bs ft's

http://i.imgur.com/AWDbllb.jpg

That was a telling moment for me. At one point NBA.com's MVP ladder even had LeBron at number one despite his team's record and his stats being worse than Durant's, and with far favorable circumstances than Durant had :lol

It made no sense

^^read what I posted above

russwest0
08-18-2014, 12:59 PM
If you think that LeBron was anywhere close to as good as Durant was last season then :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

russwest0
08-18-2014, 01:00 PM
Do you seriously think LeBron was better than KD last season (atleast in the regular season) ?

What a fukking joke :roll:

Durant had more 2-Point FG's, dunks, and 3-Point FG's than LeBron...

"But look, he had more free throws! His stats don't count!"

:lol

Warfan
08-18-2014, 01:04 PM
Durant had more 2-Point FG's, dunks, and 3-Point FG's than LeBron...

"But look, he had more free throws! His stats don't count!"

:lol

His sidekick misses half the season and still leads the team to 59 wins and a better record whilst playing in a MUCH tougher conference. Played better defense and had one of the goat scoring seasons and streaks. Averaged 34/7/6 in the second half of the season....

But LeCoast was better :roll:

russwest0
08-18-2014, 01:08 PM
His sidekick misses half the season and still leads the team to 59 wins and a better record whilst playing in a MUCH tougher conference. Played better defense and had one of the goat scoring seasons and streaks. Averaged 34/7/6 in the second half of the season....

It's funny as shit.

And I'm going to laugh when ESPN releases their annual NBA player rankings and trots LeBron out as #1 after that shit too :lol :lol

"But, Durant only averaged 30/10 vs the Clippers, Grizzlies, and Spurs!!! LeBron had a much better playoffs!!!" :lol

Funny thing is, had LeBron stayed in MIA, he'd likely be considered #2 where he should be. But now that he made a "power play" and went "home" to Cleveland and all of that shit, the attention is back on him where he usually has it, so, he's the best! :oldlol: Forget reports that Durant took like no more than a week off after losing to the Spurs before practicing again, was DOMINATING in Team USA practices, etc... LeBron went "home" again, so he's the best! :oldlol:

WillC
08-18-2014, 01:09 PM
Before last season started, I put money on Durant winning MVP.

I also had money on the Spurs winning the championship, Kawhi Leonard winning Finals MVP, and Michael Carter-Williams winning Rookie of the Year. They were the only 4 bets I placed all season... and they call came off. Needless to say, I had a nice pay day.

This year, I have put money on Anthony Davis winning MVP. Not because he's the obvious choice, but because the odds are incredibly generous at 50-1 (a $10 stake would return $510). Other than LeBron, Durant, Paul/Griffin, I don't think there's a better candidate than Anthony Davis.

There's a realistic chance he could average 25ppg, 12rpg, 3apg and 3bpg. If he leads his team to a better-than-expected record, he'll get all of the plaudits (whereas LeBron and Durant both have considerable help on their respective teams).

In other words, although it's not likely that Davis will win MVP, it's a lot more likely than the bookies would have us believe.

Meanwhile, Jabari Parker is a lock for Rookie of the Year, if he avoids injury. And I can't see why the Spurs are the bookies' second favourite for the championship. Hence, I've got money on the Spurs once again - at very nice odds indeed.

russwest0
08-18-2014, 01:10 PM
Before last season started, I put money on Durant winning MVP.

I also had money on the Spurs winning the championship, Kawhi Leonard winning Finals MVP, and Michael Carter-Williams winning Rookie of the Year. They were the only 4 bets I placed all season... and they call came off. Needless to say, I had a nice pay day.

This year, I have put money on Anthony Davis winning MVP. Not because he's the obvious choice, but because the odds are incredibly generous at 50-1 (a $10 stake would return $510). Other than LeBron, Durant, Paul/Griffin, I don't think there's a better candidate than Anthony Davis.

There's a realistic chance he could average 25ppg, 12rpg, 3apg and 3bpg. If he leads his team to a better-than-expected record, he'll get all of the plaudits (whereas LeBron and Durant both have considerable help on their respective teams).

In other words, although it's not likely that Davis will win MVP, it's a lot more likely than the bookies would have us believe.

Meanwhile, Jabari Parker is a lock for Rookie of the Year, if he avoids injury. And I can't see why the Spurs are the bookies' second favourite for the championship. Hence, I've got money on the Spurs once again - at very nice odds indeed.

Anthony Davis has no shot at winning MVP next year because his team won't get a good enough record.

Hoopz2332
08-18-2014, 01:11 PM
Do you seriously think LeBron was better than KD last season (atleast in the regular season) ?

yes

Kd had to take almost 3 more shots and 3 more FT's to avg ONLY 5 more points

lebron was the better rebounder and ast man

shot a staggeringly higher Fg% than KD. His FG% was saved from being below .500 because of those bogus FT's

Hoopz2332
08-18-2014, 01:13 PM
His sidekick misses half the season and still leads the team to 59 wins and a better record whilst playing in a MUCH tougher conference.

lebron coasted for almost the first 3 months of the season. The heat as a team were obviously coasting.

WillC
08-18-2014, 01:13 PM
Anthony Davis has no shot at winning MVP next year because his team won't get a good enough record.

If he carries the team on his back to a winning record, he'll get MVP consideration.... especially if the Cavs and Thunder disappoint.

Like I said, it's unlikely, but it's not 50-1 unlikely.

