View Full Version : Timberwolves projected starting lineup

navy
08-27-2014, 06:17 PM
Rubio
Martin
Wiggins
Bennett
Pek

Do they say fvck it and move Lavine into the starting lineup and have Martin as the sixth man? Or is Lavine going to be vying for a SF spot? Is Wiggins ready to play SF?

Thoughts?

04mzwach
08-27-2014, 06:36 PM
Rubio
Martin
Wiggins
Bennett
Pek

Do they say fvck it and move Lavine into the starting lineup and have Martin as the sixth man? Or is Lavine going to be vying for a SF spot? Is Wiggins ready to play SF?

Thoughts?
I think it'll be like this from the start:

Rubio/Lavine
Martin/Wiggins
Brewer/Budinger
Young/Bennett
Pekovic/Dieng

It'll be up to the rookies to see what they can do to get the minutes.

hawksdogsbraves
08-27-2014, 06:37 PM
That team is really going to struggle in the West.

Also I think you're forgetting Thad Young.

The lineup should be:

Rubio
Martin
Wiggins
Young
Pek

I doubt Bennett will start, and I guarantee you Lavine won't.

Very young, they have a good core and will benefit from another high pick next year. This year though, they're going to get crushed. 25 wins.

Meticode
08-27-2014, 06:44 PM
Rubio
Martin
Wiggins
Bennett
Pek

Thoughts?
Did you magically forget about Thaddeus Young? The best player coming to Minnesota in the trade as of right now.

Legends66NBA7
08-27-2014, 06:48 PM
Did you magically forget about Thaddeus Young? The best player coming to Minnesota in the trade as of right now.

Young is better suited off the bench.

navy
08-27-2014, 06:53 PM
Forgot Young.

hangintheair
08-27-2014, 06:55 PM
I would say

Starting:

Rubio
Wiggins
Brewer
Young
Pekovic

Bench:

Barea
Lavine
Martin
Bennette
Dieng

But somtimes Saunders love putting big Lineup
Rubio
Wiggins
Young
Bennette
Pekovic

Meticode
08-27-2014, 06:56 PM
:biggums: Bennett is magically a starter now after coming off one of the worst rookie years ever for a #1 pick?

no pun intended
08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
That team is really going to struggle in the West.

Also I think you're forgetting Thad Young.

The lineup should be:

Rubio
Martin
Wiggins
Young
Pek

I doubt Bennett will start, and I guarantee you Lavine won't.

Very young, they have a good core and will benefit from another high pick next year. This year though, they're going to get crushed. 25 wins.
This.

Legends66NBA7
08-27-2014, 07:03 PM
:biggums: Bennett is magically a starter now after coming off one of the worst rookie years ever for a #1 pick?

What's your point ?

Minnesota isn't contending for a title, let them play the young kids and let Young be the mentor. If they are that serious and want to win games, start Young.

SpecialQue
08-27-2014, 07:04 PM
Rubio
Martin
Wiggins
Bennett
Pek

http://i.imgur.com/g7IsB.gif

poido123
08-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Wolves really didn't need to do that trade for young.

How is Bennett going to develop if you don't give him an opportunity to start? Young is a good player, but not suited for this situation here.

CelticBalla32
08-27-2014, 07:42 PM

On a contender, maybe. On this team? He is the clear-cut starting PF and he complements Pekovic perfectly because he is a face-up stretch-four.

navy
08-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Wolves really didn't need to do that trade for young.

How is Bennett going to develop if you don't give him an opportunity to start? Young is a good player, but not suited for this situation here.
Bennet is a scrub. I thought he would be traded for Young. Guess Philly didnt want him.

Legends66NBA7
08-27-2014, 07:48 PM
On a contender, maybe. On this team? He is the clear-cut starting PF and he complements Pekovic perfectly because he is a face-up stretch-four.

Why do you need Young to start ? Their not going to win many games and winning games for them is pointless for them. They should just get the worst record and get picks. But if Minnesota cares about winning, let them play Young.

Starting Bennett would just give him more confidence and whatever upside is a bonus. Young is already a finished product. He's a stretch 4 that doesn't bang 3's at a good rate.

sfballa13
08-27-2014, 07:50 PM
I think it'll be like this from the start:

Rubio/Lavine
Martin/Wiggins
Brewer/Budinger
Young/Bennett
Pekovic/Dieng

It'll be up to the rookies to see what they can do to get the minutes.

