PDA

View Full Version : robots are coming to take your job

Nanners
08-19-2014, 03:25 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Pq-S557XQU

really interesting video about automation and how it will impact human labor.

Gr
08-19-2014, 03:46 AM
Automation is not an issue. All it does is free up otherwise occupied resources and open up new opportunities.

/thread

fiddy
08-19-2014, 04:20 AM
What show is that?
http://matrix.wikia.com/wiki/The_Second_Renaissance

ballup
08-19-2014, 06:02 AM
[QUOTE=Gr

Godzuki
08-19-2014, 08:32 AM
look at grocery stores, more than half the aisles are automated in most grocers i go to. they're straight forward and in n out easy. those are the first i've noticed as the wave of the future, in fact was pretty impressed when i first saw one.

a lot of factory workers are going to lose their automaton jobs too.

lots of people will and its going to create a lot of problems even tho the world will become better, and more convenient.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
08-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Well, with fast food employees demanding $15/hour, it was bound to cause a robotic cooker to be built.
Sex dolls will become more realistic, making procreating among humans almost obsolete. You can already see this happening in Japan.
Eventually factories and warehouses will only require robots and simple mechanics to fix those robots.
Banks won't require tellers.
Businesses won't need security officers.
The trucking industry will take advantage of automated trucks.
Even the police could be replaced by more attentive, swift, rule abiding robots.
As the world's technologies advance, humans will become irrelevant. The only way I see a non-politician, non-doctor, non-Engineer making money in the distant future is if the govt just goes mild Communism mode and gives everyone a monthly living allowance...

That is, until robots takeover the govt, too.

Even doctors and engineers could be replaced by high intelligence robots.

russwest0
08-19-2014, 10:05 AM
good, i'm tired of the dumpy kids at mcdonalds fukking my order up

riseagainst
08-19-2014, 10:06 AM
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1395/28/1395282473535.gif

:roll:

riseagainst
08-19-2014, 10:07 AM
that's why you should get jobs in technology, mainly software development type of fields.

BlkMambaGOAT
08-19-2014, 10:48 AM
that's why you should get jobs in technology, mainly software development type of fields.
Firstly, there is not nearly enough STEM jobs for a world where the unemployment rate is greater than 20%.

Secondly, even STEM jobs will outdated as (in theory) robots/programs will soon be able to solve technology problems w/o the need to attend school for several years, consume immense amounts of food, water, electricity.
For example, it takes at least 18 years of schooling, food, water and electricity to become a rookie engineer, whereas it could take much less than a year to develop a robot that is specifically tailored to tackle engineering problems effectively.

Thirdly, it is likely that the economy would crash long before robots replaced most low to moderate skill level jobs. By crash I mean a much shittier version of the Great Depression. PM me if you want a better explanation.

JohnnySic
08-19-2014, 11:05 AM
Robots are cool.

Rockets(T-mac)
08-19-2014, 11:19 AM
Some of you are overrating the ability of robots. They can replace labor/physical jobs and all that, but I highly doubt they will ever reach the point where they can themselves will create new technology. Hence why replacing an engineer with a robot for example would be difficult.

A computer only knows/does what it's programmed to do, by a human. If that programmer missed or forgets to program something in, the computer will never know to do that task.

There are many tasks a human being is capable for doing that a computer just can't. My point is humans can never become irrelevant, because robots are made by humans.

The job market will probably adjust over time when labor jobs become purely automated, but the effects will be felt for awhile by the generation that it replaces. If that day comes, hopefully education systems are tweaked to make sure that kids are working towards careers that are relevant.

Rockets(T-mac)
08-19-2014, 12:21 PM
What we reach the singularity doe?I don't think singularity is possible.

Nanners
08-19-2014, 12:30 PM
Some of you are overrating the ability of robots. They can replace labor/physical jobs and all that, but I highly doubt they will ever reach the point where they can themselves will create new technology. Hence why replacing an engineer with a robot for example would be difficult.

A computer only knows/does what it's programmed to do, by a human. If that programmer missed or forgets to program something in, the computer will never know to do that task.

