PDA

View Full Version : J.R. Smith:

oarabbus
08-27-2014, 01:12 AM
[quote]J.R. Smith recently said he wants to be a leader for the Knicks, and hopes that he and his fellow two-guards can

JohnFreeman
08-27-2014, 01:13 AM
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BrainDead
08-27-2014, 01:16 AM
This dude is more brain dead than I am :hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

Cavalier
08-27-2014, 01:16 AM
#Gone means he's high, right?

Cold soul
08-27-2014, 01:19 AM
Smith is totally delusional if he honesty believes that. It's hard to take him seriously.

J Shuttlesworth
08-27-2014, 01:19 AM
muh boi jr holdin shiz down

yall cant preshiate hiz greatnezz

IGOTGAME
08-27-2014, 01:21 AM
he is a criminally underrated shooter. He has always been more a shooter than a slasher despite what the narrative around him was. Great shooter.

JT123
08-27-2014, 01:22 AM
He's not consistant, but when he gets hot he is LETHAL! :eek:

stallionaire
08-27-2014, 01:22 AM
He's literally dumber than a box of rocks.

IGOTGAME
08-27-2014, 01:24 AM
He's literally dumber than a box of rocks.

but he can shoot the ball. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There isn't that much difference between JR and JJ Reddick in terms of just shooting the rock.

Collie
08-27-2014, 01:24 AM
Well, he's better than Antoine Walker at least.

And lol, there's a difference between being a decent/good 3 point shooter and "one of the best shooters the game has ever seen".

Milbuck
08-27-2014, 01:27 AM
Obviously this is a complete exaggeration and he's stupid and all that..but he does deserve some credit.

Surprisingly, he's on pace to easily be in the top 10 all time in 3-pointers made, with very respectable efficiency from that range as well.

He's averaged around 148 3s a season for the past 6 seasons, if he can continue that for just 3 more seasons he's #10. He's only 28, and as dumb as he is, he's good enough to stay in the league for probably 6-8 more years unless he goes full Steve Francis or Starbury. 120 3s over the next 5 seasons, which is very doable considering he'll definitely put up more than 120 in most of those seasons, would put him at #6 behind Pierce. So far he's shooting 37% from 3 and 38% if you discount his rookie season which is a clear outlier, and that's pretty damn good.

IGOTGAME
08-27-2014, 01:28 AM

And lol, there's a difference between being a decent/good 3 point shooter and "one of the best shooters the game has ever seen".

good/decent? really, if that is all he is than 98% of the league is horrible.

Guy hits 37% of his 3s and he takes a high volume. Lets also factor in the degree of difficulty on his shots. He has always been a great shooter but people wanted him to be something that he isnt...a true slasher.

oarabbus
08-27-2014, 01:29 AM
he is a criminally underrated shooter. He has always been more a shooter than a slasher despite what the narrative around him was. Great shooter.

He most definitely is a criminally underrated shooter. About once every 4-6 games.

stallionaire
08-27-2014, 01:31 AM
Obviously this is a complete exaggeration and he's stupid and all that..but he does deserve some credit.

Surprisingly, he's on pace to easily be in the top 10 all time in 3-pointers made, with very respectable efficiency from that range as well.

He's averaged around 148 3s a game for the past 6 seasons, if he can continue that for just 3 more seasons he's #10. He's only 28, and as dumb as he is, he's good enough to stay in the league for probably 6-8 more years unless he goes full Steve Francis or Starbury. 120 3s over the next 5 seasons, which is very doable considering he'll definitely put up more than 120 in most of those seasons, would put him at #6 behind Pierce. So far he's shooting 37% from 3 and 38% if you discount his rookie season which is a clear outlier, and that's pretty damn good.

JR > MJ :bowdown:

Milbuck
08-27-2014, 01:32 AM
God dammit

G-train
08-27-2014, 01:38 AM

No he isn't, Walker was a much much better player.