Always liked the Wolves esp the years they had Beasley and were my 2nd favorite team after the Pistons

Even if the Wolves dont make the playoffs that roster is really nice going forward with some flexibility to resign Young or trade Pekovic if needed

Im excited to see Lavine/Wiggins/Bennett trio

poido123
08-27-2014, 07:52 PM
Bennet is a scrub. I thought he would be traded for Young. Guess Philly didnt want him.

You're a moron.

Bennett is not a scrub, he will prove that

Meticode
08-27-2014, 07:55 PM
What's your point ?

Minnesota isn't contending for a title, let them play the young kids and let Young be the mentor. If they are that serious and want to win games, start Young.
My point is Flip Saunders specifically acquired Young because he likes his game and he still feels Minnesota will be competitive in his insane mind.

robert de niro
08-27-2014, 08:22 PM
rubio/mo
martin/lavine/bud
wiggins/shabazz/brewer
young/bennett
pek/dieng (these two will be playing same minutes basically)

people are sleeping on shabazz though, he has been training with an ex-navy seal this offseason (15 pounds lighter)

Meticode
08-27-2014, 08:23 PM
people are sleeping on shabazz though, he has been training with an ex-navy seal this offseason (15 pounds lighter)
:sleeping

navy
08-27-2014, 08:23 PM
Bennett is not a scrub
http://cdn2.sbnation.com/assets/3858751/rkper.jpg

Meticode
08-27-2014, 08:26 PM
So your argument is to start scrubs then. :hammerhead:

Edit: Grammer.

D-FENS
08-27-2014, 08:27 PM
rubio/mo
martin/lavine/bud
wiggins/shabazz/brewer
young/bennett
pek/dieng (these two will be playing same minutes basically)

First mention of Panthro :applause:

Meticode
08-27-2014, 08:29 PM
First mention of Panthro :applause:
Well, he should've never been mentioned technically. The thread stated, "starting lineup."

navy
08-27-2014, 08:29 PM
So you're argument is to start scrubs then. :hammerhead:
I forgot about Young Money. My bad. :confusedshrug:

Meticode
08-27-2014, 08:30 PM
I forgot about Young Money. My bad. :confusedshrug:
:whatever:

poido123
08-27-2014, 08:35 PM

There are a number of reasons a player can have a bad PER in their rookie season.

1. He's a rookie

2. He was overweight

3. He didn't have much of a role on the team, particularly early on last year.

4. He wasn't suited to that team.

He put up an 18/10 game from memory last year? He has flashed potential. In the summer league he has shown to have incredible handles and touch for a guy his size. Can shoot, put the ball on the floor, versatile and looks to have shed weight to where he should be.

He will show improvement this year. PER is just a guide, not the written rule.

hawksdogsbraves
08-27-2014, 09:24 PM
There are a number of reasons a player can have a bad PER in their rookie season.

1. He's a rookie

2. He was overweight

He put up an 18/10 game from memory last year? He has flashed potential. In the summer league he has shown to have incredible handles and touch for a guy his size. Can shoot, put the ball on the floor, versatile and looks to have shed weight to where he should be.

He was awful, no need to make excuses for him.

He'll get plenty of minutes though on this team even coming off the bench, no need to start him yet.

The Young trade makes no sense though. None. The timberwolves should be tanking as hard as the 6ers. They shouldnt be trading away first round picks for average starters.

A young core of Rubio, Wiggins, Lavine, Bennett, and Dieng is a great place to start. Tank for another top 5 pick this year before you think about trying to make the playoffs, because this roster has no shot right now.

navy
08-27-2014, 09:28 PM

1. He's a rookie

2. He was overweight

1. Now he's a sophmore

2. Who's fault is that?

3. Because he was a scrub

4. Because he was a scrub

Wiggins/Dieng/Lavine//Shabazz >>>>>>>> Bennett.

Let those guys develop and trade Bennett. :confusedshrug:

Legends66NBA7
08-27-2014, 09:32 PM
1. Now he's a sophmore

2. Who's fault is that?

If that's the case, Minnesota should keep Bennett for a better chance at high picks.

SwishSquared
08-27-2014, 09:32 PM
He was awful, no need to make excuses for him.

He'll get plenty of minutes though on this team even coming off the bench, no need to start him yet.

The Young trade makes no sense though. None. The timberwolves should be tanking as hard as the 6ers. They shouldnt be trading away first round picks for average starters.

