PDA

View Full Version : Prime Ewing or Prime Duncan, who ya got?

Knicksfever2010
08-19-2014, 05:36 PM
Sorry but for my money I'm taking the big fella from Georgetown. He was a legit center at legit 7 feet tall. His scowl is something of legend.

Ewing averaged more points, more blocks, same field goal%, higher free throw %

If Ewing had the kind of talent Duncan had, he would easily have 2 rings and people would say he's better than Duncan/Olajuwon.

Look at Ewings stats, his prime years DWARFS duncan and its not even close.

SouBeachTalents
08-19-2014, 05:37 PM
Nobody's choosing Ewing

riseagainst
08-19-2014, 05:43 PM
they are about the same level.

Knicksfever2010
08-19-2014, 05:46 PM
thats too bad, just look at the stats, Ewings starts are so much better than Duncan. Keep in mind Ewing had to completely change his game, coming out of Georgetown he was supposed to be a defensive center, all of his offense was developed at the nba level. EXTREMELY rare for a player to change his game at the nba level; imagine asking Rodman or Ben Wallace to score 25 points a game?

Its amazeballs that Ewing even made it to an nba finals w/ the players around him, when your best 2nd option is john stars, you in trouble. How do you think Duncans career would have turned out if his next best player was john starks?

Ewing is so undervalued its mind boggling

SouBeachTalents
08-19-2014, 06:03 PM
thats too bad, just look at the stats, Ewings starts are so much better than Duncan. Keep in mind Ewing had to completely change his game, coming out of Georgetown he was supposed to be a defensive center, all of his offense was developed at the nba level. EXTREMELY rare for a player to change his game at the nba level; imagine asking Rodman or Ben Wallace to score 25 points a game?

Its amazeballs that Ewing even made it to an nba finals w/ the players around him, when your best 2nd option is john stars, you in trouble. How do you think Duncans career would have turned out if his next best player was john starks?

Ewing is so undervalued its mind boggling

1. It's safe to assume that if Jordan never retired the Knicks don't make the Finals in '94

2. Check out the help Duncan got in the '03 title run, it's not any better than what Ewing had to work with in '94

bizil
08-19-2014, 06:04 PM
This one is close but I'm taking Timmy. Due to his flawless arsenal on the block, passing ability, and versatility. However, Pat was a beast and was every bit the scorer, rebounder, and paint protector though that peak Duncan was.

robert_shaww
08-19-2014, 06:23 PM
if ewing was healthy in 99 that series was going to seven....

ImKobe
08-19-2014, 06:24 PM
This thread man

http://i34.tinypic.com/30lmno2.jpg

Real14
08-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Prime Ewing.

Hey Yo
08-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Ewing was definitely the better shooter (more range) and had more of an arsenal. His turn around fade away was $$$.

If you need a true center, then you take Ewing. If you need a guy who can play PF or C, then you take Duncan.

TheReal Kendall
08-19-2014, 06:42 PM
Ewing was definitely the better shooter (more range) and had more of an arsenal. His turn around fade away was $$$.

If you need a true center, then you take Ewing. If you need a guy who can play PF or C, then you take Duncan.

http://www.reactiongifs.com/r/roperclrty.gif

Hey Yo
08-19-2014, 06:53 PM
Sorry but, I prefer Chrissy or Janet > Mrs. Roper

Larry Dallas always kept his pimp hand strong.

Purch
08-19-2014, 06:54 PM
There's not a single year I take Ewing over 03 Duncan. If you were really an Ewing fan, you'd actually know the main criticisms against him have nothing to do with his raw stats

In fact I'm pretty sure I consider D rob a better big than Ewing as well

j3lademaster
08-19-2014, 07:00 PM

Ewing is so undervalued its mind bogglingActually, Ewing had a better supporting cast on paper than Hakeem did for his first title. Pat Riley is one of the greatest coaches of all time, Anthony Mason fit in great as a good defender and a decent 3rd or 4th playmaker, Charles Smith was a stud early in his career and was still a 20 ppg guy if he got the touches down in the block. Granted a team with Charles Smith as a 20 ppg 1st/2nd option probably isn't going anywhere in the playoffs, it's a nice piece to have off the bench or another scorer to give Ewing a breather. Knicks had a plethora of above average players and a great system for their roles. How tough is it to get a rebound against a frontcourt of Mason, Ewing and Oakley? Now try to go into the paint against that, I dare you.

New York's defensive setup in the 90's was perfect for the type of ball played in that era.

