PDA

View Full Version : How "weak" is this era in terms of superstars?

moe94
08-19-2014, 08:31 PM
List the players from 90-99 and 00-09 that would be top 3 players today, at minimum. That is to say that they're CLEARLY ahead of all players not named Durant/LeBron as those two are seen to be in a tier alone.

Jameerthefear
08-19-2014, 08:33 PM
Another shit thread from you. Keep it up and you're on my ignore list.

GODbe
08-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Only player I can think of his Godbe in terms of being up there with Durant. 90s were way too weak to just assume a top player back then would be as good today even in their prime.

Fudge
08-19-2014, 08:41 PM
moe we waitin on your response...

moe94
08-19-2014, 08:42 PM
moe we waitin on your response...

Earl looking like the lightskin

http://www.2acheck.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/looter-heineken-guy.jpg

Smook A.
08-19-2014, 08:44 PM
1990-1999
Michael Jordan
Hakeem Olajuwon
Karl Malone
Patrick Ewing
David Robinson
Charles Barkley
Clyde Drexler
Shaquille O'Neal
Grant Hill
Scottie Pippen

2000-2009
Kobe Bryant
Shaquille O'Neal
Tim Duncan
Dwyane Wade
Tracy McGrady
Kevin Garnett
Allen Iverson
Dirk Nowitzki

Milbuck
08-19-2014, 08:46 PM
Clearly better than anyone aside from Lebron/Durant? In their primes..

90-99: MJ, Shaq, Hakeem, Robinson, Ewing, Barkley, Malone

00-09: Shaq, Kobe, Duncan, KG, Dirk, T-Mac, Wade

CelticBalla32
08-19-2014, 08:59 PM
I don't think anyone disputes the greatness of LeBron & Durant. I think after those two, though, 2014 is incomparable to the decades prior.

The top 2 are in "top 10 elite" discussion in any era. But #3-10 is on a lower level than before.

LakersDaBEst
08-19-2014, 09:02 PM
horrible poster with so many green. Shame

MMM
08-19-2014, 09:12 PM

Why T-Mac over Pierce. I'm a Celtics fan so maybe I'm biased but outside of 1 or 2 seasons I always felt Pierce was better. Do people have T-Mac ahead just because his peak was better although brief.

Soundwave
08-19-2014, 09:14 PM
A prime David Robinson would've put up 30/13 last year and won MVP IMO.

Straight_Ballin
08-19-2014, 09:15 PM
List the players from 90-99 and 00-09 that would be top 3 players today, at minimum. That is to say that they're CLEARLY ahead of all players not named Durant/LeBron as those two are seen to be in a tier alone.

Seeing as how Durant/LeBron are inferior to at least 5 players from 90-99 and 00-09, a list of 3 that is clearly ahead of today's watered down joke of a league isn't even needed.

Good gimick attempt tho.

Straight_Ballin
08-19-2014, 09:15 PM
A prime David Robinson would've put up 30/13 last year and won MVP IMO.

And it's not even debatable also.

KBaller33
08-19-2014, 09:16 PM
What's with the constant bashing of this era?

MMM
08-19-2014, 09:18 PM
After bron/kd give me Cwebb and Nash including the notables

Think an argument can be made for guys like kidd, Pierce, JO, GP, Stockton, etc
Some stronger than others

Straight_Ballin
08-19-2014, 09:20 PM
What's with the constant basking of this era?

Those that have seen other era's use the eye test to know that it is inferior, which it is. No one want's it to be inferior, as we are all fans of the game, but sometimes something just is what it is and it has to be excepted no matter how bad you want it to not be true.

moe94
08-19-2014, 09:21 PM
Those that have seen other era's use the eye test to know that it is inferior, which it is. No one want's it to be inferior, as we are all fans of the game, but sometimes something just is what it is and it has to be excepted no matter how bad you want it to not be true.

Eye test...:oldlol:

Milbuck
08-19-2014, 09:23 PM
Why T-Mac over Pierce. I'm a Celtics fan so maybe I'm biased but outside of 1 or 2 seasons I always felt Pierce was better. Do people have T-Mac ahead just because his peak was better although brief.
Career-wise, I have Pierce over T-Mac without question. The ring/FMVP, longevity, and legacy as a Celtics great puts him there. But I just think 2003 peak T-Mac was a notch above PP at his best. I'd have 2003 T-Mac as the 3rd, maybe 2nd best player in the league if he played today..personally can't say the same about peak PP. Peak Pierce is top 10 for sure, then it gets debatable..

KBaller33
08-19-2014, 09:23 PM

I guess. I'm sort of young so I don't know everything. You're probably right.

MMM
08-19-2014, 09:30 PM
Career-wise, I have Pierce over T-Mac without question. The ring/FMVP, longevity, and legacy as a Celtics great puts him there. But I just think 2003 peak T-Mac was a notch above PP at his best. I'd have 2003 T-Mac as the 3rd, maybe 2nd best player in the league if he played today..personally can't say the same about peak PP. Peak Pierce is top 10 for sure, then it gets debatable..

Fair enough sort of figured that but I just remembered hating how T-Mac played those one or two seasons. Felt he was better when he showed off his play making skills consistently. When healthy in Hou I felt he was better but it makes sense looking back at some of those Orlando rosters as to why he had to play that style.

MMM
08-19-2014, 09:33 PM
PG is a top 5 player in this league but I don't really feel he's better than Artest or its marginal at best yet I can't recall Artest being a top 10 player much less a top5 one.

08-19-2014, 09:42 PM
If current era is weak in terms of superstars then it would be a blessing in disguise.

Basketball is a team sport and the spurs winning it all this year is a great win.

AnaheimLakers24
08-19-2014, 09:46 PM
baby dick bran won asterik rings in the weakest era, he even colluded cause he had a small dick

Young X
08-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Compare last season to:

MJ
Magic
Bird
Barkley
Ewing
Hakeem
Malone
Wilkins
Robinson
Drexler
KJ
Thomas
Stockton
Hardaway
McHale
Miller
Price
Mullin
Worthy

Not even close. Damn near every player on this list would be an arguable top 5 player now. What a weak era for stars.

AnaheimLakers24
08-19-2014, 09:50 PM
If current era is weak in terms of superstars then it would be a blessing in disguise.

Basketball is a team sport and the spurs winning it all this year is a great win.
what a gay ass cliche. spurs are still boring. why do you think no one even cared about them winning? more people were talking about heat losing.

moe94
08-19-2014, 09:55 PM
PG is a top 5 player in this league but I don't really feel he's better than Artest or its marginal at best yet I can't recall Artest being a top 10 player much less a top5 one.

LeBron
Durant
Blake
Paul
Westbrook
Howard
Melo
Love

PG isn't top 5 but I understand your point.

Noob Saibot
08-19-2014, 09:58 PM
its pretty bad if you're top shooting guards are James Harden and Paul George. and your centers are Dwight Howard, Roy Hibbert, Demarcus Cousins, and LaMarcus Aldridge (though he's actually has skills).

JohnFreeman
08-19-2014, 09:59 PM
:roll:

oarabbus
08-19-2014, 10:15 PM
Seeing as how Durant/LeBron are inferior to at least 5 players from 90-99 and 00-09, a list of 3 that is clearly ahead of today's watered down joke of a league isn't even needed.

Good gimick attempt tho.

:roll: you are really that stupid, huh?

People really think the following players would have problems in the 90s?

-Dwight
-Wade
-Griffin
-Love
-Paul George
-Carmelo
-Prime CP3
-Prime Amar'e Stoudemire
-Westbrook
-Matrix
-The Brow

Also, if you're comparing 90-99 and 00-09 to '10-'14... you're a fool. You're comparing entire decades to less than half of the current one. The strongest draft class in YEARS just entered the NBA so you need to wait till 2019 to compare :hammerhead:

Milbuck
08-19-2014, 10:19 PM
baby dick bran
he had a small dick
So much projecting.

Young X
08-19-2014, 10:25 PM
People really think the following players would have problems in the 90s?

-Dwight
-Wade
-Griffin
-Love
-Paul George
-Carmelo
-Prime CP3
-Prime Amar'e Stoudemire
-Westbrook
-Matrix
-The BrowNone of those players with the exception of maybe KD would be top 5 in 1990. Most of them wouldn't even be top 10 or 15.

deja vu
08-19-2014, 10:47 PM
Only LeBron and Durant would be top 10 players in the 90s.

LongLiveTheKing
08-19-2014, 10:48 PM
Players from the 90s get so overrated.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-20-2014, 01:06 AM
The 2010s is on the 60s level

80s, 90s and 00s>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

kurple
08-20-2014, 07:17 AM

where is iverson?