A young core of Rubio, Wiggins, Lavine, Bennett, and Dieng is a great place to start. Tank for another top 5 pick this year before you think about trying to make the playoffs, because this roster has no shot right now.
This right here. I would have tried to trade Martin, Brewer, and Pek for cap relief and picks. I at least would have dumped Martin in the process of trading Love. I know you want a veteran process around rookies to maintain a professional environment and have some experienced guys mentor the young ones, but this team could land a potential stud in the top 5 next year. Why keep vets to get the #10 pick when you could gun for #1?

I wouldn't have done the Thad Young trade either. I would have given Bennett plenty of burn and started Dieng. Giving plenty reps to the

Rubio-LaVine-Wiggins-Bennett-Dieng line-up

should be a priority. I'm not sure if he'll come in much better, but Shabazz is apparently taking fitness seriously this summer. They need to see if he's worth anything, also. I guess they (mainly Flip) don't want to completely tear it down though.

poido123
08-27-2014, 09:46 PM
1. Now he's a sophmore

2. Who's fault is that?

I'll ask you, who do you think will be a better player, Lavine or Bennett?

navy
08-27-2014, 09:47 PM
I'll ask you, who do you think will be a better player, Lavine or Bennett?
You cant get worse than Anthony Bennett. :confusedshrug:

poido123
08-27-2014, 09:50 PM

I can tell you that lavine will NEVER be better than Bennett. Lavine is all hops, barely any fundamentals.

navy
08-27-2014, 09:54 PM
I can tell you that lavine will NEVER be better than Bennett. Lavine is all hops, barely any fundamentals.

Lavine will put up a better per than 1.1. :confusedshrug:

poido123
08-27-2014, 10:00 PM
Lavine will put up a better per than 1.1. :confusedshrug:

LOL you hang on to that irrelevant 1.1 PER in his rookie year like it matters :oldlol:

kennethgriffin
08-27-2014, 10:04 PM
anyone who thinks wiggins wont start should shoot themselves. hes the franchise. people will be buying tickets to see him for 40 minutes a night. who cares if theyre slightly less efficient. they aint goin no****inwhere

No.45
08-27-2014, 10:05 PM
poor kevin martin. Dude needs to be on a contender.

NugzFan
08-27-2014, 10:11 PM
I was waiting for the weekly timberwolves lineup thread to pop up.

I can now sleep well tonight.

Demitri98
08-27-2014, 10:18 PM
Rubio/Mo Williams (you all forgot him)
Martin/Lavine
Wiggins/Budinger or Brewer
Thad Young/Bennett
Pek/Gorgui Dieng

This team has some serious potential to be dangerous in about 5 years if they can stay together and healthy.

Milbuck
08-27-2014, 10:23 PM
They should just put up a giant middle finger to the whole "respect your vets" thing.

Develop your young guys, they're the ones that are going to take you to the playoffs. Not Kevin ****ing Martin.

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Bennett
Dieng

That should be their starting lineup, and those 5 guys should get the most minutes. That's the core of the future with the highest ceiling, give them burn from the start so 3-4 years from now they'll have the experience and chemistry to do some damage. Respecting Pek and KMart and all those guys has absolutely no benefit, all it does is push the team further and further from contention by putting off developing the guys that actually matter..if the vets are pissed, ship their asses out or let them walk.

Legends66NBA7
08-27-2014, 10:24 PM
They should just put up a giant middle finger to the whole "respect your vets" thing.

Develop your young guys, they're the ones that are going to take you to the playoffs. Not Kevin ****ing Martin.

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Bennett
Dieng

That should be their starting lineup, and those 5 guys should get the most minutes. That's the core of the future with the highest ceiling, give them burn from the start so 3-4 years from now they'll have the experience and chemistry to do some damage. Respecting Pek and KMart and all those guys has absolutely no benefit..if they're pissed, ship their asses out or let them walk.

I would think they would trade them instead of letting them walk.

But agreed nonetheless.

CelticBaller
08-27-2014, 10:26 PM
poor kevin martin. Dude needs to be on a contender.
poor? he left a contender for the $$$, homie is far from poor

Milbuck
08-27-2014, 10:27 PM
You're stuck in last year.

Seriously, watch some Summer League tape of Bennett. Obviously you can't judge a player thoroughly, but it gives you an idea of their tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, potential, etc.