CavaliersFTW
08-19-2014, 07:23 PM
Ewing is not a legit 7 feet, he's never been officially measured but looks about 6-10 or 6-11, Duncan is about 6-10, they're basically the same size. though Ewing may have had greater relative armspan which always helps. Duncan has bigger hands though which also helps

Xiao Yao You
08-19-2014, 07:26 PM
Duncan no doubt

Nastradamus
08-19-2014, 07:36 PM
I think the more advanced stats kind of tell the story that your eyes see when you watch them play. Duncan has a 24.5 PER to Ewing's 21 and a .211 WS/48 compared to .150 for Ewing.

They key differences are Duncan had almost double the assist rate, was more consistent throughout his career and had a slightly better rebounding rate. Duncan seems to have gotten his offensive production more within the flow of the game as well, though their USG% are about the same.

RoundMoundOfReb
08-19-2014, 07:40 PM
Duncan is better both on offense and defense...

rmt
08-19-2014, 07:47 PM
As Parker said, if Duncan played in New York, he'd be considered a god.

ShackEelOKneel
08-19-2014, 09:12 PM
Tim Duncan all day every day.

Akrazotile
08-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Im with OP on this one. Shit, give me CURRENT Ewing over prime Duncan.

Because it's like dat. DEAL WID IT.

oarabbus
08-19-2014, 09:52 PM
Sorry but for my money I'm taking the big fella from Georgetown. He was a legit center at legit 7 feet tall. His scowl is something of legend.

Ewing averaged more points, more blocks, same field goal%, higher free throw %

If Ewing had the kind of talent Duncan had, he would easily have 2 rings and people would say he's better than Duncan/Olajuwon.

Look at Ewings stats, his prime years DWARFS duncan and its not even close.

Why are you apologizing? Choosing Choker Ewing over Duncan is why the Knicks have a goose egg to show for the last 20 years while Duncan and the Spurs have 5 ships :roll: :roll:

Gotterdammerung
08-19-2014, 10:01 PM
Dr. Jack styled breakdown

Both bigs had comparable stature: Duncan at 7 and 260lbs, Pat at 7 and 240 lbs. however Duncan had the larger posterior, making him better suited at establishing pivotal position than Ewing. That allowed Duncan to induce more fouls as well.

Ewing while reliable, was limited by his bad hands, whereas Duncan had larger ones. His posterior and hands made him the superior rebounder.

Duncan had superior options on offense than Ewing: better spin moves and better left hand, stronger moves from right box.
Ewing had a step of two on his effective shooting range.

Duncan had superior handle, especially in face up situations. His passing was more reliable, hence less of a turnover machine.

Ewing was probably the better off the ball shot blocker, but Duncan played superior positional defense against post up threats, and a much better help defender.

Duncan's greatness is most defined in the clutch: he had a larger bag if tricks to use than Patrick did.

Ewing had low BB IQ and a penchant for choking.

Reggie43
08-19-2014, 10:33 PM
Would Duncan be considered a choker if he played in the 90s and lost to Jordan and Hakeem and the other great players in that era that Ewing faced?

Gotterdammerung
08-19-2014, 10:53 PM
Would Duncan be considered a choker if he played in the 90s and lost to Jordan and Hakeem and the other great players in that era that Ewing faced?
Hypotheticals are always a poor way of evaluating a player's career. :oldlol:

You only have the actual results from the real world to work from!

Reggie43
08-19-2014, 11:32 PM
Hypotheticals are always a poor way of evaluating a player's career. :oldlol:

You only have the actual results from the real world to work from!

I wasnt basing on their careers but their skills as a player. Pretty obvious who takes it if careers are concerned

T_L_P
08-19-2014, 11:53 PM
Ewing from 88-97 in the Playoffs: 22.5/10.9/2.4/0.9/2.5/.528 TS%

Duncan from 98-07: 23.8/12.5/3.5/0.7/2.8/.560 TS%

Duncan was better on both ends.

IGOTGAME
08-19-2014, 11:55 PM

I don't think Duncan loses to Jordan and Hakeem every time.

Reggie43
08-19-2014, 11:59 PM

Sure, but we all know who has the edge on those matchups.

IGOTGAME
08-20-2014, 12:11 AM
Sure, but we all know who has the edge on those matchups.

I think Duncan is a better player than Hakeem over their primes. And Jordan never had to go through a balanced team with a dominant big man.

Smoke117
08-20-2014, 12:28 AM
You're asking this to a bunch of kids who never saw Ewing in his prime.

