PDA

View Full Version : Why is Johnny Manziel being persecuted?

stalkerforlife
08-21-2014, 02:04 PM
I keep hearing these pundits lambasting Manziel for his preseason play, as a rookie, even though Hoyer has played worse. What is with the media's fascination with tearing this guy apart? Some fat ass, Jason Whitlock, was on PTI yesterday and lambasted the kid. He said, "maybe the Browns are questioning drafting him after his play in preseason." Dude is 14-27 and has a TD pass and zero turnovers in limited time. He looks like a rookie because he IS A ROOKIE. Hoyer is like 8-20, no touchdowns, and has led an anemic offense.

You drafted the kid to play him...SO START HIM.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-21-2014, 02:09 PM
I keep hearing these pundits lambasting Manziel for his preseason play, as a rookie, even though Hoyer has played worse. What is with the media's fascination with tearing this guy apart? Some fat ass, Jason Whitlock, was on PTI yesterday and lambasted the kid. He said, "maybe the Browns are questioning drafting him after his play in preseason." Dude is 14-27 and has a TD pass and zero turnovers in limited time. He looks like a rookie because he IS A ROOKIE. Hoyer is like 8-20, no touchdowns, and has led an anemic offense.

You drafted the kid to play him...SO START HIM.

same can be said about Bortles for the Jaguars. I think they fear of throwing Manziel right into the fire because his body is similar to Tim Couch. Not to stocky for a quarterback. I think it's out of fear of making him Tim Couch 2.0.

Also I don't mind his flare of giving the Redskins the middle finger. I'm starting to hate how players are getting fines over small things like that. I've done this in middle school and all I got was some disapproving nods and my coach pulling me aside and said "Be respectful." The only punishment I got was to run a bit more than everyone else during the next practice.

chosen_one6
08-21-2014, 02:13 PM
same can be said about Bortles for the Jaguars. I think they fear of throwing Manziel right into the fire because his body is similar to Tim Couch. Not to stocky for a quarterback. I think it's out of fear of making him Tim Couch 2.0.

Also I don't mind his flare of giving the Redskins the middle finger. I'm starting to hate how players are getting fines over small things like that. I've done this in middle school and all I got was some disapproving nods and my coach pulling me aside and said "Be respectful." The only punishment I got was to run a bit more than everyone else during the next practice.

Middle school =/= professional football

He's a pro, so he needs to act like it. Johnny acting like an immature punk when he gets razzed is not good, at all. Not only does it show a lack of discipline, it also shows a lack of composure. You don't want your starting quarterback to be phased in any way, shape, or form. It makes it that much easier for the opposing defense to generate mistakes if they can get inside the head of the leader.

Godzuki
08-21-2014, 05:26 PM
he got a bad rap for hanging with celebs and partying all of the time. those pics get tweeted and the world see's him as some partying athlete before he ever plays a pro game. fingering skins fans didn't help, you'd think he'd know better from college environments tho which are way crazier.

i think he'll be the starter, if not a few games in i'm sure.

sweggeh
08-21-2014, 05:28 PM
Thats how it is. You cant have the superstardom without expecting negativity.

No one is universally loved. The more popular you are the more people will attack you. He has to deal with it.

Boarder Patrol
08-21-2014, 05:34 PM
He gets a lot of attention, good and bad. I don't follow the NFL too closely but I think it's best to have him 2nd string until he can adjust his body to the NFL game a bit...around 10 pounds of muscle since he seems skinny to me. I'm no expert though, basketball and baseball are my closest follows.

christian1923
08-21-2014, 05:41 PM
Manziel got just as much hate last off season, but once you start scoring those touchdowns. The haters become quiet.

kentatm
08-21-2014, 05:50 PM
why?

b/c sports pundits are some of the laziest journalists out there.

he is easy to do ridiculous black and white stories on so they fart out bullshit like OMG a QB flipped the bird HE IS NOT READY :rolleyes:

~primetime~
08-21-2014, 05:51 PM
The Browns had to start the season with Hoyer because it will be 100x easier for them to bench Hoyer for their star 1st round draft pick than it would be to bench their star draft pick for Hoyer.