Bennett looks like a completely different player. He's still a tank, but quicker, more explosive, more confident, aggressive, etc. In short, the potential's there and he looks like a top 5 pick in a draft.

I know it's fun to clown on Bennett, but he's actually not a bust. Not yet.

navy
08-27-2014, 10:30 PM
You're stuck in last year.

Seriously, watch some Summer League tape of Bennett. Obviously you can't judge a player thoroughly, but it gives you an idea of their tendencies, strengths, weaknesses, potential, etc.

Bennett looks like a completely different player. He's still a tank, but quicker, more explosive, more confident, aggressive, etc. In short, the potential's there and he looks like a top 5 pick in a draft.

I know it's fun to clown on Bennett, but he's actually not a bust. Not yet.
Lavine was good in summer league as well....

I remember Bennett beasting in the preseason or summer league last season.
Dude is gonna bust. Especially in basketball hell Minnesota? Good Lord.

Milbuck
08-27-2014, 10:36 PM
Lavine was good in summer league as well....

I remember Bennett beasting in the preseason or summer league last season.
Dude is gonna bust. Especially in basketball hell Minnesota? Good Lord.
Never said anything about Lavine. Aside from messing with Cocaine80s, I think he'll be a fine NBA player.

And you didn't see that, because Bennett was coming off an injury which severely compromised his conditioning. He didn't play in the Summer League last year, and he averaged 9 ppg on 35% shooting in the preseason. He sucked all around last year. Which means that him looking like a totally different player this summer is for real.

It's not that uncommon...players can bounce back from shit rookie seasons. It's very possible, and you had to have watched Bennett this summer to see it.

And market has nothing to do with it. It's the talent around you that matters. And Rubio, Wiggins, Lavine, Dieng, Shabazz, etc is a shitton of good young talent that can make a bad situation very good very quickly.

SwishSquared
08-27-2014, 10:53 PM

Rubio
Lavine
Wiggins
Bennett
Dieng

That should be their starting lineup, and those 5 guys should get the most minutes. That's the core of the future with the highest ceiling, give them burn from the start so 3-4 years from now they'll have the experience and chemistry to do some damage. Respecting Pek and KMart and all those guys has absolutely no benefit, all it does is push the team further and further from contention by putting off developing the guys that actually matter..if the vets are pissed, ship their asses out or let them walk.
That's what Flip should have done. You either try to be really good or bottom out. You basically have to do the latter after sending out your best player (who happens to be considered top 10-12 in NBA) on a mediocre squad.

He should have tried to trade Pek to Thunder prior to draft for Perkins + Thabeet + salary filler for at least their #21 (if not #29 also- could have thrown in this year's 2nd to give the Thunder something else). In Love trade, should have insisted on Martin/ non-guaranteed deals (throw in anybody as filler) swap, then sent those to LAC for Dudley and a first. Brewer and Buddinger (if he opts in) at least become expirings (I think) for 2015-2016 season to at least try to facilitate trades. Both those guys shouldn't get minutes over any young guys, including Shabazz at first.

I mean Philly might end up being the joke of the league 5 years from now with Hinkie's experiment potentially blowing up in his face, but you can see the potential in all those picks & young talent he's hoarded. Jason Richardson is the only bad contract and he's expiring this year.

chips93
08-27-2014, 10:59 PM
its been widely reported that the woles dont want to tank, and the fact that they went after klay thompson (a proven commodity) and that they traded for thad shows that.

they want to stay competitive while rebuilding. they may be naive, but i do admire them for not tanking.

its supposed to be a competitive sport, some people have too much pride and respect for the game to tank, and they should be respected for that.

Real14
08-27-2014, 11:01 PM
They will be better than the nuggets for sure.

Legends66NBA7
08-27-2014, 11:06 PM
its been widely reported that the woles dont want to tank, and the fact that they went after klay thompson (a proven commodity) and that they traded for thad shows that.

they want to stay competitive while rebuilding. they may be naive, but i do admire them for not tanking.

its supposed to be a competitive sport, some people have too much pride and respect for the game to tank, and they should be respected for that.

So then they have to make the playoffs in the Western Conference and try and win a series or 2. That's competitive, IMO. They aren't going to that.

livingby3's
08-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Pekovic deserves better, teams should hunt him down

NugzFan
08-28-2014, 02:19 AM
They will be better than the nuggets for sure.

Oh it's you again :oldlol: