08-19-2014, 10:14 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGeI6ypgtP0

:bowdown:

MP.Trey
08-19-2014, 10:23 PM
Top 5 Center peak of all time. :cheers:

jlip
08-19-2014, 11:19 PM
His series clinching game 6 is one of he most dominant performances I've ever seen.

LAZERUSS
08-19-2014, 11:20 PM
Top 5 Center peak of all time. :cheers:

Better than Wilt, KAJ, Shaq, Duncan, Moses, and Hakeem's peaks? And that's just the centers (and Russell certainly had a longer peak, as well.)

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Round Mound
08-20-2014, 01:27 AM
Probably The Best Passing Center Skillwise. Great Defender, Rebounder and Shot Blocker. Sadly His Prime Was Short Do To Injuries.

FKAri
08-20-2014, 03:31 AM
Better than Wilt, KAJ, Shaq, Duncan, Moses, and Hakeem's peaks? And that's just the centers (and Russell certainly had a longer peak, as well.)

Certainly better than Duncan's "peak".

bdreason
08-20-2014, 03:51 AM
A bigman who can block shots and pass from the high/low post is the most dominant force in the sport.

julizaver
08-20-2014, 03:51 AM
Probably The Best Passing Center Skillwise. Great Defender, Rebounder and Shot Blocker. Sadly His Prime Was Short Do To Injuries.

Based on his injury list (even in his two best NBA seasons) we could argue if he ever hit his prime (at best he plays 34 min per game). In my opinion he did not reach his potential, just show for 1-2 seasons what he could be. Should be considered as one of the greatest college players ever.

His greatest ever game is not in NBA, but in his last NCAA final.

MP.Trey
08-20-2014, 06:21 AM

Certainly better than Moses' in my opinion. Duncan is arguable but I consider him a power forward in the grand scheme. And of course, it's only centers, that's the group of players I mentioned , is it not? Mind you, we are talking one season peaks here. That's what I consider to be a "peak". Walton is top 5 material for me.

My advice to you would be to get off your high horse and realize that thew argument can be made and has been made serveral times by several reputable people. It's nothing to roll over laughing about like you're doing. That's just disrespecting Walton's season.

He had everything you could ever want in a Center. Leadership, Unseld like passing ability off the boards, Bird like passing ability in the halfcourt, tenacious rebounding defensive anchor led the league in blocks AND rebounds. Led Portland to a 70-15 record (including playoffs) with an average at best supporting cast, averaged 19/19/5/4 in the playoffs including 20/23/8/7 in a closeout elimination game. Sure he didn't have the post moves of McHale or Olajuwon, but a very efficient offensive game and never took over the game scoring, unless he needed to.

I'd personally take 77 Walton over any high powered offense with Moses to build a team around and wouldn't think twice about it.

I have:
67 Wilt
71 Kareem
01 Shaq
94 Olajuwon
77 Walton

LAZERUSS
08-20-2014, 07:09 AM
Certainly better than Moses' in my opinion. Duncan is arguable but I consider him a power forward in the grand scheme. And of course, it's only centers, that's the group of players I mentioned , is it not? Mind you, we are talking one season peaks here. That's what I consider to be a "peak". Walton is top 5 material for me.

My advice to you would be to get off your high horse and realize that thew argument can be made and has been made serveral times by several reputable people. It's nothing to roll over laughing about like you're doing. That's just disrespecting Walton's season.

He had everything you could ever want in a Center. Leadership, Unseld like passing ability off the boards, Bird like passing ability in the halfcourt, tenacious rebounding defensive anchor led the league in blocks AND rebounds. Led Portland to a 70-15 record (including playoffs) with an average at best supporting cast, averaged 19/19/5/4 in the playoffs including 20/23/8/7 in a closeout elimination game. Sure he didn't have the post moves of McHale or Olajuwon, but a very efficient offensive game and never took over the game scoring, unless he needed to.

I'd personally take 77 Walton over any high powered offense with Moses to build a team around and wouldn't think twice about it.

I have:
67 Wilt
71 Kareem
01 Shaq
94 Olajuwon
77 Walton

I do owe you an apology. We all have our opinions, and there are many that agree with your's.

IMHO, though, Walton couldn't even stay healthy for one full season, and as Julizaver noted, played 35 mpg in that one. He was very skilled, no doubt, but even at his peak KAJ had his way with him.

As for Moses...at his peak he just overwhelmed the league, and ALL of the centers in it. From '79 thru '83 he was as dominant against his peers as Wilt. KAJ, and Shaq were against their's.

