PDA

View Full Version : Peak KG VS Peak Lebron

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-23-2014, 05:31 AM
Who u got
im taking Ticket easy. Much better defender everywhere (even perimeter), much better rebounder relative to position, much better passer and playmaker compared to his position, better shooter (midrange, FT Lebron still never came close to 80%:roll: :roll: , etc), higher IQ. He played in a MUCH tougher conference with MUCH worse teammates and coaching

Lebron is a better athlete, ball handler, slasher and overall scorer
we all know KG was a far more skilled player but does Lebrons god given natural athletic talent overcome it?

JohnFreeman
08-23-2014, 05:44 AM
leBron >

VengefulAngel
08-23-2014, 05:44 AM
Who u got
im taking Ticket easy. Much better defender everywhere (even perimeter), much better rebounder relative to position, much better passer and playmaker compared to his position, better shooter (midrange, FT Lebron still never came close to 80%:roll: :roll: , etc), higher IQ. He played in a MUCH tougher conference with MUCH worse teammates and coaching

Lebron is a better athlete, ball handler, slasher and overall scorer
we all know KG was a far more skilled player but does Lebrons god given natural athletic talent overcome it?

Negged.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-23-2014, 05:50 AM
Negged.
I know u dont know shit about bball with ur embarrassing bball IQ but at least try to post a rebuttal nikka damn:biggums: :biggums:

Harison
08-23-2014, 05:54 AM
KG was more impactful on and off court, always brings 110% of effort, he never learned the magic trick of disappearance either :D

That said, due to accolades Lebron is already ranked higher on All-time list, and he isnt done yet.

Fowl
08-23-2014, 05:55 AM
Put prime Garnett on this year's Cavs and its a lock for the championship.

El Gato Negro
08-23-2014, 08:06 AM
Put prime Garnett on this year's Cavs and its a lock for the championship.
And a wolves fans worst nightmare kg and love winning a title together :wtf:

ImKobe
08-23-2014, 08:10 AM
Prime KG averaged 24/14/5/2/2 for a season, led the league in rebounding 4 straight seasons. His 03-04 season is pretty much on par with prime Lebron.

Mr Feeny
08-23-2014, 08:13 AM
Prime KG averaged 24/14/5/2/2 for a season, led the league in rebounding 4 straight seasons. His 03-04 season is pretty much on par with prime Lebron.

Mmm its great. But Lebron has arguably a top 4 peak all time (along with MJ, Shaq and Wilt). Not sure if KG is quite there.

VengefulAngel
08-23-2014, 08:15 AM
I know u dont know shit about bball with ur embarrassing bball IQ but at least try to post a rebuttal nikka damn:biggums: :biggums:

Why do you think I negged, I didn't give any indication. Deep down you know who is a better player which is indicated by your response.

Thank you very much.

ImKobe
08-23-2014, 08:17 AM
Mmm its great. But Lebron has arguably a top 4 peak all time (along with MJ, Shaq and Wilt). Not sure if KG is quite there.

How would you rate KD's peak? Last season he had a 29.8 PER and .295 WS/48, both higher than peak KG. Not to mention he put up 32/7/6 a game.

Mr Feeny
08-23-2014, 08:19 AM
How would you rate KD's peak? Last season he had a 29.8 PER and .295 WS/48, both higher than peak KG. Not to mention he put up 32/7/6 a game.

Fair enough. That was phenomenal. Close to MJ early 90's level. He's up there amd is already one of the best offensive players of all time.

masonanddixon
08-23-2014, 08:22 AM
Garnett by far. Unfortunately he had to go up against prime Dirk, Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan whereas lebron goes up against the likes of paul george and rajon rondo, marginal players at best.

Milbuck
08-23-2014, 08:36 AM
Garnett by far. Unfortunately he had to go up against prime Dirk, Shaq, Kobe, and Duncan whereas lebron goes up against the likes of paul george and rajon rondo, marginal players at best.
:coleman:

K Xerxes
08-23-2014, 08:50 AM
I think peak KG was just as good as (if not better than) peak Duncan in all honesty, who I think is very close to peak LeBron either way. I give LeBron the edge in that, but I wouldn't argue with anyone who says Duncan/KG because of their impact on the defensive end.

I'd have to think about which year peak LeBron is. 2009 for athletic/explosive peak. 2012 for mentality (he was a man on a mission that playoffs). 2013 for skill (improved post up). Either way, it's probably the 4th best peak I've ever seen after MJ, Shaq and Hakeem.

Mr Feeny
08-23-2014, 09:08 AM
KG's 04 Regular Season is the best since Jordan, but he never put together a legendary Playoff run, even when he had enough help. His perimeter defense wasn't more valuable than Duncan interior defense over a seven game series, and he didn't take the high percentage shots, or draw consistent double-teams, which all the great bigs did in their peak -- Shaq, Kareem, Duncan, Hakeem.

He went from 24/14/5/2/2/.547 TS% in the Regular Season to 24/15/5/1/2/.513 TS% in the Playoffs.

Duncan in 02 put up 26/13/4/2/3/.576 TS%. Then in the Playoffs it was 28/14/5/1/4/.550 TS%

In the 03 Playoffs he put up 25/15/5/1/3/.577 TS%

Duncan was more consistent and he could be relied on more in the big moments.

You're a solid poster. Why do you have two red bars?

Dragic4Life
08-23-2014, 09:42 AM
Lebron James for me.

ArbitraryWater
08-23-2014, 09:48 AM
Lmfao at the responses...

Also at "relative to position"

LeBron actually was a better perimeter defender, passer, playmaker, scorer, leader.... Please.

LeBron's peak & prime are much longer too...

People discuss his peak, and the responses vary between 2009, 2012 and 2013...

Insane how long. For KG you have 2004, that's it.

KG was more impactful on and off court, always brings 110% of effort, he never learned the magic trick of disappearance either :D

Actually before he went to Boston, this is what he was known for...

Mr Feeny
08-23-2014, 10:11 AM
Lmfao at the responses...

Also at "relative to position"

LeBron actually was a better perimeter defender, passer, playmaker, scorer, leader.... Please.

LeBron's peak & prime are much longer too...

People discuss his peak, and the responses vary between 2009, 2012 and 2013...

Insane how long. For KG you have 2004, that's it.

This is correct. Why do people care what position a player plays. If Lebron's overall defense factoring in perimeter and post defense, is better than KG's was, then that's all that matters.

Offensively it isn't even close. James is the best offensive player on the planet by a landslide. Defensively, its close with KG being a better post defender and James being a better perimeter defender.

Hoopz2332
08-23-2014, 10:17 AM
LMAO @ this comparison:oldlol:

KG was a beast but he was always considered unclutch/not someone who could take over a game. You would almost never see KG go off for like 30+ . Dude stayed getting low 20's. The only real memorable KG playoff moment was against a broken down/hobbled Webber (who was better than KG when healthy). KG has never had the dominance of "modern" Lebron (2008-to present).

ImKobe
08-23-2014, 10:34 AM

He's a Duncan stan

moe94
08-23-2014, 11:37 AM
lol @ "relative to position" stretching

KG was a beast but he was always considered unclutch/not someone who could take over a game. You would almost never see KG go off for like 30+ . Dude stayed getting low 20's. The only real memorable KG playoff moment was against a broken down/hobbled Webber (who was better than KG when healthy). KG has never had the dominance of "modern" Lebron (2008-to present).

Absolutely not.

bizil
08-23-2014, 04:05 PM
In my opinion, this one damn close. U have the most versatile perimeter player of all time vs. the most versatile big man of all time. Both totally redefined their positions. I think both even see the game the same way too. Because are pass first kind of guys who are also alpha dogs. But for me, I would go with Bron because he's more dominant scoring. KG is the better defender, rebounder, and is arguably the best passing big man of all time. So for me, it comes down to Bron's ball handling and scoring over KG. It would have been EPIC to see these guys play on the same team in their peaks!

fpliii
08-23-2014, 04:19 PM
People are calling them close defensively? :biggums:

ImKobe
08-23-2014, 04:33 PM

04 KG had plenty 30+ pt games...the man was a beast all-around that would give you 20/20 games with 5+ assists with some steals and blocks. He was consistent.

jlip
08-23-2014, 04:41 PM
KG was more impactful on and off court, always brings 110% of effort, he never learned the magic trick of disappearance either .

I was actually going to say something like this. Before 2004 KG was often considered as a player whom you couldn't count on to close out games. His image changed after the '04 playoffs especially after the series against the Kings, but from '05 until he got to Boston he showed little that would reinforce the new image.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-23-2014, 04:55 PM
Why do you think I negged, I didn't give any indication. Deep down you know who is a better player which is indicated by your response.

Thank you very much.
Concession accepted.

Hamtaro CP3KDKG
08-23-2014, 04:57 PM
People are calling them close defensively? :biggums:
Lot of dumb fans on here...........nikkas think KAJ could defend prime Shaq:biggums: :biggums: :biggums:
http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=352025
:biggums:

Inferno
08-23-2014, 05:06 PM

Bran and Bean stans

dubeta
08-23-2014, 05:29 PM
Id take peak lebron over peak Garnett AND peak Duncan

Funny how people rave about peak Garnett and Duncan but they could only win rings as role players :oldlol:

DatAsh
08-23-2014, 05:47 PM
This is correct. Why do people care what position a player plays. If Lebron's overall defense factoring in perimeter and post defense, is better than KG's was, then that's all that matters.

Offensively it isn't even close. James is the best offensive player on the planet by a landslide. Defensively, its close with KG being a better post defender and James being a better perimeter defender.

I don't really see the defense being close at all. Garnett is one of the best defensive players ever, and from what I hear a great defensive leader.

I'd give Lebron a slight edge here, but peak Kevin Garnett was a monster.

T_L_P
08-23-2014, 05:53 PM

Funny how people rave about peak Garnett and Duncan but they could only win rings as role players :oldlol:

Good lord. :facepalm

25/15/5/3 is a role player and 26/8/7/2 is GOAT?

dubeta
08-23-2014, 05:57 PM
I know people in ISH tend to be nostalgic and hype up old players or players not that well known but the fact that this is even a discussion should be classified as severe trolling

Yes I know Garnett was a beast, he had 26/12/4 seasons with great defense (although many lottery seasons ala Kevin Love esque)

But peak LeBron was the freaking GOAT

I'm talking about averaging 35/9/8 with all NBA 1st team defense in the playoffs. And averaging 30/9/7 over an entire season while winning MVP.
A 2012 playoffs where after winning MVP yet again, averaging 30/10/6 while consistently playing 1-4 defense and winning the championship WITH FMVP

This honestly shouldn't be a debate :facepalm

bizil
08-23-2014, 06:20 PM
I think what makes Bron, Magic, and Bird unique among ALL PERIMETER players is the fact that they can comfortably move up to the PF position. So that kind of versatility, IQ, and alpha dog ability in a package makes those three different from basically everybody else in that regard. Even among very talented big men. The only big guys I would possibly consider taking over those three are Kareem, Duncan, Wilt, Hakeem, and Shaq. It would have to be bigs would could TOTALLY own the paint. As great as KG was, he never was the kind of PF who TOTALLY owned the paint. KG would as far as boards, but he wasn't great on the block.

dubeta
08-23-2014, 08:19 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-kea8TCoPs8U/TebwS-aQGDI/AAAAAAAAA0w/kdGt0zwvKcI/s1600/nba-jokes-photos-lebron-vs-boston-matrix.gif

pauk
08-23-2014, 08:46 PM
Peak KG was a better interior defender & rebounder.... but Peak Lebron was/is except perhaps for the FT line (really not a significant margin) a better shooter from anywhere really, paint, midrange or perimeter... Peak KG lived in the paint/midrange and his taken jumpshots were not really as elusive, spontaneous or plentiful as say Lebrons or Kobes or Jordans and so on (or most/if not all of those superstar perimeter scorers), the best he could do was 52.6% FG....