G-train
08-27-2014, 01:40 AM

He's averaged around 148 3s a season for the past 6 seasons, if he can continue that for just 3 more seasons he's #10. He's only 28, and as dumb as he is, he's good enough to stay in the league for probably 6-8 more years unless he goes full Steve Francis or Starbury. 120 3s over the next 5 seasons, which is very doable considering he'll definitely put up more than 120 in most of those seasons, would put him at #6 behind Pierce. So far he's shooting 37% from 3 and 38% if you discount his rookie season which is a clear outlier, and that's pretty damn good.

He'll be out of the league in 2-3 seasons. It's a miracle he lasted this long.

Collie
08-27-2014, 01:50 AM
No he isn't, Walker was a much much better player.

I meant in terms of 3 point shooting.

G-train
08-27-2014, 01:51 AM
I meant in terms of 3 point shooting.

sorry, fair enough

tpols
08-27-2014, 01:57 AM
but he can shoot the ball. I've said it before and I'll say it again. There isn't that much difference between JR and JJ Reddick in terms of just shooting the rock.

except JJ knows when to pass the ball if he isnt open while jr thinks he can go jamal crawford on defenders if hes crowded.

R.I.P
08-27-2014, 02:27 AM
What did Knicks do to deserve to this fool? :( Karma.

ImKobe
08-27-2014, 02:27 AM
3's made after 10 NBA seasons:

Ray Allen: 1,755
Reggie Miller: 1,432
J.R. Smith: 1,312

hmm.

Kobe is ranked 12th and is 45 threes away from catching Nash, JR, after 10 NBA seasons, is 30th all-time, only 406 threes away from catching Dale Ellis at 10th.

Kidd 3rd all-time in 3s Made :biggums:

JohnMax
08-27-2014, 02:31 AM
http://i.imgur.com/T8pJVls.png

oarabbus
08-27-2014, 02:37 AM

hmm.

Kobe is ranked 12th and is 45 threes away from catching Nash, JR, after 10 NBA seasons, is 30th all-time, only 406 threes away from catching Dale Ellis at 10th.

He may have made a lot of 3s, but when I think "best shooter" I think 50/40/90 Nash and Miller, not JR "42/37/74" Smith.

J Shuttlesworth
08-27-2014, 02:37 AM

hmm.

JR Smith has a career field goal percentage of 38% in the playoffs

AirFederer
08-27-2014, 02:40 AM
Horrible player, teammate and person. The anti-Bird imho. Has the tools but is the tool.

ImKobe
08-27-2014, 02:48 AM
JR Smith has a career field goal percentage of 38% in the playoffs

And? Majority of those series have been 1st round exits on teams with no contention and with him being a 2nd/3rd best player. Put him as a 6th man on a contender and he'd light teams up at short spurts.

JR isn't necessarily a good player, but if used in the right role, he could really help a team out. But the guy is obviously a headcase and would probably be disgusted if offered a bench role by a team that could use his streaky shooting.
I think he is one of the better shooters as he's a career 37% 3PT shooter with 5 attempts a game, and he takes A LOT of ill-advised 3s (like Kobe), but makes a higher % on them, so he must not be that bad at chucking 3s, right?

Problem with JR is that people sort of hold star-level expectations for him because of how he acts off-court. I think of him as a solid role player (good shooter), who's used in a starting role, where he will never be that efficient. A few years down the line and he gets a bench role on a contending team, people will start to like him a little bit more.

He's played on bad teams for the majority of his career, I don't hold his chucking against him really. It's not like he ruined a team that had a chance of contending or anything, he chucked on medicore Melo teams in Denver and now he's chucking on bad Melo teams on the Knicks. Let's see what happens in the new system this year.

J Shuttlesworth
08-27-2014, 02:51 AM
And? Majority of those series have been 1st round exits on teams with no contention and with him being a 2nd/3rd best player. Put him as a 6th man on a contender and he'd light teams up at short spurts.

JR isn't necessarily a good player, but if used in the right role, he could really help a team out. But the guy is obviously a headcase and would probably be disgusted if offered a bench role by a team that could use his streaky shooting.
I think he is one of the better shooters as he's a career 37% 3PT shooter with 5 attempts a game, and he takes A LOT of ill-advised 3s (like Kobe), but makes a higher % on them, so he must not be that bad at chucking 3s, right?