Reggie43
08-20-2014, 12:49 AM
I think Duncan is a better player than Hakeem over their primes. And Jordan never had to go through a balanced team with a dominant big man.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion even though I disagree. Jordan faced well balanced teams with dominant bigs like the Magic, Sonics, Jazz while Olajuwon has the edge statswise against Duncan espeacially if you watched them play at their best.

noob cake
08-20-2014, 12:56 AM

Ewing played in a really though era for bigs. Duncan played in perhaps the weakest era for PF/C.

I think Prime Ewing is better than Prime Duncan by a significant margin, but I have to put some value on being a winner.

Therefore logically, I have to go with Duncan. We can play hypothetical all we want, but I truly think that Duncan would merely be a HOF player had his career mainly took place in the 90's.

G-train
08-20-2014, 12:59 AM
Not sure how you split Ewing and Duncan, 2 all time great centres.
Of course if you add up awards it's Duncan, but awards are pretty useless for comparison, especially given different eras.

G-train
08-20-2014, 01:00 AM

It's not a game of one on one.

Organisations win titles.

G-train
08-20-2014, 01:02 AM
1. It's safe to assume that if Jordan never retired the Knicks don't make the Finals in '94

2. Check out the help Duncan got in the '03 title run, it's not any better than what Ewing had to work with in '94

1. No it's not safe at all, too many factors.

2. Different opponents, players, rules, everything.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 01:09 AM
Ewing played in a really though era for bigs. Duncan played in perhaps the weakest era for PF/C.

I think Prime Ewing is better than Prime Duncan by a significant margin, but I have to put some value on being a winner.

Therefore logically, I have to go with Duncan. We can play hypothetical all we want, but I truly think that Duncan would merely be a HOF player had his career mainly took place in the 90's.

This whole post. :facepalm

Duncan played in arguably the best era for PFs, and there's no way prime Ewing is significantly better than Duncan. If he is, it should be easy to qualify that statement, so could you?

Stringer Bell
08-20-2014, 01:33 AM
The one who could actually pass his way out of a double team.

houston
08-20-2014, 01:40 AM
:roll: duncan all day

SouBeachTalents
08-20-2014, 01:43 AM
1. No it's not safe at all, too many factors.

2. Different opponents, players, rules, everything.

1. You really think after needing 7 games to beat the Bulls without him, they still win that series with Jordan in his prime on the roster?

2. So you're saying it was easier to carry a mediocre supporting cast to a title in one era over another?

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 01:46 AM
1. You really think after needing 7 games to beat the Bulls without him, they still win that series with Jordan in his prime on the roster?

Would have been much better for his legacy. I watched half the 94 Finals about 5 years after it happened, and I don't think I've seen a superstar crumble as badly. It was embarrassing.

Stringer Bell
08-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Actually, Ewing had a better supporting cast on paper than Hakeem did for his first title.

That is true. And basically what made the difference is how badly Ewing got outplayed by Hakeem. Ewing's shooting was horrendous, averaging 19 PPG on 23 FG attempts per game.

For all the talk about John Starks's game 7, Houston wasn't getting good shooting from its backcourt either. Maxwell and Smith shot terribly during the series. Harper outplayed Smith/Cassell and Starks outplayed Mad Max. Cassell made one big shot in the series, but struggled from the field as just about everyone else did.

Starks gets all the blame...The Knicks would have wrapped it up earlier if Ewing wasn't throwing up brick after brick after brick in close defeats.

SouBeachTalents
08-20-2014, 01:48 AM
Would have been much better for his legacy. I watched half the 94 Finals about 5 years after it happened, and I don't think I've seen a superstar crumble as badly. It was embarrassing.

http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20NBA%20Record/Lebron%20James/aka%20big%20choker/lebron-james-2011-nba-final-4q.jpg

Worse than this?

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 01:49 AM
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn200/nbacardDOTnet/zz%20NBA%20Photo%20Gallery/z%20Funny%20NBA%20Photos/Funny%20NBA%20Record/Lebron%20James/aka%20big%20choker/lebron-james-2011-nba-final-4q.jpg

Worse than this?

Interesting point...maybe Pat takes a back seat to LeBron here.

RRR3
08-20-2014, 01:52 AM
Lol was about to post that. At least LeBron redeemed himself. Ewing...well he's still a legend

Round Mound
08-20-2014, 01:54 AM
Ewing Was a Better Shooter, Scorer and Team Defender. Duncan Was a Better Passer, Rebounder, Ball Handler, Finisher and Had a Higher B-Ball IQ. Pretty Much Equal If Ewing Did Not Have Bad Knees. Duncan Was a Better All Around Player Thoigh.

dreamwarrior
08-20-2014, 02:40 AM
I saw both play in their prime and I'm going to have to give it to Duncan. Duncan at Center is a slightly better David Robinson and both of them crushed Ewing h2h.