Lebron was/is also a more skilled & productive scorer, a more skilled ballhandler, a more skilled passer with far greater court vision, due to the athleticism he was/is also an even more versatile defender with better perimeter & help defense (doesnt mean he was overall a better defender, but that he filled somewhere where KG couldnt do equally well) and ofcourse all that package allowed him to be a more versatile offensive player in every sense as he could essentially dominate from any position offensively.... Lebron could also take over games, while many people try to make fun of his mishaps in that regard he actually is factually/statistically one of the most productive clutch players in NBA history.....

Peak Lebron's overall game, hence, translated to more impact & success individually & team wise.... that translation would not have happened if he wasnt better....

Hoopz2332
08-23-2014, 08:48 PM
Their advan numbers

KG

http://i.imgur.com/UhG3nuu.png

LBJ

http://i.imgur.com/KZfU7BK.png

bizil
08-24-2014, 04:45 AM
Peak KG was a better interior defender & rebounder.... but Peak Lebron was/is except perhaps for the FT line (really not a significant margin) a better shooter from anywhere really, paint, midrange or perimeter... Peak KG lived in the paint/midrange and his taken jumpshots were not really as elusive, spontaneous or plentiful as say Lebrons or Kobes or Jordans and so on (or most/if not all of those superstar perimeter scorers), the best he could do was 52.6% FG....

Lebron was/is also a more skilled & productive scorer, a more skilled ballhandler, a more skilled passer with far greater court vision, due to the athleticism he was/is also an even more versatile defender with better perimeter & help defense (doesnt mean he was overall a better defender, but that he filled somewhere where KG couldnt do equally well) and ofcourse all that package allowed him to be a more versatile offensive player in every sense as he could essentially dominate from any position offensively.... Lebron could also take over games, while many people try to make fun of his mishaps in that regard he actually is factually/statistically one of the most productive clutch players in NBA history.....

Peak Lebron's overall game, hence, translated to more impact & success individually & team wise.... that translation would not have happened if he wasnt better....

Great post! And I'm the biggest KG fan out there! But Bron is likely the most versatile player of all time! But ironically, KG is in the top 5 in that regard. It pretty much comes down to Bron having PG handle and pace to his game, more dominate scoring, and being the size of Karl Malone. That's an unreal combination of talent! KG's talent is unreal too dont get me wrong. But an unique as KG is, Bron is just more unique. I mean in terms of versatility, u are talking the most versatile perimeter player vs. the most versatile big man! If KG was like a McAdoo in terms of scoring dominance, then I think U would have to SERIOUSLY consider KG over Lebron.

dreamwarrior
08-24-2014, 06:20 AM
Kg was a sensationalized role player. I always felt he could have been a superstar had he gone to college

Paul George 24
08-24-2014, 12:55 PM
kg will own leflop no question about it

Paul George 24
08-24-2014, 12:57 PM

leflop is so lucky can play in weak east :lol

Kvnzhangyay
08-24-2014, 01:28 PM
leflop is so lucky can play in weak east :lol

P sure paul george plays in the east

ProfessorMurder
08-24-2014, 02:06 PM
KG's 04 Regular Season is the best since Jordan, but he never put together a legendary Playoff run, even when he had enough help.

He had a good team for one year of his career before his knee injury, and won the title.

Don't even act like any of those Wolves teams were good other than 2004, and Cassell got hurt in the playoffs.

KG never quit, Bran did. I take KG every time.

NBAplayoffs2001
08-24-2014, 02:10 PM
Kg as a defensive anchor and emotional leader. Give him players like sprewell and Sam cassel and I pick prime kg if the team is loaded with talent, Lebron

T_L_P
08-24-2014, 03:02 PM
He had a good team for one year of his career before his knee injury, and won the title.

Don't even act like any of those Wolves teams were good other than 2004, and Cassell got hurt in the playoffs.

He had two very good offensive options in 04. He shot .508 TS% in round 1 and .512 TS% in round 2. I didn't expect a ring from that team but KG hardly dominated the first two rounds like peak Duncan did.