Bigsmoke
08-20-2014, 09:17 AM
If ISH still alive in 2030, we will be here like "2010's was the golden era"

BoutPractice
08-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Not as "weak" as you'd think.

Greatness is often confirmed by:
- a remarkable prime
- remarkable longevity (all-star selections, MVP votes, etc. over a long period)

After Durant and LeBron, you have CP3, an all-time great point guard whose prime isn't over (if he ever adds a championship to his resume people other than statheads will start arguing if he's the second/third best PG ever). Dwight is a first ballot HOFer and his prime hasn't ended. Tony Parker is another all-time great rarely mentioned in lists who may still add significantly to his resume, and will become revered once he retires. Same with Carmelo. Wade and especially Bosh aren't completely done and may experience an individual resurgence.

But most importantly, we haven't yet seen the prime and longevity of Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Paul George, Stephen Curry, Kyrie Irving, John Wall etc.... Who is going to put together an MVP caliber season? Who is going to outlast them all and change the narrative around them?

Add to that the 2014 draft (they're nothing right now but people will use them in the future to say so and so played against Wiggins/Parker/Embiid/whoever), and the stars that may erupt next year, and the NBA is in great shape. As it is most of the time.

Let's not forget that back in the early 00s, few were predicting that Dirk and KG would end up with a case for top 20 in the history of the game (instead they would have talked about TMac, Vince Carter, and Allen Iverson). Their historical greatness made itself obvious with time... DWade was in no one's radar as a future HOFer when he was first drafted, as all eyes were on LeBron and Melo. And Kevin Durant himself was typecast as a future "high scoring SF whose teams don't go anywhere" rather than a potential future multiple champion. That was why people preferred Oden... they thought Oden was a "winner" versus Durant the "scorer".

aj1987
08-20-2014, 09:42 AM
None of those players with the exception of maybe KD would be top 5 in 1990. Most of them wouldn't even be top 10 or 15.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3427/3355111914_62d3056712.jpg

Trollsmasher
08-20-2014, 09:46 AM
I agree. It was much easier for single players to be stars in the '90s than it is today.

That's why '90s are the weakest era since '50. Current players should be ranked higher based on this fact.

CelticBalla32
08-20-2014, 11:59 AM
I agree. It was much easier for single players to be stars in the '90s than it is today.

That's why '90s are the weakest era since '50. Current players should be ranked higher based on this fact.

90s is a weak era? :biggums:

Michael Jordan - Charles Barkley - Hakeem Olajuwon - David Robinson - Patrick Ewing - Karl Malone - John Stockton - Clyde Drexler - Scottie Pippen - Grant Hill - Gary Payton - Shawn Kemp - Dennis Rodman - Penny Hardaway - Tim Hardaway - Alonzo Mourning - Glen Rice - Chris Mullin - Mitch Richmond - Reggie Miller - Dikembe Mutombo - etc.

Yeah, so weak.

Mid-to-Late 90s Marked Beginnings Of: Tim Duncan - Kevin Garnett - Allen Iverson - Kobe Bryant - Tracy McGrady -Ray Allen - Steve Nash - Jason Kidd - etc.

Were you one of those people upset that the Bulls three-peated twice? They created a dynasty and they had a great rivalry with the Knicks along the way.

The 90s are one of the heights of basketball in terms of talent, captivating postseason play and fan interest. You don't have to like anyone from that era, but to call them "weak" is just ignorant. The 80s and 90s was the undisputed peak of NBA basketball and 90s produced some of the best players of all-time in their prime, including the GOAT, at each position.

ZMonkey11
08-20-2014, 12:27 PM
Not as "weak" as you'd think.

Greatness is often confirmed by:
- a remarkable prime
- remarkable longevity (all-star selections, MVP votes, etc. over a long period)

After Durant and LeBron, you have CP3, an all-time great point guard whose prime isn't over (if he ever adds a championship to his resume people other than statheads will start arguing if he's the second/third best PG ever). Dwight is a first ballot HOFer and his prime hasn't ended. Tony Parker is another all-time great rarely mentioned in lists who may still add significantly to his resume, and will become revered once he retires. Same with Carmelo. Wade and especially Bosh aren't completely done and may experience an individual resurgence.

But most importantly, we haven't yet seen the prime and longevity of Kevin Love, Russell Westbrook, Blake Griffin, James Harden, Anthony Davis, Paul George, Stephen Curry, Kyrie Irving, John Wall etc.... Who is going to put together an MVP caliber season? Who is going to outlast them all and change the narrative around them?

Add to that the 2014 draft (they're nothing right now but people will use them in the future to say so and so played against Wiggins/Parker/Embiid/whoever), and the stars that may erupt next year, and the NBA is in great shape. As it is most of the time.

Let's not forget that back in the early 00s, few were predicting that Dirk and KG would end up with a case for top 20 in the history of the game (instead they would have talked about TMac, Vince Carter, and Allen Iverson). Their historical greatness made itself obvious with time... DWade was in no one's radar as a future HOFer when he was first drafted, as all eyes were on LeBron and Melo. And Kevin Durant himself was typecast as a future "high scoring SF whose teams don't go anywhere" rather than a potential future multiple champion. That was why people preferred Oden... they thought Oden was a "winner" versus Durant the "scorer".

:applause: :applause: :bowdown: this was most excellent

Frozen1
08-20-2014, 12:49 PM
The 08-09 kobe, lebron and wade would still be the top 3 players today.

Prometheus
08-20-2014, 12:55 PM

Good gimick attempt tho.

:facepalm

Jordan and Shaq are the only ones who, at their peaks were without a doubt superior to both LeBron and Durant. McGrady, Olajuwon, Duncan, Kobe, Robinson... all of these guys at their best would be on the level with LBJ and KD but absolutely not "superior".

MiseryCityTexas
08-20-2014, 01:21 PM

I know an absolute prime Vin Baker would at least be better than Serge Ibaka.

Trollsmasher
08-20-2014, 01:22 PM
90s is a weak era? :biggums:

Michael Jordan - Charles Barkley - Hakeem Olajuwon - David Robinson - Patrick Ewing - Karl Malone - John Stockton - Clyde Drexler - Scottie Pippen - Grant Hill - Gary Payton - Shawn Kemp - Dennis Rodman - Penny Hardaway - Tim Hardaway - Alonzo Mourning - Glen Rice - Chris Mullin - Mitch Richmond - Reggie Miller - Dikembe Mutombo - etc.

Yeah, so weak.

Mid-to-Late 90s Marked Beginnings Of: Tim Duncan - Kevin Garnett - Allen Iverson - Kobe Bryant - Tracy McGrady -Ray Allen - Steve Nash - Jason Kidd - etc.

Were you one of those people upset that the Bulls three-peated twice? They created a dynasty and they had a great rivalry with the Knicks along the way.

The 90s are one of the heights of basketball in terms of talent, captivating postseason play and fan interest. You don't have to like anyone from that era, but to call them "weak" is just ignorant. The 80s and 90s was the undisputed peak of NBA basketball and 90s produced some of the best players of all-time in their prime, including the GOAT, at each position.
Those players simply exposed the star-friendly enviroment created by Stern for Jordan. Half of them would be forgettable if they played today. You have to be a real star today to stick out, not a manufactured '90s boy.

MiseryCityTexas
08-20-2014, 01:29 PM

Jordan and Shaq are the only ones who, at their peaks were without a doubt superior to both LeBron and Durant. McGrady, Olajuwon, Duncan, Kobe, Robinson... all of these guys at their best would be on the level with LBJ and KD but absolutely not "superior".

please shut the **** up. Duncan and Olajuwon would both be superior to KD and Lebron. Duncan has 5 Championships to Lebron's two, and Olajuwon won championships with career role players, a washed up all star, and useless absolute bums like tim breax, scotty brooks, charles jones, Eric Riley and zan tabak while Lebron has to switch to a team that already had franchise players on it to win.

Dragic4Life
08-20-2014, 01:31 PM
weak? try superior.

Young X
08-20-2014, 01:33 PM
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3427/3355111914_62d3056712.jpg:lol

Name the players playing now that would be top 10 in 1990. I'll wait.

There's at least 15 players from back then that would be arguable top 5 if they played today.

Dragic4Life
08-20-2014, 01:35 PM
:lol

There's at least 15 players from back then that would be arguable top 5 if they played today.
Lebron James and Russell Westbrook would COMFORTABLY be in the top 10/5 in the 90s with their far superior athleticism.

