PDA

View Full Version : My original mission has now been accomplished

CavaliersFTW
08-21-2014, 11:51 PM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bdIIzzMdz6U/U_YrmrRuyGI/AAAAAAAAFSU/MYoCYy7TrU4/s640/wiltstanding%2520tall.jpg

There is now enough Wilt film, data and testimony widely available for basketball fans to see that all of the once laughed and jeered "tall tales" stories about Wilt are by casual basketball fan consensus, deemed to be plausible and amazing again. Insidehoops several years ago made me so angry (I admit... very very angry) that I created the Youtube channel Wilt Chamberlain Archive because I knew that if he was even half as good an athlete as his peers were trying to explain there should be at least some amazing film and solid data out there. There is, now, after several years of work put in on the subject. I've tried to share as much of it as I can and will continue to do so. Check out this reddit submission today, and the overall public responses:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2e6shs/compilation_of_wilt_chamberlain_stories/

Overwhelmingly positive, look at how many people actually AREN'T acting like it's all bullshit, and how many are reciting a lot of the stuff that ISH's Wilt fanbase like Jlauber, Phila, and the rest of us were turning up.

Ultimately it was ISH's criticisms that sparked it all, ISH single handedly brought Wilt's name back in the spotlight of NBA fans around the world. Pat yourselves on the back :applause:

fpliii
08-21-2014, 11:59 PM
:applause:

Fowl
08-22-2014, 12:02 AM
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140302214907/cookieclicker/images/0/01/Who_cares.jpg

CavaliersFTW
08-22-2014, 12:02 AM
http://img4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20140302214907/cookieclicker/images/0/01/Who_cares.jpg
well obviously me :lol

Spaulding
08-22-2014, 12:06 AM
Did you post so much about Wilt before Bron left Cleveland?

CavaliersFTW
08-22-2014, 12:06 AM
You've also contributed greatly on the subject so right back at you. You put solid numbers behind the leagues racial composition season by season in the late 50's to early 70's. :applause:

CavaliersFTW
08-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Did you post so much about Wilt before Bron left Cleveland?
I became interested in Wilt since around 2004 or 2005. When I first saw his statistics. No, there is no connection to Lebron leaving and me becoming a fan of Wilt. I actually remember hoping Lebron would put up Wilt-like numbers in Cleveland back in 08 and 09. He never did though, nobody can :D

PHILA
08-22-2014, 12:08 AM
Ultimately it was ISH's criticisms that sparked it all

The criticism was also directed towards most of the older players. I still recall the poster BULLS calling Hal Greer a "fat midget". :roll:

CavaliersFTW
08-22-2014, 12:09 AM
The criticism was also directed towards most of the older players. I still recall the poster BULLS calling Hal Greer a "fat midget". :roll:
are you serious!? :lol

*EDIT* Hal Greer is a solid solid player on film. I've heard many believe he was the #3 guard of that era, behind only Oscar and West (and ahead of Sam Jones). He's one of the guys I hope to cover in the future. Probably not the near future because I'm swamped, but some time down the road. He dominated the "old timers" game and was in great shape despite being one of the older guys on the floor:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lsz3wLZfwSo

fpliii
08-22-2014, 12:12 AM
You've also contributed greatly on the subject so right back at you. You put solid numbers behind the leagues racial composition season by season in the late 50's to early 70's. :applause:
:cheers:

So what's the next mission? Fleshing out other players from the era?

Those Gus highlights have a ton of potential.

CavaliersFTW
08-22-2014, 12:14 AM
:cheers:

So what's the next mission? Fleshing out other players from the era?

Those Gus highlights have a ton of potential.
Yep still doing all that, that's been a part of my channel since early on. I realized you can't make Wilt look good if there is no context as to the state of the league/competition in his era. Oscar, Gus, Russell, another West mix at some point probably. Connie Hawkins mix needs re-done too, I've found amateur footage of him recently. Nate Thurmond will probably get an updated mix in the future too I hope.

fpliii
08-22-2014, 12:15 AM
Yep still doing all that, that's been a part of my channel since early on. I realized you can't make Wilt look good if there is no context as to the state of the league/competition in his era. Oscar, Gus, Russell, another West mix at some point probably. Connie Hawkins mix needs re-done too, I've found amateur footage of him recently. Nate Thurmond will probably get an updated mix in the future too I hope.
Very cool, looking forward to all of it.

sportjames23
08-22-2014, 12:17 AM
Clips of Wilt vs the mountain lion or GTFO

oarabbus
08-22-2014, 12:18 AM

Cavs, good work on this ****. I (kinda) know how much work it takes to edit those kind of videos. And honestly as much as I do believe that the league is at its strongest today (due to analytics, global talent pool, $$$$$$$ being poured in for decades - an entire industry spawning where none had been before etc) it would have been a huge disservice and disrespect to Wilt if the ignorance here became common opinion.

It's really no different than if magically, 95% of all Kobe/Lebron/MJ footage was wiped out, and kids in 2030 were talking shit on them. You can imagine how silly it would be to disrespect these players' abilities, and how frustrated all the Kobe/Bron/Jordan stans would be :oldlol:

Prometheus
08-22-2014, 12:19 AM
Good stuff. I wish I could have been alive to see Wilt play basketball. Based on the limited amount of footage that I've seen and what I do know of historical fact, I truly believe Michael Jordan and Wilt Chamberlain are the 1a and 1b greatest basketball players that have ever walked this earth, with the edge going to Jordan strictly by way of his ruthless competitive spirit and the success which that brought him.

CavaliersFTW
08-22-2014, 12:27 AM
I also have to give credit to WiltatKansas aka Phillydippy aka OneHundredPoints who had unfortunately been shut down several times by Youtube but was the original Wilt mixer on Youtube. He was uploading enough footage to get me hooked on the idea that there might be enough footage out there to put together mixes.

Also Phila's channels are obviously invaluable. He's uploaded the lionshare of 1960's league documentary footage.

CavaliersFTW
08-22-2014, 12:41 AM
To give some of the newer posters an idea of the climate of ISH in regards to Wilt several years ago, check out this thread:

"Wilt 24 inch vertical"
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98884

Post #21:
"From the footage ive seen he was like Mutombo with less coordination, fair enough it was the older games with the lakers, full games too but his fundementals were shockingly bad."

Discrediting Wilt used to be so commonplace on ISH Jeff made a thread about it:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129861

:oldlol:

dunksby
08-22-2014, 12:50 AM
Good stuff Cavs, your vids and info on Wilt and old-school players have been eye opening. :cheers:

AirFederer
08-22-2014, 02:53 AM
Isn`t that the guy who once slept with a mountain goat? :confusedshrug:

Rumors have it he was some kind of basketball star back in the day, like the thirties or something.

Quizno
08-22-2014, 03:07 AM
honestly, props to CavsFTW. when i first started browsing ISH i knew wilt had averaged 50 ppg way back in the day but just figured he's an old timer who wouldn't be able to hang in today's NBA. but i saw more footage from CavsFTW and i came to realize that he would definitely be a superstar today. i still don't believe a lot of the "wilt stories" but there's no doubt he would be an amazing player at any point in NBA history

JimmyMcAdocious
08-22-2014, 03:11 AM
Before your research, I always thought Wilt was one of the greatest athletes ever to live.

After, I now view Wilt as the Robin Roberts of the NBA.

http://thepoliticalcarnival.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/bush-mission-accomplished.jpg

You should do the 70s or the 20s next.

SpanishACB
08-22-2014, 09:05 AM
it's funny how much you sound like Euroleague when you make these shit threads claiming to know the "casual fan consesus opinion" and similar bullshit

Euroleague
08-22-2014, 09:15 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-bdIIzzMdz6U/U_YrmrRuyGI/AAAAAAAAFSU/MYoCYy7TrU4/s640/wiltstanding%2520tall.jpg

There is now enough Wilt film, data and testimony widely available for basketball fans to see that all of the once laughed and jeered "tall tales" stories about Wilt are by casual basketball fan consensus, deemed to be plausible and amazing again. Insidehoops several years ago made me so angry (I admit... very very angry) that I created the Youtube channel Wilt Chamberlain Archive because I knew that if he was even half as good an athlete as his peers were trying to explain there should be at least some amazing film and solid data out there. There is, now, after several years of work put in on the subject. I've tried to share as much of it as I can and will continue to do so. Check out this reddit submission today, and the overall public responses:

http://www.reddit.com/r/nba/comments/2e6shs/compilation_of_wilt_chamberlain_stories/

Overwhelmingly positive, look at how many people actually AREN'T acting like it's all bullshit, and how many are reciting a lot of the stuff that ISH's Wilt fanbase like Jlauber, Phila, and the rest of us were turning up.