SouBeachTalents
08-20-2014, 02:44 AM
I saw both play in their prime and I'm going to have to give it to Duncan. Duncan at Center is a slightly better David Robinson and both of them crushed Ewing h2h.

If you're referring to the '99 Finals, Ewing didn't play, he was out with an injury

Knicksfever2010
08-20-2014, 03:11 AM

I'm confused by your statement, Ewings offensive numbers are better than duncan.

Reggie43
08-20-2014, 03:52 AM

Ewing was playing for the Sonics and Magic in most of those matchups against Duncan. Are we really gonna count that?

rmt
08-20-2014, 04:05 AM
I wasnt basing on their careers but their skills as a player. Pretty obvious who takes it if careers are concerned

This is what I don't understand. Posters actually think that all there is to a player is their skills - no accounting for the intangibles: leadership, mental toughness, clutchness, competitiveness, bb iq, etc? Not saying that Duncan is short on skills, but for him, the TOTAL package is what makes him special.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 04:18 AM
This is what I don't understand. Posters actually think that all there is to a player is their skills - no accounting for the intangibles: leadership, mental toughness, clutchness, competitiveness, bb iq, etc? Not saying that Duncan is short on skills, but for him, the TOTAL package is what makes him special.

Saying "x player is better at y at this" never works for comparisons imo.

Round Mound said Ewing was the better scorer, but Duncan was the better Playoff scorer and far more efficient. Ewing is a slightly better regular season scorer. However, Duncan is a much, much better passer than Ewing.

I judge players on impact. Duncan did more things, and the things he was good at were more important than the things Ewing was good at. Duncan did have as many weaknesses either, especially not mental ones.

bizil
08-20-2014, 04:38 AM
I think what hurts Pat in comparison to guys like Hakeem, Kareem, Robinson, or Duncan is the fact that those three are more versatile. And plus they can defend the paint and rebound just as good. Numbers wise Pat is on their level. And defending the paint Pat is on their level. Even midrange shooting wise Pat is just as good. But its the SKILL part that separates a guy like Duncan. Duncan revolutionized the PF position combining a true dominant center's skillset with the new age versatility the PF's were showing. I don't know if many remember, but Pop ACTUALLY plaed Timmy at some SF in that Triple Towers attack with DRob at PF and Will Perdue at center.

And in comparison to guys like Shaq and Wilt, Ewing is a bit behind becasue those guys are the most physically dominant guys ever to play. U are talking guys over 7 feet tall and 300 pounds who are freak athletes yet very skilled on the block and passing the rock. So if Ewing falls behind certain centers, it's usually due to guys being a bit more skilled or more physically dominant. Numbers wise, Pat is actually on par with any center ever OR damn close!

AirFederer
08-20-2014, 04:41 AM
As much as I respect Ewing, the answer can only be Duncan here.

Reggie43
08-20-2014, 04:41 AM

Thats the problem with comparing players or teams across different eras, the strength of competition should be factored in also along with actual skills and numbers.

Fact of the matter is that Ewing faced better teams and all that intangibles wont matter if Duncan was losing to the same teams Ewing faced.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 04:47 AM
Thats the problem with comparing players or teams across different eras, the strength of competition should be factored in also along with actual skills and numbers.

Fact of the matter is that Ewing faced better teams and all that intangibles wont matter if Duncan was losing to the same teams Ewing faced.

Shaq/Kobe Lakers were better than any team Ewing faced other than Jordan's Bulls. Duncan beat them twice - once if you want to Kobe wasn't in his prime in 99.

rmt
08-20-2014, 04:48 AM

As if anyone has control over who they play or face. You can only play who is in front of you. This era stuff doesn't fly - only what really happened. And how do you KNOW that Duncan would be losing to the same teams Ewing faced?

Reggie43
08-20-2014, 04:54 AM
As if anyone has control over who they play or face. You can only play who is in front of you. This era stuff doesn't fly - only what really happened. And how do you KNOW that Duncan would be losing to the same teams Ewing faced?