Young X
08-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Lebron James and Russell Westbrook would COMFORTABLY be in the top 10/5 in the 90s with their far superior athleticism.Westbrook? :lol

MJ
Magic
Bird
Barkley
Ewing
Malone
Hakeem
Robinson
Wilkins
Drexler
KJ

All better than Westbrook. So Bron is the only one? :oldlol:

aj1987
08-20-2014, 01:43 PM
:lol

If we're going by decades ('00's, '10's, etc.), then:

Wade, LeBron, KD, Kobe, Westbrick, CP3, PG, Blake, Love, Carmelo, Curry, Dirk, Timmy, Davis, Dwight, etc.

You have to remember that a lot of these dudes are really young and some them have at least 5+ years of their PRIME remaining. Some haven't even hit their peak.

We also have a bunch of players who MAY turnout to be superstars in the future. This "era" (decade) is only 4 years done.

Westbrook? :lol

MJ
Magic
Bird
Barkley
Ewing
Malone
Hakeem
Robinson
Wilkins
Drexler
KJ

All better than Westbrook. So Bron is the only one? :oldlol:
Are you being serious? As I said, Westbrook is only 25 and isn't even close to his peak.

DJ Leon Smith
08-20-2014, 01:44 PM
Lebron James and Russell Westbrook would COMFORTABLY be in the top 10/5 in the 90s with their far superior athleticism.

So Goran Dragic would be a scrub with his far inferior athleticism? Cool.

P.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRAp00SxP30 :cheers:

Dragic4Life
08-20-2014, 01:50 PM
So Goran Dragic would be a scrub with his far inferior athleticism? Cool.

P.S. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRAp00SxP30 :cheers:
Enough is enough with that video.

DJ Leon Smith
08-20-2014, 01:56 PM
Enough is enough with that video.

OK.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRAp00SxP30

:cheers:

Young X
08-20-2014, 02:07 PM
If we're going by decades ('00's, '10's, etc.), then:

Wade, LeBron, KD, Kobe, Westbrick, CP3, PG, Blake, Love, Carmelo, Curry, Dirk, Timmy, Davis, Dwight, etc.

You have to remember that a lot of these dudes are really young and some them have at least 5+ years of their PRIME remaining. Some haven't even hit their peak.

We also have a bunch of players who MAY turnout to be superstars in the future. This "era" (decade) is only 4 years done.If we're talking about current state of the league right now compared to 25 years ago it's not even close.

If we're comparing this decade so far (including pre injury Wade and Kobe) to the 1st 4 years of the 90's than I admit it's closer.

The elite players from the last couple seasons however don't even compare to the players from previous seasons. Paul George? Melo? lmao.

ImKobe
08-20-2014, 02:21 PM
Here are the top 10 players from the early 2000s

Shaq
Kobe
Duncan
KG
C-Webb
T-Mac
VC
Kidd
Dirk
Iverson

How many of them would fit into today's top 10 and push players other than Lebron & KD out? with current players staying? I'd say at least 6-7.

3ball
08-20-2014, 02:33 PM
previous eras had more once-in-a-lifetime players... like this guy...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaKRghcLQSY

look at how instinctive, quick-reacting and adjustable his game is,.. and how great a playmaker he was...

a whole different level of basketball compared to Dirk or kevin love - their games don't compare because of the playmaking aspect (a whole different dimension) and quick release on the shot aspect.

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-20-2014, 02:40 PM
Powerglove,

Jordan (better than LeBron), Hakeem, Shaq (in his peak, better than LeBron) and Barkley would all definitely be better than Durant. Just a top 3 aside from LeBron and Durant though? Ewing, Malone, DRob

kuniva_dAMiGhTy
08-20-2014, 02:46 PM

lol @ Duncan and Olajuwon at their best being just equal to KD. Never go full retard.

3ball
08-20-2014, 02:58 PM
lol @ Duncan and Olajuwon at their best being just equal to KD. Never go full retard.

uh, at their best, Hakeem and Duncan were EASILY > Durant.... easily..

Durant hasn't had all-time great performances in wins against all-time greats - Whereas, Duncan went thru Shaq/Kobe every year and his 2003 Finals performance is top 5 all time.

in the repeat championship years of 1994 and 1995, Hakeem had to go thru everybody and dominated on his way to those two championships the same way Jordan did, and the same way Dirk and Wade did the one year they were able to reach that level (2006 for Wade.. 2011 for Dirk).