Ultimately it was ISH's criticisms that sparked it all, ISH single handedly brought Wilt's name back in the spotlight of NBA fans around the world. Pat yourselves on the back :applause:

Congrats comrade. A high paying job at Clear Channel, MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, the Pentagram, The State Department, The White House, etc. awaits you.

moe94
08-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Congrats comrade. A high paying job at Clear Channel, MSNBC, CNN, Fox News, the Pentagram, The State Department, The White House, etc. awaits you.

The Pentagram! :bowdown:

3ball
08-22-2014, 10:57 AM
Thanks that's pretty cool that it's you making the vids on that channel... what a service... thanks much... i've watched most of the vids and have learned a lot about Wilt goatness that I didn't know.

Shade8780
08-22-2014, 11:52 AM
Plot twist: CavsFTW is a ten-year-old kid with no friends.

nightprowler10
08-22-2014, 12:08 PM
Y'all should write a book.

pauk
08-22-2014, 12:30 PM
I very much enjoyed your videos, lots of footage i havent seen before hence there was something to learn & digest.

hawke812
08-22-2014, 12:38 PM

I care. A whole lot.

hawke812
08-22-2014, 12:38 PM
I very much enjoyed your videos, lots of footage i havent seen before hence there was something to learn & digest.

Indeed:cheers:

CavaliersFTW
08-22-2014, 01:08 PM
:lol hopefully the Pentagram :cheers: :rockon:

Marchesk
08-22-2014, 01:11 PM
Yes, I learned a lot. And I care. Screw those Lebron stans. Other than Pauk. He writes nice essays and appreciates NBA history.

LAZERUSS
08-22-2014, 01:12 PM
:lol hopefully the Pentagram :cheers: :rockon:

Or better yet...the position of Assistant to the Traveling Secretary of the New York Yankees.

As Steinbrenner himself once said, "Hire this man!"

moe94
08-22-2014, 01:14 PM
Or better yet...the position of Assistant to the Traveling Secretary of the New York Yankees.

As Steinbrenner himself once said, "Hire this man!"
http://p.fod4.com/upload/aff3567c9abaad4b798a350dc1e1b1a3/mdh6oNKAQeaXgrKcU44w_George%20Shake.gif

LAZERUSS
08-22-2014, 01:20 PM
http://p.fod4.com/upload/aff3567c9abaad4b798a350dc1e1b1a3/mdh6oNKAQeaXgrKcU44w_George%20Shake.gif

:applause: :applause: :applause:

LAZERUSS
08-22-2014, 01:22 PM
I promise I won't continue this...but the reality was, Costanza was a "leader."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuP9YClyPRY

LAZERUSS
08-22-2014, 01:52 PM
To give some of the newer posters an idea of the climate of ISH in regards to Wilt several years ago, check out this thread:

"Wilt 24 inch vertical"
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98884

Post #21:
"From the footage ive seen he was like Mutombo with less coordination, fair enough it was the older games with the lakers, full games too but his fundementals were shockingly bad."

Discrediting Wilt used to be so commonplace on ISH Jeff made a thread about it:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129861

:oldlol:

You and other's, like Fpliii and his group at nbastats.net have contributed heavily to the REAL facts on Wilt.

It really only has been in the last 10 years, or so, where a plethora of research has been unearthed regarding Wilt, and his peers.

It wasn't just the video footage (and live interviews), but we also now have virtually every H2H stat between Russell and Wilt, as well as many of their H2H's with the other greats of the 60's (and 70's.)

For decades it was widely accepted that Wilt dominated the "weaklings" of his era, but that Russell reduced him to an average scorer, and below average shooter. However, we now have the actual information, and Wilt was not only abusing the "inept 6-5 white centers" of the 60's, but he was also slaughtering the Russell's, Bellamy's, Reed's, and Thurmond's, as well.

pudman13
08-22-2014, 01:55 PM
I created the Youtube channel Wilt Chamberlain Archive because I knew that if he was even half as good an athlete as his peers were trying to explain there should be at least some amazing film and solid data out there. There is, now, after several years of work put in on the subject. I've tried to share as much of it as I can and will continue to do so.

Hey, CavsFTW, I do want to give you all kinds of kudos for this, and for your other work as well (I'm as interested in all of the other old-time players as I am in Wilt.) I'm not just saying this because we apparently live near the same city. You have provided me with a ton of entertainment and, yes, education about the game.