Problem with JR is that people sort of hold star-level expectations for him because of how he acts off-court. I think of him as a solid role player (good shooter), who's used in a starting role, where he will never be that efficient. A few years down the line and he gets a bench role on a contending team, people will start to like him a little bit more.

He's played on bad teams for the majority of his career, I don't hold his chucking against him really. It's not like he ruined a team that had a chance of contending or anything, he chucked on medicore Melo teams in Denver and now he's chucking on bad Melo teams on the Knicks. Let's see what happens in the new system this year.
There were a couple first round exits, but we're still talking about a 51 game sample size, which isn't that small.

Playoffs is where teams actually play defense

tpols
08-27-2014, 02:52 AM
r. Put him as a 6th man on a contender and he'd light teams up at short spurts.

JR Smith won 6th man of the year on a 54 win two seed in 2013. He shot 33% in the playoffs in total and 27% from 3 pt land. What more do you want?

ImKobe
08-27-2014, 02:54 AM
JR Smith won 6th man of the year on a 54 win 2 seed. He shot 33% in the playoffs in total and 27% from 3 pt land. What more do you want?

That Knicks team was not a contender bro. Just a good enough team to stack up regular season wins in the East (when they were hot the 1st half of the season from 3).

Plus, he got too many minutes for my liking anyways. He's not good playing 30+ minutes a game. Giving him free reign gives him too much confidence to chuck more bad shots. He needs to be played like 20 min at best.

Cali Syndicate
08-27-2014, 02:55 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_game.html

Not agreeing with him by any means but to be fair, he's on this list a good number of times.

BoutPractice
08-27-2014, 02:57 AM
He's on pace for serious rehab, that's about it.

J Shuttlesworth
08-27-2014, 02:58 AM
That Knicks team was not a contender bro. Just a good enough team to stack up regular season wins in the East (when they were hot the 1st half of the season from 3).

Plus, he got too many minutes for my liking anyways. He's not good playing 30+ minutes a game. Giving him free reign gives him too much confidence to chuck more bad shots. He needs to be played like 20 min at best.
You can't be considered one of the greatest shooters of all time if you can only shoot efficiently when playing 20 minutes at most a game :facepalm

Milbuck
08-27-2014, 02:59 AM
http://www.basketball-reference.com/leaders/fg3_game.html

Not agreeing with him by any means but to be fair, he's on this list a good number of times.
People just look at who he is as a person and his reputation around the league, and completely dismiss his ability.. Just going by numbers, he actually is a very, very good 3 point shooter. Obviously makes his fair share of dumb plays and takes a ton of dumb shots...but if you have made over 1300 3s on 37% 3PT shooting by age 28, and have averaged right around 150 3s a season for 6 seasons straight...you deserve some credit.

tpols
08-27-2014, 03:03 AM

Theyre not a contender.. but JR wasa spark off the bench and he sucked.

I guess if you gave JR, Danny Green minutes and told him he could never dribble the ball more than two times without passing it and could never take 2 pointers unless in absolute desperation, hed be alright.. but he wouldnt be JR anymore. He gets the majority of his points from long 2 pointers and hes a ball stopper/team rythym killer.

Cali Syndicate
08-27-2014, 03:08 AM
People just look at who he is as a person and his reputation around the league, and completely dismiss his ability.. Just going by numbers, he actually is a very, very good 3 point shooter. Obviously makes his fair share of dumb plays and takes a ton of dumb shots...but if you have made over 1300 3s on 37% 3PT shooting by age 28, and have averaged right around 150 3s a season for ...you deserve some credit.

He's The very definition of a volume scorer. But in terms of his ability to shoot, can't argue against it.