There are many tasks a human being is capable for doing that a computer just can't. My point is humans can never become irrelevant, because robots are made by humans.

The job market will probably adjust over time when labor jobs become purely automated, but the effects will be felt for awhile by the generation that it replaces. If that day comes, hopefully education systems are tweaked to make sure that kids are working towards careers that are relevant.

did you actually watch the video? with tools like machine learning a robot can learn to do a lot more than it is initially programmed to do.

anyway, we cant all be robot engineers. even if a handful of jobs are safe the vast majority of jobs are very much replaceable by bots, including many of the high end professions like doctors and lawyers.

Jailblazers7
08-19-2014, 12:41 PM
I think it is interesting but I have a lot of doubts about where computers and robots will end up. I'm not sure how robots will be able to perform tasks that require complex decision making in the face of ill-defined problems.

Also, the horse analogy was pretty stupid because human employment is vital to a well-functioning modern society. It is how resources are allocated, not to mention self-worth and other psychological phenomena. I've read some interesting stuff about how the Swiss universal minimum wage is a precursor of the "robot age" as money gets transferred throughout society in one giant welfare program due to the non-existence of work but I can't even begin to imagine how society would change on such a fundamental level.

Akrazotile
08-19-2014, 12:51 PM
Brains are ultimately just a collection of electronic impulses.

If humans can come from monkeys, which came ultimately from amoeba... I dont see why an equal leap from humans to machines cant be made.

I'm not saying it's a good thing. Just not an impossible thing. More like an inevitable thing

Nanners
08-19-2014, 12:52 PM
I think it is interesting but I have a lot of doubts about where computers and robots will end up. I'm not sure how robots will be able to perform tasks that require complex decision making in the face of ill-defined problems.
As was noted in the video, the robots dont need to be perfect, they just need to be better than humans. Humans make a lot of mistakes too.

Also, the horse analogy was pretty stupid because human employment is vital to a well-functioning modern society. It is how resources are allocated, not to mention self-worth and other psychological phenomena. I've read some interesting stuff about how the Swiss universal minimum wage is a precursor of the "robot age" as money gets transferred throughout society in one giant welfare program due to the non-existence of work but I can't even begin to imagine how society would change on such a fundamental level.
It is hard to imagine how society will change as automation becomes more and more ubiquitous. I dont think these changes are something we should be afraid of. Perhaps in a post scarcity society we can do away with the idea of wages altogether, kind of like how things work in the star trek universe.

Rockets(T-mac)
08-19-2014, 12:56 PM
did you actually watch the video? with tools like machine learning a robot can learn to do a lot more than it is initially programmed to do.

anyway, we cant all be robot engineers. even if a handful of jobs are safe the vast majority of jobs are very much replaceable by bots, including many of the high end professions like doctors and lawyers.I'm at work so can't watch the video.

I know about machine learning and how computers can be programed to learn from former tasks and try to predict future solutions, but my main point is that the robot still had to be programmed to do such a thing. To replicate human intelligence the robot would have to be aware or as many things that a human is aware of. Here's an example:

If I asked you "do you know Jerry Seinfeld's phone number?" you would know right away that you don't know it. But if I asked a computer the same thing it would have to go through all it's memory to check if it has that information or not. You did not have to think about whether you know the number, you just knew that you didn't know. Things like this I don't see computers being able to do.

I'm not saying computers have hit a plateau or something, there is still much more we can get out of computers, and probably achieve robots/computers that can look and interact similar to humans, but I don't think we ever get fully there.

I don't think jobs that involve emotional interaction/intelligence can be replaced by robots. That includes doctors and lawyers. Will parts of these jobs be replaced? For sure, that's already happened in pretty much every job imaginable. Technology has changed and will continue to change the way to do things, and the nature of jobs for a long long time. It will make some jobs obsolete, but I don't think it will ever truly take over our lives.

Rockets(T-mac)
08-19-2014, 01:02 PM
Then why are reputed scientists saying it's inevitable? I haven't read many of these type of articles, I'm just basing what I said on my own logic and experiences. I'm not saying it is impossible, I'm saying I don't think it can happen.