To put this in perspective, here's my own story, because I'm obviously quite a bit older than you: when I was a kid I had a bunch of basketball cards. In those days that was the only way to see some of these statistics. I actually didn't start watching basketball on TV until the mid/late 70s (the first game I remember watching was a Braves game in one of the years McAdoo won the scoring title--and then I remember watching some Celtics games during the late Havlicek/White/Cowens years, and also some Knicks games when Monroe and Frazier were both on the team), but somehow I had some cards from earlier in the decade (these were those really long, tall ones, if anyone remembers them.) Two of the cards I had were Chamberlain and Elgin Baylor, and I remember being just stunned by the statistics those guys had, especially Wilt's 50 point season and 100 point game. Even as a kid, I assumed (wrongly) that a big part of it was that they were ahead of their time, that the competition was weak, that nobody was anywhere near as tall as Wilt, etc... I actually never dreamed I'd ever see *any* footage of either guy, and indeed, until youtube exploded the only footage I ever saw was the famous 7th game of the 1970 finals, a game in which Wilt didn't play particularly well. I assumed that Wilt was already washed up (again, I was wrong) and that I'd never see anything from prime Wilt. Youtube is a wonder. I praise you for being a big part of my ability to see things I thought I never would, in terms of the NBA. Also, youtube has given me the opportunity to see other things I read about and was fascinated by as a kid (a huge example is the 1974 NHL game in which Dave Forbes seriously injured Henry Boucha. In the mid-70s that whole incident was written about extensively in all of the magazines I read; a made-for-TV movie was even made to mirror it), but basketball has been the biggest revelation. I remain a stubborn fan of the old game, one who believes (knowing that most people don't agree with me) that the game was changed forever and mostly negatively when the 3-point shot was added. Anyway---I really look forward to whatever else you can put together--I, for one, would be thrilled to see quality highlights and analysis of *any* 60s or 70s player.

LAZERUSS
08-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Hey, CavsFTW, I do want to give you all kinds of kudos for this, and for your other work as well (I'm as interested in all of the other old-time players as I am in Wilt.) I'm not just saying this because we apparently live near the same city. You have provided me with a ton of entertainment and, yes, education about the game.

To put this in perspective, here's my own story, because I'm obviously quite a bit older than you: when I was a kid I had a bunch of basketball cards. In those days that was the only way to see some of these statistics. I actually didn't start watching basketball on TV until the mid/late 70s (the first game I remember watching was a Braves game in one of the years McAdoo won the scoring title--and then I remember watching some Celtics games during the late Havlicek/White/Cowens years, and also some Knicks games when Monroe and Frazier were both on the team), but somehow I had some cards from earlier in the decade (these were those really long, tall ones, if anyone remembers them.) Two of the cards I had were Chamberlain and Elgin Baylor, and I remember being just stunned by the statistics those guys had, especially Wilt's 50 point season and 100 point game. Even as a kid, I assumed (wrongly) that a big part of it was that they were ahead of their time, that the competition was weak, that nobody was anywhere near as tall as Wilt, etc... I actually never dreamed I'd ever see *any* footage of either guy, and indeed, until youtube exploded the only footage I ever saw was the famous 7th game of the 1970 finals, a game in which Wilt didn't play particularly well. I assumed that Wilt was already washed up (again, I was wrong) and that I'd never see anything from prime Wilt. Youtube is a wonder. I praise you for being a big part of my ability to see things I thought I never would, in terms of the NBA. Also, youtube has given me the opportunity to see other things I read about and was fascinated by as a kid (a huge example is the 1974 NHL game in which Dave Forbes seriously injured Henry Boucha. In the mid-70s that whole incident was written about extensively in all of the magazines I read; a made-for-TV movie was even made to mirror it), but basketball has been the biggest revelation. I remain a stubborn fan of the old game, one who believes (knowing that most people don't agree with me) that the game was changed forever and mostly negatively when the 3-point shot was added. Anyway---I really look forward to whatever else you can put together--I, for one, would be thrilled to see quality highlights and analysis of *any* 60s or 70s player.

How good was Walt Bellamy?

How about a well-past-his-prime Bells vs a peak Alcindor (KAJ)?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pv9LhEH3YCw

Here again, a prime Bellamy had entire seasons of 33 and 30 ppg against Russell, including several 40+ point games (with a high of 47.)

And the reality was, Bellamy was probably only regarded as the 5th best center of the 60's (Reed, Thurmond, Russell, and Wilt.)

riseagainst
08-22-2014, 02:24 PM

:roll: