PDA

View Full Version : I Have Lost Interest In Video Games

DwnShft2Xcelr8
08-19-2014, 06:15 PM
It only started some time in early 2014. I tried getting into NBA 2K14 but just couldn't do it for extended periods of time.
A part of me feels sad because it seems like my mind has moved on and grown up quicker than my emotions... If that makes any sense. I don't want to be over video games, but I just can't stay interested any longer.
Video games used to help me drift away from reality. I was Niko Bellic, I was John Marston, I was Ezio Auditore. Now I find myself reading novels, which is actually a good thing, but at the same time I feel like I've lost interest in games at the wrong time.
Just when the next gen of game consoles have come out, I'm already over it. Just when video games are looking more realistic, I'm over it. Just when.. Well, you get the point.
Anyone else feel the same way? Or am I the only one?

I might buy some new games later on, but as of right now, I just don't see a point anymore.

BoogieWoogieMan
08-19-2014, 06:18 PM
https://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lsn44aqpu51qznsg8o1_500.gif

http://i811.photobucket.com/albums/zz38/caghain/barneylast.gif

outbreak
08-19-2014, 06:45 PM
I was off gaming until this year. Picked up a 3ds and played through all the interesting games from the ds era and some of the better 3ds ones. Easily one of the most enjoyable periods of gaming I've had in the last few years. So many good games that are totally different from what I had been sick of on pc, 360 and ps3 at that point.

BasedTom
08-19-2014, 06:47 PM
The videogame industry went to shit.

Or maybe it's always been that way and I've just realized this now

sweggeh
08-19-2014, 07:34 PM
You have finally grown up. Rejoice. Not every man reaches this level. Some are destined to be nerdy virgins forever and ever. Not you. You are a man.

Godzuki
08-19-2014, 07:54 PM
same. but it started when i quit weed. i know if i still smoked i'd still game some.

its a shame since i have tons of Steam games i never even got to. i've tried to play some but i have so little motivation for it, i'd rather watch a movie or just go to bed most of the time, or both.

red1
08-19-2014, 08:07 PM
just copped a ps4 and it is too ill. sucks to be you bro

J.101
08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
just copped a ps4 and it is too ill. sucks to be you bro

I got a ps4 end of last year only got 2k14 tho and after couple of seasons of my career/my team on over it what good games are out on ps4 these days? I'm waiting on Fifa 15 and might get 2k15 too

red1
08-19-2014, 09:18 PM
I got a ps4 end of last year only got 2k14 tho and after couple of seasons of my career/my team on over it what good games are out on ps4 these days? I'm waiting on Fifa 15 and might get 2k15 too
watch dogs and last of us remastered

DwnShft2Xcelr8
08-19-2014, 09:19 PM
I used to be very into video games. Now I'm into board games. No need for extra electrical bills yall! :pimp:

Board games ftw.
Scrabble is my shit. I wreck on my family and friends so much that nobody wants to play me anymore.

Heavincent
08-19-2014, 09:27 PM
last of us remastered

:applause:

Micku
08-19-2014, 09:59 PM
Just after a good year in gaming last year too, huh? TLoU, GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Kuni no Ni?

There are still some awesome games coming out this year, but the main ones I'm looking forward to are Super Smash Bros. and Dragon Age: Inquisition. Next year is the year I'm looking forward to more tho. Metal Gear Solid 5, more info about the new Silent Hill game, Xenoblade Choronicles X, Uncharted 4, Mighty No. 9 (dat Megaman spiritual sequel), Batman game, perhaps Zelda comes out that year as well and a bunch of other games. Probably not as big as 2013 year, but it's gonn'a be fun.

Anyway, it depends on what type of games you like to play. This year isn't as a big of a year as last year yet. Destiny is gonn'a come out this year and Fry Cry 4 if you like FPS. If you like RPGs, then Dragon Age Inquisition or Pokemon.