Isiah's Pistons, Jordan's Bulls, Hakeem's Rockets among others were some of the teams Ewing faced in the playoffs in his prime. Are those teams similar to the teams Duncan beat enroute to his rings?

rmt
08-20-2014, 05:23 AM
Isiah's Pistons, Jordan's Bulls, Hakeem's Rockets among others were some of the teams Ewing faced in the playoffs in his prime. Are those teams similar to the teams Duncan beat enroute to his rings?

I guess the 3peat Shaq/Kobe is chopped liver, and the West hasn't been brutal for the past 17 years. They should create some imaginary conference with stacked teams (less teams so therefore more stars/team) for Duncan to play against - not just whoever was in the league at the time.

dreamwarrior
08-20-2014, 05:48 AM
Ewing was playing for the Sonics and Magic in most of those matchups against Duncan. Are we really gonna count that?
I am only counting his games against rookie Duncan and the rest vs Robinson. Robinson was superior in their h2h and I consider Duncan to be better than Robinson.

Reggie43
08-20-2014, 05:55 AM
I guess the 3peat Shaq/Kobe is chopped liver, and the West hasn't been brutal for the past 17 years. They should create some imaginary conference with stacked teams (less teams so therefore more stars/team) for Duncan to play against - not just whoever was in the league at the time.

Aside from the Lakers who else? This is the reason that context is everything in these comparisons. Not every championship has the same weight.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 05:57 AM
Aside from the Lakers who else? This is the reason that context is everything in these comparisons. Not every championship has the same weight.

Dirk lead Mavs (better than the Hakeem Rockets where he was the lone great player), Pistons, Suns, more recently the Heat (though Duncan wasn't in his prime).

These are all teams Duncan beat. Did Pat ever beat Isiah's Pistons?

Reggie43
08-20-2014, 06:03 AM
I am only counting his games against rookie Duncan and the rest vs Robinson. Robinson was superior in their h2h and I consider Duncan to be better than Robinson.

They played one game and basically had the same stats, Duncan was much more efficient while Ewing had more points, rebounds and blocks. How is that "crushing" someone?

Dragic4Life
08-20-2014, 06:12 AM
Prime Ewing >>>>>>>>> Prime Duncan on offense no contest.

Prime Ewing > Prime Duncan on defense, it's close.

Overall Duncan has literally no case over Ewing.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Prime Ewing >>>>>>>>> Prime Duncan on offense no contest.

Prime Ewing > Prime Duncan on defense, it's close.

Overall Duncan has literally no case over Ewing.

Qualify that he's better on offense.

Did he score more in the Playoffs? No
Did he score more efficiently? No
Did he pass better? No
Did he grab more offensive rebounds? No

And Duncan has a higher PER. I thought you Bran stans used it to make his case for top three GOAT? How could he be when he constantly loses to a team lead by someone no better than Serge Ibaka? :oldlol:

Reggie43
08-20-2014, 06:16 AM
Dirk lead Mavs (better than the Hakeem Rockets where he was the lone great player), Pistons, Suns, more recently the Heat (though Duncan wasn't in his prime).

These are all teams Duncan beat. Did Pat ever beat Isiah's Pistons?

He did beat the Isiah Pistons upon research along with Zo, Hardaway Heat and Miller, Smits Pacers and even Birds Celtics with Bird, Mchale and Lewis putting up prime numbers in a losing effort.

Dragic4Life
08-20-2014, 06:19 AM
Qualify that he's better on offense.

Did he score more in the Playoffs? YES
Did he score more efficiently? YES
Did he pass better? YES
Did he grab more offensive rebounds? YES
Fixed.

Ewing is far more valuable to his team in the playoffs than Duncan is to his.

Lol give Ewing coach Pop, prime Manu, prime Parker and Drob and they 5-peat easily.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 06:22 AM
Fixed.

Ewing is far more valuable to his team in the playoffs than Duncan is to his.

Lol give Ewing coach Pop, prime Manu, prime Parker and Drob and they 5-peat easily.

You do realise all those things, other than passing, are qualified by stats -- which are facts? And the facts show Duncan is better at all of them. :facepalm

Ewing got outperformed by John Starks and Derek Harper in his only Finals appearance. Now he's 5-peating. :roll:

Big#50
08-20-2014, 11:14 AM
Duncan did everything better. Duncan should only be compared to KAJ. He left Shaq, Hakeem and the rest behind two seasons ago.

Stringer Bell
08-20-2014, 11:56 AM
Ewing's teams did have to compete with those Jordan-led Bulls teams, losing to them 5 times in 8 years. The Knicks did have HCA twice and was supposed to win in 89'.