They know if they were to start the season with Manziel if he plays bad and they bench him there is no turning back, he is officially a "busted pick" and that is their fault for taking him.

ROCSteady
08-21-2014, 05:56 PM
I like Manziel's personality in interviews.

I do think it is funny that he gave us the bird for something so minor and menial. I just don't think any facet of his skillet is anything other than average at this level.

Wait... This isn't the football forum? Lmao

TheReal Kendall
08-21-2014, 05:59 PM
Hate to make this a race thing but if Manziel was black he would be catching way more heat.

From the games I've seen he's not ready and I don't think he'll be that good in the NFL.

That college stuff not gonna work in the NFL

Le Shaqtus
08-21-2014, 06:05 PM
Manziel gonna bust so hard.

~primetime~
08-21-2014, 06:07 PM
College stuff like what running around? Not sure why people still think this after the fact that the last Superbowl featured 2 running QBs.

Russell Wilson had 539 rushing yards last year. Kaepernick ran for 524 yards.

Luck runs around, Cam Newton runs, RG3 runs, Alex Smith...there are lots of QBs in the NFL that use their legs

imdaman99
08-21-2014, 06:10 PM
I prefer him over the stale Tony Romo bashing that follows him every year. Bring on a fresh new lightning bolt pup.

TheReal Kendall
08-21-2014, 06:10 PM
College stuff like what running around? Not sure why people still think this after the fact that the last Superbowl featured 2 running QBs.

Russell Wilson had 539 rushing yards last year. Kaepernick ran for 524 yards.

Luck runs around, Cam Newton runs, RG3 runs, Alex Smith...there are lots of QBs in the NFL that use their legs

Nah, I'm talking bout Manziel's type of play. He just runs around praying someone gets open.

Those guys you mentioned run when they have to. Manziel seem like he say fvck the play and go.

Sarcastic
08-21-2014, 06:28 PM
He has the maturity of a spoiled 13 year old brat. He spent the off season partying, doing coke, and flipping the bird on his first national TV game on Monday night.

There's no way in hell any self respecting NFL team is gonna make THAT be the face of the franchise. Being an NFL quarterback comes with a lot of responsibility. Once he learns that, then maybe he will get a chance.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-21-2014, 06:34 PM
He has the maturity of a spoiled 13 year old brat. He spent the off season partying, doing coke, and flipping the bird on his first national TV game on Monday night.

There's no way in hell any self respecting NFL team is gonna make THAT be the face of the franchise. Being an NFL quarterback comes with a lot of responsibility. Once he learns that, then maybe he will get a chance.

It's like Ryan Leaf de ja vu. :lol.
And to think, back then I thought Ryan Leaf had a higher ceiling than Manning :facepalm

Balla_Status
08-21-2014, 07:55 PM
Hate to make this a race thing but if Manziel was black he would be catching way more heat.

From the games I've seen he's not ready and I don't think he'll be that good in the NFL.

He flipped the bird. He didn't kill someone or run a dogfighting ring.

Balla_Status
08-21-2014, 07:56 PM

He's the only player that parties?

Like how you talk about him like you know the guy.

DukeDelonte13
08-21-2014, 09:01 PM
Manziel gonna bust so hard.

the vast majority of QB's bust.

stalkerforlife
08-21-2014, 09:08 PM
He flipped the bird. He didn't kill someone or run a dogfighting ring.

:lebronamazed:

Sarcastic
08-21-2014, 10:52 PM
He's the only player that parties?

Like how you talk about him like you know the guy.

He can go party all he wants. Let him go follow in the footsteps of Matt Leinart. I am sure he will be the one to buck the trend of QBs like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers. If anyone can do it, it's Johnny Fcking Football.

Rodmantheman
08-21-2014, 10:53 PM
He can go party all he wants. Let him go follow in the footsteps of Matt Leinart. I am sure he will be the one to buck the trend of QBs like Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees, and Aaron Rodgers. If anyone can do it, it's Johnny Fcking Football.

:facepalm :roll:

kentatm
08-21-2014, 11:06 PM
Nah, I'm talking bout Manziel's type of play. He just runs around praying someone gets open.

want to know how I know you have hardly seen the dude play?