If none of this stuff is interesting to you, then wait till next year or play some awesome old games.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
08-19-2014, 10:12 PM
Just after a good year in gaming last year too, huh? TLoU, GTA5, Bioshock Infinite, Kuni no Ni?
I played all those games, except for Kuni No Ni. Really loved TLoU & GTA V. Bioshock was fun but it's lacking in replayability imo.

I'm sure once the PS4 brings out better games, I'll buy them, but I'm just losing interest like crazy. Maybe I'm in the same boat as Godzuki. I feel like the mass majority of my loss in interest occurred after quitting smoking weed, although I only quit back in early July but hadn't played a game since possibly February.

fpliii
08-19-2014, 10:16 PM
Same thing happened to me a few years ago with television and movies. Can't sit through anything except the news and sports at this point.

JohnFreeman
08-19-2014, 10:17 PM
Welcome to being an adult

Heavincent
08-19-2014, 10:21 PM
Welcome to being an adult

Um, you do know that most people who play video games are adults, right?

JohnFreeman
08-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Most guys who exit their teens lose interest in games

Heavincent
08-19-2014, 10:28 PM
Most guys who exit their teens lose interest in games

Then why is the average gamer 35 years old with a job and family?

No offense, but you don't really have a clue.

Heavincent
08-19-2014, 10:29 PM
Why is playing video games even considered kid shit but watching television shows and films isn't necessarily?

Because people are stupid.

BrownEye007
08-19-2014, 10:30 PM
I've lost a lot of interest in video games ever since like 3 years ago when I started smoking weed. I'll go months at a time where I don't play at all except for the very occasional game of 2k, and then I'll go a few weeks of playing a bunch of games (have a bunch I haven't even put in yet) but lose interest pretty quickly again. I actually just quit smoking bud a few days ago so I can get a new job so we'll see if I regain interest once again.

JohnFreeman
08-19-2014, 10:30 PM
Then why is the average gamer 35 years old with a job and family?

No offense, but you don't really have a clue.
Let me guess, a survey out of 1000 homes in USA? I don't know any 35 year olds who game

DaSeba5
08-19-2014, 10:34 PM
Let me guess, a survey out of 1000 homes in USA? I don't know any 35 year olds who game

No he's right and I know many people 35 and up who play video games. Most gamers are adults. My dad plays video games and he's 46. Anyone born in the late 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s is probably going to have video games in their lives at some point. Most of the adult games I know grew up with the NES and Atari, and still play games.

Heavincent
08-19-2014, 10:35 PM

Pretty much any survey on the internet has the average age at around 30. Can you show me any evidence that says otherwise?

DaSeba5
08-19-2014, 10:37 PM
I don't see how you could lose interest in video games. It would be like losing interest in movies and shows, and I doubt that's possible for anyone in this day in age. Video games are very similar forms of media; they are just interactive. And with next year having the potential to be one of the best years in gaming, it's the worst possible time to lose interest. But if you can't make the time for it and you are committed to work and family, and don't have any free time, then that's fine.

Godzuki
08-19-2014, 10:38 PM
I've lost a lot of interest in video games ever since like 3 years ago when I started smoking weed. I'll go months at a time where I don't play at all except for the very occasional game of 2k, and then I'll go a few weeks of playing a bunch of games (have a bunch I haven't even put in yet) but lose interest pretty quickly again. I actually just quit smoking bud a few days ago so I can get a new job so we'll see if I regain interest once again.

:wtf:

weed makes video games, just like movies, a million times better. i don't even think thats questioned by most people....well unless they're playing super serious e sports kind of shit.

otherwise the zone in is on another level than normalcy.

BasedTom
08-19-2014, 10:38 PM
I have a massive collection of games that I've bought over the years that mostly collects dust these days. There's tons of quality stuff that I could be playing, but when I actually do...it feels almost like a chore or a job.

I guess when I was a kid and thought that the possibilities were endless I was much more excited. Now that I more or less know what to expect, the magic is gone.