Then again, Duncan's Spurs didn't exactly have easy opposition either. The West was deep. Of course you have the Lakers with Shaq (arguably the greatest center since Kareem) and Kobe (consensus choice as the 2nd best SG ever), along with other strong teams in the West. Duncan led a so-so supporting cast over the Lakers in 2003 in one of the best postseason runs ever.

Duncan is/was the better player and easily ranks higher all-time.

Stringer Bell
08-20-2014, 12:02 PM
Interesting point...maybe Pat takes a back seat to LeBron here.

Both were very bad, but Lebron's 2011 was probably worse than Ewing's 1994 Finals.

Both were very winnable series though for the Knicks and Heat, with both Ewing and Lebron's poor performances being very crucial in the defeats.

The Knicks lost games 3 and 6 by very close margins, games in which Ewing shot horribly. The Heat lost games 2 and 4 by very close margins, with Lebron having one of the worst games of his career in game 4. Game 5 was close until the end too. Lebron again underperformed.

ImKobe
08-20-2014, 12:05 PM
Duncan did everything better. Duncan should only be compared to KAJ. He left Shaq, Hakeem and the rest behind two seasons ago.

The only thing Duncan has on Shaq is longetivity. He has the luxury of playing 28-30 minutes a game in the regular season. The Spurs are built like an European team with every rotation player playing a vital role.

Peak Shaq shits all over Duncan.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 12:17 PM
The only thing Duncan has on Shaq is longetivity. He has the luxury of playing 28-30 minutes a game in the regular season. The Spurs are built like an European team with every rotation player playing a vital role.

Duncan from ages 28-37: 31.8 MPG

Shaq from ages 28-37: 32.1 MPG

Those .3 minutes are a real afforded luxury.

Oh, and Duncan also happens to have defense -- 50% of the game -- and intangibles over Shaq, not to mention accolades and success.

Good job at getting everything wrong. :applause:

The whole Kobe/Shaq/Duncan argument never balances out. I'm sure you have both over Duncan, yet they needed each other -- plus the already established GOAT coach to win rings. Duncan won with aging vets and a couple of second string stars, with a coach who was almost fired and had done nothing as a coach before Duncan, though he grew into being the best in the world.

SCdac
08-20-2014, 12:18 PM
Eh, Duncan beat Shaq a few times in championship runs, putting up amazing numbers and putting the Spurs on his back. They (Duncan and Shaq) were definitely worthy foes, with each of them getting the better of each other a few times. Would take Duncan over jump shooting Ewing in a heartbeat, and Duncan vs. Shaq is a better debate.

HurricaneKid
08-20-2014, 12:26 PM
Any answer to this question gives credence to the question having any merit in any way. It doesn't.

Ewing, despite playing in NYC, was never even 1st team All-NBA. He was never the best C in the league. Meanwhile, TD was the best PLAYER in the league multiple seasons.

Stringer Bell
08-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Any answer to this question gives credence to the question having any merit in any way. It doesn't.

Ewing, despite playing in NYC, was never even 1st team All-NBA. He was never the best C in the league. Meanwhile, TD was the best PLAYER in the league multiple seasons.

Ewing was 1st-team All-NBA in 1989-90. He was 2nd team All-NBA 6 times. No shame in not finishing ahead of centers like Hakeem, D-Rob, Shaq.

But yeah, Duncan was better regardless. Pretty easy choice.

Legends66NBA7
08-20-2014, 01:00 PM
Ewing, despite playing in NYC, was never even 1st team All-NBA.

He was 1st team in 89/90.

robert_shaww
08-20-2014, 01:55 PM
Duncan from ages 28-37: 31.8 MPG

Shaq from ages 28-37: 32.1 MPG

Those .3 minutes are a real afforded luxury.

Oh, and Duncan also happens to have defense -- 50% of the game -- and intangibles over Shaq, not to mention accolades and success.

Good job at getting everything wrong. :applause:

The whole Kobe/Shaq/Duncan argument never balances out. I'm sure you have both over Duncan, yet they needed each other -- plus the already established GOAT coach to win rings. Duncan won with aging vets and a couple of second string stars, with a coach who was almost fired and had done nothing as a coach before Duncan, though he grew into being the best in the world.

T_L_P, the only idiot in the forum that says peak shaq isnt better than peak duncan...:facepalm

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 02:20 PM
T_L_P, the only idiot in the forum that says peak shaq isnt better than peak duncan...:facepalm

He is. When did I say otherwise?

Big#50
08-20-2014, 02:38 PM

The only thing Shaq has over Duncan is having a top 7 player ever and a top 20 player ever putting in work.