Brokenbeat
08-27-2014, 03:09 AM

:oldlol: :applause:

Nailed it.

iznogood
08-27-2014, 03:24 AM

I strongly dislike J.R. Smith, but this is a very good argument.

retaxis
08-27-2014, 07:22 AM
I think j r smith is just pretending to be a block head sometimes. I mean no idiot makes hundred million themselves. Its not just talent but skills in building relationships with powerful stars and owners ( melos bff ), able to play well and win 6moty, able to make it through the grinds of professional basketball where people who probably seems to have much higher intelligence and skills busted out. He pretends he is from the street but he grew up ina middle upper class household and knows the whole 'game' well

StephHamann
08-27-2014, 07:54 AM
People just look at who he is as a person and his reputation around the league, and completely dismiss his ability.. Just going by numbers, he actually is a very, very good 3 point shooter. Obviously makes his fair share of dumb plays and takes a ton of dumb shots...but if you have made over 1300 3s on 37% 3PT shooting by age 28, and have averaged right around 150 3s a season for 6 seasons straight...you deserve some credit.

http://gamereax.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/jrceleb.gif

ILLsmak
08-27-2014, 08:00 AM

Haha

-Smak

To4
08-27-2014, 08:01 AM
Honestly.. JR Smith is really crazy talented.. but his personality and brain.. ugh like Michael Beasley. Anybody here in ISH would kill for their talent. they just got no drive.. damn shame..

kshutts1
08-27-2014, 08:18 AM
Milbuck owned this thread. I came in here to say everything he said, and he said it way more eloquently and convincingly than I could have dreamed. Props to him :cheers:

IGOTGAME
08-27-2014, 08:20 AM
Honestly.. JR Smith is really crazy talented.. but his personality and brain.. ugh like Michael Beasley. Anybody here in ISH would kill for their talent. they just got no drive.. damn shame..

JR put in tons of work. That is just stupid group speak.

Draz
08-27-2014, 09:12 AM
We're over thinking him here. He is a good shooter. When he's hot he can't miss.

Nuff Said
08-27-2014, 10:47 AM
We're over thinking him here. He is a good shooter. When he's hot he can't miss.
That shit can be said for a lot of players. All these arguments are stupid. Jr isn't a top ten shooter ever. A serviceable shooter? Maybe. But he's not on pace to be goat level and he should be chastised for this idiotic comment. He's not even the best shooter on his team.

Mr Exlax
08-27-2014, 11:00 AM
#Gone means he's high, right?

First thing I thought

jimmy77x
08-27-2014, 11:07 AM
Yes JR is an idiot but why are so many people hating. He is on pace to become top 15 or more in 3 pointers made. maybe he should have specified "3 pointers" instead of just shooter.

boozehound
08-27-2014, 11:28 AM
well, he is right. Hes on pace to be one of the best 100000 shooters the nba has ever seen.

Legends66NBA7
08-27-2014, 11:39 AM
He ain't worth the trouble.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYnQA8IauP4

el gringos
08-27-2014, 01:27 PM
People are going to be surprised seeing him play off ball in that system.

Career year coming

imdaman99
08-27-2014, 02:02 PM
JR is as close to burnt out due to weed as a current NBA player will get.

As a Knicks fan, I don't like him on the team and will celebrate the day he is off the team. No matter how much success he has in the regular season, I know he will be crappy in the playoffs, it's his MO.

fpliii
08-27-2014, 02:04 PM

As a Knicks fan, I don't like him on the team and will celebrate the day he is off the team. No matter how much success he has in the regular season, I know he will be crappy in the playoffs, it's his MO.
:applause:

Knicks fans deserve better.

ralph_i_el
08-27-2014, 02:14 PM
JJ just takes good shots

J Shuttlesworth
08-27-2014, 02:14 PM
:applause:

Knicks fans deserve better.
:lol Not really, at least when their fanbase is dudes like knicksman, real14, or a boss4real24

CavaliersFTW
08-27-2014, 02:15 PM
http://i.imgur.com/T8pJVls.png
:lol :lol :lol :lol

oarabbus
08-27-2014, 04:04 PM

I was actually shocked that he was partying DURING playoffs. And thirsting for Rihanna. And then got an extension :roll:

Mr. Incredible
08-27-2014, 04:07 PM
Glad he's not on my team :applause:

edrick
08-27-2014, 04:36 PM
I think he meant to say that he's on pace to be the best shooter with the worst shot selection.

Smoke117
08-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Yes JR is an idiot but why are so many people hating. He is on pace to become top 15 or more in 3 pointers made. maybe he should have specified "3 pointers" instead of just shooter.

Jason Kidd is 3rd all time in 3 pointers made and no one in their right mind would call him one of goat shooters (or even a good one in general), so that doesn't mean jack.

christian1923
08-27-2014, 04:39 PM
The numbers back it up. What a bunch of haters here

BigTicket
08-27-2014, 04:44 PM
If you look at pure shooting ability, he might actually be right, but his shot selection is awful.

ralph_i_el
08-27-2014, 06:12 PM
In terms of pure shooting skill he's probably one of the best in the league. If I needed someone to shoot a 30+ ft shot I'd take Him, Durant, or one of the Splash Bros:confusedshrug:

Nuff Said
08-27-2014, 07:32 PM
The numbers don't. Like I said he's not even the best shooter on his team, much less best all time. Foh. ***** will miss the HOF.

Legends66NBA7
08-27-2014, 07:36 PM

I don't think anyone is hating when the numbers don't back it up. There's a long list over him.

Do Knick fans really like him on the team or would they rather see THJ get minutes over him ?

Done_And_Done
08-27-2014, 07:54 PM
If this guy isn't in a financial bind by the time he reaches 43 I'll be mightily surprised.

Done_And_Done
08-27-2014, 07:58 PM
In terms of pure shooting skill he's probably one of the best in the league. If I needed someone to shoot a 30+ ft shot I'd take Him, Durant, or one of the Splash Bros:confusedshrug:

His high degree of talent goes beyond shooting. Give this kid a different brain and he could be a daily force in the league. Unfortunately for him, the one that's planted inside his skull isn't all too functional.

Rake2204
08-28-2014, 12:53 AM
Nothing stops J.R. Smith from putting up shots.

http://gifshost.com/072010/1279617800_Carmelo-Anthony-lying-on-the-floor.gif

Nothing.

oarabbus
08-28-2014, 01:51 AM

One is not like the others out of those. Hardaway Jr might be better, and honestly Carmelo is a better overall "shooter" than JR. Love, Bosh, Ilyasova, Lillard, Wes Matthews, Korver, James harden, Ray Allen, Kobe, Dirk, ginobili, and many more players have a case for being a better shooter than JR.

Plus there are guys like Redick, Crawford, Jason terry, teletovic, pierce, mike miller, you may not agree with 100% of these names but you get the point.

Eric Cartman
08-28-2014, 08:03 AM
He is a great 3 point shooter. Not the greatest, but really good.

I expect way more stupidity from J.R. than this.

Why is it than when Harden called himself the best player in the world people agreed with him, saying that he should be confident in himself and all that bs, but when J.R. says this people take it way to literal. You don't believe that J.R. should believe he is the best shooter in the league (and in history) the same way Harden believes he is the best player (When there are at least 15 better out there).

You can't be good in this league without confidence.

kshutts1
08-28-2014, 08:11 AM
In what world is a player being 142 in terms of 3p percentage all time and 30th in terms of made 3s all time not a great 3p shooter?

How many players have played this game since the 3 was introduced? Really rough numbers... 35 years / 5 (rough estimation of a player's career length) * 12 players per team * 28 teams (I know it's 30 now, but has not always been. Throwing out a low number)

2352. And JR is 142 in %, 30 in makes.

Obviously not all of those players shot 3s regularly, but we start to see how JR is definitely in a high percentile.

Lower the players # to 1411 (.6 * 2352 to account for 3 positions generally shooting 3s) and JR is right at the 90th percentile mark for percentage. And 98th percentile for makes. Yeah, I think he's great.

Nuff Said
08-28-2014, 08:16 AM
In what world is a player being 142 in terms of 3p percentage all time and 30th in terms of made 3s all time not a great 3p shooter?

How many players have played this game since the 3 was introduced? Really rough numbers... 35 years / 5 (rough estimation of a player's career length) * 12 players per team * 28 teams (I know it's 30 now, but has not always been. Throwing out a low number)

2352. And JR is 142 in %, 30 in makes.

Obviously not all of those players shot 3s regularly, but we start to see how JR is definitely in a high percentile.

Lower the players # to 1411 (.6 * 2352 to account for 3 positions generally shooting 3s) and JR is right at the 90th percentile mark for percentage. And 98th percentile for makes. Yeah, I think he's great.
Okay so he shoots a shitload of threes. Should that count against those shooters who are obviously better but don't take as many? Clearly you believe he's HOF material?

kshutts1
08-28-2014, 08:34 AM
Okay so he shoots a shitload of threes. Should that count against those shooters who are obviously better but don't take as many? Clearly you believe he's HOF material?
Good lord no. Not HOF material. But I do think he's one of the better 3p shooters ever.

And quantity counts. It's called the law of averages. Much more difficult to maintain a high percentage (and 38%, going by Milbuck's previous post is high. 40% is elite) with a high volume of shots than with a smaller one. It's what makes Curry arguably the best 3p shooter ever. Kerr has, I believe, the best % ever. But Curry takes so many more and still shoots a legit percentage.

christian1923
08-28-2014, 09:08 AM
I don't think anyone is hating when the numbers don't back it up. There's a long list over him.

Do Knick fans really like him on the team or would they rather see THJ get minutes over him ?
I don't care much for smith but as mill buck pointed out, he's on pace to be top 10 in threes made and he isn't even a starter

ZMonkey11
08-28-2014, 09:32 AM
Nothing stops J.R. Smith from putting up shots.

http://gifshost.com/072010/1279617800_Carmelo-Anthony-lying-on-the-floor.gif

Nothing.

http://38.media.tumblr.com/827ae7df6288d4eee686009c5d2f443e/tumblr_mguhnvoByV1rd2ff1o2_500.jpg

Nuff Said
08-28-2014, 09:44 AM
Good lord no. Not HOF material. But I do think he's one of the better 3p shooters ever.

And quantity counts. It's called the law of averages. Much more difficult to maintain a high percentage (and 38%, going by Milbuck's previous post is high. 40% is elite) with a high volume of shots than with a smaller one. It's what makes Curry arguably the best 3p shooter ever. Kerr has, I believe, the best % ever. But Curry takes so many more and still shoots a legit percentage.
I'm saying tho. I guess a case can be made for 3 pt shooting but as an overall shooter I see no goat case at all.

Nuff Said
11-19-2014, 12:04 AM
Niqgas was actually believing this bullshit

Kidbasketball20
11-19-2014, 12:05 AM
I appreciate the mindset but no.

Dro
11-19-2014, 12:06 AM
:lol

Akrazotile
11-19-2014, 01:30 AM

The problem is that not shooting is also a skill, or rather a disciple, that jay-arr sorely lacks. Thats what prevents him from being as valuable as other players who are equally talented spot up shooters. Well that and defense, character, intelligence, etc

imdaman99
11-19-2014, 01:45 AM
He had the key mental lapse in tonight's game. Knicks on a 10-0 run at the end (with none of the points by him) and he wants to mark himself on the game because he is an insecure selfish fck and gets the ball knocked away which Shump hustles to get the ball back with 4 on the shot clock at halfcourt which leads to a turnover. Just fck off JR and I am so disappointed in Fisher for putting this stupid fck in the game. He has no business being in games at the end unless he is making his shots. I'm sorry but 3-12 does not do it for me. Learn the tricks of the trade Fisher, you're a rookie but you've been an on court coach for years. Please wisen the fck up and keep JR off the floor at the end. Thanks.

STATUTORY
11-19-2014, 01:48 AM
he's got no concentration. he can make shotsfrom anywhere on the floor and get a shot off in game anywhere on the floor but lacks the mental concentration to even make 10 open jumpers in a roll