Micku
08-19-2014, 10:39 PM

A study was done by the Entertainment Software Association that: "As of 2013, the average age for a video game player is 30, a number slowly increasing as people who were children playing the first arcade, console and home computer games continue playing now on current systems."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_culture

Plus in the 90s, there were some games tackled on some cool themes. Religion, genes and genetic experiments, theological concepts, psychology themes, and nuke warnings. I wouldn't say it's any less than any other forms of entertainment out there. Games could target a bunch of demographics.

You could have a game like Minecraft that could be for everyone, then a game like Xenogears, Planescape Torment, Bioshock or Metal Gear with awesome complex and epic plots, and sports games. It's like TV shows, novels or movies now. You could have mindless fun with them or have a game that makes you think.

BasedTom
08-19-2014, 10:47 PM
I don't see how you could lose interest in video games. It would be like losing interest in movies and shows, and I doubt that's possible for anyone in this day in age. Video games are very similar forms of media; they are just interactive. And with next year having the potential to be one of the best years in gaming, it's the worst possible time to lose interest. But if you can't make the time for it and you are committed to work and family, and don't have any free time, then that's fine.
I wish I could feel that way, but I'm not optimistic about the future of gaming at all. Games seem watered down and have less of a focus on gameplay and story and are instead churned out annually to sell as many copies as possible. At all the conferences, it seems like they talk more about how they're adding Facebook integration and somewhat pointless stuff instead pushing the limits of the medium.

At least with music and other stuff, there's always that artistic scene that doesn't give a shit about mainstream appeal. But even "indie" games usually don't bring anything new to the table.

2006 was 8 years ago. Compare the leaps in technology from 1998 to 2006 to the progress between 2006 and 2014. As much as I want to believe, more often than not, I'm only disappointed.

yes I was that kid growing up who thought that we'd be using jetpacks by now

JohnFreeman
08-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I admit I am wrong

Micku
08-19-2014, 10:55 PM
I admit I am wrong

That's big of you man. :cheers:

Milbuck
08-19-2014, 10:58 PM
same. but it started when i quit weed.

This..

DaSeba5
08-19-2014, 11:00 PM
I wish I could feel that way, but I'm not optimistic about the future of gaming at all. Games seem watered down and have less of a focus on gameplay and story and are instead churned out annually to sell as many copies as possible. At all the conferences, it seems like they talk more about how they're adding Facebook integration and somewhat pointless stuff instead pushing the limits of the medium.

At least with music and other stuff, there's always that artistic scene that doesn't give a shit about mainstream appeal. But even "indie" games usually don't bring anything new to the table.

2006 was 8 years ago. Compare the leaps in technology from 1998 to 2006 to the progress between 2006 and 2014. As much as I want to believe, more often than not, I'm only disappointed.

yes I was that kid growing up who thought that we'd be using jetpacks by now

That basically sums up all forms of media nowadays. There's more focus on money because they are bigger than they've ever been before. Movies are making billions of dollars. Shows are breaking records in ratings and people have a ton of access to shows on Netflix and online. Video games are one of the fastest growing industries in the world, and as technology improves, so will the future of how we play games.

People do not like change. Gaming companies release similar games because new original games don't sell. As much as people complain about originality, they don't sell as well as the next Madden, Call of Duty, Mario platformer, ect.
Same with movies. Most movies are reboots, remakes, sequels, prequels, adaptations, and so on. Why do you think there is four Transformer movies now? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

They appeal to general masses to make money. Most people don't like complicated and new things that make them think and change their routine. People like simple. The best made movies, shows, and games tend to aim for both.

I've played too many fresh new games that that felt new and original (and if it not the story and characters was unique enough to be original) to say the gaming industry is going downhill. Same thing with music. For all the bad artists, there's always plenty of good artists out there. Same with movies. Same with shows. I play both original and not so original games. For every Smash Bros, there's a new fresh Mario game that is new and original like Sunshine Mario and Mario Galaxy. For every Call of Duty, there's a Telltale game like the Walking Dead and Wolf Among Us that's new, or a game like Fez. And so on.