Jailblazers7
08-19-2014, 01:04 PM
As was noted in the video, the robots dont need to be perfect, they just need to be better than humans. Humans make a lot of mistakes too.

It is hard to imagine how society will change as automation becomes more and more ubiquitous. I dont think these changes are something we should be afraid of. Perhaps in a post scarcity society we can do away with the idea of wages altogether, kind of like how things work in the star trek universe.

Yeah, but there are a ton of jobs where limiting mistakes in a repetitive process isn't the most important task. For example, the video brought up high frequency trading but didn't mention how limited those bots are in the trading strategies that they are capable of performing. For example, there are no bots that I am aware of that are trading steel future based on a long-term forecast of China's socio-political environment. They can see fluctuations in the markets based on value judgments made by humans but they can't make the value judgments themselves. Maybe someday they will be able to but they basically have to be sentient in order to do that.

No clue about the Star Trek thing but sounds interesting. I might have to look into that just out of curiosity.

dude77
08-19-2014, 01:07 PM
yeah .. and there was a time that you would've laughed or thought someone was insane for saying that they're going to build flying machines that take you 5000 miles around the world in half a day .. or that we would be flying to the fkn moon .. or would laugh at the thought of the existence of a lot of shit we have today .. beware of the bots

08-19-2014, 02:13 PM
Google: "the Venus project" and "the zeitgeist movement"

oh the horror
08-19-2014, 02:46 PM
Second Renaissance from Animatrix. Better than the Matrix films besides the original.

How many of these films are there? Would like to check then out but haven't the slightest idea about them

oh the horror
08-19-2014, 02:54 PM
If you mean the animation, it's like a bunch of shorts into one thing called Animatrix. If you mean the live action films, there are 3.

So the animatrix are the cartoon shorts that are the backstory to the matrix trilogy

I've seen the Matrix trilogy.

ace23
08-19-2014, 03:21 PM
To replicate human intelligence the robot would have to be aware or as many things that a human is aware of. Here's an example:

If I asked you "do you know Jerry Seinfeld's phone number?" you would know right away that you don't know it. But if I asked a computer the same thing it would have to go through all it's memory to check if it has that information or not. You did not have to think about whether you know the number, you just knew that you didn't know. Things like this I don't see computers being able to do.
No it wouldn't. Lol. It'd come up with an answer quicker than you would.

Nanners
08-19-2014, 05:46 PM

wat

Akrazotile
08-19-2014, 05:50 PM
they took r jabs!!

Josh
08-19-2014, 09:43 PM
Here's the million dollar question everyone should be asking themselves (especially those who feel they're somehow exempt from the obviously unavoidable AI takeover) ... if a robot can replace a surgeon, who can they not replace?

:confusedshrug:

Micku
08-19-2014, 10:10 PM
http://img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1395/28/1395282473535.gif
http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0/3/3/6/8/3/3/5/jerbs-82331276051.png

kNIOKAS
08-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Saw this vid on a DC forum. Coincidence?

Jailblazers7
08-22-2014, 12:53 PM
http://mobile.nytimes.com/2014/08/23/upshot/why-the-robots-might-not-take-our-jobs-after-all-they-lack-common-sense.html?abt=0002&abg=0&_r=0&referrer=

Good article about why we shouldn't worry

Rockets(T-mac)
08-22-2014, 02:34 PM
No it wouldn't. Lol. It'd come up with an answer quicker than you would.How would the computer give you an answer than?

And I'm not saying you'd answer the question faster than the computer, if the computer is powerful enough it would probably find the answer faster. I"m just saying that the computer goes about the problem in a different way then a human does, and in this case the human doesn't do much work at all to give the answer, where as the computer does more work. Its like that article posted by jailblazers says, they lack common sense.

ace23
08-22-2014, 03:32 PM
How would the computer give you an answer than?
Depends on how it's programmed but basically similarly to how you would: Recognize Jerry Seinfeld, check memory for him, see if there is something called phone number there. If not, say "idk". Any computer you use will be able to come up with that faster and more effortlessly than you can process the question. It's 2 steps.

The hard part is getting a computer to really understand language and social interaction.