But, again, sorry. I am so used to reading comments from trolls here that I mis-took you for one. You obviously are not, and deserve to be respected.

MP.Trey
08-20-2014, 09:26 AM
I do owe you an apology. We all have our opinions, and there are many that agree with your's.

IMHO, though, Walton couldn't even stay healthy for one full season, and as Julizaver noted, played 35 mpg in that one. He was very skilled, no doubt, but even at his peak KAJ had his way with him.

As for Moses...at his peak he just overwhelmed the league, and ALL of the centers in it. From '79 thru '83 he was as dominant against his peers as Wilt. KAJ, and Shaq were against their's.

But, again, sorry. I am so used to reading comments from trolls here that I mis-took you for one. You obviously are not, and deserve to be respected.
:cheers:

No worries. I know you're a very knowledgeable poster, which is why I took offense to the nature of your post. Walton's no laughing stock when comparing peaks with other greats and didn't want him to be portrayed that way, especially by someone who is known as a respectable, good poster on the board.

stanlove1111
08-20-2014, 10:30 AM
At his best he added as much value to a basketball team as any center ever. When healthy he was the best rebounder in the league, the best passer in the league, and the best defensive player in the league. Plus could put up a ton of points if he wanted to.

And all the intangables are there, he could play his game while taken nothing away from his teammates game ad only add to it.

jlip
08-20-2014, 10:32 AM
At his best he added as much value to a basketball team as any center ever. When healthy he was the best rebounder in the league, the best passer in the league, and the best defensive player in the league. Plus could put up a ton of points if he wanted to.

And all the intangables are there, he could play his game while taken nothing away from his teammates game ad only add to it.

I'd take that over a dominant scorer any day.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 10:35 AM
Certainly better than Duncan's "peak".

No, it isn't.

Duncan has the edge stat wise, won with less help [relative to competition], did it in the tougher era.

Duncan's a PF to me anyway, so I would have Walton in my top 5. But it wasn't better than Tim's.

Oh, and Duncan has better stats even though his teams were way slower.

stanlove1111
08-20-2014, 11:04 AM
I'd take that over a dominant scorer any day.

Yes. There is a reason the Blazers from 76-78 were 109-37 with Walton and 14-31 without him..Maybe the most valuable player ever.

stanlove1111
08-20-2014, 11:07 AM
No, it isn't.

Duncan has the edge stat wise, won with less help [relative to competition], did it in the tougher era.

Duncan's a PF to me anyway, so I would have Walton in my top 5. But it wasn't better than Tim's.

Oh, and Duncan has better stats even though his teams were way slower.

I am a huge Duncan fan but Walton was a better passer, defender, and rebounder then Duncan and scoring is probably about even.

And don't give me the stats argument about scoring because its not baseball where everyone gets up the same amount of times with the same goal..

Duncan never had the impact on his team of the league as a peak Walton. Walton took a weak team without him and dominated the league for 2 years.

Duncan while great and among the top 10 ever was not at that level.

T_L_P
08-20-2014, 11:23 AM
I am a huge Duncan fan but Walton was a better passer, defender, and rebounder then Duncan and scoring is probably about even.

And don't give me the stats argument about scoring because its not baseball where everyone gets up the same amount of times with the same goal..

Duncan never had the impact on his team of the league as a peak Walton. Walton took a weak team without him and dominated the league for 2 years.

Duncan while great and among the top 10 ever was not at that level.

77 Blazers scored 111.7 PPG with a Pace of 108.0. Walton averaged 18.6 PPG in the Regular Season and 18.2 PPG in the Playoffs.

03 Spurs scored 95.8 PPG with a Pace of 90.0. Duncan averaged 23.3 PPG in the Regular Season and 24.7 PPG in the Playoffs.

Duncan was a much, much, much, much better scorer. On a Per 100 Possession basis, Duncan scored about 10 more points per game.

In the Playoffs, Walton grabbed 0.5 more of the available rebounds. Duncan dished out 6.1% more assists. Walton stole the ball more; Duncan blocked more shots.

Defense is a wash for me. Walton was a fantastic team defender, but Duncan was the better man defender/help defender. Walton had the edge in rebounding.

I'm taking the guy who did it in one of the toughest eras/conferences in league history. The mid-70s was the low-point for the NBA.

Walton did have a top 5 peak for a C though. Incredible player!

Edit: I should add that Duncan was a more efficient scorer too. Walton was 7th on his team in TS%. Duncan was third.