DwnShft2Xcelr8
08-19-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't see how you could lose interest in video games. It would be like losing interest in movies and shows, and I doubt that's possible for anyone in this day in age.

I guess I'm making the impossible possible.
I don't watch TV anymore unless it's news or sports (or new The Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad episodes); I haven't watched a new movie this entire year; I haven't watched a movie on TV in a very long time.
All I do these days is eat, sleep, exercise, surf online, listen to news talk radio and read novels. I might as well be living in the 1940's... Assuming the '40s had the interwebz.

DaSeba5
08-19-2014, 11:30 PM
I guess I'm making the impossible possible.
I don't watch TV anymore unless it's news or sports (or new The Simpsons/Family Guy/American Dad episodes); I haven't watched a new movie this entire year; I haven't watched a movie on TV in a very long time.
All I do these days is eat, sleep, exercise, surf online, listen to news talk radio and read novels. I might as well be living in the 1940's... Assuming the '40s had the interwebz.

You still find the time to watch TV though even if it's just sports and some cartoons, although I was being general. While it seems like everyone has a TV, I'm sure there's plenty of people who don't watch TV at all. Either way, I work, I go to college full-time, and I do plenty of normal 21 year old things, and I still find time to play games. And I'm an English major and somebody who likes to read, so I read a lot because I have to and because I like to. I live in South FL and my job is really easy (I work at a pool), so I basically can go to the pool or beach on my free time and just relax and read. It's one of my favorite hobbies.

My point is there's always time to play games if you manage your time. I have a very busy schedule and I still play a lot of games and watch a good amount of TV. I do go out and do normal social things like a person my age does, but I don't like to go out all of the time. If it's not your thing to play games and you prefer to do other things, then that's perfectly fine. Although I'm only 21 and don't have a family or responsibilities like that to take care of so I may not have the time in that case. But even then I know people who play a lot of games with families.

I guess the answer is just do what you want, but I don't think you are getting too old for games. You just like to do other things. You have other hobbies that take up your time, and you go through a phase where you don't care for games.

Games burn me out too at times. Some times I have no clue what to play, but eventually I get over this and play them again. Maybe you just need a break and should try to play them again later.

outbreak
08-19-2014, 11:57 PM
I find it funny when people tell me they don't have time for video games then tell me how they spent their entire weekend watching a marathon of tv shows/movies. That's not not having time, that's having the time but choosing to fill it with another interest.

BrownEye007
08-20-2014, 12:20 AM
:wtf:

weed makes video games, just like movies, a million times better. i don't even think thats questioned by most people....well unless they're playing super serious e sports kind of shit.

otherwise the zone in is on another level than normalcy.
I'm not arguing this. I didn't lose interest because of weed so much as I just started to enjoy doing other things when I started smoking. (ok it was mostly either sitting around talking to people or watching t.v.) but that exactly why I might regain some interest now that I'm sober. I'll still talk to people of course but t.v. is boring to me sober for the most part. Gotta fill that time with something.

tomtucker
08-20-2014, 02:53 AM
it

TheMan
08-20-2014, 03:36 AM
No he's right and I know many people 35 and up who play video games. Most gamers are adults. My dad plays video games and he's 46. Anyone born in the late 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s is probably going to have video games in their lives at some point. Most of the adult games I know grew up with the NES and Atari, and still play games.
You're right, I grew up on Atari, lost interest in my 20's then started up again when the first Playstation came out and have been hooked since. I'm waiting for more FPS games to come out before I get the PS4 so I've been on my PS3 and I still love it.

fiddy
08-20-2014, 03:46 AM
This..
Havent smoked for couple of weeks (my system i THC clean) my interest for games didnt die but my focus shifted to more "grown man" management games like civilization 5 (fvcking addictive), industry giant 2 (from the good old days) and so on

kNIOKAS
08-20-2014, 07:12 AM
Try Starcraft