I put $17 on it. Not exactly much to lose... but could win $850.

I'll take those odds.

russwest0
08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
lebron coasted for almost the first 3 months of the season. The heat as a team were obviously coasting.

yeah, and melo and harden coast on defense all the time

who cares?

navy
08-18-2014, 01:15 PM
If he carries the team on his back to a winning record, he'll get MVP consideration.... especially if the Cavs and Thunder disappoint.

Like I said, it's unlikely, but it's not 50-1 unlikely.

I put $17 on it. Not exactly much to lose... but could win $850.

I'll take those odds.
He has to win more than 50 games in the West. It's definitely 50-1.

Hoopz2332
08-18-2014, 01:19 PM
Well then why the hell were you arguing lebron was better in the regular season when he clearly wasnt?

a stat on them back in Feb

http://i.imgur.com/LEDrgR2.jpg

HurricaneKid
08-18-2014, 01:20 PM
Durant la... having less help than LeBron got, and the media still considered it one of the closest races ever or some shit all the way down to the final week :lol

So wrong. Again.

OKC without KD

2011 - +4.6pts/100poss
2012 - +5.2pts/100poss
2013 - +4.1pts/100poss
2014 - +2.0pts/100poss

Mia without LBJ

2011 - Bad data sets, were outscored by 9 points on the season w/o LBJ
2012 - -3.6pts/100
2013 - -2.1pts/100poss
2014 - +0.2pts/100poss*

These differences suggest an enormous gap in supporting casts. The difference being the gulf between a top 4 team and a bottom 8 team in 2012.

* First time in his career LBJ's team was not outscored by the opposition when he was out.

WillC
08-18-2014, 01:21 PM
He has to win more than 50 games in the West. It's definitely 50-1.

I forgot to mention, most bookmakers have Davis at 31-1, 34-1 or 40-1.

Only one bookmakers has Davis at 50-1.

So no, it's not 'definitely' 50-1.

HurricaneKid
08-18-2014, 01:50 PM

I had KD winning the MVP too but lets take a closer look at IMPACT:

Mia without LeBron - +.2pts/100poss
OKC without KD - +2.0pts/100poss

Then look at RAPM and LeBron is #1 and KD is #10.

Its not like there is ZERO argument for LeBron.

dubeta
08-18-2014, 02:52 PM
LeBron is just much better than Durant, no way to look around it

Better, more efficient scorer, better rebounder (look at rebound percentage, better passer, and defender

In fact sometimes i'm surprised when people even try and compare Durant to LeBron considering LeBron is better at every facet of the game except relying on BS freethrows

Hoopz2332
08-18-2014, 05:55 PM
I had KD winning the MVP too but lets take a closer look at IMPACT:

Mia without LeBron - +.2pts/100poss
OKC without KD - +2.0pts/100poss

Then look at RAPM and LeBron is #1 and KD is #10.

Its not like there is ZERO argument for LeBron.

:applause:

guy
08-18-2014, 06:37 PM
Oh sh*t. The arguable best player in the game is predicted to win MVP. What a conspiracy! :oldlol:

Some of you are f*cking ridiculous.

Hoopz2332
08-18-2014, 06:37 PM
So wrong. Again.

OKC without KD

2011 - +4.6pts/100poss
2012 - +5.2pts/100poss
2013 - +4.1pts/100poss
2014 - +2.0pts/100poss

Mia without LBJ

2012 - -3.6pts/100
2013 - -2.1pts/100poss
2014 - +0.2pts/100poss*

These differences suggest an enormous gap in supporting casts. The difference being the gulf between a top 4 team and a bottom 8 team in 2012.

* First time in his career LBJ's team was not outscored by the opposition when he was out.

:applause:

JT123
08-18-2014, 06:39 PM
So wrong. Again.

OKC without KD

2011 - +4.6pts/100poss
2012 - +5.2pts/100poss
2013 - +4.1pts/100poss
2014 - +2.0pts/100poss

Mia without LBJ

2012 - -3.6pts/100
2013 - -2.1pts/100poss
2014 - +0.2pts/100poss*

I see the Kobe/Durant stans are avoiding this post like the plague. :lol :lol :lol :lol

Cocaine80s
08-18-2014, 07:44 PM
http://www.athleticscholarships.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Anthony-Davis-240x300.jpg

Hoopz2332
08-18-2014, 08:54 PM
I see the Kobe/Durant stans are avoiding this post like the plague. :lol :lol :lol :lol

like clockwork, they always do when they get hit with that ether:oldlol:

dubeta
08-18-2014, 10:59 PM

:roll: :applause:

Bran >>>>>>> kobe/durant not close at all

chazzy
08-18-2014, 11:12 PM
Lol at Hoopz with his propaganda/unpaid PR job for LBJ. Durant was clearly the better regular season player last year. Lebron reclaimed his spot as top dog after their playoff performances.

Straight_Ballin
08-18-2014, 11:16 PM
:roll: :applause:

Bran >>>>>>> kobe/durant not close at all

lebron traveled

Inferno
08-18-2014, 11:29 PM
Be worse than KD

Straight_Ballin
08-18-2014, 11:44 PM
Who cares about season MVP....dude is like 2/5 or some shit.

jrong
08-19-2014, 12:54 AM
1. Fail to get the top seed in the East

(or)

2. Heat's win total is essentially unaffected by his absence. They only won 54 this year, so if they do 50+ this year, it should reflect negatively on his level of valuableness.