I said in my post KG didn't take great shots or draw consistent doubles, which Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem did. That's why his peak wasn't on par with theirs.

aj1987
08-24-2014, 04:12 PM

Why do you want to lose though?

You can talk shit about LeBron losing the Finals all you want, but his teams since '07 were never bad. He played with totally different teams a bunch of times and they were ALWAYS good.

eliteballer
08-24-2014, 06:44 PM
Fair argument to be made for Garnett. That 08 Celtic's team he anchored was better than any of the Heat squads.

hahaitme
08-24-2014, 07:07 PM

Because Kobe stans went ham on him when Duncan won another chip this year

ProfessorMurder
08-24-2014, 10:29 PM
He had two very good offensive options in 04. He shot .508 TS% in round 1 and .512 TS% in round 2. I didn't expect a ring from that team but KG hardly dominated the first two rounds like peak Duncan did.

I said in my post KG didn't take great shots or draw consistent doubles, which Duncan, Shaq, Hakeem, Kareem did. That's why his peak wasn't on par with theirs.

I'm not talking about anything other than teams.

In the only year he had a good team before Boston, his starting PG was out in the WCF against the Shaq/Kobe Lakers.

He didn't have title contending teams in Minnesota and the year he could've brought them to the finals his PG goes down mid-WCF.

He didn't have great teams. It's not like he was on a Shaq/Kobe/Malone/GP or Bran/Wade/Bosh type team.

ProfessorMurder
08-24-2014, 10:36 PM
Why do you want to lose though?

You can talk shit about LeBron losing the Finals all you want, but his teams since '07 were never bad. He played with totally different teams a bunch of times and they were ALWAYS good.

He had better teams. It's not f*cking rocket science.

Who's better, Bosh/Varejao/Big Z/Ben Wallace/Shaq or Rasho Nesterovic, Olowokandi, and Ervin Johnson?

aj1987
08-25-2014, 03:33 AM
He had better teams. It's not f*cking rocket science.

Who's better, Bosh/Varejao/Big Z/Ben Wallace/Shaq or Rasho Nesterovic, Olowokandi, and Ervin Johnson?
How many games do you think the '10 Cavs would've won without LeBron? Since we're talking about PEAK's, LeBron was a beast that season. 30/7/9/2/1 on 60% TS. Even though he "quit" in the Playoffs, he still put up 29/8/9/2/2 on 61% TS.

Oh, and '04 KG (which was his peak) had Cassell and Sprewell. Didn't KG also shoot 51% TS in the Playoffs in '04?

SamuraiSWISH
08-25-2014, 04:38 AM
LeBron, and it isn't even remotely close. Even LeBron's non peak seasons could be considered better than KG's absolute best.

2005: 27/7/7
2006: 31/7/7
2007: 27/7/6
2008: 30/8/7
2011: 27/8/7
2014: 27/7/6

Now we're supposed to compare Prime / Peak LeBron ... KG can't mess with the following. Not by a LONG shot.

2009: 28/8/7 (66-16)
Playoffs 35/9/7

2010: 30/7/9 (61-21)
Playoffs 29/9/8

2012: 27/8/6
Playoffs 30/9/6 (Championship)

2013: 27/8/7
Playoffs 26/8/7 (Championship)

SupermanOnSteroids
08-25-2014, 05:05 AM
LeBron.

Much better scorer and can be relied upon to carry a team through the clutch. KG, not so much.

IMO, KG is the greatest second banana of all time.

It's A VC3!!!
08-25-2014, 12:11 PM
KG had a great peak and a great career but LeBron has led a team to a championship. KG couldn't sniff that during his peak and instead, won one as a second or third option later on his career. I'd take LeBron. I love me some KG though. Hope he gives us one more season.

Hoopz2332
08-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Fair argument to be made for Garnett. That 08 Celtic's team he anchored was better than any of the Heat squads.

That 08 celtics team is overrated. The 08 Cavs took them down to the last minute in game 7 in Boston and if not for a lame PJ Brown jumper, Cavs would took them out. The 08 Cavs weren't that good yet (09 is when they made the jump). The healthy 2011-2012 and 2012-2013 Heat teams were much better than the 08 celtics.